Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Legend
Legend
M
I can see the first two, but not Higgins. But it was called "shocking" cuts for a reason.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I can see the first two, but not Higgins. But it was called "shocking" cuts for a reason.

Mike Drop...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/..._16748_35122817

Three Surprising roster cuts the Browns could make in 2021.

1. Mack Wilson notallthere
2. D'Ernest Johnson notallthere
3. Rashard Higgins notallthere

also mentions the shake out of Curtis Weaver vs. Porter Gustin vs. Joe Jackson
also mentions the battle of JoJo Natson and Jamarcus Bradley vs. Anthony Schwartz and Demetric Felton.

Key article point. Khaderal Hodge is (allegedly) better at contested catches than Rashard,, Hollywood Higgins?
Ahem!
What the heck are they watching!

The problem we've been hoping for since 2000.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
eotab #1867290 06/11/21 12:38 PM
Legend
Legend
Yup. This is one of the few times that a single stat actually says quite a bit without requiring additional context.

Quite simply: when given opportunities, he produces at a high level.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Thats some nice company

Joe Thomas #73
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
IMO, the competition at lots of spots will be FIERCE. Just because you were drafted doesn't guarantee a spot on the roster. Dbacks and Dline, lots of options AND none a chumps. The FSU undrafted guy gets big money for undrafted. He could make the squad. And WRs, WOW, we be cutting some good players. How this all plays out will be interesting. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Yup. This is one of the few times that a single stat actually says quite a bit without requiring additional context.

Quite simply: when given opportunities, he produces at a high level.

Good yards/target means he's catching the ball well AND making plays. This might be a captain obvious statement, but just trying to emphasize

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

same thing I have.

I expect Wilson to be cut. He is not as good as his tweets are. He doesn't play special teams and he was not good his rookie year and he was worse last year.

Taki I think will also has a great chance to be cut.
Walker JOK and Fields are for sure keepers and we also have Malcolm Smith, Lee, and Phillips are likely to stay

that's 7

Johnson could be a surprise cut. I don't think so though.
Higgs I hope we don't cut

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
J/C

I really can’t see us cutting Higgins or Elliott. I could see us cutting Wilson or Natson

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I think Natson being gone is already a foregone conclusion. I think he'd have to jump pretty big to be more than just a camp body.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
for some of you, this may be a surprise

I've been saying this for 2 years.

Legend
Legend
Yup. Because of you and a few others, I think we all adopted 4-2-5 a long, long time ago around these parts.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yup. Because of you and a few others, I think we all adopted 4-2-5 a long, long time ago around these parts.

smile I just hope we actually do it. I could really see line up in a 4-1-6 | 5-1-5 | or 5-6.

We have so much talent. If we stay healthy, we could have the most dangerous defense in the league.

Personally, I'd love to see a 5-1-5 on obvious passing situions with some combo of Garrett//Billings/Clowney/McKinley/Elliot/JOK rushing (possibly JOK rushing next to Garrett or Clowney)

Walker/JOK/Johnson in the middle

Ward/Newsome/Williams
Johson/Delpit/HIll

I think Joe Woods has to be drooling over the pieces he has. He just has to not be afraid to put the best players on the field and build schemes for it. We also should move players like Smith/Taki/Phillips on and off the field as needed based on obvious situations.

T
Legend
Legend
T
There is no way they always have 4 or more DL on the field.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B

Always is a large amount of time, so probably not. Almost always probably fits. We are bound to play a prevent every now and then.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think it really can be amorphous depending on who we play. When we play KC, I could see us going with dime or even quarter packages. I imagine guys like Malcom Smith who are better in coverage get more snaps. Troy Hill would see a lot of time in that game, too to cover the slot.

Contrast that with playing a team like Tennessee (I know we're not playing them this year). I think you'd probably see a more traditional 4-3, with guys like Walker getting more snaps. Might even add JOK in as a safety so it's like a 4-3.5, haha.

Last edited by dawglover05; 06/17/21 09:36 AM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We definitely have the pieces parts to put any look on the field that we need to. We can definitely match up with any personnel group from any offense.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
"it's a passing league" and all that, but I'm hoping we're always keeping an eye on Baltimore, and have an answer for their running attack.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

Contrast that with playing a team like Tennessee (I know we're not playing them this year). I think you'd probably see a more traditional 4-3, with guys like Walker getting more snaps. Might even add JOK in as a safety so it's like a 4-3.5, haha.

I think that right there is why Takitaki will make the 53.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh for sure. I think the Chargers found the blueprint two years ago for how you stop the Ravens. I don't think there's any real secret. I think it's just whether or not you have the personnel and the disciplined, savvy mindset in the players to pull it off. We definitely did not have either last year.

I hope I don't eat these words, but I also think that is why the Ravens have a very slim chance to the AFC Championship or win a Super Bowl. Unless they get lucky, they're going to come across a team who is capable of effectively pulling off that scheme in the playoffs.

What will be interesting to me is how the Ravens will ultimately deal with having to pay LJ. They will have to sacrifice some pieces on that defense. I suppose it will turn into how well they hit on their draft picks that follow. In fairness to them, they are historically pretty good at doing that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
"it's a passing league" and all that, but I'm hoping we're always keeping an eye on Baltimore, and have an answer for their running attack.

You don't honestly think we have forgotten about that, do you?

I didn't think so.

I think we are taking steps to neutralize, or at least minimize the threat Jackson brings to their run game. If we can do that, I don't think their running game is any better than anybody elses.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Do I honestly think we'll show up to play Balt and be like "uh oh, they run the ball too"? No.

But I do think people get swept up in the 'it's a passing game' shtick. We've clearly spent a lot of time and effort on the roster on our backend, and our defensive scheme seems to favor putting smaller bodies out on the field.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's interesting. There are some teams out there that take advantage of the NFL trend of going to a smaller body defense. Tennessee is a prime example with the way they run Henry. Hell, we are, too.

With Baltimore, however, I think you can stop their run with the smaller body approach. The Chargers did it with 3 safeties. Guard the middle, rush 4, and have those four maintain gap integrity. Leave a spy in. Try to get Jackson to throw to the sidelines.

Oh, and score first.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oh for sure. I think the Chargers found the blueprint two years ago for how you stop the Ravens. I don't think there's any real secret.

For the record, they simply did what we had done to stop them.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Always is a large amount of time, so probably not. Almost always probably fits. We are bound to play a prevent every now and then.

I think the biggest danger here now is outsmarting ourselves, creating and dropping in to more looks than we may need to because we can instead of what we need.

I doubt this will be the case though because its pretty clear how disciplined we are top to bottom.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt you can overthink things. To show a new look just because you haven't doesn't make much sense.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

same thing I have.

I expect Wilson to be cut. He is not as good as his tweets are. He doesn't play special teams and he was not good his rookie year and he was worse last year.

Taki I think will also has a great chance to be cut.
Walker JOK and Fields are for sure keepers and we also have Malcolm Smith, Lee, and Phillips are likely to stay

that's 7

Johnson could be a surprise cut. I don't think so though.
Higgs I hope we don't cut

I agree about not being surprised if Taki is cut. I have seen few people talking about not retaining Taki and my memory may be bad or even selective, but I remember a lot of missed tackles, in the open field especially. He also appeared somewhat slow.

Don't get me wrong, I like Taki and maybe I am not aware of his football intellect and knowledge of the defense, so coaches may find him valuable in spite of my "expert observations".

As a Browns fan I normally support all the players so I just want the best players and am not used to good players possibly being cut because of the team's depth of talent.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh for sure. I think the Chargers found the blueprint two years ago for how you stop the Ravens. I don't think there's any real secret.

For the record, they simply did what we had done to stop them.
We played the Ravens the game prior and had success, despite ultimately losing the game. I almost forgot about that one.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
We knew from the word go we were going to run a 4-2-5 but this is the first year we have the proper personnel to do so. So we will actually see it in action. Cannot wait to see it working and then by game 8 see it working like clockwork!

Going to be fun being a Browns fan!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1868367 06/23/21 09:37 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I could be wrong but I don't think people should sell Greedy short.

Newsome was our first pick in the draft. By all accounts he should be a very good corner.

However, Greedy can play. He is fast 4.37 forty. He is long at 6'2". He is smooth. Greedy has quick feet. His back up and transition (hip flip) is quick and smooth. He has all the skills to be a great corner.

The injury had no impact on his legs. All that got him to the NFL is intack. The nerve damage has had time to heal. It is the type of injury that you are either ready or not.

After sitting out all last year Greedy has had the opportunity to look close and learn. He knows the system. Newsome will be stiff competition but Greedy should be fully prepared to handle it.

Woods defense is all about speed in space. We will use three and sometimes four corners. We will use two and sometimes 3 or four safety's.

I expect Greedy to play a role as well as Newsome.

You can never have enough good corners.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Between Ward, Greedy, and Newsome, can one of them play inside? I know Greedy probably can't.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I expect Greedy to play a role, but I don't have high expectations. He struggled when he was last on the field, and it has been forever and a day since then.

Mitchell played far better last year than Greedy did the last time he played, so he needs to make a pretty big jump.

Hill plays inside.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

" Almost always probably fits."

In Short, I'm about to make the argument that each and every player in the 10+ man group of the Browns front DL (iol) DE seems more like a 3-4 player than a 4-3 player,
and for that matter, the two who most resemble a 4-3 player would be Sheldon Richardson and Ogunjobi both gone.

Yes there are guys with flexibility but except for Goaline and 4th and short situations.

We're just splitting hairs because, if a 6'3 260 pound player as or similar to Takk McKinley lines up outside of the tight end and rushes the Qb on one play, and drops into coverage on the next play or provides run support from an outside to inside angle

If it walks like a duck? If they all want to walk like a 3-4 OLB, and have the size of a 3-4 OLB, and the team wants to line them all up in a 4 man line or we can call them 4-3 DL linemen,
fine just win baby. that's the best 4-3 3-4 3-3-5 end combination I've seen in a while.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Greedy never played for Woods.

He played for Steve Wilks who favored a 4-3 base with lots of zone.

Greedy came into the league as press man corner. I do not think he was a great fit for Wilks.

He wasn't bad or good in 2019. He was ok.

He has had time to study. Greedy is a hard worker. He knows he has to compete. And I don't think he will melt.

I hope both Newsome and Greedy are great. Camp battle should be good.

Legend
Legend
That's all well and good, but the fact still remains that the times he has seen the field thus far, he has struggled and my memory is telling me that this included camp of last year, prior to his injury, which was under Joe Woods.

He absolutely can overcome, but let's not pretend he is more than he is. He's a risk that, at this point, is less proven than Newsome.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not sure I see it that way.

Newsome is not proven. It matters not where you were drafted. You have to prove yourself in the NFL.

Greedy has played in the NFL.

It will be a camp battle. If Newsome wins. Then he earned it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Between Ward, Greedy, and Newsome, can one of them play inside? I know Greedy probably can't.

Joe Woods did an interview recently where he mentioned that Newsome displayed the ability to play inside during OTAs...and that that development was essentially a pleasant surprise.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know we have Hill and other designated slot DBs, but my understanding is that a defense that has more DBs on the field benefits greatly when you have flexibility in where you can deploy pieces in your secondary.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
I expect Greedy to play a role, but I don't have high expectations. He struggled when he was last on the field, and it has been forever and a day since then.

Mitchell played far better last year than Greedy did the last time he played, so he needs to make a pretty big jump.

Hill plays inside.

It all comes down to how serious he has been taking his comeback. If he is in the best conditioning of his life then I think hie will leave impact at his position. But if he comes in OK shape then he will simple provide competition for a position that will be manned by Newsomes and he will take a back seat and be the good back up!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1868545 06/24/21 11:42 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

In the end you want competition.

May the best man play.

However, as the season goes on depth will always come into play.

Important position to have depth.

Last night the second Bengal game and the second Raven game was on.

Our offense returns with Odell and experience gained.

The defensive upgrades will be how the Browns take the next step. Way to many breakdowns last year on defense.

Not like missed assignments just poor players.

We should be way better this year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp surprise.

Link Copied to Clipboard