Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
They have to make the playoffs first.
I can be confident they will make the playoffs and are playing well enough to, and it will probably work out, and > AT THE SAME TIME, RECOGNIZE, that for whatever reason, be it,
Purple team qb and purple teams vet group on dbs.
efiminate stripey teams, qb and investments on defense plus a sudden awareness that running matters.
and mustard streaks teams hof qb and even if bad offense their historical ability to catch breaks and make things happen on things like devastating turnovers and defensive scores,
whatever reason be it, (plus the afc wests' collection of threatening teams cluster working against circumstances) and the schedule,
whatever reason, pick any,
That the Browns, have one of the most difficult paths to even get in the playoffs, even with this record, and moreso than some afc south teams, and the afc east teams,
and that difficulty won't relent any time during the path of the regular season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker has ended the QB carousel.

One game does not make a decision. I will continue to hope for the best.

The Browns are winning. That is more important.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Happy BDay ChargerDawg!

No Craps Given
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Higgins is the security blanket that Landry is thought to be. I don't think we miss Landry at all.

I disagree with you here. I'd argue Landry is the glue on the offense regardless of what his stats or contract says. This team misses Landry a bunch. The deep ball is certainly not what makes the Browns offense tick.

On a side note, Hollywood "All I do is catch first down passes" Higgins is the current Brian Brennan or Jurevicius on the team.

I don't believe we miss Landry and I don't believe he is any type of glue for this team. I mean the players may say they miss him, but he doesn't bring much more than what Higgins can do.

Give me a bigger faster WR for Baker to throw to. Adams would work but there are comparable cheaper options. The deep ball may not make the Browns "tick" but it would sure help the stress meter on the 14-7 wins.

Last edited by devicedawg; 10/04/21 12:38 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
You mean like the deep ball that Baker missed on when OBJ was wide open?

M
Legend
Legend
M
I wholeheartedly disagree. I yawn at OBJ's (bigger, stronger, faster) obligatory 4 yard hand off each game to get him involved in the game after trying to force him several passes early. Baker gets the OBJ yips.

Landry is a gamer. See his 4th and 1 run against the Chiefs. He brings a calming presence.

To repost:

Legend
Legend
Baker has to be the alpha to be at his best. When OBJ is on the field he’s the alpha. Baker’s mojo gets thrown off and he sucks.

We’ve seen it for 2+ years now … Baker and OBJ just won’t work

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Let the season play out. I appreciate the passion.

I'm on pins and needles awaiting the Haslams to hose me on playoff tickets, to which I'll gladly pay!

For the record, the NFL is in charge of playoff tickets and pricing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wholeheartedly disagree. I yawn at OBJ's (bigger, stronger, faster) obligatory 4 yard hand off each game to get him involved in the game after trying to force him several passes early. Baker gets the OBJ yips.

Landry is a gamer. See his 4th and 1 run against the Chiefs. He brings a calming presence.

To repost:

These are both very poor "takes." Imagine Baker connecting with OBJ on a couple more passes and we win handily. No one would have mentioned missing Landry. Having Landry doesn't make OBJ catch more passes or Baker throwing a more accurate ball. That's the silliest I've ever heard. OBJ was open, a lot. Throw him the ball more.

Yesterday wasn't Baker's norm. Whatever the issue is, lack of chemistry, sore shoulder, being over hyped for his coach to win, yesterday was an anomaly for Baker and it had nothing to do with Jarvis being out.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
You mean like the deep ball that Baker missed on when OBJ was wide open?

Definite chemistry. Not the overthrow but the pass to the outside when OBJ broke inside. There were a lot more bad passes when Baker normally doesn't throw bad passes.

If Baker is bothered by a shoulder issue we will never know. He'll never say. But for him NOT to pass to a wide open Felton or wide open Hunt says to me there may be pain or issues with that shoulder. Both times scrambling out to the right he pulls it down and runs. That's not normal for Baker. He would normally hit those throws.

Legend
Legend

He talks of nothing else.

Baker had a bad day. He said it. Everybody said it.

Not enough for Riz. He looks at Baker in every negative light possible. Never acknowledges a good throw or something done exceptionally well.

It is like the game is on and he is taking negative notes to post about. Anything good is not noted.

There is not a GM or head coach in football that watches Baker and comes away with what Riz takes are. Not one.

Quarterbacks have bad games. All of them.

The Browns do not go to the playoffs last year without Baker. Period.

This year other than this last game. He has played well. Not great but the record is 3-1.

Baker will continue to lead the Browns. The players and coaches are behind him.

Riz has his opinion. It matters only to him.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Everybody loves the kicker now LOL

Even my mom, who has never had anything good to say about our kickers for the past few years said this one is good. Believe me that is lights out a complement to the guy.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This defense looks to be very real.. They were outstanding, every single one of them did their job.

Jok has been unbelievable and is all over the field making plays whether it's making the tackle or blowing up the blockers os someone else can move in and finish the play. he is monsterious.

Garret and Clowney, McDowell, and Jackson are getting better every week. While they didn't pile up huge sack totals like they did against the bears they are very consistent in applying pressure. Outstanding effort.

The backend has been lights out in my years of watching football I can't recall seeing a defense swat down so many passes. The coverages are tight and they are making plays on the ball consistently.

Greedy Williams played great, Delpit played great every piece stood up when they had to make a play on the ball.

The defense is smothering the offenses run game. Because of the team speed we have they are getting to the ball carriers in numbers. When a 6 yard run is one of the better runs for the day on offense it's truly clicking. The defense is working well together. The pieces all fit, no round pegs in square holes.

That unit stands on the doorstep of greatness, so nice to see. Thrilled with the product obviously...

Baker is sorta in a funk right now, I am not sure exactly why I believe for some reason he is losing his mechanics (footwork) under pressure. I think a point of emphasis for Baker should be to set his feet and let it fly.

This was the kind of team win though that you have to love. Baker has an off day and the defense smothers the Vikings offense.

The defense looks to be hitting their stride and they are in attack mode on every play. The old saying play like you're hair is on fire best describes this defense.

I believe we are the best defense in the league right now and we are bound to get better.

The front 4 are playing unbelievably and the back end is covering long enough for them to get home.

For all the concern about Joe Woods he has pulled this unit together and has positioned them to be the very best.

Folks we have the kind of mix and talent that is championship level, we can beat teams from every conceivable angle. Great defense great offense.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

Browns defense was off the chain good.

The front four was outstanding.

Malik McDowell the find of the year. When the ball is snapped watch the guy he plays go backward. MM's first strike is sudden and powerful. He drives his man. It is a huge add to get pressure up the middle like he is providing.

Malik Jackson also had a big game. At 6'5" amd MM at 6'7" two large guys with hands up is a problem.

Cousins was pressured all day. You could see it in his face. He came into the game red hot.
He also had a bad game.

JOK is on track to winning the DROY. He is an exceptional player. He made plays all over the field. I need to replay to find this one play. While watching I jumped up and went Wow dude. It was a tackle behind the LOS. It looked like he was on fast forward.

The entire secondary was outstanding.

As a defensive unit whole They swarmed to the ball.

The Vikings were shut down. Take away their opening drive and they got next to nothing.

If the Browns defense continues in this trend. The Browns will go a long way.

When you can pressure and cover like they have these past two games. Life in the NFL will be rewarding.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

He talks of nothing else.

Baker had a bad day. He said it. Everybody said it.

Not enough for Riz. He looks at Baker in every negative light possible. Never acknowledges a good throw or something done exceptionally well.

It is like the game is on and he is taking negative notes to post about. Anything good is not noted.

There is not a GM or head coach in football that watches Baker and comes away with what Riz takes are. Not one.

Quarterbacks have bad games. All of them.

The Browns do not go to the playoffs last year without Baker. Period.

This year other than this last game. He has played well. Not great but the record is 3-1.

Baker will continue to lead the Browns. The players and coaches are behind him.

Riz has his opinion. It matters only to him.

Riz thought Holmgren was good, that says it all......................

Their are some posters that you are better off ignoring, reason isn't their best attribute...........

Try waving up at the sky and ignoring him.................I do ! rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Quite honestly, I haven’t seen a better rookie LB thank JOK in a long time. Whenever there’s a quick/flash play, I basically just assume it was him LOL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
There are a lot of Baker haters and they all enjoy it immensely (while telling you otherwise) when he plays poorly. Even when he plays well they sometimes say he is average because of x, y, or z.

Baker played really bad - he deserves a lot of scrutiny and maybe some flak and it clearly is fodder for anyone who likes to pronounce for the umpteenth time that Baker is a bust (being average for a 1st overall pick would be a bust). Just have to wait for Baker to figure this out. As someone said - he's never going to reveal if the shoulder is hurting. Because of the way he was running I assumed the shoulder must have been okay, but as someone said, the non throws to Felton and Hunt were just bizarre and more likely an indication that a certain body twist or action is causing issues.... we'll see. My belief in Baker hasn't gone because of Sunday vs the Vikings.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

this should be a reminder to the board that OBJ is a great weapon to have. he's a nightmare for the secondary, and a very willing blocker.

Baker had a bad game. it happens. but please stop blaming OBJ for that. Baker was missing multiple receivers wide open. he missed schwartz, hooper, bryant, obj, and felton multiple times who were wide open.

baker just needs to get back to the fundamentals with his mechanics.

baker wasn't the greatest during the first half of the season, even with obj out. the 2nd half? he lit up everybody. Baker will find his groove, and then strap yourselves in, cause were going to outer space.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
To me, if there is any fault with OBJ's play, it has more to do with the way the coach uses him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
One thing that’s bugged me: where has DPJ/Schwartz been? I literally forgot they even played yesterday. Is Baker struggling that bad that he’s missing open guys? Or are they not getting open?

DPJ was the camp darling … now he’s invisible

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

I love it when WRs block downfield, especially those that are regarded as stars at their position. I think we have several good blocking WRs on this team, Landry, DPJ & OBJ quickly come to mind.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I love Baldy, but he sounds like Kevin, from The Office laugh

I think there is a perfect storm going on with the offense's struggles. I think Baker is in his own head and combine that with his injury. I think Wills being hurt also has taken its toll. Combine that with the fact Jarvis Landry has been out, and Tretter is also dinged up, and you have a recipe for some big-time struggling.

Good thing the D seems to be finding itself. Hopefully we can get both sides to show up here soon. If we fire on all cylinders, we'll have one hell of a team.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Great job by Greedy

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend

That is a good question.

Yesterday KS went back to the well that keeps giving; Chubb/Hunt.

Until film shows the routes and you can see if there is separation. Hard to say.

Obviously we miss Jarvis. He is a go to target for Baker.

I wish the Odell sweep play is taken out. I hate that play.
Also I dislike the play where Felton wraps around Baker. It is a steal from the Chiefs. They have run it and done nothing with it.

Felton needs to get the ball. He is a excellent receiver. He is a mismatch underneath against linebackers. He should also be a screen guy where you get him the ball with a little space and blockers in front.

Schwartz? I can not tell his route tree so far. Unless you can see tape where you can see the routes.

DPJ is a guy who showed in camp that he will win contested balls. If he is single coverage Baker needs find him and give him some chances.

I am going to throw yesterdays game away. We won playing great defense and running the ball.

Shout out to our place kicker as well.

We will have to be more complete in future games.

And I believe we will.

Next week we play in a good weather place.

After 4 weeks all is well. I am really pleased with how the defense has come together.

I am confident in the offense. Baker will play better. Jarvis will return. Odell will get into game shape.

The Browns have the best run game in football. There is no doubt about that. Play great defense and having a great running attack will take you a long way.

We do not turn it over.

The passing will get better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Higgins is the security blanket that Landry is thought to be. I don't think we miss Landry at all.

I disagree with you here. I'd argue Landry is the glue on the offense regardless of what his stats or contract says. This team misses Landry a bunch. The deep ball is certainly not what makes the Browns offense tick.

On a side note, Hollywood "All I do is catch first down passes" Higgins is the current Brian Brennan or Jurevicius on the team.

Here is my issue with Higgins. He runs his route and gets open - Great. He catches the ball for a 1st down - Great. The nearest defender is 10 yards away - Great. His YAC = 1 - WTF?

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just wanted to add one more thing: I think the greatest contribution the Browns ever received from Todd Haley was the phrase I stole from him every time our kicker nails one from far out...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
First down, fall down!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One player who I thought went well, but unnoticed yesterday was Elijah Lee, by the way.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Happy Birthday! I got this win for ya! Hope it was fun!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN

I love it when WRs block downfield, especially those that are regarded as stars at their position. I think we have several good blocking WRs on this team, Landry, DPJ & OBJ quickly come to mind.

I remember watching Hines Ward and that crew of WRs completely block us out over and over again. Their "Trips" package beat us EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. because they'd just block us, and I was envious and angry that we couldn't find a way to get a receiver corps that was as effective.... and, now, we have it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

I think there is a perfect storm going on with the offense's struggles. I think Baker is in his own head and combine that with his injury. I think Wills being hurt also has taken its toll. Combine that with the fact Jarvis Landry has been out, and Tretter is also dinged up, and you have a recipe for some big-time struggling.

and Conklin has been hurt.
3 out of 5 OLine have been limited in practice the last three weeks.
OT-C-OT

When Wills goes out, we have a 3rd string OT coming in, or in the case of that guy named Blake, we have a backup Guard coming in at OT, which is why it was nice to see Hudson elevated yesterday; it means he's getting it enough now to contribute.

For some of Baker's issues, it's easy to feel he is simply feeling pressure more than is there and he is expecting to get hit at any second. Getting Gun Shy, as it were. But, when we need 3 yards and Felton is wide open 5 yards out and he ends up taking a sack because he keeps looking for the homerun hit 30 yards out, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with feeling pressure or bad footwork. That's just willfully stupid play. Obstinately playing Hero Ball when it isn't needed. He's going for the flashy Homerun when we just need to keep the drive moving with a freaking base hit. Instead, he whiffs.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I was livid after that play. I'm sure he'll watch that a few times with Stefanski and AVP.

#gmstrong
Rookie
Rookie

Legend
Legend
My brother was screaming that we need to bench Mayfield, and my Dad thought Mayfield looked like he was paid off to play poorly, lol.

I won't go so far as to say any of that right now, but I definitely wouldn't take sitting him off the table for the future, either. Whatever the issue(s) is/are, they all reside within Mayfield. He isn't setting his feet before he throws, he is throwing off his back foot. He isn't seeing the field and hitting open WRs, he's trying to force the ball downfield, but because he isn't setting his feet, he isn't accurate. He's been sailing balls high since Week 1, and not just occasionally, it has been constant and consistent.

WHY AVP hasn't seen this and fixed him or beaten him over the head with it is the real question. WHY are we heading into Week 5 and an issue that was already corrected once last season is now approaching two months of needing correction?

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
That’s unreal

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Vikings 7 Post Game Thoughts!!

Link Copied to Clipboard