Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c...

Uh... let's keep Kwesi under wraps and behind the scenes before he gets poached. Wow -- this dude is razor sharp and very well spoken!

He'll be gone soon. He interviewed for a GM spot this off-season. At least we'll get a pick if he leaves.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: The Collector

Watching a couple things... dude catches the ball away from his body. He actually goes out and reaches for it.

This is a good highlight reel that shows a bit of everything he can do. I have a good feeling about him

Man... with Baker's arm and his speed. you'll never have an overthrown ball...

THis is also a guy who will take the heat off of OBJ... he'll be able to clear out space so that you can actually get the ball to OBJ

Agreed, he high points the ball, catches it with his hands, not his body. He's blazing fast, and shifty. When he sticks his foot in the ground, he instantly gains 3-4 yards on a defender. Works his way through traffic with vision and quickness. He smokes defenders on end arounds and reverses. And, he seems to track deep balls just fine. I like this pick, and the draft so far is stellar. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
j/c...

Uh... let's keep Kwesi under wraps and behind the scenes before he gets poached. Wow -- this dude is razor sharp and very well spoken!

He'll be gone soon. He interviewed for a GM spot this off-season. At least we'll get a pick if he leaves.

Please explain... I had no idea that kind of chicanery existed.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Nevermind, found it... Crazy.

"It's important to note that if the Panthers were to hire Mensah for the position, the Browns would be in line to receive a pair of third round picks with this new rule from the NFL, trying to encourage teams to hire and develop minority front office executives."

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/panthers-kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Wow, didnt know that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

My nick name for Anthony Schwartz is:

"Warp Speed"

Watching this guy run it's like he is a blur.

It may take a couple years but when he laerns how to harness the speed into receiver skills.

Look Out.

I think Schwartz is more finished than people think. It's not like he has stone hands and can't catch the ball. He has good tape. He was a good player at Auburn playing against good competition.

He will get plenty of snaps and won't just be some gadget player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Berry:

Everyone else:

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree w/your comment about his hands. I was pleasantly surprised watching his clips when it came to his hands. A lot of times I assume speedsters struggle to catch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Auburn WR's are so difficult to judge. I don't know why any top prospect receiver would consider Auburn. Yet we see speedster and other good prospects go there and come out to the draft...somewhat unprepared...Malzahn does his receivers no favors with their limited route tree...run heavy offense. He loves the speed because it pulls the defense back a little to give his RB's to run....WR's are tools and not weapons in the Auburn offense.....

It is unfair to label this kid Ricardo Louis...In fact he seems to be faster and with better hands....But the Auburn school of receiving has put Schwartz behind the same eight ball....If Schwartz is willing and can return kicks....we may have time to develop his route running...or maybe he is a quick study and just hasn't been given the chance to really learn route running....

Yes he pops on the field ...but right now that is because of his physical gifts...lets hope there is football acumen or a large potential for football acumen behind that...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/contex...auburn-7-games/
check the source, he gives us speed we needed and he's NOT expected to be starter anytime soon. Lastly, he'll get his shot, looking forward to see what he does with it.....GO Browns

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This pick might be more about attitude. A very fast WR from a run first Auburn team, could be a good pick solely on the fact that he will run and stretch the field.

If he doesn't get the ball thrown his way, he might be the type of player who is okay with just running fast and being a pawn for the defense.

Ya know, WR's cry when they don't get the attempts which can cause friction, this might help in more ways then ya think.

Takes a lot off Baker if he knows he has a speedster and not a diva who's going to cry about not getting thrown to every play.

Legend
Legend

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
-I couldn't run that fast if my butt was on fire, and all the armies of hell were chasing me. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kid could be our slot reciever. He catches well. He just has to protect himself and his body.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Haha his legs look like they’re a cartoon

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

That you can't coach in to a player. Baker better throw the ball just a tad earlier to that dude or he is going to have to stop running to catch it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Last night I watched this 3 part series. I won't link all 3, it's easy enough to follow the links from the first one, and it's about 40 minutes for all of them.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Taking risks in the NFL draft is not something you want to bank on. However, when you have a team as good as the Browns, sometimes calculated risks are the ones that send you over the top. Schwartz has the speed to help the Browns do just that.

All of your reasons are valid but I think this is the most important one.

The Browns have always been in the mode of needing to draft guys who could contribute quickly.. we are no longer in that mode. If this guy shows the work ethic and shows improvement, it doesn't matter if it's 2 years before he really rounds into a solid WR... we have enough talent to wait.

In the meantime, we can use him for gadgets and bubble screens and stuff like that just to keep him engaged and active.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe the coemption on the O-Line in camp and pre season is going to be special ~

T
Legend
Legend
T
Nevermind, found it... Crazy.

"It's important to note that if the Panthers were to hire Mensah for the position, the Browns would be in line to receive a pair of third round picks with this new rule from the NFL, trying to encourage teams to hire and develop minority front office executives."

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/panthers-kwesi-adofo-mensah-gm

The Ravens' already benefited from that, This Year!
(How can the league bend the rules to encourage, and that not be discriminaton to discourage? They Cant, It IS!)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
Taking risks in the NFL draft is not something you want to bank on. However, when you have a team as good as the Browns, sometimes calculated risks are the ones that send you over the top. Schwartz has the speed to help the Browns do just that.

All of your reasons are valid but I think this is the most important one.

The Browns have always been in the mode of needing to draft guys who could contribute quickly.. we are no longer in that mode. If this guy shows the work ethic and shows improvement, it doesn't matter if it's 2 years before he really rounds into a solid WR... we have enough talent to wait.

In the meantime, we can use him for gadgets and bubble screens and stuff like that just to keep him engaged and active.

I heard on some broadcast that Randy Moss' advice to him was to slow down, you can't run every rep at full speed.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Meaning that receivers need to run the pattern to the timing of the pattern and play. In other words, if the QB is expecting you to cross his field of vision in say 4 seconds to be the 3rd progression when running a crossing route, don't cross the intended point in the play in 2 seconds and make the QB try to find you. He won't have the time at that point. He is bailing to run or is being sacked.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Until we drafted him. I didn't know who he was. So, I don't want to pretend to be an expert on him.

Now he is in the NFL. He will get good coaching. He will get to see how refined veterans work. How to build your craft.

After watching his highlight reel. He seems to catch it well. But like any rookie coming into the league. Lots to learn.

But nobody can teach what this guy can do in the forty.

I don't think I have seen someone run that fast. Tyreek Hill forty time is 4.29. Schwartz ran faster at 4.25.

He gobbles up yards. Talk about picking em and putting down. Damn.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
I counted 3 gear changes during it...you can see them

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I think Moss's advice was more to the effect: you can't run every pattern just flat out.

As a receiver, in order to gain separation and set-up cuts and moves in-and-out of your breaks, you need to slow down and vary your speeds.

A receiver that just runs every pattern at full-speed the whole way through is an easy receiver to cover.

Think of how effective a stutter-go route is in creating separation versus just a straight go route.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 05/02/21 08:45 PM.
Legend
Legend
You also need to run your routes at sustainably consistent paces... that pace you can keep up and maintain for at least 15-20 straight reps. The QB will learn that pace, and then you can always go full-tilt if the ball ends up in your hands.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Meaning that receivers need to run the pattern to the timing of the pattern and play. In other words, if the QB is expecting you to cross his field of vision in say 4 seconds to be the 3rd progression when running a crossing route, don't cross the intended point in the play in 2 seconds and make the QB try to find you. He won't have the time at that point. He is bailing to run or is being sacked.

BUT, if you're fast - if the play design allows for it - a faster WR could run those routes deeper. A coach could also call the exact same play but make that WR the primary and have a much faster release to beat blitzes or to frustrate defenses trying to being pressure.
There are lots of ways to make regular use of the speed without messing up normal timing... .but, this is why they practice.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
That too, as well as other points brought up.

In a NASCAR race it isn't always about pedal to the metal. Those guys usually crash and lose. You have to pick and choose when to floor it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T

(Maybe the Browns' Owner wanted his team to have the player with the highest rated speed on A Video game or something and I'll leave it from then on.)

Can't live on a 40 yard dash time in the NFL, and the Bible says, let not your own lips but another mans' praise you, so.

I'd advise A Schwartz, to talk only about his football game from this day on out, never mention his time again, only say he ran "A" time, whatever it was. 4.26,

I'm knowing there are 380 NFL defenders getting paid, that make living not getting beat deep and they'll all be *%*%*%*%* if they are going to let Mr. 426 get by They @$#$@!

I got your 426, right here, How fast does he run with a player wrapped a hand around his waist band the whole play?
Has he been facing this , this TARGET ON HIS BACK, of a 426 40 for the last 3 years at Auburn or only since his pro day?

How well, when the coach lines you up wide on a punt coverage, and two defenders take turns after the punt, blocking you alternating, right off into the sidelines?

How do you overtake Man coverage where the Db turns his back then runs but slows up, on the outside so you run into him, Offensive pass interference?

Does he run delay routes, everybodys' going to be looking for his speed at the snap, run delay routes, start slow, then one outside, then head for the opposite back corner of the end zone and then he can really turn on the jets.

How fast does he recognize when someone is diving at his knees?

Players with straight line track speed get Hamstring injuries and turf toe, is he familiar with either?

I'm sure there is a 6th ranked Db on the Lions or somewhere, fighting to keep his house, that wants to hang around on the team one more week by knocking him down and saying he covered Mr 4.26 40?

A wide receiver, who has one more rushing TD, 7, than receiving TDs' 6, in his college 3 years.

And a target on his back about the 40 time so that every player in the NFL including on the Browns probably wants to say they out played him.
I'd never let anyone talk about it again, there has to be more to his game than that.

That's the challenge, it's an uphill challenge.

How well does he do blocking down on a OLB while holding a corner waiting for a RB to come around the outside?
Can he avoid the illegal crack back penalty?

Simplify, give 4 things to learn all year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
I think Moss's advice was more to the effect: you can't run every pattern just flat out.

As a receiver, in order to gain separation and set-up cuts and moves in-and-out of your breaks, you need to slow down and vary your speeds.

A receiver that just runs every pattern at full-speed the whole way through is an easy receiver to cover.

Think of how effective a stutter-go route is in creating separation versus just a straight go route.

He seems patient through traffic, comes out of he breaks smoothly, and on go routes DBs cannot keep up. I'm excited about this guy. He may be something we've never seen before on this team in the WR room. I don't want to say Tyreek Hill, because every man is his own man, but someone so freakishly outstanding teams have to game plan just for him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tyreek is the natural comparison. That's who most closely resembles this guy's abilities.

Tyreek is smaller, which probably helps him be a little shiftier, but this guy can be our version of Tyreek for sure.

Browns is the Browns

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
He reminds me of Travis Benjamin, but even faster.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low, and hope he can have a similar impact/career to Travis. Anything above that is just gravy.

Legend
Legend
Does anyone feel that Schwartz will be tried at Retuner?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It would make sense. At PR at least. As has been discussed here recently, the rules have made KR somewhat unimportant.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Tyreek is the natural comparison. That's who most closely resembles this guy's abilities.

Tyreek is smaller, which probably helps him be a little shiftier, but this guy can be our version of Tyreek for sure.

If he ends up similar to Teddy Ginn, people around here should be thrilled considering Teddy was a 1st round draft pick. Looks like Teddy averaged a little over 20 receptions a season over his 14 year career.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P

Last edited by PastorMarc; 05/03/21 06:08 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Pretend If this guy ran a 4.44, because the NFL is going to reign him in, and then without mentioning his speed,-

Tell me what about his game is likeable??
Um,
1. He ran for as many Td's in College as he Caught. and

2. He's got unlimited potential for improvement.

3. I have nothing else. frown

Is there a list in history of the Track Stars who developed into a WR after they reached the NFL, but didn't develop into a Wr before, while they were still at the collegiate level? List.
#1. ...

(Give him just 4 things to do all year, and then study down hard on refining those 4, best thought on developing. )

( Take care of that hamstring, watch out for that turf toe, the NFL is about blocking and tackling. 3 Years of College football, where is the production.
Hope I'm wrong, I'm just skeptical. Is he a Football player, does he look like a football player? )

( I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?) -Joe vs. the volcano.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Make him run an 8 yard deep curl into double coverage at a 1st down yard marker, and do it 13 times in a row.
One drill every practice.

If he is coming away with the ball in his hands X percentage of the time?
Then he may be developing???

An 8 yard curl at 3rd and 7.5 yards to go, into double coverage, how many times does he come away with the ball?

( This was a THIRD ROUND WR pick, work, work, work, tons of work.)

Line him up, run that play 13 times in a row, demand it gets done on a 5:00 constantly ticking clock,
That's NFL speed Mr. 4.26,
and he's got to already know that coming from Auburn,
and he's got to already know that coming from Auburn, so where was the on field production, while at Auburn??

A lot to LOVE but the task of developing a fast guy into a better WR in the trenches when starting at the NFL entry day 1.

IS A Monumental Task!

If Anthony Schwarts can't run a Curl Route effectively, then every defense in the NFL is not going to worry about giving up the 8 yard gain?
NO??

B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing where people are inserting him as a starter this year.

He will play because his speed does bring value even if it is simply for decoy. A safety is going to have to shade to his side which opens up other things for other players.

That is how Teddy Ginn made a living all these years.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Berry drafted him in the third round.

The reason was clear. Vertical threat and situational use in speed plays like jet sweeps.

They will no doubt look at special teams use.

He shows promise as a pure receiver. Once he is at practice they will see how quickly he picks up route patterns.

Jarvis will be a good mentor. Jarvis knows how to use short area quickness. There is straight line speed and then there is short area quickness to get separation.

Jarvis and Odell can not be Browns for another contract. That is the economics of the game talking. "Ward speed"
has potential.

We will learn what he does with the opportunity.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Browns Draft WR Anthony Schwartz

Link Copied to Clipboard