Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Another game with a bunch of contributing factors to the loss. The 2 wide open TD throws that anybody with the physical ability to throw a football 40 yards could have completed. Crappy officiating, not just on the phantom PI call but the non-holding calls all game long. Defense giving up multiple other 4th down conversions and making them look relatively easy.

Our crunch time offense just isn't very good. And I'm not just talking about final 3 minute stuff. Even on 4th down, not very good. I don't know what it is, I can't explain it...

Its the playcalling. Going for 4th and 2 and we throw an incomplete pass instead of running it when they cant stop our run game. Thats like outsmarting yourself.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
It's not even that we throw it, though I understand that running is our bread and butter. It's that we go no back so often, there is no play action, not even a threat of the run, no screen passes.. we go straight drop back most of the time, which is not our strength.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
Solid officiating!...

Holding called on Browns JC Tretter...

Garrett and McKinley held, no call...

https://twitter.com/Rob_Shenanigans/status/1447338828138700804

AJ Green DPI...

Legend
Legend
Can't wait for the Browns to get the letter from the NFL office.. "Whoops, our bad."

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
This is really a sad game to consider, and there really is a part of the Browns that alarmingly goofed and, it was hidden, because so many things distracted us from it.

Andrew Sendejo, of the 2020 Browns never seemed to use the final official, or the open end zone, as the plan, to stop the deepest Wr.
But the 2021 Browns! Have done it;
Once against the Chiefs.
Once against the Texans.
(Once against the Bears, I think...
and twice against the Chargers today.

Andrew Sendejo!!!!! ("Cut Sendejo,")
Would stand there like a bump on a log!!!
There were replays, where it appeared, the ball would be snapped, and he would plant his feet!!!
And Never move!!! Until the whilstle was blown!!! banghead

But EVEN HE! Never let the final WR get 25 yards away from the final Safety.
Even HE, never used the open end zone in back of him, like an extra defender, like the sideline is sometimes used.
EVEN HE, never appeared to think the Final Referee was somehow an extra Phantom Safety waiting in back of him to pick up pass coverage.

Cut Sendejo! and the Browns of week one of 2020!
Cut Sendejo! and the Browns of week Two of 2020!
Cut Sendejo! and the Sendejo Browns
WON! TWELVE------------! GAMES!!!

But they never, as a defense last year! Seemed to leave the final, deepest option,
HAVE SUCH A CUSHION!
Bracketed by two players, 6 yards on either side, with neither player in arms reach of making a play, 2, or 3 games ago.
And then, this game, with a 25 yard cushion, after the final safety broke off, and just let him go.

Now! Ordinarilly! A Browns team like that, loses, 38-6 ish, and the other team could have scored 60, but in those cases, the Colts or such, would let off the gas.

HOW MANY TIMES IN THE 12+ LOSS YEARS!
DIE THEY GIVE UP 25 POINTS! IN ONE FINAL FOURTH QUARTER???

Kareem Hunt! Nick Chubb! Rashard Higgins! OBJ, DPJ,
Myles Garrett, The rest of the Defensive line,
Baker, Njoku!!!

The Browns scored 42 points, with an offense that had one bad drive,... The players deserver better.

They deserve a pass defense that doesn't seem to use the flamingmad philosophy of just give up the touchdown.

SCREWY !!

Kyler Murray and the Cardinals. banghead
flushin Twice against the Bengals, banghead
Sure The Ravens, won't know how to exploit that banghead
Cut Sendejo! Cut Sendejo! I remembered, they were winning, won 12 games with him, careful it doesn't end up worse!

Well it's worse, it's worse than Sendejo! Analyze that! Analytics folks, today.

THE KICKER! DID NOT MISS 4 KICKS TODAY! But the final WR! Was given a TWENTY FIVE YARD CUSHION!

When the Browns, Rushed for about a MILLION RUSHING YARDS!
AND THE TIGHT END HAS A 70 YARD BREAK AWAY TOUCHDOWN,

Most NFL teams could find a way to win. It's not Fair, to Kareem Hunt. It's not Fair, to Nick Chubb.
It's not even Fair to the backup offensive linemen, who, somehow, were adequate.

And don't tell me about the injuries to the Corner backs at the time. Because Guess What!

The Biggest Gaffs in the Deepest pass coverage appearences plays, Were with the Healthy guys in there, not with the Hurt guys on the sidelines.

Kyler Murray Next week!!

1-800-S.E.N.D.E.J.O. He's on another team it's too late now, play it safe! safe OhNo!

