Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
That was my first choice, but I felt I was getting a little more "obscure" with Maiava, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
https://www.nfl.com/_amp/qb-index-week-1...impression=true

QB Index, Week 14: Baker Mayfield vaults into the top 15
by Ali Bhanpuri, Tom Blair, Gennaro Filice & Dan Parr

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Truly, Gase came out in public and stated he failed Darnold.

Sam will get another chance.

I studied Darnold during the draft process. I watched every snap in college. I read every scouting report. I looked at everything available I could find on the internet.

Really liked him. Wanted to draft him. Still believe he will become a good player.

No quarterback can succeed alone. After two years in college you are not ready for the NFL. Quarterback is a position of development. If you are not coached well and don't have talent around you; you will fail.

I can not say for certain if Sam will succeed with another team. There will quarterback openings. If I were one of those teams. I would take that chance.

Ive said it over and over...JETS cut him and he ends up a Patriot with 2 rings.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't see BB coaching another 15 years and it would take at least that long for Darnold to win two rings. Unless he helps the Pats get a 1st overall QB.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

It would not surprise me if Darnold ends up with the Patriots.

Cam is not the answer there. He most likely will not return next year.

His potential is yet to be defined. I don't think his time with the Jets was a true barometer.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The Jets would be fools to trade him to the Pats.

Legend
Legend

If the Jets (who have proven they are fools)have given up on Darnold. If they want Lawrence. And they can get a good deal.

I don't think it matters to them which team.

I don't know what Belichick thinks about Darnold? He has seen him. If they like him and are willing to after him aggressively.

We shall see.

49'ers are another possibility. Saints. Steelers.

He will get a chance.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He will get a chance I just hope it's not the Steelers.

Legend
Legend
I can see Darnold to the Bears for some reason

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

The 49ers might be a good fit.

In the end it will be the team willing to give up the most.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
No, it will be the NFC team giving up the most...unless Pitt were to give 4 1st rounders or something insane. There is nothing the Patriots could offer to make that deal happen.

Wentz to the Pats or Steelers sounds about right, though.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
who cares - glad we chose Baker.

Legend
Legend

#Browns  WR Jarvis Landry said Baker Mayfield has been one of the hardest workers since he got here

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We need to keep Baker and try to further develop him. It took us long enough just to get a decent QB like him. For some teams, including us, it seems like it takes forever to get a good QB. You could make a case the Jets haven't had a really good QB since Joe Namath and the Bears since Sid Luckman. Baker is starting to show promise and I hope he keeps it up.

Legend
Legend

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
We need to keep Baker and try to further develop him. It took us long enough just to get a decent QB like him. For some teams, including us, it seems like it takes forever to get a good QB. You could make a case the Jets haven't had a really good QB since Joe Namath and the Bears since Sid Luckman. Baker is starting to show promise and I hope he keeps it up.

There is no reason to move on from Baker at this point. He has progressed to the point where you have to keep him. With that said, when there were times people, including me, were unsure about him I believe the thought was that we would replace him with a veteran like Matthew Stafford or Matt Ryan. Our team is ready to win now and cannot afford to go through another rookie QB process right now.

M
Legend
Legend
M
So weird getting to the end and hearing the crowd roar on big plays.

Nice documentary. Sort of highlights even more why I don't get the Baker hate - dude worked hard and earned to get everything he every had. I guess the salt in the wound of the OSU game is a bigger factor than I can fathom.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

There is no reason to move on from Baker at this point. He has progressed to the point where you have to keep him. With that said, when there were times people, including me, were unsure about him I believe the thought was that we would replace him with a veteran like Matthew Stafford or Matt Ryan. Our team is ready to win now and cannot afford to go through another rookie QB process right now.

He's still improving - I don't get these posts where the implication is we are settling for some, possibly average, QB. If everything went to hell the last 4 weeks - maybe? But that's not at all where we are at.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Nice documentary. Sort of highlights even more why I don't get the Baker hate - dude worked hard and earned to get everything he every had. I guess the salt in the wound of the OSU game is a bigger factor than I can fathom.

I'd seen, heard, and read brief mentions about his road to college ball, but I didn't really know or understand it all. Seeing it all put together here, I have no doubt that as long as he keeps that chip on his shoulder, he can and will out-work anyone and he WILL become one of the greats.

That said, he got lax & lazy last year... and that is what awaits if he rests on his laurels.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
There is almost no chance at all of us moving on from Baker. Period.

The *ONLY* way we skip picking up his 5th Year option is if we just outright renegotiate and extend him in order to Pay the Man (not even sure we can do that, yet.. the CBA can be weird).

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Anybody who will look back and embrace how awful some of the QBs have been MUST admit we are worlds ahead with BM and have seen it on the field in spite of a parade of weak coaches and system issues.

Pay the man. BM can draw criticism, agreed. He also provides more to build on than we have had, and he seems to be earning his keep. He also has some people around him winning most games, and KS hasn't had an ideal year to start, and less than a season with his team. Gotta cross the street and walk a fair piece cherrypicking problems to borrow trouble. I am delighted to be playing for something late in the year.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'd seen, heard, and read brief mentions about his road to college ball, but I didn't really know or understand it all. Seeing it all put together here, I have no doubt that as long as he keeps that chip on his shoulder, he can and will out-work anyone and he WILL become one of the greats.

That said, he got lax & lazy last year... and that is what awaits if he rests on his laurels.

Agree we will keep him.... 100%. What I question is the way that some evaluate that decision as if we are somehow compromising and getting a below average QB that might be average one day.

As for the work ethic - it's easy to blame Freddie, and he's due a slice of it ... who think Stefanski would have enabled the same lackluster effort? ... but Baker getting married, Baker coming to the NFL and lighting it up ... Baker owns plenty of it too. IN the end - probably a little like when Chris Carter got cut - it may be the best thing that happened for his pro career.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Really good stuff. Thx for your insights. As a Saints fan, I would love for the Saints to pickup Darnold in the offseason and see what Coach Sean Payton could do with him. Until recently, Payton has sucked on the defensive side of the ball, but his ability to spot and develop QBs is nearly undeniable. I'd like to see the kid get a chance in a real offense.

Last edited by cajuknight; 12/12/20 04:13 PM.
Legend
Legend
Baker owns plenty of it too. IN the end - probably a little like when Chris Carter got cut - it may be the best thing that happened for his pro career.

Baker owns all of it; we're all responsible for our own actions. That isn't to be overly harsh, just being realistic; and, I agree, and I think we're seeing that the wakeup call was heard loud & clear.

This season was just as a lot of people expected early on... there have been some real ups & downs. There's probably been more ups than I expected, actually, as I expected a much more rough idling offense... but, I think we're now starting to see these guys click and get in a rhythm. Of course, that really only holds true if it continues this coming Monday. If they look the way they did in the opener, you can throw out any and all impressions of growth.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's more than fair. Freddie was a large negative influence but Baker is responsible for Baker.

Legend
Legend

Thanks for posting that.

I had not seen that. What was really of interest was his coaches and teammates. How much respect he has.

I am all in for the guy. I want him to be great.

Legend
Legend

Another thing that stands out and is consistent is.

His work ethic. How hard he is on himself. How bad he wants it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

My favorite line is when Baker says he blocks better than David.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Probably true.

I pointed out in the post TN. game.

Njoku tried to block a guy missed him completely and fell on his face.

On another play same game. He tried again to make a block.
Absolutely pathetic. the guy went around him like his feet were in cement.

For a guy who has crazy athletic skills. Can jump out the building. In his time in Cleveland he has learned nothing about blocking. Or, he does not care. Or, he simply can not block even with instruction.

Legend
Legend
I literally LOL'd at that one grin

The most unfortunate thing about that is that it means that not just us on this site give him crap about how bad he is at blocking - his own teammates roast him over it.

I now have zero doubt that this is why he is the 3rd string TE. The infamous "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" idiom applies.

Browns is the Browns

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's not fast enough to be a WR is he?

Legend
Legend
No, but WR's need to block, too... and, his hands are still questionable at times.

He's simply an incomplete player.

Browns is the Browns

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Another in a long line of our "not worth a 1st round pick" guys.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Njoku didn't appreciate that one.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"The guy's an idiot" - favorite line - and so true.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer

It didn't really sound like he was joking, either.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: Hammer

It didn't really sound like he was joking, either.

The look on his face said he wasn't.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yet he lobbied for him to be coach. So I think some of it was in jest.

Legend
Legend
I think all of it was in jest; it was just a solid deadpan delivery which fits Baker's sense of humor completely. Just watch his pressers lately with the pop culture references.

Browns is the Browns

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Comparisons 3

Link Copied to Clipboard