Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: hitt
Parkey had the weaker leg, yet he made lot of kicks last year. Time will tell who our kicker is. Interaction between holder and kicker would seem McLaughlin has a leg up....Go Browns!!!

He as been kicking well. I am not all that worried bout it because had he not, we would have already brought in someone else.

People wanted to replace Parkey. Now they aren't sure.

Poor kickers. Nobody like them until they have been on the team 4-5 years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
McLaughlin or BUST

Which kicker was the better?
I didn't get a chance to see much of the preseason games, Saturday's are busy around here for me so really don't know if this is a drop off in talent or not.

Seems like they were pretty equal this pre season.. Parkey was the weaker leg on long kicks.. But last year he handled pressure pretty well.. It remains to be seen if McLaughlin can handle game time pressure...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Parkey isn't a poor kicker. He is just average though. I would love to have a top tier K.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Jester
Parkey isn't a poor kicker. He is just average though. I would love to have a top tier K.

So would everybody. Parkeys leg might get stronger like Dawsons did.

That said, if McGlaughlin kicks well, we won't go back to Parkey.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
A bad kicker can really kill a team, so there's some value in 'only' having an average kicker.

But that shouldn't hold us back from pursuing a great kicker (obvious, I know...). Who wouldn't want somebody like the dude the Ravens have?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As long as he quits the local chicken commercials I'd take Tucker. tongue

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Rule #1. Don't drop the bar on your forehead!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Too bad Phil Dawson was born a generation too early, eh?

I think about him kicking for this particular team, and my head swims.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Parkey hurt a quad, and was moved to IR about 4 days ago, and being on IR and not using one of the 80 roster spots, he's out for the year, in Browns consideration, unless:
Unless he rejoins the Browns roster before they cut to their initial 53,
OR: He clears waivers before returning from IR.

Do I understand that wrong? ^

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Parkey hurt a quad, and was moved to IR about 4 days ago, and being on IR and not using one of the 80 roster spots, he's out for the year, in Browns consideration, unless:

We released Parody today so when he is healthy he is free to sign wherever he wants, including us.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

We released Parody today so when he is healthy he is free to sign wherever he wants, including us.

Not sure about that..

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/24/browns-release-cody-parkey-from-injured-reserve/

PFT is saying:

The Browns have released Cody Parkey from injured reserve. That will allow him to kick for another team once his quadriceps is healed.

Parkey was injured in Sunday’s exhibition game against the Giants and landed on injured reserve Tuesday before receiving his release. He cannot return to the Browns this season.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the correction. I was going off of what Bull said on the radio.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not meaning to correct.. I'm not sure what IS correct..

Whats the rule here?

First put on IR
2nd, Released from IR..

I'm thinking the date he was put on IR then released means he cannot return to CLE?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I admit to being confused by the whole process, so with that confession out of the way... If what you report, (not saying you are verifying its accuracy) is true then it's odd to me that if he recovers before the end of the season anyone can sign him EXCEPT the Browns. Based on him being released and becoming a free agent.

B
Legend
Legend
B
JC

Time to forget Parkey. I am one who stuck up for the guy to some degree. I wasn't one who thought the guy sucked like many seemingly felt.

It's not he was a pro bowl kicker. McGlaughlin is our guy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Name a QB that has had a sustained measure of success, who was a runner in whatever era you want? They simply don't last.

Archie Manning and Fran Tarkenton ran for their lives, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Lol. Yeah they did. Steve Young was a great running quarterback back and so was Elway. He could be looking for them.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 08/25/21 09:05 AM.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Michael Vick

Legend
Legend
Browns Sign LB Tegray Scales
Wednesday, the Cleveland Browns announced the signing of free agent linebacker Tegray Scales, which brings their roster back to 80.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-sign-tegray-scales

The Cleveland Browns announced the signing of free agent linebacker Tegray Scales on Wednesday, taking the roster spot from corner Robert Jackson, who was waived on Tuesday. The team also announced the release of kicker Cody Parkey from injured reserve.

Scales was an incredibly productive linebacker for the Indiana Hoosiers in college, coming out after the 2018 season. He appeared in four games with the Pittsburgh Steelers during the 2020 season.

Scales is a hair over 6' and around the 230 pound mark. The Browns need another linebacker just to get through their final preseason game and practices this week.

Montrel Meander suffered a ruptured Achilles' against the New York Giants, which landed him on injured reserve. Jacob Phillips tore a bicep in joint practices. He seemingly will be out for the year but has not yet been designated as such. Rookie fifth round pick Tony Fields is still dealing with a foot injury and Sione Takitaki is recovering from an elbow injury.

The Browns also still have Willie Harvey, Mack Wilson, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Elijah Lee.

The Browns have been extremely conservative in terms of playing entrenched starters in the preseason and their approach against the Atlanta Falcons is unlikely to change. They might play even fewer players at this point as they start to prepare for the Kansas City Chiefs in week one of the season.

Scales could effectively be auditioning for the Browns practice squad after roster cut downs next week.

Cody Parkey suffered a quad injury against the Giants. The team initially placed him on injured reserve. It would seem that Parkey and his agent feel he will be healthy enough to play this season, so they negotiated his release from injured reserve.

The Browns still have Chase McLaughlin and with the roster now at 80, he is their lone kicker and appears to be preparing to be the team's kicker this year.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Browns wide receiver Davion Davis suspended for the first two games of 2021 season

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brown...of-2021-season/

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's too bad. He was having a strong TC.

In other news...

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
I saw the 1999 Browns games, the Browns with Head Coach Chris Palmer
Pressured the quarterbacks of other teams with blitzes that came from everywhere,
Corners
Safeties
Linebackers, everybody

MORE, than any year since.

I think the Browns have more talent this year than any defense in the past,
Wouldn't it be Something, to see what Chris Palmer could do with it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
If The Seahawks waived Pierre Desir Cornerback.

He's got to better than Greedy Williams or AJ Green as Cornerback #4.

The Browns should put in a waiver claim or get on the phone, there are better cornerbacks out there!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I saw the 1999 Browns games, the Browns with Head Coach Chris Palmer
Pressured the quarterbacks of other teams with blitzes that came from everywhere,
Corners
Safeties
Linebackers, everybody

MORE, than any year since.

I think the Browns have more talent this year than any defense in the past,
Wouldn't it be Something, to see what Chris Palmer could do with it.

What was Chris Palmers record? No,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
2 Games better than Hue Jackson had in Jacksons' 2nd year as Browns coach.

at 2-14 the 1999 Browns had equaled the worst record in franchise history, iirc. but it took a few years before another would come along and break the franchises' worst record, and then break it again.

In Palmers 2nd year, 2000 the team went 3-13 iirc.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's a Kyle Markway???

Legend
Legend
As Odell Beckham Jr. ramps up practice work, Alex Van Pelt stresses importance of side reps with Baker Mayfield

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/08/26/as...baker-mayfield/

BEREA — Odell Beckham Jr. arrived at training camp in phenomenal shape, looking fit, fast and explosive less than 10 months after surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

After nearly a month of individual drills and work on the side with quarterback Baker Mayfield, the superstar receiver took his first seven-on-seven repetitions Wednesday, catching a pass from Baker Mayfield.

He added five seven-on-seven reps Thursday, catching a short out against rookie cornerback Greg Newsome II, and added five 11-on-11 reps. The ball didn’t come to him but he ran a go route to clear out the zone and blocked run the run.

All with the goal of being ready Week 1 in Kansas City on Sept. 12.

The coaches refuse to get ahead of themselves and go there. At least publicly.

Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt on Thursday followed coach Kevin Stefanski’s lead.

“I hope so. We’re all hoping for that,” Van Pelt said before practice. “I’m not sure where that’s going right now, but he looks really good, he’s running well, he’s coming in and out of his breaks, he’s cutting well. Hopefully we can get him up there for the opener.”

Beckham hasn’t talked to the media since training camp started July 28. But he told reporters July 25 at his youth football camp he wouldn’t push his return.

“Whenever the team, the docs, my team, everything gets cleared, we’ll be ready to go,” he said. “So whenever that is, Week 1, Week 17, I don’t know. Whenever we’re ready we’ll be ready.”

He sure looks ready, and there have been encouraging signs the last three days. He jumped into a team drill for the final rep — a running play — on Tuesday, did a couple of reps in seven-on-sevens Wednesday and continued the progression Thursday.

Until this week, Beckham’s practice work had been limited to receiver drills, throwing with Mayfield during special teams and extra running and agility work.

“That’s huge,” Van Pelt said of the throwing with Mayfield. “The biggest thing is just consistency. Consistency in route depth, consistency in route-running techniques. Once the quarterback has that vision of what that looks like, then he can play faster and anticipate getting the ball out quicker because he knows exactly what’s going to happen.

“Obviously it ramps up when you’re in a team setting, but you’ve put all those reps in, at practice that muscle memory takes over and hopefully you come out on the same page.”

The coaches scripted a series of plays for Mayfield and Beckham to run through during special teams drills. That helps Beckham’s conditioning and the timing the duo worked on during offseason workouts in Texas.

After practice Thursday, Beckham broke down the day with receivers coach/pass game coordinator Chad O’Shea and Mayfield.

“They’re in a really good place right now as far as their mind space, all the work they did in the offseason, spending time together, just continuing to build that bond,” Van Pelt said of Mayfield and Beckham. “And hopefully that will show this year on the field.”

He’s been most impressed with how Beckham has worked “his butt off.”

“Always his work ethic, his ability to go out and just do anything you ask him to do,” Van Pelt said. “We stressed him on it last week with some of those series drives and he responds. The guy will just do anything you ask for him and he wants to be great and he works at it. All those guys that are great players, they all have that work ethic and he does.”

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I wouldn't be in a hurry to extend Ward.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Quality guy, quality player,, but damn, he can't stay healthy. Take the health issue out of the equation and he's a must sign

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
nfl news

NFL Forces Patriots and Rams to revise the terms of the Sony Michel Trade because it violates league rules.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-f...-had-to-change/

What they did wrong?
The Trade included a 4th round supplemental pick being traded on the condition of if the Rams were awarded one.

The illegal to rules was putting conditons on a trade involving a supplemental pick.

The solution was the Pats and Rams agreed the Rams would get the Rams actual 4th round pick.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

The solution was the Pats and Rams agreed the Rams would get the Rams actual 4th round pick.

We talk about our GM being smart. The Rams talked the Pats into a Bugs Bunny - Daffy Duck: Duck season/Rabbit season conversation by having the Rams trade a 4th to the Rams. tongue

L
Legend
Legend
L

Agree. I’d let the season play out, see where we’re at with our CBs six months from now.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Agree. I’d let the season play out, see where we’re at with our CBs six months from now.
my thoughts as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Quality guy, quality player,, but damn, he can't stay healthy. Take the health issue out of the equation and he's a must sign

I understand this position on Ward. But if I'm writing checks, I sign him. I might want to structure the deal to contain some incentives for availability but that is the extent I go to address that issue.

He is clearly our best cover corner. And his coverage ability is among the best in the league. All of the outside corners who we'll be relying on have some injury history, including the rookie. If the team were not to retain him what would be the alternative? You are not going to low-ball him because 1, his injuries have been sustained in the course of giving pro-bowl level effort 2, it reflects badly on the organization to under pay one of its best players and that has implications for team culture and free agent perceptions.

Wasn't Chubb injured and out for multiple games in two differernt seasons? I think. What's the difference?

Last edited by guard dawg; 08/27/21 07:52 AM.
Legend
Legend

Berry and staff know the value of the cornerback position. They have brought in a bunch of players. Joe Woods came from that position group.

Newsome has already been impressive. Greedy is making strides. They brought in Hill. Green has played well. Brian Allen and MJ Stewart have contributed.

Ward is an excellent corner. I am sure the Browns are prepared to make him a good offer. Will it be the most he can get? Maybe not.

If he stays? Great. If he leaves for a bigger deal. Berry will adjust.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Berry is writing the MODERN book on talent acquisition IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the key here is actually Greedy. Newsome seems to be coming along really well. He'll take his lumps this year like every rookie DB does, but early indicators are that he's the real deal. There still seems to be a fog of uncertainty around Greedy. If he can finally emerge out of the shadow of last season, then we have 2 standout CBs before we consider Ward.

edit: Plus Hill

Last edited by oobernoober; 08/27/21 08:12 AM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard