Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Thanks P, I must have missed it

D
Legend
Legend
D
Very happy with the win, the effort, and the big plays by so many guys, but going forward we have to address the pre-snap and post-whistle penalties. Gotta play smarter in the games coming up, and - please coach - stop getting cute in the red zone.

1 member likes this: Southwestdawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

1 member likes this: DaveyD
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Great win! Looks like OBJ was part of the problem. Too bad the Ravens won in OT.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
One other good thing: we finally won with Romo and Nantz

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
E
Legend
Legend
E
I was really happy for Njoku.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: lottadot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DPJ is greater than OBJ!

Chubb is a Hall of Famer!

Baker is back!

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
Chubb definitely could be a HOF player. He’s that good and impactful. His whole thing will be longevity

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Welp, pass the salt. And I would like my crow medium rare please.

Thrilled that the Browns won. I was not expecting that. The defense played very well and Baker did very well.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by lampdogg
not so much on the end zone throw to NJoku: ball has to be thrown higher there.

While I agree with your post in it's entirety - and I agree the throw to Njoku was short/low - I think there is a bit of a habit we have developed here to nit pick bad throws by Baker. He's had spells where he has made more than his share or made bad decisions etc ... but regard accuracy of throws, every single QB in the NFL makes bad throws every single game. I think as Browns fans we get a bit over zealous and obsessed with things like that. I watch other WR and TE make breathtaking catches off badly placed throws - and the narrative isn't how bad the throw was, it's about how good the catch was..... not wanting to throw the thread off, just commenting on something I see a lot.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
2 members like this: WSU Willie, FORTBROWNFAN
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Big complements to Stefanski, Baker, and Berry - this could have spiraled out of control and they righted the ship. Although I think all three in their heart of hearts know the nameless player is a jerk, and caused many problems.

If we are going to smear Woods on bad games, lets give him his props here. That was an elite O they held down all day. Great scheming with Troy Hill.

For the first time I believe our D could be good. We have several legit corners in newsome, ward, and greedy, if they can stay healthy. Hill and Johnson are play makers, coupled with JOK returning. Bookend elite rushers…this could be special.

Chubb is a dominant RB, his breakaway speed puts him in a class by himself.

Baker is point guard, fast paced dealer of the ball to all receivers, loved the tempo at times we played with. Loved the deep shot now we have a legit deep threat and not a nameless, washed up jerk. If Baker hits a rhythm and does not get the shoulder banged, look out.

Now the nameless loser is gone DPJ can emerge, he is a legit number one and could be a pro-bowler long term. I am very excited to see what he does now that he has his shot.

Teller is the best guard in the NFL. At all costs sign him.

Also compliments to Baker and Stefanski for being classy about the nameless jerk after the game in interviews, proud they took the high road. I’ll make up for it with smack talk here.

So excited for the Pats game…it will be a challenge.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
gotta cut down on those dumb pre snap penalties. I know the blue line on the TV is official, but you could tell Clowney was in the neutral zone just about every play those first few series

R
Legend
Legend
R
--Our best players made plays when it mattered most. Baker, Ward, Chubb, Garrett (the Shaq of the NFL).

--Please, please fight me on the notion that the refs, the NFL, and New York are not personally biased against the Browns. Someone, please debate me on this. Has anyone ever, and I mean ever, seen a roughing the passer penalty called 40 seconds after the play was over, not by the on the field crew, but by some nerd (probably Goodell) in New York? Is this even real? Did that really just happen?

--How about phoning in from New York on all the non-calls for Garrett? I mean that in the most serious fashion possible. I think I counted another 3 to 4 non-holding calls again today. Why don't they phone those in?

--I have been on record that the lack of chemistry between Baker and OBJ is a Baker problem. I guarantee you all the great receivers free lance their routes because they believe they and their QB are on the same page and are seeing the same things. But the Baker - Odell marriage simply didn't work. Baker played like a weight was lifted off his shoulders today. I like this version of Baker better.

--Baker was extremely mature in his post game presser. You can tell this had a deep personal effect on him. I think the team really, and I mean really, rallied around him today. It was great to see. I know I am a Baker critic, but I am a Browns fan, and to see the team so tight, so united today was really just awesome.

--Baker's first TD throw was awesome. His second TD throw was probably top 5 I've seen across the league this season. That was rookie Baker. That was 'I don't give a fark, I trust my arm more than your defense' Baker. Njoku, Landry, and Higgins were all genuinely happy for Baker after that TD pass.

--The 3rd down pass to DPJ was clutch, accurate, and a big time throw (all the things I criticize him for). I love it.

--I am crossing my fingers this is a start to a magical finish to the season.

--Defense was great. Woods still makes me nervous. I can't shake it. I'm still not coming around on him. First two drives they went through the defense like hot butter. Thank you Denzel Ward.

--If we get this Ward every week, who do you pay, Ward or Teller? Teller's block on Chubb's TD run was nothing short of dominant.

--If the team finishes strong, dream scenario would be Baker takes less, and we are able to retain Njoku, Ward, and Teller.

--All of a sudden the Patriots are going to be a tough game. It's another must win with the Lions on the horizon. Go on 3 game win streak and see where we are. All of the preseason goals are still in front of us.

2 members like this: Ballpeen, mgh888
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by lampdogg
not so much on the end zone throw to NJoku: ball has to be thrown higher there.

While I agree with your post in it's entirety - and I agree the throw to Njoku was short/low - I think there is a bit of a habit we have developed here to nit pick bad throws by Baker. He's had spells where he has made more than his share or made bad decisions etc ... but regard accuracy of throws, every single QB in the NFL makes bad throws every single game. I think as Browns fans we get a bit over zealous and obsessed with things like that. I watch other WR and TE make breathtaking catches off badly placed throws - and the narrative isn't how bad the throw was, it's about how good the catch was..... not wanting to throw the thread off, just commenting on something I see a lot.

You can't miss that throw. You just can't.

But he played really, really well otherwise.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Ward and Baker are under contract for 2022 already. Pay Teller first then wait on the other two.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
R
Legend
Legend
R
Interesting and surprising to me. Browns open as 2.5 pt dogs to the Patriots.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
You can't miss that throw. You just can't.

Watch more football. Ever team, every QB misses throws like that. Week in week out. I'll give a hall pass to Brady, Brees and Manning. Wilson probably misses fewer than most. But every other QB. Hell - the amazing Justin Herbert who you fawned over - missed 4 or 5 throws like that in one game. But - I get it, you carry on.

3 members like this: 85_Browns_Queen, FATE, Baker_Dawg
Legend
Legend
Pats defense is tough as nails. And opportunistic. They’re gonna make us play left handed.

The good news: their strength is the run game, which is more containable for us

R
Legend
Legend
R
There's no more football left for me to watch.

M
Legend
Legend
M
--How about phoning in from New York on all the non-calls for Garrett? I mean that in the most serious fashion possible. I think I counted another 3 to 4 non-holding calls again today. Why don't they phone those in?

I like the rest of the post - but this is particularly true. The Cinci OL were wrapping there arms around MG neck on back to back to back plays. It's beyond ridiculous.

As to the "phone in from NY" - they walked that idea back on air. Suggested it was made by one of the crew on the field.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Pats defense is tough as nails. And opportunistic. They’re gonna make us play left handed.

The good news: their strength is the run game, which is more containable for us

I think it's a another must win. We need to go on a little streak here to have a chance at the end, IMO.

We should not fear Mac Jones or their defense or really anyone on that team.

Should be a win. We are more talented. But Belichek is the great equalizer.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B

Agreed, watch it move to a pickem by gametime

Legend
Legend
'It's not the size of the dawg in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dawg. '

Baker does not back down. It may not always be right or pretty but Baker has brass B's.

He is a tough, hard nose player.

Chubb!! What can you say? I take nothing away from Henry but Chubb is my guy.
When he goes warp speed. He can go. He can pick em up and put them down.

Ward is good - period. On the field he is an excellent corner. Newsome is showing.
He made some technique plays from behind his man. Pulling his arms down.
That is advanced play. Very impressive player.

The way the Bengals came down the field on the opening drive. I was thinking. "This does not look good."
Ward flipped the script.

Winning the turnover game is so important.

The two catches and throws to DPJ were large.
Hill had clean shots at a slow footed qb. He gets beat underneath. He had his best game.

Kevin Stefanski. Major prop's. He got a team ready to play during a rough drama week.
And a bad loss.

Happy to win and keep us in the hunt.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by bonefish
Kevin Stefanski. Major prop's. He got a team ready to play during a rough drama week.
And a bad loss.

Despite what many of the players said this week, it seemed like the whole team played like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders.

Legend
Legend
For whatever reason I thought we’d play well today. It kinda had the vibes as the Steelers playoff game last year … so much distraction but our character prevailed (that’s Stefanski, Baker, Chubb, Bitonio, etc)

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Even better than I thought. I thought we'd come out with extra fire this week, but that was super solid.

Wasn't happy with the bend but don't break D in the first half - giving up 250 yards - but clearly happy with the turnovers. Second half was much better on D - a total of 361 yards given up. Kudos for some good adjustments.

On O, we had a mere 46 plays and yet still 348 yards. Thankfully the two fumbles (Jarvis' pitch is considered one) didn't hurt us.

Special teams were good enough. Punting could be better, returns were below average and Chase missed a FG. Good on the coverage side.

Coaching - overall solid - fewer headscratchers than normal and solid adjustments in the second half on D. I'm happy we didn't take the foot off the pedal in half 2 despite being up. And the team showed up after a weird week that could have gone haywire.

Reffing - overall it was ok, with 2 awful, awful calls - Day's "rouging" penalty and Elliot's roughness penalty when both teams were pushing including a Cincy player hitting him in the head.

Legend
Legend
For whatever reason I thought we’d play well today. It kinda had the vibes as the Steelers playoff game last year … so much distraction but our character prevailed (that’s Stefanski, Baker, Chubb, Bitonio, etc)

Yet in multiple threads you said we would lose.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: jfanent, Dave
Legend
Legend
Well, I thought the bengals would be much more formidable. You can still play well and lose obviously

Legend
Legend
Post-game thoughts

This team looked similar to the team we saw in the 2nd half of last season. This is a timing/rhythm offense, which means guys have to be where expected. Take one misaligned cog out of the scoring machine and things start to run smoothly. Last year in Cinci, 13 went down with a torn ACL. 6 responded by throwing 20 straight completions and five TD passes. The last of those five was to DP-J in the last seconds of the game. It was addition by subtraction last year, and it was addition by subtraction on the one-year anniversary. Note: I never disliked him at all during his time here. He was just never here enough to ever fit in. I hope he has a better time wherever he's going.

D stepped up big time. All 3 squads did their jobs and shut down a very good O.
DB's were a pleasant revelation. Lots of man coverage- and damn if they didn't shut down Burrows' air game.

Stupid penalties are going to cost this team at least one game down the stretch if they don't clean this stuff up. Coaches- please?

24 is the new 32. 137. His 20th career game of 100+ yards.
Midway in the 3rd quarter, opposing teams no longer want to play football against him.

At one point in the second half, I thought the playcalling was going go into a shell. So glad we kept the tempo and pressure up. That team has the ability to come back fast from a deficit.

Today's team has a better-than even shot against any other team in the league, and it can definitely beat its division mates. I hope this team sticks around. Last week's team needs to stay buried.

GREAT WIN!
NEXT-

*edit*
If you are on the opponent's 1-yard line, it's 1st and goal, and 24 is in your backfield you should never throw the football. Ever.
Coach Stef- please, please get rid of the cute. 'Cause we have a Brute. And it's frakking Cleveland. And we're a run-first team. Right?

Last edited by Clemdawg; 11/07/21 09:48 PM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: Dave, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
--If we get this Ward every week, who do you pay, Ward or Teller?

Pay them both. The Browns just freed up OBJ's cap space for next season and the next move would be to move on from Landry (and I'm a Landry truther!). OG and DB are higher priority positions on this team. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made.

Another $5M will be freed up up when Hubbard contract expires. Extend Keenum and restructure his contract for additional cap savings.

3 members like this: mgh888, Dave, Baker_Dawg
Legend
Legend
Here’s a question for everyone:

Where does Chubb rank RIGHT NOW in terms of Browns RBs in history?

Surely Jim Brown is #1 … Leroy Kelly then?

And then …?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
well he has passed Hillis

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
It's still early in 24's career. Kind of hard to compare him to players with a complete body of work.

I'll say this: he just logged his 20th 100 yd game, and his ypc are .1 better than Jim Brown's.
At this point, I see him tied with Kelly.

Where does Kevin Mack fall on the list?

see what you started?

Interesting topic. Looking forward to the responses.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Teller is a priority to resign… he is simply an amazing blocker.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
Here’s a question for everyone:

Where does Chubb rank RIGHT NOW in terms of Browns RBs in history?

Surely Jim Brown is #1 … Leroy Kelly then?

And then …?
He's still got two Pruitts, a Motley and a Mack to pass... in my eyes. But his face is getting bigger in the rear view mirror week by week.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M

Internet is giving free money away. Take the Browns on the ML. Ask your kids if they want to go to Harvard or Yale.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
I more or less am asking because the first RB I remember is Metcalf/Hoard … those days

Chubb is by far the best RB I’ve seen in our uniform

Legend
Legend
Best game I've seen this year... total team win... defense looked great overall... Chubb was money... Baker played very well...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
why are we talking lists and what Jim Brown did 50 years a go... we live in this era and get to see football now ! like talking phones, ya know ones ya had to dial , to the ones now where all you have to do is hope ya don't need to remeber someething ...lmao !

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Bengals 16 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard