Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1844195 01/21/21 04:12 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Does anyone have an actual number for cap space for 2021?
I found a tidbit here: I am guessing 175-190 million will be the new cap space.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agent...d-restructures/

The 2021 salary cap was conservatively projected to $210 million before the coronavirus pandemic. The NFL and NFLPA set a $175 million salary cap floor for 2021 with league revenues declining due to COVID-19. If revenues are better than expected, the 2021 salary cap could be higher but will likely remain below the current level of $198.2 million.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Are revenues really that much lower? I thought that ticket sales were simply the gravy next to TV contracts, in terms of money coming in. What else besides tickets sales were impacted by the pandemic?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/2...-more-for-2021/

The NFL salary cap is expected to drop in 2021 due to revenue losses resulting from the global pandemic but the Arizona Cardinals will add a few million to that total. NFL teams get to roll over unused cap space from the previous year to the following year.

ESPN’s Field Yates reported the rollover total for all 32 NFL teams.

The Baltimore Ravens roll over the smallest total at more than $586,000 while the Cleveland Browns gain an extra $30.4 million for 2021.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Most estimates I have seen put it between 180-190M.

Will definitely be interesting to see how FA plays out this year. Might be lots of vets waiting for a call.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Are revenues really that much lower? I thought that ticket sales were simply the gravy next to TV contracts, in terms of money coming in. What else besides tickets sales were impacted by the pandemic?

They are paying a ton of money for daily testing.

Either way, they are just making less money, not losing money.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Salary cap could be in the range of $180 million

Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2021, 11:32 AM EST
link

Every December, the NFL gives the 32 teams an idea regarding the expected salary cap for the coming league year. This year, that didn’t happen.

It didn’t happen because the pandemic has caused revenue to crater, by dramatically reducing attendance at games. The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed in July that the cap for 2021 will go no lower than $175 million.

That would be a $23.2 million drop, per team, in comparison to 2020.

There has been talk that the cap won’t drop that low, and that it possibly could remain in the range of $195 million. The final number, however, will result from a negotiation between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. The players surely will want the cap to be as high as it can be. Multiple teams will want that, too, in order to avoid having to create the space necessary to comply with a $175 million spending limit.

Plenty of owners, in contrast, don’t want to delay the full brunt of the impact of the 2020 losses. They view it as an interest-free loan to players. And that mentality would push the final number closer to $175 million.

A league source with knowledge of the situation suggests that the salary cap could be in the range of $180 million.

At that amount, things could get very ugly for plenty of teams and players. As the source characterized it, the commencement of the 2021 league year on March 17 will destroy the middle class of veteran free agents. Plenty of players will be cut or not re-signed.

By way of example, a player like Ndamukong Suh, who was paid $7 million in 2020, will likely get something closer to $3 million in 2021. Many teams will be able to offer veterans only $1 million per year.

The problem is that contracts always are negotiated with the understanding that the cap will keep going up by five to 10 percent. If it drops by roughly 15 percent this year, multiple teams will have major issues because they haven’t built their rosters with the possibility of a shrunken cap in mind.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

The Stadium Revenue Each NFL Team Will Lose If Games Are Played Without Fans

Mike Ozanian
Forbes.com
May 18, 2020

It is quite possible that the NFL will play its 2020 season without spectators in its stadiums. What would that mean in dollars and cents for the league?

The NFL would lose $5.5 billion of stadium revenue (the sum of tickets, concessions, sponsors, parking and team stores)—or 38% of its total revenue—based on figures for the 2018 season. More at link below:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian...sh=4beb18a2691a

The Browns and some other teams were able to have 20% of their seats sold for games. Other teams may have had more than that, but many teams had zero attendance, therefore zero gameday stadium revenues (tickets, concessions, parking, advertising). The revenue losses were substantial.

All Pro
All Pro
Just waiting to see how many members of the Saints defense will be available. smile

90+ million over the cap and they are still like 9 or 10 guys away from being able to field a team. AHAHAHAHA.

Speaking of...how do the Bucaneers only have like 30 guys total under contract? rofl

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
oobernoober #1844302 01/22/21 08:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't think it has ever been simply gravy.

Part of that is naming rights and advertising. Inside the stadium, everything has a sponsor. If people aren't inside the stadium to see the message, I doubt those companies are paying for that. They now might be paying a percentage based on allowed attendance.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
cfrs15 #1844330 01/22/21 10:56 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O

But cap is calculated per revenues (incoming $$$), not net profit/loss. The only thing that was impacted by COVID was ticket sales (and then concessions at the games as well). With the contracting economy, people probably bought less jerseys, too.

But I was under the impression that all that was a drop in the bucket compared to the TV contracts, which would've been unaffected.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dave #1844332 01/22/21 10:57 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dave

The Stadium Revenue Each NFL Team Will Lose If Games Are Played Without Fans

Mike Ozanian
Forbes.com
May 18, 2020

It is quite possible that the NFL will play its 2020 season without spectators in its stadiums. What would that mean in dollars and cents for the league?

The NFL would lose $5.5 billion of stadium revenue (the sum of tickets, concessions, sponsors, parking and team stores)—or 38% of its total revenue—based on figures for the 2018 season. More at link below:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian...sh=4beb18a2691a

The Browns and some other teams were able to have 20% of their seats sold for games. Other teams may have had more than that, but many teams had zero attendance, therefore zero gameday stadium revenues (tickets, concessions, parking, advertising). The revenue losses were substantial.

I was wrong about the size of the pie that is stadium-related. Thank you for posting that. Definitely makes sense now.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1844359 01/22/21 12:13 PM
Legend
Legend

But cap is calculated per revenues (incoming $$$), not net profit/loss. The only thing that was impacted by COVID was ticket sales (and then concessions at the games as well). With the contracting economy, people probably bought less jerseys, too.

But I was under the impression that all that was a drop in the bucket compared to the TV contracts, which would've been unaffected.

16 games with an average of 45,000 @ $75 average/pop is $3 million/game, not including premium seating extra charges. 256 regular season games x $3 million each is $768 million in lost revenue. I am unsure if all of ticket prices go into the players "pool", or not, buy I would guess so.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am pretty sure all doesn't. The actual ticket price might, but not the additional club charges.

That was one of the big reasons Modell left town. He had no club seats to sell....or not nearly enough.

That is why as these new stadiums are being built, more and more seating is allocated to "club level" pricing.

The demand for the seating is there, so the owners are eager to supply as many as possible.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I actually think the players who play this year and next year should be paid hazard pay for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Why? Other people aren't paid combat pay.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I actually think the players who play this year and next year should be paid hazard pay for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Are they taking care of Covid Patients or something I'm not aware of?

It's a job... they had the option of working or not...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1844657 01/23/21 02:57 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Are they taking care of Covid Patients or something I'm not aware of?

It's a job... they had the option of working or not...

They had the option of working or not while maintaining their jobs for the year regardless and their bonus pay, you mean smile

I don't remember my employer ever giving me that option.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
well, we got thin pretty dang quick, didn't we??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
768 million in lost revenue.

That's the whole league, / by 32 teams thats' 8 million, but pre season from previous years wasn't included, 10 games not 8 home games,

so 30 million.

So every team lost 30 million, for no fans.

What, sounds like a lot, but, earlier this year, I heard the media revenue was either 246, million per team, or maybe 146, and that's per year.

either way it was up like 13-14 million per team

So, so, 30 million, one year, lost for no fans, in a thing if I owned it that brought in 246 million, maybe 207 million per year gross,

Ehh I'd frickin make it work.

Maybe set a lil' aside for a rainy day in the middle of not knowing any way to possibly spend all the revenue in this nearly literal money making machine on steroids.

Who knows, it's probably all leveraged into bank interest and stuff, but, it's gotta be one heck of a business model to try and get out of debt with.

T
Legend
Legend
T
2014-2019-
so, 6.283 billion per team, per year.

... other place, Averagae operating income for nfl team was 108.63 million in 2019 up 6 million from previous year,

start of next part starts to say operating income is income after all other expenses,

B
Legend
Legend
B
We all have strengths. I am not sure this topic is one of yours.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
18 Million?

Doesn't give a ton of room to sign anyone in FA does it? Or to do so youd have to backlog money? Anyone have a good insight on how this works? Who can we target in FA?

Vernon was owed 11 Mil on the books... and now he's a FA. don't think we'd be able to sign him again at that rate without structuring his deal differently..

E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought our rollover total was 30mil. That number they showed I think was not including the rollover money even though he said it was.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
L
Legend
Legend
L
yeah we rolled over 30, how much in addition to that will be dependent on what they adjust cap at. We will have more than just about anyone

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
More payroll than just about anyone?

As we currently sit now, I do think we are one of the top 10 spending teams for 2021. Obviously things can change with player movement.

We still need to pay, in time, Baker, Chubb, and Ward... maybe Teller.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Roughly how much cap space will we have?

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 01/25/21 11:52 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Roughly how much cap space will we have?
it’s going to depend what we decide to do with Baker and Chubb, if anything at all

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
If the cap ends up being $180M, we currently have $22M in cap space with a top 51 payroll of $187.6M

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
More payroll than just about anyone?

As we currently sit now, I do think we are one of the top 10 spending teams for 2021. Obviously things can change with player movement.

We still need to pay, in time, Baker, Chubb, and Ward... maybe Teller.

I heard an interesting question on sports talk radio (hey, it happens every now and then). Anyway, the host asked: If you could sign only 3 of the 4 players - Mayfield, Chubb, Ward, and Teller - which one would you not sign? They had a guy from PFF on and asked him the question. His answer, with no hesitation was "Chubb". I think I disagree; based on durability and availability I'd say either Ward or Teller, probably Ward because I have some doubts whether he can stay on the field because of his size and tendency towards both concussions and calf strains. I get the whole "RBs are a dime a dozen" argument, but I think Chubb is a generational RB.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know he's injured a lot, but losing Ward is probably the absolute WORST thing you can do to a unit that needs to go way way the other direction this offseason.

I think the answer, unfortunately, is Teller. You have Forbes coming back and you hope he can step up. I can see the argument for Chubb as we already have Hunt extended.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1844997 01/25/21 01:49 PM
2nd String
2nd String

I'm sure not selling $12 beers and $10 hotdogs have contributed to the lower income numbers as well.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
I remember last time I sat in the bleachers at FES, I bought a thing of nachos for like 12 bucks and they were HORRID

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dave #1845001 01/25/21 02:03 PM
Legend
Legend
I love Teller, but this coaching staff and scheme created him as much as anything. I skip signing Teller and I make a new one just like him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1845003 01/25/21 02:15 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I love Teller, but this coaching staff and scheme created him as much as anything. I skip signing Teller and I make a new one just like him.

Unpopular opinion:

Trade Bitonio and save $10 million. Keep Teller who is three years younger.

cfrs15 #1845007 01/25/21 02:38 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
You touch on an important topic....

We need to start moving on finding replacements for Tretter, Bitonio, and Conklin (in that order). We may have Tretter's next-in-line.

-PrplPplEater
cfrs15 #1845008 01/25/21 02:50 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

Unpopular opinion:

But within the parameters of the question, which one of the 4 (Chubb, Mayfield, Teller, Ward) would you not sign? (I'm pretty sure I know your answer.) It would be a good poll question to post for someone less lazy than me.

B
Legend
Legend
B
When it comes to cap space, I don't pay much attention until the NFL sends out official figures.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dave #1845027 01/25/21 05:11 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave

Unpopular opinion:

But within the parameters of the question, which one of the 4 (Chubb, Mayfield, Teller, Ward) would you not sign? (I'm pretty sure I know your answer.) It would be a good poll question to post for someone less lazy than me.

1. Baker
2. Ward
3. Teller
4. Chubb

And I love Chubb. A lot. Chubb is special but the running game took a huge hit when Teller was out. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to sign them all. Although teams should always be wary of signing running backs long term (obviously).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cap Space for 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard