Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
Is it that hard to find a FA kicker who can kick a [censored] extra point? This guy sucks.

I need to read the rules of this message board
Legend
Legend
he wont be back next year... can't imagine...

<><

#gmstrong
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I remember the Panthers selecting Harrison Butker with a 7th round pick, if we can find such prospect in this draft, I dont mind taking one, just dont let him walk like the stupid Panthers did.

I need to read the rules of this message board
Legend
Legend
He started solid and has really regressed. He’ll be gone after next Sunday, or with a miracle, the next one.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I doubt it. He will probably be in camp next year and will be given a chance to compete. I don't know what happened to him, I guess it's in his head....

Dude was 32/33 in XP before last week and he's missed a big one in each of the last 2 weeks... He was also 17/19 in FGs before last week (and one of those misses was in the gail force winds against the Raiders) and he missed a big one against the Ravens.

The Browns will look at his total body of work, which honestly isn't that bad, and give him a chance to get better and compete for the job next year..

yebat' Putin
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Parkey has like like 9 doinks in his career, you know how accurate you have to be to hit a goalpost by kicking it? Dude has skills lmao

O
Legend
Legend
O
Draft a kicker and bring in a legit FA. That missed XP was huge.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Theres got to be a better K out there! I’ve looked and can’t find a good free agent list

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Trade a 2nd and 4th rounder for Justin Tucker?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Draft Evan McPherson out of Florida.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Evan McPhearson will fix the woes at kicker. Sometimes you just have to pick your guy and go with it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
A good kicker will not be sitting at home during the season.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Seibert was supposed to be our answer.

Legend
Legend
I would hate to take him into this major game. Use The Hammer instead? Just cuts our throat when we have no margin for error. Pressure lives in his zip code for that position. But it is OK not to cripple your team regularly. Can't cope with pressure? Not mentally prepared? Not sure I have much interest in the explanation.

We need a kicker who is more reliable.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Evan McPhearson will fix the woes at kicker. Sometimes you just have to pick your guy and go with it.

Like Seibert? This franchise and it's fan base is way too impatient to draft and keep a kicker. Kickers in Cleveland have a shelf life of about three missed kicks before they are "garbage" and need to be cut.

Kickers aren't perfect, sometimes they miss kicks. You aren't just going to draft the next Vinatieri or Tucker. If it were that easy, every team would have a can't miss kicker.

(Rant not intended to be aimed at you, 'peen wink )

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

When wind and other weather is not a issue.

Kickers need to be at 98%+ for extra points.

40 yards and under 90%+ .

I have little patience for kickers that can not make extra points.

I mean all you do is practice one thing. No contact.

Few variables.

Make the damn kick. Parkey cost the Ravens game. A effing extra point and a 38 yard field goal.

You would think that with only 32 teams that you could find a reliable kicker. Think of all the colleges that there are. All have kickers.

Damn kickers

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've seen this in multiple games over the past couple years. We get things going then the kicker misses the extra point and it totally deflates the team.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Legend
Legend
O
You don't think his recent misses starts the "well, he has been cut by 3 teams... maybe he isn't our long-term solution" conversation?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Not saying that at all. I'm just saying that there is always a bright new future with a "this kid is a can't miss" college kicker. Zane Gonzalez was the best prospect in years... Lou Groza Award, All-American, blah, blah, blah. We pulled the plug because he missed a couple FGs (and we always need a scapegoat)... Looked like a huge mistake, now? Who knows? Next up -- Siebert, head-scratcher as fifth rounder... misses a few kicks... gets the axe. Wash, rinse, repeat.

How 'bout we find a solid FA kicker and pay him big bucks to come ruin his career stats in Cleveland weather? And then understand that he will periodically miss kicks... sometimes even important kicks... just like every other kicker in the history of the game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I'm not saying we should've left Parkey in NY. I'm just saying that he should not feel at all set in his roster spot going into training camp. We need to throw as much competition his way as possible.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Agree 100%. I think his career as a kicker is toast.

The fork in the road is draft or don't draft... Drafting a kicker means being patient and possibly another swing and miss. Not ideal for a team with championship aspirations.

Playing "eeny-meeny-miny-moe" with second-tier camp fodder is much the same.

FA kickers are hard to come by, if there is a proven kicker out there -- outbid and pay him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Option 3... Trade. I could see us doing a reverse Andy Lee (was that his name? The dude we traded to the Panthers for some draft ammo).

-PrplPplEater
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The only thing you have to do is read his face. He just doesn't have confidence in himself, it's over.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE
Not saying that at all. I'm just saying that there is always a bright new future with a "this kid is a can't miss" college kicker. Zane Gonzalez was the best prospect in years... Lou Groza Award, All-American, blah, blah, blah. We pulled the plug because he missed a couple FGs (and we always need a scapegoat)... Looked like a huge mistake, now? Who knows? Next up -- Siebert, head-scratcher as fifth rounder... misses a few kicks... gets the axe. Wash, rinse, repeat.

How 'bout we find a solid FA kicker and pay him big bucks to come ruin his career stats in Cleveland weather? And then understand that he will periodically miss kicks... sometimes even important kicks... just like every other kicker in the history of the game.

I loved the Gonzalez pick, and thought we gave up on him too easily. Isn't Parkey the same guy who replaced Gonzo and was beat out by Siebert?

There was some discussion if Hammer's holds could be a problem. Fans expect them to make every kick and revile them if they miss, "You have 1 job!!"

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Gonzalez has missed his fair share of big kicks this year as well and he kicks in perfect conditions, for the most part.

Legend
Legend
I thought we gave up too soon on Gonzo, as well. As it turns out, he doesn't seem to be the kicker anyone thought he would be.

Legend
Legend
Is he? Who thought that? I think he hurt us against, who was it the Rats? Certainly changed game with his miss late yesterday. I think we can do better, even if the errors are just mental and pressure-driven. Hammer Time? superconfused

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Chandler Catanzaro is available. He beat us with a 59 yd FG at the gun in 2018 at Tampa. Career 84% on FG and 93% on EP. There are some others available, listed here ...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/ufa/kicker/available/

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
What would Phil Dawson's pct be if he played where the XP is now moved back? I'm fairly certain he would've missed a few during the season. I'm cutting Parkey some slack, he's been mostly solid all season IMO

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

While I don't see Parkey being a very good kicker...he is solid-good. I do think we should def. be on the looks for a very good-elite kicker next year (if there is even any elite kickers on the market) Bad part, is just so many even very good kickers have been missing kicks here and there...and I think most would agree the issue is mentally the psyche afterwards...Heck several weeks ago Tucker missed an easy one, but went right back to nailing them...However it seems with most anymore, it is plaguing them more often than not. And you have witnessed it more lately, the thin threshold teams have with kickers anymore...that def. doesn't bode well with any struggling kickers psyche.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be interested to see if there is a difference in cold weather performance with Parkey...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I doubt it. He will probably be in camp next year and will be given a chance to compete. I don't know what happened to him, I guess it's in his head....

Dude was 32/33 in XP before last week and he's missed a big one in each of the last 2 weeks... He was also 17/19 in FGs before last week (and one of those misses was in the gail force winds against the Raiders) and he missed a big one against the Ravens.

The Browns will look at his total body of work, which honestly isn't that bad, and give him a chance to get better and compete for the job next year..

In addition to this, I don't think there are very many good kickers in the NFL anymore.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

A couple years ago they changed where XP are kicked from. The reasoning was that XP had become almost automatic, that the game was more interesting if there were more drama to the event, more chance to miss, more incentive to go for 2.

The result is that kickers, even good kickers, are more likely to miss XP than before. But, we as fans, haven't adjusted our expectations to match the new reality. We still expect XP to be automatic.

The shape of footballs makes them aerodynamically unpredictable. If a QB throws a tight spiral, he has more control over where it goes once its left his hand. More wobble, less accuracy. Kicking is less accurate for a couple reasons, not the least of which is aiming is easier the closer it is to eye level. It is also a matter of striking the ball as opposed to throwing it. There is a sweet spot, the perfect point to strike the ball. A 1/2 inch off, and the flight of the ball becomes more erratic, less predictable. Factor in weather conditions, condition of the ground, wetness of the ball, that you rely on the snapper and holder to do their jobs well. Then there's the pressure of the moment, a bunch of people charging at you trying to block or disrupt. Kicking a football is hard to do, so there are few people who can do it accurately. (32 teams, are there 32 good kickers?)

Parkey is a decent kicker. I see no reason to release him unless you know you have a better option on the team.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Few variables.

Make the damn kick. Parkey cost the Ravens game. A effing extra point and a 38 yard field goal.

You would think that with only 32 teams that you could find a reliable kicker. Think of all the colleges that there are. All have kickers.

Damn kickers

Only 2 out of 32 kickers this year would make the cut for your XP and FG percentages. Justin Tucker doesn't even make 98 percent of his XP's

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Few variables.

Damn kickers

Only 2 out of 32 kickers this year would make the cut for your XP and FG percentages. Justin Tucker doesn't even make 98 percent of his XP's

DOH!!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Thanks, GM!

I thought that the yardstick was at least severe reading that. I would happily embrace a kicker that meets those requirements. I have some real reservations about our kicking and our defense as played and as called. Probably watch it anyhow.

Go, Browns.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
https://www.sportscasting.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-colts-kicker-rodrigo-blankenship/

Undrafted free agent we coukd have picked up on the cheap and has been money for the Colts.

Last edited by teedub; 12/29/20 10:33 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Few variables.

Damn kickers
This×100
32 teams and approximately 893 Football College's (I looked it up) how many go unnoticed? Send a scout to find the next Phil Dawson

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Moxdawg

Few variables.

Damn kickers
This×100
32 teams and approximately 893 Football College's (I looked it up) how many go unnoticed? Send a scout to find the next Phil Dawson

Just like that?

I'm not too sure about this FO anymore... as they willingly haven't locked down the kicker position, since it's as easy as you describe.

-PrplPplEater
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum When will we replace Parkey?

Link Copied to Clipboard