Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
I think it was Charlie Wiess on Sirius NFL was saying, you have to put pressure on a kicker in practice.

You can't simulate gameday late 4th quarter on the practice field, but what you can do is when he misses, make the entire team run laps except the snapper holder and kicker, and make them watch their teammates run until they make 3 in a row from 40 yards out.

No pressure like knowing your entire team is hating you right now and you have to make kicks.

I know I said that in one of these threads.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
I wonder what really goes into the decision making with a Kicker tryout.
I mean, we had a neck-n-neck competition for like 10 weeks with two kickers, but there's an outside chance one of these guys shows enough in a single morning to take the job? How does that work?

I've always wondered the same, but not just with respect to K. There's always this churn on the bottom that doesn't make sense to me if you are trying to find guys that can contribute. e.g. Whatever you think of Lauletta, is Mullins really worth replacing him? God forbid Baker went down, do we want a guy that's not yet stepped foot in the building as our backup QB? We may even see it happen in the next week on the 53, at that 4th DE or 6th LB spot.

I guess maybe GMs play the probabilities that those PS guys won't be contributing in the current year, so might as well see more guys instead of sticking with what you know. But it still runs counter to getting clean and efficient from an operational standpoint, which seems to be a focus of our current leadership.

Browns fans are born with it...
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I wonder what really goes into the decision making with a Kicker tryout.
I mean, we had a neck-n-neck competition for like 10 weeks with two kickers, but there's an outside chance one of these guys shows enough in a single morning to take the job? How does that work?

I mean, unless the guy is drilling everything right down the middle from 60 yards with every crosswind imaginable, how do you decide this??

I have to believe that it's absolutely McLaughlin is our Kicker and this is just building a call sheet in the event he is injured or is so bad we HAVE to get rid of him without thinking twice about it.

Could we apply this line of thinking, to if, emm say,
Tom Brady were to come to the Browns for a Try out, in circa 2017, When the Browns already had DiShone Kizer out there slinging the ball around?

How could they ever see in one day, if Tom Brady were anything worth making a decision on.

( Oh, I mean, They might look at the guys known history and reputation of getting the job done around the league for a whole careers worth of time)

but somehow Do We think, nobody considers that and makes all personel decisions based on one day in a camp in person.

This seems amazingly odd thinking if that were the case.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 09/02/21 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns notes: Grant Delpit, Greedy Williams, Sione Takitaki return to practice
Nate Ulrich
Akron Beacon Journal

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...ice/5662310001/

BEREA — Whenever a defense encounters superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes, it needs all the help it can get.

So safety Grant Delpit, cornerback Greedy Williams and linebacker Sione Takitaki returning from soft-tissue injuries and participating in Thursday's Browns practice provided hope the defense could be close to full strength when it faces Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs in the Sept. 12 regular-season opener.

"Everybody's progressing," Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said during his pre-practice news conference.

Delpit had been sidelined since Aug. 18, when he aggravated a right hamstring injury in a training camp practice.

Williams had been out since he suffered a groin injury Aug. 22 in the second preseason game against the New York Giants.

Takitaki had been idle since he suffered a hamstring injury Aug. 19 in a camp practice.

Delpit and Williams, both of whom are second-round draft picks from Louisiana State University, didn't play last season because of injuries they suffered on the same day. Delpit suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon and Williams suffered nerve damage in a shoulder on Aug. 24, 2020.

Last week, defensive coordinator Joe Woods expressed optimism Delpit and Williams would be able to contribute in Kansas City.

“I definitely want them to be involved," Woods said. "When you have the ability to put more speed on the field and create the matchups you want to create, that's what those guys give us.

"Greedy can play either corner position, but he'll allow us to create some different matchups inside with other guys. With Grant, he can play all of the safety positions, and he can play the dime position. Coming out of LSU, he showed us coverage skills. There's a lot of flexibility and there are a lot of different things I can do within the package. It's just really getting the guys back healthy.”

Ronnie Harrison, Greg Newsome II will likely start for Cleveland Browns
Stefanski said he's not ready to name starters yet.

But at this point, it's a safe bet neither Delpit nor Williams will start at Arrowhead Stadium.

Ronnie Harrison is expected to start at safety alongside blockbuster free-agent acquisition John Johnson III.

Still, Woods wants to use Harrison, Johnson and Delpit at the same time in a dime package. The viability of the three-safety look, though, hinges largely on Delpit's health.

“We're going to have a dime package," Woods said. "We may have to get to it maybe a little bit later in terms of the whole package, but we are repping it in training camp. We're keeping alive, but once [Delpit] gets back, there are some other things I'll be able to do.”

Williams competed in training camp for the starting cornerback job opposite Denzel Ward, but rookie first-round draft pick Greg Newsome II is expected to fill the role.

Of the three players who returned to practice Thursday, Takitaki is the likeliest to start. However, Takitaki plays strongside linebacker, so he comes off the field whenever Woods uses a nickelback. The Browns will run nickel for the majority of their defensive snaps.

If the Browns open Week 1 in the nickel package, they would have nine new defensive starters compared with the 2020 regular-season opener in Baltimore. Ward and defensive end Myles Garrett would be the only two Browns defenders to start the 2020 and 2021 openers.

If the Browns use their base defense at the outset in Kansas City and Takitaki is in the lineup, they would have eight new defensive starters compared with Week 1 last year.

Troy Hill, JC Tretter, Michael Dunn remain sidelined for Cleveland Browns
Speaking of nickelback, Troy Hill (undisclosed) remained sidelined Thursday along with starting center JC Tretter (undisclosed) and backup guard Michael Dunn (back). They worked out beside the field instead of participating in the portion of practice open to media.

Hill would be among the nine new starters in the nickel package.

Stefanski said Wednesday he expects Tretter to be ready to play the Chiefs.

Wide receiver Rashard Higgins remained absent Thursday, but he was excused for a personal reason, Stefanski said.

Higgins announced Thursday night on social media his fiancee had given birth to the couple's first child, a boy named Sevin.

Cleveland Browns players taking brief break in buildup to season opener
After practicing for about an hour Thursday, the Browns entered a mandatory three-day break for players. The mini-vacation is for players throughout the league and stems from the NFL adding a 17th regular-season game for the first time in history.

Vaccinated players can leave town, but unvaccinated players are required to be tested for COVID-19 daily, according to protocols agreed upon by the NFL and NFL Players Association.

The Browns have "well over" 90% of their players fully vaccinated, a person familiar with the organization's vaccination rates said.

Stefanski said he and his coaches will continue to work while the players are away.

"The message [to players] is stay safe, be careful, follow the rules that are set forth," Stefanski said. "But in terms of telling guys what they can and can't do, I'm really not in position to do that. I'm in position to tell them to be safe and reiterate some of those messages this morning and again today."

Joe Jackson earns No. 4 defensive end role with Cleveland Browns
Joe Jackson is the No. 4 defensive end of the Browns after being waived by them Tuesday and re-signing Wednesday. He'll be in the rotation behind Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney and Takk McKinley.

"All those roles are important, specifically to how we're going to wave the guys along the defensive front [into the game]," Stefanski said. "So Joe had a nice camp, did a nice job in the games, so we expect him to continue to build on that."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's a safe bet neither Greedy nor Grant will start at Arrowhead.
and Troy Hill is out.

The Db's NOT added to this team since the drafting of Greg Newsome showed as a referendum on what the team really thought of the Brian Allens, and Robert Jacksons, and Redwine, who are not on the team anymore, are adding up.
The lack of relying on the Kevin Johnson, and Terrence Mitchell, and Sendejo, and others who could suit up for all 16 games, could end up the story of the 2021 Browns.

Every Silver lining has a touch of gray.
Relying on Greedy and Grant
I feel like this is a re-hashing of the nightmare of bringing Hue Jackson back for year #3 as head coach. banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
What's the over/under on the amount of games Greedy, Delpit and Ward play this year?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
What's the over/under on the amount of games Greedy, Delpit and Ward play this year?

Ward consistently misses 4 games a year, so the over/under on him is probably 13.5.

Granny Williams, I put at 4.5. If he is on the field for one snap then this will be his 2nd most strenuous season in the NFL.

Delpit. Who knows. Optimistically I say 8.5. Absolutely no reason at all.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Quote:
Granny Williams, I put at 4.5. If he is on the field for one snap then this will be his 2nd most strenuous season in the NFL.

I hope we don't re-sign. The age analytics model shouldn't allow it.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

I hope we don't re-sign. The age analytics model shouldn't allow it.

I hope we don't make that decision until we have all of the facts. This is year 3 for him, and we don't have to make that decision of whether or not to re-sign him until after year 4.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
If Ward, Greedy, and Delpit all play more than 12 games we should have a parade

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

With or without them I think we are going to have a parade. Dreams are about to come true put some on ice and make a large bowl of Popcorn and let's enjoy the best season we have ever had.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
It's a safe bet neither Greedy nor Grant will start at Arrowhead.
and Troy Hill is out.

Hill's out for week one? What did I miss?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You didn't miss anything, TL is basing that on the last official injury report leading into the last pre-season game.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

All I know is Ward, Hill and Newsome are 3 studs at corner. Greedy as far as I'm concerned is our #4 Green #5 andeager to jump ahead of Greedy.

We are looking pretty good if all are healthy come playoffs
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
You didn't miss anything, TL is basing that on the last official injury report leading into the last pre-season game.

Man we can't know what he's basing anything on... could be facts, could be tin foil.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/05/21 08:41 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Man Tabber I was just commenting on you to Bone Yesterday I sure hope you are OK?

Keep on keeping on this is our year.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Maybe even combined. Well, maybe just pass out helium balloons.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Once again TL is peddling manure and you all are lining up to get a whiff.

Troy Hill is not out. He didn't play in our last preseason game and had what Ski called a minor injury, he will play in KC.

We will be full go when KC rolls around and our backend will be loaded and ready for KC.

KC best start figuring out how they are going to be able to handle Garret, McDowell, Jackson, and Clowney because with their reworked O Line I think Mahommes may take more hits in game one then he did in last years SB.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Cleveland Browns notes: Grant Delpit, Greedy Williams, Sione Takitaki return to practice
Nate Ulrich
Akron Beacon Journal

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...ice/5662310001/

BEREA — Whenever a defense encounters superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes, it needs all the help it can get.

So safety Grant Delpit, cornerback Greedy Williams and linebacker Sione Takitaki returning from soft-tissue injuries and participating in Thursday's Browns practice provided hope the defense could be close to full strength when it faces Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs in the Sept. 12 regular-season opener.

"Everybody's progressing," Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said during his pre-practice news conference.

Delpit had been sidelined since Aug. 18, when he aggravated a right hamstring injury in a training camp practice.

Williams had been out since he suffered a groin injury Aug. 22 in the second preseason game against the New York Giants.

Takitaki had been idle since he suffered a hamstring injury Aug. 19 in a camp practice.

Delpit and Williams, both of whom are second-round draft picks from Louisiana State University, didn't play last season because of injuries they suffered on the same day. Delpit suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon and Williams suffered nerve damage in a shoulder on Aug. 24, 2020.

Last week, defensive coordinator Joe Woods expressed optimism Delpit and Williams would be able to contribute in Kansas City.

“I definitely want them to be involved," Woods said. "When you have the ability to put more speed on the field and create the matchups you want to create, that's what those guys give us.

"Greedy can play either corner position, but he'll allow us to create some different matchups inside with other guys. With Grant, he can play all of the safety positions, and he can play the dime position. Coming out of LSU, he showed us coverage skills. There's a lot of flexibility and there are a lot of different things I can do within the package. It's just really getting the guys back healthy.”

Ronnie Harrison, Greg Newsome II will likely start for Cleveland Browns
Stefanski said he's not ready to name starters yet.

But at this point, it's a safe bet neither Delpit nor Williams will start at Arrowhead Stadium.

Ronnie Harrison is expected to start at safety alongside blockbuster free-agent acquisition John Johnson III.

Still, Woods wants to use Harrison, Johnson and Delpit at the same time in a dime package. The viability of the three-safety look, though, hinges largely on Delpit's health.

“We're going to have a dime package," Woods said. "We may have to get to it maybe a little bit later in terms of the whole package, but we are repping it in training camp. We're keeping alive, but once [Delpit] gets back, there are some other things I'll be able to do.”

Williams competed in training camp for the starting cornerback job opposite Denzel Ward, but rookie first-round draft pick Greg Newsome II is expected to fill the role.

Of the three players who returned to practice Thursday, Takitaki is the likeliest to start. However, Takitaki plays strongside linebacker, so he comes off the field whenever Woods uses a nickelback. The Browns will run nickel for the majority of their defensive snaps.

If the Browns open Week 1 in the nickel package, they would have nine new defensive starters compared with the 2020 regular-season opener in Baltimore. Ward and defensive end Myles Garrett would be the only two Browns defenders to start the 2020 and 2021 openers.

If the Browns use their base defense at the outset in Kansas City and Takitaki is in the lineup, they would have eight new defensive starters compared with Week 1 last year.

Troy Hill, JC Tretter, Michael Dunn remain sidelined for Cleveland Browns
Speaking of nickelback, Troy Hill (undisclosed) remained sidelined Thursday along with starting center JC Tretter (undisclosed) and backup guard Michael Dunn (back). They worked out beside the field instead of participating in the portion of practice open to media.

Hill would be among the nine new starters in the nickel package.

Stefanski said Wednesday he expects Tretter to be ready to play the Chiefs.

Wide receiver Rashard Higgins remained absent Thursday, but he was excused for a personal reason, Stefanski said.

Higgins announced Thursday night on social media his fiancee had given birth to the couple's first child, a boy named Sevin.

Cleveland Browns players taking brief break in buildup to season opener
After practicing for about an hour Thursday, the Browns entered a mandatory three-day break for players. The mini-vacation is for players throughout the league and stems from the NFL adding a 17th regular-season game for the first time in history.

Vaccinated players can leave town, but unvaccinated players are required to be tested for COVID-19 daily, according to protocols agreed upon by the NFL and NFL Players Association.

The Browns have "well over" 90% of their players fully vaccinated, a person familiar with the organization's vaccination rates said.

Stefanski said he and his coaches will continue to work while the players are away.

"The message [to players] is stay safe, be careful, follow the rules that are set forth," Stefanski said. "But in terms of telling guys what they can and can't do, I'm really not in position to do that. I'm in position to tell them to be safe and reiterate some of those messages this morning and again today."

Joe Jackson earns No. 4 defensive end role with Cleveland Browns
Joe Jackson is the No. 4 defensive end of the Browns after being waived by them Tuesday and re-signing Wednesday. He'll be in the rotation behind Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney and Takk McKinley.

"All those roles are important, specifically to how we're going to wave the guys along the defensive front [into the game]," Stefanski said. "So Joe had a nice camp, did a nice job in the games, so we expect him to continue to build on that."

catfight
Tin Foil? If they played a game today, who plays in the secondary? frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
They all would. If they're working out on the sideline, they'll be good to play. If they were idle, you might have cause for concern.

Not starting means nothing other than not out there for the first snap. That's it.

Expect them all to be on the field next Sunday.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

We destroyed Mentor. Glad we he was in attendance:)

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
E
Legend
Legend
E
in rehab getting stronger and working hard for positive results. Hoping to be done for opener if not then I will try to get a pass for the day. I wish to see my Browns at home with traditional 3 alarm chili and dogs

Chiefs are the best team in the AFC so we must keep our concentration intense throughout the game.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
in rehab getting stronger and working hard for positive results. Hoping to be done for opener if not then I will try to get a pass for the day. I wish to see my Browns at home with traditional 3 alarm chili and dogs

Chiefs are the best team in the AFC so we must keep our concentration intense throughout the game.

I am so glad you are on the mend. Honestly if you weren't here to enjoy this season with all of us it would ruin it for me.

All the pain we all have experienced over the past 20 + years would sort of be ruined, if one of the long suffering didn't make it, and for me that would most certainly mean you. Get better and start the Chili pot.

This year that Chili is sure to taste better then ever. Keep on keeping on Tabber I speak for us all I believe when I say prayers are with you and you are and have always been a very important part of this community.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

Good news tab.

Glad everyone will get to enjoy this ride.

I am throwing away all caution.

I am all in.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC.
We're often presented with the that
1. Mayfields efficiency skyrocketed in the 2nd half of 2020.

2. deleted

but. 3. How much of the time of Bakers' improved efficiency on offense corresponds to the time after David Njoku came back from injury.

Therefore, how important is it for the Browns to re-sign David Njoku and keep him around long term.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
... I speak for us all I believe when I say prayers are with you and you are and have always been a very important part of this community.

Absolutely! Well said, BTTB... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Mathematically, there is of course an impact on the bottom line number even if NJoku caught just one more pass than whomever he displaced with his return, but not anything that steps outside of the adage of "Correlation is NOT Causation."

Baker spread is around far too much, far too well, for one player to have that degree of impact.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Wow, Malik McDowell scores an 89.2 PFF score...3rd best DL in the League.

Legend
Legend
Just great

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The kid I liked better than Hudson got picked up///

Offensive tackle Alex Taylor, formerly with the Cleveland Browns has signed with the Chicago Bears practice squad. Taylor was placed on injured reserve after suffering an injury in preseason, but the Browns agreed to release him, so he was free to sign with someone else.

Last edited by waterdawg; 09/15/21 09:28 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Mathmatically Anthony Schwartz had 2 negative plays in his first NFL game on drives that did not score.
He ran a route that was different from if he'd continued, and was thrown to but not near the ball.
2nd He was thrown a ball that was knocked away by the defender but he had his hands on it.

A. Schwartz was involved on two plays that ended incompleted on 2 separate drives where the Browns did not score.
He also had a couple positive plays including one big pass which he was able to corral and catch, after a bobble. And a sweep run and a 9 yard completion. 59 yards on passes over 10 yards through the air.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

O
Legend
Legend
O
You forgot top rookie WR rating.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
You forgot top rookie WR rating.

But that doesn’t matter to TL. All that matters is that he was over drafted and didn’t catch eleventymillion yards worth of passes that travelled 100 yards in the air in his first three games.

:rollseyes:

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
DAMN ! We should have traded up for this guy in the 2nd to make sure he didn't get away from us!

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-15-highest-graded-nfl-rookies-week-1-2021

Just wow !

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
He can definitely stand to work on his hands. His usage right off the bat tells me that KS is happy with him (he got more snaps and WAY more looks than Higgins).

I'm sure KS will want to hear this TL info/feedback on Schwartz.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
Better than Chase...hmmm what does the Bengal fan throwlong have to say about that???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
It's silly to get worked up about a rookie in his first game who actually produced, but it 100% was frustrating that the guy that was brought in to run go routes accidentally didn't run one that would've likely gone for 6.

Browns fans are born with it...
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard