Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
If we think we have a "possible issue", I just read Detroit has ZERO kickers on their team....now that can't be good. GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
They cut two veteran kickers in Bullock and Gonzales. They must have really crapped the pot during camap. I think Zane was signed late though.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: hitt
If we think we have a "possible issue", I just read Detroit has ZERO kickers on their team....now that can't be good. GO Browns!!!

We are low on the waiver wire. Just about everybody gets a shot before we do.

I'll worry about our kicker if it becomes a problem. A missed PAT in preseason isn't anything I will worry about.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
Folk missed two field goals and three extra points last year. I think that is about what most kickers do, including the one we had. The can't miss guys do not exist anymore. All of them are missing extra points since they move it back, and not a one is 100% on field goals. IMO, they are all the same. the guy we have now was doing good, then he missed the extra point and is considered trash. If we sign another one, it will be the same thing.

Bring a couple in, but I wouldn't hold my breath thinking there is going to be a can't miss guy.

It is much ado about nothing...until it isn't. Did anyone have any doubt that Justin Tucker would make that FG last year in the Ravens#2 game? Me neither. Now that's not the standard that every kicker can meet, and that's fine. Most of these guys are about the same throughout the course of the season. But once you have a playoff team, kicker matters.

On paper, we have our best SB window in the next 2 seasons. How would it feel to lose 1 or both of these chances after a long season of excellent team play because a kicker misses a game-winning 40 yarder in the playoffs?

Browns fans are born with it...
B
Legend
Legend
B
If you can guarantee some other kicker won't miss, fine get him, but you can't.

You don't know that our kicker is going to miss any more than you know some other kicker is going to make a kick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
PEEN,

I'm not claiming anything about any particular kicker. I just think it is wrong to say the position doesn't matter, because there are times in playoff games where it absolutely does.

Browns fans are born with it...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Lions cut Zane Gonzales.

Because John Dorsey is still there.

#NotARealPlayer rofl

And you tell everyone else to drop it.

notallthere

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Baltimore kicker didn’t get claimed.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Lions cut Zane Gonzales.

Because John Dorsey is still there.

#NotARealPlayer rofl

And you tell everyone else to drop it.

notallthere

"Awe......"

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I should have never of changed my signature as a sign of extending the olive branch. But that's okay, it can easily be fixed since that seemed to bother you so much. From the land of "Do as I say, not what I do" I present to you, Memphis.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
You guys are re-hashing the Dorsey ouster argument over a guy that was like 4-5 kickers ago. I think it was 3 seasons ago(?) (Browns seasons are like dog years so it feels like a decade ago).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
PEEN,

I'm not claiming anything about any particular kicker. I just think it is wrong to say the position doesn't matter, because there are times in playoff games where it absolutely does.

Cool. I don't know if anybody said it doesn't matter. Of course it matters.

I just don't think it matters if we bring someone in at this point. I think the team was leaning towards McLaughlin anyway, but if not it doesn't sound like they would have kept Parkey so much for winning at kicking....more because he was the incumbent.

Too many people expect a kicker to be perfect and kick 60 yarders with ease. Nobody does that.

IMO if a kick "loses" a game, the O or D didn't do a very good job either.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
PEEN,

I think kickers are like Qb's in that if they make a mistake there is no one to cover up for them.

If a Cb gets beat, the safety can come over and break up the pass or the DE can pressure the Qb into a bad throw or a sack. But if a Qb throws and interception or the kicker misses a kick that's it. Nothing anybody else can do about it.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I also think that a really good K could win you 1-22 games per season and a really bad kicker could result in 1-2 loses per season.

A team needs at minimum a decent reliable kicker.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just get us a kicker who can make all his xtra points and it would be more than we've had since Phil.

M
Legend
Legend
M
No one is re-hashing anything. Pit got triggered seeing a post he didn't like and decided to whine on the internet. We've seen it all too often from him before.

That's all.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
If you can guarantee some other kicker won't miss, fine get him, but you can't.

I can hear a report of a kicker who got waived, earlier today, and, some guy with a N in his name maybe from New England or some AFC east team and hear the report he was blank for blank, missed 3 on extra points over some time frame.
and then something like same percentage, missed only 3 extra points in the last year or other time frame.

And
I can draw on my memory.
Was it the re-look-back at the Giants game last year and there was a missed XP last play before half.

If you score before halftime, YOU HAVE to MAKE that XP, it's a Momentum killer if you don't

and then know the Browns missed an XP to finish preseason so. No matter the kicker, that's 2 missed XP's in 8 games by the Browns?

2 missed XP's in 8 games? Who the !!!!!!!!!, isn't anyone practicing XP's?

Something needs to be done. If they expect to play excellent and have team aspirations, the XP has to be a given, almost 100%

What was Phil Dawson, his numbers were listed, looked like 97.55+ percent on XP's. How many years of the 5 yard variety vs. the 33 yard variety.

Maybe the Browns kickers need to practice the 5 yard XP's 1000 times in a row, and then the 33 yarder would become more automatic.

11 days until about halftime of the Kansas City game. This subject is important.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

IMO if a kick "loses" a game, the O or D didn't do a very good job either.

Imo if a kick loses a game, it's like an affront to everything the Offense, sometimes the defense did to set it up. Getting the ball across the 50, making that circus play to get the ball down to the 38. Punishing hits to continue drives down inside the 30 or even the 33 yard line area.
Turnovers recovered in the redzone by defenses to set up an offense that only has 3 negative plays but to come away with zero points on a kick in the 41-44 yard range.

Made kicks are an extension of a teams effective execution of winning football.
The same as passes that are completed, and runs that don't stall because the runner can't find a hole. Punts that go for 10 yards because they're shanked and other negative plays.
Plus, Kicks are scoring plays.
A drive that ends in a made field goal reinforces all the players who put in the effort to get the ball into position.
Missed kicks are like pulling the rug out from under them.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Jester
PEEN,

I think kickers are like Qb's in that if they make a mistake there is no one to cover up for them.

If a Cb gets beat, the safety can come over and break up the pass or the DE can pressure the Qb into a bad throw or a sack. But if a Qb throws and interception or the kicker misses a kick that's it. Nothing anybody else can do about it.

In addition, the kicker relies on a snapper and holder. If those aren't perfect, the timing of the kick can be way off.

In looking at the missed extra point, the snap was a bit high. A bit high means the ball gets placed a bit later. Seeing as how a kicker begins his stride pretty much on snap, that "bit" can mean a lot.

On the hold, Gillians off hold hand seems to clear late, as in it may have even tipped the ball a fraction as the ball was kicked.

I am not making excuses for the guy, but if the timing between snap and hold are off, it's hard for a kicker to adjust his timing mid stride.

Watch some golf on TV. Many times you will hear the announcers talking about a player who got a little quick and the golfer was trying to hold his hands back. Sometimes the golfer is able to salvage the shot and at least keep the shot reasonable. Other times they are way off target.

You see it in baseball as well. When the pitcher throws a change-up, the batter has to try to adjust his bat speed mid swing by trying to hold back to get the bat timed up with the ball. Sometimes it works, but usually ends up a pop-up or dead fish fly ball to center.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
No one is re-hashing anything. Pit got triggered seeing a post he didn't like and decided to whine on the internet. We've seen it all too often from him before.

That's all.

While you were whining about the guy who brought us Baker Mayfield and Nick Chubb.

rofl

That's all.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
[quote/] By Throwlong
What was Phil Dawson, his numbers were listed, looked like 97.55+ percent on XP's. How many years of the 5 yard variety vs. the 33 yard variety.[quote]

From 30-30 yds Phil was 133 of 154
From 20-29 yds he was 147-155
He was great but in this age of 33yard extra points even The great Phil Dawson would miss some.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
in this age of 33yard extra points even The great Phil Dawson would miss some.

You take that back!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
in this age of 33yard extra points even The great Phil Dawson would miss some.

You take that back!

I'm sorry...i take it back. LoL

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
L
Legend
Legend
L
seems like every year since dawson we go into season worrying about kicker. We need to find that long term guy..dumb to be worrying about a kicker every year.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Yet, some of us will...especially when the first extra point or FG is missed. Naggar wasn't on my list....wonder if they'll take him to the stadium and what some kicks....Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Fumble one ball and the crowds light their torches, lol

Monday Morning after a loss.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Not really my thought, I was more surprised by the stats. I thought we were better than that.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hell, as much as Gillan sucks, I'd rather have Don Cockcroft back there at age 76.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Don spoke at a meeting I was at when I was, 12? Nice guy.

Believe it or not, after the h.s. football game friday, wife and I and another couple went to a local bar. I've been there hundreds of times (great burgers). I noticed, after years and years, Ozzy Newsome had signed the wall. As well as Urban Meyer, Roger Penske (whom I've met in person and he'd, being the person he is, probably remember my name)

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I think McLaughlin has a pretty good handle on the job now.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’d say so, and hopefully we’ve finally found a reliable kicker, first since Phil.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Until he misses a kick, then fans will want his head again.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
T
Legend
Legend
T
As it should be.

Other teams kickers can make a kick. Nobody is calling for Justin Tuckers' head from Baltimore fans.

We can see the Ravens are getting free out, unfairly, by the league from all procedural penalties, whether delay of game, or delay of game again, or too many men on the field, or illegal substitution.

I mean! How many times in 50 years have you heard a referee explanation,
" before the illegal substitution, time out by baltimorre" only the ravens ever did that.

Now! Given the 40 mph winds the Ravens
Cross winds, the Ravens seemed to employ in their stadium in 2020 when the Browns attempted a field goal, we can see No hesitance to cheat on the part of Baltimore.

Therefore. Kicks of greater than 59 yards ought to outlawed in the NFL, based on the probability the kicker was ... (what is the word for when they add weapons to a warplane?)...
equipped with a Lead sock or something, to give his kicks longer range.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

Such is the life of an NFL kicker.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I remember about 2-3 years into Dawson's career, tons and tons of people wanted to get rid of him.

Good kickers are like bourbon, they are either good or they are not and take a little time to age to perfection.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get not wanting to throw a guy with talent onto the scrap heap, but at the same time do you really want to potentially be losing games so 1 guy can work through whatever he's working through? It sucks, but IMO the answer is no when you have guys like Parkey (guys that can come in and hold down the fort for at least a little while) that are always available.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I remember about 2-3 years into Dawson's career, tons and tons of people wanted to get rid of him.

Good kickers are like bourbon, they are either good or they are not and take a little time to age to perfection.

Exactly. Few come out and take the league by storm as rookies, just like any other position.

Experience isn't something you can buy or draft. It took Dawson a number of years to kick in the stadium wind. It's a lot like golf. An experienced golfer can tell you the wind is blowing hard once the ball gets above the trees, but you don't feel any wind or see flags blowing around. It takes several times of having your ball blown off course before you have the experience to trust that the ball is going to move.

Chase has bounced around a bit over the last few years. He has the leg. He has decent enough accuracy even now. Now we just need to let him grow in to the kicker he can become.

I was around this board as well when Dawson was early in his career. Many claimed he had a weak leg. It proves that most fans don't know what they are talking about or have unrealistic expectations. Some both.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I like Chase and I think he'll stick. Will he miss a few? Of course -- all kickers do.

He just needs to work on his mid-range game.

Career:

Under 40: 14-14
Over 50: 6-7
40-49: 7-12

He's also 40-41 in XPs... and was 79-79 in college.

Hopefully, after six NFL stops in three years, he's found his home.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

I just hope it's in the 3rd quarter when we are up by 2 TDs and not in the final 5 seconds when we are down by 2... but he is going to miss again at some point.

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Team competition- who's competing at Kicker NOW

Link Copied to Clipboard