Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
The Chiefs had our # because they're well coached. They are Super Bowl champs for a reason.
they were able to negate our PA and boot games .. and they dared us to beat them over the top with DPJ or Higgins. A few of them hit, but not enough

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The Chiefs had our # because they're well coached. They are Super Bowl champs for a reason.

The irony of it is, I won't be surprised if Reid gets Coach of the Year because of his playcalling in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Coach stefanski play called us to 11-5 and the playoffs.

Yes he did and he deserves a tremendous amount of credit for that. Does that inherently mean he's the best play caller in the world? No, it doesn't. I would bet you that if you could sit down and ask him, he could point out 100 different situations this year where he wishes he had done something differently. He is still learning.

Quote:
If you roll all these critics together, the ones who know so much more about play calling than the coach, their cumulative record as an nfl play caller is roughly, somewhere in the neighborhood of.... 0-0.

Well none of us have ever played NFL QB or CB or been a GM.. so I guess we should all just not have an opinion on anything.. this will be an awful boring place.

Quote:
One other thought that someone else mentioned. Many confuse good play calling with a successful outcome. And the same play in the same situation is a brilliant play or a moronic play based on how it turns out.

This is partially true. Not every play that fails is the play callers fault.... not every play that succeeds is because the play caller is a genius. It's also wrong to imply that the play caller can call whatever they want and if it fails, blame the execution. Some plays have a much higher probability of success than others and if you are going to go against the odds, be prepared to get called out if it doesn't work.

To counter your example with one of my own.. with less than 4 minutes to go in the Steelers game (the week 16 game).. we were trying to run out the clock, we had a 6 minute drive going and if we scored or just held onto the ball, the game was over.. we had 3rd and 3 on the Pittsburgh 31.. a long FG attempt if we are unsuccessful.. we called a pass and Baker got sacked for a 4 yard loss.. FG now more difficult and it's 4th and 7.. and we go for it. I've never called an NFL play in my life but if I've got 3rd and 3 and I have ANY inclination that I might go for it on 4th down, I'm using Chubb/Hunt twice to get me 3 yards.. even a poorly executed play on 3rd down leaves me with 4th and 2.. not 4th and 7.. So if Baker makes that completion for the first down, good on him.. but I would still think it was the wrong call in that situation because of the risk of a negative play.. a sack, an INT, etc.. run the ball twice, get 3 yards, game over. One instance where I believe he outsmarted himself.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll go about this the long way .. As head coach you are responsible for BOTH sides of the ball and that's what I would like Ski to do , Be the head ..

Because the D couldn't get off the field in the first half we only got Three processions.. As I have said before .. Wanted Ski to run more early and wear them down.

Gave it one heck of a run !

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

The irony of it is, I won't be surprised if Reid gets Coach of the Year because of his playcalling in this game.

I could see that happening but I hope not. There's a lot more to coaching than playcalling, and the task of turning this less than mediocre team into a playoff contender should weigh huge when considering who to select.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C

All end of year award voting occurs before the playoffs.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Exactly.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, REALLY, our D lacks speed- at least the D we had to use in that game. It was OBVIOUS after couple plays...the jet sweep, they made it look easy. Did Reid call the play where Mahomes got his bell rung- dumb. We couldn't match their speed pure and simple. We need speed on both sides of ball. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
KS had his rookie year, during a pandemic, we are going to play a full year of NFL football.....I'd lost lots of money on that bet. Will he be better next year. Don't know, but it won't be from lack of effort. We've got a MORE THAN solid coach and a talented team....WOW. We beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh in playoffs, God gave us a great gift. We won't sneak up on anyone next year, who cares.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

All end of year award voting occurs before the playoffs.

The only person other than Stefanski I would consider voting for coach of the year is McDermott. I know it's supposed to be a "just this year" award but he went from 6-10 to 10-6 to 13-3 and the AFC Championship game.. and Harbaugh won it last year.. so it would be a coach of the year award for his accomplishments over a 2 year span for that kind of turnaround.

Then Stefanski can win it next year when we does the same thing.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Stefanski named coach of the year ... great job

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Stefanski named coach of the year ... great job

Legend
Legend
Congratulations coach. Now that he's won it once, there is only one way they would give it to him again.... and we all know what that is.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Of all the individual accolades that could have been predicted at the beginning of the year, besides, maybe, Baker winning an MVP... this is the one that probably would have given us the most hope... and for good reason.

Under the toughest circumstances, our coach earned this honor.

Great job, Coach Stefanski, here's to a bright future with the Browns!!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

We all can have opinions on play calling.

And that is part of being fans. We can dispute calls and think what we would have done.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact we may right sometimes.

However, there are many layers that go into decisions. What is anticipated from the defense? What are our best match-ups at every position? Guys playing with injuries.

If we do this on third what is the plan if we don't make it?

Lots of variables. Plus a huge playbook to chose from.

In addition during the week coaches go over all kinds of scenarios that they practice for.

The answer is they have way more information to make an educated guess.

Then there is the whole thing of play vs execution.

So IMO we can all have opinions but not necessarily answers.

I remember when Bruce Arians was our OC and called plays. He was ridiculed to the max. And this way before he got the opportunity to be a HC.

You look good when successful and bad when not.

So, second guessing comes with the job.

Legend
Legend

Kevin earned the award.

This season was uncharted waters. Think of all the planning that had to happen. New technology that everyone had to get up to speed with. Classes had to be held on just how to work remotely. How to learn remotely. How to practice from a screen.

I can't imagine how they implemented new schemes?

The big deal to me was the way we went from undisciplined to disciplined. How the team prepared. How they bought into 1-0. The chemistry that was formed under crazy circumstances. The way the coaching staff gelled.

I listened to every KS press conf. I like the way he handles himself. How he looks people in the eye and listens. What he says and how he says it. He appears to have natural leadership qualities. Never made excuses. Forged forward no matter what. Backed his players. Accepted blame. Although this is his first HC job he came across as prepared for the role. At the same time I think he is learning on the job.

To go from six wins to twelve in one season is a huge step. To not lose two games in a row all season speaks volumes about how to prepare and focus.

Slayed the dragon. We beat the Steelers two games in a row.
Beat them on the road and sent them home.

What? Yes the Browns did that.

I am thrilled we have this guy as our coach.

The big three way. General Manager, Head coach, quarterback have to work together or it will not work.

Because we have that in place the future for the Cleveland Browns is bright.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Congratulations Kevin!

Never thought I would ever see a Browns coach get Coach of the Year in my lifetime!

Cheers!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Huge Congrats! Very glad you are on our team!

No Craps Given
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good for you Kevin we're all proud. Well deserved honor!!! thumbsup

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Huge Congrats! Very glad you are on our team!

What a difference one letter makes.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just for the record....the last Browns HC to be named coach of the year was in 1976 Forest Gregg.

This team has finally turned the corner. Congrats to Garrett and Bitonio for making the All Pro team!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Wasn’t Marty COY in 1986?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Wasn’t Marty COY in 1986?

Bill Parcells in 1986

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think this depends on which version of COTY.

Legend
Legend
Thanks!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
This was a poll in the K-9 Consensus forum:

Number of Brown's Victories

Only one choice allowed (59 total votes)

0-3 - 1 (2%)
4-6 - 1 (2%)
7-8 - 4 (7%)
9-10 - 28 (47%)
11 - 12 (20%)
12 or more - 13 (22%)

I wonder who was the only guy to predict 4-6?

I will admit, I picked 10-6, we did 1 better, and honestly probably 2 better if we don't get robbed of the Jets game.

Stefanski well deserved. One bad ref call away from playing for the Super Bowl.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I believe I was the one which chose 4-6 victories

and explained in that thread, that I didn't feel the number was up there, in my head the team would probably be about 6-9-1, at that time, my feeling.

(I may be wrong, I'm not 100 percent sure what this quoted post above is referencing.)

Stefanski's firt year ineptness would bring about a 2-3 win result, but Bakers' and Myles' greatness would overcome this and swing the chart up to about 6-9-1, were my feelings in April-ish of last year.

Today?,
I'm wondering how much of Stefanski's success really is a result of
Van Pelt, and the Offensive Line coach, either way, a group effort.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I believe I was the one which chose 4-6 victories

and explained in that thread, that I didn't feel the number was up there, in my head the team would probably be about 6-9-1, at that time, my feeling.

(I may be wrong, I'm not 100 percent sure what this quoted post above is referencing.)

Stefanski's firt year ineptness would bring about a 2-3 win result, but Bakers' and Myles' greatness would overcome this and swing the chart up to about 6-9-1, were my feelings in April-ish of last year.

Today?,
I'm wondering how much of Stefanski's success really is a result of
Van Pelt, and the Offensive Line coach, either way, a group effort.

haha...lol laugh

When I read the question just now I said to myself "Probably Throwlong"

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
1st String
1st String
I couldn't be more proud. Congrats Coach Stefanski! Well deserved. Thanks for helping change the culture. Standing ovation.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Way to go coach!

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Awesome stuff ... congrats coach

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We finally have a coach.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't know - we lost our last game. I think we should start all over and get another guy here...

rofl

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
"My name may be on this award but I think this speaks to the amazing support I get day in and day out from my coaching staff with the Cleveland Browns."

Well said, coach...this being his rookie season as well as a covid year, Stefanski knows his coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for the Browns success in 2020.

Passing the credit on to his assistants shows what kind of "leader" Stefanski is. Spreading the credit around including and crediting the efforts of his coaching staff will pay dividends down the road, in 2021... thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
J
Legend
Legend
J
Well deserved. I’m so happy we have him.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski II

Link Copied to Clipboard