Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
I have a question regarding the helmet to helmet shot against DPJ at the 3 yard line yesterday. Since no flag was thrown, how did the officials know to take him out of the game following the play. Without watching the roughing replay numerous times how did the delayed roughing the passer call merit a flag when this helmet to helmet did not? Wouldn't you think if he had to leave they might have wondered about that hit?

A
Legend
Legend
A
I believe the NFL has a person or persons at each game watching for head hits, that can determine if a players needs to go to the blue tent.

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's what happened, just odd it took so long.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
I guess I was just very surprised there was no flag. Defender led with his helmet and made solid contact.

Legend
Legend
I thought the roughing the passer call on us was totally crap (it was late AND wasn’t a penalty). Luckily the game was basically over at that pointt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I believe the NFL has a person or persons at each game watching for head hits, that can determine if a players needs to go to the blue tent.

So they acknowledged it was a head hit, and took the player out of the game, but chose to not call the penalty? Odd that rules worked one way for Cincy and a completely different way for us.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
I guess I was just very surprised there was no flag. Defender led with his helmet and made solid contact.

He hit him with the shoulder.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The reffing was terrible yesterday (double-hold on Garrett anyone????), but I do recall the same as Peen where he hit with the shoulder.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The reffing has been so inconsistent all year for everyone it seems. I thought there was a time when they picked up a flag (it benefited us) that was lucky on our part

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it should have been a defenseless receiver flag vs anything

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
O
Legend
Legend
O
I felt the PI calls were consistently inconsistent for both teams. I didn't feel that the balance of calls/non-calls went either way (I thought we got away with a couple on some PBUs). At the end of the day, this is all you can reasonably hope for, IMO.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
I think it should have been a defenseless receiver flag vs anything

Sadly, I'm not great on knowing the ins and outs of the rules, but that would make more sense to me vs helmet to helmet.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
F
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I watched it 5-6 times and it was serious helmet to helmet contact. Maybe shoulder first, don't think so, but I remember Jabrill Peppers getting called for less of a hit on a Bengals receiver a few years ago. If hitting a player's shoulder first negates the helmet rule, then the helmet rule is sort of worthless.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Which angle did you see it from? The "recap" highlight to me isn't a good angle. There was another one though - during the game - that showed it from a "behind the OL" perspective and it didn't look like his helmet made contact with DPJ's. I'd be interested to see that again, to see if I'm off or not.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hard shoulder hit all the way. Head snaps back because the head is attached.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by clwb419
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

So they acknowledged it was a head hit, and took the player out of the game, but chose to not call the penalty? Odd that rules worked one way for Cincy and a completely different way for us.

It doesn’t have to be a hit to the head. A guy can land in his head and look woozy.

It was a close call and could have gone either way.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
The reffing was terrible yesterday (double-hold on Garrett anyone????), but I do recall the same as Peen where he hit with the shoulder.

Is it still holding if they're really just emphatically hugging Myles?

#strugglesnuggle

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: dawglover05
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
2 person Bear hug not called but a textbook tackle by the waist roughing the passer call 40 seconds later is. Whatever.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
T
Legend
Legend
T

It's only a Flag if the Browns are on defense and do it.
Remember the Kansas City Playoff Game and the hit on Rashard Higgins. at the 3 yard line.

If the League likes the other team more. That time KC, this time Cincy, then they'll allow whatever blatant dangerous hit to the helmet.
The Browns!

They can't push a guy in the shoulder arm, two hands out of bounds, while he's still holding the ball, if that player is a QB because the refs are biased.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

No he lead with his head. It was helmet to helmet. Is what I saw.
edit:
Actually It was Crown of the bengals players helmet

To the Ear of DPJ's helmet. and that's why DPJ got up and pointed at his EAR because there should have been the targeting flag!
That's what I saw

Last edited by THROW LONG; 11/08/21 04:03 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Hammer
Hard shoulder hit all the way. Head snaps back because the head is attached.

Hopefully it stays that way.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by dawglover05

Is it still holding if they're really just emphatically hugging Myles?

#strugglesnuggle

They acted like he was a friend they hadn't seen in a decade.

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
even if a flag was thrown, just would've been half the distance to the goal (only 1.5 yards) and we already had the 1st down so maybe it was a moot point?

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Bengals 16 Helmet to helmet against DPJ

Link Copied to Clipboard