DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: GMdawg New covid topic - 10/20/20 09:22 PM
Ok just how many of you know somebody who died, or was seriously effected by covid-19? I am hoping to get a honest account from my Browns brothers.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 10/20/20 09:59 PM
Someone who I know was diagnosed with COVID and also has Cystic Fibrosis. As you can imagine, the two together did not make for a smooth recovery. He was in the hospital for quite a while, frequently requiring breathing support. Interestingly, his symptoms were all over the place over the course of his time at the hospital. Last I heard is that he's out of the hospital, but still not 100%.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: New covid topic - 10/20/20 10:15 PM
Mt brother and sister in law both had it, but completely recovered.

(Removed by Ytown: Inappropriate for topic)
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 10/20/20 10:28 PM
My wife's 58yo cousin, who was in good health prior to contracting COVID, has been on a vent for several weeks and the prognosis is not good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: New covid topic - 10/20/20 10:28 PM
Wife's uncle got it and died about two weeks ago.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/20/20 11:02 PM
I dont know anyone that had it beyond a friend who thought he had symptoms but was never tested.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: New covid topic - 10/20/20 11:39 PM
We have been running half of our congregation since this Pandemic started, we have had 2 people that contracted it, both outside the church at work, one came to church and did not know they had it, no one was infected in the church. Now I'm not saying this isn't real but, I agree with Vers, most who have died from this including my mother in law (81 Years Old) had other medical issues ...
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 01:09 AM
A former colleague of mine caught it. She was in fantastic shape before covid. Now she can't even run due to her lungs hurting. She's 30.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 01:19 AM
I'll get back to you in a week or 2.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 02:17 AM
Y'all deleted my post? Yet, other guys make political references on this forum constantly. Pffttt............no wonder they get away w/so much BS. You're one of them.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 02:24 AM
Will you delete this?

I know several people who have had the virus. None have died. None of have long-term effects. I have seen many public figures such as Cam Newton who have had Covid. They seem fine.

I think that people who are about ready to die from any medical setback are the ones who typically die. I do not think this is the killer disease that I once thought it was.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 02:31 AM
My sons fiancé lost her grandfather.

A good friend of mine, his dad got it and recovered.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 02:48 AM
Professionally, more than a handful have passed. I won’t guess the numbers.
Personally, my high school art teacher’s husband was on a vent for 10 days. He’s since recovered but it took its toll physically.
My buddy’s two daughters and wife all got it. The daughters were asymptomatic. His wife needed medical care. It took about 3 weeks for her to recover fully.
Currently my cousin’s husband’s brother and father are fighting it.
When this all started in March, my mother (76 years old) had a group of 6 ladies she played dominoes with regularly. She missed the last two weeks of play before she came back north for the summer. The ladies continued to play. 5 of the 6 women ended up with it. Two died.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 03:11 AM
Wear your damn mask and stay 6 feet apart. I currently don't have a career because idiots won't just simply put on a mask. My job is gone after next week. The entertainment industry is dead right now.

I know three people personally who died, none of which had preexisting conditions. One was pretty well publicized: Nick Cordero

Several friends had it and recovered. Some are like nothing happened and others struggle to breathe months later.

Then there are a handful of deaths if you take into account family members of friends. A mixed bag of healthy or preexisting conditions.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 06:41 AM
It's better if I don't talk about the people I know who died, it gets too dark too quick.
It is a real disease on it's own!
It does kill on it's own! and it sucks!

looking back I wouldn't recommend being someone I barely knew.
frown

The fact it's named covid19 keeps screwing up my recollection of the year, I don't know what year this is, that was, or what year it was when this started in "April-May"
But after looking back at old phone records I'm sure the time I had symptoms was no more recent than the September before this April-May start year,
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Will you delete this?

I know several people who have had the virus. None have died. None of have long-term effects. I have seen many public figures such as Cam Newton who have had Covid. They seem fine.

I think that people who are about ready to die from any medical setback are the ones who typically die. I do not think this is the killer disease that I once thought it was.

I am sure that the families of the 1,120,000 who have died from Covid would disagree with you Vers.
Posted By: Jester Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 10:11 AM
My dog has never bitten anyone, my sister's dog has never bitten anyone, my parents dog has never bitten anyone.

I don't think dogs bite people.
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 12:23 PM
I've known 6 people who have gotten it. I haven't known anyone that has died; however a friends father-in-law died and a co-workers father died from covid.

We've had co-workers die. No one I knew or worked with directly, but there are at least 4 I'm aware of.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 01:10 PM
Why ask a question if you don't want an honest answer? No worries. I'll leave the thread and people can live in make-believe land.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 01:18 PM
I know 6 people who tested positive, 3 had flu like symptoms for a few days, 2 showed no symptoms, 1 ended up hospitalized.

Of the 3 that just had symptoms, none of their household members ever tested positive.

The one hospitalized is more of an acquaintance, so I don't know many details, but she has since recovered and is home.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Why ask a question if you don't want an honest answer? No worries. I'll leave the thread and people can live in make-believe land.

I wish it was make-believe land and my friends and my friends family members were back. Keep living in your conspiracy theory world where this is all fake. It is people like you that made me lose my job and friends.

Wearing a mask isn't political. It is pretty normal throughout the world. Until people take it seriously I guess I'll be collecting unemployment since there are no jobs around here that are actually hiring.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 01:55 PM
Don't know anyone who has died but it hit a neighbor's house giving all 5 adults who live there serious cases that hospitalized them. One of the brother's wives is still on life support some 9-10 weeks on...

My brother had it and recovered. I was tested, didn't think I had it but two weeks plus out I still haven't received a call about the results and can only assume I was negative. I go back to the doc at the first of the month I guess I'll hear about it then.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Ok just how many of you know somebody who died, or was seriously effected by covid-19? I am hoping to get a honest account from my Browns brothers.

One friend died, one cousin died. Several others had it but survived,, one is having breathing issues.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 05:33 PM
Friends of friends, or family of friends - but I'm not aware of anyone personally.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: New covid topic - 10/21/20 06:00 PM
My dad had it, was in the hospital for a month, on a respirator for a week.
Posted By: bonefish Re: New covid topic - 10/22/20 02:58 PM

AN EPIDEMIC is a disease that affects a large number of people within a community, population, or region.
A PANDEMIC is an epidemic that’s spread over multiple countries or continents.

Covid is a airborne spread highly contagious pandemic.

It has killed over 220k Americans. Over a million deaths world wide.

It has killed people of all ages.

It has left thousands with recurring health problems.

Thousands have died struggling to breath while their families have not been allowed to comfort them.

Make believe land? Really?

My son and his wife are out of work because of this pandemic. Along with millions of others who are struggling to pay rent and put food on the table. Schools are closed.
Sports can not have fans. Think about the workers who depend upon arenas. All those people who have been put out of work, and maybe their dwellings because of this Pandemic.

Make believe land?

Make believe is pretending something does not exist.

I guess the graves of those who have died because of this pandemic are fictitious.

I guess all the seniors that have died in nursing homes don't count for much. Cam Newton is fine.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 10/22/20 03:14 PM
Humanity is going to hell.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/22/20 03:20 PM
But Vers implies since it’s cold in his town this means there’s no global warming. How can there be a drought in Africa when it’s raining in Portland? I had a big dinner last night. There’s certainly no one going hungry. Bald people are a hoax, because I have hair....

COVID is real. It’s really deadly too.
Posted By: bonefish Re: New covid topic - 10/22/20 11:17 PM

Maybe he didn't mean it that way?

I don't know.

I find it hard to believe that him or anyone would truly feel that way.

It is clear how the world is suffering.

Grave yards don't lie.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 03:05 AM
Wrong thread
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 08:17 PM
I asked this question for a reason. I have two friends who died from covid. One of my former co workers husbands passed away from covid. I know of four others who were on vents but recovered. Why does that matter to me.... because my wife has covid, and we are both Quarantined.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 08:22 PM
Remember to ask me in a few days.
Posted By: bonefish Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 08:59 PM
Hopefully it will all work out.

Hope your wife has a quick and full recovery.

And that you do not get it.

Best of luck.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 09:38 PM
I asked this question for a reason. I have two friends who died from covid. One of my former co workers husbands passed away from covid. I know of four others who were on vents but recovered. Why does that matter to me.... because my wife has covid, and we are both Quarantined.

Best wishes for a fast recovery for your wife -- and that you avoid it! As scary as it is - the odds are well in your favor (and also the quality of Covid medical care is far better than it was in April).
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 09:42 PM
Damn, Bro.
Sending you best wishes.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 10:09 PM
Wishing you the best GM. Mrs GM too.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 10:45 PM
As I told you a couple days ago, you and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how concerned you are given your health issues, hopefully you end up being free and clear of the virus!
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 10/23/20 11:24 PM
Prayers and best wishes for a minimal symptom recovery for your wife....and that you don't catch it.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: New covid topic - 10/24/20 03:55 AM
My dad had it.
His blood oxygen was really low and from the labs the doc said he was going into kidney failure. Doc said it was 50/50 if he was going to make it a week. He made it-but about 4-5 weeks ago seemed to still be having respiratory problems and fluid in the lungs-they put him in hospice. He is still fighting. He just turned 84 and is in a nursing home-He was never going to a hospital-He was going to make it or not in the nursing home.

In his nursing home, there was 82 cases-the last time I went to see my dad I asked the nurse why the nursing home only looked about half occupied-did some people pass or where they not taking patients-all she would say is yes-I asked how many died there-she said too many.

Another one of the nurses in the home is the mom of one of my sons friends from school. She is in her early 50's and got it and within a few days was in the hospital. Spent about a week there-Said she was never so sick in her life.

The parents of the girl who cuts my mother in laws hair have not gone out of there house without a mask since March. The father has a heart condition. The mom went to a girls brunch at a friends house (about 6-8 women)-the first time she had gone out with the girls or out to eat in six months. This was last Saturday-by Tuesday she was getting very sick and by Tuesday evening the dad was getting very sick. By the time they took him to the hospital this past Wednesday, he was so weak he could not get out of the car-they had to come out of the ER to get him. From what my mother in law told my wife yesterday is that he is in ICU and it isn't promising.

In our department meeting, as of last Wednesday there were 7 where I work (field construction members) who have had Covid.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/24/20 08:39 AM

OH CRAP! Bro take care of yourself and keep us updated please. You will both be in my thoughts. We are going through a scare ourselves, a kid in our grandsons class has covid and my sons family is now in quarantine. Then the wife comes home sick yesterday, no idea yet what this is... scary stuff.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/24/20 09:09 AM
US passes single-day record for new COVID-19 cases

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/522554-us-passes-single-day-record-for-new-covid-19-case
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 10/24/20 03:17 PM
Man GM, you know I wish you and your wife the best. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I certainly hope with all of the health issues you have been through and are going through you do not contract the virus. Please tell her that I send her my best.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: New covid topic - 10/25/20 12:19 AM
Ok just how many of you know somebody who died, or was seriously effected by covid-19? I am hoping to get a honest account from my Browns brothers

I remembered about 7 tonight,

Somebody I knew died in such a tragic sad story 12-13 years ago, The Saturday, 10 days before voting day, which became Obama's first term.

About 7 pm that night, in a car wreck, totally avoidable because of drag racing drunks, who never admitted which one was driving the car.
frown x 100

One of the best people I ever met, only the best people I ever met died before they turned 20, and I know or knew far too many who fall in that category.
Nothing to do with covid.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 10/25/20 03:31 PM
Just found out that my 7 year old grandson has tested positive. He seems to be ok at this point and the rest of my boy's family will now be tested. They have been self quarantined for a week now.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: New covid topic - 10/25/20 03:36 PM
GM,
Best wishes to you and your wife to get thru this
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: New covid topic - 10/25/20 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Just found out that my 7 year old grandson has tested positive. He seems to be ok at this point and the rest of my boy's family will now be tested. They have been self quarantined for a week now.
hope you all stay safe
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: New covid topic - 10/30/20 01:02 AM

I don't know anyone personally who has died from covid nor even caught it. However, we do have about two dozen people where I work at (Amazon/Euclid) who have tested positive, but no deaths there from it, thank God.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 11/02/20 09:38 PM
OK my wife is done with her lock down lol and back to work today. I am still on lockdown till Wednesday. It's freaking nuts that nobody wants to test me. All I got from every agency was just wait and see..... WTF they won't even test me now to see if I have antibodies. notallthere This world we live in is so funked up.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 11/02/20 10:25 PM
Go to Kroger. They have a 15 minute antibody test.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 11/02/20 10:32 PM
Well that's only a 4 to 5 hour drive lol
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 06:34 PM
j/c

My wife just lost her uncle last night. His doctor had been monitoring him via Zoom on a daily basis. His symptoms weren't severe enough for his doctor to admit him to the hospital. He was diagnosed with Covid on December 12th.

On Christmas morning his wife looked in to check on him and he had fallen out of bed. He was non responsive. She called 911 and he was immediately rushed to the ER.

When it hit him, it hit fast. His vital organs shut down and there was really nothing they could do. He was elderly but in relative good health. I had never met the man but I know that he and his wife were good to my wife while she was growing up. She's very close to her cousins and they're having a really rough time right now.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 06:58 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, due to experience I know how sad dealing with the death of a loved one on Christmas is. My prayers go out to the family.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 07:53 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:10 PM
Tragic. Stupid. Selfish. Negligent.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:14 PM
What the hell
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:17 PM
That's at the point you make it mandatory for your employment. I know that will rub some people the wrong way but I don't care.

Using tobacco products is legal yet many hospitals refuse to allow smokers to work there. If you can make the use of tobacco a reason not to employ people, you can make this vaccine mandatory as a condition of employment.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's at the point you make it mandatory for your employment. I know that will rub some people the wrong way but I don't care.

Using tobacco products is legal yet many hospitals refuse to allow smokers to work there. If you can make the use of tobacco a reason not to employ people, you can make this vaccine mandatory as a condition of employment.

I have a feeling in time this will change. It may have to, and I’m fine with it. I know at some point nursing facilities will likely not allow me in unless I can show verification of vaccination.
I couldn’t get my nursing license without proof of my MMR vaccine and a yearly TB test. The COVID vaccine will likely be similar.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:24 PM
Do I need a vaccine if I have covid? Because I will have antibodies.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:38 PM
The general consensus is yes. Basically vaccine immunity typically lasts longer than naturally getting antibodies through infection.

Is still talk with your doc, but that’s what I read in an article the other day.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Ask 10 doctors, get 10 different answers. There is no right or wrong.

I know of several that have gotten covid a second time, some just months after having had it. There was an article in a local paper about it.

I've heard the antibodies stay for a few months, or for longer.

Our county health department has told people that had it they are possibly only immune for 3 months.

Nobody knows at this point.

Same with the vaccine.........how do we know how long it will help?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:44 PM

I know I heard recently that it was determined to be legal for employers to require the vaccine as a condition of employment. What I don't remember is if that was Ohio, Indiana, or nationwide.

But, I've also been told that for a peon like me, it could be June or July before I can get the vaccine. Shoot, my doctor just got it last week.

Son is in health care in Columbus and he has no idea when he will be eligible for it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:45 PM
I don't think we do know how long it will last as of now.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:51 PM
j/c

With dozens of cases reported in Antarctica, COVID-19 has now infected every continent

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/heal...rus/4014371001/
Posted By: FATE Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 08:58 PM

Most reports say you should be safe for about six months. It's all basically guesswork at this point.

Not much info out there about reinfection. I've been checking fairly regularly since I was infected. CDC still merely says it is "rare". You would think there would be data, apparently we're not privy to that yet.

BTW... Took me about ten days to get any sense of taste, then it returned to about 100% over the next week. Smell took longer, is till pretty week after five weeks.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 12/30/20 11:28 PM
Sorry to hear that Pit. My condolences to your wife and family.
Posted By: FATE Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 02:26 AM
Condolences to you and the family, Pit. Give the wife a huge from all of your friends here on the island. wink
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 04:24 AM
Thoughts and prayers for your loss, Pit. frown
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 07:21 AM

To date, there is no official word about how long CoVid antibodies might remain in your system. Early word suggests that antibodies may hang around for only a handful of months, post exposure.

Prevailing (common sense/ProMed) advice: inoculate yourself, and continue to practice shelter-in-place/social distancing protocols. Religiously. Wear a Mask. Sanitize/wash your hands every time you return to your car/the house. Give Your Fellow Man his 6'. Shelter at home as much as you can. Self-sequester for 14 days if you are Rona +.

Stay TF out of bars for the next 4-6 months.
They are running neck & neck with churches as the most regular local sources of masspread.

Even if you have an acquired (temporarily-earned) immunity, you can still carry the virus and transmit it to others who have not run your virus gauntlet.

I hope you beat this thing back, Eve.

Please inform yourself beyond my meager advice, and measure your steps accordingly.
There is much better advice out there than I can give, but I hope you take my post as a jumping-off place.
Please find your info at reputable places, and do what they say.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 12:37 PM
So I have to ask, because maybe some of you more scientific folks might be able to give some insight.

If this thing is here, and spreads this easily. Antibodies only last a couple/few months, the vaccine may only be good for 6ish months, then essentially this thing is here forever.

Like the seasonal flu, it's just going to keep going around and around. So what's the hope for the future?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 01:39 PM
Oh man frown Please tell your wife we are so sorry for her loss Pit. Keeping you guys in our prayers as well that you guys remain safe and virus free.
Posted By: FATE Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 01:53 PM
Well, depending on how you look at it, it took between 300 and 16,000 years to eradicate smallpox, so...

If this virus maintains it's contagion and ferocity it could be at least a few years, with multiple vaccinations, and everybody buying in and doing their part... That is to say, if it's obvious this isn't going away, and a segment of the population refuses to get inoculated, we cold be in trouble.

I guess the big question is, when do we have enough reliable data to determine that this not going away? I think a lot will depend on reinfection rates.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 02:46 PM
Normally I'd be against regulating safe behavior and common sense, but it's hard to form the words when there's such an obvious impact to the safety of 3rd parties.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 03:19 PM
My condolences to you and your family, Pit. I pray for God's comfort and peace for you all.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: New covid topic - 12/31/20 04:02 PM
Well Covid!

New covid Topic? I'm ready for a new covid topic, gee, this Covid topic is depressing! Now, just seeing this, my glance caught Mary Ann from Giligan died? Covid!

Covid. What did the covid covid when it walked into the covid.
Covid? Covid! No covid?! haha, who woulda thunk, ha, covid.
Covid! another Covid! and another covid for, Covid's covid, covid? covid
Covid! of covid! what else would ya covid? Sars? naa.

This message brought to you by covid. The covids' covid.
for all you covid, the king of covid is covid covid,

anheuser covid, st Louis micovid.
Posted By: FATE Re: New covid topic - 01/06/21 06:02 PM
j/c...

Take this PSA for what it's worth.

Had Covid five weeks ago, mild symptoms, seemed like a full recovery once I could taste and smell again.

Wanted to go see the grandkids while back in OH over the holidays. My son said the kids were getting over a cold but it was up to me. Well, of course I'm going to go -- haven't seen them in nine months. Why would I worry about a common cold when I survived Covid, right?

Wrong, very wrong.

Symptoms started Saturday, seemed I was getting over it by Monday. Tuesday the coughing started, got worse and worse throughout the day. By 2pm I was having a hard time breathing.

Went to urgent care facility... Nurse listened to my chest and sent me straight to ER. By then I basically couldn't breath right with a mask on... it was scary as hell. Told them I had Covid at Thanksgiving. Had to follow protocol with another Covid test before they treated me, results took over two hours, thought I was going to die. Towards the end of the wait they gave me a steroid and that helped a bit.

Respiratory therapist came in for breathing treatments, listened to my chest and was befuddled.

"Are you a heavy smoker?"
No - quit ten years ago, smoke a cigarette once in a while when I'm drinking, probably about a pack per year.
"I didn't think so, your lungs look pretty clean. Do you have asthma, nothing was noted?"
No.
"Ever had any breathing treatments, copd, or breathing problems?"
No, not at all.
"How many times have you been test for Covid?"
Twice, once today and my positive test at Thanksgiving.

Her shoulders dropped and she said "wow, thank God, this made absolutely no sense."

Apparently she was waiting for my negative test so she could treat me and had no idea I had it previously.

She continued with a story of her own. She had it 12 weeks ago, exact mild symptoms as mine. She got a "little something" a few weeks ago and was having a hard time breathing. It took two rounds of steroids and breathing treatments to get to where she is just now feeling up to par.

This has been the story, at least in this neck of the woods, over the past few weeks. Covid survivors getting a common cold or flu and having extreme breathing problems. She said she and her colleagues have been pushing for more patient education following a positive Covid test. My doctor didn't want to see me and gave me the standard "rest and take care of yourself".

Covid survivors need to understand that the demon may not be done after the symptoms pass. Don't think you're Superman, stay away from others, wear a mask, etc, etc... you may not get Covid again, but you may not need Covid to have severe sickness and breathing problems.

I'm starting steroids and and inhaler, hoping this gets better, mildly better today but hard to do stairs or even take the pooch for a walk. Time table til things return to normal? WHO the hell knows.

Stay safe out there.

#scaredstraight
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/12/21 01:13 PM
Sounds a lot like COPD. Hope you recover fully at some point and this no longer happens. I live with this type of issue every day. If I miss my medication by a few hours I start getting short of breath and I wouldn't wish that on anybody.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/12/21 01:17 PM
Gorillas test positive for coronavirus at San Diego park

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/gorillas-test-positive-coronavirus-san-diego-park-75184750
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/12/21 03:05 PM
I'm not shocked. they never wear a mask.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/12/21 06:57 PM
Just got what I expect to be the beginning of a long chain of bad news. One of the music festivals I work every summer just notified me that they won’t be holding the event in 2021. My expectation is I’ll be getting similar emails from the other event producers I work with in the coming weeks.

Looks like 2021 is going to be another concert free summer.

To everyone that ‘just wants to get back to normal’ but refuses to act in a way that could get us there... screw you. You’re the reason why we won’t get back to normal for at least another year. If not longer. Well done.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/12/21 09:44 PM
I am sorry bro. I got bad news also. Our All school reunion )held every five years was postponed last year until 2021. Last week it was canceled until the next one in 2015. Usually that's no big deal for most folks but for me I have no clue if I will be around for that one. It breaks mt heart that I my have missed my last chance to spend time with my friends from High School. frown
Posted By: FATE Re: New covid topic - 01/12/21 11:12 PM
I am sorry bro. I got bad news also. Our All school reunion )held every five years was postponed last year until 2021. Last week it was canceled until the next one in 2015. Usually that's no big deal for most folks but for me I have no clue if I will be around for that one. It breaks mt heart that I my have missed my last chance to spend time with my friends from High School. frown

Posted By: columbusdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/13/21 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Just got what I expect to be the beginning of a long chain of bad news. One of the music festivals I work every summer just notified me that they won’t be holding the event in 2021. My expectation is I’ll be getting similar emails from the other event producers I work with in the coming weeks.

To everyone that ‘just wants to get back to normal’ but refuses to act in a way that could get us there... screw you. You’re the reason why we won’t get back to normal for at least another year. If not longer. Well done.

What festival?
Posted By: jaybird Re: New covid topic - 01/13/21 04:05 AM
read that - crazy...
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/13/21 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg

What festival?

Sorry but I can’t say right now as it’s not my business to make the announcements public. Promoters email me and other artists, vendors, and production crew directly to inform us. They’ll be making the public aware shortly. February is when tickets for summer events typically start going on sale. The summer concert/festival promoters will soon be making it known that their events aren’t happening. Once they go public I can come back here and post, or you can pm me and ask directly.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/13/21 04:13 PM
Just ask Eve. She knows all about viruses and pandemics unlike healthcare professionals. She lacks the understanding that many nations have better control of this virus than America does. She lacks the concept that if everyone wore masks and used social distancing there would be far fewer deaths.

She refuses to admit that she has been a part of the problem, not part of the solution and somehow that's your fault.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/13/21 04:27 PM
But no one told her some people could have mild symptoms... you know... no one... except EVERYONE. How could she have possibly known? I mean drinking at the bar in her town was safe because people actively on ventilators weren’t drinking there, right?
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/14/21 02:10 AM

My wife's 41yo daughter is going thru all the symptoms now. My wife is taking her to get tested tomorrow morning. They're both RN'S so.....

Wondered why her and the grandkids(10 and 7yr's old) didn't spend Friday this past week over grandma and grandpas.

My wife's older sister's daughter(niece) and her daughters husband both had it. One might say both were/are grossly overweight but made it thru it.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: New covid topic - 01/14/21 06:24 PM
3 family members which I am including one person who isn't blood but has been part of the family for decades.

I am getting the Moderna shot tomorrow, first one. I work on a military base with families and kids so if I get sick, contact tracing/quarantine could be a lot of staff and we need staff to staff daycare.

The wife and I used to eat out quite a bit over the few years we've been down here, we only ate out once last year since Covid19 and that was at a Waffle House last month.

I miss all the great eateries we went to here in North Carolina. Can't wait to get back to normal.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/14/21 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: bluecollarball
3 family members which I am including one person who isn't blood but has been part of the family for decades.

I am getting the Moderna shot tomorrow, first one. I work on a military base with families and kids so if I get sick, contact tracing/quarantine could be a lot of staff and we need staff to staff daycare.

The wife and I used to eat out quite a bit over the few years we've been down here, we only ate out once last year since Covid19 and that was at a Waffle House last month.

I miss all the great eateries we went to here in North Carolina. Can't wait to get back to normal.

Support those you can by ordering takeout. Certain things hold up well on a drive home. Last night I had a lamb shawarma plate from a local Mediterranean joint. The falafel, hummus, the meat was just as delicious when I got home as it would have been to eat it there pre COVID. I wouldn’t do a steak joint, or breakfast foods like scrabbled eggs, but most restaurant foods hold up well until you get home.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/14/21 07:31 PM
Authentic Mexican food is delicious whether it's hot/warm/cold (imo).
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/14/21 07:51 PM
US records deadly new milestone: More than 4,300 COVID-19 deaths in 1 day

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/us-records-deadly-new-milestone-more-than-4300-covid-19-deaths-in-1-day

superconfused
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/14/21 09:06 PM

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/us-records-deadly-new-milestone-more-than-4300-covid-19-deaths-in-1-day

superconfused

It's really sad that we've completely lost control when we are only a month or two away from Vaccines protecting the majority of the most vulnerable people.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 12:01 AM
Quote:
Support those you can by ordering takeout. Certain things hold up well on a drive home. Last night I had a lamb shawarma plate from a local Mediterranean joint.

thumbsup Somebody say "Shawarma"? There's a place near us called Shawarmaholic. We get takeout from there at least once a week. I don't know what they season that meat with, but it's addicting. whether you get beef, lamb or chicken. A build your own plate is 9.50 and they give you enough of everything to last a couple meals. You can get a huge premade shawarma for 6.00. I love that place.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 02:19 AM
Just learned 2 separate people died, heard in the last 10 minutes.

couldn't be from more distant parts of life's past but still. Six degrees of separation,
xed up world.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: bluecollarball

Support those you can by ordering takeout. Certain things hold up well on a drive home. Last night I had a lamb shawarma plate from a local Mediterranean joint. The falafel, hummus, the meat was just as delicious when I got home as it would have been to eat it there pre COVID. I wouldn’t do a steak joint, or breakfast foods like scrabbled eggs, but most restaurant foods hold up well until you get home.

Takeout is what we do. Musashi's, Smithfield Chicken, there is a great Mexican place here we get often. And I leave larger tips. I've been working through all this so I spread the wealth as much as I can.

My wife gave her hair stylist a fifty when she first opened back up. She has kids, we don't, we've been able to pay our bills she hasn't.

I am a firm believer in helping others out.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg

My wife's 41yo daughter is going thru all the symptoms now. My wife is taking her to get tested tomorrow morning. They're both RN'S so.....

Wondered why her and the grandkids(10 and 7yr's old) didn't spend Friday this past week over grandma and grandpas.

My wife's older sister's daughter(niece) and her daughters husband both had it. One might say both were/are grossly overweight but made it thru it.

Good news. Daughter tested negative. Still sick.....but not from covid.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 09:17 PM
*Doing a slow clap with a smile on my face*
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 10:09 PM
Was informed today a co worker contracted covid.As luck would have it I spent a few hours with him on Mon.
Got tested today,awaiting the results.I feel like a million bucks,was in the gym this AM,strong like a horse and smell like one.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Was informed today a co worker contracted covid.As luck would have it I spent a few hours with him on Mon.
Got tested today,awaiting the results.I feel like a million bucks,was in the gym this AM,strong like a horse and smell like one.

You got tested and then went to the gym?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/15/21 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea

superconfused

It's really sad that we've completely lost control when we are only a month or two away from Vaccines protecting the majority of the most vulnerable people.

I hope you are right, but I am afraid it will be longer than that.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 12:06 AM
You have that backwards,I'm not an idiot.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
You have that backwards,I'm not an idiot.

My bad - apologies...
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 10:46 AM
I'm scheduled for my first round of the vaccine next week.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 11:45 AM

Good news!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 01:09 PM

Good deal.

here I see signs they are out of vaccine. I think they are still trying to give it to folks 75 and up and people deemed necessary.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 04:45 PM

Thrilled to hear this my friend!
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/16/21 08:03 PM
Next week is for 80 and up in Ohio The week after in ohio is for 75 and up plus those with qualifying health conditions. They looked at my medical records and moved me up a week lol
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/21/21 07:44 PM
Finally!
I was out seeing patients this morning when my girlfriend called me. She doesn’t call me when she knows I’m with clients. So I knew I needed to answer... she found a vaccine clinic website to get me signed up. She, also a nurse, managed to find one and get jabbed this past Sunday. Ever since she’s been on the search to get me vaccinated too. Today she scored. Big. I was able to sign up for mine at noon tomorrow. I turned my coworkers onto the clinic after I got my appointment lined up. Many of them jumped on it. Over the next few days me and many of my coworkers will finally get their first dose.
A huge relief for me and my teammates. I won’t lie it’s made me a little emotional. This has been the hardest year of my 23 year career. I’m a ‘roll with the punches’ sort of guy, but the underlying stress of all this has been weighty. I feel at least some semblance of hope and relief.
The reality is this virus is likely going to be with us for longer than anyone really wants to admit. But if I can keep my 48 year old self from severe illness I’ll take it as a step in the right direction.
I’d encourage you all to roll up your sleeves when the time comes for you to do your part.
Be safe everyone.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/21/21 07:53 PM
Glad to hear it Portland! You are in a far more precarious position than most of us are.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/21/21 11:54 PM
I can see police, jail guards, etc dealing with people all day getting the shot but.....

Some Geauga County inmates get COVID-19 vaccine ahead of elderly
by: Peggy Gallek
Updated: Jan 21, 2021 / 04:31 PM EST

CHARDON, Ohio (WJW)– While many elderly are still waiting to get the COVID-19 vaccine, the FOX 8 I-Team learned some inmates at the Geauga County Jail have already received one.

Geauga County Sheriff Scott Hildenbrand confirmed that 15 inmates and 30 jail employees received the vaccine last week.

Marc’s begins administering COVID-19 vaccines to those eligible
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine created a vaccine rollout plan, saying that the goal is to make sure the most vulnerable populations are receiving their shots first.

When we asked the sheriff why the inmates got the vaccine before the elderly were even eligible to receive the shot, he said we should ask Geauga County Health Commissioner Tom Quade. The sheriff stressed he did not ask for the inmates to be vaccinated. He said the health department contacted his office, saying they were going to give the injections to the inmates that wanted one.

“I just assumed we are in line for it and that’s the way you do it,” the sheriff said. “To me, the most important thing was that our corrections officers got it because we got three people out right now and if we lose employees, it disrupts the entire county.”

The sheriff said only the inmates being held on state charges were asked if they wanted the vaccine. A few did not want it. The inmates being housed in the jail on federal charges were not included.

Quade said he believes the inmates were eligible for the vaccine.

“It really wasn’t any big deal,” Quade said. “That first group of eligible people included all congregate settings and so as a public health guy, I consider a jail a congregate setting.”

But the Ohio Department of Health disagreed.

“It is important for our vaccine providers to follow the guidance and the Phase 1B plan that has been laid out by the Governor and ODH so that we have enough vaccine to make sure the most vulnerable populations are receiving their shots first,” Melanie Amato, press secretary for the ODH, said in a release sent to the FOX 8 I-Team.

“While vaccinating inmates and county jail staff are important for stopping the spread in a congregate setting, those that meet the current criteria of 80 plus and those in Phase 1A and 1B should be the only ones receiving the vaccine at this time. Prisons and county jails should have a proper process in place to vaccinate these individuals when their priority group is announced, but not before.”

The I-Team has shown that some elderly are having trouble getting the vaccine. The city of Cleveland received only 200 doses for more than 10,000 of its oldest senior citizens.

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/some-geauga-county-inmates-get-covid-19-ahead-of-elderly/
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/22/21 08:09 PM
Just got my first dose. Still sitting in the post vaccination line meant to monitor us for 15 minutes. I got the Moderna vaccine. Stung a little but that’s it so far. Guess I’ll know soon if I have a severe reaction, and tomorrow I’ll know if my arm hurts, body aches, etc...
One down, one to go. The next one is scheduled for 2/19. Ten days after that I should be fairly safe from advanced COVID illness.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: New covid topic - 01/22/21 10:04 PM
I got this photo of Portland leaving the vaccination center, looks healthy.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I got this photo of Portland leaving the vaccination center, looks healthy.

You sure that is after the shot? wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
So I have to ask, because maybe some of you more scientific folks might be able to give some insight.

If this thing is here, and spreads this easily. Antibodies only last a couple/few months, the vaccine may only be good for 6ish months, then essentially this thing is here forever.

Like the seasonal flu, it's just going to keep going around and around. So what's the hope for the future?

If that is the case, there is always hope for the future.

We may see it as hopeless, but in time people won't. It wasn't all that long ago that it was pretty common for a family to lose a child or two to childhood disease and for adults to kick in their 30's. If you made it in to your 60's you were beating the odds.

I am not taking unnecessary chances, but I don't just sit in my basement and mope. Screw that. I am getting tired of Dr. Fauci. I respect the guy, and follow guidelines as best possible but I refuse to simply sit around the rest of my life. The problem is they don't know what to say, so it's the same message over and over. We went out yesterday for lunch. We wore masks in and any time we left the table. We sanitize our hands and we eat anything we order with a fork. We also make space. We plan on a trip over to Gatlinburg in the next week or so, just to get away for a few days. We hit the room and wipe down all the usual spots.

We follow guidelines, we don't make stupid decisions and are mindful of others.

I guess for us, we are in the golden years and we have some money to burn, places to go, things to see. We have come to the conclusion we aren't going to sit around waiting to die to try to avoid it.

We choose to live the life we have, not wait for the life we might have.

When we are deemed necessary people, we will get our shots. For now, we are expendable, so screw it, we are going to live it out as long as it lasts.
Posted By: mac Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Quote:
I guess for us, we are in the golden years and we have some money to burn, places to go, things to see. We have come to the conclusion we aren't going to sit around waiting to die to try to avoid it.

We choose to live the life we have, not wait for the life we might have.

When we are deemed necessary people, we will get our shots. For now, we are expendable, so screw it, we are going to live it out as long as it lasts.

peen...Believe me, I understand that the frustration builds the longer we wait for "the shot" that we hope will restore some "normalcy" to our lives.

I look at it this way, the wife and I have sacrificed this long, strictly following the covid-19 guidelines in an effort to remain healthy and covid-free...I'm not about to slip up now and give in to impatience and take unnecessary risks...

...but I do understand and will not blame anyone for doing what they feel is best for themselves...take care, mac
Posted By: mac Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 04:20 PM
I want to add this bit of news...

LARRY KING passed away this morning, due to covid.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 04:26 PM
N95 masks should be sent to every citizen in this country. The note attached should read that you’re mandated to wear it in any public setting, period, for the next 4 weeks. Everywhere. Work, grocery shopping, ANY public place. Anyone caught/reported not complying will be fined significantly.
If we did this this virus would shrink dramatically in a month’s time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 06:12 PM
N95 masks should be sent to every citizen in this country. The note attached should read that you’re mandated to wear it in any public setting, period, for the next 4 weeks. Everywhere. Work, grocery shopping, ANY public place. Anyone caught/reported not complying will be fined significantly.

With respect, it might.

I am good about wearing a mask, but walking around by myself, not passing people, say in a parking lot to or from the store, i am not wearing a mask.

Believe me, I am not some anti-masker.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 08:25 PM
A coworker's wife caught it and died last week, she was 43.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

With respect, it might.

I am good about wearing a mask, but walking around by myself, not passing people, say in a parking lot to or from the store, i am not wearing a mask.

Believe me, I am not some anti-masker.

I guess I should have clarified. Any public setting that’s indoors, or crowded outdoor spaces. A plant nursery, a busy hiking trail, etc. Walking behind someone on a trail expelling a large viral load is less and less safe as this virus has now mutated to become more infectious with smaller dose exposure.
Four very dedicated weeks as a nation wearing N95s the rates would drop precipitously. Six to eight weeks we’d be so close to ‘normal’ again... alas.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 10:58 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering about getting the vaccine, I had received the fist dose of the Moderna shot late afternoon, and all I had was a sore arm. A little sorer than the flu shot but I was fine and the arm soreness went completely away by the following evening.

I had the shot with about 50 fellow co-workers and all said the same thing. No big side effects.

The second dose, I was told, tends to be worse according to Navy staff. So, we'll see in a month...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 11:12 PM

Step in a puddle, then lift your foot. What is displaced comes right back. It is absolutely no different than when it got it's first foothold here. If there truly are now strains even more infectious, and if the science is correct that you can still spread it before showing symptoms, then it even further validates that.

You are NOT going to eradicate it with masks. ANY such thought is purely ludicrous and not connected to reality, at all. All you're doing is putting the entire nation in masks. Four weeks, eight weeks, twelve weeks... it doesn't matter, because as soon as you're not in them, unless you eradicate it GLOBALLY SIMULTANEOUSLY, the puddle is popping right back into place.

Beyond that, the case numbers are about to plummet now that WHO has stated they've been using a cycle threshold WAAAAY too high; high enough that even one particle in the sample gets amplified to the point of being a positive. Lower Ct will automatically result in fewer positives, and so - voila - we've lowered the spread.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/23/21 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Step in a puddle, then lift your foot. What is displaced comes right back. It is absolutely no different than when it got it's first foothold here. If there truly are now strains even more infectious, and if the science is correct that you can still spread it before showing symptoms, then it even further validates that.

You are NOT going to eradicate it with masks. ANY such thought is purely ludicrous and not connected to reality, at all. All you're doing is putting the entire nation in masks. Four weeks, eight weeks, twelve weeks... it doesn't matter, because as soon as you're not in them, unless you eradicate it GLOBALLY SIMULTANEOUSLY, the puddle is popping right back into place.

Beyond that, the case numbers are about to plummet now that WHO has stated they've been using a cycle threshold WAAAAY too high; high enough that even one particle in the sample gets amplified to the point of being a positive. Lower Ct will automatically result in fewer positives, and so - voila - we've lowered the spread.

What?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 01:43 AM
Next week is for 80 and up in Ohio The week after in ohio is for 75 and up plus those with qualifying health conditions. They looked at my medical records and moved me up a week lol

A smaller country, ok,

I heard this day, Israel, is going to start vaccinating teens,
part of the story said, Israel, who has vaccinated more of theirs than anywhere else,
is vaccinating anyone 16 years old or up.

So they're vaccinating everybody, and-- their getting it done faster.

Here in the USA, they're dragging their feet trying to make sure nobody but the very 1st person in line gets finished, before they go to anybody else,
and-- they keep having cases of doses getting spoiled.

Personaly I consider this the 100 year flu.
If it rolls around to September before I can get a vaccine because I need to get behind all the special interest groups
then it's probably not worth it, because they'll have a new and improved, must get version by next flu season,
and this isn't the 100-and-one year flu.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 03:22 PM
He got by by using the word "eradicate". No, wearing a mask won't "eradicate" the virus. It does however lower the spread and gives a level of protection that lessens the spread of the virus.

Wearing a mask greatly decreases those who are carrying the virus without yet knowing they have the virus or are asymptomatic from spreading it as well as helping protect you from getting the virus.

In other words wearing a mask helps lower the spread and the death count so wear a damned mask.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 06:34 PM
But Portlands point is if everybody did, the virus would shrink dramatically.

I understand Purps point. As soon as you took the mandate away, it comes back.

So, here is where the rubber meets the road...say the government told us we had to wear masks for the next 2 years, would you?

I wouldn't. That wouldn't become my new "new norm". Screw that.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 06:37 PM
I'm ok with masks if it's proven to work.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 06:58 PM
But Portlands point is if everybody did, the virus would shrink dramatically.

I understand Purps point. As soon as you took the mandate away, it comes back.

So, here is where the rubber meets the road...say the government told us we had to wear masks for the next 2 years, would you?

I wouldn't. That wouldn't become my new "new norm". Screw that.

There are already two different vaccines available and from every indication the Johnson and Johnson vaccine will be approved soon. It isn't going to take two years.

And from your question, knowing that masks have been proven to slow down the deaths and spread of Covid, yes I would. A small inconvenience from myself to help protect not only myself but my family, friends and other Americans seems like a pretty small price for me to pay.

You see, during WW2 our citizens had rations and had to go to great lengths to sacrifice against a common enemy. So far this virus has killed more Americans than died in WW2. It's every much as big of an enemy. Only this time around we have people whining about "freedoms" and "but I don't want to wear a mask!"

I expect some people to act this way. But coming from some of the people I am hearing it from leave me in shock. So yes, I'm willing to do what I see as my patriotic duty.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 06:58 PM

Seriously? notallthere
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 07:18 PM

Seriously? notallthere

Well, currently there is no reason for me to wear a mask. I had Covid. I no longer have it. I'm not contagious nor am I going to catch it from anyone. I mostly only wear a mask for other people's comfort level.

I'm all for hearing that masks work from scientists and not random internet losers.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 07:24 PM
The scientists have spoken. The people who work in the medical field on this very board and across the nation have spoken.

Your "story of Covid" has nothing to do with the comment you made. Masks have been proven to cut down on the spread and death count of Covid and not by me. I'm just smart enough not to ignore what the experts have said, shown and proven over and over again.

You may wish to strongly consider who is actually sounding like the loser here.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 07:26 PM
The scientists have spoken. The people who work in the medical field on this very board and across the nation have spoken.

Your "story of Covid" has nothing to do with the comment you made. Masks have been proven to cut down on the spread and death count of Covid and not by me. I'm just smart enough not to ignore what the experts have said, shown and proven over and over again.

You may wish to strongly consider who is actually sounding like the loser here.

You may want to post some links with some proof as I'm not the only one on this thread who has doubts.

And actually, my "story of covid" is very relevant as soon we will have millions of people in the same boat as they have been vaccinated and are not contagious, nor can contract it. A lot of vaccinated people are going to toss their masks in the garbage. How do you feel about that?
Posted By: Squires Re: New covid topic - 01/24/21 07:37 PM

There are already two different vaccines available and from every indication the Johnson and Johnson vaccine will be approved soon. It isn't going to take two years.

Biden said 100 million shots in his first 100 days. Everyone needs 2 shots, so 600 million vaccines, which would take nearly 2 years.

As for masks, the flu is at historic lows because of mask wearing and social distancing, yet covid continues to grow. That would tell us that masks are not as effective as people would like us to believe. I'm not saying stop wearing masks, I'm saying the "if everyone wears masks the virus would be gone" thinking is bs.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 01:10 AM
Eve you can still get covid again. Some people have caught it twice. Also they tell you that they don't know if you can still spread covid once you get both shots, so you still need to wear a mask and social distance once you get the vaccine.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 03:41 PM
The latest Johnson and Johnson vaccine is a single dose vaccine.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 04:43 PM
Yea .. Then why do they call it Johnson & Johnson ..
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 04:49 PM

I doubt it would help. We've had mask mandates for a while now. It's not hard to get your hands on masks anymore (they even offer them at the entrances of big stores now). It comes down to individual behaviors, and those that haven't adopted those behaviors by now... I don't think giving them something they've seen for sale/grab quite a bit with a finger-wagging is going to change anything.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 04:53 PM
You can't fix stupid.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 04:54 PM
Pretty much.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 05:59 PM
You can't fix stupid.

No but you can fine them.

N95 masks aren’t the masks you see people wearing around town, typically. I’ve been wearing one in public since March/April. No way I’d go into an enclosed public space without one on. Cotton snd surgical masks aren’t as effective. The closest I come is I wear a multi layered cotton mask in my shop with my buddy that I build art with. He wears one too. We keep the big doors open and maintain our distance from each other as much as we can.
If everyone wore N95 masks in public it would absolutely lower the case count. Science backs this.
I was in a COVID building this morning. Believe me I wasn’t wearing a cotton/surgical/other mask.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires

Biden said 100 million shots in his first 100 days. Everyone needs 2 shots, so 600 million vaccines, which would take nearly 2 years.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/25/21 11:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea

Cool. 2 years.. I am not sure it would take double the time to administer the 2nd shots, but any way we look at this is that it will take 2 years plus.

I am not complaining. I knew this would be a massive project. I am not one who is going to moan about poor planning because this is something that really can't be planned for...it has to evolve in to a workable system.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/26/21 01:39 AM
Well, the math assumes 100 percent vaccination, which is not going to happen. We can hope for 70 percent immunization, which would be about 460 million doses. That would stop the spread unless there is a mutation... Some may not want it because of philosophical reasons, other because they had COVID.

The J&J vaccine has not hit the market. It is a single dose and does not require low temperature storage. I would expect it to be in high demand if it is reasonably effective.

Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: New covid topic - 01/26/21 02:59 AM
J/C

I'd like to get to a point in this country where people would just wear a damn mask.

How hard is it for people to realize that the virus infects democrats, republicans, Christians, Muslims, Jewish individuals, Hindus, etc.

Also when will people understand the plethora od medical research about the potential long term side effects?

I know of three people in my friends and family circle who were in great physical condition, two in their 30s, that still haven't physically recovered from their infection. They test negative but they're still dealing with side effects.

But hey, keep being selfish and ignore scientists and doctors. Keep believing the conspiracy theories, etc. It's because of people like this we're going to be dealing with this a lot longer than we need to.

Wish we could be like Taiwan and Australia that doesn't even have to have restrictions.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: New covid topic - 01/26/21 03:33 AM
I am getting my vaccine shot soon. My pharmacy ordered it for me, and I qualify because of my health issues.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/26/21 04:28 PM

Cool. 2 years.. I am not sure it would take double the time to administer the 2nd shots, but any way we look at this is that it will take 2 years plus.

All extrapolations must be linear....
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/26/21 04:41 PM
I'm not saying stop wearing masks, I'm saying the "if everyone wears masks the virus would be gone" thinking is bs.

I'm not sure who is thinking that. Those who are simply aren't paying attention. You would think with over 425,000 deaths in our nation they would have started paying attention by now wouldn't you?

But then we have no PSA's to inform people. We don't even have PAS's to tell people who currently qualifies for the vaccine and where the locations are where they can get them. It's all a major cluster. Our people are getting mixed information from different sources. Not all of them actually interested in giving accurate information.

Masks help slow the spread. Slowing the spread lowers the death count. Wearing masks lowers the number of corpses. I'm all about at least cutting down on corpses.

And even on this very board you still have people saying, "Yeah, prove it".

That makes the overwhelming problem obvious.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: New covid topic - 01/26/21 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I am getting my vaccine shot soon. My pharmacy ordered it for me, and I qualify because of my health issues.

Good luck, man. Hope it all goes well for you with minimal side effects. Keep us posted.

My wife - due to the nature of her work - received her first dose. No side effect other than her arm hurting like hell for a day or two in the area where she received the injection.

I think she gets the second one in a couple weeks. I've heard that one has produced more COVID-like symptoms in people, albeit far, far more mild, obviously.
Posted By: bonefish Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 11:49 AM

Georgia has been such a cluster.

Mismanaged to the max. Public health sites crashed for appointment setting. Almost no places to go to get the vaccine even if you do qualify.

finally just by chance I got into the county site and have an appointment set for Feb 2nd next Tuesday.

Thrilled to be able to get the vaccine.

Covid is a bad way to go. First I hate going into hospitals. Not even to visit. I have never spent a night in a hospital with any condition.

In a hospital environment and dying while struggling for air. Not for me thanks.

Can't wait to get this shot.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 02:12 PM
Good luck to those seeking getting your second shot. My girlfriend got her first a couple weeks back. She’s still struggling to find a place to get her second. She’s got about 7 more days to find one before she’s at her 21 days post the first. She’s had no luck and most reports are telling her that she’ll be lucky to find a place in time. Absolutely ridiculous it’s going this way.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 02:39 PM
In Ohio they schedule your second shot right after you get your first one. I knew before I left that 21 days later Feb 10th. That I get my second shot. All I have to do is show up.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 02:44 PM
It was that way for me too. Sadly she’s been given the run around by the Oregon Health Authority.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 02:45 PM
That's baffling. You would think at the very least they would set up a system that logically logs a first shot, and then you get an appointment with an order confirmed for the second shot.

Sorry to hear about that, man.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 03:08 PM
Good luck to those seeking getting your second shot. My girlfriend got her first a couple weeks back. She’s still struggling to find a place to get her second. She’s got about 7 more days to find one before she’s at her 21 days post the first. She’s had no luck and most reports are telling her that she’ll be lucky to find a place in time. Absolutely ridiculous it’s going this way.

Everything is pretty crazy -- luckily the first shot (especially for Moderna/Pfizer) does a ton of the work...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 04:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. There's no national standard or plan that was in place for any of this so we find ourselves with a cluster of plans across the country. Some seem to work while others fail. It didn't have to be this way.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 04:22 PM
Exactly. It was mishandled right from the beginning and because of it many have died, gotten sick and the vaccine distribution is a mess. Hopefully with President Biden and his staff things will get straightened out. But how many more will get sick and die before it does? A tragedy!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 04:27 PM
I have no idea how long it will take to right the ship. I also am not sure Biden can or will fix it. From what we're hearing he's certainly working hard to try and fix it. But as with every politicians I'm going to look at the actions and results. Not so much listen to the talk.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 04:31 PM
I agree. The thing that bothers me Pit is how many more will get sick and die before the ship is righted. Much of it could have been avoided if we had good leadership in place when it all started a year ago. Sad. There's been too much grief and misery and it sickens me.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 04:41 PM
Well now we're getting to the point people are going to say it's getting political. So I'll make this my last comment on how it was handled.

I think this is most certainly a national emergency situation. I think it should have been handled on a national scale with one message and one focus coming from the federal government. And I would feel the exact same way no matter who was in charge at the time.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 05:32 PM
I'll make one last comment about it also. The Pandemic should have been handled as if we were at war. Every means possible should have been used to fight it. It wasn't and we are where we are now. I, as all do, would just like it to end ASAP.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 06:26 PM
J/c

Anybody in Ohio that is an educator that’s received their vaccine yet? Is it done by county?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 07:53 PM
It was that way for me too. Sadly she’s been given the run around by the Oregon Health Authority.

Well just let me know who's lawn I need to take a crap on. You and your much better half are being screwed over.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 08:08 PM

Well just let me know who's lawn I need to take a crap on. You and your much better half are being screwed over.

I wouldn’t expect you to travel... COVID and all... but you can send a bag of poo if I can find the address of the responsible party.
I’m trying to use my contacts in the city to find a route for her to get a second dose. I may be able to squeeze her into a local nursing facility’s staff second dose cycle. It’d just be a week to ten days later than she’s supposed to get hers. But better late than never I guess.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 08:18 PM
Is there a window you should/shall hit, in terms of timing the second dose?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 08:19 PM
Pfizer is 21 days.
Moderna is 28.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 08:21 PM
But that's the suggested interval, right? What happens if you wait 22 days? 40 days?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 08:24 PM
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-an...vid-19-vaccines

TLDR, follow the dosing schedules because we said so.

They don't have the data to be able to recommend anything other then what was originally indicated. I would assume that would be part of the clinical trial or postmarket surveillance.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 08:53 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
But that's the suggested interval, right? What happens if you wait 22 days? 40 days?

You turn into a pumpkin after midnight. Don’t believe me... bibitybobbityboo!
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

There is not near enough testing to know....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear that. I had a feeling this could become a cluster in the initial phase of this rollout. It almost has to be a trial by error. Hopefully it gets squared away as we learn from our mistakes.

I will think positive....your wife will find out in the next few days where she goes to get her 2nd shot.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 01/27/21 10:22 PM

WTF is going on out there? I'm pretty sure it's mandatory here to set your appointment for the second shot when you receive your first. My mother in law just got her shot at Kroger yesterday and they scheduled her second one It's a crock that they didn't give your gf an opportunity to schedule the second appointment. At my place, we had to commit to both appointments before even receiving the first shot. I just received my second Moderna shot this morning.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 01/28/21 02:39 AM
My girlfriend got hers done at essentially a ‘pop up’ clinic done in conjunction with a local hospital. They didn’t set her up with a follow up date. They just gave her a number to call and a website to visit to “get signed up for your next”... both have been dead ends. It’s basically where everyone is going to jump on any opportunities that pop up. It’s where I found my opportunity too. Only mine was run by the three biggest local hospital systems. I got the Moderna, unlike her. But at least with mine I was given a follow up date. Only time will tell if they have them for me when I show up. Or if there’s anyone/anything even there. I’m holding out hope for myself. I’m struggling to find hope for her situation. As is she.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 01/28/21 03:41 AM
Good luck. I was talking to one of the pharmacists today about the planning for this. One thing he brought up that may be of interest to you is that we and our sister facilities are doing the injections daily by appointment. By early afternoon, they can tell if they are going to have leftover vaccines due to no shows, near expirations and whatnot. They have been allowing walk-ins for employees that havn't scheduled an appointment. He said it's getting to the point where most of the employees have received their first vaccinations, and they are discussing whether to allow walk-ins for family members rather than just wasting the excess. If you know someone that's connected with the process at some of your larger nearby facilities, it might be worth checking out. We are also vaccinating EMT's and other frontline workers that aren't directly employed by us. I don't know how priorities are set up in Oregon, but here we have phases. Frontline workers are in phase 1a and have priority. We've already moved on to phase 1b.

For anybody here in Ohio that's interested, here's the scoop so far. Some counties have pre-registration pages, and the pharmacist told me that they are definitely giving priority to those people that signed up and will continue to do so.

Quote:
COVID-19 Vaccine Fact Sheet

Priority Populations and Vaccine Distribution
Ohio has started distributing safe, effective COVID-19 vaccines statewide to those who choose to be vaccinated.
The COVID-19 vaccine
development process included steps comparable with those used to develop previous vaccines, such as the flu or measles vaccine.
As COVID-19
vaccines progressed through the thorough process to obtain emergency use authorization (EUA) from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA),
the state began strategically and thoughtfully distributing the vaccines to Ohioans most at risk. This distribution is being guided by
recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM).
Ohio’s Phased Approach
Ohio’s goals are clear: to save lives and get students back in schools. While vaccine supply is limited, Ohio will follow a phased approach to
vaccine administration. In the first vaccination phase, priority will be given to individuals at the highest risk, as well as essential healthcare workers
and personnel caring for COVID-19 patients. The speed at which Ohio will move through the phases is largely dependent upon the number of
vaccine doses available. As supply increases, COVID-19 vaccines will be available to all Ohioans who choose to be vaccinated.
• Phase 1 (Supply Limited) – Vaccine is available in limited supply and will be available only for specific critical populations. Ohio will
focus on vaccinating those most at risk, as well as essential healthcare workers and personnel caring for COVID-19 patients.
• Phase 2 (Supply Increasing) – Vaccine availability is increasing and can be offered to a larger group of specific critical populations who
choose to be vaccinated.
• Phases 3-4 (Widely Available) – Once the vaccine is widely available, Ohio will continue to strategically vaccinate Ohioans if they
choose to receive vaccine.
Phase 1A
During Phase 1A, which began December 14, 2020, priority was given to vulnerable individuals who live in close proximity and those who care for
them:
• Healthcare workers and personnel who are routinely involved in the care of COVID-19 patients.
• Residents and staff in nursing homes.
• Residents and staff in assisted living facilities.
• Patients and staff at state psychiatric hospitals.
• People with developmental disabilities and those with mental health disorders, including substance use disorders, who live in group homes,
residential facilities, or centers, and staff at those locations.
• Residents and staff at our two state-run homes for Ohio veterans.
• EMS responders.
Phase 1B
During Phase 1B, the focus will continue to offer protection to those at high risk and have K-12 students back in the classroom by March 1. This
phase will specifically include:
• Ohioans, age 65 and up.
• Ohioans with severe congenital, developmental, or early-onset, and inherited conditions including cerebral palsy; spina bifida; severe
congenital heart disease requiring hospitalization within the past year; severe type 1 diabetes requiring hospitalization within the past year;
inherited metabolic disorders including phenylketonuria; severe neurological disorders including epilepsy, hydrocephaly, and microcephaly;
severe genetic disorders including Down syndrome, fragile X syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Turner syndrome, and muscular dystrophy;
severe lung disease, including asthma requiring hospitalization within the past year, and cystic fibrosis; sickle cell anemia; and alpha and
beta thalassemia; and solid organ transplant patients. If people believe they fit in this category, they should contact their local board of
developmental disabilities, which will help coordinate vaccinations.
• Adults/employees in K-12 schools that want to go back to, or to remain with, in-person or hybrid learning models.
Vaccinations in Phase 1B began the week of January 19. Governor DeWine announced a tiered system for offering vaccinations to the estimated 2.2
million people who are eligible for the vaccine under this phase, beginning with those who are 80 or older. When a new age group begins, vaccinations
may not be complete for the previous age group. It will take a number of weeks to distribute all of the vaccine given the limited doses available.
• Jan. 19, 2021 – Ohioans 80 years of age and older.
• Jan. 25, 2021 – Ohioans 75 years of age and older; those with a developmental or intellectual disability AND one of the conditions: cerebral
palsy; spina bifida; severe congenital heart disease requiring hospitalization within the past year; severe type 1 diabetes requiring
hospitalization within the past year; inherited metabolic disorders including phenylketonuria; severe neurological disorders including epilepsy,
hydrocephaly, and microcephaly; severe genetic disorders including Down syndrome, fragile X syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Turner
syndrome, and muscular dystrophy; severe lung disease, including asthma requiring hospitalization within the past year, and cystic fibrosis;
sickle cell anemia; and alpha and beta thalassemia; and solid organ transplant patients. If Ohioans feel they fit into this category, and have
not been contacted about scheduling, they should follow-up with their local board of developmental disabilities.
o Local boards of developmental disabilities will reach out to those they know qualify under this eligibility category to coordinate
vaccinations. These boards will work with children’s hospitals and some local health departments on scheduling. Only those
individuals in this population that work with their local developmental disabilities board will be eligible for vaccination at this time.
o The vaccinations for Ohioans in this category will only be given at Local Health Departments or participating Children’s Hospitals in
conjunction with the local boards of developmental disabilities. Ohioans in this category should not go to their local
pharmacies for scheduling or vaccination.
• Feb. 1, 2021 – Ohioans 70 years of age and older; employees of K-12 schools that wish to remain or return to in-person or hybrid models.
• Feb. 8, 2021 – Ohioans 65 years of age and older.
• Feb. 15, 2021 – Ohioans with severe congenital, developmental, or early-onset, and inherited conditions including cerebral palsy; spina
bifida; severe congenital heart disease requiring hospitalization within the past year; severe type 1 diabetes requiring hospitalization within
the past year; inherited metabolic disorders including phenylketonuria; severe neurological disorders including epilepsy, hydrocephaly, and
microcephaly; severe genetic disorders including Down syndrome, fragile X syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Turner syndrome, and
muscular dystrophy; severe lung disease, including asthma requiring hospitalization within the past year, and cystic fibrosis; sickle cell
anemia; and alpha and beta thalassemia; and solid organ transplant patients.
o Please note: Information is still forthcoming regarding those who have a qualifying congenital, early-onset, or inherited
condition (without a developmental or intellectual disability) who will begin being vaccinated on Feb. 15.
Vaccine recipients must be age 16 or older to be eligible for the Pfizer vaccine, and age 18 or older to be eligible for the Moderna vaccine.
How To Find a Vaccine Provider
Ohioans should check the websites of their local health departments and EMAs to learn more about vaccinations in their community or to sign up to
receive updates from the local health department. Groups defined by age will receive the vaccine from local health departments, hospitals, federallyqualified health centers, as well as some retail pharmacies. Providers for other audiences are yet to be announced. A statewide Vaccine Provider
Locations search is available at vaccine.coronavirus.ohio.gov, allowing Ohioans to search by county, and ZIP code to find a provider in their area to
administer the vaccine.
Future Phases
The vaccine distribution plan for future priority populations are still under development and will be shared publicly once finalized. As more information
becomes available on who can receive the vaccine and when they can receive the vaccine, we will communicate this information publicly through the
news media and share information at coronavirus.ohio.gov/vaccine.
The vaccine has been shown to prevent COVID-19 and to decrease the severity of illness in people who catch the virus that causes the disease.
Vaccinating a significant portion of Ohioans will help prevent serious hospitalizations and deaths.
Using all the tools available to help prevent the spread of the virus continues to be critical until a substantial number of Ohioans can be vaccinated.
Continuing to wear masks that cover the mouth and nose and social distance will reduce your chance of being exposed to or spreading the virus.
Proper prevention measures, coupled with the vaccine will provide the best protection from COVID-19.
Updated Jan. 26, 2021.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 01/28/21 10:22 AM
As I see it, the problem is having enough staff to give the injections and file the paperwork. It has to be a major administrative nightmare.

Maybe for Portland or someone else with knowledge, how hard is to give an injection? People needing insulin give their own shots all the time.

With modern delivery methods, is it not more or less impossible to to inject air in to the system?

As a kid, I would see the Dr. hold the syringe upright, tap it with a finger a few times to get the air bubble to the top, then depress the syringe enough to get a flow of the liquid out of the needle. They don't do that any more.

I am not suggesting we go to a self injecting system, but it seems to me we could train a few more people to do it in short order. Swab the arm, stick it in....boom, slap on a band-aid .

Now if supply is the issue, then it is what it is and will become a political play for more vaccine when available.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: New covid topic - 01/28/21 01:40 PM
I used to work for a startup that is developing a disposable infusion pump that can be used by a lay-person. It can help the patient transfer the medication from the vial to the pump, and then when placed on the correct site, it will infuse the volume you've put in the pump (doesn't measure) subcutaneously (just under the skin).

While the company itself being a 2000's-Browns-esque dumpster fire doesn't help, they have been developing this device for almost 8 years. A good amount of this development work has been on the Human Factors side (do people understand how to correctly use the device, and then can they correctly use the device, etc).

So to answer your question... there's quite a bit that would go into allowing any and all patients to inject themselves.
Posted By: mac Re: New covid topic - 01/28/21 05:02 PM

New York COVID-19 nursing home deaths undercounted by as much as 50%, state AG investigation finds

David Robinson
New York State Team
link

ALBANY, N.Y. – A probe by the New York Attorney General's Office found COVID-19 deaths of nursing home residents in the state may have been undercounted by as much as 50% as poor infection-control practices and understaffing fueled the coronavirus crisis inside the long-term care facilities.

The bombshell investigation reported the state Department of Health's controversial policy to only publicly report COVID-19 deaths of residents inside nursing homes and withhold deaths of residents transferred to hospitals hindered attempts to improve conditions inside the facilities.

The true COVID-19 death toll of New York nursing home residents is closer to 13,000, as opposed to the 8,677 reported to date by the state Department of Health, according to the investigation's findings.

“As the pandemic and our investigations continue, it is imperative that we understand why the residents of nursing homes in New York unnecessarily suffered at such an alarming rate,” Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement.

“While we cannot bring back the individuals we lost to this crisis, this report seeks to offer transparency that the public deserves and to spur increased action to protect our most vulnerable residents," she added.

The investigation also revealed that nursing homes’ lack of compliance with infection-control protocols put residents at increased risk of harm, and facilities that had lower pre-pandemic staffing ratings had higher COVID-19 fatality rates.

Based on the findings and subsequent investigation, James is conducting ongoing investigations into more than 20 nursing homes whose reported conduct during the first wave of the pandemic presented particular concern.

State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker has refused to release the number of nursing home residents who died due to COVID-19 after being transferred to a hospital, which experts suggested could add thousands of deaths.

Zucker pledged in August to release the information once it could be confirmed as accurate, but that has not happened.

Coronavirus updates:Rate of new infections falls sharply; Michael Strahan reportedly tests positive.

Due to recent changes in state law, it remains unclear to what extent facilities or individuals can be held accountable if found to have failed to appropriately protect the residents in their care, James said.

On March 23, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and lawmakers created limited immunity provisions for health care providers relating to COVID-19. James said.

The Emergency Disaster Treatment Protection Act provides immunity to health care professionals from potential liability arising from certain decisions, actions and omissions related to the care of individuals during the COVID-19 pandemic.

While it is reasonable to provide some protections for health care workers making impossible health care decisions in good faith during an unprecedented public health crisis, it would not be appropriate or just for nursing homes owners to interpret the action as providing blanket immunity for causing harm to residents, James said.

James recommended eliminating the newly enacted immunity provisions to ensure no one can evade potential accountability.

Follow reporter David Robinson on Twitter:@DrobinsonLoHud
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: New covid topic - 01/29/21 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

I don't know anyone personally who has died from covid nor even caught it. However, we do have about two dozen people where I work at (Amazon/Euclid) who have tested positive, but no deaths there from it, thank God.

Update: I'm guessing now we've had at least 60 to 75 people who've tested positive at work, a few who I know (a lotta people work there). My one coworker who got it told me he had to be hospitalized for a day. He said, "I'm 51 years old and that's the sickest I've ever been." Kinda scary.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: New covid topic - 01/29/21 05:04 PM
'China rolls out anal swab coronavirus test, saying it’s more accurate than throat method'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asi...9524_story.html

saywhat
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: New covid topic - 01/29/21 05:30 PM
Quote:
The true COVID-19 death toll of New York nursing home residents is closer to 13,000, as opposed to the 8,677 reported to date by the state Department of Health, according to the investigation's findings.

“As the pandemic and our investigations continue, it is imperative that we understand why the residents of nursing homes in New York unnecessarily suffered at such an alarming rate,” Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement.

Pretty sure we already understand how they unnecessarily suffered.... it was at the hands of the guy who was on CNN 4 times a week bragging to his brother about what a phenomenal job he was doing.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 01/29/21 08:52 PM
Is and was are two different words with totally different meanings.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 01/29/21 09:23 PM
Quote:
Pretty sure we already understand how they unnecessarily suffered.... it was at the hands of the guy who was on CNN 4 times a week bragging to his brother about what a phenomenal job he was doing.

...ad naseum.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: New covid topic - 01/30/21 03:13 AM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
'China rolls out anal swab coronavirus test, saying it’s more accurate than throat method'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asi...9524_story.html

saywhat

I sure hope they’re good about changing out the swabs.

“Oh, whoops, sorry that was a swab from the last test. Too bad you opted for the throat version.”
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: New covid topic - 01/30/21 05:28 AM
If you insist upon taking both tests, be mindful about the order in which these tests are taken...

-just sayin'
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 06:04 PM
Little scary news today. My son, who had covid in the late summer / early fall, just had to be swabbed again today because he is presenting symptoms again. Now we wait.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 06:22 PM
Hoping for the best OCD.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 07:04 PM

My uncle passed away this weekend, due to Covid. He was 79 and in a nursing home, had Parkinson's really bad. Awesome uncle, spend many holidays together with him and our families since I was about 5 years old. R.I.P.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 07:31 PM
Was "driveway to driveway" BS-in with my neighbor a day or 3 ago. Approx 3 weeks ago their house seemed "shut down". I thought they went to his mom and dad's condo down in Florida as they annually do.

Me....."Saw your house shut down a week or so ago. You guys go down to your mom and dad's condo"?

Him....."No, we all had Covid".

He and his wife.....early 40's. 4 children ages from 18yo down to 7yo.

All ok/recovered. He said it hit the 7yo the hardest.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. Prayers for you and your family.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 02/01/21 09:49 PM
Little scary news today. My son, who had covid in the late summer / early fall, just had to be swabbed again today because he is presenting symptoms again. Now we wait.

I hope and pray it's not a reinfection, but if so that he gets thru it with few symptoms.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: New covid topic - 02/02/21 11:06 AM

My thought and prayers are with your family.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 01:54 PM
Son's test results came back positive for covid. He has now had it twice. This time he is having a much rougher go with headaches and fever. Thankfully his breathing is good.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 03:19 PM
So sorry to hear this bro. frown
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 03:57 PM
I pray for a mild illness and a full, speedy recovery OCD.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear this. I hope he comes through with only mild symptoms.
Posted By: TI84_Plus Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 08:19 PM
jc

My mother in law just got admitted to the hospital, now she's hooked up to a ventilator but is in decent spirits. Started seeing symptoms two weeks ago, this past weekend things got worse and she could barely breathe. Not sure of all the details, but along with those symptoms she also has some infection in her blood.

She's 45, no prior health issues, and is in relatively good shape. Does kickboxing 3-4 times a week.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 08:21 PM
I certainly hope things work out for the best.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 09:32 PM
Prayers for your son, OCD, and your MIL TI84.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 09:42 PM
Prayers and hope that she gets through this with a full recovery.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/03/21 11:57 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

QUICK QUESTION for the medical pros of the board:

My son had verified antibodies from the first time he contracted covid. Somebody from his church reached out early on after he had covid and asked him to consider donating plasma to help other people with severe cases recover. So he looked into it and he and his wife have been donating plasma once or twice a week since then. I know his heart is in the right place with helping others but they have also been paid $100 per donation for the plasma with covid antibodies which kept them dedicated...

My question is, with him getting covid a second time (I haven't heard of this with anyone else) is it because he weakened his own immunity donating plasma? Or is it more likely a mutated strain? I'm just trying to make sense of this and how it happened.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/04/21 03:36 AM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

QUICK QUESTION for the medical pros of the board:

My son had verified antibodies from the first time he contracted covid. Somebody from his church reached out early on after he had covid and asked him to consider donating plasma to help other people with severe cases recover. So he looked into it and he and his wife have been donating plasma once or twice a week since then. I know his heart is in the right place with helping others but they have also been paid $100 per donation for the plasma with covid antibodies which kept them dedicated...

My question is, with him getting covid a second time (I haven't heard of this with anyone else) is it because he weakened his own immunity donating plasma? Or is it more likely a mutated strain? I'm just trying to make sense of this and how it happened.

Mutated strain or just a natural waning of his antibodies. No correlation to the donated plasma.
He did the right thing donating. Good on him.
He just crossed paths with the virus twice in a big enough way to effect him. Get N95 or KN95 masks. Wear them religiously. The virus doesn’t rest. Neither should our diligence. Be safe out there.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/04/21 12:27 PM
Have you heard of others getting it twice?
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 02/04/21 12:50 PM
Happy Birthday, OCD. Hope your son gets thru this unscathed. There is just very little data out there on second infections, risk factors for them and who is more prone. Like Portland said, the N95 mask, good hygiene and social distancing is the safest way to protect yourself and others.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/04/21 01:29 PM

Anecdotally, not personally.
Posted By: FATE Re: New covid topic - 02/04/21 02:06 PM
Happy Birthday OCD!

Hope your son pulls through with mild symptoms. I had it at Thanksgiving and have been searching and asking about reinfection since then. Like Portland, I find nothing but anecdotal evidence. The CDC still has the same one sentence response and says that it is "rare".
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/05/21 02:57 AM
Thanks Fate. And thank everyone else for the birthday wishes. Checked in on my son earlier, he's still feeling crappy but says he's a little bit better today.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: New covid topic - 02/05/21 03:00 AM
Happy Birthday OCD and many more in good health!!! Hope your son gets through the Covid OK. Prayers to him.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/05/21 03:07 AM
Happy Birthday OCD.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: New covid topic - 02/05/21 06:03 AM

I am reading about this myself as my fellow might have it and we previously thought he had it before but was asymptomatic.

I found this very informative article: Link
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: New covid topic - 02/05/21 04:34 PM
Thanks Fate. And thank everyone else for the birthday wishes. Checked in on my son earlier, he's still feeling crappy but says he's a little bit better today.

Happy birthday! Prayers for your son for a speedy recovery.
Posted By: jfanent Re: New covid topic - 02/06/21 06:02 PM
This is a good article on re-infection.

seattletimes.com

Mutated virus may reinfect people already stricken once with COVID-19, sparking debate and concerns

Feb. 5, 2021 at 4:46 pm Updated Feb. 5, 2021 at 5:11 pm
By William Wan and Carolyn Y. Johnson

The Washington Post

A trial of an experimental coronavirus vaccine detected the most sobering signal yet that people who have recovered from infections are not completely protected against a variant that originated in South Africa and is spreading rapidly, preliminary data presented this week suggests.

The finding, though far from conclusive, has potential implications for how the pandemic will be brought under control, underscoring the critical role of vaccination, including for people who have already recovered from infections. Reaching herd immunity — the threshold when enough people achieve protection and the virus can’t seed new outbreaks — will depend on a mass vaccination campaign that has been constrained by limited supply.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, noted that it appears a vaccine is better than natural infection in protecting people, calling it “a big, strong plug to get vaccinated” and a reality check for people who may have assumed that because they have already been infected, they are immune.

In the vaccine trial’s placebo group, people with prior coronavirus infections appeared just as likely to get sick as people without them, meaning they weren’t fully protected against the B. 1.351 variant that has swiftly become dominant in South Africa. The variant has been detected only a handful of times in the United States, including a case reported Friday in Virginia, which became the third state to identify the presence of the virus variant.

The preliminary finding from the South African vaccine trial, based on a data set with limitations, stirred debate and concern among researchers as results first hinted at in a news release last week were revealed more broadly this week.

“The data really are quite suggestive: The level of immunity that you get from natural infection — either the degree of immunity, the intensity of the immunity or the breadth of immunity — is obviously not enough to protect against infection with the mutant,” Fauci said.

Even if they don’t agree on the scope of the threat, scientists said reinfection with new variants is clearly a risk that needs to be explored more. There is no evidence that second cases are more severe or deadly, and a world in which people may have imperfect protection against new versions of the virus is not necessarily a world in which the pandemic never ends.

“I worry especially that some of these premature sweeping conclusions being made could rob people of hope,” said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Georgetown University’s Center for Global Health Science and Security. “I worry the message they may receive is that we’re never going to be rid of this. When in fact that’s not what the data suggests.”

She and others emphasized the apparent lack of severe health repercussions from reinfection — and no evidence that reinfection is common.

When Maryland biotechnology company Novavax first disclosed results from two international vaccine trials last week, the company noted in its news release that some people in the trial with earlier infections had become reinfected, probably with the variant B. 1.351, which had become dominant during the trial.

On Tuesday, details of the Novavax trial were presented at the New York Academy of Sciences.

About 30% of the people in the South African trial had antibodies in their blood at the start of the trial showing they had recovered from an earlier infection.

But that previous exposure didn’t necessarily appear to afford protection. Among those who got saltwater shots, the people with a prior infection got sick at the same rate as study participants who had not been previously infected — a surprise because they would have been expected to have some immunity. Nearly 4% of people who had a previous infection were reinfected, an almost identical rate to those with no history of infection.

“It’s awful strong data,” said Larry Corey, a virologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle who is co-leading the federal clinical trial network testing coronavirus vaccines in the United States. “Basically, it’s saying vaccination actually needs to be better than natural immunity. But vaccination is better than natural immunity.”

The study found that two shots of the experimental vaccine did provide protection against the variant.

Delivered weeknights, this email newsletter gives you a quick recap of the day's top stories and need-to-know news, as well as intriguing photos and topics to spark conversation as you wind down from your day.

The reinfection result was incidental to the main objective of the study, which was to determine the vaccine’s efficacy and safety. It was not designed to test the likelihood of reinfection, and others argued that it can’t be used to draw firm conclusions and cautioned against assuming that the previous infection provided no protection.

It also shows the risks of a strategy to reach herd immunity reportedly pushed by Scott Atlas, a neuroradiologist and adviser to President Donald Trump, who is said to have endorsed allowing the virus to spread mostly unfettered, while protecting nursing homes and other vulnerable populations. Atlas has repeatedly denied backing such a strategy.

The study backs up recent laboratory data from South African researchers analyzing blood plasma from recovered patients. Nearly half of the plasma samples had no detectable ability to block the variant from infecting cells in a laboratory dish. In a separate study, scientists at Rockefeller University in New York took blood plasma from people who had been vaccinated and found that vaccine-generated antibodies were largely able to block mutations found on the B. 1.351 variant.

Novavax did not provide the breakdown of mild, moderate and severe cases, but severe cases of COVID-19 were rare in the trial, suggesting that reinfection is unlikely to send people to the hospital.

“It is not surprising to see reinfection in individuals who are convalescent. And it would not be surprising to see infection in people who are vaccinated, especially a few months out from vaccine,” said Michel Nussenzweig, head of the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology at Rockefeller University. “The key is not whether people get reinfected, it’s whether they get sick enough to be hospitalized.”

Reinfection has always been a possibility, but scientists who design disease models had assumed that natural infection would convey some level of immunity for at least a few months. That figured into some earlier calculations for how America could start approaching herd immunity by this summer or fall. Even with limited vaccination supply and delays in distribution, the hope was that people previously infected would factor in the drive toward herd immunity.
Posted By: jfanent Herd immunity by April? - 02/21/21 01:10 AM
This is eye opening. :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April
Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks. Experts should level with the public about the good news.

By Marty Makary
Feb. 18, 2021 12:35 pm ET

Amid the dire Covid warnings, one crucial fact has been largely ignored: Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks. If a medication slashed cases by 77%, we’d call it a miracle pill. Why is the number of cases plummeting much faster than experts predicted?

In large part because natural immunity from prior infection is far more common than can be measured by testing. Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.

Now add people getting vaccinated. As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.

There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection. As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.

Antibody studies almost certainly underestimate natural immunity. Antibody testing doesn’t capture antigen-specific T-cells, which develop “memory” once they are activated by the virus. Survivors of the 1918 Spanish flu were found in 2008—90 years later—to have memory cells still able to produce neutralizing antibodies.

Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute found that the percentage of people mounting a T-cell response after mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infection consistently exceeded the percentage with detectable antibodies. T-cell immunity was even present in people who were exposed to infected family members but never developed symptoms. A group of U.K. scientists in September pointed out that the medical community may be under-appreciating the prevalence of immunity from activated T-cells.

Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. would also suggest much broader immunity than recognized. About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection.

In my own conversations with medical experts, I have noticed that they too often dismiss natural immunity, arguing that we don’t have data. The data certainly doesn’t fit the classic randomized-controlled-trial model of the old-guard medical establishment. There’s no control group. But the observational data is compelling.

I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose. Several studies demonstrate that natural immunity should protect those who had Covid-19 until more vaccines are available. Half my friends in the medical community told me: Good idea. The other half said there isn’t enough data on natural immunity, despite the fact that reinfections have occurred in less than 1% of people—and when they do occur, the cases are mild.

But the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity. Behavior didn’t suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March. Vaccines also don’t explain the steep decline in January. Vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in.

My prediction that Covid-19 will be mostly gone by April is based on laboratory data, mathematical data, published literature and conversations with experts. But it’s also based on direct observation of how hard testing has been to get, especially for the poor. If you live in a wealthy community where worried people are vigilant about getting tested, you might think that most infections are captured by testing. But if you have seen the many barriers to testing for low-income Americans, you might think that very few infections have been captured at testing centers. Keep in mind that most infections are asymptomatic, which still triggers natural immunity.

Many experts, along with politicians and journalists, are afraid to talk about herd immunity. The term has political overtones because some suggested the U.S. simply let Covid rip to achieve herd immunity. That was a reckless idea. But herd immunity is the inevitable result of viral spread and vaccination. When the chain of virus transmission has been broken in multiple places, it’s harder for it to spread—and that includes the new strains.

Herd immunity has been well-documented in the Brazilian city of Manaus, where researchers in the Lancet reported the prevalence of prior Covid-19 infection to be 76%, resulting in a significant slowing of the infection. Doctors are watching a new strain that threatens to evade prior immunity. But countries where new variants have emerged, such as the U.K., South Africa and Brazil, are also seeing significant declines in daily new cases. The risk of new variants mutating around the prior vaccinated or natural immunity should be a reminder that Covid-19 will persist for decades after the pandemic is over. It should also instill a sense of urgency to develop, authorize and administer a vaccine targeted to new variants.

Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices.

Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, chief medical adviser to Sesame Care, and author of “The Price We Pay.”
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Herd immunity by April? - 02/22/21 02:05 PM
Southern California was at 0% ER availability like weeks ago. We just got out of the holidays, the nation is recovering from travel (and from a whole mess of people that came down with the virus). It's been brutally cold in many parts of the country for a week or so, so people have been staying inside. Get back to me when the weather warms up and people want to get out and do stuff and the new case totals can at least maintain a steady level (and NOT shoot back up).

The author of that article needs to slow his roll.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Herd immunity by April? - 02/22/21 04:34 PM
We will be living like this for a few decades and I think science knows it....point out the positive to keep hopes up, but the reality is pretty grim.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Herd immunity by April? - 02/22/21 04:50 PM
I don't think it'll be that bad. I do think that this whole experience will really color our behaviors going forward, though. We'll never look at the flu season the same. We'll never be able to ignore the guy at work constantly fighting a runny/stuffy nose again. I think retaining a lot of the behaviors we've cultivated over the past year will play a part in our lives going forward.

-Keeping to yourself more when you're sick vs pretending all is normal and interacting with everyone

-Masking when 'a bug is going around'

-I do think the social/restaurant/bar scene will change. I think we'll see a little less of the crowded bar scene (granted, I'm saying this as someone that's never been a huge fan of loud, crowded bars)
© DawgTalkers.net