Actually, the Pass defense, Who knows, they are facing a whole other team and coaching staff and they sometimes make caring professionals look like keystone cops and maybe there is more to it banghead (But this is a 3 game set of obviously blown plays like this.)

I wonder if Plain Dealer lady can finaly stop talking about with assumption that this team would meet the Chiefs in the conference championship game. frown

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My postgame thoughts: Long version

I like Kevin Stefanski. He's not perfect but the dude is a helluva coach. We're lucky to have him and hope he sticks around a long time. He solves one half of the "Coach and a QB" combo. Play calling at the end today was a hot mess and he basically admitted as much, but he was dealing with an injured QB, 2nd string tackles and no WRs. I said before the game his play calling would be limited and it showed right there.

The Browns are a good team. We can hang with the Chiefs and the Chargers on the road. We can even win a game against a good team when we don't bring our A game (Vikings). But what we AREN'T is a great team. Great teams find ways to win these kind of games. We aren't there yet and IMO it's our QB and our defense that are keeping us from there.

Baker Mayfield is a good QB. He's a tough SOB. He plays hard. Good teammate. Good work ethic. He'll win you games (and has). He's the best QB we've had since our return. What's he's NOT is a franchise QB worth the farm in $$$. I guess that depends on what your definition of "franchise" is, but to me it's a guy who can put a team on his back, even when lacking talent around him, even when the chips are down, and will his team to wins they had no business getting. Without counting, my guess is there's only 10-12 "franchise" QBs in the NFL in any given year based on that definition. Baker isn't one of em. Call me when he puts us on his back and wins a big time game at the end with his brain and arm (and no beating the freaking Bengals last year doesn't count in my book). I'd resign him at a reasonable rate next year. He's going to want more than that. I'd let him walk. Kirk Cousins (or someone like him in that salary range) will do just as good as Baker with the running game we've got.

Our OLine is really good. Even with backups at tackle, they held their own against Bosa and a decent Chargers front. Their ability to both create holes for our RB and give Baker decent time is a thing of beauty to watch. We're lucky.

Our RB tandem is the best in the NFL and might be the best 1-2 combo I've seen in...I don't know how long. Chubb and Hunt are straight beasts.

Our TE group is underappreciated. The trio of Hooper, Njoku and Bryant may not get many pro bowls - but they all do things well. They can catch. They're REALLY good blockers. They can line up in multiple sets and disguise what we're doing on offense. They're a big part of what we do well.

Our WR group is Jarvis Landry and a bunch of JAGs. Yes that includes OBJ. Landry is the heart and soul of our offense. Does all the little things. Makes the big catches. We REALLY miss him. Higgins and DPJ are perfectly acceptable #3 and #4 options. Schwartz can run really fast and...well...did I mention he's fast? He's a rookie so I'll give him time but color me unimpressed with his effort, his route running, his hands, his awareness, his attention to detail. As for OBJ? If we had Landry I'd trade him for a ham sandwich tomorrow. We don't, so we won't, but his impact is nil (or negative) and we have 2 seasons of stats to back it up.

Our defense is...confusing. Myles Garrett is a beast. Clowney has shown up opposite him. Our DLine in general has been really good at both the run and the pass. JOK is going to be a stud at LB. I like the leadership Walker and Malcolm Smith bring. Sure would be nice if they were better players though. Rest of our LB are terrible. Our secondary has been sooooo inconsistent. Newsome, Ward, Greedy and Hill have all flashed at times and been beaten like a dog at times. Our safeties? Harrison (when he's not hurt or ejected) and Johnson have been HUGE disappointments. Delpit has been the best safety IMO but he's also gotten burnt bigly multiple times. So much talent and yet just wildly inconsistent results. This group gets a C-, would have been a C given the wild swings between A and F, other than I expected more from them.

We are beat up badly. Playing 2nd string OLine and 3rd string CB today showed. Great teams find ways to overcome. We aren't and we didn't.

I'll add - last week was encouraging in that we found a way to win without having to play our best. Reason: The defense was lights out.
This week we played really well on O but were too banged up and lost a game we should have won. Reason: The defense was terrible. Notice a theme?

Defense still wins championships because it travels and it keeps you in games. If we ever figure out how to put a consistent D together with our running game, then even an average Baker (or other QB) can take this team to the Super Bowl.

We've got 5-0 Arizona next week and with all our injuries I don't see a win. That's what made today's ending that much worse. Not only did we grab defeat from the jaws of victory - but with the combo of injuries and the Cards coming next - we basically lost two games today. That will put us at 3-3 going into a short week against the Broncos.

I still think we ultimately make the playoffs, and see us ending either 9-8 or 10-7. But we could very realistically be 3-4 after this stretch.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good point about our current health. Sadly, we now have two games in a week and will most likely be without some (if not all) of: Clowney, Ward, JOK, Conklin, and Wills. Not to mention other guys who were in and out of the game yesterday.

Given the current landscape of the AFC, our two losses to KC and LA are pretty major unfortunately.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why is anyone putting blame on the offence? We scored 42 points, plus 13 minutes time-of-possession, more total yards of offence, on-n-on. It is quite apparent where the problem is: injuries and defensive scheme. Is Woods asleep out there?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
It's not even that we throw it, though I understand that running is our bread and butter. It's that we go no back so often, there is no play action, not even a threat of the run, no screen passes.. we go straight drop back most of the time, which is not our strength.

You should have heard me in my living room when this was going on, Ski is right he needs to do better. The Browns IMO should never go empty backfield, never, ever, ever.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

You are no Sean Salisbury.

He knows what he is talking about. He played the position and a lifetime studying it.

Legend
Legend

Myles got held so many times.

McDowell was held.

This was the worst called game I have seen.

The play on Green look at where the official was.

He was looking right at the play. How could he miss that?

In addition how can guys be that open so many times? Herbert is a fine young qb. However, I might have made those throws. This is the NFL. You can not be 15 yards in the clear.

Fourth down conversions. What were we doing on defense?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

You are no Sean Salisbury.

He knows what he is talking about. He played the position and a lifetime studying it.

What he is trying to do here is remind everyone that he didn't want Baker and to let everyone know how smart he was for NOT wanting him.

That said he doesn't strike me as being smart (Rish) no matter how many times he tries.

I realize that Baker isn't perhaps ideal then again I don't think anyone is not named Tom Brady, and I suppose Rish if he had decided that we shouldn't have drafted Brady to start with would remind everyone that he didn't want Brady every time the team lost.

He has gone out of his way to inform all who will listen to his stupidity (and it is) that Baker hasn't shown he can carry the team.

Last season when we pulled out a last second win from Cincy someone else threw that ball to DPJ.

Then again it was Bakers fault we lost to the Raven's after he led the team down the field with less them 2 minutes remaining and scored in less the 50 seconds.

After a while it just becomes sickening that every time we lose a game it's Bakers fault no matter if it isn't. We lost yesterday because we had and have a boat load of injuries and due in no small part to repeated bad calls from the officials, that is why we lost. But not according to Rish it all falls on Baker.

I never cared to much for Rish he is one of those guys who shows up every time he can to put down a damned good team because he hates the QB, after a while you want to scream shut the hell up, your bias is sickening and really wrong on a lot of levels.

He is our QB get the hell over it..............

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
His take away from that game is bad coaching and Bakers fault.

Herbert was throwing to guys who were open by fifteen yards. And he is now a legend.

We give up 4 TD's in the fourth quarter.

Baker lost the game.

I was critical last week of Baker. He was critical of himself.

This game we scored 42 points. We have great runners. Baker does not call the plays.

Both starting tackles were out of the game.

His comment Baker is average.

Like that is the "all reason."

At this point riz has zero credibility. His agenda posting is so ridiculously obvious.

Last edited by bonefish; 10/11/21 07:54 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
That's either a Stefanski issue or a Baker issue.

Neither. It was an O-line issue.

Last edited by devicedawg; 10/11/21 08:12 AM.
Legend
Legend
i guess i didnt notice the O line play as anything but positive, seeing as how even with two backup OTs, they were dominating the LoS, and chubb/hunt was just doing whatever they wanted when they wanted.

and i really don't understand the baker hate. dude was wheeling and dealing the entire game. defensive injuries all over the place is the only reason this was a shootout. and it could've very well been a blowout if it wasn't for the refs.

guys, we just need to get healthy. get our OTs and jarvis back, get Clowney and ward back, and we're good to go.

this was easily the game of the week. a true battle of SB contenders.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

-Ronnie Harrison plays so erratic, you see why even the lowly Jags gave up on him...He seemed to be playing better last year, when not injured.

-JJ3...While playing at a very high level with the Rams he was the coverage safety (FS) and would slide over and play nickel corner as well. I know Woods claims our S's are interchangeable...But playing JJ3 out of position while handing out all that money, is questionable at best.

-Grant Delpit was flashing in prior weeks, but seemed lost often this week...He was late often to reads and reaction

-How does the D, leave one of the better WR tandems so wide open? Anthony Walker and JJ3 were known and touted for their strong abilities to read plays and to call the defensive adjustments or slides...Yet we are having more blown calls than even the year prior, despite being more talented at every level.

