Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Seems like a pretty good bet, if you ask me.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
pure and simple Myles is a BEAST!
RELEASE THE KRAKIN!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's don't go nuts like we did in 2019 yet please.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I just read that somewhere else.

I like Mr. Peanut. Planters, go nuts. Then those cookies with the peanut butter on the inside shaped like a Mr. Peanut, Nutter Butters, Oh! Delicious.
Not quite like an Oreo though! Oh Oh Oh! Ice cream cold and I'm gonna sing the song, they forEver go ToGether...

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Week One- Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs -5.5, O/U 52.5

If you read many of my columns last year, then you won’t be surprised to hear I’m taking the Chiefs -5.5 and that it’s my favorite NFL Week 1 betting pick of the slate. The Chiefs started 2020 6-2 against the spread before going 2-9 ATS in their final 11 games (playoffs included). In 2019, the Chiefs stormed out of the gates to cover their first three games, and the year before that, 2018, they started the season by covering the number in eight consecutive games. I point all that out because I believe the Chiefs are a great team to bet early in the schedule, but not so great to bet later on. See, Kansas City comes out hot, gets a comfortable lead in the standings, and then puts away their tricks as they preserve themselves for the playoffs. Rinse and repeat. The three-headed monster made of Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill is surely hungry after an embarrassing loss in the Super Bowl. As such, I expect them to feast on the Browns during the season opener. If there’s one bet to lock in now, I say it’s this one.

NFL Week 1 Pick: Chiefs -5.5
https://rotogrinders.com/articles/nfl-week-1-lines-betting-picks-3342105

Side note: 52.5 might be the highest over/under of Week One at this point.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I still like getting the Chiefs right out of the gate with their revamped O-line, and a re-tooled D for us.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. I'm just going to take it one game at a time and hope for the best. I've seen these lofty expectations before and have been disappointed. I want a Super Bowl victory as much as any Browns fan. Let's see how things unfold. JMO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Let's don't go nuts like we did in 2019 yet please.

Why shouldn't we get pumped up this is a soon to be declared great team and as fans we don't change squat but we do get to talk smack and this team gives us plenty of things to talk smack about.

Nothing wrong with being pumped sorry but there just isn't. This isn't 2019 and FK is gone and we have seen ski's work and believe he will deliver the promised land what is wrong with that? Live the dream !

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Steelers signing Melvin Ingram pass rusher to 1 year deal 40 minutes ago.
(NFL News.)

Son of A COW!!
I liked him coming out of college as a prospect originally a Charger, they ruined him,
probably the #2-5 top defender from his draft class.

boo

Last edited by THROW LONG; 07/19/21 04:55 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
I still like getting the Chiefs right out of the gate with their revamped O-line, and a re-tooled D for us.

Same here.. I like it. If you think the hype is high now, if we beat them, look out LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
This isn't 2019 and FK is gone and we have seen ski's work and believe he will deliver the promised land what is wrong with that? Live the dream !

The only thing wrong with that, WHOOO!!!

is um I'd say AV Pelt, and Stump Mitchell were just as pivotal as K, Stefanski. Whoooo!!!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

If you read many of my columns last year, then you won’t be surprised to hear I’m taking the Chiefs -5.5 and that it’s my favorite NFL Week 1 betting pick of the slate. The Chiefs started 2020 6-2 against the spread before going 2-9 ATS in their final 11 games (playoffs included). In 2019, the Chiefs stormed out of the gates to cover their first three games, and the year before that, 2018, they started the season by covering the number in eight consecutive games. I point all that out because I believe the Chiefs are a great team to bet early in the schedule, but not so great to bet later on. See, Kansas City comes out hot, gets a comfortable lead in the standings, and then puts away their tricks as they preserve themselves for the playoffs. Rinse and repeat. The three-headed monster made of Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill is surely hungry after an embarrassing loss in the Super Bowl. As such, I expect them to feast on the Browns during the season opener. If there’s one bet to lock in now, I say it’s this one.

I agree with this.

I also don't see another loss on the schedule for like 9 or 10 weeks after this.

