#1880968 09/06/21 09:06 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
How will we approach this?

I’m not an X n O guy like many on here, but here’s what I would do on offence:
the same things we did to pile up wins last year.

1.) run the best RB tandem in football behind the best OL in football.
2. Use Bake in play action and let him find the open guy.
3. Watch our playmakers score TDs.

On D: we might not be as in synch next Sunday as we hope to be later in the season, but we’ve upgraded our backend and hopefully, that’ll help our biggest unknown: the interior DL.

IF Kansas City isn’t sharp with their OL, we’ll feast on that like lions on raw meat.

I think we should double Tyreek, put our best cover corner on their second-biggest WR threat, and let JOK do the heavy lifting when it comes to minimizing Kelce’s impact.

What are your thoughts on how we can win the opener for the first time since 2004?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I'd rather have JJ3 covering Kelce than a rookie in his very first game.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Run.the ball control. Keep the ball as much as you can out of the Cheifs offense

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
I'd rather have JJ3 covering Kelce than a rookie in his very first game.
put JOK on him until it doesnt work. Then go to plan B

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who's going to cover Hill?

Legend
Legend
We’re going to have to score 40 points IMO. It’s futile to bank on the defense to stop them when they are at full force.

Whatever it takes to exploit their defense

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
It’s futile to bank on the defense to stop them when they are at full force.

Not this year

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
It's all a pretty tall order.

In our last game, offensively we couldn't get much going against them. Defensively, we couldn't really stop them until Mahomes knocked himself out of the game. Even then, we STILL couldn't stop them from giving Chad Freakin Henne a 75% completion rate and salting away the game.

So, yes, our roster is much better defensively, but we really aren't any different at all on offense. We know a bit more, we have an idea of the things we were able to get some success with, but they know this, too.

Flat out, we cannot win this game on offense. If we're going to win, this newly remodeled defense is going to have to light the way.

As much as I want us to win, the more I think about it the more I feel it is likely we lose this opener, but will be well primed to beat them when we meet again in the play-offs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
IF.... IF ... the defense can SLOW them down so we don't have to become an unbalanced offense and we can keep running the ball, then we can beat them. The defense doesn't have to shut them down; they just need to make them mortal; make them struggle as much as our offense does.

Chubb and Hunt each averaged over 5 yds per carry, yet we ran it less than 20 times and barely cracked 100 yds total between them, while we threw the ball almost exactly twice as many times. If we can keep the KC offense slowed to where they aren't executing drives at will like we aren't even out there, then we can stay balanced and wear them down over the long haul.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Another thing that stands out massively from the last game:

Jarvis Landry had SEVEN catches.... for 20 yards.
That cannot happen again. He is our #2 WR; he CANNOT average less than 3 yds per reception. I haven't gone back to rewatch the game, so I can't comment on the How and Why of this, but he simply cannot have so many dink & dunk catches. Nobody can. We cannot dink and dunk; we need to actually beat their secondary.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the key to our defense will be how many 'big' plays they can manage (sack/TFL, 3rd down stands, and obviously turnovers). I don't see our defense slowing them down as much as accumulating enough impact plays.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think those expecting this defense to come out week one firing on all cylinders may be in for a disappointment. Not that I don't expect some improvement over last year, but I think later in the season the defense will have time to gel as units, ie... the DL, LB'ers and secondary.

While JOK is a very talented kid, expecting a rookie to come out game one and cover a savvy veteran like Kelce is asking for trouble. I agree with OrangeCrush that JJ3 would be the better option. JOK would be plan B.

While it's true you can use the run to set up the pass, you can also use the pass to set up the run. It works both ways. When we played KC last year we rushed the ball 22 times and passed the ball 37 times as an example. I agree with Dawgs4Life that it will be a high scoring game. I think Stefanski is aware of that and we will be throwing the ball early more than some seem to expect. To beat them we will have to do one of two things. Get out to an early lead and maintain that lead or keep scoring to stay close throughout the game. If we are close in the fourth quarter anything can happen.

On defense I think we will have to go one on one with their WR's on the edge. Their OL is suspect and I think if we know that, they know that. As such I think they will concentrate on Hill running short routes over the middle and 8-12 yard passes to Kelce to combat pressure. So by having one on one coverage on the edges it will allow for more bodies up close to cover their short passing game.

How much we run the ball will be dictated by the scoreboard and our ability to stop them from scoring. We won't be running the ball a lot of it turns into a shoot out. That's not how you keep up with your opponents while they're scoring 35-45 points. If you get a decent lead and your defense is doing well, you can use your running game to protect that lead.

Stefanski is a smart coach. As such, his game plan will evolve based on circumstances. Being stubborn and refusing to adjust your game plan based on what is happening while the game is in play is a recipe for disaster.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I'm not an X&O guy either, but I would have a general strategy...

On defense would be to primarily playing off coverage and rushing only 4. This will give them several TD drives built on 10 & 20 yard plays, but the hope would be that you would get some sacks or PBUs at key times to end a several drives. This capitalizes on what is otherwise a weakness. Our guys haven't played together, so instead of relying on our defensive cohesion to choke the opposing offense out, you flood the back 7 with great individuals and let the talent of JJ3, Ward, JOK and Newsome win out in bracketed matchups of Kelce & Hill. Let the DL talent do the same. Maybe this way you stop them from scoring on 6/12 drives, and turn 3/6 of their scoring drives into FGs instead of TDs. That limits them to 30 points.

On offense, I'd run a lot, but get creative with those wide zones if possible. And use PA, but not a lot of naked bootlegs. I think they'll be looking for that. Then I might mix in a series or two with unexpected personnel where you go tempo. 23, 22, 20, 01, 00 personnel. Just show them something they haven't seen and don't give them a chance to sub. Also, design those pass plays as quick reads/decisions. Probably would do this in a "plus" spot, where we've come off a successful previous drive running our normal offense. I think out of 12 drives, maybe this way we can score 6/12 right along with them, and if we're lucky, score 4 TDs/2FGs for 34 points.

Lots of other variables will come into play, and adjustments should be made, but those would be my plans to start.

Browns fans are born with it...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I remember wishing that we had kept running the ball during the game last year. There was one drive when we were coming back where we ran it a ton, and it was effective. I hope we can still stick with the run this game. KC's offense makes it very difficult for other teams to do that, though.

On defense, I don't want to blitz Mahomes because he loves that. We have to make sure we can get pressure with 4. That's what TB did and it obviously worked.

On the back end, hopefully we could develop a scheme similar to what the Patriots did. It was a lot of people in disguised coverage which didn't readily give Mahomes that easy 1-on-1 matchup to look for. Easier said than done obviously.

The other part that scares me is that Andy Reid is obviously a prolific offensive mind, and he's had all offseason to prepare for this game.

Not feeling great about this one, but we'll see.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
We have to make sure we can get pressure with 4.

I think we will get pressure with 3 wink

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
We have to make sure we can get pressure with 4.

I think we will get pressure with 3 wink

With the DLine we're capably of trotting out there, and them having three rookies on their OLine, it certainly bodes in our favor that we may be able to dictate that they start going more two-TE/Jumbo in order to keep an extra blocker in. If we can do that with just four, that certainly helps our secondary a LOT because it's at least one less guy out in a route. Our LBers need to be ready for the chip screens, though or they will just eat us up in the area our DLine just vacated.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't let Chad Henne beat us with his legs.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Tampa Bay D, didn't let Mahomes escape to the sides, and in an effort to make a play, Mahomes just kept going backwards. Tampa was disciplined and maintained lanes more-so than trying to get the sack.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
Tampa Bay D, didn't let Mahomes escape to the sides, and in an effort to make a play, Mahomes just kept going backwards. Tampa was disciplined and maintained lanes more-so than trying to get the sack.

This 100. Maybe easier said than done, but it was definitely "the formula".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's a very similar formula to beating the Ravens, too. That gap discipline is so key.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The keys.. don't make big mistakes, don't turn the ball over.. hope to have the ball at the end and a chance to win...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

I guess they will put Ward on Hill SuperBrown.

Legend
Legend

I guess they will put Ward on Hill SuperBrown.

or, we'll put Hill on Hill, since Hill is really a slot WR and Hill is a slot CB.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope Hill is fast. Tyreeeek will be screaming down the sidelines.

We must get pressure on Pattycakes.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Tampa Bay tried to cover Hill one on one in week 12. Hill went for 203 yards in the first quarter. Now they didn't have Ward but I'm not sure I'd risk it.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I think many are overlooking the fact that they are starting rookies on the Oline. I guess only our new Olineman need to gel. Offensive lines are crucial, and when you have one that is refurbished, they will struggle. I don't see KC being as explosive as they were last year, at least not out of the gate.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
O
Legend
Legend
O
Taking out Mahomes almost worked last time... just saying. wink

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't agree with being unable to beat them with offense. The past is the past the future is next.
The Browns didn't have Odell Beckham, Anthony Schwartz, or Demetric Felton the last time these two teams played.

A lot of things can happen.
Maybe Tony Fields II is really good and they've just been hiding him.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Man I sure am biased no question but the reality is that this game is going to come down to the new look Browns Defensive line against the new look KC O Line.

Here is what I think, and by no means does this make me right 1000% but the Browns defensive line is truly good we don't have rookies manning key positions and pass rushers aren't reliant on scheme, it's head down and go.

With Garret on one side and Clowney on the other your talking one of the BEST defensive lines in the NLF regardless of how poor the middle is. These 2 are going to generate pressure, when you throw in McDowell who was the rage of the pre-season and Jackson your talking studs across the board. Jackson and McDowell are maulers they are going to get after it and bring some serious pressure up the middle.

Then lets look at the Chiefs new look O line, 5 count them 5 new starters 3 of which are rookies. So often we see matchups and salivate but this is a matchup that under any circumstance favors the Browns there just isn't a doubt.

That all said for sure Andy Reid is staying up late figuring out how to negate the Browns overwhelming advantage in this game. I think they are going to try to roll out PM otherwise he will be a sitting target.

They are bound to run a ton of crossing routes with Hill and Kelso that is a given, they are going to have to play small ball or the Browns D Line will swallow PM whole.

No question Hill and Kelso are monsters and they will no matter how bad the circumstance present a huge challenge to any backend and I think that will continue but the field got a lot smaller for the Chief who live on huge chunk plays, playing small ball isn't really what they do, not that they can't.

But given the monstrous advantage the Browns have in this game, I just don't see the Chiefs grinding out 12 play drives their just not that kind of team nor do I see the Browns being the type of team your going to consistently be able to do that. Somewhere in the process of trying to execute play after play the Browns are going to sack your QB, or come up with a turnover on the backend all brought about by the increased team speed the Browns will have on display and the pressure that PM most certainly be under in this game.

This game won't even be close if all things are equal the Browns should dominate the Chief. Maybe I am talking myself into this but this time I really don't think so???????

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Another issue I’m worried about:

Last year our WRs simply could not get open. The Chiefs were jamming us and daring us to go over the top and we couldn’t. Now, maybe OBJ helps us in this area … or maybe we can have a better scheme after an offseason to look at it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Last year our WRs simply could not get open. The Chiefs were jamming us and daring us to go over the top and we couldn’t. Now, maybe OBJ helps us in this area … or maybe we can have a better scheme after an offseason to look at it

Great point here and that is why you need someone like OBJ or Swartz so the Chiefs are forced to defend at every level. This game is going to be quite a bit different because OBJ is on the field.

Oh and they call what the Chiefs ran at us last year man press coverage. I would love for them to give it a second try.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

Great point here and that is why you need someone like OBJ or Swartz so the Chiefs are forced to defend at every level. This game is going to be quite a bit different because OBJ is on the field.

Oh and they call what the Chiefs ran at us last year man press coverage. I would love for them to give it a second try.
I hope OBJ’s presence changes the stuff we can (and they can’t) do. I also recall them taking away our bootleg game pretty substantially. Hopefully we can find some counters to it

L
Legend
Legend
L
Man alot of hype from everyone including the media saying the browns are built to beat the chiefs etc.. I hate that kind of talk, you know the chiefs are hearing all that. Simply I'm not sure our defense will be up to the task simply because they have zero time together.. It takes time to know where everyone has to be on helps and whos covering what zone etc. This is a quick strike offense and they aren't interested in 12 play drives and they surely don't need them.. This is a chunk offense. Our secondary should be better but middle of our line and linebackers aren't really an upgrade. Andy Reid will exploit that. I think people are putting too much hope on JOK and Walker, JOK has to prove his size isn't going to be exploitable at that level and Walker isn't that good, He may be a better leader than goodson but he's not a better player, he was ranked 69 out of 72 last year.. Our best defense against these guys is in our ability to grind out 12 play scoring drives limiting KC's offense time on the field. I truly believe that will be our game plan. I think everyone on this offense will take a step forward this year and we will see an offense better than anytime in recent memory. Beating the chiefs is going to come down to two things, Getting to PM and establishing the run and PA and use as much clock as we can. If we have to rely on our defense to defend the pass and PH gets time to throw, it could get ugly, but I don't see anything in the chiefs defense that worries me that we can't move the ball on them, especially if Mathieu is out

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Man I sure am biased no question but the reality is that this game is going to come down to the new look Browns Defensive line against the new look KC O Line.

Here is what I think, and by no means does this make me right 1000% but the Browns defensive line is truly good we don't have rookies manning key positions and pass rushers aren't reliant on scheme, it's head down and go.

With Garret on one side and Clowney on the other your talking one of the BEST defensive lines in the NLF regardless of how poor the middle is. These 2 are going to generate pressure, when you throw in McDowell who was the rage of the pre-season and Jackson your talking studs across the board. Jackson and McDowell are maulers they are going to get after it and bring some serious pressure up the middle.

Then lets look at the Chiefs new look O line, 5 count them 5 new starters 3 of which are rookies. So often we see matchups and salivate but this is a matchup that under any circumstance favors the Browns there just isn't a doubt.

That all said for sure Andy Reid is staying up late figuring out how to negate the Browns overwhelming advantage in this game. I think they are going to try to roll out PM otherwise he will be a sitting target.

They are bound to run a ton of crossing routes with Hill and Kelso that is a given, they are going to have to play small ball or the Browns D Line will swallow PM whole.

No question Hill and Kelso are monsters and they will no matter how bad the circumstance present a huge challenge to any backend and I think that will continue but the field got a lot smaller for the Chief who live on huge chunk plays, playing small ball isn't really what they do, not that they can't.

But given the monstrous advantage the Browns have in this game, I just don't see the Chiefs grinding out 12 play drives their just not that kind of team nor do I see the Browns being the type of team your going to consistently be able to do that. Somewhere in the process of trying to execute play after play the Browns are going to sack your QB, or come up with a turnover on the backend all brought about by the increased team speed the Browns will have on display and the pressure that PM most certainly be under in this game.

This game won't even be close if all things are equal the Browns should dominate the Chief. Maybe I am talking myself into this but this time I really don't think so???????

Did anyone see how their OLine looked in preseason?

Preseason is less about scheme and more about man-to-man battles. How did these rookies look against the various pass rushes they faced? Did they play a lot to get time working together? Were there any noticeable areas to exploit??

Would they be rolling with three rookies, knowing that their windows is NOW, if they weren't confident in them??

I think it is absolutely something to look at, but I wouldn't go putting all our eggs in that basket. I think that you have to try to exploit it, but you also have to assume they're good enough that you cannot and have another plan. Always have a plan, and then a plan if that doesn't work, and then a backup.

Two is One, One is None. Always have another way.

Browns is the Browns

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
PRPL,

I spent a bit of time on ChiefsPLanet. The fans there seem to think that it is a very minor concern, and that they aren't forced to start those rookies, it is simply that the rookies outplayed the vets that they had C-RG-RT. They also agree without hesitation that they can scheme for Garrett, and that our other DL are trash. I think that they will not feel this way by halftime.

They also talk a lot of trash about how Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and blitzers will destroy Baker. I think they forget they have to get through a top3 OL in between, and that being overaggressive may not be the best plan with Chubb n Hunt running straight at them.

Listen, I predict that they will win. But they seem to seriously believe we'll score like 10 points when the game is still in doubt, and that if we make it into the 20s, it will be garbage time.

Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
I also notice that their starting LT is former Raven Orlando Brown.

Quote:
They also talk a lot of trash about how Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and blitzers will destroy Baker.

They didn't destroy Baker in January, why would September be any different?

On our DLine being trash.... well, to be fair, we have a lot of POTENTIAL. One DE hasn't lived up to his hype for a large portion of his career, and the DT's are all generally complete unknowns. Billings is a "who the heck knows, but he hasn't looked good", and Malik McDowell is a "man, I hope he can do that against a real player", but the rest are a head scratch and a shoulder shrug. We just don't know. It will be interesting to see who is more correct about how our DLine goes by the time Halftime hits.... I think that one of the fan bases will be looking at our DLine and feeling deflated; I'm hoping it's them, but recognizing that it could be us.

After my last post, I did a little searching for reports on their OLine and couldn't find anything substantial in any way. I saw one report praising their rookie Center following the 49ers game, but perhaps of note is that there was a complete omission of mention of the other two rookies. Thuney is legit, but Garrett can bully Orlando Brown, and I'm betting that Clowney and Takk both can as well.

I've never been more curious, more excited, and more anxious to see what a D-Coord can dial up with a new group of players.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
PRPL,

I spent a bit of time on ChiefsPLanet. The fans there seem to think that it is a very minor concern, and that they aren't forced to start those rookies, it is simply that the rookies outplayed the vets that they had C-RG-RT. They also agree without hesitation that they can scheme for Garrett, and that our other DL are trash. I think that they will not feel this way by halftime.

They also talk a lot of trash about how Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and blitzers will destroy Baker. I think they forget they have to get through a top3 OL in between, and that being overaggressive may not be the best plan with Chubb n Hunt running straight at them.

Listen, I predict that they will win. But they seem to seriously believe we'll score like 10 points when the game is still in doubt, and that if we make it into the 20s, it will be garbage time.

I have been to their boards they are low IQ fans in the pure sense from what I saw, sorta sad that they aren't more on top of their team all they really know is they win a lot.

I give their take on the game this weekend a -10 out a possible 100.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
BTTB,

I wonder what it was like before they had Mahomes, though. i.e. are they really low IQ, or when you can pencil in 12+ wins every season without much thought, do you just not bother digging into the little details of the team/game?

Would WE really care much about how our DTs are gonna look if we were virtually guaranteed a division win and #1/2 seed? I'd like to think so, but I have my doubts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Chiefs 33 Beating the Chiefs

Link Copied to Clipboard