-JOK was the only LB I saw making plays, and he was playing hurt as well...

-McDowell is such a monster at times, def. flashes a lot and creates havoc inside...Malik Jackson is a good steady veteran, I saw him way out of the box a few times trying to hustle all out and make plays on Austin Ekeler.

-Obtaining injury prone players, really stings for this franchise (Ward, Greedy, Newsome, Delpit, Clowney, Harrison, OBJ)

I won't harp on the O...as they finally put up 42 points like we expected this offense to shine...Some oddities include spending all that money on OBJ and Hooper, and having so little to show forth. Njoku exploded, kudos to him...Do we trade him this year, and sell when he's hot? Or do we let him walk after this year...a lot of interesting factors to look into at the end of this year.

-This schedule looks rough this year, Arizona and all those WRS look scary (Hopkins, Kirk, AJ Green, Rondale Moore, heck even Isabella could damage us lol)

-Wonder what our injury report will look like...Good news, is we should have Landry and Newsome back possibly this week (god I hope so)

M
Legend
Legend
M

Just on this one topic and phrase - if he's said those exact words once, he's said those exact words 40 times in different posts since the start of the season. It's a deliberate and provocative repetition in my estimation. And just like some of the talking heads who have a massive bias - any discussion is superficially dressed up to try to look fair and balanced but it is only ever actually done from a negative and predetermined angle. Everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they want to share - this one seems carefully scripted and with only one goal. And apparently to address that and express your own opinion is to get labelled "emotional" ! LOL.

Baker certainly did enough to win the game yesterday. The whole of the offense did. On top of all the things you mentioned - Stefanski definitely choked and went into a conservative shell at the end of the game and played not to lose instead of stepping on their throats. *Apparently Stefanski's conservative play calling is also Baker's fault too, in case you missed it. Someone claims to know that KS doesn't trust Baker. . . .
*Edit - to add to a comment by another poster who I agree with - when they missed the extra point and gave us the 1 point lead it felt at the time like it was going to make us go conservative and give them the chance to win. It hurt instead of helped us.

We need to get healthy and stay healthy - we need improvement in lots of places including KS finishing some of these games off and no getting so predictable on play calling. There is time and I believe there is the ability to self correct and improve throughout the entire team.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/11/21 08:58 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

I'm actually going to agree with Rish on a few points.

I can see 100% that the Browns are teaching the gunslinger out of Baker. True or not, I dunno. I believe that they are trying to coach that offensive turnovers are inherently bad. Now, I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing.

But you look at his throws, he says the shoulder injury doesn't affect accuracy. Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. He's putting the ball in locations where the defense has NO chance to intercept the pass. The overthrows. The defense can't get there. Only our guy would have a chance. The ball to Schwartz yesterday was upsetting. Schwartz slowed up to find the ball. Had he kept running, that was the perfect pass and a should be completion.

I do think at some point we will unleash the beast. Looking at last year when Baker was "bad" the first 7 games he threw 15 TDs, and 7 INT. The final 9 games he threw 11 TDs and only 1 INT. Yes there was some bad weather. And I'm not trying to fuel Rish's absurd "Baker isn't the guy" take, but keep in mind Tom Brady never threw for more than 28 TDs and had double digit interceptions his first 6 years as a starter. Brees never threw more than 28 TDs, either. Not saying Baker is either guy, just trying to gain a perspective.

The notion that "Baker won't be here next year" is absolutely ludicrous. He's doing exactly what is asked of him. He can and has won games and carried the team on his back. To say he hasn't simply isn't true.

Baker will 100% be here next year. And he'll probably have a new contract.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We do seem to have an issue of when we go up somewhat big, we let the other team back in.

We were up 22-10 vs the Chiefs. Lost.
We were up 27-13 vs the Chargers. Lost.

Last year we were up 38-7 vs the Titans, but won 41-35.
Last year we were up 35-7 vs the Steelers in the playoffs, we won 48-37.

But Baker CAN carry a team. Last year vs the Ravens we were down 34-20 heading into the 4th quarter. We tied the game at 42 late only to lose on a Tucker 55 yd FG (and eventual safety).

T
Legend
Legend
T
If Higgins would have gotten that ball near the 30 at the sideline on the 3rd from final play. What would have been the next plays with near 14 seconds to go.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
All of Baker's throws were never downfield like Herbert.

What's crazy is that Baker used to make so many plus level throws. That was his calling card. It was exciting. High octane offense.

But Stefanski wants to be run heavy and low risk. He's pretty much coached Baker's best attribute out of him.

IIRC, he had 2 strikes for long scores (1 for sure to Njoku). People are also conveniently leaving out that we are down to our #4 and #5 OTs... so we want to dial up longer-developing plays when we have those guys blocking Bosa et al?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
People are also conveniently leaving out that we are down to our #4 and #5 OTs

For what is it worth our pass protection yesterday was fantastic. Three pressures allowed and zero sacks.

Quote:
Offensive Line
The Browns' offensive line played their best game in pass protection, as they combined to allow just three pressures and no sacks. Wyatt Teller and Jack Conklin were the only two linemen to play more than 20 pass-blocking snaps and allow zero pressures. Joel Bitonio was the best run-blocker on the team and is set to have the highest overall grade (77.4) among Browns' offensive linemen upon first review.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-5-game-recap-los-angeles-chargers-47-cleveland-browns-42

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As DC. mentioned " the empty backfield " is madding ! .. I go off the rails every time I see it... I'm not sure what the roll of our wide receivers play ? Baker is deadly when running a designed roll out pass play ; Hardly ever see it anymore ? We still scored 42 Points ..

Have not , nor am I now a fan of Woods .. Not very creative , refuses to blitz . You were not getting pressure with an less than healthy front four .. The scheme is designed not to give up the BIG play : Yet game after game we give up the big play + .. 17 game season , your going to have injury's and weather to deal with .. You have to be able to improvise ..

The ref. issue is just a sad state of affairs ! Bottom line is , you don't win many games giving up 47 points .. Reasons for a painful loss ' #1 Woods D , # 2 the Refs , #3 some questionable calling by Ski .. Just my Opinion .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
# 1 the Refs ,#2 Woods D , #3 some questionable calling by Ski .. Just my Opinion .

My take

Joe Thomas #73
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Just on this one topic and phrase - if he's said those exact words once, he's said those exact words 40 times in different posts since the start of the season. It's a deliberate and provocative repetition in my estimation. And just like some of the talking heads who have a massive bias - any discussion is superficially dressed up to try to look fair and balanced but it is only ever actually done from a negative and predetermined angle. Everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they want to share - this one seems carefully scripted and with only one goal. And apparently to address that and express your own opinion is to get labelled "emotional" ! LOL.

I think we all know another poster who used this EXACT same tactic, and stopped posting a year ago. Although I strongly expect he's still at it using other "socks" to this day.

O
Legend
Legend
O
One message that flashed up on the screen at the end of the game is that the D couldn't come up with a stop in any of the Chargers final 4 (FOUR) drives (not including kneeldown).

And we have a group of people that want to talk about the QB not being clutch. Defense needed to come up with 1 stop, and couldn't. Now I get that had the game gone on a little longer we might not have enough defenders out there to field a full D, but we also had our heady veterans gifting 2 long TDs on hilariously busted coverages.

Side note: Baker's stats at one point in the 3rd were better than Herbert's, but guess who was getting all the love? Take out the gift TDs, and... still probably wouldn't have made a difference. I wish I could bag on the talking heads, but we have "fans" on here with the same Cowherd-level hottakes.

It may feel like the sky is falling... I know I'm still a little angry... but it was one game where we had a lot going against us. Bad reffing is bad, but honestly those 2 worst calls (the DPI and the Tretter holds, while bad, weren't the worst bad calls I've seen).
I also wanted to bag on KS (maybe I will a little bit). I hated the 3 hail mary's, but we kinda botched the leadup to those 3 throws. I hated the 3rd down run, but Hunt made magic out of a similar play the week before. We were forced to put our #4 and #5 tackles out there. All of our starting corners except for Hill (the guy with a penchant for backbreaking penalties at the worst time) were injured.

I think what I'm most frustrated about is that many of the things we were worried about (Clowney and Ward injuries, bad reffing at the worst times, defensive brain farts leading to TDs, and an offense that seems to lose its magic at the end of games.

I'd also like to see our punt returners dance a lot less. I'd LOVE to see evidence of OBJ and him being open "all game". All I saw from him was one good catch and a HORRIBLE drop. FWIW, I still support him, and he's had a lot working against him during his time here... but the time is now to start showing something. Baker had no problem airing it out to Schwartz near the end, and he seemed to be connecting fine with Higgins for whatever was needed. Plus he had that ballsy shuffle pass to Hooper for the TD. I thought he made plenty of gutsy throws considering we were going against a team with a + pass rush with a REAL banged up line and QB.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we schemed with those 2 in mind. Take a look at this board right now, and tell me what you think it would look like if we got Baker crushed on a long-developing play behind backups-to-the-backups.

-PrplPplEater
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
MY analytics say it's time for AVP to call the plays.

Legend
Legend

Good post.

What matters to the Browns is what Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski believe.

A decision is coming at he end of this year. Either give Baker an extention. Franchise him. Or, go in another direction.

IMO the Browns organization, the coaches and players back Baker.

This season is still going to play out. What happens will obviously impact their thinking.

The Board can all have their opinions. We are all fans.

The mamangement of the Browns sees more. Knows more. And has all the data to back up their decision.

I have my own take. Others have theirs.

None of us makes decisions.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
One message that flashed up on the screen at the end of the game is that the D couldn't come up with a stop in any of the Chargers final 4 (FOUR) drives

They did the refs took it away.

Joe Thomas #73
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yesterdays game really bothers me for all the reasons that have been posted here. If you look at TOP and 230 yards rushing its inconceivable we lost this game. I didn't watch it but from what I've read the ref's really screwed us. I make jokes but I'm as hurt as anyone about how these games play out. We can make up for yesterday with a win next week against Arizona. We need a win after yesterday and one over a 5-0 Arizona team is just the thing.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Camryn Justice
@camijustice
#Browns LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, who was taken to a hospital for evaluation after the game with a throat contusion, was released last night and cleared to travel back to Cleveland this morning.

https://twitter.com/camijustice/status/1447553065335328773

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like to look at it like fantasy football. We scored 42 points. We would have beat every team in the NFL with 42 points except 3. We were just unlucky to have played one of them yesterday. If the schedule was different we could have beat 28 teams. tongue

Legend
Legend
Browns’ defensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 5

The defense couldn’t contain Justin Herbert, with the safeties blowing too many coverages.

By Chris Pokorny

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/10/11...nd-notes-week-5

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on defense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 5 game against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Defensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
DL Myles Garrett 60 80% 2 tackles (2 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 3 QH, 1 pass defended.
DL Malik Jackson 54 72% 1 assist (1 combined). 1 QH.
DL Malik McDowell 50 67% 1 tackle (1 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH, 1 FR.
DL Takk McKinley 43 57% 1 tackle (1 combined). 1 QH.
DL Joe Jackson 34 45% 2 tackles (2 combined).
DL Jordan Elliott 24 32% 1 assist (1 combined).
DL Andrew Billings 21 28% 1 assist (1 combined).
DL Ifeadi Odenigbo 16 21% 1 QH.

Myles Garrett was banged up a bit heading into this game, but finished with six pressures, a sack, and the team’s highest pass-rushing grade from PFF (80.5). He also defended one pass. On a two-point conversion, he got tripped up and fell down, allowing a quick connection to the tight end for the conversion.
Malik McDowell registered a sack and a fumble recovery.
With Jadeveon Clowney out, a mix of Takk McKinley and Joe Jackson took most of his replacement reps.
Andrew Billings saw a bit of an increased workload this week, perhaps due to McDowell coming in and out of the game to injury.

Linebacker
Pos Player Plays % Stats
LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 68 91% 3 tackles, 1 assist (4 combined). 1 FF.
LB Anthony Walker 55 73% 2 tackles, 4 assists (6 combined).
LB Sione Takitaki 17 23% 1 tackle, 2 assists (3 combined). 1 QH.
LB Mack Wilson 5 7% No stats registered.
LB Malcolm Smith 3 4% 1 tackle (1 combined).

I wonder if anyone else realized, just from watching the game, that Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah played in 91% of the snaps? That’s a career high for him, although he was taken to the hospital after the game with a throat contusion. This poor guy and his unconventional injuries (remember he had a weight fall on his head in training camp).
PFF says that JOK “played 39 coverage snaps and allowed two receptions for 12 yards, but neither reception led to a first down or touchdown.”
Anthony Walker returned from IR and immediately became a starter again, taking almost all of Malcolm Smith’s reps away. It was kind of frustrating to see that, because Smith seemed to be playing well and in a groove over these past two games, while Walker has seemed very blah in his two outings.

Cornerback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
CB A.J. Green 69 92% 4 tackles, 1 assist (5 combined). 2 passes defended.
CB Greedy Williams 61 83% 7 tackles, 3 assists (10 combined). 1 pass defended, 1 FF.
CB Troy Hill 55 73% 4 tackles, 1 assist (5 combined). 1 TFL.
CB Denzel Ward 9 12% 1 tackle (1 combined).

What a mess the cornerback situation was, due to injury. Greg Newsome was already out, and then Greedy Williams got dinged up early on. Williams returned, but then Denzel Ward left with his nagging neck injury and did not return. By the end of the game, the word was that Williams, Troy Hill, and M.J. Stewart (listed at safety) were also hurt.
Williams impressed me for the second week in a row. He was the team’s leading tackler, an aspect that is nice to see. He also forced a fumble. Per PFF, Williams “received the highest coverage grade at 82.4 despite allowing seven receptions for 43 yards.”
PFF chalked A.J. Green up to allowing 4 catches for 111 yards and 1 touchdown. I don’t know if they’re counting that first long blown coverage play on him, but I thought that mistake was on safety Grant Delpit, not Green. It sounds silly to say cornerbacks played well when your team allows 47 points, but I also thought Green did a solid job on the day.

Safety
Pos Player Plays % Stats
S John Johnson 75 100% 4 tackles (4 combined).
S Ronnie Harrison 75 100% 2 assists (2 combined). 1 pass defended.
S Grant Delpit 23 31% No stats registered.
S M.J. Stewart 7 9% No stats registered.

The safety play was disastrous this week. They are supposed to be preventing teams from going over the top, and yet they allowed two wide open touchdown passes to Mike Williams off of blown coverages. The first one appeared to be on Grant Delpit, with the second one on Ronnie Harrison, and then John Johnson III being frustrated both times that his counterparts left their responsibility.
Speaking of Johnson, though, he had yet another very underwhelming performance. Defensive coordinator Joe Woods needs to figure something out to get Johnson more in sync to have an impact defensively.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns’ offensive snap counts, stats, and notes: Week 5

Cleveland makes history on offense in a losing effort.

By Chris Pokorny

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/10/11...nd-notes-week-5

Below, we analyze the snap counts and stats on offense for the Cleveland Browns’ Week 5 game against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Quarterback
Pos Player Plays % Stats
QB Baker Mayfield 72 100% 23-of-32 (71.8%) for 305 yards, 2 TD. 2 rushes, 8 yards.

Baker Mayfield was much better this week with his performance, completing 71.8% of his passes, and that percentage would’ve been closer to 90% if it weren’t for the last drive where he clocked the ball and was throwing up long/Hail Mary passes.
A lot of the passes were short-range passes with receivers gaining yards after the catch. But Mayfield also completed downfield passes well too, and his decision-making remained on-point. With the help of the running game, Mayfield helped lead a scoring drive on nearly every drive that he possibly could. On the ones where he didn’t, what else could he do? The first one that comes to mind is the turnover on downs, a pass that he put on the money to Odell Beckham but was dropped. In the second half, two drives stalled back-to-back because of holding penalties that certainly can’t be put on Mayfield.

Running Back
Pos Player Plays % Stats
RB Nick Chubb 40 56% 21 carries, 161 yards (7.7 YPC), 1 TD. 1 catch, 9 yards (1 target).
RB Kareem Hunt 32 44% 12 carries, 61 yards (5.1 YPC), 2 TD. 5 catches, 28 yards (6 targets).
RB Andy Janovich 6 8% No stats registered.

Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt were outstanding, combining for over 200 yards rushing. It’s a damn shame to see a team run the ball as well as Cleveland did and not have a victory to show for it.
Per PFF, about 144 of Chubb’s 161 rushing yards came after contact. Chubb and Hunt combined to force 12 missed tackles.

Wide Receiver
Pos Player Plays % Stats
WR Odell Beckham 58 81% 2 catches, 20 yards (3 targets).
WR Donovan Peoples-Jones 49 68% 5 catches, 70 yards (6 targets).
WR Rashard Higgins 34 47% 3 catches, 29 yards (5 targets).
WR Anthony Schwartz 9 12% 0 catches (1 target).
WR Demtric Felton 3 4% No stats registered.

Odell Beckham saw the most reps at receiver, but was virtually a non-factor on the stat sheet on Cleveland’s explosive day of offense. Granted, I’m sure he drew some coverages — Rashard Higgins was wide open on his touchdown grab because two defenders shadowed Beckham — but that key fourth down drop in the first half looms large. It reminded me of when he dropped a fourth down pass against the Ravens in last year’s opener.
Donovan Peoples-Jones had his most active day of the season, catching 5 passes for 70 yards.
Anthony Schwartz had a shot at a long pass down the right sideline. Mayfield appeared to put the ball right on the money in stride, but Schwartz slowed up a tad as he was more busy trying to hand-fight with the trailing defensive back.
Demetric Felton played 3 snaps and was not targeted.

Tight End
Pos Player Plays % Stats
TE Austin Hooper 52 72% 1 2-point conversion.
TE David Njoku 46 64% 7 catches, 149 yards (7 targets), 1 TD.
TE Harrison Bryant 31 43% No stats registered.

Austin Hooper did not see a target during regular action, but caught a shuffle pass over the middle for a two-point conversion.
David Njoku had a breakout and career day, catching 7 passes for 149 yards and 1 touchdown, including a 71-yard catch-and-run. Njoku has been great for over a year now, and I’d love to see the Browns utilize the mismatches with him more often.
Harrison Bryant was flagged for one of the drive-killing holding penalties.

Offensive Line
Pos Player Plays % Stats
OL Blake Hance 72 100%
OL Joel Bitonio 72 100%
OL JC Tretter 72 100%
OL Wyatt Teller 72 100%
OL Jack Conklin 51 71%
OL James Hudson 21 29%

Blake Hance made his first career start and did a very admirable job, especially considering he was going up against Joey Bosa.
Per PFF, “the Browns’ offensive line played their best game in pass protection, as they combined to allow just three pressures and no sacks.”
PFF awarded the best pass-rushing grades of the game to RT Jack Conklin and RG Wyatt Teller. LG Joel Bitonio earned the best run-blocking grade in his 100th career start. It was also C JC Tretter’s 100th career game.
James Hudson came in relief for Conklin at right tackle, who left with a knee injury. Fingers crossed that Conklin’s injury isn’t too serious.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I'd LOVE to see evidence of OBJ and him being open "all game". All I saw from him was one good catch and a HORRIBLE drop. FWIW, I still support him, and he's had a lot working against him during his time here... but the time is now to start showing something. Baker had no problem airing it out to Schwartz near the end, and he seemed to be connecting fine with Higgins for whatever was needed.

This is just a thought...in the early times of OBJ being in Cleveland there was a fair amount of smoke about his penchant for "freelancing" routes.

If that is the case yet today and with OBJ's ability to drop simple passes...one might understand why a QB would chose to look at other options.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
guys, we just need to get healthy. get our OTs and jarvis back, get Clowney and ward back, and we're good to go.

Generally I agree with you but the injuries to the secondary is becoming a problem. We battled them all year last year and it has started again this year. We can't expect to remain competitive with 3 or 4 starting DBs out on a rotating basis. No team is deep enough to be able to do that.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I'd LOVE to see evidence of OBJ and him being open "all game". All I saw from him was one good catch and a HORRIBLE drop. FWIW, I still support him, and he's had a lot working against him during his time here... but the time is now to start showing something. Baker had no problem airing it out to Schwartz near the end, and he seemed to be connecting fine with Higgins for whatever was needed.

This is just a thought...in the early times of OBJ being in Cleveland there was a fair amount of smoke about his penchant for "freelancing" routes.

If that is the case yet today and with OBJ's ability to drop simple passes...one might understand why a QB would chose to look at other options.

I think it's ironic that we have a contingent that says our offense doesn't look as good with OBJ because Baker focuses on him too much... and another that says he's open all the time and Baker won't throw him the ball.... somebody is wrong. Or maybe both are wrong, since Baker had a really good day yesterday, the offense was clicking, and we put up 42 points with OBJ on the field.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
The Chargers entered the game with the #1 pass defense in the league, and a sieve against the run. We ran beautifully, and we passed more than effectively. Unfortunately, they got the won.

Mayfield, and the offense, played well enough to get the win. They put up 42 points, and that should be enough. Unfortunately, the defense had a rash of injuries, and some seriously horrible miscommunications on 2 broken plays that turned into Chargers TDs. (and 47 points) It could have been worse, if the Chargers hadn't missed a gimme FG, and 2 (IIRC) XP.

Tough game on the West Coast. Hopefully the Browns and their coaches learn from it, and don't make the same mistakes again.

Just as the defense, rightly, received credit for the last 2 wins, they get the blame for this loss. You cannot give up 47 and expect to win many games. They can't blame it on the offense turning the ball over, because we won the turnover battle, 1-0. The offense didn't allow the Chargers to go 3-3 on 4th down, even deep in their own territory, and once on something like 4th and 9. The defense was hit with a bunch of injuries, but the miscommunication stuff is extremely worrisome. It has to stop. You cannot leave receivers so wide open that I might have been able to get them the ball.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Read a stat, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, Baker Mayfield has lost 3 times when putting up 42+ points. No other QB in NFL history has had that happen more than once.

yebat' Putin
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 42 Chargers 47 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard