Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird
Best game I've seen this year... total team win... defense looked great overall... Chubb was money... Baker played very well...
Agreed. This game had the same feel as last year in the 2nd half

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

5 members like this: Clemdawg, ScottPlayersFacemask, 85_Browns_Queen
Legend
Legend
First complete game of the year imo.

Baker was on fire early and threw some of his best balls of the year.
Chubb didn't get many carries but he made them count. Watching him run is poetry in motion.
DPJ is one tough hombre. He took one hell of a shot and the ball didn't move an inch. I'd love seeing him get more looks.

Myles gets held almost every play. One play is floating around Twitter shows two guys holding him simultaneously.
Ward is a great player and it showed today. He got a pick, caused another with a tip and only allowed one reception for 11 yds. If he can only stay healthy.
Hill had is best day as a Brown with three sacks. He was also good in run defense and coverage.
Johnson and Walker both had impactful games. Walker had 12 tackles and a sack. Johnson with a pick and I think he forced a fumble.

Next week will be tough but I believe we will win if we play like we did today!I

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

After a week of OBJ chaos, Baker Mayfield's speech helps Browns save a season on the brink
Marla Ridenour
Akron Beacon Journal

CINCINNATI — When the Browns huddled in the end zone Sunday after warmups, star defensive end Myles Garrett did not address the team as he has for all but one previous game this season.

Instead, he ceded to quarterback Baker Mayfield.

“He looked at me before I was about to speak and I pointed at him and said, ‘You got it,’” Garrett said.

It had been a tumultuous week since receiver Odell Beckham Jr.’s father posted a video on Instagram Tuesday morning showing examples of his son being open and Mayfield failing to get him the ball. LeBron James followed with a #FreeOBJ tweet.

After months of requests by Beckham to be traded, the Browns reached an agreement Friday to waive him on Monday.

The uproar put the spotlight on Mayfield’s lack of chemistry with Beckham, absent since Beckham arrived in a March 2019 trade from the New York Giants. Garrett knew the players needed to see that Mayfield could put aside what had happened and focus on their crucial game with the Cincinnati Bengals before they could as well.

“I felt like just because he was a part of what was going on earlier in the week, it was kind of important for him to talk to address the team and show that this is not bothering him, it’s not on his mind, he’s looking forward and we all need to,” Garrett said. “I think that it was important that I give the reins to him.”

That may have been the galvanizing moment the Browns needed.

(see link for remainder of article)

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...me-in-win-cincinnati-bengals/6232443001/

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Interesting and surprising to me. Browns open as 2.5 pt dogs to the Patriots.

Just the 3 point home field deal attached. Basically they see the teams even and have to start the betting line somewhere.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker to his haters...

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
C
Legend
Legend
C
Just rewatched. The throw to DPJ on 3rd and 11, the Harrison Bryant reception, the Felton reception, and the Njoku TD were beautiful throws.

Ronnie Harrison took just about the worst angle possible on a long Mixon run. It literally looked like he thought someone else had the ball or he just doesn't know how slow he is.

I love Nick Chubb. The runs that are supposed to work are huge chunks and runs that shouldn't go anywhere often turn into ten yard gains.

Legend
Legend
This was the team people expected to see before the season started when they were talking about the Browns contending...

- Great and potentially explosive run game
- Efficient and potentially explosive passing game
- Improved defense to make plays

I won't dwell on all of the good, it's been covered. My two negatives from an otherwise glorious afternoon...

1. The play call on 3rd and 1 from the 5 when the Bengals hadn't stopped a single thing yet.. hand to Landry to run the option with Chubb? Just give it to Chubb inside with the FB in front of him... if it doesn't work, give it to him again... Something happens inside the red zone and Stefanski gets crazy..
2. The dead ball penalties need to stop. We had 4 or 5 today I'm guessing, just stupid movement and formation penalties.

Not a Browns negative but some of the penalty calls just left me scratching my head.. I was watching it without sound so I don't know what the announcers were saying but... notallthere

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Any word on Greedy?? I heard something about his bum shoulder.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Any word on Greedy?? I heard something about his bum shoulder.

I won't be surprised if he's back next week.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Here’s a question for everyone:

Where does Chubb rank RIGHT NOW in terms of Browns RBs in history?

Surely Jim Brown is #1 … Leroy Kelly then?

And then …?
He's still got two Pruitts, a Motley and a Mack to pass... in my eyes. But his face is getting bigger in the rear view mirror week by week.

#1 in YPC

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/career-rushing.htm

Marion Motley had a 5.7 ypc average.
Chubb should pass Motley this season for yards and the #6 spot.
He passed Motley for Rushing TDs like two weeks ago... next up is surpassing Otto.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
24 is the new 32.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: FATE, PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

6th round pick. Salary cap hit $826,652.

1 member likes this: Baker_Dawg
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Easy game to watch
Son saw a win from my lap
All was good today

3 members like this: Clemdawg, oobernoober, Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My only negative on the game is Penalties. This team needs to get more disciplined. Didn’t cost us today but it has and will again If they don’t clean that up.

Other than that was a great game by everyone. The secondary stepped up big and that is what we wanted to see from (2) 1st round corners as well as big Free Agent/Trade at Safety. If they play like that the rest of the year games, will be fun to watch.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Inside the 5 Chubb at minimum has to be in the backfield.

Either give him the ball or fake to him and throw. The defense knows when he is there they must be ready for him.

Legend
Legend
Giant question. How are you suppose to tackle a quarterback?

What exactly did Sheldon Day do wrong?

He tackled Burrow with his shoulder pads below the waste. Is he supposed to bring a pillow with him to make sure the qb lands softly?

Deacon Jones please arise from the grave and tell the NFL what is wrong.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
Legend
Baker’s pass to DPJ was impressive under some pressure.

One note that i kept having during the game though: Walker is so slow. He sticks out like a sore thumb going side to side

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did not see anything wrong with that tackle. Were they claiming it was late? It wasnt

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will post my thoughts before I read the other entries.

- I was at the game, my first time watching a game in enemy territory. There were 19 of us, rented a bus from north of Columbus. 17 Browns fans, the other 2 Bengals fan. It was a nice ride home.
- I hate to talk about officiating. but I will. In almost 50 years of watching the game, I have seen times where flags have come out late. However, never, ever, have I seen a flag thrown while the offense was breaking the huddle for the next play. WTF?
- I will also say they missed the call when Myles was being held by 2 guys at once. Typical.
- So, this was a huge win. A team win. A lot of contributors.
- Good to see Chubb bust a long one. He was not his typical self before that. The play before, we lined up in a 5 wide with Chubb all the way right and a TE all the way left. Must have confused Cincy because they called a time out. He got their D how he liked it and Chubb then goes for 70.
- DPJ filled for that other guy just fine. Did not hear anything else about him, hope he is ok. It was one of the referees who took him out of the game. Must have been a little unsteady. He took a shot.
- Teller. Holy crap.
- We got to Burrow. Sacks, other hits. He was nothing special yesterday. Not saying that he is not good, but he was not yesterday. Didn't bring the team back from behind in an important game.
- Chase was not a factor. IIRC some on this board already had him as a top 5 WR in the league. He had two big drops, and even other than that he was not a factor. 40 yards or so? 0 yards on 2 rushes.
- I wonder, was the Baltimore game the outlier for Cincy? Maybe the team that played us and the Jets are closer to reality?
- Ward had a great game. I saw the stats afterwards. 41 snaps, allowed one completion for 11 yards. Pick 6, and caused the other interception with a tip. 0.0 QB rating when targeted.
- Newsome also had a good game. As did Hill. Though I think the stadium announcer may have given him credit for too many sacks. He is a sure tackler.
- Greedy. I know he had some good games this year. But once again he played with too much cushion, playing behind the receiver. He did against AZ and also against PIT. When he does this, it is an easy first down if you throw his way. Can't defend from behind. We're OK when he is our #4 CB. When you count on him to be one of the top 2, then I don't know. He does play well at times.
- Didn't mention Baker. Very well done. He came to play. The bomb to DPJ was spot on. I think the TD to Njoku was a middle finger to critics.
- I saw afterwards that Baker's wikipedia page was updated to say that he was an NFL quarterback for the Cleveland Browns and a majority owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. Also saw posts with a pic of Cincy's field labelled "At home with Baker Mayfield."
- Cleveland fans well represented at the stadium. The noise after Ward's TD was unbelievable. The chants for Baker at the end were also loud, but most of the Cincy fans started to leave after that failed 2-point conversion, when it was still a 3-score difference.
- "Welcome to the Jungle" is forever ruined for me. And I have no idea what that polka-sounding thing is they play. That's just embarrassing.

Who dey? We dey. That's who beat the Bengals. The Browns.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
2 members like this: Clemdawg, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
This was the team people expected to see before the season started when they were talking about the Browns contending...

I think this absolutely nails it. 100%.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
My thoughts after the game???

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

What a fun game to watch on so many different levels.

We saw the defense everyone was hoping we'd see at the start of the season.
We saw an offense that was efficient and timing-based with an amazing offensive line performance.
More importantly, we saw a team emphatically rebound after a wild week of media coverage, a disgruntled player, an angry helicopter parent, and questions about team stability and overall caliber only to come out and whoop some ass ALL GAME LONG.

- Chubb had a fantastic game but his 70-yd run was a joy. I knew he was deceptively fast, but it looked like he went into another gear pulling away from the secondary.
- The cornerbacks were on fire! Ward had a top-3 game of his career (maybe his best) and Newsome was fantastic. Can't forget about Troy Hill as well. That unit was fantastic.
- Our defensive line got significant pressure pretty much for the whole game it seemed. Myles was Myles.
- DPJ is our deep threat. Made you forget the name OBJ in the first quarter for most folks.
- Baker was deliberate, efficient, and didn't make mistakes. Picked his plays to make a deep throw, but many shorter, mid-range throws for the most part. In fact, he didn't throw that much. Part was the first quarter and never really having a series until towards the end.
- Props to Stefanski. He galvanized the team after a terrible loss and the Odell media storm to keep the team focused and limit distractions. Bravo.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
DPJ is a tremendous deep threat because he covers so much ground. His maturation is going to come in the short/intermediate passing game. He needs to develop some nuance (like he did w/the 4th quarter catch). I’m excited to see him develop.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I've stashed DPJ on all my fantasy teams including a keeper league from the start of the season - I've always believed he will come through and be our stud. There is a lot to like about him winning contested catches and Baker's ability.

Legend
Legend
How can a ref feel somebody got hit so hard in the head that he needed to go to the bench and not throw a flag? Has that ever happened to another team? We are the NFL guinea pigs.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Yeah he has a good future I think

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't know what the reasoning was - but it's possible and I have seen a fair tackle that resulted in the players head 'bouncing' off the turf and him being concussed or tested for concussion.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's nice on a Monday to talk about a very good win the day before. Last week was miserable after the Pitt. loss. I can't help but wonder if we had let OBJ go before the Pittsburgh game would we have seen the same result as yesterday?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's another guy that is steadily rounding into form in this D... JJ3. His play has been steadily picking up after an extremely disappointing start.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by BADdog
Is Higgins hurt?

He liked OBJ seniors post trashing Baker. As a result he only got in for three plays. Actions have consequences.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Must be a bad day for Riz.

We won.

We are supposed to lose to Detroit and everything is wrong because of Baker.

I didn't see the daily piece about below average etc.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

2 members like this: Baker_Dawg, mgh888
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by jfanent
How can a ref feel somebody got hit so hard in the head that he needed to go to the bench and not throw a flag? Has that ever happened to another team? We are the NFL guinea pigs.

I thought this immediately. You can be sure it would have been called on one of our defenders.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
- I saw afterwards that Baker's wikipedia page was updated to say that he was an NFL quarterback for the Cleveland Browns and a majority owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. Also saw posts with a pic of Cincy's field labelled "At home with Baker Mayfield."

I just might have a T-shirt made with this line printed on it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

I just might have a T-shirt made with this line printed on it.

Not me ... Ben was 100% owner of the Cleveland Browns for 18 years or whatever it was. If I'd have seen a Steeler shirt like that, it wouldn't have sat well.

let's act like we've been here before. A meme is different than printing it on clothing - just my 2 cents.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have yet to see a DB catch Chubb in the open field. He is as fast as anyone with pads on the field.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Originally Posted by CalDawg
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Here’s a question for everyone:

Where does Chubb rank RIGHT NOW in terms of Browns RBs in history?

Surely Jim Brown is #1 … Leroy Kelly then?

And then …?
He's still got two Pruitts, a Motley and a Mack to pass... in my eyes. But his face is getting bigger in the rear view mirror week by week.

#1 in YPC
I could be wrong but I think Brown is the only rb to average over 100 yds per game for his career.

1 member likes this: ThomasE
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Bengals 16 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard