Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

QUICK QUESTION for the medical pros of the board:

My son had verified antibodies from the first time he contracted covid. Somebody from his church reached out early on after he had covid and asked him to consider donating plasma to help other people with severe cases recover. So he looked into it and he and his wife have been donating plasma once or twice a week since then. I know his heart is in the right place with helping others but they have also been paid $100 per donation for the plasma with covid antibodies which kept them dedicated...

My question is, with him getting covid a second time (I haven't heard of this with anyone else) is it because he weakened his own immunity donating plasma? Or is it more likely a mutated strain? I'm just trying to make sense of this and how it happened.

Mutated strain or just a natural waning of his antibodies. No correlation to the donated plasma.
He did the right thing donating. Good on him.
He just crossed paths with the virus twice in a big enough way to effect him. Get N95 or KN95 masks. Wear them religiously. The virus doesn’t rest. Neither should our diligence. Be safe out there.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Have you heard of others getting it twice?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Happy Birthday, OCD. Hope your son gets thru this unscathed. There is just very little data out there on second infections, risk factors for them and who is more prone. Like Portland said, the N95 mask, good hygiene and social distancing is the safest way to protect yourself and others.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Anecdotally, not personally.

[Linked Image]
GMdawg #1846668 02/04/21 10:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Happy Birthday OCD!

Hope your son pulls through with mild symptoms. I had it at Thanksgiving and have been searching and asking about reinfection since then. Like Portland, I find nothing but anecdotal evidence. The CDC still has the same one sentence response and says that it is "rare".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1846769 02/04/21 10:57 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Thanks Fate. And thank everyone else for the birthday wishes. Checked in on my son earlier, he's still feeling crappy but says he's a little bit better today.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Happy Birthday OCD and many more in good health!!! Hope your son gets through the Covid OK. Prayers to him.

GMdawg #1846771 02/04/21 11:07 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Happy Birthday OCD.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E

I am reading about this myself as my fellow might have it and we previously thought he had it before but was asymptomatic.

I found this very informative article: Link

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Thanks Fate. And thank everyone else for the birthday wishes. Checked in on my son earlier, he's still feeling crappy but says he's a little bit better today.

Happy birthday! Prayers for your son for a speedy recovery.

Legend
Legend
This is a good article on re-infection.

seattletimes.com

Mutated virus may reinfect people already stricken once with COVID-19, sparking debate and concerns

Feb. 5, 2021 at 4:46 pm Updated Feb. 5, 2021 at 5:11 pm
By William Wan and Carolyn Y. Johnson

The Washington Post

A trial of an experimental coronavirus vaccine detected the most sobering signal yet that people who have recovered from infections are not completely protected against a variant that originated in South Africa and is spreading rapidly, preliminary data presented this week suggests.

The finding, though far from conclusive, has potential implications for how the pandemic will be brought under control, underscoring the critical role of vaccination, including for people who have already recovered from infections. Reaching herd immunity — the threshold when enough people achieve protection and the virus can’t seed new outbreaks — will depend on a mass vaccination campaign that has been constrained by limited supply.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, noted that it appears a vaccine is better than natural infection in protecting people, calling it “a big, strong plug to get vaccinated” and a reality check for people who may have assumed that because they have already been infected, they are immune.

In the vaccine trial’s placebo group, people with prior coronavirus infections appeared just as likely to get sick as people without them, meaning they weren’t fully protected against the B. 1.351 variant that has swiftly become dominant in South Africa. The variant has been detected only a handful of times in the United States, including a case reported Friday in Virginia, which became the third state to identify the presence of the virus variant.

The preliminary finding from the South African vaccine trial, based on a data set with limitations, stirred debate and concern among researchers as results first hinted at in a news release last week were revealed more broadly this week.

“The data really are quite suggestive: The level of immunity that you get from natural infection — either the degree of immunity, the intensity of the immunity or the breadth of immunity — is obviously not enough to protect against infection with the mutant,” Fauci said.

Even if they don’t agree on the scope of the threat, scientists said reinfection with new variants is clearly a risk that needs to be explored more. There is no evidence that second cases are more severe or deadly, and a world in which people may have imperfect protection against new versions of the virus is not necessarily a world in which the pandemic never ends.

“I worry especially that some of these premature sweeping conclusions being made could rob people of hope,” said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Georgetown University’s Center for Global Health Science and Security. “I worry the message they may receive is that we’re never going to be rid of this. When in fact that’s not what the data suggests.”

She and others emphasized the apparent lack of severe health repercussions from reinfection — and no evidence that reinfection is common.

When Maryland biotechnology company Novavax first disclosed results from two international vaccine trials last week, the company noted in its news release that some people in the trial with earlier infections had become reinfected, probably with the variant B. 1.351, which had become dominant during the trial.

On Tuesday, details of the Novavax trial were presented at the New York Academy of Sciences.

About 30% of the people in the South African trial had antibodies in their blood at the start of the trial showing they had recovered from an earlier infection.

But that previous exposure didn’t necessarily appear to afford protection. Among those who got saltwater shots, the people with a prior infection got sick at the same rate as study participants who had not been previously infected — a surprise because they would have been expected to have some immunity. Nearly 4% of people who had a previous infection were reinfected, an almost identical rate to those with no history of infection.

“It’s awful strong data,” said Larry Corey, a virologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle who is co-leading the federal clinical trial network testing coronavirus vaccines in the United States. “Basically, it’s saying vaccination actually needs to be better than natural immunity. But vaccination is better than natural immunity.”

The study found that two shots of the experimental vaccine did provide protection against the variant.

Delivered weeknights, this email newsletter gives you a quick recap of the day's top stories and need-to-know news, as well as intriguing photos and topics to spark conversation as you wind down from your day.

The reinfection result was incidental to the main objective of the study, which was to determine the vaccine’s efficacy and safety. It was not designed to test the likelihood of reinfection, and others argued that it can’t be used to draw firm conclusions and cautioned against assuming that the previous infection provided no protection.

It also shows the risks of a strategy to reach herd immunity reportedly pushed by Scott Atlas, a neuroradiologist and adviser to President Donald Trump, who is said to have endorsed allowing the virus to spread mostly unfettered, while protecting nursing homes and other vulnerable populations. Atlas has repeatedly denied backing such a strategy.

The study backs up recent laboratory data from South African researchers analyzing blood plasma from recovered patients. Nearly half of the plasma samples had no detectable ability to block the variant from infecting cells in a laboratory dish. In a separate study, scientists at Rockefeller University in New York took blood plasma from people who had been vaccinated and found that vaccine-generated antibodies were largely able to block mutations found on the B. 1.351 variant.

Novavax did not provide the breakdown of mild, moderate and severe cases, but severe cases of COVID-19 were rare in the trial, suggesting that reinfection is unlikely to send people to the hospital.

“It is not surprising to see reinfection in individuals who are convalescent. And it would not be surprising to see infection in people who are vaccinated, especially a few months out from vaccine,” said Michel Nussenzweig, head of the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology at Rockefeller University. “The key is not whether people get reinfected, it’s whether they get sick enough to be hospitalized.”

Reinfection has always been a possibility, but scientists who design disease models had assumed that natural infection would convey some level of immunity for at least a few months. That figured into some earlier calculations for how America could start approaching herd immunity by this summer or fall. Even with limited vaccination supply and delays in distribution, the hope was that people previously infected would factor in the drive toward herd immunity.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
This is eye opening. :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April
Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks. Experts should level with the public about the good news.

By Marty Makary
Feb. 18, 2021 12:35 pm ET

Amid the dire Covid warnings, one crucial fact has been largely ignored: Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks. If a medication slashed cases by 77%, we’d call it a miracle pill. Why is the number of cases plummeting much faster than experts predicted?

In large part because natural immunity from prior infection is far more common than can be measured by testing. Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.

Now add people getting vaccinated. As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.

There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection. As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.

Antibody studies almost certainly underestimate natural immunity. Antibody testing doesn’t capture antigen-specific T-cells, which develop “memory” once they are activated by the virus. Survivors of the 1918 Spanish flu were found in 2008—90 years later—to have memory cells still able to produce neutralizing antibodies.

Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute found that the percentage of people mounting a T-cell response after mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infection consistently exceeded the percentage with detectable antibodies. T-cell immunity was even present in people who were exposed to infected family members but never developed symptoms. A group of U.K. scientists in September pointed out that the medical community may be under-appreciating the prevalence of immunity from activated T-cells.

Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. would also suggest much broader immunity than recognized. About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection.

In my own conversations with medical experts, I have noticed that they too often dismiss natural immunity, arguing that we don’t have data. The data certainly doesn’t fit the classic randomized-controlled-trial model of the old-guard medical establishment. There’s no control group. But the observational data is compelling.

I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose. Several studies demonstrate that natural immunity should protect those who had Covid-19 until more vaccines are available. Half my friends in the medical community told me: Good idea. The other half said there isn’t enough data on natural immunity, despite the fact that reinfections have occurred in less than 1% of people—and when they do occur, the cases are mild.

But the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity. Behavior didn’t suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March. Vaccines also don’t explain the steep decline in January. Vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in.

My prediction that Covid-19 will be mostly gone by April is based on laboratory data, mathematical data, published literature and conversations with experts. But it’s also based on direct observation of how hard testing has been to get, especially for the poor. If you live in a wealthy community where worried people are vigilant about getting tested, you might think that most infections are captured by testing. But if you have seen the many barriers to testing for low-income Americans, you might think that very few infections have been captured at testing centers. Keep in mind that most infections are asymptomatic, which still triggers natural immunity.

Many experts, along with politicians and journalists, are afraid to talk about herd immunity. The term has political overtones because some suggested the U.S. simply let Covid rip to achieve herd immunity. That was a reckless idea. But herd immunity is the inevitable result of viral spread and vaccination. When the chain of virus transmission has been broken in multiple places, it’s harder for it to spread—and that includes the new strains.

Herd immunity has been well-documented in the Brazilian city of Manaus, where researchers in the Lancet reported the prevalence of prior Covid-19 infection to be 76%, resulting in a significant slowing of the infection. Doctors are watching a new strain that threatens to evade prior immunity. But countries where new variants have emerged, such as the U.K., South Africa and Brazil, are also seeing significant declines in daily new cases. The risk of new variants mutating around the prior vaccinated or natural immunity should be a reminder that Covid-19 will persist for decades after the pandemic is over. It should also instill a sense of urgency to develop, authorize and administer a vaccine targeted to new variants.

Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices.

Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, chief medical adviser to Sesame Care, and author of “The Price We Pay.”

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Southern California was at 0% ER availability like weeks ago. We just got out of the holidays, the nation is recovering from travel (and from a whole mess of people that came down with the virus). It's been brutally cold in many parts of the country for a week or so, so people have been staying inside. Get back to me when the weather warms up and people want to get out and do stuff and the new case totals can at least maintain a steady level (and NOT shoot back up).

The author of that article needs to slow his roll.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
We will be living like this for a few decades and I think science knows it....point out the positive to keep hopes up, but the reality is pretty grim.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think it'll be that bad. I do think that this whole experience will really color our behaviors going forward, though. We'll never look at the flu season the same. We'll never be able to ignore the guy at work constantly fighting a runny/stuffy nose again. I think retaining a lot of the behaviors we've cultivated over the past year will play a part in our lives going forward.

-Keeping to yourself more when you're sick vs pretending all is normal and interacting with everyone

-Masking when 'a bug is going around'

-I do think the social/restaurant/bar scene will change. I think we'll see a little less of the crowded bar scene (granted, I'm saying this as someone that's never been a huge fan of loud, crowded bars)

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... New covid topic

Link Copied to Clipboard