Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
With the original thread reaching 10 pages long, this might be a good time to start a continuation of the subject.

Watching our players short press conferences posted on the Browns webpage just after the Vikings game, I noticed a "common comments" by a couple of our players.

Myles Garrett at the 4:30 mark of his presser...

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/myles-garrett-postgame-press-conference-at-vikings

and Kareem Hunt's presser at the 1:50 mark...

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/kareem-hunt-postgame-press-conference-at-vikings

It seems that the theme "Defense wins championships" has caught on within the Browns locker room.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Legend
Legend
R
What other choice do they have when Baker is the QB. naughtydevil

P
Legend
Legend
P
I had no idea Baker played on the defense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You certainly have a right to your opinion. No disrespect. but these types of off-topic remarks can only result in taking this thread on an unnecessary tangent. I think you know that.

Why not start your own "1000 reasons why Baker can't win a championship" thread. If it gets traction so be it. If it does not, oh well.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In an effort to refocus this thread...

The following article contains an observation that I was unaware of in real-time. One of the wrinkles that could be helping the defense and the front four particularly is aligning the four DL then putting a linebacker over a guard so the defense appears as if they could rush 5. This forces the OL to account for the fifth player on the D line and get more 1 on 1's for the actual rushers. This increases the opportunity for the D to get pressure with the four DL.

Hope that's clear. Heres the link and the article.

Browns Pincer Attack Claims Second Victim in Twin Cities
After an inauspicious first two games, the Cleveland Browns defense under defensive coordinator Joe Woods has dominated against back both the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings.
PETE SMITHOCT 3, 2021

The Cleveland Browns pincer based defense carried the team to its second victory in as many weeks, holding a pair of NFC North opponents to 13 points over two games. After they limited the Chicago Bears to a pair of field goals while holding to a historically low 47 total yards, the Minnesota Vikings were only able to score seven at home.

The Browns went from a defense with a significant amount of talent and promise but not much to show for it in their first two games to the most ferocious, dominant defense in the league the past two.

Beyond the fact they are keeping opponents off the scoreboard, they are brutalizing them in the process. They take away the perimeter, eliminate the run and then proceed to pound on the opposing quarterback.

The Browns did not get off to a great start in the twin cities, allowing a 75-yard touchdown drive. Their defense quickly found their footing and did not allow a score the rest of the game. Cousins, who came into the game as one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the NFL came out firing, completing 6 of his first 6 passes for 59 yards and a touchdown. After that, he completed just 14 of his next 32 passes for 144 yards with an interception.

The Browns were able put a significant amount of heat on Cousins, sacking him twice and hitting him a total of ten times over the course of the game. Cousins basically never felt comfortable after the first drive and was forced to make a number of hurried throws throughout the game.

This occurred because the Browns took away the running game and forced the Vikings to be a one-dimensional offense, putting the game in Kirk Cousins' hands. Dalvin Cook had a 13-yard run the first drive of the game, but only had 21 more rushing yards on his other eight carries the rest of the game. Alexander Mattison rushed ten times for just 20 yards.

That was caused in large part because the Browns did such a good job dominating the edges for the second game in a row. Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney have been giving the Browns everything they could possibly want, making it incredibly difficult for opponents to get outside of them, setting up the rest of the unit for success. When the running game can't get outside, it's just about impossible to utilize wide play-action concepts. So both the running game and the passing game have to take place almost exclusively between the tackles.

Because they were able to funnel the offense inside, the Browns were able to shut down the run of both the Vikings and the Bears and keep the quarterback in the pocket for basically the entire game.

Not unlike a python once it has found its prey, the Browns defense seeks to eliminate means of escape, then constricts around the opponent, taking away any space to move, air to breathe, until they are suffocated to death. That's exactly what the Browns did to its most recent two opponents.

Defending the running game with limited places to go is far easier because the Browns can commit numbers to stop them. The last eight quarters, the Browns defense has given up 111 yards on 36 carries for an average of just over 3 yards per carry.

Shutting down the running game while taking away the edges has enabled pass rushers to be focused on a target with little or no room to escape or operate. Since they know where the passer is going to be, they are simply planning on how to get there. Defensive backs know with relative certainty what angle passes will be coming. It's more difficult execute concepts like floods and changes which areas of the field the defense is more concerned in eliminating, which reduces the amount Joe Woods has to worry about stopping with his calls.

When the Browns have limited the quarterback to operate in the pocket and put them in obvious passing situations, Woods been able to make calls that attack the bottleneck.

Blitzes, whether off the edge or up the middle have a clear trajectory. Denzel Ward had half a sack and two quarterback hits against the Vikings a week after safety Ronnie Harrison notched a sack coming off the edge. John Johnson III came with a safety blitz that forced the Vikings to punt. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is an ever present threat because of his explosiveness.

The sheer amount of speed the Browns have at their disposal behind this defense line looks even faster when they don't have to cover the entire field.

ADVERTISING

One of the looks Woods has employed in obvious passing situations this season to generate pressure has had a defensive end lined up alone on one side against the tackle with three on the other, lining up over the center to the tackle, leaving one guard uncovered.

They then line up an inside linebacker over the uncovered guard. Most of the time, they are simply dropping that linebacker into coverage but the positioning still forces the guard he's over to treat him like he's blitzing, allowing every single defensive lineman to get isolated on an offensive lineman, making it four-on-four.

That guard can usually end up helping on the nose, but the other three defensive linemen are coming against a single blocker unless they kept help to try to slow down their edge rushers in the form of a tight end or running back. The running back isn't always helpful since the quarterback is already operating in tight quarters and the running back might exacerbate the problem. Nevertheless, the Browns are create the illusion of sending five while actually still keeping up to seven in coverage.

When the three players in one-on-one matchups include Jadeveon Clowney and Myles Garrett on the same side isolated on a guard and tackle, that's a terrifying situation for the offense. Takkarist McKinley is the player often lined up across from the other tackle, who can bring a speed element as well as converting speed to power.

At the level the Browns defensive line is currently playing, they are going to get to the quarterback. It's simply a matter of how long it will take. This also allows the Browns to specifically target the weakest player on the offensive line and attack them.

The Browns are still lined up to take away the edges and maintain the bottleneck. Justin Fields tried use his mobility to escape but was unable while Cousins tried to get the ball out as quickly as possible. In third-and-long situations, that might not be enough time to make a good read on a pass beyond the sticks, only making it more likely the Browns can get off the field.

These past two games have introduced a very real fear factor into the quarterback's thought process. It's increasingly difficult to simply try to look for holes in the defense when the quarterback is worrying about fumbling or getting hit. The defense was finally able to capitalize on an opportunity created with that quick clock in the form of a Greedy Williams interception, something they hope to increase as the season progresses.

The Browns will go on the road to face the Los Angeles Chargers followed by a game at home against the Arizona Cardinals. Both teams feature athletic passers with a good amount of firepower. They will try to come up with ways to counter the Browns pincer attacking defense, but it's easier said than done with Garrett and Clowney on the edges. The Browns have not only restored the 'D' in Dawg Pound, but this pincer plan of attack has the potential put the clamps on some of the top offenses in the NFL.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Your article makes me happy because it appears our LBers finally have a role to play!

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks. Good read Guard. Nice not Pd

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks, W8.

Here's another one. I recently put Camryn Justice, New 5 - Cleveland in my favorites. Surprisingly she is able to write a fair amount of content even though they are TV and not print media.

Camryn Justice

No JOKe: Browns rookie LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is the real deal as seen on Sunday
items.[0].image.alt
Photo by: Stacy Bengs/AP
Cleveland Browns linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (28) grabs Minnesota Vikings running back Alexander Mattison (25) by the foot in an attempt to stop the ball during an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns, Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021 in Minneapolis. Cleveland won 14-7. (AP Photo/Stacy Bengs)
By: Camryn JusticePosted at 8:07 PM, Oct 03, 2021 and last updated 8:07 PM, Oct 03, 2021
MINNEAPOLIS — Nominated for the NFL's Rookie of the Week award last week, Browns linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah has already impressed early in his NFL career, and on Sunday -- as the defense shined bright again -- he made it clear that he's the real deal.

When the Browns drafted Greg Newsome II in the first round, it seemed almost inevitable that the rover out of Notre Dame would be off the board before the Browns could grab him. But things fell their way and Owusu-Koramoah, who was a projected first-round pick by most, fell into the second round—and Cleveland scooped him up.

Recent Stories from news5cleveland.com

Owusu-Koramoah's potential heading into the NFL was exciting. His ability to execute hard hits and forceful tackles paired with his speed, agility and athleticism seemed like just what defensive coordinator Joe Woods needed to help build up the defensive scheme that he didn't have the talent to trot on the field last season (or health, for that matter).

After returning from the COVID-19 list the second week of training camp, Owusu-Koramoah showed he hadn't missed a step, making big plays at practice sessions and through the preseason.

But still, it remained to be seen how the versatile defender would perform in regular-season game action. Now, four weeks into the regular season, while it's early, it feels safe to say that Owusu-Koramoah is delivering what the front office and fans had hoped.

Ramping up his impact
Last week against the Bears, Owusu-Koramoah got the start at strong-side linebacker and put up four tackles, a half-sack and two passes defended—showing off his skill of changing direction on the fly and making plays on the ball.

"He knows he can be a force rushing the passer. He was there with me, and he made plays in the pass game dropping out in coverage and pushing pressure on the quarterback. I think we all did, and that is how it is supposed to look, especially with the guys we have up front and the guys we brought in," said Browns defensive end Myles Garrett after the win over the Bears.

Linebackers coach Jason Tarver said that in the Week 3 outing, Owusu-Koramoah had such a great game due to making the right calls and starting the plays exactly how they designed them for him.

"What Jeremiah did well was stay in his process and start the game and start the plays correctly, using what we do to start plays, so what I mean is his patience in the beginning of the play and then how he was able to fit and move and he got more in the groove than he has before so that was really cool to see," Tarver said. "When he stays in his process, when we all stay in our process, that's when we can be our best."

Tarver said that by starting correctly, Owusu-Koramoah has been able to be in a spot where he can feel the game out for himself and make those quick decisions on each down, allowing him to showcase his play-making ability while providing impressive coverage against the run and the pass.

That impact was had playing just over 50% of the defensive snaps, meaning as he continues developing his skills and proving his abilities on the field, Owusu-Koramoah's impact may just get even greater as the weeks go on.

"There are multiple packages we can create for him, but there is only so much he can handle because when you get on the field, you have a certain number of reps. If you are giving him a lot of stuff to do, how many times can you rep it for him to be comfortable doing it? That is with our defense in general," said defensive coordinator Joe Woods on Thursday.

With this Sunday's outing against the Vikings, it seems he's well on his way to finding himself even more involved in the game.

Another Sunday showcase
Adding to the argument that Owusu-Koramoah's impact isn't just beginner's luck, the linebacker had another big game against the Vikings.

Owusu-Koramoah solidified his ability to be a versatile defender on the first play of the game, holding Vikings star running back Dalvin Cook to a single yard, flying around the edge and wrapping himself around Cook for the tackle.

His impact was felt throughout the game when he was on the field and he had a performance that showcased his closing speed and his aptness for changing direction on a dime while also making seven tackles, which as he's said before, is his favorite thing to do.

Heading into his rookie debut, some critics were skeptical of Owusu-Koramoah's ability to play linebacker due to his 6'2", 215 pound stature. But even before taking the field for an NFL game, Owusu-Koramoah was confident in his ability and explained why his size wasn't going to be an issue.

"It is an advantage in terms of how the league is evolving in terms of a more pass-based league and in terms of probably about 85% nickel and third-down defense. I think it's an advantage because the offense, the way it is running in terms of more spread. I think it's an advantage because of how the league is moving forward and just my skill set in terms of getting to Point A to Point B in terms of slipping blocks and pressing blocks. I think that is something I'll be looking forward to,” Owusu-Koramoah said back in May.

Having a big game against a well-rounded offense like the Vikings that has been firing on all cylinders this season, the game Owusu-Koramoah had Sunday will only add confidence.

Part of a dominating defense
Owusu-Koramoah's impact helps the rest of the defense perform.

For the second week in a row, the defense won the game -- this week more so than last, even with the rough opening drive.

In addition to last week’s 26-6 win over the Bears, the Browns have held their opponent to single-digit points in consecutive games for the first time since 1995. They have allowed just 20 total points over the last 10 quarters. The Browns have recorded 14 total sacks this season, second in the NFL as of the 1 p.m. games on Sunday.

The defense clicked -- really clicked -- last week against the Bears, with their nine total sacks, and their dominance continued into Sunday's win over the Vikings.

Garrett reminded fans he's a force while Jadeveon Clowney proved he's still a quarterback nightmare. Grant Delpit and Greedy Williams have made big debuts after returning from injury. The Maliks (Jackson and McDowell) have been commanding on the interior while the secondary is a night and day difference from last season.

Owusu-Korarmoah has been there with them, ready when they send him out on the field, helping the gears run smooth as they chug along through the next 13 regular season games with the hopes of even more postseason match-ups. He's part of what could continue to be an elite defense—and you know what they say about defense.

It wins championships.

We're a long way from that, but four weeks in, it's so far so good.

Camryn Justice is a digital content producer at News 5 Cleveland. Follow her on Twitter @camijustice.

RELATED: BROWNS DEFENSE DOMINATES IN 14-7 WIN OVER VIKINGS

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A big big part of the reason that the Browns defense is so dominating aside from the front 4 is JOK.

This week we should see even more of his coverage skills the Bolts like to use their TE's lets see how he does.

Everything that Bone has said he would be BTW. That is looking at a player and imagining how they fit. Good catch Bone

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I too was pretty much on the JOK train right when I saw...

Saw the potential and what the Browns were missing.

Last edited by The Collector; 10/06/21 07:49 AM.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
While JOK seems to be thriving in this defense the past two weeks, I'm not ready to credit him for the improvement in the play of our defense.

I give a majority of the credit to DC Joe Woods for changing the type of defense he is calling. Instead of playing a conservative defense, giving up yardage underneath. In the past two games Woods allowed the defense to play an aggressive style, not allowing the QB the luxury to relax in the pocket and wait for a receiver to curl into an opening for a high percentage completion. Watching our CBs play a soft zone was tough to watch.

Mixing his defensive calls keeps the opponent's QB guessing about the coverage or wondering if he will have enough time to complete the pass or if he needs to just get rid of the ball.

JMO, but it sure looks like the Browns defense enjoys playing this aggressive style.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Woods has always loved an aggressive defense. As soon as the team was ready to implement it, he let the Dawgs loose.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. If anything, Delpit might be the key that was added.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly think that was a huge reason. I also think getting JOK up to speed at the NFL level played a part. Watching both of them play shows the skills needed to run a more aggressive scheme.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's definitely the combination of the two. Without them, he doesn't have the chess pieces to put on the board to run this defense in this manner.

So, it was largely a matter of waiting for them to be able to get on the field, then show they can handle being there, I think.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. The best place to try it out was in the Chicago game against the rookie QB. After passing that test with flying colors they tried it against a much better offense and it proved to be ready.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Progress is typically not linear. I think that the Chargers will have some counters to what we did last week. And they have a better OL and QB to pull it off.

Happy to see our defense improving, but there are going to be bumps, and the next 2 weeks look very likely to provide some of them. Watch all the Fire Woods people return, only to be sent into hiding again by Halloween night. L

Browns fans are born with it...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with you guys.

However according to Mac Joe read one of his posts and made the corrections he was requesting.................

So Mac fixed Joe and everything has been fine sense. Now you know how the folks in Berea operate...

From Mac's keyboard to Joe's defense............

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I will be curious to see if some of those earlier issues with the D magically come back vs AZ (mobile/running QB).

It would be really really cool if the Browns D were able to say they've pretty much ironed out all the little kinks (containing a running QB, taking away a strong run game, disrupting a QB that tends to get the ball out fast) before we start against our division.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sure there will be bumps in the road. I understand what you're saying but let me offer a counterpoint. It was only two weeks ago that we started to see the more aggressive style of D we're seeing now.

So you do have a point that teams have it on film now. The counterpoint is that you don't install an entire system right away. You install it in increments. To attempt to install the entire playbook that quickly would overwhelm your players.

So as they are developing counters we will have a more expanded version of the D. Some of which they have not seen and can not be prepared for.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If we can keep Ekelar and their QB between the tackles, our D will be fine.

As soon as we start giving things up to the outside, we will begin to break down unless the LBers and CBs/Safeties fly up in support.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If we can keep Ekelar and their QB between the tackles, our D will be fine.

As soon as we start giving things up to the outside, we will begin to break down unless the LBers and CBs/Safeties fly up in support.

What is making this all work so well I believe is that the edges are set so hard by Garret and Clowney, then if someone should get to the outside the speed of the folks we have on the backend shuts it down quick. I don't think this defense has much to worry about as long as they play hard and get hats on the ball.

I am thinking that Baker is going to light it up this week. That is what he has always done when faced with adversity I love that about him. Will always worry I know that too................The life of a fan

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I will be curious to see if some of those earlier issues with the D magically come back vs AZ (mobile/running QB).

It would be really really cool if the Browns D were able to say they've pretty much ironed out all the little kinks (containing a running QB, taking away a strong run game, disrupting a QB that tends to get the ball out fast) before we start against our division.

This defense was built for a running QB. Speed, Speed, and more speed.

The Ravens are going to get handed their asses this year. We have been angling towards dealing with their QB, will get it done if we don't do anything else.

The Ravens at this juncture are an afterthought for me. I got my sights set a lot higher then them.

If I am right year one of the next great NFL dynasty begins next February.

The pieces are looking like they are coming together and ahead of schedule too... Thanks Mac

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
pit..

On 6-18-2021 an article was posted Woods was asked about all the new faces on the defensive side and said Woods commented that as long as the coaching staff does its job, he is confident everything will work out...this according to a team-provided transcript:

Quote:
“It is my job to go in there and our job as coaches to teach these guys the scheme, the techniques that we are using and to rep it. That is what the offseason is for and that is what training camp is for.."

During the first two games, it looked as if Woods and his coaching staff clearly missed their goal of teaching the more aggressive defensive scheme that Woods referred to during the off-season (June).

Personally, I prefer the style of defense being used during the past two games and if we ask this group of talented players, they would also prefer the more aggressive scheme.

Legend
Legend

Thanks.

Jeremiah is so fun to watch play football. He made some plays against the Vikings that made me jump up of the chair.

We all know how godd Myles is. Clowney has been outstanding as well. He has great lateral pursuit and he never stops.

But there is no doubt in my that the play of Malik McDowell has been huge.

This man pushes the pocket. He is drawing double teams as well. If you concentrate on just the LOS and the snap. You can not miss McDowell. His guy goes backwards.

For such a big man. He is quick and powerful. To think that he was out of football for four years. And now is a starting DT on the Browns. That is something.

Having Malik Jackson next to him is a big help. MJ is veteran guy who embraces the mentor role. He is helping to form MM.

As the season wears on MM will be drawing attention.

Unreal find by Berry.

Legend
Legend

I sure hope our defense can stay healthy.

Going into the season I was optimistic about the defense.

However, you don't know till you see the product on the field.

What I am seeing now is outstanding.

JOK's role will continue to grow as he learns to play inside the scheme. It is about learning all the different looks he will see from all the offenses. By the time the season is near the end. He will be something to see. By mid season next year. He will be a star in the league.

We have some young defensive stars. We have good solid veterans mixed in.

Like in basketball defense is a matter of consistent effort. Offenses can have ups and downs like a shooter going hot and cold. A defense like ours can win games on their own. They just proved that.

This week will be a new chapter. Herbert is showing he is for real. It will take a big effort to win this game on the road.

But we will be up for that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
McDowell who I do watch has been outstanding I believe he is the best D tackle in the league this side of the Mississippi.

He is impossible for one blocker to handle and he draws attention away from Garret and Clowney.

It's sort of funny really because if you watch the 1st snap of the game you will see teams try to handle him with one blocker by the third snap their are 2 guys on him the rest of the game. He is very disruptive and forces the ball out of the QB's hand before he wants to let it go.

The biggest thing the Browns D Line is doing is they are disrupting the timing of the offenses we are playing.

Everything for all offenses is execution and that execution is based on time, shorten the time a QB has to get rid of the ball and you are disrupting the offenses ability to execute. You got them you are now dictating what they can and cannot do.

With the Browns D Line being so disruptive and tying up the O line with the pressure they are generating it also disrupts the O Lines ability to get out and block our linebackers and safeties, in the running game and that of course allows the LBers and safeties to come in and clean up the running game.

It all really does start up front on both sides of the ball as long as we win those battles we will continue to win football games.

Sure teams see film on how we are running our scheme, but this is about trench warfare and we are manhandling teams up front. From there everything just falls into place.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
pit..

On 6-18-2021 an article was posted Woods was asked about all the new faces on the defensive side and said Woods commented that as long as the coaching staff does its job, he is confident everything will work out...this according to a team-provided transcript:

Quote:
“It is my job to go in there and our job as coaches to teach these guys the scheme, the techniques that we are using and to rep it. That is what the offseason is for and that is what training camp is for.."

During the first two games, it looked as if Woods and his coaching staff clearly missed their goal of teaching the more aggressive defensive scheme that Woods referred to during the off-season (June).

Personally, I prefer the style of defense being used during the past two games and if we ask this group of talented players, they would also prefer the more aggressive scheme.

They were still missing JOK and Delpit, and they offer the speed.

I also think the D we played against KC was the plan....to keep it in front of them.

All teams present different challenges, thus you have to adjust the way you play. The chargers have a good quick pass offense. We may not see all that much blitzing on Sunday and see guys camping out in the throwing lanes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Just listened to JOK's press conference.

I know I have harped on and on about this guy.

Mostly it is all about his play on the field. However, when he was first drafted by the team he was interviewed by Nate Zegura. Nate is an excellent interviewer. He has great rapport with the players and coaches. He is knowledgeable about the game and has a manner to get them relaxed while in a one on one interview.

Nate came away from that interview really impressed. He said that in his eight years of covering the team. Jeremiah was the most impressive rookie he has covered from the standpoint of maturity.

JOK in simple terms has his head screwed on right. He has a great mental approach to go along with his outstanding football skills.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Having Garrett and a healthy Clowney on both ends is an obvious competitive advantage. One that, if both are playing reasonably well, offensive coordinators are probably only going to be able to limit the damage they do. But add McDowell into the equation, and that propels our defensive line into a legit, official embarrassment of riches. You have 3 guys that require double-teams and/or chips. That is pure insanity.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
and we still have another Malik and Takk, both of whom have been showcasing a motor, especially Takk.

There has been more than one instance where I've watched Takk and mistaken the body moving for Clowney until I noticed the number on the jersey. They are both just powerful missiles out there.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: mac
pit..

Quote:

They were still missing JOK and Delpit, and they offer the speed.

I also think the D we played against KC was the plan....to keep it in front of them.

All teams present different challenges, thus you have to adjust the way you play. The chargers have a good quick pass offense. We may not see all that much blitzing on Sunday and see guys camping out in the throwing lanes.

IMO this is 100% correct. There's a difference in teaching the players a defensive scheme and having the players available to run that scheme. And scheming depending on your opponent makes perfect sense.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Offenses must try to wear down the DL. They can't plan many deep route plays. They must scheme quick play-action plays. Once the Browns defense gets comfortable and the offense gets more consistent, they can play tight and defend 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Today, against the Chargers, the play of the Browns defense could be the key to a win for the Browns...

I do know that DE Ifeadi Odenigbo was promoted to the active roster but hasn't played yet. Maybe he will get a chance today.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I had concerns about this defense and I still have concerns.

Getting off the field on 3rd down is crucial and we had a hard time doing that again. Not sold on Woods' defense.

Yes I know they have a good offense, that's the kind of thing we will face if we make the playoffs.

M
Legend
Legend
M
To be fair - we stopped the Chargers a bunch of times on 3rd down only for them on make it on 4th down. 3 for 3. We have a lot of injuries and we were playing a very good team .... With that said, there are still some unsettling things witnessed today. Not the least were the blown coverages that resulted in TDs.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
we gotta get healthy. we're injured on the front and back end. JOK is balling, but he is young, takitaki and wilson seem lost in the sauce no matter who the DC is.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Chargers were 6-13 on third down. I wonder what the split was for the halves. Also what their second down efficiency was.

Third or fourth down, we failed to get off the field. Teams are less likely to go for it on fourth if your defense is wobbly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
3-3 on 4th down.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense still wins championships #2

Link Copied to Clipboard