Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
that's what coaching is for

Exactly you start at a certain point and you coach up to where you need to be.

I would assume that Woods has a lot on his plate right now trying to assemble the defense and get it where it needs to be with so many new players it was bound to take time, and I assume that these things are also true for our younger players on the offensive side of the ball. The thing is to not keep doing the same thing when it implodes due to a player not doing their job.

If we can keep winning games and get the arrow pointing up so we continue to improve will be fine in the end.

I think that it was part of the game plan for Houston to try some different things on defense and correct those things as we go forward. Like I said keep winning games and keep getting better those are the keys.

And yes as you said coaching is the key.

At least we don't have a coach that waves off a penalty and then punts anyway...........Never thought I would see that one !

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

So many dissing Baker cause he only had a 63.3% completion.

Now he is over 80+% and leading the NFL and he still gets criticized and questioned if he is a true franchise QB.

also I would like to say that his completions are not just completions but passes that are spot on accurate where the Receiver gets to achieve YAC. Where I see a QB like DAK who is doing good but a lot of his throws are behind the WR or low or high where he has to stop and catch the ball then resume running. Big difference and when he has the so called weapons that he is said to have (Higgins is our #1 WR) it will make
a big differfence.

We don't have a Kelce, we dont have a Tyrek Hill, we don't have a Hopkins - yet that is all we heard all year oh the weapons Baker has....yeah outside of the run game WHERE?!?!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 09/22/21 03:57 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Last edited by FATE; 09/22/21 06:12 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield isn’t afraid to mix it up, even with one good arm, and his teammates notice

BEREA, Ohio -- Baker Mayfield handed the ball off to Nick Chubb on second-and-4 with 11:06 left in the third quarter on Sunday. Chubb gave the ball to rookie wide receiver Anthony Schwartz on a reverse.

Mayfield ended up out in front on the play and took on former teammate, cornerback Terrance Mitchell, throwing him to the ground with his right arm.

“I buried him with one hand,” Mayfield said in a Mic’d up segment tweeted by NFL Films on Tuesday.

He used one arm, of course, because earlier in the game he had injured his left shoulder trying to tackle Texans safety Justin Reid after throwing an interception on a ball intended for Schwartz.

“Obviously, not an ideal situation,” Mayfield said on Sunday after the game. “Trying to force (Reid) back inside. I think he realized it was me standing right there so he put his head down and ran right after me. It kind of popped in and out, but I will be good. Nothing too serious.”

The whole situation made running back Kareem Hunt nervous.

“I told him, ‘Let me tackle him next time,’” he said.

Mayfield, as you’d expect, had a retort ready to go for Hunt.

“Well, he needs to get his ass up there and make it happen,” he joked on Wednesday.

The block on Mitchell wasn’t the first time Mayfield threw caution to the wind post-injury. His first drive back on the field, he scrambled into the endzone from five yards out to tie the game at 14.

“I was just going to get in there no matter what,” Mayfield said after the game.

It was the type of toughness that led to Myles Garrett saying Mayfield is “like Brett Favre 2.0.”

On Wednesday, Mayfield said the shoulder is good a few days after the injury. “It’s still attached,” he said.

If there was a lesson to be learned from Sunday’s contest, it was to be cautious on certain plays, especially when defenders sense an opportunity.

“On the interception, it’s more so just be careful on how it’s going,” he said. “There’s definitely plays where a defense is going to try to knock you out of the game, that’s just the nature of the game. Just be careful.”

While he acknowledged there are certain plays where he can slide down to protect himself, he also said there are situations where he just has to make a play.

“When it comes to having to get a first down and all that, I’m not going to change the way I play,” Mayfield said, “because my mentality is always whatever I can do to help a team a win.”

It echoed something Mayfield said prior to the Texans game. On another run play by Schwartz in the Chiefs Week 1 matchup, Mayfield got out in front and was looking for work in the blocking game.

“Just doing anything we can to win,” Mayfield said. “That has always been my mentality. If I can help the team win in any way, I am going to do it, no matter if it is an unorthodox play of a quarterback making a block. That is just the nature of this game, and I am going to do whatever is required.”

“That is the love of the game, and that is Baker,” offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said last week. “I challenge him all of the time to be the first one down there to pick the backs up. He does a great job at it, and sometimes you get involved. If the play cuts back and you are on a bootleg fake, sometimes you can get out in front and help the runners.”

Stefanski joked last week Mayfield was just trying to show off his technique to offensive line coach Bill Callahan, but added it’s not something they’re going to put him in position to do often.

“I think you guys know Baker. He loves his teammates. He will do whatever is asked of him,” Stefanski said. “We are not going to try and put him that position often, though.”

Stefanski reiterated that sentiment on Wednesday.

“Sometimes you run those plays and you’re telling the quarterback, ‘Hey, really you just got to get this thing started,’” Stefanski said. “He’s not getting lead blocking tips from (run game coordinator/running backs coach) Stump Mitchell.”

This is the fine line teams have to walk with any franchise quarterback. Their competitiveness always brings out some trait in them that might make you a little nervous.

With Josh Allen, it’s those “you only live once” plays where he throws caution to the wind. Patrick Mahomes threw a costly interception against the Ravens on Sunday night because he possesses the ability to make almost any throw from any arm angle and is fearless to try them all. Lamar Jackson is second in the league in rushing yards, but certainly Ravens fans might get a little antsy when he exposes himself to hits usually reserved for running backs, even though he’s managed to stay healthy throughout his young career.

Mayfield has managed to stay healthy, too. He has yet to miss a start and has barely missed a snap since taking over in the third game of the 2018 season, even as his competitiveness sometimes comes out in his willingness to take on a defender.

It’s something his teammates notice and appreciate.

“I was impressed,” wide receiver Jarvis Landry said last week when Mayfield looking to block against the Chiefs was brought up. “We’ve been trying to get him to back down a little bit, he is the quarterback, but that’s one thing, that’s his toughness that he shows and it’s definitely an encouraging thing to see when you’re blocking, to see your quarterback actually out there throwing blocks.”

Tight end Austin Hooper wasn’t surprised to see Mayfield come back in the game Sunday and throw a one-armed block. He said it just re-affirmed how much of a “tough S.O.B.” his quarterback is.

“He sets a precedent so no one else can have an excuse now,” Hooper said. “I mean, if our quarterback’s out there, throwing guys to the ground with one arm, what excuse do you have?”

Even a defender, linebacker Malcolm Smith, was impressed with Mayfield making a play on the pick.

“He wants to get the guy down and I respect that because you’ve seen otherwise where guys just let him score and that sucks, so I definitely appreciate it,” Smith said. “We’ll definitely have to work on the technique a little but, maybe not sacrifice that part of your body but I’m glad it wasn’t his throwing arm.”

“He’s a very competitive player, he’s a very competitive person, he’s fiery,” Stefanski said. “The tackle (on the interception) itself, obviously we want to get (Reid) on the ground without getting hurt, so that’s a learning lesson. But his teammates respond to him and certainly in moments where he’s gutting things out, when he’s showing his toughness, I think your teammates respond to that.”

It’s about finding balance, both for Mayfield and in what the coaching staff asks him to do.

“Don’t want to take the competitiveness out of him,” Stefanski said, “but don’t foresee him as a lead blocker very often.”

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Mayfield has turned into Mr. Reliable, and it's truly something I think he is underappreciated for.

He guts it out and gives all he has, as a fan I love that about him, along with his pin point accuracy. I have said it before he is our guy how he goes so go we sign him and lets lock him in.

I think it's sort of hysterical that some guys think Jackson is better, not even close. Baker will be taking apart the Ravens while Jackson spends the back end of his career on IR is my bet.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I doubt that Jackson's play will remain as poor as it has so far. I think that offense has spent too much time together and knows what it's doing that it just needs to find its footing to get back to looking good again. Jackson has his warts, as many have said, but the dude can still ball as long as everyone else is doing what they're supposed to.

I think your Mr. Reliable comment is dead on. I think the most spectacular thing about Mayfield so far is that he's just been Mr Steady Eddy and not all that dramatic or exciting. He just goes out there and does what he needs to do... really without any extra drama or theatrics. Efficiency isn't super exciting, but it's exciting that he's being so efficient. By doing that, there isn't anything to suggest that he's going to 'fall back to Earth'.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think that helps to point out that often times ones perception doesn't always equal reality. I highly doubt many posters thought Baker had one of the highest percentage of downfield passes in the league.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Editor: "Hey, can you give me that same chart those other guys did, but maybe get rid of the line for the Mean, and maybe give me heads instead of dots"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Actually I'm pretty sure there's a mean line in there, it's just almost flat (I think it just barely shows an inverse relationship).

Even though it's inverse, I'm surprised at how flat it is. Same as before, I expect to see the 'gunslinger vs game-manager' argument play out in graph form, but it's still not there.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is too early in the season to be looking at statistics and projecting performance over a season.

4 games please.

That said, Baker has had a good start. 21/28 (75%) for KC, and 19/21 (90.4%) for Houston.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
He HAS had a good start, notwithstanding the dumb 1st down pick to end KC game. I'd like to see him keep that top 1/3 of the league air yards, and somewhere hovering around 70%, which I think is doable.

