Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is great news!

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Often times teams (and GMs specifically) certainly overpay in the FA market but can do the same with their own players and make them the highest paid player in fear that they may walk if not given that type of contract. That doesn't seem to be the case here. As much as we all love Nick Chubb and what he has done for the team so far, his contract does fall in line, IMO, to where he ranks against other RBs. He is not as a complete back as CMC, Cook, Kamara, Henry, Saquon (although still on rookie deal), and perhaps even a healthy Elliott. If we were planning on giving him an outrageous contract like Zeke's, or a lesser extent CMC, I would have been very concerned.

This seem on par for where Chubb falls in terms of value and its doesn't seem like we overpaid or had the expectation to make Chubb the highest paid RB just because it was his turn to for a new contract. This is a good thing.

Nick has said all along he wanted to remain with the Browns. I can't say I blame him. I think winning is very important to him and the money he has gotten and will get insure his future on and off the football field. He unlike many players today are out for all they can get, and put the team in bad spot because they suck up huge chucks of the salary cap. This contract is just right and the other RB's who are getting more aren't worth it IMO.

On the business side it just doesn't make sense to pay boat loads of money to a RB. If it hadn't been Nick the player and the man I wouldn't spend this much on a RB their careers end rather quickly.

The entire team and fans and organization and Nick all won on this deal. welcome home Nick so glad your here.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chubb is my favorite player since Joe Thomas. Class act and lunch pail guy.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nick Chubb is the best Browns back since Leroy Kelly. This is awesome news. We now have the best running back room in the league. This is exactly the kind of thing the Browns used to screw up. Bodes well for us that they got this done!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
This is great signing for the Browns and bodes well for the ability of Andrew Berry to negotiate all the pending contracts. I believe he will also get Baker signed for a similar discount.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Put extra popcorn and wings on the grocery list. This signing is great news. And the video is phenomenal. Loved it, but only a bunch. Still looking for my copy of "Here We Go Again!"

Thanks for this. Great stuff. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Put extra popcorn and wings on the grocery list. This signing is great news. And the video is phenomenal. Loved it, but only a bunch. Still looking for my copy of "Here We Go Again!"

Thanks for this. Great stuff. thumbsup

Legend
Legend

Damn life can be real hard on a million a month.

I don't see Chubb as a guy who will be loose with his money.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Love this. It’s a reward for many things - his talent, character and devotion to his team.

I’m glad we didn’t go the route of ‘oh well we can always get an RB in the draft’. Chubb isn’t run of the mill, he’s a truly elite back. Beat you with power or quickness.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In a similar thread, months ago, I said Chubb isn't looking to be the highest paid RB. Pay him fairly, and he'll stay with the team. It's part of who he is.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Damn life can be real hard on a million a month.

I don't see Chubb as a guy who will be loose with his money.

I have a suspicion that Nick Chubb will, one day, use his wealth for a greater good.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Fairly stated.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I watched Part 1, and I gotta say that that could've just as easily been a highlight video for the Oline. Not trying to be 'that guy', but man oh man do we have something special in our ground game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Nick Chubb, a 'pillar of the Browns organization,' rewarded with 3-year extension
The 2-time Pro Bowler has already established himself as one of the best RBs in team history

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/nic...-year-extension

Nick Chubb's impact on the field and inside the Browns locker room has been felt and appreciated from the moment he was drafted.

On Monday, the Browns and Chubb ensured the positive, lead-by-example impact he's provided won't be going anywhere soon.

Chubb, a two-time Pro Bowler who has already established himself as one of the best running backs in team history and has been among the league's best at the position over the past three years, signed a three-year extension that runs through the 2024 season.

"From the day Nick Chubb first entered our facilities, it was clear to see that he would become a pillar of our organization," said Andrew Berry, Browns EVP of Football Operations and General Manager. "Although Nick may be a man of few words whose strong-and-silent demeanor can be easy to overlook from the outside, his actions over the past three years have reverberated within the walls of our building. Nick's on-field contributions stand for themselves. He is a dynamic runner who is on pace to be one of the most accomplished players to ever don an orange helmet at the position. But it's his work ethic, intelligence, toughness and selflessness that makes us proud that he represents our city. Quite plainly, Nick embodies the soul of our team and we are thrilled that he will be a Cleveland Brown for years to come."

Chubb's no-nonsense, team-first approach has been lauded ever since the Browns selected him in the second round with the 35th overall pick. He's twice been the team's nominee for the NFL's Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award and was voted on by teammates as the Browns' Ed Block Courage Award winner in 2020.

"A great player. An even better person," Browns Managing and Principal Partner Jimmy Haslam said. "(There are) very few people I have met like Nick Chubb."

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Nick Chubb “honored” to remain in Cleveland, Browns “thrilled” to extend his contract

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sports/...utm_term=WKRKFM

Nick Chubb put pen to paper on his three-year, $36.6 million contract extension Monday morning.

The two-time Pro Bowler agreed to the new deal Saturday.

Chubb will stay with the Browns through the 2024 season and the contract will allow Chubb to become a free agent when he is 29.

“It means a lot to me to be able to stay in Cleveland and be a Brown,” Chubb said. “It’s an honor to put on the orange helmet and represent the city of Cleveland and these great fans. I’m happy that I will be able to be here for many more years. The Browns put their faith in me during the draft and I want to say thank you to everyone who believed in me and who has supported me. There is still a lot of work to do to continue to get better and become a better team.”

Cleveland selected Chubb in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“From the day Nick Chubb first entered our facilities, it was clear to see that he would become a pillar of our organization,” Andrew Berry, Browns executive vice president of football operations and general manager, said. “Although Nick may be a man of few words whose strong-and-silent demeanor can be easy to overlook from the outside, his actions over the past three years have reverberated within the walls of our building. Nick’s on-field contributions stand for themselves. He is a dynamic runner who is on pace to be one of the most accomplished players to ever don an orange helmet at the position. But it’s his work ethic, intelligence, toughness and selflessness that makes us proud that he represents our city.

“Quite plainly, Nick embodies the soul of our team and we are thrilled that he will be a Cleveland Brown for years to come.”

The $12.3 million average annual value ranks sixth, right behind Derrick Henry of the Titans, among running backs.

Chubb has totaled 3,557 yards and 28 touchdowns on the ground while adding 72 catches for 577 yards and a pair of scores through the air.

"Nick Chubb is a tremendous football player, but an even better person," head coach Kevin Stefanski said. "He is one of the best examples of a team player that I've been around. Nick always puts the team before himself, and that's why you love seeing a guy like him get rewarded."

Chubb is the first Browns player since Jim Brown to post two 1,000-yard seasons in his first three NFL seasons. With 28 career touchdowns, Chubb already ranks seventh in Browns' history. his 3,557 rushing yards rank sixth.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Yes we do. And all parts need to work together for success.

I was a little disappointing when he was drafted... concerned about his recovery from the knee injury and whether or not he would ever be back to "full speed"... concerned that he wasn't much more than the "one-cut runner" that the analysts coined him as.

We wasted so much talent at "skill positions" over the years by not having the supporting cast that was necessary. It's refreshing to see this all come together from "top to bottom" for a change.

Chubb? Never expected him to run with such power, never expected the second and third gear, never expected (and he still doesn't get enough credit for) the incredible vision he runs with. On top of all that, even when you are in position for a textbook tackle -- he wields and absolute battering ram for a stiff-arm.

So much fun to watch!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
IIRC, the main worry about him coming out of the draft was speed due to his injury. His tape pre-injury was indicative of what he could become. IMO, Nick Chubb will never be mistaken for one of those track star RBs, but you can't have that ~90 yard TD vs the Ravens (the one where he dusted their secondary) while being 'slow'.

He's very 'quick' as well. Seems to accelerate well out of broken tackles (if he slows down at all). Is that power or balance?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Browns sign Nick Chubb for three more years: Gotta love it! – Terry Pluto
Updated Aug 01, 8:37 PM; Posted Aug 01, 5:33 AM
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND – “Yay!”

That’s what my wife Roberta yelled when I yelled across my office about the Browns signing Nick Chubb to a 3-year contract extension.

But she wasn’t the only Browns fan who cheered when hearing the news.

When GM Andrew Berry and Coach Kevin Stefanski took over the Browns in 2020, they talked about players who are “tough, smart, accountable.” The Browns have a lot of players who fit the description, but the 25-year-old Chubb should be at the front of the line.

On the field, he reminds me of Jim Brown.

This is not to say the 5-foot-11, 227-pounder will be among the greatest running backs of all-time. But there are several times each season when the bullish Chubb displays a combination of speed and strength ... well, it is something I haven’t seen in an orange helmet since Jim Brown.

When Chubb scores a touchdown, he hands the ball to the official. That also is reminiscent of Brown, who told young players, “act like you’ve been there before.”

Chubb has scored 30 TDs in his three years with the Browns. Yes, he’s been in the end zone before. My goodness, Chubb averaged a stunning 10 yards per carry in the fourth quarter last season!!! That’s not a misprint.

It’s also a testimony to how Stefanski took his two running backs – Kareem Hunt and Chubb – and balanced their carries so both were at their best when it meant the most in the final period of the game.

BOTH SIDES WANTED A DEAL

The three-year, $36.6 million extension is healthy, especially with $20 million fully guaranteed. Chubb could have pressed for something like Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey ($64 million, $36 million guaranteed) or Alvin Kamara’s $75 million ($34 million guaranteed) deal from New Orleans. Those numbers are from overthecap.com.

But the Browns could have stayed strictly with their analytics, which doesn’t like paying running backs more than $10 million a year. So both sides moved.

More importantly, both sides moved before the season opened. When a player has a chance to be an unrestricted free agent, the chances of keeping him dwindle as the season progresses. Instead, both sides did it now.

Chubb will play this season for $3.4 million on his original deal. Then the 3-year extension comes into play. That ties up Chubb for four seasons. Hunt is under contract for two more seasons for $12 million.

Recently, Hunt had this to say about Chubb: “Please Pay That Man!

They did just that.

THE BIG PLAN

The front office of Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta and GM Andrew Berry faced two major decisions on key players approaching free agency.

First was Myles Garrett in 2020. He signed a 5-year, $125 million extension before last season. Now, they also keep control of Chubb, who wanted to stay.

“I don’t like uncertainty, and I know here in Cleveland what I have with the players and coaches,’’ he said during minicamp. “This is the City of Cleveland, and I don’t know how things will be anywhere else. So Cleveland is where I want to be and that is my main focus – to be here in Cleveland.”

Sometimes, a player says that to the media. Then he tells his agent to make him the highest-paid player at his position. Not Chubb, who has rushed for 3,557 yards in his first three pro seasons, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

Chubb had major knee surgery when at Georgia. He also missed four games in 2020 with a MCL knee problem. This deal gives him some security at a position where running backs endure a fierce physical beating.

Thank former GM John Dorsey for taking Chubb in the second round of the 2018 draft, a pick which came from the Brock Osweiler deal the Browns made with Houston – a creative trade assembled by former GM Sashi Brown.

It was the disciples of Brown – DePodesta and Berry – who worked out the contract extension.

No wonder so many fans are screaming “Yay!” this morning.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08...erry-pluto.html

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Over the last couple of dull months football wise. NFL network replayed some Browns games.

Everytime I watch those replays. I am more and more impressed with Chubb.

He is so efficient with his movement. Nothing is wasted. His vision is excellent. He will one cut and explode. So, you think that is what he is a one cut runner.

Not the case at all. He makes moves all over the field.

He is way faster than you would think. When he hits the gas it seems like he can find an extra gear.

Love the Chubb.

Kareem is a perfect duo guy. Really a determined runner. Quick feet and good hands. He refuses to go down. Will just fight you for that one more yard.

I love the run game. When you can run it. You can take the heart out of the defense.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Love Chubb and think the Browns did a superb job signing him. He gets millions guaranteed and we get to see him run for at least 3 more years. A thought, we better not fall in love with every player- Teller is an example, just read he could be looking at making more money than Chubb as a top guard. Analytics guys, are they going to pay him top dollar, wonder what he wants vs what he'll take. Pancake blocks sure help runners, but making more money than the runner....I don't get it. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think the elite OL guys have longer careers than the RB guys ... That might be one factor. Plus you can plug a dime a dozen RB behind a good blocking line and get decent results. You have to have a truly elusive and special RB to consistently produce behind a dime a dozen run blocking line. Hopefully we have a great OL and two elite RBs .... Plus all the other great talent on O ...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we can all be confident they aren't going to handcuff themselves via salary cap. They've proven to be much savvier than that.

They also now have the leverage of having a legit team. Gone are the days where we were negotiating from a position of weakness due to previous season's record.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt we don't have to sign a Ross Verba to a big deal, creating a large cheer from the shores of Lake Erie.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I recognize Cleveland isn't poison anymore, I'm pleased we've got good/great coaches that can get subs up to speed- Teller, although ranked great, might walk because he won't get what he "deserves", glad we have young backups...no one is irreplaceable, heck, we lost our head coach for playoff game....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
J/c

This is excellent news and a good deal for the franchise. We’ve all known that we have some big contract decisions coming up, but signing Chubb was important.

Now we wait to see what happens with Baker, Teller, Ward, Harrison, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the name of the game now, in terms of paying players, is to reward the player, take care of the player, do them a solid without backing up the Brinks truck. There are ways to do this, but the main requirement is the player has to want to play ball.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I think the name of the game now, in terms of paying players, is to reward the player, take care of the player, do them a solid without backing up the Brinks truck. There are ways to do this, but the main requirement is the player has to want to play ball.

Just a cool tidbit, though all the specifics aren't revealed for obvious purposes, but for insurance purposes, Brinks trucks are usually limited to around $3 mil,so it would take about 10 trucks to back up.

I am sure it could be more since I would guess that Brinks is self insured to some degree. That would explain why they use heavily armored vehicles with 3 armed guards. The driver and carrier have sidearms on the hip. I am sure the person locked in the box has more at their disposal.

I would bet the two in the cab have more in there as well.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I'm curious, do you actually think paying a player you want to keep a reasonable price tag for where his talent ranks as "doing them a solid"?

The team wants to keep them. The team understands their importance to the roster. In the case of Chubb, he probably could have made more money elsewhere had he have chosen to hit the FA market at the end of next season. So who is really doing who a solid?

I consider it a mutual business arrangement and that nobody actually did anyone "a solid". Chubb wanted to stay here and the FO wanted to keep him. Win/win.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think timing it so that he hits the market again was 'doing him a solid'. Just a hunch of mine.

The main point behind that post, though was that there is more than 1 way to get top players to sign extensions.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get the feeling, barring some crazy injury or falling off a cliff production-wise, that both Hunt and Chubb will retire as browns.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I get the feeling, barring some crazy injury or falling off a cliff production-wise, that both Hunt and Chubb will retire as browns.

I don't know man. Hunt is going to want some money after what, next season? You can only invest so much money in the running backs.

I have a feeling that we will trade Hunt. Probably not this year, but if some teams top back gets hurt we will get calls and we will listen.

I don't know what it would take to try him away, but it wouldn't be for a mid round pick. A 3rd might get it done. Maybe a lower round pick the following year to sweeten things.

I think D'ernest and Felton would do just fine.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
You might be right, but I don't think Hunt wants to leave and he already took a discount to stay IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think he wants to stay as well. I am not all that sure he will take another discount. He really hasn't had that BIG contract. I am not sure, but I believe he was on his rookie deal when he ran in to trouble in KC.

He may, but I just see the numbers being a little to stiff to work in to the scheme of the team cap.

I hope he stays.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I think Hunt understands that what he did, he is lucky to play at all. Plus he is playing out a childhood dream. I couyld see him stay as long as the Browns want him.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Legend
Legend
B
I could see that too. I just don't think the Browns are going to want him because of the money issue.

***Reply to Steuben

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/04/21 08:19 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I also think he appreciates the Oline in front of him and how a great Oline couch is helping him here and that may not be the case if he goes somewhere else.

Joe Thomas #73
L
Legend
Legend
L
I loved that block Kareem made that gave Baker room to get the first down and clinch a playoff spot in Game 16. He was leading like a pulling guard. Pads crunching.

He might not retire as a Brown, but I’ll remember that for a long time.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Extend Nick Chubb

Link Copied to Clipboard