Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by myka
We once again were out coached by Tomlin. I hate the guy so much but he really does make the difference in these close games. Stefanski had some supremely terrible calls again, but we still probably win if not for Browns curse.

Tomlin? Tomlin coached like a clown. Did you see the damn fake field goal? Tomlin got bailed out by his D and Ben getting lucky.

1 member likes this: Hammer
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Tomlin got bailed out by our sorry a** offense and play calling.

2 members like this: oobernoober, FATE
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
It’s easy to play defense when there is no threat of the deep ball and you can cover the 1st 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Crowd the box for Chubb and jump short routes

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea the no call late hit on baker was mind boggling

Joe Thomas #73
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I know he has an injury and all, but I think Baker has plateaued. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see the ceiling increasing on this guy and I was one of his biggest supporters. It looks as though his performance early on in his career set a trajectory that has not been met. Not sure it will be.

The issue isn't if he is talented. The issue is if he's a winner.

My feelings are well known but I'm gradually shifting blame to Stefanski. He doesn't appear to be able to rise to the challenge when his offense isn't clicking. He plays the same offense no matter point of the game or situation.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Except if it's the Browns defense. If the Browns defense makes a great play on 2nd down to set up 3rd and long.

On 3rd and long they play off coverage and give the receivers enough room to catch the ball at the first down marker before they tackle them.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Ever since the Chiefs playoff game, it’s alarming the lack of deep ball we have. We are playing in a box

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
2021 is proving that No amount of talent acquisition can equal championships.

Remember the long haul of team building that began in 1999 to see if they could actually assemble a team that was better than an expansion team??

Well in 2021, they became the most talented team in the NFL, or top 2 at least, and the results are still Last Place
which shows, there must be something else, that's not understood.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Honestly since Baker has been here we've never had a deep ball game. Baker is not a good deep ball thrower. Where he used to excel is in the 20 - 30 yd middle of the field game. But he's no longer doing that. That's it. That's all he brought to the table. What you see is what we are left with.

I think Schwartz was supposed to help develop a deep game, but with him looking completely clueless and Baker not being able to connect on the 2 or so times he's tried to hit him, it looks like Stefanski just stopped calling it. You gotta love a coach who gives up on stuff like that so easily. Most teams will just keep trying it until they succeed.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I cant disagree there.. on 1st and 2nd downs, our defense is all world... but on 3rd and long or 4th.. its like they forget what to do

Legend
Legend
Scheme. I think Stefanski run first scheme is fine. But here’s how imbalanced we are:

We’re #1 in the league in rushing, yet 27th in passing.

Which means any number of possibilities that’s strictly on the O. Injuries were the easiest excuse and blame early. But now what? Lack of a deep threat? Lack of arm strength from the QB? A coach who rather treat our QB like He does Case, or maybe he just doesn’t trust bakers arm?

Honestly the only way to find out is for Stefanski to take the leash off and just how it goes letting baker wheel and deal. Njoku has deep threat ability. So does our two #1’s.

That’s why I’m wondering what’s up with Stefanski? At the end of the day it’s on him.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
Post game thought.
The Browns gave up on the Run after 2 negative plays in the first quarter.
The 2nd quarter demanded a 2 minute offense which prevented going back to the run game.

At the end of regulation the Browns lost, and offense in both halves appeared to come up short.

Giving up on the Run game when the score is close to equal ended badly.

It's like a land war in Asia.

L
Legend
Legend
L
A few more thoughts:

Anyone giving up on the season - or blaming Stefanski - is just being too emotional after a tough loss.
Our D played well, but we needed to do more in the passing game, because Pitt was loaded up to stop the run, and they did.

Technically, we are in last place, but that can change in a hurry in the next few weeks. It is a tightly bunched AFC North, and at least Cinci lost today to the god-awful Jets.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Chubb had a tough time running the ball and Stefanski had no idea what to do other than a 4 yard screen pass to Hooper.
I would have like to seen More D'Earnest Johsnon also after the Denver game. Schwartz is non existent like OBJ, unless he runs a kickoff back to the 18 yard line..
Hooper is slow and average at best, and our other 2 best offensive threats imo, Njoku and OBJ arent hardly targeted Hell, Harrison Bryant is better than Hooper.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Also, I’m surprised more isn’t being said about our penalties. They’re killing us. WTF, Rashard? Get your mind right!
We’ve been given up more penalty yardage than any team in the NFL. That can’t continue.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
If you want Baker to be a gunslinger again, prepare to have those 3TD/3INT games more often like he used to do 1st couple years

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's either Stefanski, Woods, or Baker or some combo of the three.

The Browns have played three good teams and an average team and lost them all. They've played 4 bad teams and won them all. In beating the bad teams they still didn't look to be particularly good. The same three guys keep coming up, coach, QB, and DC. Two of those guys are the most important guys on the team.

Stefanski sounded absolutely clueless in his presser. Browns season is done. Put a fork in them.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by boofers20
If you want Baker to be a gunslinger again, prepare to have those 3TD/3INT games more often like he used to do 1st couple years

No risk it, no biscuit

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
The only thing with Dernest that was kind of apparent today … he’s not a good pass catcher it appears

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Cleveland Browns football
Fans giving awful hot takes
Always par for course

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by boofers20

No risk it, no biscuit

No risk it, no biscuit got Jameis 30 INTs and off the team.

Our QB is broken, literally, we can’t throw downfield (which we did quite a bit last year). If we go to our backup QB we can’t throw downfield because the backup is terrible.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
OK.

The defense is a problem. That they gave up only 15 points is not the issue. Defense is not just points and yards given up. It is points and yards given up at critical times.

Mayfield played extremely well last year. The offense collectively played well. This year the running game had been good but Mayfield has been far less effective. Is that just because of his injury or is it something else? Teams this year have more film to study and game plan for the offense.

The injuries have played a part in the issues but the nature of football is that players get injured.

I think one critical point is that the Browns have a harder schedule this year and their divisional opponents have not regressed. Pittsburgh may be a bit worse but the Ravens haven’t and the Bengals, in general, have improved.

There is time to reverse the trend. Is the coaching staff up to it?

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
OBJ. 1 target today….1
The penalty late in the game negated the overthrow

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Westy15
OBJ. 1 target today….1
The penalty late in the game negated the overthrow

He is not a valued piece of the offense.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Please tell me why he isn’t at $15 mil a year

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Please tell me why he isn’t at $15 mil a year

We run multi receiver personnel less than basically every team. We go with 2/3 tight ends a ton.

Also, this front office didn’t sign OBJ to that contract or trade for him.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I know it’s beating a dead horse, but the Baker OBJ thing is done.
Odell will go somewhere else next year and make more pro bowls I’m sure.
Our conservative offense is no place for a superstar receiver. So I hope we don’t try and sign another one.

1 member likes this: 85_Browns_Queen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow , you folks are brutal today .. Maybe should ask Ski to return his Coach of the year Trophy .. Lol

Legend
Legend
One guy who’s had a great year: Njoku. Props to him.

Newsome has also balled out (and Greedy)

2 members like this: oobernoober, FATE
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by waterdawg
Wow , you folks are brutal today .. Maybe should ask Ski to return his Coach of the year Trophy .. Lol

I remember one time in the game when I thought Stefanski was doing the obvious wrong thing (the play call when we went for it on fourth down the first time). I don’t think there is anything specific Stefanski did to lose the game. We lost because of a fumble and two dropped passes.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
He is by far our best Wr. Even in our pedestrian Offense, he should have a better stat line than one catch for 6 yards. I know we run multiple tight ends a lot, but still!

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
That was last year. Our team isn’t well coached this year
One of the most penalized teams in the league

Last edited by Westy15; 10/31/21 06:07 PM.
1st String
1st String
Try to get something out of trading OBJ. The Baker experiment is over. Ward is great if/when he plays. How did we win last week with scrubs and get humiliated this week with the first team!?!?!? AND FINALLY….how many more decades until we see the playoffs again?

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
So you all think Stefanksi called a great game offensively then? 10 points against an a slightly above average Steeler defense?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He is by far our best Wr. Even in our pedestrian Offense, he should have a better stat line than one catch for 6 yards. I know we run multiple tight ends a lot, but still!

I would argue that if our best wide receiver, by far, produces as little as OBJ does then the wide receivers are very bad.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Cause he sucks? He makes pre game warmups look all smoochie with his 1 handed catches. Put him in a game? Can't catch with 2 hands. I guess that would be a place to start. His $15 million a year salary is easily replaced with 1 million a year by a dude that catches balls DURING the game.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Who’s better? Landry? He’s a slot receiver that runs a 4.7 40

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
We'll always have the 2020 playoff win.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
That’s part of my point. Unless he’s washed up at 29 years old and we don’t know that yet, I’m going by his previous performances. I thought he was a gamebreaker, someone who defensive coordinators had to gameplan for… not one catch 6 yards.
Hell, I’m with you. If you don’t even look to throw him the ball, cut him and resign a kid like K’deral Hodge and use the other 14 mil to sign a pro bowl lineman.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Sorry guys. Didn't expect this result. I don't think Cleveland's WRs did Baker Mayfield any favors today.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Steelers 15 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard