Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
I do not like this. He’s going to get paid so much money.

1st String
1st String
That ish was beautiful!!!!!

1st String
1st String
That bs flag did all of this smh

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Uh oh.

MLB News Network
@newsnetworkmlb
Paul DePodesta is seen as the lead candidate for the #Mets GM vacancy.

MLB News Network
@newsnetworkmlb
DePodesta is also seen as a candidate for the #Mets president of baseball operation opening. John Daniels is another candidate for that vacancy.

https://twitter.com/newsnetworkmlb/status/1447206747542786050
stay Depo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
I've pretty much had it with the NFLs' bias's.

The Titans! Could Go 5-7 in their next 12 games, and coast on to a home field playoff game.

The Browns, realistically, have to go 8-4 in their next 12 games, and still will likely miss the playoffs altogether.

That Reality! Is Incredibly unjust!

And the NFL hates Ohio! And the NFL hates Cleveland! and the NFL offices are in New York! and New York sucks!

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Cleveland Browns: Rookie LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah hospitalized with throat contusion
ByCHANCE LINTON Oct 10, 8:09 PM

Cleveland Browns linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah was taken to a local hospital after sustaining a throat contusion in the team’s 47-42 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday afternoon at SoFi Stadium.

The Browns announced after the game that Owusu-Koramoah was taken to the hospital as a precaution to undergo further evaluation. The former Notre Dame standout finished the game with four total tackles.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...sion-172865871/

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 10/11/21 11:35 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Any updates on Hospital Ward? Is it something more serious than a stiff neck?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Daryl Ruiter
@RuiterWrongFAN
#Browns roster moves: OL Chris Hubbard (triceps), FB Andy Janovich (hamstring) and S M.J. Stewart (hamstring) to IR. DE Joe Jackson & FB Johnny Stanton IV to active roster from practice squad. CB Tim Harris activated from practice squad/COVID-19. T Alex Taylor signed to PS.

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1447968333203218436

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Any updates on Hospital Ward? Is it something more serious than a stiff neck?

Last I heard they're awaiting MRIs for Conklin, Greedy, and Ward...and it seems lately we've been finding out on Wednesdays. But praying for some good news, because the injuries have been horrid.

Legend
Legend
We need ward and Greedy this week against their passing game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
No Arizona Cardinals forum yet, so I'll put this here ...

92.3 The Fan reporting that Cardinals' Chandler Jones tested positive for Covid-19 today.

(Looking for Twitter / link)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...9-reserve-list/

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
That will help a banged up Browns offensive line this Sunday.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Bodes well for keeping Baker upright, as well as our run game. He needs 2 negative tests, 24 hours apart, to be cleared if he's vaccinated. If he's not vaccinated, he's out for 10 days.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Looks like he's vaccinated, so there's a chance he plays.

Chuck Harris
@chuckh3
Yes. Since he is vaccinated, Chandler Jones will need to have 2 negative tests within a 24-hour period in order to come of the reserve list.

https://twitter.com/chuckh3/status/1448027493747728384

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My guy is back on the Team.. . T Alex Taylor signed to PS.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
My guy is back on the Team.. . T Alex Taylor signed to PS.
this is good IMO I agree

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
. T Alex Taylor signed to PS..Had really good Pre Season with us , thought he out played Hudson

O
Legend
Legend
O
Usual plug: subscription to The Athletic is money well spent. I highly recommend it.
This article kinda boils down a lot of what we've already discussed. I generally enjoy their writers' takes.

https://theathletic.com/2880574/2021/10/...campaign=601983

Upon further review of the game, snap counts and some advanced stats, here are 26 observations — one for every fourth-quarter point allowed by the Browns — from the wild Browns-Chargers game last Sunday …

1. The Browns failed to close the game, and shaky game-management decisions are atop the list of things that went wrong. While there has been much talk about the Browns’ handling of their final two possessions — and there will be more below — there was another call in the fourth quarter that came back to bite them.

Right after the controversial pass interference with just over nine minutes left and the Browns up 35-28, the Chargers were flagged for ineligible man downfield during a first-down pass that fell incomplete. The Browns accepted the penalty, giving the Chargers first-and-15 instead of second-and-10. But the Chargers were rolling at that point, so all accepting the penalty did was give L.A. another play. The extra play mattered as Justin Herbert threw to Keenan Allen for 20 yards on fourth-and-8, and on the next play, the Chargers scored.

Each team scored again in the final 7:24 after that touchdown, so it’s not like one play decided it. But the Browns were pretty clearly struggling defensively by that point, and extending that drive by choice just extended their misery.

2. Four minutes later came the one that’s been widely discussed and dissected. The Chargers scored but missed the extra point, and the Browns got the ball back with a one-point lead. After running for a yard, throwing incomplete on a straight dropback by Baker Mayfield, then gaining 3 yards on a draw to Kareem Hunt, they punted.

“In hindsight, I definitely wish I did something different (there),” Stefanski said Monday. “This is where I have to put our guys in positions to succeed, and I did not do that there. I am sick about it. Definitely got too wrapped up in the previous play call with the clock stopping and how that unfolded. Again, I have to put our guys in position, and I can’t do that to our team.”

3. Did the Browns think about going for it on fourth down on that drive because they knew they were pretty much powerless to get a stop? Should that have maybe factored into the play calling in that spot?

“I think hindsight always is going to cause me to look at those decisions and think about what I can do to come through for our team, so I will look at all of those things,” Stefanski said.

4. Then there was the last drive, where the Browns only moved 21 yards because they started with three short passes. There was too much dink and dunk in that situation, and they were out of timeouts because they’d used them before allowing the Chargers to score on the previous drive. The Browns defense pushed Austin Ekeler into the end zone in an attempt to save time.

“We had a four verticals (play) called that we checked it down to Kareem,” Stefanski said of the start of that drive. “Then it was a third-and-1 where we were aggressive to Kareem in the flat to try and get the first (down). That is the truth of it. The first goal of that drive was to make sure that we are in location to throw a Hail Mary. Obviously, we would love to get as close as possible to do that. That is what happened there.”

5. Monday, Stefanski was also asked if his play calls late in the first and on that penultimate series showed a lack of trust in the passing game.

“I do not think it sends that message,” he said. “I talked to the offense about those calls. That first one, (we’re) trying to really help the field goal kicker. Third-and-longer when you get in the red zone and you limit the amount of space you have becomes difficult. We had a good run that really helped the field goal there. I would just tell you I have to do a better job, bottom line.”

6. Yes, the aforementioned fourth-down pass-interference call on A.J. Green in the fourth quarter was shaky — and probably was offensive interference on Mike Williams if it was anything. Yes, there was clearly illegal contact against Donovan Peoples-Jones on second-and-9 with three minutes left that went uncalled. Yes, Myles Garrett was held for most of the day. The Browns have a right to be angry about the officiating.

The Browns also got nothing out of their final two possessions, twice completely lost Williams for easy touchdowns and allowed the Chargers to convert three other fourth downs in the second half. Each team had opportunities, and through varied circumstances, the Chargers took better advantage of theirs.

7. Monday, Stefanski was asked about the officiating and specifically about Mayfield and Garrett choosing to publicly criticize the officiating after the game.

“I would just tell you, I am never going to rely — and we as a team are not going to rely — on the officials,” Stefanski said. “In the moment, whether something gets called or does not get called, I have to move on and make sure I give the guys a chance to succeed.” Later, he said, “We talked about (the calls). I will obviously — like we do every week — have a discussion with the league on some of these plays. Listen, they are not going to get every play right, and I am certainly not going to call every play right and we are not going to execute every play right. It is going to be imperfect, but for our team, we are not going to leave it in the hands of the officials. We control a lot of that game, and we need to do better.”

8. Before the final drive, Mayfield’s average depth of target (aDOT) for the day was just 5.2 yards. Upon rewatching the game, throwing mostly short seemed to be the game plan for a bounce-back performance against a Chargers defense that prefers to give up rushing yards and short passes rather than risk giving up big plays. Below are various TruMedia passing charts, first for the entire season and then split into before and after Mayfield suffered the partially torn labrum in Week 2 versus the Texans. Outside of the strong performance and hitting a few intermediate to deep balls against the Chiefs in the season opener, there’s not a lot of noticeable difference. In fact, Mayfield’s aDOT for the first two games was 8.4 yards, and over the last three games, it has been 10.0.

9. Odell Beckham Jr. played 58 snaps, the most among Browns receivers. He caught his final two targets after dropping his first. The game rewatch showed there were multiple times that Mayfield did not look Beckham’s way on straight dropbacks — whether that’s by design or not, we don’t know. This is an offense that has a lot of talented options and one that thrives on being unpredictable, so Beckham could still end up making some big plays. But three games into his comeback, it’s hard to say exactly what Beckham’s role is — and it’s impossible to defend his fourth-down drop in the first half.

10. “There were a couple of opportunities, but the coverage took the quarterback elsewhere,” Stefanski said. “That is really the simple answer to it. We just have to make sure that we find ways to get (Beckham) the ball and all of our guys the ball. We have a bunch of different guys that can do something with the ball in their hands. I think about David (Njoku) making some really big plays with the ball in his hands, so we will continue to do that.”

11. It was the biggest game of Njoku’s career. Mayfield threw a well-placed bullet over the middle in the fourth quarter, which Njoku jumped to secure. After Njoku stepped out of the tackle attempt by Nassir Adderley, almost all of the Chargers’ closest defenders were on the other side of the field on what became a 71-yard touchdown. Njoku also went 31 yards on a quick screen to open the Browns’ second drive.

12. Per Pro Football Focus, Njoku played 30 snaps as an inline tight end, 13 in the slot and three as a wide receiver. He has lined up for multiple snaps as a wide receiver in four of the five games, and his ability to move around the formation can continue to serve the Browns well if he’s going to continue to confidently catch the ball. Stefanski moves all three tight ends around the formation at times, but Njoku is by far the best athlete and most dangerous intermediate to deep threat of the bunch. After playing 71 total snaps in Weeks 1-2, Njoku’s snap counts in the last three games have been 50, 52 and 46, respectively, and in one tight end personnel groupings versus the Chargers, TruMedia had Njoku getting 20 snaps to Austin Hooper’s 18. For the first time since 2018, he’s a full-time player.

13. Nick Chubb is freakishly good. The rewatch confirmed what we already knew: that guys who play at 230-ish pounds are not supposed to be able to explode in and out of cuts the way Chubb does.

14. As you’d expect, the Pro Football Focus grades for the Browns secondary were mostly awful. Troy Hill got a 39.2. Ronnie Harrison, who’d been having a strong season before Sunday, got a 36.6. Grant Delpit, who got caught looking the wrong way on Williams’ first long touchdown catch, got a 26.6. Greedy Williams left in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury but got an 82.9 coverage grade for his 47 coverage snaps. Denzel Ward left after nine snaps with a neck injury, leaving Green to play a career-high 69 snaps. Green’s overall PFF grade was 66.9.

15. Though it’s debatable on some plays whether there was any pass coverage at all, TruMedia had the Browns playing zone coverage on 77 percent of the snaps and man coverage on 18 percent.

16. What happened on those big plays?

“Obviously when guys get that open, the answer is it always is a miscommunication,” Stefanski said. “That is what happened. We had poor communication out there a couple of times. We have to get lined up, get the calls and execute the defense. You never know when it is going to hurt you, and it was unfortunate that we had some miscommunication back there. We have to work real hard at fixing that.”

17. Of all the things that went wrong for the Browns, their makeshift offensive line did a solid job on Chargers Pro Bowl pass rusher Joey Bosa. Blake Hance made his first NFL start at left tackle, and rookie James Hudson replaced Jack Conklin at right tackle after he suffered a knee injury in the fourth quarter. Bosa, who had been dominant in the first four games, was credited with just two quarterback pressures and got a season-low 52.0 pass-rush grade from Pro Football Focus. PFF graded the Browns offensive line as allowing just five pressures and zero sacks.

18. What’s ahead for the Browns offensive line might be more complicated. Conklin got an MRI on his knee, the results of which were unknown as of Tuesday morning. Hance was starting in place of Jedrick Wills Jr., who has been dealing with a lingering ankle injury. Veteran backup tackle Chris Hubbard has opted for season-ending surgery on the triceps injury he suffered in Week 1, so even if Conklin hasn’t suffered a major injury, the Browns are going to have to scramble for backup options — and might have to press Hudson into full-time action this week.

They’ve tried to bring along some long-term projects at tackle (outside of Hudson) in the last two training camps, but injuries have derailed those projects. Michael Dunn would be an emergency tackle option, but for now, he’s the backup center because Nick Harris is on injured reserve. The Browns had no player listed as a tackle on the practice squad the last two weeks, probably because they’ve been carrying 10 active offensive linemen and because Hubbard had returned to practice. But with Hubbard now on injured reserve and Wills, center JC Tretter and now Conklin dealing with injuries, reinforcements are going to be needed.

19. The Browns made five roster moves Tuesday afternoon: Hubbard, fullback Andy Janovich and utility defensive back M.J. Stewart were all placed on injured reserve, while fullback Johnny Stanton and defensive end Joe Jackson were called up from the practice squad. Jackson had been playing in every game but was cut last week before being re-signed to the practice squad and elevated to the active roster for the game. With Jadeveon Clowney out, Jackson played 34 snaps and Ifeadi Odenigbo made his season debut and played 16 snaps at defensive end. Stewart was one of four players who needed MRIs after Sunday’s game, but it’s too early to read too deeply into Stewart being immediately placed on IR as it may or may not relate to the other injury situations.

20. Clowney was limited through practice last week for maintenance reasons and because he has been dealing with an elbow injury, but Stefanski said it was knee soreness in pregame warmups that caused him to miss the game. Add that Garrett was dealing with lower-body soreness last week, and the Browns are going to have to continue to manage their pass rushers. Takk McKinley had an active day with three credited pressures and played a season-high 43 snaps.

21. As noted above, the other three players who needed MRIs after the game in L.A. were Conklin, Ward and Williams. With two games in the next nine days, the Browns have a potential crisis situation at cornerback with Greg Newsome II (calf) having missed the last two games and the last two weeks of practice. Williams has been solid in his two starts. Stewart’s injury would leave the Browns in need of a new emergency cornerback option even if the rest of the group was healthy, so we’ll have to await further updates.

22. Green is big (6-foot-2) and fast, and the Browns kept him on the practice squad last season because he’s talented but, well, green. His speed has shown up on kickoff coverage all season, and after getting targeted on his only defensive snap in Minnesota in Week 4, he saw his first extensive cornerback duty last week. It’s no secret that he’ll continue to be targeted if he plays, and given the Cardinals’ spread-based attack, every available defensive back this week figures to see significant action. While Green was far from perfect, his showing against the Chargers has to be good for his confidence and the team’s confidence in him, and if he can continue to develop, he could be a keeper. It has only taken six weeks for the adage that every team needs at least six cornerbacks to again be proven true.

23. The Browns would ideally keep Troy Hill at slot cornerback. Even on a tough day for the secondary against the Chargers, Hill’s tackling ability on quick screens and short passes to the flats showed up. Hill was never a full-time slot cornerback until last season so he can move outside when needed, but the Browns think his ability to diagnose plays shows up best when he’s in the slot. Again, the Browns are going to be playing five or six defensive backs almost the entire game versus the Cardinals.

24. Rookie linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah was taken to a local hospital for observation and didn’t fly home with the team after suffering a throat contusion on Sunday. Owusu-Koramoah tweeted Monday that he was doing fine, but his status for the week ahead remains uncertain. Owusu-Koramoah has continually impressed with his closing speed, and he has become a full-time player. The Browns need him to continue to produce and develop, especially given the injury-related uncertainty facing the defense at all three levels. Owusu-Koramoah had five tackles in 68 snaps against the Chargers.

25. The Browns didn’t punt in the first half. That’s always a good thing, and it has become an important thing because punter Jamie Gillan has not been good. He’s averaging 41.8 yards per punt on the season, which is 28th in the league among players with at least 13 punts and 32nd overall. His two short punts in the second half did not help a reeling defense.

“Obviously, we want to punt better,” Stefanski said. “He needs to be better, and he knows that.”

26. Rookie Demetric Felton remains the punt returner, and Felton’s offensive role in this game was limited as he played just three offensive snaps. Felton has been replaced as the kickoff returner by fellow rookie Anthony Schwartz, who has world-class speed but no previous experience returning kicks. The Browns wanted to get Schwartz some experience in the return game in training camp, but he missed most of camp with a hamstring injury. For now, look at this switch as a way for the Browns to keep both involved.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
https://twitter.com/joelsherman1/status/1448320805079822338?s=21

Summary:

DePodesta isn’t leaving the Browns.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We currently have one of the worst punters in the league.

https://twitter.com/thepuntrunts/status/1447907481750024197?s=21

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, that's crazy. He showed so much promise, too. I remember when he beat out Colquitt, too, and he's obviously a very legit punter.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I'm not sure he actually beat out Colquitt so much as it was the Browns didn't want to pay a punter $2.5M when they could pay Gillan $500k.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I rewatched the game last night.

Note to Odell.. You have to catch the ball on a two yard completion on 4th down when the ball is hit you right between the numbers. Baker can't trust you. This happened last year as well.

Green did not embarrass himself. I thought he played well. The 4th down PI call was one of the worst calls that I have ever seen. That picture will be meme worthy for framing and sending the the NFL. PI calls greater than 15 yards should get reviewed automatically.

Schwartz has speed on KR returns.

The holding call on Tretter was terrible too, DL had illegal hands to the face.

There was a non holding call on Garrett as about 3:45 in the fourth that was missed as well. Terrible game for the refs.

The offense was pretty good. Hance did well. Any accolades are deserved.

KS has been correctly bashed for his late game decision making.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Kevin Stefanski seemed to take the blame for the play calling at the end of the game..

I think after hearing him explain it, I agree with him.

Whatever else you all may think, these guys played their hearts out.

Gotta remember KS is still a young coach. he's going to make mistakes. He'll make more and he'll learn..

Also, I was disappointed in the D but then, it's hard to play with so many guys injured.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Having Green as our fourth outside corner is completely ridiculous depth.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

PFF CLE Browns
@PFF_Browns
Most missed tackles forced per run (min. 55 attempts):

1st in NFL Kareem Hunt- 0.33
2nd in NFL Nick Chubb- 0.31

https://twitter.com/PFF_Browns/status/1448359217761509385

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I'm not sure he actually beat out Colquitt so much as it was the Browns didn't want to pay a punter $2.5M when they could pay Gillan $500k.

Yeah, that's true, but I'd have to believe they'd be close enough to risk letting go of someone like Colquitt's caliber. I know it was Kitchens at the time, so I'm not saying anything with definitive certainty.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
When it rains it pours. The Browns curse continues.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Oh it’s pouring

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

this is not ideal but... this is not that bad. He can still come back this year and help us push for the playoffs or in the playoffs if the wheels don't completely come off the bus

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
O
Legend
Legend
O
Also, do we know when we're getting Chubb back?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober

something tells me they will keep him shut down for another week to get an extra 10 days of recovery

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
1 member likes this: oobernoober
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

something tells me they will keep him shut down for another week to get an extra 10 days of recovery

As well as Wills and Conklin. We may be putting a MASH unit out there for the whole world to see.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
I’m going to guess that we will be without: Chubb, Hunt, Landry, Conklin, Wills, OBJ, JOK … with an extended bye type week, we’ll give those guys some time.

Problem is … we will have our hands full.

1st String
1st String
I was hoping to get Chubb and Landry back on Thursday. It just feels like a dark, heavy cloud is hanging over our heads. I need some glimmer of light.

Legend
Legend
We really need both of those dudes. It seems like they’re the heartbeat of the team.

Give us the two OTs, Landry, Chubb, the TEs and DPJ/Higgins and we can roll

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

And it sounds like it would be wise to sit Chubb another game. Chubb injury discussed at the :40 second mark...

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Starting to feel like Case Keenum might be starting on Thursday.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard