Legend

You have your opinion and that is fine.

I disagree.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, that's their problem.

I get wanting improvement, every week, from every player.

I also get we beat a team that most have called a playoff contender. In their house.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
3rd and 24 at the end of the half, near!

Kareem Hunt Runs for 33 yards and a first down!
4-5 plays later the Field goal to reach 11.

If not for the 2 point conversion and that 33 yard run by Hunt. That game could very well have gone into overtime.

Legend
Legend
"If IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

-Don Meredith

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I'm trying to Give Praise to Kareem here.

and I heard a new one, from a Browns podcast.
"If IFs' were 5ths' we'd all be drunk!"

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

And that is, according to something around here earlier this week, the #2 OLine... and we pretty much only rushed Four all day.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They kept showing the graphic that the Browns had the 3rd rated defense in the league…

I was figuring that would be the jinx for the defense.

By the end of the game, I was wondering if they would be rated higher next week.

It is the first time in a long time that the Defense could be relied on to stop the other team.

JOK, Delpit, McDowell and Clowney have made a difference.

Now, on offense, it was pretty much a disaster from a passing perspective. Baker admitted that the poor game was on him.. A typical Baker game would have been a lot wider winning margin.

An ugly win is still more satisfying than a pretty loss…

3 weeks into the season we don’t know if the strength of the team is the offense or defense.

On to the next game 3-1.:

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
They kept showing the graphic that the Browns had the 3rd rated defense in the league…

I was figuring that would be the jinx for the defense.

By the end of the game, I was wondering if they would be rated higher next week.

It is the first time in a long time that the Defense could be relied on to stop the other team.

JOK, Delpit, McDowell and Clowney have made a difference.

Now, on offense, it was pretty much a disaster from a passing perspective. Baker admitted that the poor game was on him.. A typical Baker game would have been a lot wider winning margin.

An ugly win is still more satisfying than a pretty loss…

3 weeks into the season we don’t know if the strength of the team is the offense or defense.

On to the next game 3-1.:

I'm very concerned by what happened with Baker today.

That wasn't just a bad QB effort, we've seen that many many times in CLE, this was... DIFFERENT. He just wasn't seeing things right in front of him, running into our own guys, couldn't even throw a screen, it was bizarre.

I'm very curious if he had a concussion or something.

Legend
Legend
JOK and Delpit add another variable to our defense: athleticism and suddenness … it’s very apparent

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
JOK and Delpit add another variable to our defense: athleticism and suddenness … it’s very apparent

It's beautiful.

Love watching JOK play.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

It's beautiful.

Love watching JOK play.

JOK is having a hell of a start to his career.

O
Legend
Legend
O
After thinking more about it and looking at reports on the game:

1) Yes, Baker was off and had a bad day. However, thier D was very good, better than expected if you ask me. Even Chubb had a rough first half.

2) Odell. Got nothing against the man, not crazy about our version of the player. Hated the half ass one hand grab today when he didn't even turn his head to that side of his body to see the ball in. Nope, looked over his inside shoulder and the ball was coming down on the outside... reaches out for a one hand grab without even looking. Ball was about a foot and a few inches outside his reach anyway, but it infuriated me. I know, I know, OBJ is great and a superstar... But I haven't seen much of that since he's been here. Matter of fact, I think if you added it all up, Higgin's outperforms him.

Baker and Odell. They are still trying to gel, I get that. Yet it seems to me that Baker has a mental thing with Odell in the game. He looks for him to make his move or get open and misses others who are. He also seems to be forcing the ball to him more and that kind of crap could be throwing off his whole game. You might say it's not an issue, but IMHO the issue is plain as day.

3) DEFENSE:
- Did Myles get a sack? I don't think he did but haven't checked that.
- I think Woods has bought more time after the last two weeks, he might be a keeper. Hope he can improve on today and keep them playing at this level... Super Bowl.
- It's nice seeing our talent start to show up throughout the D.
- It's nice to know last week wasn't a fluke.
- Young guys are showing up big time. thumbsup

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/03/21 09:01 PM.
Legend
Legend
BROWNIES & FROWNIES: Vikings try to play spoiler but fall short 14-7
Important game for both franchises

By Barry Shuck

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/10/3/...fall-short-14-7

The Browns need to continue their winning ways whereas the Minnesota Vikings are looking for a turnaround for their young season. Both clubs need this win. Cleveland is in a logjam in their division whereas the Vikings want to even their record to 2-2-0.

Let’s jump right into it. Who played well for the Browns? Who didn’t?

BROWNIES
Rushing defense - Vikings speedster Dalvin Cook could not get anywhere all day as the Browns defensive front of Malik McDowell, Malik Jackson and Jadeveon Clowney stymied the talented running back. Minnesota had 23 rushes for a paltry 65 yards. Nice job.

RB Kareem Hunt - He busted out for 33-yards on a nifty run in the second quarter that appeared he might be gone. This was on the drive that set up the first field goal. Hunt is a superior blocker when asked to remain in on passing downs. 86 all-purpose yards for the game.

P Jamie Gillian - Any time your punter is needed seven times in a game you are one of the game’s stars. His 39.9 average is nothing to write home about, but three of those were inside the 20 which is hooray! in the kicking biz. Boomed one kick for 54-yards. Your punter one of the stars of the game? When your offense sputters, then yes.

K Chase McLaughlin - Each week the talented kicker comes through with yet another long kick. Made both field goals including a 53-yarder and hasn’t missed one in a game yet. Was also excellent in kickoffs with an average of minus 7 including one that sailed completely out of the end zone.

Middle of offensive line - Most of the bigger gains came straight up the gut behind center J.C. Tretter plus guards Wyatt Teller and Joel Bitonio. The two starting defensive tackles for the Vikings combined for just four total tackles and were moved consistently by this trio. Both guards are excellent at pulling to the outside on several key running plays.

LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - The rook was all over the place. With 2:30 left in the game facing a third-and-six, it was JOK who defended WR Adam Thielen for the incompletion. Finished with seven total tackles, five of which were solo.

FROWNIES
Cleveland Browns v Minnesota Vikings

QB Baker Mayfield - Today must have been “National Overthrow Wide Open Receivers Day” since Mayfield did this continuously. The worst of the day was what could have been the game clincher with 1:08 remaining where he missed badly a wide-ass open OBJ at the Vikings’ 30. Overthrew Bryant Harrison early into Quarter 4 and then the following play underthrew Hunt which stalled a decent drive. Early in the third quarter facing a third-and-two Mayfield rolled out to his right to which a wide open Demetric Felton was sitting next to the sideline and instead he kept the ball and was sacked instead. Only 15 completions from 33 passes only tells part of this disaster. One of his best maneuvers was tying Teller’s cleat.

Refusing points - Second week in a row head coach Kevin Stefanski went for a fourth down play instead of kicking an field goal. This alone kept the Vikings in the game until the final seconds. Instead of leading 17-7 with four minutes remaining or :57 left or three seconds to go, the Browns held a slim seven point edge. The fourth down failure happened during the end of Cleveland’s epic 15-play opening drive which found themselves with a third-and-four on Minnesota’s six. Mayfield was then sacked just like last week. As far as we know here at DBN, the team with the most points still wins the game.

Play calling under four minutes - The four minute mark is a milestone in NFL games. The clock stops on more opportunities during this period than what would normally keep the time going. Sitting at Minnesota’s 47 with a second-and-10, Mayfield missed OBJ. Clock stops. Next play Mayfield missed Anthony Schwartz. Again, the clock stops with yet another Gillan punt. Two plays at 40 seconds could have eclipsed. After the Vikings lose possession on a missed fourth down attempt, Cleveland gets the ball back with 1:21 to go. Minnesota has all of its time outs left, but nothing more to stop the clock. Enter Cleveland’s bad play calling “again” under four minutes. After two short Nick Chubb runs, the Browns have a third-and-five. A long pass to OBJ is off-target and then one more free clock stoppage. Add another 40 seconds to this tally. So Minnesota gets the ball back with 1:01 remaining. 40 times three equals game over. The trick is to run the ball and keep the clock moving.

PR Demetric Felton - Hopefully the rookie can improve his numbers, but today he fielded five punts for an average of just five yards per return. Two of his returns he lost yardage.

Milk Bones – everyone has a plan until they are hit in the mouth

S Grant Delpit - Was steady in center field and made some special plays. In the third quarter he tipped a pass that was going into the waiting hands of Adam Thielen that would have been a first down. Played a bit soft with zone coverage at times including a key first down catch by Minnesota’s Dede Westbrook early in the fourth quarter. Delpit also had an interception that was negated with a penalty.

CB Denzel Ward - His fourth-and-six pass defense of Justin Jefferson was superb with :22 left. Was out of position when Jefferson gained 31-yards with 2:09 to play on a key third-and-eight.

FB Andy Janovich - His seal block on Hunt’s touchdown in the second quarter was a thing of beauty.

DT Malik McDowell - Vikings left guard Ezra Cleveland had his hands full all day against McDowell. Superb run defense for the big man and is becoming one of the best storylines for the Browns this year.

LB Malcolm Smith - The veteran seemed to be everywhere today and led all defenders with eight total tackles. Is an excellent tight end pass defender. Minnesota starting TE Christopher Herndon had zero catches while TE Tyler Conklin had just four for 18 yards.

CB Greedy Williams - Played steady and was in the right spots for most of the game. Had a key interception. Allowed the 20-yard pass completion to Jefferson right before the third quarter was over.

RB Nick Chubb - Was the leading ground gainer today with an even 100-yards. Had a pedestrian first half but came on in the second stanza with several key runs.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Myles had a half sack, but both he & Clowney (and the Maliks) were hitting Cousins ALL DAY. They didn't get a ton of sacks, but they had a TON of pressures and hits.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Did Baker miss any targets to Higgins today?
I think I remember 2 catches.

If DPJ, Higgins, Landry, Njoku, Hooper, and ?
were the top 5 WR's and not Schwartz Felton and OBJ.

Maybe there'd be the rhythm again.

2nd String
2nd String
Just making a point that the “Goat” Brady is getting shut down by his old team tonight.

Who let the Dawgs out???
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Regardless, the plays were there. Poor execution by the QB. Throws no professional QBs should miss.

And yet all professional QBs miss throws they shouldn't.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: myka

He played like he had a concussion from the first play.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: myka

He played like he had a concussion from the first play.

He doesn't have a concussion. He has the yips.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Regardless, the plays were there. Poor execution by the QB. Throws no professional QBs should miss.

And yet all professional QBs miss throws they shouldn't.

Not every week.

Baker is literally one of the worst starting QBs in the league at this point of the season.

Where is the giant leap he was supposed to take by being in the same offense two years in a row?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Baker's worst game and I'm sure he'll tell you the same.

Maybe it's an epidemic because Brady is overthrowing receivers tonight as well.

Baker should have throw the ball Felton. He should have thrown the ball to Hunt. I don't like how our tackles are getting beat inside. Any QB would struggle to step up in the pocket.

I'm not worried because Baker had proven he can play. He's a winner, he has one of the best arms in the league and can make all the throws. He definitely struggled today.

Schwartz seemed to slow and jog on the one deep target today. Still an overthrow but he wasn't running hard at all. These guys need to get open. Higgins is the security blanket that Landry is thought to be. I don't think we miss Landry at all. He can't get deep like obj can.

JOK is fun. Ward isn't getting paid. I like watching Delpit play. The future is bright. I like Clowney over Vernon as well and Vernon was good.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes. Every week.

I'm not overly concerned about Baker. He can play. I remember when their were talks about getting Cousins, Garoppolo, or Bridgewater over Baker. At least we know Baker is better than all 3.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If you want to narrow it down and question why didn't Baker throw to Felton or Hunt to get a first down, then I'm on board. That was abysmal and unsatisfactory.

Last edited by devicedawg; 10/03/21 09:43 PM.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker isn't a winner. I wish he was. I take no joy in saying that. I take no joy in the realization that Lamar is a winner. Guy is leading his injury-decimated team to wins. They are winning because of him. The Browns never win because of Baker. He's along for the ride.

He's missed 8 td throws in the last two weeks. 8.

I hate that this is the reality but it is. I am a diehard Browns fan. My mood is completely dependent on this teams successes or failures. But I believe in calling it like it is.

Baker is a bottom quartile QB (and probably lower) in the league. If things aren't perfect he's well below average.

Again, I take no joy in saying any of that. But that's where we are.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yes. Every week.

I'm not overly concerned about Baker. He can play. I remember when their were talks about getting Cousins, Garoppolo, or Bridgewater over Baker. At least we know Baker is better than all 3.

There is literally no difference between Baker and Cousins and Garrapolo. None.

I watch all these guys. No difference.

The difference between Baker and a guy like Allen is wide.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Baker wasn’t just bad throwing …. He had some very big WTF moments too. Missing guys, weird times to run and not dump it down, and reverting back to his old drift back/right in the pocket. He looked like the 2019 version of Baker today

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
A W. That’s the most important thing. Playoff/Super Bowl teams find ways to win, even when missing other aspects of the game plan. They found a W. I’m not ecstatic, but I’m okay with it.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

If only we had that on this board

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

If only he could practice what he is preaching 👏

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

Denzel with multiple GREEN DOG delayed blitzes against nub looks this week
@All22ChalkTalk
. Love that adjustment from Joe Woods.
https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1444855918294978568

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Higgins is the security blanket that Landry is thought to be. I don't think we miss Landry at all.

I disagree with you here. I'd argue Landry is the glue on the offense regardless of what his stats or contract says. This team misses Landry a bunch. The deep ball is certainly not what makes the Browns offense tick.

On a side note, Hollywood "All I do is catch first down passes" Higgins is the current Brian Brennan or Jurevicius on the team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I take no joy in the realization that Lamar is a winner. Guy is leading his injury-decimated team to wins.

Rish...

Baker is overcoming injuries as well and have the same record as the Ravens. Landry injured. OBJ injured/inactive first two games. Wills, Tretter, Conklin all not healthy, but trying to grind through it. Also, Baker playing through a left shoulder injury that has a good possibility of being treated with off season surgery.

In a way, I like that people are pissed after a sloppy win. It's means the Browns are really good and expectations are high. About time!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Difference is Ravens are winning because of Lamar.

Milk, Baker is just an average QB. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

Doesn't mean we can't have a successful season and win a lot of games and go far.

Just disappointed that we can't have that kind of guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Let the season play out. I appreciate the passion.

I'm on pins and needles awaiting the Haslams to hose me on playoff tickets, to which I'll gladly pay!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It is true we win games because of Baker, today might have been an exception, but teams don't always win or lose as the quarterback goes.

I have no idea how anyone can say Baker is not a winner. We went from a crap pile of quarterbacks to one who turned this franchise around. 11-5 last season and our first playoff win in decades.

I believe you've been extremely selective in your criticism of Baker. He's done a tremendous amount of good and we're not a playoff team without him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

The "Browns need to trade OBJ immediately" is what I assume is hyperbole.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Vikings 7 Post Game Thoughts!!

Link Copied to Clipboard