Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would anyone consider trading for Russell Wilson?

He had the falling out with Seattle in the off-season and the Seahawks are struggling, so he could potentially be available.
Realize that this trade would start wit hus giving them Baker and next year's 1st

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
GENERAL COMMENT...

Everyone seems to agree that Case will be fine until Baker is ready again. Don't disagree, but we've seen this situation before...we convince ourselves the backup will be ok. Then the backup gets hurt. So if Case gets blasted by TJ Watt on a blitz this weekend and is concussed, is the season lost? Is Baker technically available? Would it be better to activate Mullens and put Baker on IR, or just keep Baker on the active roster, hoping he will be ready soon and will not be needed before he's ready?

Browns fans are born with it...
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Also, JESTER...yes. 1000%. Not a short-term rental, and I think that this FO is good enough that we can withstand the loss of multiple years of 25th+ picks.

Browns fans are born with it...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From a purely Baker centric viewpoint, I think he should be shut down for 4-6 weeks to let the bone fracture heal. I am concerned that a hit could do some serious damage to that bone.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by dnadawg
GENERAL COMMENT...

Everyone seems to agree that Case will be fine until Baker is ready again. Don't disagree, but we've seen this situation before...we convince ourselves the backup will be ok. Then the backup gets hurt. So if Case gets blasted by TJ Watt on a blitz this weekend and is concussed, is the season lost? Is Baker technically available? Would it be better to activate Mullens and put Baker on IR, or just keep Baker on the active roster, hoping he will be ready soon and will not be needed before he's ready?

Mayfield should be the back up in this one. If it gets so bad that Keenum is knocked out of the game you put Mayfield in and lock in to a running game to protect Mayfield's mortal remains. I don't see the burning need to wreck Mayfield to try to salvage what is going to be a good, but not great season. It's not like he'd be in top form anyway.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
2 members like this: tastybrownies, mac
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by jeepnstein
Originally Posted by dnadawg
GENERAL COMMENT...

Mayfield should be the back up in this one. If it gets so bad that Keenum is knocked out of the game you put Mayfield in and lock in to a running game to protect Mayfield's mortal remains. I don't see the burning need to wreck Mayfield to try to salvage what is going to be a good, but not great season. It's not like he'd be in top form anyway.

If that's the case, couldn't Nick Mullens just hand the ball off for 3 downs just as well as an injured Baker could without risking further injury?

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
It takes two to tango.

I don't see Wilson leaving Seattle.

I don't see Baker leaving either. Baker may not be elite but very few are.

Baker is good enough to win a Super Bowl. IMO Berry, KS, Haslam will make Baker a fair offer and he will take it.

He is our quarterback till he is not. And that may be for a long time.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know if there is any chance Seattle trades Wilson. He did make a stink this off season and it seems like there is still some gruffness to their relationship and they are 2-5 in the same division as the 7-0 Cardinals. Would they give up Wilson for Baker and two 1st? Perhaps Baker, two 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd? I don't know but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Regardless, my question was more to the board about whether they people would be in favor of or opposed to a mega trade to get Wilson. Mostly along the hypothetical of Baker being done for the season.

Last edited by Jester; 10/26/21 03:52 PM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
not sure I'd give up that much for Wilson when Rodgers will be a FA next year. Wilson is already 32.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Injured Baker is much better than Case Keenum. And if Baker is too injured in game we still have Case Keenum.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
L
Legend
Legend
L
only way I'd let Baker play is if both tackles are good to go and chubb.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by leadtheway
only way I'd let Baker play is if both tackles are good to go and chubb.

It seems like this is the case.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I do appreciate you posting the info, but I'm not sure it's cool for a doctor to be commenting on Mayfield's ability to play without having examined him or seeing his scans and X-rays.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dave
I do appreciate you posting the info, but I'm not sure it's cool for a doctor to be commenting on Mayfield's ability to play without having examined him or seeing his scans and X-rays.

It's just a guy trying to build a business.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

He was the Chargers team doctor for 17 years. Yes, he's building a new business. He's been incredibly accurate in his video analysis, diagnosis and time table for return for players.

Dave... he specifically states he has not personally evaluated Mayfield. He's simply offering his professional opinion.

He's good for gamblers, too!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/dr-david-chao-assesses-nfl-injuries-in-real-time.html

1 member likes this: oobernoober
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think what some seem to be missing with the idea of signing a new QB, be it Russell Wilson, Cam or anyone else is that they do not know the offense. Whether that's the entire offense, verbiage or route trees. What we would be doing is bringing someone in mid season that would have to first learn the offense or critical parts of it. I don't see that as a practical solution. IMO that's the very reason Keenum was signed. Sure, he's physically limited, but he's also plug and play at the position. That's a comfort level we would not find in anyone else we could sign.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Milk Man

He was the Chargers team doctor for 17 years. Yes, he's building a new business. He's been incredibly accurate in his video analysis, diagnosis and time table for return for players.

Dave... he specifically states he has not personally evaluated Mayfield. He's simply offering his professional opinion.

He's good for gamblers, too!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/dr-david-chao-assesses-nfl-injuries-in-real-time.html

Was he the guy who stabbed Tyrod Taylor in the lung, or am I mixing up my stories?

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
You're mixing up stories. He was not one the Chargers team doctors and was no longer a Chargers team physician when Tyrod Taylor got stabbed in the lung in 2020.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Was he the guy who stabbed Tyrod Taylor in the lung, or am I mixing up my stories?
Nope, that quack came after this one... After reading about Chao, they probably upgraded, regardless of the stabbing incident:

The Chao dossier is lengthy. Two drinking-and-driving citations. A DEA investigation. Accusations that he enabled his former partner's prescription-drug habit. Four lawsuits from former Chargers he had treated. In early 2011, reporter Brent Schrotenboer, Chao's most dedicated watchdog, counted 20 lawsuits filed against Chao since 1998, with at least eight of those "settled with payouts to plaintiffs." Another was decided last summer, when Chao was found liable for negligence and fraud in the case of a 15-year-old girl, Whitney Engler, who had been disfigured in the course of Chao's treatment.

https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: Dave, EveDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Who knew Dr. Chao could be so controversial! lol

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c

I think what some seem to be missing with the idea of signing a new QB, be it Russell Wilson, Cam or anyone else is that they do not know the offense. Whether that's the entire offense, verbiage or route trees. What we would be doing is bringing someone in mid season that would have to first learn the offense or critical parts of it. I don't see that as a practical solution. IMO that's the very reason Keenum was signed. Sure, he's physically limited, but he's also plug and play at the position. That's a comfort level we would not find in anyone else we could sign.
I don't see where there is much pressure at all on Keenum. Just needs to do what he does, needs to throw the ball well enough to make teams think twice before they stack the box against the run, make good decisions...

The real pressure is on Joe Woods and the defense. If we give up 35+ points (like we've done in all 3 of our losses), it's going to be hard for Keenum to win, just like it was for Baker... if we can keep teams in the low 20s or better (like we've done in all 4 of our wins), then we have a pretty good shot. I think it's about that simple.

yebat' Putin
2 members like this: oobernoober, FATE
Legend
Legend

That's what happens when some new name starts to get bandied about and is expected to be taken as unquestioned gospel
He SHOULD be questioned, and his opinion - especially on training techniques & practices such as above - should not be taken as absolute in any way.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C

That's what happens when some new name starts to get bandied about and is expected to be taken as unquestioned gospel
He SHOULD be questioned, and his opinion - especially on training techniques & practices such as above - should not be taken as absolute in any way.

I don’t really care either way, but this doctor has been doing this online for several years and has been pretty accurate.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
The way I see it, seems he commented on why Baker might be able to play. He wasn't going in to why he might not.

I never read it to think he was making a diagnosis of Baker's condition.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Again I was just thinking out loud.
The premise was:
1.Baker was going to shut down and get his surgery so I was thinking a long term solution
2. Case is a good ONE - TWO game solution not long term but why he is paid money to be our backup. Also he is very familiar with the offense and I'm sure is a positive to the QB room.

Anyways doesn't seem to be shutting Baker down sure do hope he plays vs Steelers!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by eotab
Anyways doesn't seem to be shutting Baker down sure do hope he plays vs Steelers!

Speaking of Steelers. It's Wednesday of Steelers week and still no GameDay forum up.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
More importantly to note…. It’s Wednesday and the Steelers still suck.

[Linked Image]
3 members like this: DaveyD, TrooperDawg, PrplPplEater
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Rodgers will be 39 next year. I would also bet that there is no way he would come here.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
A video popped up in my YouTube feed which showed the best position for a passer's offside arm to be in during the passing motion is close to the chest, in order to promote accuracy. As you know, Baker's stats against L.A. was 23 of 32 for 306 yards...and this was AFTER his labrum was torn the week before, and wearing the left shoulder brace. I was just thinking that MAYBE the shoulder brace would reinforce the left arm to be held in closer to the chest as he throws, thus collaterally enhancing accuracy. Hey, just looking for a positive in this crazy season. And maybe we'll go on a 10 game win streak. Right now I'll be thrilled with a two game win streak after this Sunday's game!

E
Legend
Legend
E

lol I didnt know they were making longer videos than the tv spots.

No Craps Given
1st String
1st String
Baker really needs to trust that our capable line will protect him and stay his tail right in that pocket. It has been a disaster (as of late) with him scrambling outside of the pocket. I get nervous every time he does it. He had happy feet while Wills was out. I think this will be his first game back with Wills since he went down in week 4. I would love to see a comfortable Baker for the first time since what seems like forever.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Mayfield hot takes
They sell as much as hot cakes
Opinions taste gross

C
Legend
Legend
C
QBs I’d take over Baker as of 10/31/21:

Patrick Mahomes
Kyler Murray

Mike White
Aaron Rodgers
Lamar Jackson
Justin Herbert
Russell Wilson
Dak Prescott

Josh Allen
Tom Brady
Joe Burrow

Matt Stafford
Derek Carr
Ryan Tannehill

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Water in Cali
Not injured like Mayfield
Can you send Browns some?

1 member likes this: cfrs15
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Mike White

That should say a lot to anyone paying attention ... a guy who had competition percentages of 53%, 50%, 67% and 65% in college. For South FL and Western KY ... and has played 2 NFL games ... and you'd take him over Baker.

Are there better QB's than Baker? For sure. Are they playing with a broken humerus or torn Labarum ? Wonder how good they'd look? Wonder how happy their feet would look once their starting RT went down? Wonder how accurate they'd be in the game when their shoulder had to be popped back in? Guess we will never know.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Add in Cooper Rush!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by mgh888

Mike White

That should say a lot to anyone paying attention ... a guy who had competition percentages of 53%, 50%, 67% and 65% in college. For South FL and Western KY ... and has played 2 NFL games ... and you'd take him over Baker.

Sorry, that was a typo. He should have been at the top of the list. I didn’t watch, but his stats were amazing in his first real playing time. I’ve seen enough.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Mike White

"I didn’t watch" "I’ve seen enough."

i read all I need to

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: mgh888
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Mike White

"I didn’t watch" "I’ve seen enough."

i read all I need to

Same. Mike White > Everyone.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield Part IV A New Hope

Link Copied to Clipboard