Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Malik McDowell, out of Michigan State and the "penal system", he doesn't seem to fit the Browns mantra of smart, tough, accountable.....he of recent prison time. I'd assume they did their due diligence....must believe in second chances. JMHO, I don't want to go down the Gordon and Manziel road again....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M

If it worked out for Wild Thing Vaughn, it can work out for anyone.

Tackles are tackles.
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Good, no, very good answer. Malik's life isn't over, I just hope he's found himself....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: hitt
Malik McDowell, out of Michigan State and the "penal system", he doesn't seem to fit the Browns mantra of smart, tough, accountable.....he of recent prison time. I'd assume they did their due diligence....must believe in second chances. JMHO, I don't want to go down the Gordon and Manziel road again....GO Browns!!!!

FWIW, we're getting McDowell on the opposite end of of his getting into trouble. For Gordon and Manziel, we were there such that we bought high and watched the descent.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I think there is a huge difference between investing in stupid and taking a flyer to see if somebody has screwed their head back on straight.

Our locker room, and the character of it's members, is more than enough to support someone who needs a break without derailing our mission. This is a fast moving train... he either jumps on or gets left at the station. Big difference between that and relying on guys that can't even seem to pack a suitcase.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
We are not relying on McDowell for anything. Gordon and Manziel were supposed to be pillars of the franchise.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We gave up a second round pick investment for Gordon. We're taking a flyer on this kid.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yup.... it's a Risk-Free Trial.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
His draft comp, on SI, was Calais Campbell. If we get anything close to that ... we have to hope he stays out of trouble.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I think the only real downside is if he comes in, competes, wins a job -- and then becomes a headcase or problem on and/or off the field.

Legend
Legend
You cross that bridge when you come to it.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Exactly. It's not like were talking about him bumping a perennial pro-bowler.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am taking a wait and see approach. Obviously he had a life changing experience and 11 months in jail to contemplate his life. Let’s hope his words are consistent with his actions.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Hope it works out. I love redemption stories, especially in the NFL.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
He was drafted 35th overall by the Seahawks back in 2017. He hasn't played in the NFL, hasn't played football since 2016 with Michigan state, (I think).
Malik Mcdowell he's 6'6 295, could be any weight by now, but he has the size and playing History to both Get after the Qb and hold the edge from,
well basically he looks like a 4-3 guy in size.

Now, they can move him to the inside, some have talked about moving the edge rushers on the Browns to the inside but that takes away from your options to rush from the outside,
Maliks still 24, or 25 I think but less than 26 so if this is for the future, 2 or 3 years down the road, and I don't think it takes 2 years talent wise, I think this is a step in and play player, not a starter,
certainly not a starter with the Browns and all the big name edge rushers they've acquired But Another' guy, that teams are going to have to account for
He's got the size and lean, to get after it, and those guys are always worth taking a look at.
But when you take a look at the Browns, you've got Clowney, Garrett, McKinley, Malik Jackson on the inside, he may have a hard time getting onto the field but certainly worth taking a look,
on a normal team he could be a, at worst a 3rd or 4th option at DE to be a thorn in the side of opposing QB's for as long as he's here,
on the Browns he may have a tuff time getting onto the field, but certainly he's Another' option to apply pressure and get after an offense.

And don't forget about Curtis Weaver? Curtis is Another' option around the outside.
And don't forget about Damion Square, Well Square is a guy who may fit on the inside, as an, A pass rusher from the inside, but 9 years in the league 32 years old, With the Chargers, some, some of the sack production hasn't been as much as others but look at him he's another long lean 6'2 287, experienced vet; somebody teams will have to account for.

Again with Square, on a normal team, on a normal team he'd probably immediately step in and provide a change to the D-line, but with the Depth on the Browns it's going to take some time to see who gets defensive snaps, and with a 17 game, it's certainly not a bad thing to have depth, to have role players, to have game changers who can still come in and give the team quality posessions and make a bad day for opposing QBs.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, I was just surprised he's getting a shot because of his background. I'm sure our present coach AND the team will make it crystal clear what the expectations are....hope he works out AND he's damn lucky he's getting a shot, JMHO....Go Browns!!!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, from what I've seen of both Stefanski and Berry, I imagine they were pretty straightforward and pragmatic about the whole situation. If he shows he has changed for the better and can show up on the field, then he has a shot at staying. If he slips up and is a detriment in any way, he is gone.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
No downside to this.

I'll be rooting for the kid. Everybody deserves a chance at redemption.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yup, same. I'm hoping he makes it and rises to be everything he could have been all along. That's good for him and good for the Browns, and it's a great story.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
j/c

I see McDowell as a total wild card/bonus. It hurts us zero if we cut him tomorrow. He can only help us (and by all accounts, he could be a decent player)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
No downside to this.

I'll be rooting for the kid. Everybody deserves a chance at redemption.

I am as well.. Just keep thinking about Chris Carter..Booted by Philly, picked up by the vikings. All the drug problems.. and yet,, he's a HOFer.

That's what I'm hoping for. i know,, I know,, It's unlikely, but A guy can dream right naughtydevil

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yeah, there are examples of people who turn it around and have the lightbulb go off (both on and off the field). It’s kind of a no pressure situation for us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Personally I thought that was over kill on all parts.

Malik..just shut up and follow the instructions of the Police (one request for a supervisor is enough)

Police...Blue Print on how NOT TO CONTROL a Situation. Btw the Taser didn't seem to affect Malik...to the officer Malik could have destroyed you several times over. Got to learn how to control a situation better.

It was a Ticket for crying out loud which escalated into a life death situation.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
He just needs a good supervisor.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I for one love wild and violent defensive players.

H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
EO- where did you get your info about "one" of his infractions. I probably missed it. You never really know what a young man will do once he's given millions. From his rap sheet he got drunk and was riding on ATV the wrong way. Hope he matured in prison and is a positive in Cleveland. I just don't want another Gordon...and I know this organization doesn't need this guy, he is ONLY a potential positive- hopefully good risk, and lots of reward for both parties.....Go Browns!!!!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

Personally I thought that was over kill on all parts.

Malik..just shut up and follow the instructions of the Police (one request for a supervisor is enough)

Police...Blue Print on how NOT TO CONTROL a Situation. Btw the Taser didn't seem to affect Malik...to the officer Malik could have destroyed you several times over. Got to learn how to control a situation better.

It was a Ticket for crying out loud which escalated into a life death situation.

jmho

I watched the TMZ tape. I didn't see anything the cop did that would seem heavy handed. It went way past a "ticket' situation and McDowell is the one who took it there.

That said, my earlier comment stands, I am glad he is getting a chance. I hope he takes the chance and makes it work.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
EO- where did you get your info about "one" of his infractions. I probably missed it. You never really know what a young man will do once he's given millions. From his rap sheet he got drunk and was riding on ATV the wrong way. Hope he matured in prison and is a positive in Cleveland. I just don't want another Gordon...and I know this organization doesn't need this guy, he is ONLY a potential positive- hopefully good risk, and lots of reward for both parties.....Go Browns!!!!

Well I've been limited in my efforts so it was either the Browns website, Google or an article provided by a poster here. Those are my sources - too lazy to go back and see exactly where I got it from.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B

I think it was more about him fighting a cop in a convivence store.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

I just watched McDowell's altercation on with police in Feb, 2019...all I can say is the odds of MM helping himself enough to stay out of trouble off the field is going to be the challenge.

I don't feel good about his chances and it has nothing to do with his football ability.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
Whatever rolleyes

Why search out a guys arrest tape anyway.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac

I just watched McDowell's altercation on with police in Feb, 2019...all I can say is the odds of MM helping himself enough to stay out of trouble off the field is going to be the challenge.

I don't feel good about his chances and it has nothing to do with his football ability.

Did you feel good about Kareem Hunt?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
The beauty of that is that none of our thoughts and feelings on it matter, dude is gonna do whatever he is gonna do.... and it doesn't set us back in any way, at all, if he doesn't work out. We're good and set without him. If he works out, however, we're potentially a lot better.

All that said, I have absolutely no idea how you watch an altercation from the past and feel it is an indicator of anything in the future or someone's ability to better themselves.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think the Beauty is, there are probably not 13 people on the planet, who will end up playing Pro football in a 20 year span,
who can so elegantly dominate a pass rush edge as Malik McDowell for the few snaps he's motivated and in position to.

And there are a boatload of pro football DE's that spend so much effort trying to,
but some things just are unfair nature,

and I think that is a thing of beauty.

It is not fair at all, that someone who doesn't do everything right is much more talented than others who put in so much work trying to hone a lesser skillset.

But I'd take it for what it is, a thing of beauty.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually he didn't really fight he was defending himself after getting tasered its just he was so big and the cop was a pretty small that it looked like fighting.

But yeah that was the altercation for sure. The tape being stopped for a traffic violation in the snow and spinning out so he went to a convenience store and stopped then started asking for the guys supervisor every time he would ask Malik for ID or something.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
The kid has a ton of talent and could be a very good NFL player. He also had a ton of attitude problems in college. If he has grown up he can be a steal. If he hasn't he needs to go ASAP as we don't need him to cause problems like he did at MS.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
The kid has a ton of talent and could be a very good NFL player. He also had a ton of attitude problems in college. If he has grown up he can be a steal. If he hasn't he needs to go ASAP as we don't need him to cause problems like he did at MS.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd bet you that's what will happen.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Actually he didn't really fight he was defending himself after getting tasered its just he was so big and the cop was a pretty small that it looked like fighting.

But yeah that was the altercation for sure. The tape being stopped for a traffic violation in the snow and spinning out so he went to a convenience store and stopped then started asking for the guys supervisor every time he would ask Malik for ID or something.

i gotta believe this guy has a much higher chance of getting it together than a Josh Gordon type of dude.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
yeah I don't get it... after Malik was being a bit belligerent how hard is it to just say ok and call for back up.

I get the cop waiting to stay in the car but what the hell was that guy going to do against someone as big a Malik.... I mean that taser didn't do a darn thing against him.

Malik probably should have stayed in the car rather than go into the store.... but cop could have handled that a lot better...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The whole thing was more stupid than anything else. McDowell could have used better judgement he put his career and possibly his life in jeopardy over some bull$h*t as a black man in America you need to count the cost every time you encounter police. I don't know the law in Michigan but it looked like resisting and simple assault. Those are not major felonies. If I had to do those 18 months I'd be doing some serious self-examination so I never allow myself to get in that situation again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy

Link Copied to Clipboard