Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
T
Legend
Legend
T
Jed Wills was in a commercial.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Honestly I am over all the Baker talk.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Just keep that in perspective.

It is an opinion.

Baker is a classic overachiever. He has come a long way from humble beginnings.

He is fighter who has had to claw his way to the NFL. Then he faced the history of this franchise.

He has played hurt. He plays to win. He is a leader and a great teammate who has the respect of his team and coaches.

I am glad he is a Cleveland Brown.

When you listen to the coaches and the players who have played with him. They all believe in him.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. They are just opinions.
In my opinion. A lot went wrong when the team decided to use a 3rd round pick on A. Schwartz as a WR, who though very fast, with a track speed record, was not the most pronounced, polished, wr in all aspects of producing in college.
Then, what went wrong on the play that Baker Mayfield was injured on. There was talk that Schwartz didn t do something, and it may have lead to the int. and Mayfield injured his shoulder attempthing a tackle, which isn't necessary if there is not a player returning an interception.
Now, it s not Schwartz s fault they drafted him. It s also not Schwartz fault he was in the game, because if you are a football player and you get drafted and put in the game, you go play. Somebody decided not only to draft Schwartz, but also to not bench him for the whole year I suppose, and those decision makers are never allowed to be questioned. no??

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Jed Wills was in a commercial.

And now he's injured!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Did Schwartz steal your lunch money or something? Every single thing that is brought up about this team's troubles, lead you to mention drafting Schwartz. Give it a break, it is as stale as most of your takes.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

So, there is this.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
2 members like this: Moxdawg, mac
O
Legend
Legend
O
The folks that have put the theory ahead that KS is trying to turn Mayfield into Cousins should expect Keenum to do well tonight.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by oobernoober
The folks that have put the theory ahead that KS is trying to turn Mayfield into Cousins should expect Keenum to do well tonight.

Good point. Keenum was Cousins before Cousins. I absolutely think Keenum can be serviceable and run this offense well enough to win a couple games. What I don't think he can do is win it without any RB, WR or OT. Keenum might be better than an injured Baker but either one of them are going to get battered and bruised tonight IMO. It's why I said I thought Baker should sit before it was announced.

Now if Case pulls this off, all bets are off. He's led a team to a conference championship game before (Baker hasn't). If he figures out how to beat a top defense with zero weapons around him when Baker has failed WITH those weapons...uh oh. That's not a Rich Eisen conspiracy theory that's what would be called a fact.

But again, I expect him to do well but we still lose so all this is moot. Baker will be back.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a good point about the injury situation (depleted Oline and missing starters at RB). I reject the idea that starting Keenum is akin to throwing in the towel because (IMO) that begs the question of why we have him as one of (if not the most) well-paid backup QBs currently in the NFL. Dude doesn't get paid that much if it still means guaranteed losing if he has to play.... but you make a good point about the injury situation around him. Regardless of who is under center, our missing guys just might be too much for anyone to overcome. I guess we will see, but my view is that if we can miraculously clean up the stuff we can control that has been holding us back, we should be in decent enough shape vs Denver.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Good point. We’ll see what transpires

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Spot on Rich. I can hear the Haters warming up now...

All Pro
All Pro
I've had the exact injury that Mayfield has now. Happened during an exhibition judo match. They put my shoulder back in place and I finished the thing left handed. The pain was incredible. I didn't cry but one of the guys working on the mats got sick when he saw how they put my shoulder back. When I finally went to the ER for an X-ray the doc there was just speechless about the whole thing. It was a good three weeks before I was able to take part in any throwing at all and almost six months before I was able to lay off the Motrin. I was back in the dojo a few days after the injury just working on my mobility and doing therapy. It still bothers me, five years later. I had to re-work some of my techniques to accommodate the fact that my right shoulder didn't work the same way after my spectacular landing that night.

My point is this. I just don't see how Mayfield could put on a pair of shoulder pads right now. Much less how he could contemplate getting an NFL player hitting him. I'm going with three weeks from the time of the injury before we see him again. This is not a case of just sucking it up and rubbing a little dirt on it. If it was his throwing arm he would most likely be ruined for good. He'll bounce back. And so will the Team.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
3 members like this: AZBrown, PrplPplEater, TrooperDawg
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Jeep I 'm glad you shared that. All the people dumping on Baker right now should read your post including the ones knocking him on the national sports shows. Maybe all the people critiquing him should experience the injury like you did and see what they think after that. No one knows what anything is like until they experience it themselves.

Legend
Legend
What's funny to me is that if he crumbled in the pain and didn't play, the narrative would be "wow, his shoulder must be really bad". Since he's toughed it out, everybody is on the "well, it must not be too bad" train. Makes no sense.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: WSU Willie, Brown to the Bone
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I have been saying this since he was injured. I had same injury on throwing arm - dislocated shoulder with torn labrum and rotator cuff.

The humerus bone will continue to pop out of the tear in the labrum when he lands on it or attempts to do anything with overhand motion. It requires surgery to repair - thankfully it is not his throwing arm or his career would be in jeopardy.

Legend
Legend
Just heard baker has a broken bone as well... he'll be out for several weeks with that most likely...

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by jaybird
Just heard baker has a broken bone as well... he'll be out for several weeks with that most likely...

So he’s out out.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We are hosed.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Says online it take 3 to 4 months to heal

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
That’s a season breaker

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
But If true why didn't they put him on IR?

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
But If true why didn't they put him on IR?

They said they were to see what happened once swelling went down.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
If he was still out there chucking the ball with a torn labrum AND a fracture of the humerus...dang. I know it's not his throwing side but I'm amazed he could even hand the ball off with his left side. But it gives some hope that his return won't be as long-term as we might think. Unfortunately I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night though.

Anxiously awaiting how Stefanski will portray this development.

Edit: Just heard that it's a "non-displaced" fracture, which will not change Baker's time line to play the 31st against the Steelers.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 10/22/21 07:07 AM.
Legend
Legend
I still need baker to be consistent with his mechanics and stop throwing high and wide.

As far as my take on him and OBJ, however, I was clearly wrong. I dunno if it’s a mental block or what, but OBJ needs to be headed somewhere else.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Doesn't say which months, like say March, April, May perhaps. Heal!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know this has been said or asked but I've never understood the reasoning!
I'd love to know why Browns fans that don't like Baker really don't like him?
I'm 55 and the Browns have always been my team! Chubb is my favorite player and realize the offense runs through him so I'm not a Baker homer but I believe I stand with the majority in liking Baker Mayfield.
I get so tired of the Browns fans who's favorite player is the backup QB or the next great Rookie QB in next year's draft. I believe Baker is not just good enough but that he probably will end up being the best QB the Browns have ever had but to some there has to be someone better. I just do not understand it!!

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Pardon the long thread of tweets/video....

1 member likes this: Moxdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I Love Rich Eisen

Last edited by Moxdawg; 10/22/21 06:46 PM.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
I am guessing based upon what has been published regarding Baker's shoulder.

He will miss the Steeler game and play the Bengals.

That will allow the swelling to calm down.

After returning to play it becomes a management deal. The likelihood of another separation
is high. If that happens he is done for the year.

Not an easy call to shut him down now. He will want to play. Further damage will mean he will have a longer recovery time.

The decision? Who makes it? Berry? Stefanski? Baker? The doctors?

The medical staff will give management a full report. They will explain pros and cons of continuing to play.

They may have a recomendation but will leave the decision to them. Unless the evidence makes it clear he should get the surgery asap.

It is Baker's shoulder. However, Berry and Stefanski will not risk a career ending situation for this year.

E
Legend
Legend
E
My problem is that Baker is not the QB Ski wants...oh he is trying very hard to be that guy. But it just isn't him. Ski is going to have to give. Baker thrives on going NO HUDDLE and spread the D and yet we haven't seen that in quite a while.
Just remember back when Baker was a rookie and he was 20 TD and -0- INT in red zone. That was all no huddle Baker type of game. Ok while we are being conservative with our running game and no mistakes fine. But I'm sorry those games where we are in a shoot em out situation We got to see us in that NO huddle format. Last game I saw us in that format was the shoot em out game vs. Bengals and Burrows. Unfortunately too often we got the lead and end up Run Run and then pass on 3rd and 7 Letting our opponents back into the game. Those two games, Chiefs and Chargers didn't work out.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: devicedawg
D
Legend
Legend
D
Please explain to me the 2nd half of last year bro … Ski didn’t seem to be a detriment to Bake for the entire 2nd half of the season .. Bake actually thrived …

U very well could be right that Bake excels in the hurry up - no huddle scenarios but to say Ski is trying to turn him into something he’s not … the 2nd half of last year under Ski, Bake was as good as he’s ever been …

Please explain cause for the life of me I can’t figure it out …

B
Legend
Legend
B
The decision? Who makes it? Berry? Stefanski? Baker? The doctors?

The answer in order is, Doctors, head coach, player.

