Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I laugh when I hear people say oh Baker needs a good O-line to be successful. What QB doesn't? Of course a QB needs a good O-Line. Would Tom Brady have been as good if we drafted him and put him behind some of the lines we've had here? I think not. Ridiculous!

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
If you click on the video, you can view it on YouTube.

Yep, Njoku stumbled. Very early recognition. You don't have time to see if he'll recover.

All Pro
All Pro
We got to see further confirmation that a passing game that runs through Jarvis with Higgins beating up on #2 CB's (technically #3 CB with Bradberry out) and DPJ being the big play threat is surprisingly effective. I believe all 3 have a catch rate of over 70% (that's an "all hand's team" sort of rate).

Do y'all realize that Higgins yards per target is over 11? Not yards per catch...per target. Heck DPJ's is over 17! Yeah, small sample size, but how n the heck does a rookie 6th round pick have almost 300 yards on 17 targets?

Secretly, I think his emergence as a deep threat is what is actually making it click. Essentially the Breshad Perriman role from 2018.

I really hope Odell comes back full boar next year and we extend Higgins.

WR1: OBJ, DPJ
WR2: Jarvis and Higgins
with Hodge for speed and another mid-round rookie to finish off the room.

That's a crazy WR group.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
OBJ will not be on the team next year.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Higgins is not a rookie

Joe Thomas #73
All Pro
All Pro
That's the spirit.:)

Anyway, back to the game. The Giants run D is exactly what I thought it was. What I want Cleveland's to be. Hunt and..err...D'Ernest had nice runs to the outside, but their D-line stopped up the inside very effectively.

Go after Tomlinson in free agency (the Giants have to figure out Leonard Williams and likely Logan Ryan) and "extend" Richardson (I went in to that a few weeks back where an extension for 2021-2023, though really 2021-2022 would be both cheap and advantageous for both parties).

Giving up almost 6 yards a clip to Alfred Morris is not acceptable.

Patiently waiting for Garret to get his lungs back is frustrating. I didn't get mine back for over 6 months. frown

Ward being back saved our pass defense (or maybe it was playing against "OMAHA!" and/or possibly having Sendejo out). That 1st half defense was pretty sketch.

ON TO...err...NEW YORK!

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Higgins is not a rookie

Lol, DPJ, man. I know I was talking about both. No worries.

All Pro
All Pro
Next time I watch a game with McCoy as the starting QB, I'm going to do a drinking game.

Take a drink at "OMAHA!."

Take a shot every time he calls out the MIKE.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

I agree.

Legend
Legend
I agree too ... I can see us trading him if possible, and then drafting a WR in a mid round

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd ask for a 2nd and 3rd but end up settling for a 3rd next year a 3rd the following year. Thoughts?

Legend
Legend
Yeah if we could get a 2nd I’d take it quickly

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree too ... I can see us trading him if possible, and then drafting a WR in a mid round

I could see us drafting a WR inside round 3 depending how the draft unfolds.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The Good:
O-Line, especially Harris stepping up.
WRs - Juice, Hollywood, and DPJ
Baker

OV
Sheldon
Goodson
Ward
Joseph

The Bad:
Parkey - albeit 48 yard extra point no gimme. Just not confident he will hit a clutch 50+ yard if needed. Better than what we have had the past few years, however.

The Ugly:
Injuries - Hubbard, Richardson, MG (huffing and puffing - looked gassed from the get-go).

Anyone notice Collinsworths' references to Baker's throwing motion to Elway. I thought it was spot on. He can rip it like Elway, too.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This season is not over. Actually if playoffs are your standard, our most important games are yet to come. But even with that said I still can't help but reflect. To reflect on the metamorphosis we have all seen take place in front of our collective faces. And yes, Baker is a huge part of that but it's not isolated to Baker.

We have witnessed a bunch if individuals formed into a team. Because while we have all called the Browns "our team" for a very long time now, they have not been playing as a collective body that one would think of when you say the word team. And let me explain just how critical that is.

A team is a group of people who work together as a unit. A group that feels they can depend on each other to do their job. A group of people who as individuals understand that working as a team is more important than their individual accomplishments. People who understand that their teammates, yes, their football family are depending on them. Only under these circumstances will you see the metamorphosis we have all witnessed.

That can only be accomplished when the head of your family, in this case Stefanski, makes this happen. Only when the members of the family believe the patriarch is the person capable of and trustworthy of following and believing in.

We saw a rookie, third string, sixth round pick at Guard come in and play like a pro. Not enough praises can be stated about Bill Callahan. This is something we haven't seen here in a very, very long time. For some of our younger fans maybe never. Since the days of Belichick I can't remember a time that I had any confidence in the depth chart to this extent. And even last night I was extremely worried until I saw the evidence first hand.

We are witnessing a different Browns team. Unlike some I don't think we are a finished product yet. There are mountains left to climb. But in a single season I've seen this team grow by leaps and bounds. I've witnessed Stefanski and company do more with this team than I ever thought possible. I've witnessed Baker reach a comfort level the likes of which I've never seen before and an offense that hits on all cylinders.

It feels good to be a Browns fan again.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I always hated when people pointed this out when he was here, but I guess I'm going to do it now. I saw Colt look fairly ineffective and then pad his yardage stats in the 4th.
I laughed at Freddie's call at the end of their first drive. This is what we (some) came to see.

Baker looked really really good. Only had a couple off throws, and didn't have a dominating run game to lean on (our line was hurting, and their Dline is stout).

Our defense stepped up when they needed to. Curious how people feel about Wilson getting benched now that we've watched the game. I thought our LB play looked just as hit-or-miss as it did before.

Karl Joseph had himself a GAME. Really popped off the screen in the first quarter, but was also making plays throughout the game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Glad with the win. Nervous about next weekend now after the Jets get a W. Maybe it was Williams?

Anyhow, the Giants dared us to defeat them with the passing game by loading against the run. After we started beating them with the passing game, they adjusted to.........still daring us to beat them with the passing game by loading against the run.

And we did.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

And that will be a GOOD thing. We don't need prima donnas who pout when they don't get the ball. We need TEAM players who are OK getting what they get and playing their part helping the TEAM win. Period.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: The Beast

And that will be a GOOD thing. We don't need prima donnas who pout when they don't get the ball. We need TEAM players who are OK getting what they get and playing their part helping the TEAM win. Period.

OBJ blocked his heart out, and got injured trying to run down someone after an INT, honestly I think he played a bit too selflessly there.

I dunno where this primadonna attitude thing comes from. OBJ is an elite talent and it would be insane to cut him or trade him for scraps.

Unless of course his knee doesn't heal right, nothing we can do about that.

Legend
Legend
OBJ is a very emotional player. I have seen no evidence of him being a bad teammate. The guy works his butt off and I have no doubt he will return better than ever.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
All of that sort of talk is media manufactured.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I don't get the OBJ hate. Dude is known for being an exceptional teammate from stars down to UDFA who might not even make the team. I don't confuse emotion from him as being a diva. His desire to win is real and I think we are even better with him.. Hell the man blew out his knee chasing down a defender who just picked the ball off on a horrible throw. Thats being all in. Sucks we are having this success without him. You know its got to hurt him

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
10-4!!!!!!

I saw multiple players making good plays throughout the game.
I saw a QB who continues to improve every week.
I saw an OL show a next man up mentality that could only be considered a myth by this fan base in years past.
I saw a team continue to win games they should win.
I saw a team that continues to limit penalties.

Jarvis IMHO it was a BS penalty. Anyone else notice how long it took to show the replay?
The play is over. Jarvis has his back to the DB as he celebrates into the camera. The DB bumps into Jarvis... BS.

I heard Collinsworth compliment Judge for accepting Landry's penalty and keeping a point off the board. I had to run it back. My 9 Y/O daughter would have known to accept that penalty.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I didn't see it mentioned, but I'm getting concerned by Garrett's health. Lamar got COVID around the same time as Myles, and he's running wild the last 3 weeks. Garrett could not beat a rookie LT that has not been very good, and was winded like 2 plays into the second half. Nothing to do but hope it gets better I guess.

Legend
Legend

It does feel good. Like a kid wanting praise I cruise for Brown's gossip.

Kevin Stefanski and his staff deserve major praise.

Talent alone does not provide direction. Team chemistry is formed only when it is cultivated.

KS has been impressive. I listen closely to him at press conferences. I pay attention to team interactions.

Hard Knocks and Building the Browns are great shows to get a feeling for team culture.

I have never raced in one of those long boats with all the rowers. But clearly they all work to a synchronized beat. Or the boat won't go straight.

That is how we are now playing as a team. Like we are insync.

Baker is playing well because of how he is being protected and trusting that protection. We run the ball well because the OL is a unit.

Football has to be a team game or it does not work. Players have to depend on and trust each other. They are all fitted together to form a whole.

We are finally where we all have yearned to be.

And it feels great. I feel like wearing all my Brown's gear. Walk around and go "damn right."

After getting kicked around for so long. Boss dawg feels real good.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Covid affects everyone differently. It's just that simple.
Told my wife last night "Myles still isnt back to normal."

Yes, he seemed winded.

one person can get it and die. A similar person can get it and feel little effcts, if any at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
re: OBJ and Baker

In 2018, when Baker replaced Taylor and never looked back, he was impressive. In 2019 Freddy was in charge and the team had acquired a superstar receiver in OBJ. Baker's performance suffered for a complexity of causes, one of which was an emphasis on getting the ball to OBJ.

In 2020 the season seemed to start as more of the same. But when OBJ got hurt, it was almost like the Wizard of OZ, in black and white until the house landed in OZ, then everything was in color. The 2018 version of Mayfield reappeared. And the assumption was made by some that Baker and the team are better off without OBJ.

I disagree. As with everything else in life, things are complicated. Sometimes we can misjudge the importance of a single event. I suggest that due to many other forces at work, 2019 Baker wasn't ready to assimilate OBJ into how he best plays without overemphasizing his role. I further suggest that when OBJ returns, Baker will be better at involving Beckham without overemphasizing him. And that has the potential to become what we all envisioned when the trade was made.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
I would think that if there were any sort of serious worries about his long-term health that he wouldn't be out there.

It is concerning that he kinda disappeared last night. You would think all the circumstances would set him up for a big stat night.

It doesn't explain all of what is going on, but I did see it mentioned that when you get put on the COVID list, you're not allowed to work out. That would explain at least a small part of his cardio suffering somewhat.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Many refuse to accept the obvious. At the beginning of this season we were once again dealing with an entire new offense and defense. Most of it was being taught on Zoom. The longer the season progressed, the more the offense progressed. It's a rather simple and easy concept to grasp but some people are just looking for a different answer.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Ehh.... there have been plenty of times in the recent past that expected gains over the course of the season due to more familiarity with the scheme just never happened. I don't blame people that started thinking this effect wasn't real.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

This argument/discussion about the Brown's being better off without Odell. I just do not get.

I know all about the stats. However, that is a perfect example as to why stats do not always tell the story.

When Odell went down in week 7 we went into the bye week.

It was then that the coaching staff re evaluated everything. What was done right. What didn't work well. What do we do as coaches to improve. A complete analysis of the first seven weeks.

The first four weeks was basically learning how to fly while being in the air. It was an extension of training camp. Because training camp was mostly zoom calls.

Since Odell went down the team has evolved. They have improved overall. The stats don't reflect that. They are just numbers.

You are not better when you lose big time talent.

Next year if all goes well with his rehab. We will see what Odell brings to the party.

It is easy to look at the numbers and determine Odell was a problem. The problem was the team had not hit full stride.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The question I would have to pose to you is were any of those coaches as successful as Stefanski? First one has to be an effective leader and have schemes that fit into your talent for it to work.

I give Stefanski the credit rather than give the credit to the lack of OBJ being in the line up.

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Everyone likes OBJ. People understand his talent. All interviews see his loss as a loss to the team.

All signs point to that he still likes playing with Jarvis.

I dont think its an odell problem as much as its a Baker problem. Baker needed to get comfortable in Stefanski's offense.

I think one more offseason under their belt youll find that they click. J

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
OBJ is still a talent and a threat to any D. However, it does seem that we play better without him. If Kevin S., Baker and the other coaches can sit down with him and explain what role they want him to play and he excepts it, whatever that might be, then I'm all for keeping him. IMO he has to be ONE of the WR's not THE WR so to speak. If that can happen then keep him. JMO

Legend
Legend

Please keep posting Baldy's breakdowns.

I am a huge fan and don't really know where to get his stuff.

He has the tape where you can really see how plays develop and I love his comments.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Please keep posting Baldy's breakdowns.

I am a huge fan and don't really know where to get his stuff.

He has the tape where you can really see how plays develop and I love his comments.

Click on his name in the Twitter post. *next to the "verified" checkmark)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

This argument/discussion about the Brown's being better off without Odell. I just do not get.

I know all about the stats. However, that is a perfect example as to why stats do not always tell the story.

When Odell went down in week 7 we went into the bye week.

It was then that the coaching staff re evaluated everything. What was done right. What didn't work well. What do we do as coaches to improve. A complete analysis of the first seven weeks.

The first four weeks was basically learning how to fly while being in the air. It was an extension of training camp. Because training camp was mostly zoom calls.

Since Odell went down the team has evolved. They have improved overall. The stats don't reflect that. They are just numbers.

You are not better when you lose big time talent.

Next year if all goes well with his rehab. We will see what Odell brings to the party.

It is easy to look at the numbers and determine Odell was a problem. The problem was the team had not hit full stride.

I agree with the general post and most of your points, except 1. The change from Baker the confused to the Baker in charge was that same game. It wasn't next game after the break, it was the next possession.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: The Beast

And that will be a GOOD thing.We don't need prima donnas who pout when they don't get the ball. We need TEAM players who are OK getting what they get and playing their part helping the TEAM win. Period.

I'm sure you have a boatload of examples to back this up.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Giants 6 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard