Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Honestly I thought he played very well for a rookie.

If he doesn't make that catch in the Bengal game; we don't make the playoffs.

On top of that he blocks very well.

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-young-browns-players-who-might-be-stars-in-2022-and-beyond/

Sure, he played great for a 6th round pick. Just thought his combine numbers were so dynamic we would have seen something more in terms of athleticism. Sort of explains how a guy so athletic could have such poor production in college. Punt returns looked horrible early in the season, not a ton of separation on routes....maybe Harbaugh is just a bad coach?

Seems like a great kid, love to see him improve.

He made the most of the opportunities he was handed..

I agree. It will be important for him, and more importantly the team, he continues to make strides.

The overall health and balance of the team can't be maintained with both OBJ and Landry making what they make. We need someone to step up as replacement.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

In the first four rounds, you are hoping for a player that will have some immediate impact.

Beyond that it is anyone’s guess.
I'm hoping for 1st rounders have an immediate impact, 2nd rounders to be starters (maybe not immediately), 3rd/4th rounders to be roll players, and beyond that is a crap shoot.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
As a 6th rounder, on this roster, he's already exceeded NFL averages and is in the plus category. If his trajectory continues as it has been, he will be the steal of that draft; he'll be a guy that fans of other teams talk about on their message boards saying things like "look, you CAN get a WR in the 6th".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
As a 6th rounder, on this roster, he's already exceeded NFL averages and is in the plus category. If his trajectory continues as it has been, he will be the steal of that draft; he'll be a guy that fans of other teams talk about on their message boards saying things like "look, you CAN get a WR in the 6th".

Agreed...I'll reiterate here that his rookie season was COVID-time and the coaches really couldn't get their hands on him. A 6th Rd rookie on his own running around in an offense that is new - and learned virtually at that - might look a little shaky from the casual eye. I think we are going to like the guy,

P
Legend
Legend
P
He reminds me somewhat of Derrick Alexander who the Cleveland Browns picked in the 1st round (29th overall) of the 1994 NFL Draft.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I agree. Even if he only improve fractionally over his career, he will be a decent player well worth the selection.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Look at the Steelers over the Roethlisberger years. They draft WRs late in the draft, and they become useful to outstanding. The QB helps make a WR.

That's one thing about the Rodgers situation that bothers me. He has helped his receivers develop, but then almost throws them under the bus, implying, if not saying, that they just aren't good enough.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
wont bother with most of your drivel but one thing just tickled me.

Hodge I don't like, but Hodge is far more along

Well gee duh Hodge is 26 and in his 4th year (???)

I would expect him to be far more along than a 20 year old rookie. Do you even read your garbage?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Online
Legend

I remember listening to Belichick at the opening of camp.

He said something along the line of " I don't give damn how you got here. First rounder or walk on free agent. From this point on you are here and you are here for a reason. You will get looked at. You will get a chance to compete. What you make of it is up to you."

There are rosters all over the league that have undrafted free agents on their roster. If you have the talent you will get noticed and will play.

DPJ got a chance. He made the roster last year for a reason. He showed something. When he got in games. He made the most of every opportunity.

At OTA's Baker said he showed up looking awesome. Like he is more than ready.

If he continues to improve guys like Higgins, Hodge and anyone else will be dealing with him for work.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While that is certainly true there are degrees to that. Investment is also a factor.

We've seen it time and time again where a first round draft pick who busts gets a lot of time to prove himself. Usually a minimum of two seasons. That team made a huge investment in that player and as such will offer him every opportunity to turn things around.

Not so much with a late round pick or UDFA.

So while yes, they will all get an opportunity, that opportunity will not be nearly the same for all of them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

All true.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
So true, at every level of sports, investment means something- as a walk-on at Kent State, the scrubs beat the scholarship guys often-60s, yet the scholarship guys played...I remember a guy from inter Cleveland who as non scholarship player scored 17 pts in a game when scholarship guy was hurt...out he went upon recovery never to see the floor again in meaningful time....memory lane, the world ain't fair...go DPJ, go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't ruin Schwartz if he's actually good.

I think that, (everybody already knows that he's not, and making excuses until its obvious just delays the inevitable and wastes time until they find a fix.)

It's possible that thought is wrong.

Criticizing me for having that thought, won't make Schwartz a better player, the same as

the same as

Hating me for holding that thought won't make Schwartz a better player either.

Development? There have been scores of Wrs. over the years that have had a rookie year, Taylor Gabirel, Syndric Steptoe, Randy Moss, Corey Coleman, name any player, Everybody had a rookie year, they weren't all 20 years old at the time, but they all had a first year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

I think that, (everybody already knows that he's not, and making excuses until its obvious just delays the inevitable and wastes time until they find a fix.)

It's possible that thought is wrong.

Criticizing me for having that thought, won't make Schwartz a better player, the same as

the same as

Hating me for holding that thought won't make Schwartz a better player either.

Development? There have been scores of Wrs. over the years that have had a rookie year, Taylor Gabirel, Syndric Steptoe, Randy Moss, Corey Coleman, name any player, Everybody had a rookie year, they weren't all 20 years old at the time, but they all had a first year.

Just to be clear, you have absolutely no idea how good or bad Schwartz is or will be. None.. You keep pushing this strange agenda..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T

Just to be clear, you have absolutely no idea how good or bad Schwartz is or will be. None.. You keep pushing this strange agenda..

Wishful thinking on your part first.
The team decided to use a 3rd round pick on this player not me. Even to use their other resources elsewhere. Every year the team decides to use resources to address positions on the team. There will be an end someday to Mayfields career and they can live with what they chose to put around him in the meantime. For better or worse.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So what is it that qualifies you to make such a determination? Personally I think this is nothing but trolling.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Many years of watching football, this doesn't do well in the NFL. Good Luck.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Schwartz is above average, it will be a bonus for the Browns. They really don't need him to be above average though. They just need him to be fast and it keeps those DB's from creeping up to stop Chubb and Hunt and from doubling OBJ.

Make the back of the defense respect your speed and punch the front of the defense in the mouth.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So what is it that qualifies you to make such a determination? Personally I think this is nothing but trolling.

I don't think it is trolling, and when you get down to it, what makes any of us qualified?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend

This is a good article on the Browns receivers:

"Under head coach Kevin Stefanski, the 2020 Cleveland Browns opened the season with KhaDarel Hodge as the team's primary third receiver, which had everything to do with his skill set as opposed to talent, so while 2021 may be different in terms of who plays that position, that thought process could still endure.

Despite being the most efficient receiver on the team as well as simply the best of 2021, Rashard Higgins did not become a regular contributor in the Browns offense until Odell Beckham tore his ACL week seven.

Previously, the Browns primary three receivers were Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry and KhaDarel Hodge, even if Hodge was rarely targeted. His size, strength and speed were favored because the Browns offense desperately needed more players that could push vertically to create more space for the rest of the offense. He was also an excellent blocker.

Higgins more than proved himself and short of an injury situation will be the heavy favorite to get the majority of snaps in that third receiver slot. According to Higgins in Jarvis Landry's Just Juice, "I'm not goin just like, zoom, past a [guy]. That's never been me."

And with Landry particularly last year along with an offense that features tight ends, that was a little problematic at least schematically. Ultimately, Higgins was able to find success along with Landry in the lineup out of necessity due to injuries not just limited to Beckham.

The fact Landry plans to play leaner this year should help.

There's an almost inexplicable chemistry between Baker Mayfield and Higgins that dates back to Mayfield's rookie year. Part of it is the fact that Higgins is such an effective route runner and understands how to create separation despite any elite physical traits, something he's been able to do dating back his days at Colorado State.

Not only does he get open, he was the most reliable target on the team last year. He caught everything including a couple truly spectacular catches. It stands to reason the team simply isn't going to doubt it, based on what Higgins was able to do. The fact he's able to attack the intermediate levels of the field effectively, which does not worsen the Browns spacing problems on offense is also in his favor.

Clearly, Stefanski wants more speed in the lineup. It was a priority in the offseason, adding Anthony Schwartz to the wide receiver room with a third round pick, a player who might have been able to go to the Olympics as a sprinter if that was his primary focus.

Schwartz is a rookie and will be utilized even if it's only occasionally to try to stretch the field, but Hodge can contribute in that role and the Browns are likely going to feature Donovan Peoples-Jones entering his second season in that third receiver slot.

This isn't to suggest that Peoples-Jones should be given the job. The Browns love his potential, his work ethic and he's doing everything to put himself in the best position to contribute and grow with this team and in this offense. He just has to get there.

The Browns are not likely to get ahead of themselves with Peoples-Jones. They have proven guys ahead of him still, so they don't need to rush him. As with his rookie season, the Browns allowed all of their rookies other than Jedrick Wills to develop at their own pace, putting them in positions to succeed and grow.

As pleasant a surprise was he was, Peoples-Jones was targeted just 23 times in 14 games as a rookie. He caught 16 of them for an incredible 335 yards.

Hodge was only targeted 17 times in 11 games, but he caught 11 of those for 180 yards and every one of them went for a first down.

Their impact out weighted their actual production, because they were able to make key plays that helped the Browns win games.

It's important to remember that that if the Browns do run three receivers and some combination of a tight end and running back, particularly when it's Kareem Hunt will likely be a more featured receiver than they would be.

On one hand, that means they may not see the ball all that much. On the other, if teams are trying to cover Beckham, Landry, Hooper or Njoku and then Hunt, the defense may give up plays simply because the defense is occupied with trying to stop everyone else.

Should a player like Peoples-Jones prove he's ready to take on more of a role in the offense, the coaching staff isn't going to hold him back. Both Hodge and Peoples-Jones offer size, strength and speed. They may not be burners like Schwartz and Beckham, but they might as well be compared to Landry and Higgins as well as the tight ends.

The more skill sets and body types the Browns have at their disposal (and they have a ton), the more matchup problems they can cause for the opponent.

Getting back to Hunt, don't be surprised if he's the third receiver at times. With more time to prepare the offense, some glimpses of Hunt being used in space to great effect in games such as against the Baltimore Ravens last year, the more they should use him as a receiver.

Whether it's in conjunction with Nick Chubb as the lone back in the backfield or simply motioning him out like previous coaching staffs did seasons with former Browns back Duke Johnson, they can put stress on defenses while identifying the coverage and making life easier for Mayfield.

It's one of the major benefits to running a two tight end based offense. The third receiver can be more of a weapon as opposed to someone that needs to be able to function in a specific task, potentially in the slot or moving the chains. The Browns can be flexible with that position, thinking of terms of attacking the defense as opposed to needs they must fill.

As a result, don't expect a firm depth chart outside Beckham and Landry at the top for the rest of the receivers unless injuries occur. Higgins will likely get the lion's share of the snaps, because he's more than proven himself, but players like Donovan Peoples-Jones, KhaDarel Hodge, Anthony Schwartz and Kareem Hunt could all operate in that role depending on the situation the Browns find themselves this season."

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think a good point is made as to not getting hung up on who is the 'starter". I think a good number of players are going to get a good amount of reps.

I have read many say that Schwartz won't play much. I disagree. It's hard to quantify how many snaps that means, but he is going to play unless it is proven he drops everything thrown his way and he can't get off the LOS.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

The team decided to use a 3rd round pick on this player not me. Even to use their other resources elsewhere. Every year the team decides to use resources to address positions on the team. There will be an end someday to Mayfields career and they can live with what they chose to put around him in the meantime. For better or worse.

So what's your point

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B

So what's your point

I think you know as well as I do that sometimes there are posters who have trouble summing up their thoughts with points.

I just don't think the guy is trolling.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I suppose everyone can come to their own conclusion but in my opinion the investment a business puts into a commodity helps you determine what value that business places on that commodity.

I mean we all have opinions on players, who should start and who is better at their position and how valuable they are to the team. But beyond our opinions I think the investment a team places on a player tells us more about how they see that players value to the team. Higgins has a contract which pays him more than both Schwartz or Drew.

But let's look at how they've handled Higgins. In both of the past two seasons Higgins was only signed to a one year extension. This year they took a pretty big gamble by letting him test the market. So from a salary and length of contract standpoint, it appears their urgency for keeping Higgins isn't of primary importance.

I remember well the deal we made to absorb a 16 million dollar cap hit to acquire a second round pick for Brock Osweiler. Most posters agreed that since we weren't in cap hell it was worth the 16 million dollar price tag for a second round pick.

So if that's the value of a second round pick, what's the value of a third round pick? Because for some reason, even with the plethora of WR talent we have on the roster, this FO felt that such an investment was worth it to draft Schwartz. I think we can all agree that both Jarvis and OBJ as a tandem will not remain on the Browns roster for the long haul. that's far too much of the salary cap pie.

But what we can do is look at who and how they're investing in their attempt to build the WR position moving into the future. The largest investment to date is in the third round selection of Schwartz.

It's very true nobody can predict what happens after a player is drafted. None of us really know what the future holds. But what we can do is look at the evidence in front of us to determine the plan being laid out by those in charge.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

So what's your point

I think you know as well as I do that sometimes there are posters who have trouble summing up their thoughts with points.

I just don't think the guy is trolling.

I think he is Trolling. Why is it wishful thinking?

Yup,, total troll

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Obviously the unknown comes into play.

Investment on the front end is the draft round.

However, guys like Hodge and DPJ were low end investments on the front end.

"If" they turn into front line starters. That provides a huge return on investment.

High end free agent receivers will always be available. That is relatively common. Just like when we signed Jarvis.

This year DPJ and Hodge will be hard pressed to get targets as long as Jarvis, Odell and Higgins remain healthy.

However, KS and Berry will be looking hard at Schwartz, Hodge and DPJ knowing Odell and Jarvis can not last here.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Point being, investment on the front end indicates how the investor sees the perceived need and value. So even with the other WR's on the roster, they made a much higher investment in him than they did any of the others.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Actually, we traded for Jarvis.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
True. My bad. I was unsure and did not look it up.

Point remains.

Good free agent receivers are always out there.

Last edited by bonefish; 07/13/21 06:07 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish
True. My bad. I was unsure and did not look it up.

Point remains.

Good free agent receivers are always out there.

It's a philosophy of building your football team thing.
"Good free agent receivers are always out there."
is one philosophy. It's not one I'm primarily fond of but Go Browns.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess it depends on the free agent.

Some free agents are pro bowl players. Some not.

Technically, I am a NFL free agent. Today I will be a QB and tell everyone I see that I am a NFL free agent QB.

Just waiting on the call. I am ready!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Donovan Peoples-Jones.

Link Copied to Clipboard