Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Legend
Legend

Wow.

I just read the article that was posted about Berry and his rise to GM.

I surprised myself. According to the article what I just wrote is pretty much on the mark.

Damn. Berry's philosophy is quarterback driven first then the OL.

The DL based upon pressure.

The article is well written and very interesting.

We are fotunate to have Berry as our GM.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I understand. And yes, given that we all know the train could go off the rails at any moment, we should be enjoying the ride while it is still good.

But having cautious optimism isn't a sign of Battered Browns Fan Syndrome. I think we'll be a top 10 team in the league this year, that we have a good shot to be in the AFCC, and are seemingly set up to compete for years...to "represent the city well" as Pluto put it. I am excited about all of that, and I'm all about gameday positivity. But the offseason and non-gamedays are for more level-headed analysis, IMO. To sit here on September 9th and say <SB win will be a big let down is just an emotional view that doesn't suit me. I'm glad it suits you...although I still advise against gambling with that level of emotion. tongue

Sunday cannot come soon enough! (although I hate the 4pm start).

Browns fans are born with it...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
the train could go off the rails at any moment

Quote:
But having cautious optimism isn't a sign of Battered Browns Fan Syndrome

Get vaccinated. Overly cautious behavior is a dead give away it's where the sufferers of the syndrome run and hide.

This is as good a team as we have ever had in my lifetime.

The time for displaying the syndrome is over it's time to be a fan.

This sort of ride seldom shows up don't spend it being cautiously optimistic.

The fun is the struggle the disappointment and in the end the victory that seals the deal I welcome it all.

Now is our time can the stats the worst case scenario and replace it with enthusiasm and look for why it will work, not why it won't.

Another sign of the syndrome, BTW.

In the end we can spend our time reliving past failures or we can enjoy the moment and the fun that comes with it.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think slamming people exhibiting symptoms of BBFS is very productive. These are generally the people that were hit hard by past disappointments/failures. They were there during the low times and didn't cut bait. Cautious optimism from someone that's been religiously watching this team since the return doesn't deserve "you need to be a fan".

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I've been a Browns fan since 1967 so I've seen and been through all of it. I waited 50 years to see my hockey team ( ST. Louis Blues) finally win a Stanley Cup. I've waited Longer for my Browns. They're my last team that hasn't won a championship. I hope the drought ends soon.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
People who always look for why it can't be done are kill joys, and worse yet they remind me of my wife........bla

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Brown I feel it can be done this year. We do have the talent and I feel we can play with anybody. If we stay relatively healthy we can go a long way.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
People who always look for why it can't be done are kill joys, and worse yet they remind me of my wife........bla

That's just sad. I know we have a lot of "Think the way I do or something's wrong with you" in politics these days, but I never thought I would see it bleed over into our football fan base. Boy was I wrong about that.

saywhat

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I get it (except for the part about your wife). Not trying to get on your case, just pointing out that the majority of people who are being cautious are the ones that have been burned in the past in getting their hopes up, and they stuck with the team even in the bad years.

Now there's a difference between people who are cautiously optimistic or keeping their excitement in check and the people that are perpetually wet blankets/downers. If you're talking about the latter, then go ahead and slam away. IMO, there's a difference, though.

I know I'm trying (and failing) to keep my enthusiasm in check at least until the games start. The amount of love we're getting right now (major talking head talking about us winning the SB), is setting off alarms in my head.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
It's funny, I find the polyanna attitude of "we are the best thing to grace the football field and are going to dominate everyone and definitely win the SB" to be...well...I'll refrain from the word I want to use.

That said, my personal attitude has absolutely 0 to do with the Browns. That's who I am. It just so happens that I don't get depressed by examining the gray areas/downsides/risks/etc. in life. Others do, hence I've been called a downer/eeyore/etc. before, so have at it. As far as I'm concerned, if you are somehow emotionally bothered by considering negatives alongside positives, that's a you problem.

Browns fans are born with it...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you knew my wife you would understand, trust me she doesn't know how to enjoy much always looking for the other shoe to come down and ruins what should be fun, drives me nuts.

Whatever you have been thru so have I. Do some reading about successful people they failed over and over and never let it stop them they learned got better and kept their heads down and worked.

After decades of keeping my head down and never giving up or in it's payoff time. brownie

Not going to let the past stop me from enjoying every moment, going to walk with my head high and letting the world know I was there when they weren't so good now is my time, watch me dance. nanner

We deserve everything we are about to receive, I intend to enjoy it just being a fan, let Ski and the team work out the details my job is to be a great fan and enjoy the fruits of the many many years I supported this team without much return.

Now is our time enjoy it and the hell with the past, our time is now.

You pout and lament away, not me no thanks for that, I have moved on. Stay where you are if it makes you feel comfortable. willynilly

I also know that not every moment will be filled with joy it wouldn't be any fun if it were easy it won't sway me a bit I expect it.

This should really send you into a tizzy I think we will be the next great dynasty................ nanner

And if it don't work out then I will be back next year expecting the exact same results. Gone are the days I have to scream about how poorly this team is run I get to be exactly what I was before the Browns turned into a train wreck a fan, the best in the sporting world I would add. nanner I gotta have some dawg bones and some batteries here somewhere............hahaha naughtydevil

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
You pout and lament away, not me no thanks for that, I have moved on. Stay where you are if it makes you feel comfortable. willynilly

See, here's where you go off the rails. I haven't seen anyone doing either of these. Trying to be objective is not "pouting or lamenting". You act as though anyone who tries to break down the possibility that your dream may not turn out to be a reality is some kind of Debbie Downer. That's just not true.

And let me tell you something about successful people. Sure they "believe they can do it". But let me tell you what else they do. They weigh their risks, explore their options and consider everything that can go wrong to stand in their way.

They don't live in some fairyland dream world where they act like nothing can go wrong.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
See, here's where you go off the rails. I haven't seen anyone doing either of these. Trying to be objective is not "pouting or lamenting". You act as though anyone who tries to break down the possibility that your dream may not turn out to be a reality is some kind of Debbie Downer. That's just not true.

Be whatever you feel comfortable with, but the Browns won't be calling you or me for advise so don't worry yourself so.

Me I am going to dance dance dance. nanner

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
So anyone with a different view than your own are "pouting and lamenting"?

Be careful not to break a leg. Dancing blindly can help facilitate that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

See new Tweets
Tweet
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
9h
The #Browns might have some of the fastest CBs in the entire league.

Greg Newsome II- 4.38 40 yard dash
Greedy Williams- 4.37 40 yard dash
Denzel Ward- 4.32 40 yard dash

This a great example for the point I'm trying to make...

...is the 40 time of our DBs more impressive to our fans than a Browns DB who makes a game winning tackle?

I believe in doing what ever it takes for the Browns to win the game.

That 40 time is not an advantage if the Browns defense can't make that game winning tackle.

Just make the play, that's what fans care about.

And in general, speed is better than lack of speed when it comes to making plays or being in position to make plays.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you mean to tell me not being fast enough to keep up with opposing WR's may leave you in a position where you can't cover them and may not be in a position to make the play? wink

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Be careful not to break a leg. Dancing blindly can help facilitate that.

You should do whatever makes you happy I do.

I respect your absolute right to sweat the details have had it I won't be signing up with you anytime soon though I want to be the fan I remember from the late 70's and early eighties that would see the Browns having a rough afternoon and collectively rise from their seats and begin to raise hell and urge the team to win.

Now that is why I was always proud to be a Browns fan, I always thought that is what a fan should be and so I have returned to my rightful place.

I am all in and I will urge the team on from here forward in the hopes that it helps them win.

It worked then I believe it will work now.

I assume my old number 12, and the position I proudly had up until the past few decades went by. Out with the new in with the old.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

The poster who has often responded to other's differing posts/opinion with "Wah" to illustrate pouting and lamenting, is now making this argument? brownie

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

link

John Johnson III says Browns D needs to 'beat the best' to be 'one of the best'Johnson believes the Browns are facing the perfect Week 1 testSep 09, 2021 at 04:26 PM

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMrnC5ZhWI [/video]

John Johnson III believes the rejuvenated Browns defense is going against the perfect Week 1 opponent.With Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney, Denzel Ward and Johnson, among others, the Browns are seeking to establish themselves as one of the best defenses in the AFC.With Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the Chiefs — back-to-back winners of the AFC and the first opponent the Browns will face in 2021 — have already established themselves as one of the best offenses in the NFL.Johnson has been eager to see just how strong the new defense truly is since he signed as a free agent with the Browns in March. He didn't need five weeks of training camp to know the group holds talent, but only the regular season can reveal the true strength of the group.They'll receive a big answer Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

The poster who has often responded to other's differing posts/opinion with "Wah" to illustrate pouting and lamenting, is now making this argument? brownie

Oh, the irony.

Pot meet kettle. You've done little but try to celebrate a man who can't even get a job in the NFL while attacking the guy that brought us Baker and Chubb.

Then throw a tantrum every time someone calls you on it.

rofl

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Oh, the irony.

Pot meet kettle. You've done little but try to celebrate a man who can't even get a job in the NFL while attacking the guy that brought us Baker and Chubb.

rofl

I'll defer to the intelligence and reason of the board (crossing fingers) that this has nothing to do with what has been said.

I thought you said you stopped drinking???

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's obvious to see you haven't.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

This is the type comment I expect to hear from those free agents who signed a contract to play for the Browns...

...to be the best, you have to beat the best...

Hopefully the Browns can live up to the expectations and standards they set for themselves.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Dak was impressive against the Cowboys...but it's the same old Dallas D. Cowboys are 0-1.

E
Legend
Legend
E
dna...QB is #1 I have said that all along. You don't need rhe best QB but if not elite then you better have the elite D and running game. Ravens are in that mode don't care what anybody says he is far from being an elite QB he however is an elite running threat and they need that elite D...losing Marcus Peters is big time for them...Edward's RB honestly average at best, Kelly who we cut can be just as good for the Ravens. But they are near average in D if you ask me. Lamar's air game cannot carry them and OL I don't think is dominant.
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Dak was impressive against the Cowboys...but it's the same old Dallas D. Cowboys are 0-1.

Except even I can out run him now.

That injury has really slowed him down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Except even I can out run him now.

That injury has really slowed him down.

See SB run. Run SB, run.... nanner

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
dna...QB is #1 I have said that all along. You don't need rhe best QB but if not elite then you better have the elite D and running game. Ravens are in that mode don't care what anybody says he is far from being an elite QB he however is an elite running threat and they need that elite D...losing Marcus Peters is big time for them...Edward's RB honestly average at best, Kelly who we cut can be just as good for the Ravens. But they are near average in D if you ask me. Lamar's air game cannot carry them and OL I don't think is dominant.
Jmho

I feel bad for the Raven's, oh well I am over it. I wouldn't take them lightly for sure but I think we were in a position to take them out back and give them a good ass whipping anyway. If anyone is silly enough to think that LJ is going to carry that team with his arm they are out of their minds.

We will own them this year and next and so on.

That said KC you get to go 1st.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Oh, the irony.

rofl

Not for nothing but do we know "He Who Shall Not be Named" (Praise be to Sashi) wants to work in the NFL? Last we heard he was consulting for what? 3 NBA teams? If nothing else, how many teams have we seen over the last couple of seasons doing a Sashi (praise behis name) style teardown?

I'd say he's been vindicated.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

See new Tweets
Tweet
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
9h
The #Browns might have some of the fastest CBs in the entire league.

Greg Newsome II- 4.38 40 yard dash
Greedy Williams- 4.37 40 yard dash
Denzel Ward- 4.32 40 yard dash

This a great example for the point I'm trying to make...

...is the 40 time of our DBs more impressive to our fans than a Browns DB who makes a game winning tackle?

I believe in doing what ever it takes for the Browns to win the game.

That 40 time is not an advantage if the Browns defense can't make that game winning tackle.

Just make the play, that's what fans care about.

And in general, speed is better than lack of speed when it comes to making plays or being in position to make plays.

Am I the only one who's at least a little concerned that we may not have enough weight on the back end of the DEF to handle the run game on a consistent basis?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Not in the NFL he hasn't. And he's certainly not a GM or anything close to that anywhere.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Devil I believe the theory is to get more players to the ball more quickly in this defense, that should negate any lost weight or muscle at the ball when the tackle is made.

I thought this too, but it makes perfect sense team speed means more bodies at the ball.

Joe has said he doesn't feel like defending the run game is nearly as important as it is to be sound in stopping the passing game with an emphasis on creating turnovers.

I feel certain this has been thought thru real well. It's why we have a player like Billings on the team, a big huge man that you simply can't move in the middle.

But I hear you and I certainly don't dismiss your thoughts, and though I think this has been allowed for.

At the end of the day we are going to find out exactly what Joe has in mind. Let's tee it up and get it on! nanner

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

The way teams play is different.

Coach Reid is a perfect example. Speed and motion is used to make a defense guard the whole field. TE's are more atheltic and dangerous in the pass game. Runners are more versitile and used more in the pass game. There are more quarterbacks who are mobile and are a run threat.

Devin White, Micah Parsons, JOK these dudes can fly.

Linebackers have to cover to play three downs.

Woods is basing his scheme on players who can play in space. Nickle and dime packages that will feature extra corners and safety's.

On certain down and distance situations they can load the box or rotate in run stoppers in the interior.

So, that puts the burden on the GM to find the right guys.

Although I expect our defense to play at a different level come Thanksgiving. We will be fine until then.

This KC game will be a early test to see where we are.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I hope he does that to Mahomeys tomorrow.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
No worries Mac
Having Delpit, Johnson and Williams will pay multiplying dividends

Legend
Legend
Do you mean to tell me not being fast enough to keep up with opposing WR's may leave you in a position where you can't cover them and may not be in a position to make the play? wink

Deion Sanders is in the HoF because he seldom let his guy catch the ball... therefore tackling wasn't so important.

yebat' Putin
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc..

Yes, defense does win championships!...ask KC.

Browns vs KC...The Browns defense comes up with the "same old performance" when the game is on the line...

Just another great example of why the Browns won't be winning any Championships if something doesn't change, starting with defensive coaches who are capable of teaching the basics of defense.

Legend
Legend
Agreed .. our defense must make more plays when it counts: 3rd downs and 4th quarters. Garrett got there once … we needed about 2-3 more

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Agreed .. our defense must make more plays when it counts: 3rd downs and 4th quarters. Garrett got there once … we needed about 2-3 more

He got there at the end when it mattered.

D did their job yesterday, the O failed us.

#PutHigginsIn

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DEFENSE still wins championships...

Link Copied to Clipboard