And for those criticizing his lack of TDs (not here so much, but definitely other NFL fans), the current TD split I think is 7:1 rushing:passing. Last year we ended 26 pass:21 rush, so there is no way that this ratio keeps up. We've just happen to have a handful of passes that take us down inside the 5, at which point it is just smarter with our line and backs to run it in.

Browns fans are born with it...
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
I doubt that Jackson's play will remain as poor as it has so far. I think that offense has spent too much time together and knows what it's doing that it just needs to find its footing to get back to looking good again. Jackson has his warts, as many have said, but the dude can still ball as long as everyone else is doing what they're supposed to.

The thing with Jackson, is he is running at will most of the time, and does not take big hits. His unique style and athleticism, forces defenses to be hesitant on all levels. His deep ball is atrocious, but him drawing safeties in, many times , leaves WRs wide open. When he hits those throws, they are usually big gainers.

I don't think anybody has truly figured out how to stop him yet, and keeping him in pocket seems to work the best. But, keeping him in the pocket is a tall task. The dude is a unique creature.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I pray baker is here for 15 year leading us to multiple superbowls

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
R
Legend
Legend
R
--Baker is super accurate.

--Baker always completes a ton of plus level throws. Always one of the best in the league in this regard. My absolute favorite quality about him. No 3rd and long is insurmountable.

--He's tough as nails. Maybe one of the toughest guys in the league.

--He still needs to prove he can put a team on his shoulders when the other team knows you're passing and play action means nothing for the go ahead score to win the game.

All of the above are true.

For all the fans that get emotional about Baker...if you just want a guy to be proud of, a guy that fits Cleveland, a guy that's going to bring a bunch of wins to Cleveland, a guy that's easy to love...we've got him.

If you want to win it all, it's not clear if he's that guy yet. The literal difference between winning it all or not is being able to deliver game winning drives against the best when it matters most.

That's the long and short of it. That's where we are at with Baker. It's not the worst place to be. But if you want to feel the euphoria winning it all, we need to see more.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I hope they continue innovations that create the high accuracy percentage over the next 4 games, one by one, and move on from there.
One by One, Chicago, Minnesota, then the other two.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
It really seems like you are trying super hard to be this boards version of a Colin Cowherd. Framing the discussion to give Baker props but essentially saying until he wins it all - we don't know if he can win it all. Using bad teams and mistakes by the team as an excuse to form an argument that Baker hasn't carried the entire team to victory despite inept incompetency and bad breaks. . . . I mean, Hollywood Higgins gets the correct targeting call when he got speared on the side of his helmet on the goal line vs KC last year in the playoffs and you basically don't have a leg to stand on ... as it is we are a missed call, a Chubb Fumble and a muffed punt away from beating KC twice.

There is more to Baker's game than the first three bullet points - but if you don't realize you can win everything with a solid team and a super accurate QB (short and deep), a baller and tough QB who his team mates love and will go to war for .... then I don't know what to tell you.

But you keep creating the contrived controversy. And nice play calling anyone that supports Baker "emotional" !! That was classy (not) - I mean, because I disagree you're come back is that I'm emotional? No, what I am is watching the games, paying attention to what Baker has accomplished since joining a 1-31 team and going through 4 HC in 4 years and all that went along with it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
From 1-32 to 18-16 with two playoff games. Anyone see a trend here? Any shortcomings of Baker can be said of 31 other QBs in the league, because that's how many don't win the Super Bowl each year.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 09/24/21 08:22 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Any shortcomings of Baker can be said of 31 other QBs in the league, because that's how many don't win the Super Bowl each year.

30... catfight

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
From 1-32 to 18-16 with two playoff games. Anyone see a trend here? Any shortcomings of Baker can be said of 31 other QBs in the league, because that's how many don't win the Super Bowl each year.
1-31-1 is > not = to 1-32 catfight

T
Legend
Legend
T
30 assumes Bakers' not the winning QB.
We're both assuming we're only talking starting Qb's.

As Keye and Peale once said. What happens when we assume? "You get THE ANSWER RIGHT!" rofl

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Two Minute Offense!

^ 4 words that equal a Big Question going forward.

Go Browns!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
One of the things that really wasn't talked about until now that is, is how Baker under pressure didn't maintain his mechanics (footwork) with the pressure that the Bears were able to bring.

It sorta had the hair on the back of my neck standing up, because I had thought he had made enough progress in this area that we no longer had to worry about his footwork. I found it alarming that he fell back on his old bad habit and we saw balls sailing high once again.

Another cause of concern was he still hasn't or isn't using Njoku the way I think he can. I see him trying but he just isn't quite there YET.

In an alike manner to the focus being on OBJ and getting their timing and trust in each other where it needs to be in a similar manner at least some focus should be shifted to Njoku. He truly is IMO an untapped resource.

It's not just that but Njoku is the best TE we have on the Browns in fact it's not even close, but if you don't use him he is sorta wasted talent.

I feel certain that if not during the game, or when film got broken down it was pointed out how Baker's footwork was off. I could see it in my living room.

These are area's that Baker needs to improve in clearly, oddly his footwork broke down the moment OBJ set foot on the field...

Just something I am putting out there to watch for, nearly every single time when baker sails a ball it's because his footwork broke down.

Oddly the press nor fans here on DT picked up on his footwork issue and pressure. I feel certain when teams brake Baker down it's going to be a point of emphasis to get pressure. Don't be surprised if the Vikings don't try to get Baker's footwork off he didn't seem to self correct that issue in this last game.

Getting pressure on Baker is easier said then done, and he is working from inside the pocket this year better then ever before.

Another oddity was the Browns rolled Baker out 1 time that I can think of and odder still it was the 1st play on offense. What did they see from the Bears that stopped them from rolling Baker out?

One thing I have noticed as well defenses are focused on backside contain and in reality it serves them well both in containing Baker on his roll outs and in backside runs.

I really haven't noticed what we are doing to counter this I know Baker in the past has drawn in the outside man who is responsible for contain then dumped the ball over their head I suppose this will continue?

Just something to think about????

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

E
Legend
Legend
E
dont forget the good plays

most of the bad footwork was Baker going left. Why so many roll outs going left.

Definitely an off day for Baker and if that is his off day that isn't so bad.

I didn't like some of the play calls, I hate run run pass to win a game closer than we should.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think that whacked left shoulder is bothering him more than he is letting on.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed. I mean who didn't see Baker kneeling on the field after that hit and initially think the season was over for him? I know it's his left shoulder but it has to be giving him some pain at some point, and it has to be in his mind a little. Hopefully he comes through pretty clean and each week it gets better.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
He took that full-weight body slam in the Bears game that had to hurt that shoulder further. Bears actually were flagged for that. shocked

His "mechanics" didn't suddenly regress in one game against a good Bears pass rush. That does NOT mean he didn't have issues with his mechanics ON THAT DAY. Just like the OLine did not lose "continuity" against a good Bears pass rush either. That's the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I appreciate the insight, I'll be giving Baker's footwork more attention. I agree about Njuko, I kept asking myself last week when was he going to get targeted.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Just something to talk about and I appreciate the comments.

It could be that the shoulder is bothering him more then he has let on?

Could be a lot of things but he did revert to the old Baker where his footwork was off.

I love Baker and what his presence has meant to this football team and there is way more good then bad. Could it be they told him one thing he couldn't do was turn the ball over that as long as he avoided that we would win?

Just something to watch for and pray doesn't show up when we need him most....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
Legend
Legend
M
Based on some of the scrambling and the dive for a first down (which we should have challenged) - I don't know that the shoulder is bothering him much. Today was a really bad day for Baker ... I have every confidence he'll be back on track soon.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'll have to re-watch it to see how much of Baker's problems today were mechanics. He played poorly. He seems to be getting antsy in the pocket as he has in the past. A lot of that took place before Wills went out.

Legend
Legend
Tons of happy feet and high passes. Just not himself (or what we’ve seen of him at times)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
True enough. But the play I found maddening was in the 1st half when he had Felton open in the flat he was rolling out in that direction. He has to see him but he chose to run? He didn't convert the 3rd down either.

Last edited by guard dawg; 10/03/21 05:58 PM. Reason: half is not spelled have, lol
1st String
1st String
I miss the cool calm and collected Baker from week 1. I hope he gets his composure back after today. Those feet were Dancing With the Stars like his 2019 games. Here's to hoping he gets back on track from here on out. It seems he struggles early in every season.

Legend
Legend
I don't see us rolling out the way we used to.
I don't see the OLine moving like it used to.

I think the Tretter, Conklin, and Wills injuries are affecting things, and I think Baker might be getting some happy feet with pressure and not quite feeling settled back there knowing that every other spot on the OLine is playing hurt. He's been sacked a lot so far this year, and I think he may have been taking even more hits..... he may just need to stop rushing things and remember "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Slow the game back down.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
The injuries could be affecting things for sure. Looking at Baker in games like Tennessee, KC, Dallas, etc .. .and then looking at him today … it’s like two totally different dudes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I read he started wearing a brace on his left shoulder last week.

No Craps Given
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Baker Continue to Grow ?

Link Copied to Clipboard