Legend
Legend
I'm tired of us floundering out of the gate. Even if we don't get the W, I want us to look prepared and not get blown out. I want us to be the toughest game they've played all year - until the next time we face them in the postseason.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
What are some keys to the game in week one vs. the Chiefs, it's oll I'll guess only about just less than 70 days away. (55 days)
I'll start with one, Pass protection, the Chiefs may be undersold on their pass pressure, but with Andy Reid as a HC, I'm sure they'll have wrinkles and exploit any weaknesses the Browns show in protecting Baker.

R
Legend
Legend
R
If the handicappers are correct, and they most likely are because they are good at what they do...there's a good chance we can lose by 5 but still look good and prepared and give them a helluva game. Schedule is easy this year so they'll rebound. We could lose this and still be 10-1.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns defensive line roster spots. Jordan Elliott, Andrew Billings, Damion Square. ... ... Now, When! the time frame the Browns signed Damion Square which was after the draft, the very day after, in 2021, may be a,
(How do I make this point) A thing we can look at that gives us a hint as to what they mean to do.

When an anylitics team, that looks at value over replacement player, actually signs a clear replacement player, I think it may be a sign that the decision is being made, (barring injuries and unforseens of course,) to move on from a previous decision.

I think Damion Square was brought in to replace somebody in a similar position who isn't producing enough, whether it is Billings or Elliott, I don't know, just a guess, but Training camp is about to start in a week and it will be put up or get out time.

The Browns went into the draft, they came out of the draft they didn't get anybody who played DL, except Togiai, and they felt the desire to pay Marvin Wilson, and then,
If they were satisfied they wouldn't have signed Square. If they were... dreaming of getting their hands on Square, they would have pursued him prior to the day after the draft,
the Timing, is the hint, that Square is an actual replacement player for someone who isn't offering value over replacement player, and if a team goes as far as to actually sign the guy the decision is already set, maybe.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
If the handicappers are correct, and they most likely are because they are good at what they do...there's a good chance we can lose by 5 but still look good and prepared and give them a helluva game. Schedule is easy this year so they'll rebound. We could lose this and still be 10-1.

Exactly.

One of the things the Browns were really good at last season was coming off the loses they did have with wins, 5 times in fact.

I believe the Browns are built at this stage to take on teams like the Chiefs and the Ravens although both of those teams run vastly different offenses. Both do however have one thing in common they are fast for the Chiefs that is Hill for the Ravens that's Jackson. Those 2 players are the big reason why the Browns put so much emphasis of team speed. We have the horses to keep up and have added speed on the offense as well.

But who knows where the Browns will be in terms of defensive development? We hung tough with KC last year I really don't see how we don't fair better this season. The key in this game I believe is how we do attacking the Chiefs deep to loosen things up for the running game to take over. On the other hand last year the Chiefs focused on Chubb and had some success they are sure to come out with a different sort of game plan to start the season. It was during that game that I realized how much we missed the element that OBJ brings to the table. Will Swatrz and OBJ be on the field at the same time in this game really putting the pressure on the Chiefs in a track meet game.

I like our chances but I also realize that it's sorta new to the defense, and the Chiefs namely Kelce and Hill are dynamic players that Reid has created ways to get them the ball. Do the Browns attack from the start and force Mahomes to make quick reads and deal the ball. And how do they attack him? This game has a great deal of intrigue and I think the Browns have the ability to put a great deal of pressure on the KC defense. IMO I would attack on both sides of the ball and look to put KC behind early.

Oh and they really have the Chiefs as 2.5 point favorites. 3 points for being the home team. Arrowhead is also one of the loudest stadiums to play in, and this offense hasn't really had a loud stadium to play in sense it was reassembled a year ago. No doubt the advantage is with the Chiefs but I still like our chances and I think we have better overall talent, but will that show from jump? Should be a great game.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
With the addition of Schwartz, it wouldn't surprise me to see us attack them with their own looks. Schwartz in the role of Tyreek, Njoku/Higgins/Landry in Kelce's role, but with the addition of OBJ.... but, I think we can give them more trouble than they can give back, now.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Your premise that Schwartz would effect this game would be more likely if the game were on or after Halloween weekend to get him some time to get his feet wet.

(That's not too mean of a comment considering, in my opinion, Shehe Gusieppe, JoJo, Jamarcus Bradley, I'm forgetting somebody, Willies, Felton and others are, or would be more of a threat downfield.)

First I was thinking about Mitchell Schwartz, (where'd he go) of the past then I remembered there is Antonio Schwartz.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, all of the WR's you mentioned would be more of a downfield threat than Mitchell Schwartz.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
lol

This roster has certainly come a long way.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro
I strongly believe that the first game, win or lose, will show us what we have for 2021. Can they beat KC? Sure, if they take Mahomes out again. And I'm not a huge fan of intentionally targeting a QB with an eye towards generating an injury.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend

The difference between this year to last year will be made clear in that first game.

Speed rush from Myles and Clowney in combination with coverage.

Both Mahomes and Lamar are threats outside the pocket and past the LOS.

Both Myles and Clowney are fast. Vernon was not.

When you pair them getting outside them will be no easy task.

Second level JOK. He will play right side. Both Mahomes and Lamar are right handed and would prefer to roll right.

JOK is excellent at protection against RPO's which both the Chief's and Ravens like to use (Ravens especially).

We can now roll the safety's to the left with over under coverage.

Honestly, I am not sweating either team.

I think we have answers and will be ready.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Honestly, I am not sweating either team.

I think we have answers and will be ready.

Always sweat the other team. Fortune favors the prepared.
The biggest difference between last year and this year is that we have the horses to defend in multiple ways. We aren't in a position of one position group having to try to hide the weaknesses of another, or us having to suffer taking our chances with a given weakness because we have no way of covering for it. This roster is not limited in any way by talent in any position group.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I don't think we need to "take Mahomes out" to beat the Chiefs, and I won't take anything away from them, but... this is their margin of victory down the stretch...

Nine game stretch through their victory over the Browns:

I know it sounds silly, and I know it's not that simple, but it seems all you need to do is score one more or prevent one more touchdown.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
The opponents who usually become the victors are the one's you're not worried about.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

They are a good team but they were beaten.

IMO there is tendency glorify and over estimate teams and quarterbacks.

All the top teams can be beaten. Brady and Mahomes can look ordinary when there is a rush and guys are covered.

That's football.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

All the top teams can be beaten. Brady and Mahomes can look ordinary when there is a rush and guys are covered.

That's football.

Not for nothing but I think its a mistake to underestimate any team... The saying "any given Sunday" pops into my mind.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

That's football.

Not for nothing but I think its a mistake to underestimate any team... The saying "any given Sunday" pops into my mind.

I agree, and if the KCs and TBs of the world underestimate the Cleveland Browns they're gonna get a bloody nose.

Legend
Legend

That's football.

Last year we had a game where almost our entire WR corps was in the COVID restriction, and we wound up losing to the Jets. Weird things happen in the NFL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

That's football.

Last year we had a game where almost our entire WR corps was in the COVID restriction, and we wound up losing to the Jets. Weird things happen in the NFL.

Right, and in the off season, the Jets Traded their starting QB...You just never know.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: FATE
I don't think we need to "take Mahomes out" to beat the Chiefs, and I won't take anything away from them, but... this is their margin of victory down the stretch...

Nine game stretch through their victory over the Browns:

I know it sounds silly, and I know it's not that simple, but it seems all you need to do is score one more or prevent one more touchdown.

Them winning by small margins shows they are really good not close to being bad.
And it's a lesson I did not understand for years, I learned it watching the circa 1997 Jaguars go 14-2 after a year they were in a lot of close games, and I thought it meant they weren't really any good, because they constantly only won games by a small margin.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The opponents who usually become the victors are the one's you're not worried about.

How do they beat the Browns. What is the Browns weakness in a year where there are no weaknesses, what are the Browns overlooking. What is going to pop up as the reason if the Browns come away from a game getting dominated like the Raiders 2020 game.
What are the problems the Browns need to be aware of what are my favorite teams weaknesses, how would I stop the Browns?