To me the only real decision the player can make is if he goes to the coach and says he can't play. If the player says he can play but one of the doctors or coach says he can't or isn't, the player is going to sit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ski is going to have to give.

No he doesn't.

I don't disagree with most of what you said except the part quoted. Ski wants a controlled, win the time of possession type offense, so Ski doesn't have to change. He has that type of QB on the bench.

That is why I think there is a decent chance we don't elect to go with Baker moving forward. I hope we do but I won't be shocked if we go with Keenum for a year or two as we draft and groom his eventual replacement.

We will get a good idea if Keenum continues to get starts a few weeks down the road. It will be easy to sit Baker next week, and we probably should, but after that?

Baker should be feeling a bit uneasy at this point. He will probably say he is good to go even if his arm was falling off because he knows that if Ski and Keenum get their mojo going, a mojo that has happened before, he might be done in Cleveland.

You have to look at money in this equation. To sign Baker it will probably take $38 or so mil a year. To get Keenum inked for 3 more years you are probably talking $15 mil a year. If you feel you can win either way, it's stupid to pay near 40 when you can get it done for 15.

Just the reality of the situation.

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
sounds like we should be on the phone with seattle. russell wilson would be a perfect fit here if thats the case.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You have to look at money in this equation. To sign Baker it will probably take $38 or so mil a year. To get Keenum inked for 3 more years you are probably talking $15 mil a year. If you feel you can win either way, it's stupid to pay near 40 when you can get it done for 15.
But did you see the Noodle Arm? I don't believe the whole 17 points we scored was an anomaly, we scored 29 and 42 against the Chiefs and Chargers and lost. Do you really think we'll score enough to win games going forward with Keenan? You have to realize the 42 points was with a bad shoulder. We finally have the offense we've wanted since we've been back and you think they'll blow it up to go with noodle arm and draft his replacement. That's the "WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR MENTALITY"

1 member likes this: superbowldogg
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Baker Mayfield needs 4-6 months to recover from shoulder surgery if it doesn’t get worse, surgeon says; Fracture is non-displaced

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...worse-noted-orthopedic-surgeon-says.html

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Legend
Legend
Keenum is fine .....if you want a guy who throws short quickly, and almost never takes a look for a big play. Even when he does look for a big play, it seldom is accurate. We won, mainly because of DJ, and because the defense played a solid game.

Do you really trust Keenum to make a big play when needed? I don't. I trust him to be carried along if we have a big game running the ball, making a few short passes along the way. Do you have any confidence in him putting up 21, 27, or more? I sure don't.

He's a decent backup, but I think that's it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: Moxdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You also have to look at do you think Jimmy Haslam going to wait while they roll the dice on another QB. They're not paying Josh Allen money but Buffalo shouldn't have paid Josh Allen money. I don't think Baker will want to break the bank, he wants to win and I honestly don't understand why any QB would want paid top dollar at the expense of the team. I know there'll be posters that say everyone wants the big pay day but Baker has insurance (Progressive) so it's not like he's hurting for money. Like Chubb, do you think that was all he could've got? He probably signed whatever they threw in front of him and wasn't worried about getting the last couple dollars!

Last edited by Moxdawg; 10/23/21 10:45 AM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Ski wants a controlled, win the time of possession type offense, so Ski doesn't have to change. He has that type of QB on the bench.

That is why I think there is a decent chance we don't elect to go with Baker moving forward. I hope we do but I won't be shocked if we go with Keenum for a year or two as we draft and groom his eventual replacement.

We will get a good idea if Keenum continues to get starts a few weeks down the road. It will be easy to sit Baker next week, and we probably should, but after that?

Baker should be feeling a bit uneasy at this point. He will probably say he is good to go even if his arm was falling off because he knows that if Ski and Keenum get their mojo going, a mojo that has happened before, he might be done in Cleveland.

JMO

Your reality. Nothing happens anymore without a good conspiracy theory. So if Baker doesn't play after the next few weeks it has nothing to do with his injury? It could only possibly mean that Stefanski is seeing if he can replace Baker with Keenum? Really?

notallthere

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Ski wants a controlled, win the time of possession type offense, so Ski doesn't have to change. He has that type of QB on the bench.

JMO

Your reality. Nothing happens anymore without a good conspiracy theory. So if Baker doesn't play after the next few weeks it has nothing to do with his injury? It could only possibly mean that Stefanski is seeing if he can replace Baker with Keenum? Really?

notallthere

I don't think conspiracy means what you think it means.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield Part IV A New Hope

Link Copied to Clipboard