Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
The Ravens matchups are the ones I'm most looking forward to. BAL represents the bar CLE must clear before they can be considered top tier.

Out of obvious that the Browns have been tooled to play BAL straight-up. More speed on D (Lamar), and a pair of edge rushers who will give D coordinators nightmares.

Now, there's nothing left to it but to do it.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Agreed.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
there's nothing left to it but to do it.

QFT.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

ESPN gives Browns a 5 percent chance of winning Super Bowl

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
I'm not a big believer in taunting.. I think it's like what Jim Brown said about making TD's.. Act like you been there before.. And will be there again.

You just beat someone,, Shut up and go about your business..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Is 5% more or less than a gleam?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
How Bill Callahan molded a dominant O-line for the Browns

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...-for-the-browns

BEREA, Ohio — The Cleveland Browns offensive line is ranked No. 1 in the NFL by Pro Football Focus heading into the 2021 regular season. With the entire line—Joel Bitonio, Jack Conklin, Wyatt Teller, Jedrick Wills and JC Tretter—returning this season, there's good reason for high expectations.

But it's not just the talent of the offensive line to credit for last season's success and this season's promise, there's also the man who overhauled the line and shaped it into the dominant force that we see on the field.

'A huge resource' for the Browns

Bill Callahan was hired by the Browns in January 2020, shortly after the team hired head coach Kevin Stefanski.

The now 43-year coaching veteran came in as the team's new offensive line coach and brought with him a wealth of knowledge and experience across the board, including head coaching experience with Oakland, where he led the Raiders to a Super Bowl berth in 2003.

Heading into their second season with the Browns, Stefanski continues to credit Callahan for his impact on the team.

"His office is right next to mine, so he’s a huge resource to me, with him being a former head coach," Stefanski said. "He’s seen so much, so I just think the guy’s outstanding.”

The two are working together for the first time in their careers here in Cleveland, but they had a close connection with former Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress, and Stefanski has always admired Callahan's track record.

Callahan has been an offensive line coach for a combined 16 years with the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Football Team and now the Browns and has seen 12 of his linemen notch a total of 29 Pro Bowl selections.

That track record of success has continued in Cleveland with the Browns offensive line being the highest ranked last season.

'Tough, smart, accountable'

The Browns have operated under three guidelines since Stefanski and general manger Andrew Berry took the reins: "smart, tough and accountable both on and off the field."

Those descriptors also apply to Callahan's coaching method, with tough being the word many of his players use when asked to describe Callahan.

"He gets after us, which is at times frustrating, but it's good. That's what you want. He expects perfection, and good isn't good enough," said Browns right tackle Conklin.

That toughness is something his players have come to appreciate and respect, Stefanski said.

“I think coach Callahan has a way about him, that’s how he’s been coaching for years," Stefanski said. "I’ve heard the stories going way back to his college days. He coaches them hard, and he’s fair, and I think the guys respect that."

That holds true for Conklin.

"It definitely drives us and makes us better because it's not just, 'get the job done', it's, 'hey, you blocked him here but you could have done this and this and this and it would have made your job easier, it would have looked better,'" Conklin said. "Just having that every day, that accountability to him, and knowing that if you don't do it right he's going to get on you is great."

For Conklin, Callahan has tweaked things here and there, but mostly focused on tightening up the right tackle's sets and steps in the wide zone scheme, which Callahan said last season he was a "perfect" fit in their system.

"Just being more compact, keeping them more balanced up, and it's something I got better and better on last year as the year went through," Conklin said.

Last season, Conklin notched career-high PFF grades both overall (84.0) and in pass-blocking (81.5). This year, with Callahan's guidance, Conklin is hoping to replicate, or surpass, what he showed last season.

Support from surrounding staff

While the Browns struck gold landing Callahan as the offensive line coach, he's got some other talented coaches working alongside him with the offensive linemen.

Two staff members Stefanski has praised in addition to Callahan were assistant offensive line coach Scott Peters and recently hired offensive quality control coach Jonathan Decoster.

"Those guys, really, every period if you watch -- we may be in special teams, they’re over there working on something," Stefanski said. "And I think that’s just a great message to the veterans, the young guys, that you have to work on your craft, and I think we have two experts in that area to work with those guys."

With a knowledgeable and talented coaching staff around him, Callahan is able to work even closer with his players, getting one-on-one, hands-on technique work with his players.

"I mean, I’ve seen coach Callahan on his hands and knees getting the guys' three-point stance how he wants it," Stefanski said. "They’re certainly learning from some coaches I think have a ton to give them.”

Consecutive years of Callahan

Last season, Berry sung the praises of the o-line, and, specifically Callahan, for what he had been able to accomplish with the offensive line.

“I think that [the offensive line] has been outstanding. I can’t say this enough, but I would also like to throw in, in terms of additions, Bill Callahan, into that group. I can’t overstate his impact on that position group. It is going to be a part of our DNA. That is a group that we want to make sure is strong and deep for the long term because it really does set a foundation for your offense,” Berry said in November.

And for good reason. In 2020, the Browns offensive line ranked first in pass-blocking grade and second in run-blocking grade, according to PFF.

But just because the offensive line had a great outing last season doesn't mean the work Callahan puts in stops, especially now that the offense has been installed and the team works to reinforce the foundation in Year 2.

That's something right guard Wyatt Teller has taken away from the lessons of Callahan.

"That success was last year's success. We can't focus on that. We can't worry about that. We have to create our own success and create new success," Teller said ahead of training camp.

Teller said before camp that even when the players weren't at the voluntary OTAs, they were working out together and running through Callahan's drills and meeting every day.

Callahan's coaching style may be tough, but it's been one that has helped to create a dominant offensive line, which in turn has helped the rest of the Browns offense thrive, something they hope to continue come Sept. 12 when they open their season against the Kansas City Chiefs.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Landry gets flagged now if he even looks at the opponent... but he made his own bed. Hopefully he gets the memo.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FATE
Landry gets flagged now if he even looks at the opponent... but he made his own bed. Hopefully he gets the memo.

Jarvis was the first player that came to mind when I heard the league was putting an emphasis on taunting. He's got to reign it in. Can't hurt the team with BS.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm really happy for James Hudson to have the opportunity to develop under Callahan's coaching. The talent is there. Now he gets coached up by the best.

Go Toledo!, Go Browns!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds like Callahan is trying to pass the torch to his assistants. Good deal. The circle of life in full view.

I wonder who passed the torch to Callahan? That would be a good question for a reporter to ask.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
The Ravens matchups are the ones I'm most looking forward to. BAL represents the bar CLE must clear before they can be considered top tier.

Out of obvious that the Browns have been tooled to play BAL straight-up. More speed on D (Lamar), and a pair of edge rushers who will give D coordinators nightmares.

Now, there's nothing left to it but to do it.

I agree to a point, Baltimore is a mind set for this team.

IMO we have them on talent alone, the problem in beating them lies in the belief we can do it.

Like we seemingly have put Pitt behind us I believe we will do the same with Baltimore. That doesn't make it so but man it sure is going to be very interesting to see how we handle Baltimore this year with back to back games coming late in the season.

Lamar IMO is a gifted runner what we need to do is make him be a QB which he truly isn't that good at. As much as the talking heads focus on Bake they never really talk much about Jackson the QB -vs- Jackson the runner.

I wouldn't give Jackson a big long term contract based on how he grades out as a QB. Once his ability to run begins to decline Baltimore will need to move on from him quickly but you can't if you offer him a long term deal. For that reason I hope they make the foolish mistake of offering him a long term deal thus handicapping their franchise for years to come much like they did with Flaco. I would franchise him in fact I may pay more in the short term but it would allow me to quickly move on from him. It's not like after Jackson can fall back on being just a QB, he is one good hit away from the scrap heap. Runners don't last long we all know that. Baltimore by their off season moves is going to try to make him a QB but it won't happen is my guess.

That said the Browns have improved their team speed to deal with Jackson but also KC as well. When teams have great speed at skill positions they present a challenge that isn't easy to compensate for. Jackson is in for a long day when he faces us.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know about that. Jackson is pretty smart in the way he runs the ball.

The game is different. Years ago I recall people getting on Franco Harris for running out of bounds rather than lowering the shoulder and trying to gain that last yard or two.

Smart football in my opinion. People don't usually get hurt when running in the open, it happens trying for that last yard or two.

Jackson knows when to duck for cover.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh they all are until they aren't and get squared up and laid into real well.

His day will come like it always does.

He is a runner make him a QB and own him.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Call him a QB or call him a runner. Does it really make much difference as long as he's winning games? And that's really the only thing we have to deal with. Beating him. As long as they are winning the division I really don't care what you call him. His leading his team to wins. That's what we have to stop.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That was what I was talking about when I said make him be a QB.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

I think your idea of being a QB isn't keeping up with the times to some degree.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
If Malik Mcdowell, and Takk McKinley are both unavailable when needed, that is a Major Blow to the Browns Super Bowl Chances!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh they all are until they aren't and get squared up and laid into real well.

His day will come like it always does.

He is a runner make him a QB and own him.
IMO, if this was the case we would've seen it already. Guys don't usually get 'less smart' in terms of protecting themselves when they're running the ball.

Last edited by oobernoober; 08/11/21 09:41 AM. Reason: repeated myself

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think he was referring to Lamar's tendency to look very human when he has to play from behind, is contained in the pocket, and is forced to look outside the hashes to complete passes.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think your idea of being a QB isn't keeping up with the times to some degree.

Oh I get that Jackson has shown that a QB who can run is a different way to get the job done, what he hasn't shown and really the history of the position has shown is that running QB's can last long if they are runners.

I would rather have Tom Brady then Jackson or Payton or a bunch of other guys then I would ever want a player like Jackson. It's nice if you have a guy who can move well enough to get it done when everything else fails but if that is all they are leaning on you're banking he won't get hurt and I think that is a bad bet.

Everyone gets to see it how they want and time certainly will tell but I view Jackson as a outlander more then I do the new QB style. He won't last long by comparison to well anyone. And the history of the position and running QB's just don't hold up long enough to warrant the investment but that IMHO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
So you use the GOAT as your example? Not to mention running QB's started to come in to play well in to Bradys career.

If you look at the QB's entering the league the last 5-10 years, fewer and fewer are "statue" QB's.

In the end it's not a conversation worth carrying forward because there are different ways to play the position, so you can have the last word.

All's good.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Name a QB that has had a sustained measure of success, who was a runner in whatever era you want? They simply don't last. The argument that things have changed again is well silly outside of Jackson who is it that is lighting it up that is a runner?

Your being silly and worse I suspect you don't realize it!

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not many qbs ran in the past. Greg Landry, but he was a journeyman unless you go back to single wing days, but that doesn't count because they didn't pass the ball much..

We will see how it goes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I don't understand why the league feels the need to "emphasize" different rules every year. Why be strict on one rule one season and on something else each year? Why not just figure out how you want the game to be played and call the game consistently every season?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Russell Wilson and Steve Young.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
I don't understand why the league feels the need to "emphasize" different rules every year. Why be strict on one rule one season and on something else each year? Why not just figure out how you want the game to be played and call the game consistently every season?

I think that the rulebook could be significantly reduced without hurting the game. Eliminate motion penalties. Keep the off-sides rules, but make everything else legal. Make every one a legal receiver, and eliminate the rule that requires the Tackles to be covered up on the LOS. Allow holding. It is so inconsistently enforced now anyway. Take away the ability of officials to determine outcomes of games by their calls, or lack thereof.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Name a QB that has had a sustained measure of success, who was a runner in whatever era you want? They simply don't last. The argument that things have changed again is well silly outside of Jackson who is it that is lighting it up that is a runner?

Some of these were great passers too:
Warren Moon
Randall Cunningham
Michael Vick
Steve Young
Bernie Kosar (I’m kidding)

But It’s hard to say pick an era, because the game has changed so much since the induction of football. The game was primary a ground attack back in the day.
One thing to take into account, the game in early 2000s and before, you could basically tee off on the QB. That’s counting in the pocket or even on a QB slide on a scramble. Big hits….heck even body slamming the QB at one point was considered the manly thing.

There are so many rules in place now to protect the QB from taking so many extra hits. This does extend the shelf-life of the QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
One thing I think is important to add to your post. Once a QB tucks that ball away and starts to run, all those rules "protecting the QB" no longer exist. He is at that point considered a runner like everyone else who runs with the ball.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Honest question...

If a RB were to give himself up and slide like QBs do at the end of runs, would they be given the same protections as QBs? Generally, if a defender hits a QB that has started his slide it's a hefty penalty (15 yards?).

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand your point about the slide, but on the run he's just like anyone else.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One thing I wanted to add. The game is really evolving now (I mean it has for the past so many years).

Why is that…because of:
1. College game changing how they use QBs
2. technology/analytics
3. Satellite camps/football training complexes
On number 3, kids at a young age can get one on one focused training through these places. So when we were kids our teaching might have only came from our hs coaches.

Heck, I just read an article on AJ Harris a top high school CB recruit. The kid trains at a sports complex in Columbus, GA with other top athletes. When he was 15 years old, in training classes he was guarding J.D. McKissic (NFL running back) and other top college players. Think about being 15 years old and guarding current college and NFL players during that same period of time.

My point being most of these QBs are getting one on one training before even college.

Think about all the athletic QBs now, Russsel, Patrick M, Kyler, and etc….and even the newly drafted group: Trevor, Trey, Fields

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
One thing I think is important to add to your post. Once a QB tucks that ball away and starts to run, all those rules "protecting the QB" no longer exist. He is at that point considered a runner like everyone else who runs with the ball.

Agreed. But you could get away with getting an extra hit the QB while he’s sliding. Nowadays, that flag comes out instantly for personal foul

Edit: my apologies for not being clear, that is what I meant about the scramble.

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 08/11/21 01:37 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm really not trying to make a point. It really was an honest question. I don't know how the refs would treat a RB (other than laughing at him) if he did that.

Regardless, the original argument was about Lamar. My understanding of the earlier poster's point about 'making Lamar play QB' is that as invincible as Lamar can look at times, he can suddenly look very very mediocre when you force him to play a more in a more traditional QB role (contain the run game (the RBs and him), don't let him play with a lead, and don't give him easy throws over the middle).

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm really not trying to make a point. It really was an honest question. I don't know how the refs would treat a RB (other than laughing at him) if he did that.

Regardless, the original argument was about Lamar. My understanding of the earlier poster's point about 'making Lamar play QB' is that as invincible as Lamar can look at times, he can suddenly look very very mediocre when you force him to play a more in a more traditional QB role (contain the run game (the RBs and him), don't let him play with a lead, and don't give him easy throws over the middle).

He isn't even good when you do that to him he stinks. Once the wheels are gone Jackson will be gone too.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
I just felt you actually did make a point considering the way I had worded my post. As to what you are addressing. I think if you place any QB in a role where he has to play late in a game from behind it forces him to make plays he doesn't want to, and otherwise wouldn't if the circumstances were different.

There are some, but very few that shine in the case of such adversity. But by and large it forces them into mistakes. I don't think this is a "Lamar specific" situation.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I just felt you actually did make a point ....

Well how 'bout that!? :: pats self on back ::

Obviously opposition wants to capitalize on weaknesses of opposing QBs, but Lamar is a something more, in this regard (IMO). It seems to be more of an ongoing limitation to his game vs just a weakness to try to pick at.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

It is all about the odds. The more times you
carry the ball; the odds increase.

Ask Dak.

In the pocket the rules have been made to protect the quarterback.

Once they become a runner they become a target.

This is a big year for Lamar just like Baker. Lamar is a problem as a open field runner. Not so much as a pocket passer. The time comes when you have to bring a team back late. He has not done that in the playoffs.

They invested in receivers. They will try to be more balanced on offense.

In may or may not work.

If the Browns play their game they can beat any team in the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

It is all about the odds. The more times you
carry the ball; the odds increase.

Ask Dak.

In the pocket the rules have been made to protect the quarterback.

Once they become a runner they become a target.

This is a big year for Lamar just like Baker. Lamar is a problem as a open field runner. Not so much as a pocket passer. The time comes when you have to bring a team back late. He has not done that in the playoffs.

They invested in receivers. They will try to be more balanced on offense.

In may or may not work.

If the Browns play their game they can beat any team in the NFL.

I have seen enough of Lamar so I truly respect his ability to move the chains and run like his hair is on fire, but as a QB he truly does stink..

For the reason that he is a running QB I would NOT sign him to a long term contract I would franchise him when his current deal runs out at best his shelf life will have expired by then is my guess.

I am aware of their attempt to mold him into a QB, who knows but short of him making that huge leap no to a long term deal for me if I was the Ravens. Two things that don't last long, dogs that chase cars and QB's that run a lot.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard