Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
"I buried him with one hand."

Baker really enjoys the game and is not afraid to
show it.

That said, Baker would be wise to avoid the heavy duty contact and realize that #1 should be keeping himself healthy and on the field.

I agree. Unless it is a SuperBowl or playoff game, just let the guy run and let someone else make the play. If it goes back for a TD, so be it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
That is an unfortunate name.

LOL...I was thinking the same.

I can hear it now..."There goes Dee Virgin!"

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

...running from the long snapper.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

...running from the long snapper.
avoiding the tight end

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Almost guaranteed to never return an INT for TD; the next time he scores will be his first.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I can't wait to hear, "And it loos like Virgin is going all the way ........"

wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And going after the Wide Receiver.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think it would just be "DEE!"
or perhaps call him by his middle name.
Javaris Drequis "Dee" Virgin is an American football cornerback...
How about just "DEE".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I think it would just be "DEE!"
or perhaps call him by his middle name.
Javaris Drequis "Dee" Virgin is an American football cornerback...
How about just "DEE".

I'm just going to say it... I think you've shown more restraint in this four-line post than you have in a hundred posts discussing actual football. So you are capable of it. I think you enjoy being absurd just to get a reaction.

Legend
Legend
Notes: Myles Garrett frustrated by chips from Texans … and teammates not taking advantage of the resulting 1-on-1s

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/09/24/no...ulting-1-on-1s/

BEREA — Myles Garrett couldn’t dip because the Texans had too many chips.

The All-Pro defensive end drew a holding penalty last week but was held without a sack or quarterback hit in the 31-21 win. He pointed to Houston’s protection plan.

“You all saw it. I don’t think I’ve ever been chipped so much in my life,” Garrett said Friday. “They pay me too much money and that left tackle of theirs, (Laremy) Tunsil, too much money to mess up the show we were supposed to have one-on-one. But I’ve got to expect this and we’ve got to adjust to it.”

Garrett signed a five-year, $125 million extension in July 2020. Tunsil signed a three-year, $66 million extension in April 2020.

Garrett grew frustrated with the extra attention paid to him and his teammates’ inability to capitalize. The only sack came of a blitz by safety Grant Delpit, and end Jadeveon Clowney had the other two quarterback hits.

“It’s tough watching my teammates not be able to make a play,” Garrett said. “Because when I see an offense keying on me with chips and stuff like that, it’s like, well, they’re taking a player out of the play to stop me, so we have one-on-one. And to see that they’re not making a play, it’s kind of frustrating, because I want to see them go out there and make big plays. We’ve got to get there.

“I’m trying to take up two or three men, however many, to take out of the pass or the run, so we have to take advantage of that. And I know that they’re not always going to do that for me, they’re going to do that for other players as they start making big plays. For right now, we all have to make plays, we all have to earn that respect.”

He expects the same treatment Sunday from the Bears.

“Nothing’s changed from my point of view,” he said. “I’m still healthy, so I think they’ll give me the same kind of respect.”

Coach Kevin Stefanski said Garrett’s the type of player who can dominate any week but acknowledged it won’t be easy.

“He gets a ton of attention. He is getting chipped. He is getting double-teamed,” Stefanski said. “The production in terms of sacks, as we all know, they sometimes come in bunches, but we have really focused on playing solid defense, being true to our rush lanes and being sound in what we do as a defense.”

Garrett expects coordinator Joe Woods to adjust if he continues to be chipped so often.

“Games, stunts, blitzes, just trying to mix up the front so that they can’t just get a key on me on one side or the other,” he said. “Because no matter where I was, left or the right, they were having someone sitting, waiting for me.”

CELEBRITY VISIT

Olympic gold medalist and Olmsted Falls High School graduate Katie Nageotte attended practice and impressed the players with the pole vaulting gold she won this summer in Tokyo.

Defensive backs coach Jeff Howard invited her. She shared her story with the defensive backs and talked to coaches, players and support staff.

Stefanski asked her to address the team after practice and she broke down the huddle.

“Just my second biggest dream ever while wearing my first,” Nageotte tweeted.

TOUGH GUY

Left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. (ankle) practiced in a limited role after sitting out Wednesday and Thursday. He was listed as questionable on the injury report but is on track to play.

He didn’t practice at all last week but started vs. the Texans and played into the third quarter before the ankle got stiff and he was replaced by Blake Hance.

“He got through it pretty well today,” Stefanski said. “He is trending in the right direction. Ultimately it is a great message to your teammates when you are injured, you do not stay injured and you really fight to get back out there and compete with them.”

Wills tested the ankle before the game last week and was able to play.

“It was a good feeling,” he said. “I felt good enough to play, so why not?”

** Linebacker Sione Takitaki (hamstring) and backup offensive lineman Chris Hubbard (triceps) were ruled out. Center JC Tretter (knee) was listed as questionable but is expected to play.

** The Bears ruled out quarterback Andy Dalton (knee) and listed safety Tashaun Gipson Sr. (hamstring) as doubtful.

EXTRA POINTS

Stefanski challenged the fans to be even better Sunday and to bother Bears rookie quarterback Justin Fields, who starred at Ohio State.

“They have a rookie quarterback starting and making his first start, who a lot of our fans are probably used to cheering for. In this case, we have to make life really hard on their offense,” Stefanski said. “Expect everybody in their seats at kickoff and then really expecting everybody to be loud throughout — do not wait until third down.”

** Stefanski said he was excited to meet former players during Alumni Weekend.

** Chicago’s coaching staff has several Browns connections. Former Browns coach Mike Pettine is senior defensive assistant, former quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo is pass game coordinator/quarterbacks coach, former safety Mike Adams is assistant defensive backs coach and former receiver Mike Furrey is receivers coach.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm not saying he was wrong, but I wish Myles would have confined those thoughts to the clubhouse. His teammates might not be thrilled to be called out publicly. I know I wouldn't like it.

Legend
Legend
Agreed

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Reminded me of the Bud Light commercial ... Leon can't do it all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Reminded me of the Bud Light commercial ... Leon can't do it all.

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm not saying he was wrong, but I wish Myles would have confined those thoughts to the clubhouse. His teammates might not be thrilled to be called out publicly. I know I wouldn't like it.

If you watch the video you can clearly tell he was joking.

Legend
Legend
Thx for that reminder, those commercials were great!

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Garrett is 100% on point and in the right because he's a team leader on the D... the leader on the line... and our highest value D player. Baker does it to the Offense all the time. He's not calling anyone out, just telling them to step up.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/24/21 09:35 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C

Sorry. I thought this was about something else.

Legend
Legend

Seemed that way to me, as well.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1st String
1st String
Garrett is a great player and a better person. He did not mean spite

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
i love our OL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. The Browns media:
You can't go 5 minutes into a show about the Browns without hearing that this defense hasn't played together.
It's the Browns own fault they keep changing everything, this time the defense.

Did you know the Browns defense has new parts that haven't played together?

They can't go 5 minutes into a new day of discussion. It is like an opening statement in a court case.
The Browns aren't playing well, but they have a bunch of new pieces on defense,
"have you heard they have some new pieces on defense, that haven't played together."
"haven't played together? on defense?"
" No, new pieces."
" New pieces? "
"Yes new pieces, and they haven't played together, so. "
"Well, I guess we can't expect much then."
"No, I mean, why, why would ya expect good play, I mean, they are 'New pieces, and, they haven't played together yet so,
" no, no , of course, it's Ok, "
Is it ok? if they give up 29 points a a game?
" The defense is going to be better but, they have a bunch of new pieces that haven't played together yet."
"Oh definetly better."
"better? "
"yes better, the defense is definetly better, but we have to be patient".
"patient?"
Yes of course, I mean, there are a bunch of new pieces that haven't played together yet."
"new pieces?"
"New pieces, but their better pieces."
"better?"
"Ya better, but they haven't played, together yet."
"together? "
"Ya, together", but it's going to take some time.
"some time? "
yes,
"how much time?"
"Enough time for them to get some new pieces in for the pieces they want to change of the pieces that aren't ready yet because.
" because the ones already here haven't played together yet."
Ya but it's the defense.
The defense?
The defense, it has some new parts,
better parts?
Of Course Better parts, but,
But?
But they haven't played
Toghether?
Together! Yet! so.
So?
So we can't expect them to play well, or we can't expect the defense to be really good.
"We can't ?"
No!
why not?
Because, The Browns Defense! has some New pieces! and they haven't played! together! yet! so! if the defense! is not good!
"not good?'
"ya NOT good!" But, it's OKay!
it's ok?
Because!
" because the defense,"
Yes the defense,
has some pieces that are new and they haven't played together yet.
" Well, that's good to know, is the NFL going to change the rules for winners and losers because the Browns defense, has some new pieces that haven't played together yet? "
NO!
no?
No of course not, same rules.
"same rules"
yes!
" But the defense?"
"But the defense has some New Pieces, that have not played together yet"
"So the defense is going to suck?"
"YES!"
"Wait, what!? why?"
"I've told you 10 times, look you just aren't getting it! listen, the defense is supposed to be bad!
Bad?
Yes Bad! but! it's better?
"Better that it's bad? "
Better, Yes! Better, because they are better!
"Better?! "
Better!
But they don't look better? They look"
"No! No! Why don't you just buy the company line!!!, The Defense can look HOWEVER! BUT! It is Better!
because,!
"Because?"
Because! We told you! How many times do we have to tell you! your stubborn skull,
The Browns defense! has some new pieces!
"on defense? "
" Yes on defense, that ! have not played"
"together?"
"Together! yet!" So!
So?
So! Don't! Expect! the defense! to be good! just admit! they are Better! Because!
"because"
Yes Because, Because we told you so!
"whatever." Browns! Brownsss!!! flamingmad

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm not directing this at any individual.

Seriously, who gives a rat bird's @ss whether Garret said this or that. No one cared about stomping on us when we went 1-32. By golly, we are the Cleveland Browns! Bless them SOBs! It's time we show our COLORS! Playoffs run through CLEVELAND BABY! We took this s__t for too long. It's time to return the favor! GO BROWNS!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
When did the Brown go 1-32? Never happened. frown 1-31-1.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns elevated TE Jordan Franks to the active roster ahead of the Bears game.

Legend
Legend

1-31.... and then lose the following Opener, as we always do.
That's 1-32.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Only people without a sense of humor, or maturity, would make the obvious jokes on a mans name like such, ehh.. on most days anyway.
People with a real sense of humor, look at it and say... C'mon. I mean.
For instance! You wouldn't see Tiger Woods doing an elbow pump and biting his lip for a heck ya!
after he made a 6 inch put for par after missing a makeable put for birdie? saywhat

I once saw a guy call his shot on a < 3 foot waste basket paper toss, and then miss, When he was standing over the waste basket, Now that was funny. Even funnier that he didn't realize and did it more than once, on different days. (Sense of humor.)
I don't know how the shows, "Full House" or "Mr.Ed." ever made it past the pilot episodes' they weren't funny either.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

That's 1-32.

Browns tied the freaking steelers Tyrod Taylor was the QB
Hue Jackson was the coach, I'm handsslapping my forehead here.
this is all from memory, am I wrong, because I think I'm not wrong.
Browns tied the opener. Remember when they just talked about how the team hadn't won it's opener since
Jeff Garcia, they just referenced this tie of the Steelers, 2018? a couple weeks ago.

I know I've heard the 1-31-1 stat several times.
Hues's final record didn't included 1-32, it became
like 3 33 and 1 or something...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809090cle.htm

September 9th 2018. Browns and steelers tied 21-21.
Tyrod Taylor started,
Mason Rudolph started iirc.

Now, to end the 2015 season I'm sure they lost a ton of games in a row, I don't know the most recent win in the 2015 season.

Beginning in the two HISTORICALLY AWFUL RECORDS seasons, 2016, and 2017 coached by Hue, the Brown went
1-15 , winning on near Christmas day, over the Chargers on the blocked punt or field goal(s) that is 1-15
they followed up the next year
the 2017 season with an 0-16 record, both consecutively the worst records in franchise history, the previous worst had been 2-14 for the first time in the 1999 expansion year, and before then 3-13 in a few years including 1990/1991 ish?

But beginning the 2018 year, with the stupid ad campaign of the bud light beer coolers, the Browns opening game, Hosting the steelers, they tied,
So that the Browns coaching record of Hue Jackson became to that point 1-31-1. Which is greater than 1-32, as bad as it was, I don't want to see it misrepresented.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M

That's 1-32.

Browns tied the freaking steelers Tyrod Taylor was the QB
Hue Jackson was the coach, I'm handsslapping my forehead here.
this is all from memory, am I wrong, because I think I'm not wrong.
Browns tied the opener. Remember when they just talked about how the team hadn't won it's opener since
Jeff Garcia, they just referenced this tie of the Steelers, 2018? a couple weeks ago.

I know I've heard the 1-31-1 stat several times.
Hues's final record didn't included 1-32, it became
like 3 33 and 1 or something...

Well actually if you really want to get into it - and go from the end of the 2015 season where we lost the final 3 games. Thru the next two seasons at 1-31 ... and then the tie vs Pit and the loss to the Saints in the fist two games 2018 .... That would add up to a record of 1-35-1.

Sounds so much better than 1-32 ... thanks for getting granular.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
We might be looking at a week or two without Newsome.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
i think so too

O
Legend
Legend
O
Greedy will have to step up.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Greedy will have to step up.

Scary to see Greedy...having to face either Adam Thielen or Justin Jefferson...like you said, Greedy is going to have to really step it up.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Vikings are the real deal, will likely be a playoff team for sure. Cannot take them lightly.

I won't say the Vikings are going to roll, because the Browns are pretty arn good. But I'm also High on the Vikings whole year. It's going to be a tough one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Seemed like the best place to put this. Grant Delpit versus a Kareem Hunt Mini-me brownie

Last edited by guard dawg; 09/29/21 06:48 AM.
Legend
Legend

I am a huge fan of Baldy's breakdowns.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/28/watch-jadeveon-clowneys-effort-play-gets-praise/

Here he highlights the play of Clowney who had a great day.

Until he got here Clowney was a reputation to me. A well known name but I didn't see him play much. Nor did I know his character.

Since becoming a Brown. I have become a fan.

He has a great attitude. Loves to play football. Good teammate. And the dude plays hard. He really gets after it.

He was a terror against the Bears.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Tried to figure. If the playoffs were today.
3 weeks into the season, >17.percent of the schedule has been played. If there were a selection committee, if the NFL had to play the playoffs, right now! What might happen.
This is only concerning the AFC, because until the Browns get to the Super Bowl, the NFC doesn't matter.
The NFL has 11 or 12 tie breakers for most situations.

Now, Bengal fan, who I've said, (sure you're in first place, 1 div. game). ya technicually blah blah, because afc this or division that, but if the playoffs were today, only 3 games got played, and the schedules were not equal.
There is the strongest case to be made, that conference record, and division record would have to be thrown in the trash in order to be equitable and fair.

The entire AFC would be determined by tie breakers 5-7.
2 teams are 3-0 for the #1 seed and bye, the Broncos' and Raiders. found in the same division. (tie breakers)
1. head to head, not enough data
2. division record, not equal data
3. record in common games, not enough data
4. conference record, not enough data, the NFL would simply have to toss those 4 in the trash.
#5 matters, and #7, but the 6th tie breaker, strength of schedule, would also be thrown out for all afc teams did not finish their schedules. (And it wouldn't change results anyways.)

Back to #5. Strength of victory. the combined wins vs losses of the teams a club in question beat.
the 3-0 Broncos sov is 0-9, way worse than the 3-0 Raiders sov of 4-5, to much to overlook the Raiders would get the #1 seed and the first round bye.
the only other 3-0, the Broncos would get the first Wild card spot and #4 seed.

Which then brings the AFC, to playoff tie break procedure #7. Best combined rank among AFC teams in points scored, and points allowed.
Low number wins because you're hoping to be first place and first place, not 16th place and 16 place, a clubs score is the total of both numbered placings.
Sorting out all of the AFC teams, to seed the 2-1 teams, if the playoffs were today.

1st Buffalo, first in points scored, 94, 2nd in points given up, 44 which = a 1st place 1, plus a 2nd place 2, for a combined low score of 3, the best in the AFC.

Which means the Bills would get the #2 seed of division winners with a 2 and 1 record and host a First round game.
The full AFC.
Buffalo 2+1= 3, 1st
Denver 6+1= 7, 2nd but with a 3-0 record it wouldn't matter.
Browns 4th in scoring with 86, tied for 5th with 60 points given up
Browns 4+5= 9 3rd in the AFC would win the division and host a playoff game as the 3 seed.

Cincinnati, 8+4= 12 tied for 4th in the AFC would get the 6th wild card seed and open at the Browns.
Raiders, 3rd in scoring, 9th in defending tied with 12th combined ranking, are 3-0 and already in so it doesn't matter.
The Chargers, 10th in points scored, and tied for 5th in points given up, and with a 2-1 win loss record.
10+5= 15 equals the
(1-2 record so doesn't matter patriots, who are 12+3= 15) for next best,
So the Chargers would lock up the 7th seed, 3rd wild card spot.
Only One other Playoff spot remains, the Titans who win their division being the only 2-1 member of it, and get the 4th playoff spot.
Eliminating from the playoffs
New England, 12+3= 15th. 1-2 record
Chiefs, 2nd + 16th= 18th. 1-2
Tennessee 7th + 12th= 19th; (3 way tie) but they win their div.
Ravens 5th + 14th = 19th tied, (2-1 no playoffs)
Texans 9th + 10th = 19th tied 1-2 no playoffs
Steelers 14th + 7th= 21st (1-2 no playoffs)
Colts 11th + 11th = 22nd. 0-3
Jets 16th + 8th = 24th. 0-3
Dolphins 15th + 12th= 27th 1-2 no playoffs.
Jaguars 13th + 15th= 28th 0-3 no playoffs.
(The 8th tie breaker is this formula for placing among the entire NFL but first they consider in your conference.)

That's if the playoffs were today. Browns 3rd in the AFC, not 3rd in the AFC north by the numbers.
1. Raiders with the bye
2. Buffalo
3. Browns
4. Titans
5. Denver
6. Bengals
7. Chargers (Chargers at Bills) (Bengals at Browns) (Broncos at Titans) Raiders get the bye.

Now!
In actuality, they need to show up and beat the teams that these numbers show they are better than, like the Division and AFC foes, because the Ravens and Chiefs might not lose.

And hosting the Bengals in Round 1 who would have thought? Now the Bills and Titans, they're always in the mix.
Hopefully the Browns beat a 6-0 Broncos team to drop them to 6-1 and lift the Browns to 6-1, in 4 more weeks. On Thursday Night no less.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard