Legend
C
Things are great.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I'm waiting for Keenum to come out and play lights out, beat Denver and connect with OBJ for 150+ yards and two TDs. Really getting the town in a tizzy like the Couch/Holcomb years!

3 members like this: AZBrown, PrplPplEater, FATE
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The wise move protecting Baker from himself. I don't question Baker's courage or his attitude that he needs to play even if hurt. Given the fact that our OLine is not "protecting" as well as it would be if our starting OTs were not injured...the risk of further injury should be avoided.

The Browns sure could use a miracle about now.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Talk about leaving us all hanging. Does anyone have a key to.this code?

[Linked Image]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by GraffZ06
Sucks but that has to be the smart move right now. Let's just hope Baker can get healthy(ish) for Halloween against the Steelers.
I say let him rest up and bring him back when our Oline situation is no longer in shambles. Sync up his return with our starting tackles. Tell Keenum that he needs to get the ball out of his hands quick or he's going to end up like Mayfield.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
this is probably KS decision. Sometimes you have to protect players from themselves, especially when they are playing poorly or lacking confidence because of injury. Keenum should be able to come in and beat denver. Give Baker the 10 days off

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Who is the Emergency Qb on Thursday night, if Keenum gets a concussion or something?

Is it Jamie Gillan? Did they have a QB on the practice squad to call up, I know it wasn't Kyle Lauletta.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I'd expect Nick Mullins to be called up from the PS to be Keenum's backup for the game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'd expect Nick Mullins to be called up from the PS to be Keenum's backup for the game.

I see Kyle Lauletta is a member of the Jaguars practice squad, since cutdown to 53 2 months ago. Now.

Based only on what we saw in 2021. Only on 2021, where, in the preseason, Keenum looked Autrocious in the red zone, and based on Nick Mullens being reputationally terrible,

I think the best chance to win a game this week, in two days, and based on the Browns in July and August of 2021, that If I had to have a QB of the 3, and it was in any way possible, (because I don't have a way to know if Lauletta is a protected or unprotected member of the Jags practice squad. )
That of.
Nick Mullens,
Case Keenum, or
Kyle Lauletta, that I'd have the most confidence in Lauletta.

Nothing against Case Kennum but,,, did you see that preseason game?? Gosh he was awful.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
IF we ever actually get to the red zone we should just run it 4 times directly behind Teller (you know we’re going for it on 4th down so we might as well)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
If Baker!, one of the only problems I had with his last 3 games... If he didn't know, on the first trip into the red zone each game,
If he didn't know the HC would leave him out there on 4th down to get sacked,
If he didn't know that...
He might have tried to actually convert a 3rd down play in the red zone, instead of hesitate. In 3 out of 4 games in the first trip into the red zone late in the 1st quarter each time.

What I meant to say is.

In a normal years defensive roster, the Browns have about 4 useable safeties, for one particular snap, and if they run a safety blitz playcall, they may really be exposing a bad coverage.
Years like, the Safeties were, Kwan Williams, TJ Ward, or Mike Adams, and they only had 2 starter types and 2 who may be able to see the field.

Well, in 2021, they could probably get decent single snaps out of SIX, Six players built like a safety.
Jok, Lecounte, MJ Stewart, JJ3, R.Harrison, and Delpit. that is 6, not the usual 4.
The season, the whole NFL season is about 1/3rd over and if it ended today, I'd say, MAN!!! (How many safeties do you need on a roster until you can see an Occasional!!! safety blitz?

Didn't they also sign Clowney and Takk McKinley, how many capable players, Defensive coordinator? Do you need, to every once in a while,
Bring a blitz! from someone unexpected?? Like a Safety blitz, or a corner blitz, or anything unusual.
no!, We do tradition!
We rush 4, from home position! Because! if you don't ... you may give up a 35 yard touchdown. Maybe! if you have udfa guy exposed in coverage for one snap,

but not so this year, 1st! they don't have to rely on udfa guy, because I just listed 6 capable players all built like a safety , who could come on a random down, and still cover like the coverage needs. (and run defense)
2nd! They are already giving up 35 yard touchdowns, on the regular tradition 4 man rush and coverages, every time, noo gambles!

Legend
Legend
I'm waiting for Keenum to come out and play lights out, beat Denver and connect with OBJ for 150+ yards and two TDs. Really getting the town in a tizzy like the Couch/Holcomb years!

Milk Man is a sadist who hates Browns fans.

You ain't foolin' anyone, Milk- I see you.

I see you.
(does that 2-finger 'my eye/your eye' hand gesture thing)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: Milk Man, oobernoober
T
Legend
Legend
T
If I'm being impolite, (in team criticism), it only shows that I care.
Assuming, from what we saw of red zone ineffectiveness in the 2021 pre season, that Case Keenum is going to vacuum louder than a garbage truck suctioning a sewer drain,
assuming that. Who is the next best quarterback, the Browns could obtain, that might provide a spark of ingenuity until Baker Mayfeild heals up?
Nick Mullens, Cody Kessler, DiShone Kizer, Tommy Dreamer, ( I threw that one in there.) . Like it would Matter! Is there anyone?

Would Jamie Gillan be the next best option at quarterback, why does it feel-- so natural to say that he would. (It's nomenclature, it's synesthesia.)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
If I'm being impolite, (in team criticism), it only shows that I care.
Assuming, from what we saw of red zone ineffectiveness in the 2021 pre season, that Case Keenum is going to vacuum louder than a garbage truck suctioning a sewer drain,
assuming that. Who is the next best quarterback, the Browns could obtain, that might provide a spark of ingenuity until Baker Mayfeild heals up?
Nick Mullens, Cody Kessler, DiShone Kizer, Tommy Dreamer, ( I threw that one in there.) . Like it would Matter! Is there anyone?

Would Jamie Gillan be the next best option at quarterback, why does it feel-- so natural to say that he would. (It's nomenclature, it's synesthesia.)

Landry is probably the next best option, though I'm not sure he'd be any good for more than a few snaps.
Kyle Lauletta is the only one worth considering for 2021, and he's worse than Keenum.... but, probably better over the course of a game than Landry.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend
He’s right. Unless it’s a severe injury, it’s a contagious thing. We’ve seen years past when guys shut it down with minor stuff when we stink.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
This is the good CONTAGIOUS, and it's a welcomed sight and I love seeing it. I hate seeing the guys get hurt, but I love that our guys are fighting through it.

Now, let's take 10 days and get as many to the point where they don't have to fight through it as we can.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Now, let's take 10 days and get as many to the point where they don't have to fight through it as we can.

I'm still holding my breath until Ski's PC where he talks about the injury list. I feel like last night can still bite us in the butt.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I really believe that if we are healthy and have all our players we can play with and beat anyone. The last 3 weeks have been brutal with all the injuries. The Chargers game was very winnable and if we didn't have guys going in and out of the lineup I think we would have won. The Arizona game we came out flat right from the beginning probably because of what happened the week before. It would be a shame to not see how far this team can go because all the players being hurt. Just our luck.

M
Legend
Legend
M
While I tend to agree - I do still worry about the D. I'm not saying it's trash or Woods has to go .... I am just concerned.

Who on the D was out vs the Chargers? ... they put up 47 points on our D. They put up 6 points on the Ravens. I think that's a gulf in quality that speaks volumes - all be it west coast/East coast games plays a part .... Ward being hurt again and simply not playing at the level we have in the past is a new/additional concern.

There is plenty of time. No need to panic. I know we have looked outstanding in 2 games and at other times in other games - But there are times when other teams really really seem to be able to do just about whatever they want. We are stout against the run, seem to give up soft 1st downs on passing plays.

Watch this space I guess.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No.
We have played 4 crappy offences,won all 4.
We have played 3 good offences,and are giving up,on average,over 40 points per game.That is the complete opposite of playing with and beating anybody.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by BCbrownie
No.
We have played 3 good offences,and are giving up,on average,over 40 points per game.That is the complete opposite of playing with and beating anybody.

Minnesota is not a crappy offense.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15
No.

Minnesota is not a crappy offense.

yep. the vikings offense is ranked 5th in nfl in total yards.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Thank-you gentlemen,I stand corrected.
3 out of 4 good O's have averaged 40 points against us.By no stretch of the imagination can that be considered good D.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Could be HOW we chose to play D against certain offenses and not the personnel. If it's a high powered O maybe we should blitz more on passing downs or play closer with our CB's. We have the talent at CB to play one on one.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/22/21 04:02 PM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Broncos did all their damage in the second half. They made adjustments and shredded our zone coverage and Woods didn't make any adjustments and thats what has been the problem with him outside of a bad scheme. We could be alot better with the personnel we have. We really missed JOK last night even though we won, he would have been fun against that offense. Sucks he's going to miss Pit game.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I think the health of the OL is literally the #1 variable. If we are at full strength we can go toe to toe with anyone. If we aren’t, it’s much tougher for us to win

3 members like this: WSU Willie, EveDawg, archbolddawg
C
Legend
Legend
C
Thank-you gentlemen,I stand corrected.
3 out of 4 good O's have averaged 40 points against us.By no stretch of the imagination can that be considered good D.

The Chiefs, Chargers, and Cardinals are three of the top four offenses in the league. We could/should have done better but it’s not like we are giving up 40 to chumps.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Like I said, we gave up 47 points to the Chargers who - yes - have a very good O. The Ravens gave up 6.

If you don't find it at least a bit concerning that we by and large have seemed to struggle significantly against the better teams (the kind we will meet in the playoffs should we get there) - I do.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/22/21 07:42 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
4 members like this: Ballpeen, WSU Willie, oobernoober
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by mgh888
Like I said, we gave up 47 points to the Chargers who - yes - have a very good O. The Ravens gave up 6.

If you don't find it at least a bit concerning that we by and large have seemed to struggle significantly against the better teams (the kind we will meet in the playoffs should we get there) - I do.

It’s concerning but giving up huge points to Mahomes, Herbert, and Murray is not the end of the world.

Legend
Legend
The defense we will field in January isn't the defense we're fielding today. These guys will be in a different groove by then, assuming we aren't destroyed by injury before then.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Any word on Hospital Ward?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

He's perpetually "questionable" until he becomes "probable".

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Haven’t seen anything yet. I’m going to assume he’ll be out until the bye week

Legend
Legend
He will get a MRI on Monday.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He probably had a reservation set ahead of time !

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Browns new Mascot just announced...

[Linked Image from itnonline.com]

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by waterdawg
He probably had a reservation set ahead of time !

LOL...a standing reservation. I like the guy and think he is a very good player, but I am hard pressed to think of any player we have ever had that has been more injury prone. It's just one thing after another.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard