Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

You can tell Johnson played a lot of corner while at BC...as his defense excels in passing situations (while I believe that was most troubling with our safeties last year, Joseph, Harrison, and Sendejo are all more run based defenders) Really great signing!

I knew Johnson would command at least 10mill a year...so his contract looks really good imho. And let's not forget Harrison will be a FA at years end, and Delpit is a big question mark.

I'm willing to bet the team that offered Johnson a lot more was the Jags (as they have an incredible amount of cap right now)

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Un un-splashy, non-hype, sort of sneaky signing that fills a huge need with a top 5 player at his position (PFF grading). What's not to love about the way this FO goes about their business? It's a huge *IF* ... but if Delphit and Harrison come back healthy and close to 100% - we potentially have studs to man the safety position, and if we run a 3 safety look, we will have players at each position out there.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’ve watched a little film on him and see him as a hybrid type player ... he’s really good in the box and durable. Pretty good early returns IMO

I don't see him as a box player. He will be the deep guy. Harrison will be the guy most likely to crowd up to the LOS. He has more of the build.

What the Browns want is three guys who can play in the box, OR cover. Keep the offense off balance and make the pre snap reads easier to disguise. Man if Delpit is healthy we will have that cool

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
What the Browns want is three guys who can play in the box, OR cover.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
That's not a bad deal at all. Hopefully, he plays well enough that we can't wait to pick up that third year and keep him locked up.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
I'm guessing the more money would have also included more years, and he would rather cash in again when there is a higher cap while still under 30 y/o. Plus, we did something like 2/3 guaranteed.

Wanting to win probably factored in, too.

I'm just hoping "Team X" doesn't offer significantly more again before he signs the deal with us. ...I'm still working through the residual effects of years of Battered Browns Fan Syndrome. fingerscrossed

A front office and agents still believe in ethics. It's still a bad look if one or the other backs out of a handshake deal.

I am not worried about it.

Agreed. There are very few Carlos Boozers in professional sports.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get the feeling that the 'he turned down more elsewhere' line is becoming a de facto move on the players' part to get a good start with fans, team, etc.

I highly doubt all these guys are choosing to avoid bigger contracts.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I get the feeling that the 'he turned down more elsewhere' line is becoming a de facto move on the players' part to get a good start with fans, team, etc.

and now he " is really excited to be a member of such a storied franchise and can't wait to get into town and get to work; to take it one day at a time and just work on being better than we were. The City of <insert city> has the best fans and I'm looking forward to being on the field in front of them. God willing, this will the best year, yet."

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hehehe... you reminded me of a guy that bounced around between like 3 or more teams in a season and he literally copy-pasted basically what you just said when he got to each new team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

I'd not be surprised if he turned down more but that it is all about semantics. The agent said significantly more, but didn't say significantly more per year.

I could see him getting an offer of something like 4 years 50M with 25m guaranteed. That's significantly more in total than the 33.75M the Browns offered. But if it came from the Jags for example, why not take the more money guaranteed and have a chance to win?

Legend
Legend

Maybe they have realized that your standard of living on $150K/year is significantly greater than it is on $100K/year for middle class America..

But your standard of living on $9M/year isn't significantly greater than it is on $7M/year for a professional athlete..

So $7M and a chance to win and be in the playoffs is a decent trade-off..

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Maybe they have realized that your standard of living on $150K/year is significantly greater than it is on $100K/year for middle class America..

But your standard of living on $9M/year isn't significantly greater than it is on $7M/year for a professional athlete..

So $7M and a chance to win and be in the playoffs is a decent trade-off..

Add in that $5mil in Cleveland goes further than $7mil in say, NY, Boston, SF, etc.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
OMG - he tackles!!! Actually wraps his arm around the ball carrier and tackles as opposed to 'hitting' the ball carrier. Awesome! smile

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
OMG - he tackles!!! Actually wraps his arm around the ball carrier and tackles as opposed to 'hitting' the ball carrier. Awesome! smile

I agree. That is always a good sign. If you are the first guy there, wrap him up and take him down. Let someone else make the jarring hit or rip at the ball.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Thinking about him Delpit and Harrison on the back end. That is pretty special

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
T
Legend
Legend
T
We don't know if/when Delpit will ever be healthy.

Joseph and Sendejo did well last year- ( I don't care what anybody says)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Joseph Yes Sendejo eh

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I like Redwine a lot he has turn into a very good Safety and has a litle ballhawk in him smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sendejo belongs in the Ralph Brown and Terry Cousin category of elite DBs.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Don't forget Hank Poteat!

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's official.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Johnson is way better than either of these players, Sendeljo was horrible in coverage, and great at missing tackles trying to launch himself. He made a few plays, but anybody on the field could do that. He knew how to line everybody up, IMO, that was the only reason he was on the field.

Joseph is a good "in the box" safety. His coverage skills were not the best.

Johnson has an interesting stat. He played like 3000+ snaps over two years and only had two penalties. That is amazing.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is my thought on the Johnson signing.

Sendejo was clearly the worst starter on the team and in my opinion one of the worst starting safeties in the NFL. Johnson is one of the top safeties in the NFL. This is a significant upgrade and in my opinion (all other things being the same) this move makes our defense 3-4 points/game better.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
Here is my thought on the Johnson signing.

Sendejo was clearly the worst starter on the team and in my opinion one of the worst starting safeties in the NFL. Johnson is one of the top safeties in the NFL. This is a significant upgrade and in my opinion (all other things being the same) this move makes our defense 3-4 points/game better.

Tavierre Thomas at nickel corner for a stretch was a close 2nd. I'm hoping an upgrade there is coming, too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This right here, has me geeked!

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

When you add a top safety and drop your weakest safety, the depth chart improves from top to bottom.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
2 penalties. Two penalties. That's insane.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
If you'd have told me a week ago "JJ's coming to Cleveland," this is NOT what I would have expected. I think I like this JJ better!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Love it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
All Pro
All Pro
Good job using the suffix as a design point for the stripes.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
JJIII reminds me a lot of when Jarvis Landry came to town. He has that same enthusiasm and excitement for becoming a member of the Browns. I am more and more excited about him playing here with each passing day! laugh

I think he's going to be a major game changer on defense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
He’s my favourite free agent acquisition, we needed to get better on the back end and he’s a very good player.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign safety John Johnson

Link Copied to Clipboard