The Browns best tool is their offensive line. Even with all things considered, The Browns don't "want" to win a game only by passing too much, the Browns could have a bad outcome if they are forced to pass too much,
the Browns love their dominant running game, their dominant offensive line, in short
The Browns are not built to win games when their offensive line has a very bad day.

In my head, the biggest weakness of the Browns is... besides overconfidence and reading press clippings?, is
that the strength of their offensive line, (which is pretty dang good), is a crutch to the rest of the teams success.

So, how would I, hmm, had a thought. .. Part of the reason the Browns OL performs well, is the coaches, orchestrate plays, where the Browns can isolate blockers to make favorable blocks on defenders and feel good about dominating.

(So I'm just saying my strategy would be to beat up the Browns OL, one by one, their are 5, maybe 7, but not 22, not 53.
If the bad guys, can isolate and dominate, because... an OL's strength is relying on buddies, and togetherness as a unit, never want to feel alone on an island,
corners do it,
OL don't do well alone on an island and then get hit.

What does this mean? it means not going after the QB.
the QB, Baker can have time, eh he's going to have time anyway, he usually would have time.

Were going to take, that LOS, line of scrimmage, 60 yards wide, whatever, 9 front, put 9 guys on it

Stay and hit, just stay and hit, on that, right on that LOS, shut down the run game, with gap integrity, and make the Browns throw the ball more than they want to.

And, to think, there are 5 OL, now, if the strategy, is to beat the browns by giving their OL a terrible day, you don't have to physically hit, punish, and dominate all 5 of them. (they are all all-pro level anyway)
Just 3 of them. (11 on 3.)
If you can isolate, all 5 Browns OL into where they feel they are alone on an island each one,
and then, really have 3 of those 5 lose their battles all day long, just get dominated.

The Browns would be, in uncharted waters, the Browns, are not built for and do not have a lot of experience knowing what to do behind bad OL play,
They would struggle to come up with something and it wouldn't work out.
Boom! That's the weakness, Go fix it. frown

Because, this is not the year to lose games simply because when they showed up the other team didn't roll over and play dead at the sight of their Orange and Brown uniforms. Everything will be tough earned.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

You mention the 3 headed monster of Kelce, Hill and Mahommes, sure, they are going to get their licks, no to very little chance you are going to shut out the Cheifs, (just have to absorb their punishing blows and minimize the damage.)

Andy Reid is an Old School coach who understands defense and a running game. He knows how to win, (and IMO, I like to remember, he knows how to Lose to!)

The Chiefs are going to utilize their Rb's, Helaire, and I can't remember if they added one. I think Reid secretly wants to out rush the Browns in game one as a statement. So Stopping Clyde Edwards Helarire, and the fundamental, old school, run of the mill running plays from the Chiefs will be a paramount key to chances to win that game I'll say.

B
Legend
Legend
B

That's football.

I agree. That is why I don't take much stock in to power ranking and such. There are no weak teams in the NFL IMO. The team you are playing that week is the strongest team in the league for that week.

Every team in the league can beat you so we need to go out and play every team with the same intensity and respect.

Losing a game because of a "off" week is one thing. You better not lose because you didn't take some team seriously. Intensity and respect is like hustle. It should never slump.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
A coulple of articles are starting to come out under a search of Browns news.
This time of year, mini camp is over, training camp has not started.
I believe, if the people who make the decisions are behind some of the articles, that even a casual fan can get messages from what is being discussed, pertaining to what the team wants to tell you.

I also believe, deep down the teams want to tell us fans who is going to make the 53, and, that many of those decisions are already 99% done,

Through many years, um maybe back in the early years of the return, it sort of was made obvious that a great pre season didn't stop a player from being dropped from the 53.

So two of the things I've read in the past 48+ hours, support a theme of what might happen in roster cuts, and it's sort of interesting to make up ones own mind, and later see if that's how it works out.

I'd urge all readers to seek out articles in discussion of spots and players because, I believe,
and some of the articles' messages seem to support it, that these mega bucks decisions are being made this week

and it sort of makes sense, because if you get together and make all the roster cuts, before the people are in the building it can take a lot of the outside noises that cloud the decision process out of the equation.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Losing a game because of a "off" week is one thing. You better not lose because you didn't take some team seriously. Intensity and respect is like hustle. It should never slump.

agreed.

1. I get the message you're trying to get across.

2. I think there's zero to -1% chance that this coaching squad will allow its players to take another NFL team for granted. The entire reason the Browns coalesced as they did was because of the meticulous preparation KS&Crew set down, from Day One. We all saw it in Building The Browns.

My confidence as a fan comes from seeing not only the potential of this team, but also the reality of what my eyes told me from last season. Confidence isn't cockiness. I know better than that. I think the kind of confidence I feel about this team is in keeping with the culture Stefanski was installing: know your worth, know your role, know your team mate.

That stuff is central to establishing a team that consistently contends for the highest honors. Daily discipline is where all that begins. Our team had that in spades last year. I expect them all to hit the ground running this year.

Best example I can think of: "This week, we're looking to go 1-0."

Like I said, I get your message. At the same time, this is the first offseason that I can read those sentiments with a slight smile of anticipation, instead of an empathetic nod of the head.

This team is very different from the "Fool's gold" teams we were peddled in seasons past. It's different from top to bottom.

I expect our team to show up prepared every time. I expect a clunky-looking game to still end in a win.

Thanks for letting me free-associate off your post. I just remembered how disciplined we were last year, and thought it bade well for the future.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
I am starting to get really excited about this season, but it's a quieter, more confident excitement; not the unbridled enthusiasm and hope of Freddie or Weeden & Braylon. I can SEE how this squad ended the year, and unlike the way we followed our last playoff appearance by tearing down due to being in Cap Hell, we were able to double-down and dramatically improve and makeover an entire unit. It's only taken us like 22 years, but we have a professional football team in Cleveland, and they're about to smack the NFL in the mouth.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with you as well. My comments were geared for the comments Daman made.

I also agree that I don't see much of a chance we go in to a game overlooking teams. I might disagree in that I see zero% as the bottom line, and will always give it some kind of chance of happening, so I'd say maybe a 1% chance at best.

I don't think that would come from the coaches, but sometimes players can get a little out of focus. Again, it's a small enough chance that I don't see it happening.

To free associate off your post, I agree about the discipline the entire team has demonstrated. Everybody seems to be team oriented. In order for a team let down, it would have to be more than 1 player. It would take several in "coast' mode. I don't think the other players on the team will put up with that. I don't think we have a shortage of players who would hesitate to go up to the "coasting" player and tell them to get their act together.

Naturally everything has to mesh, and we have to at least not be killed by injuries, but I think we can be something special.

How special? Only time will tell that, lets just say real special.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree with you as well. My comments were geared for the comments Daman made.

I also agree that I don't see much of a chance we go in to a game overlooking teams. I might disagree in that I see zero% as the bottom line, and will always give it some kind of chance of happening, so I'd say maybe a 1% chance at best.

I don't think that would come from the coaches, but sometimes players can get a little out of focus. Again, it's a small enough chance that I don't see it happening.

To free associate off your post, I agree about the discipline the entire team has demonstrated. Everybody seems to be team oriented. In order for a team let down, it would have to be more than 1 player. It would take several in "coast' mode. I don't think the other players on the team will put up with that. I don't think we have a shortage of players who would hesitate to go up to the "coasting" player and tell them to get their act together.

Naturally everything has to mesh, and we have to at least not be killed by injuries, but I think we can be something special.

How special? Only time will tell that, lets just say real special.

Agree 100%.

The writing is on the wall -- literally.

SMART, TOUGH, ACCOUNTABLE

It wasn't a battle-cry by a new coach walking into a room of veterans with their positions firmly planted in mediocrity and a lazy approach to their "paycheck", it's the way this franchise was built -- from the ground up.

There's not a single player that shoulders enough weight, garners enough liberty or even carries enough "attitude" to change that... Maybe for a play or two, but nothing beyond that.

Why? Because if that's your m.o., you will get left behind.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard