Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
FWIW . . .
naughtydevil Welcome to Michigan.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
just another reason to avoid Michigan

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
The kid has a ton of talent and could be a very good NFL player. He also had a ton of attitude problems in college. If he has grown up he can be a steal. If he hasn't he needs to go ASAP as we don't need him to cause problems like he did at MS.

I'd bet a good amount of money that Berry wouldn't have even considered signing the guy without us doing more than a little homework on him, and likely quite a bit and I would absolutely bet it involved at least a good ole fashioned "sit down and let's have a come to Jesus talk". I have little doubt that his short bit of time gave him a wake-up call of just what it is that he is on the verge of throwing away.

I think we have enough solid character types on this team that he will be surrounded by guys that set the example, and I don't doubt that he's been told he needs to learn from that example.

Lastly, I'd bet that it has been made very clear to him by Berry, Stefanski, his agent, and maybe even the Equipment Manager, that he has not made it, he has not "arrived", and he is on a short leash. We don't need him, but he definitely needs us.

I hope for the best, because that's what helps the Browns the most.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'd bet a good amount of money that Berry wouldn't have even considered signing the guy without us doing more than a little homework on him, and likely quite a bit and I would absolutely bet it involved at least a good ole fashioned "sit down and let's have a come to Jesus talk". I have little doubt that his short bit of time gave him a wake-up call of just what it is that he is on the verge of throwing away.

I think we have enough solid character types on this team that he will be surrounded by guys that set the example, and I don't doubt that he's been told he needs to learn from that example.

Lastly, I'd bet that it has been made very clear to him by Berry, Stefanski, his agent, and maybe even the Equipment Manager, that he has not made it, he has not "arrived", and he is on a short leash. We don't need him, but he definitely needs us.

I hope for the best, because that's what helps the Browns the most.
This works sometimes, and not others. Josh Gordon, Anotonio Callaway, and on the other side Kareem Hunt. Although none of these compare with McDowell's situation in terms of severity, they are all instances where the Browns took on players with character issues. I'm guessing Malik has a very short leash. I hope he truly understands the opportunity he's been given.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah no drugs just probably a little disrespect for law enforcement and the media doesn't help as they have crucified the cops...I get it there is major profiling being done, some actually are justified. But so much not. I hate it when I invite a friend over for dinner and he says that in my neighbor hood (very white) but happily to say its actually changing. But he was afraid of getting pulled over of course he did not have a valid driving license. I offered to go with him to the DMV but he would back out, I think he has some old child support stuff. Anyways I still don't like it that he won't come.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Well, without a valid license to drive, he should be concerned if pulled over, profiled or not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think McDowell will have to use limited opportunities to showcase that he has developed a well rounded game that includes even more than just rushing a QB.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
lol...got to remember we got millions of people here so that one could slide by.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Some things I didn't know about Malik McDowell: The dude can play 1-tech and do it well.

Legend
Legend

Really impressive.

This guy has incredible skills.

If his head is on right and he is in shape; there may be something there.

So much is about what's between the ears.

I have seen talent in baseball as a coach that I knew would make a kid a prospect. That is not enough. Talent alone will get you nowhere.

You have to "want it" really bad. And you have to have singular focus to be great. You must be coachable and be willing to use instruction to improve.

McDowell I am sure has been made aware that he must be all in. Any slip up and his career is over.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It sounds to me like MM might be a DE candidate.

The author really did a nice job there IMO. He mentioned (4) defensive player prospects in that video...and (3) of them are now on our roster.

Fun thought regarding the author's comment that MM needs to be in the right lockerrom with the right coaches......when that video was created, Cleveland might have been the last team on that list...and now we might be one of the top 6.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd rather see him inside applying pressure.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think we might have put together a very versatile DL - players that can play multiple positions along the line depending on the down and distance. I could see them all moving around a little - but I agree, inside would be where I would have him as a mainstay (assuming he can still anchor like that).

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed.

I think you could see a decent amount of Clowney inside. But, predominately, I'd prefer to see him at DE.

Same goes with MM. Sure, he can play outside, but I think his value could be more inside.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Agreed.

I think you could see a decent amount of Clowney inside. But, predominately, I'd prefer to see him at DE.

Same goes with MM. Sure, he can play outside, but I think his value could be more inside.

I lean this way as well. If the choice came down to...say...Square vs either Malik...I would think that the ability to not-suck at DE gives the Maliks a leg up.

Legend
Legend

MM has to be on point early.

He is an experiment. He has to impress the coaches right from the start.

Takk, a former first rounder and another guy who has to a lot to prove. Since he showed up at the front door in Berea. He has been all business. He knows what he must do.

McDowell must be at full attention. His body language must be good. He has to be attentive in meetings. He has to show the staff that he wants to be a part of the team.

Many times in life you only get one chance. If you are lucky and you do get a second chance. It is all on you.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
bone..everything you said above must be considered but the fans and media might need to tone down those expectations.

Reading yesterday, I realized that MM has not played a down of football since Nov, 2016...it's been a very long layoff for any football player to overcome.

One of the factors I wasn't prepared for when I went from season to season was the hitting. You simply have no way to duplicate the punishment a player endures, play after play. It took me a few practices to become used to the hitting and I was only dealing with 9 months of a layoff.

This is the period when players are vulnerable to injury as teams adjust to a new season of full go. With MM being off for almost 5 seasons with out hitting it will be period that you hold your breath hoping the players make it through without suffering a serious injury is just "another challenge" facing MM.

I will be pulling for the guy but with the understanding of what a challenge he is facing.

Last edited by mac; 06/04/21 10:09 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't expect that we'll "see" him for a long while, for the exact reasons you've described.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

He is a long shot.

First off. He is a 25 year old rookie. He has not had professional coaching.

He came into the league lacking technique.

He is way behind. He knows little. He will get embarrassed by professional offensive linemen.

He is coming into a locker room rated as one of the best rosters in football. He has never experienced that.

He needs to develop friendships and seek help from other players. He will need to be mentored.

He has a steep hill to climb.

It is all about what shape he showed up in. And him doing all he can to do what he is told.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: mac
bone..everything you said above must be considered but the fans and media might need to tone down those expectations.

Reading yesterday, I realized that MM has not played a down of football since Nov, 2016...it's been a very long layoff for any football player to overcome.

One of the factors I wasn't prepared for when I went from season to season was the hitting. You simply have no way to duplicate the punishment a player endures, play after play. It took me a few practices to become used to the hitting and I was only dealing with 9 months of a layoff.

This is the period when players are vulnerable to injury as teams adjust to a new season of full go. With MM being off for almost 5 seasons with out hitting it will be period that you hold your breath hoping the players make it through without suffering a serious injury is just "another challenge" facing MM.

I will be pulling for the guy but with the understanding of what a challenge he is facing.

That's a very valid concern. I will say, though, that there's "tough" and there's "prison tough". It's a harsh environment even on a good day. A lot of the young guys I see getting released are in the best shape of their lives but I doubt any of them are remotely in NFL shape.

My experience with convicts is that when they get out they either resolve to never do anything even approaching that dumb ever again or they offend again rather quickly. I'm hoping McDowell is one of the smart ones.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
I am giddy at the thought of this guy studding out and sharing the line with Myles & Jadaveon.

He has two VERY SOLID personas in those two to mentor him. Both a solid professionals, and both are just solid people.

I think that as long as he is coming in with the right mindset, this guy is gonna be alright.
Hopefully, he has been putting in enough training leading up to this to at least be in the same physical shape as the rookies.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
I thought that Clowney was more of a personality that had to be managed rather than one you'd want to have manage others (?). Garrett will no doubt be a positive influence. If nothing else, he can just look at the fact that they were in the same draft class and were talked about having the same physical gifts. Garrett is enjoying his second contract and Malik is where he is.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I think the only real issue with Clowney is the perception of him taking plays off (which I have to wonder how much of that is someone seeing him play 2-gap and thinking he isn't giving effort to get to the QB) and him wanting to get paid like he hit the MegaMillions without the stats to back it up.
Beyond that, he's a solid, no-drama off the field, hard-worker that trains for every season like it's his last. Between he & Myles, I think Malik has some really good footsteps to follow.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Really impressive.

This guy has incredible skills.

If his head is on right and he is in shape; there may be something there.

So much is about what's between the ears.

I have seen talent in baseball as a coach that I knew would make a kid a prospect. That is not enough. Talent alone will get you nowhere.

You have to "want it" really bad. And you have to have singular focus to be great. You must be coachable and be willing to use instruction to improve.

McDowell I am sure has been made aware that he must be all in. Any slip up and his career is over.

I disagree about talent getting you nowhere. Wanting it with no talent gets you nowhere. Talent is what got him this 2nd chance.

But yeah, the wanting it is usually what takes a player over the top.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Hard Work wins when Talent doesn't want to put in the hard work.

BUT, when Talent does the work, you can't beat it.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Problem ends up being,
with 3 or more players meeting at the sack to tackle the quarterback, convincing the refs that none of those 3 roughed the quarterback for a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

It's a good problem to have but must be reinforced day after day.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/06/03/cleveland-browns-malik-mcdowell-roster/

This article says some things about McDowell's better level of talent that is someone other than me saying them.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Hard Work wins when Talent doesn't want to put in the hard work.

BUT, when Talent does the work, you can't beat it.

I can agree with that in normal settings. Not so much a pro athlete.

Some people can't throw 90MPH or run 4.4 forties no matter how hard they work. That 70MPH fastball or 5.2 forty just isn't going to get you anywhere.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
You're overthinking it. smile

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
On the flip side some people improve the harder they work. In the NFL not everyone is a superstar or a stud player. Being as where I'm from I know of a baseball player who was not a superstar athlete to begin with. He just worked hard at his craft and got better and better over time.

His nickname was Charlie Hustle. His name is Pete Rose.

I'm not trying to discount what you're saying. I'm just saying it works both ways.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would love to see the Browns hit it out of the park on Malik but I somehow believe we will survive if we don't.

That said I always pull for guys who have had trouble and Malik will be no different he has elite skills, I pray for his sake he has focused on improving and polishing up the skills.

Wouldn't it be great for him 1st and 2nd the Browns to hit on a great player? And for a great player to find themselves with the best team in the league?

A dynasty to follow. Another piece of the puzzle added!

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
I really enjoyed reading this post.

When I finished, I thought: "Just think what Browns fans sounded like just 3-4 years ago. Just think how many years you've spent reading diehard fans routinely expressing their frustration, hopelessness and despair. And now, just look at this."

I know you're AKA as 'Upbeat Dawg,' but that's not why I chose to respond to/piggyback your post. I did it because your post is so emblematic of the general tone and tenor of so many of us now. A shining example of how much has improved- and how tuned-in to it we all seem to be.

This little corner of the web is buzzing about as positively as I've ever seen it. And it feels great- because it means I'm not alone in the optimism I have. An optimism that is still kinda shiny and new- and still a little bit outside my comfort zone. I've spent a wholelotta years being cynical and curmudgeonly about this team. I'm sure that is why part of me still feels like a kid on Christmas Day, when I look at this team in 2021.

I wanna ride out this 'honeymoon phase' for as long as it will play... but I'm also hungry for that threshold moment when I stop being thankful for the absence of pain, and begin each season with an expectation of YPR: 'Yearly Playoff Relevance.'

It really does look like we're at the threshold of becoming a perennial NFL Presence.

My "Battered Dawg Syndrome" is still hanging on by a thread... trying to tell me to temper my enthusiasm, but I gotta tell you:

I can't freakkin' wait for this next season to start.

As a fan, I see an NFL that doesn't intimidate me. I see a CLE team who played with zero intimidation last year... and this year, they are that much farther along in The Process.

What a great place to be, relative to 1-31.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend

On board and loving it.

I am with you and BTB.

So much fun to feel optimistic. To go from where we have been to now makes it even more special.

I wake each day and bath in light of new optimism. I have never felt so strongly about what a season we could have.

It is one thing to start a season hoping "if" all these things go right "we might do ok."

To this season where I can not see failure. There are simply to many good things in place for this team to be bad.

Counting the days.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I would love to see the Browns hit it out of the park on Malik but I somehow believe we will survive if we don't.

That said I always pull for guys who have had trouble and Malik will be no different he has elite skills, I pray for his sake he has focused on improving and polishing up the skills.

Wouldn't it be great for him 1st and 2nd the Browns to hit on a great player? And for a great player to find themselves with the best team in the league?

A dynasty to follow. Another piece of the puzzle added!

Even more than polishing his skills, Ilklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklk, hope he has his mind right.

LOL...my cat had to come up and say hi to dad.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
If his mind is right, the body will follow.
I'm betting he is in shape; good enough shape to get signed, anyway, but likely not in the kinda shape a player that has been doing this for a living would be in... I simply reference the things we've seen posted here recently from Myles, Clowney, Chubb, etc... it's a whole other level when it is your year-round lifestyle.

Browns is the Browns

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Sometimes you hate to be right....

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
The NY Giants, appear to suddenly be a poorly coached or managed org.
The HC wants to encourage fights
after a mega fight the coach wants to punish the players with a 30 minute run. 4 Giants retired left the team outright in the week.

And then:

In about 10 days, iirc, the Browns and Giants are going to joint practice. Soo.

Could use Malik McDowell out there in the joint practices, he has an oblique injury last I heard. frown Get well soon.

1st String
1st String
Giants encouraging fights if it is about being bruised and bloodied that is the wrong way. But if you are doing that to encourage them could be trying to excite them.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I wonder how he looks against starters.
I'm super stoked for this guy.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy

Link Copied to Clipboard