Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Legend
Legend
P
What a difference a week makes! First to address OBJ. It certainly seems from any measurable this team is different with him gone. The question then becomes.... who does that say more about? I'm sure we've all been around a coworker or team member who is a malcontent. Yet in every such situation I've ever been in, those around them continued to do their job at a high level. Allowing one guy on a team be an excuse for everyone around him playing like shat to me says more about the rest of the team than it does OBJ. Now on to the game....

The D looked very different. Yes we've held teams to low point totals in other games but it just never looked or produced the way it did this week. Of course you have to attribute that to the players who stepped up, but I will also attribute that to the change of play calling. We ran more blitzes and were more aggressive. Something many of us have been calling for. It paid huge dividends. I'm sure the opposing personnel plays a big part in that so we will see how that goes moving forward. But if our secondary could cover the Bengals WR's in man coverage, there are a lot of teams we can do the same with. As for the unforced penalties. They looked dismal and were quite frustrating. But if anyone noticed, they all came in the first half. After coming out for the second half they had been cleaned up and were no longer an issue. The roughing call on Sheldon Day was total BS.

Baker played great. In situations that called for it he threw the ball away rather than force the issue. That's what smart QB's do. All QB's miss throws from time to time. Claiming "That's a throw he can't miss" when he made so many clutch throws in this game is nothing more than bias whether one recognizes that bias within themselves or not. I actually felt as if his left shoulder was preventing him from making the longer throws. The long one to DPJ provided the evidence that such a belief was false.

This was a team win on both offense and defense. People have already called out all of the great individual performances so I won't bother. All I will add is that sometimes we overlook players who are "just doing their jobs" for those who stand out on the field. Football is the ultimate team sport and without everyone else doing their jobs, the stars wouldn't shine near as brightly. So a big high five to all those role players for making our stars shine so brightly.

I'm still trying to keep things in perspective however. The lowly Jets beat them the week before. So while I'm very excited about the win I have to ask myself was it all us? Or are the Bengals in a bit of a funk that was a contributing factor? One thing about it, the Jets didn't hold them to 16 points. They gave up 31 points to the Bengals. On the other hand, even the lowly Jets put up 34 points on them. Stay tuned...

This game gave us a glimpse of what we can be. Hopefully it's a sign of what we will be moving forward. GO BROWNS!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not complaining, just struggling to understand how the same person calling for our secondary to give 5+ yards cushion on 3rd downs is the same one to blitz Joe Burrow and put Newsome 1-1 with Jamar Chase.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
P
Legend
Legend
P
I can think of two possible explanations off the top of my head but have no actual idea if they are correct. The first would be that it took this long to install having the ability to play this defense as a unit. There's a lot of moving parts that have to deploy in unison to accomplish playing an attacking style of defense so that you don't pay a heavy price for it. Second would be that playing it may be based on the opposing teams personnel. Even before the game I saw where Burrows does even worse than most other starting QB's under pressure. I was surprised that Cinci didn't run more screens and set up quick outlet throws to combat the pressure. But they didn't. So it could be things they found in the film room that made it known this was the best defense to beat them or it may be a maturation of the system. Or hell, it could be something totally different that I have no idea of. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

not holding?

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bird
Originally Posted by CalDawg
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Here’s a question for everyone:

Where does Chubb rank RIGHT NOW in terms of Browns RBs in history?

Surely Jim Brown is #1 … Leroy Kelly then?

And then …?
He's still got two Pruitts, a Motley and a Mack to pass... in my eyes. But his face is getting bigger in the rear view mirror week by week.

#1 in YPC
I could be wrong but I think Brown is the only rb to average over 100 yds per game for his career.
Jim Brown averaged 20 carries per game, 104 yards per game, 5.2 ypc
Nick Chubb is averaging 15.7 carries per game, 84 yards per game, 5.3 ypc

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do you have a screen shot that includes an official?

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I couldn't believe that. I know that they haven't been calling holding when it's against him for the most part, but that was moving the goal posts entirely.

Hell, he was even held during the play where he beat Williams for the sack.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I believe you are correct.

Also, I think that of runners with at least 5,000 Yards (or maybe it's 8,000), he is the only one to average over 5.0 yards per carry (Barry Sanders is right at 5.0).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Ronnie Harrison took just about the worst angle possible on a long Mixon run. It literally looked like he thought someone else had the ball or he just doesn't know how slow he is.

Funny you mention that. As I watched the game live, I remember yelling at the TV "What a HORRIBLE angle Harrison took, what was THAT?!?" I re-wound it to confirm my beliefs and yea, wow, it was as bad as I thought I saw.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Awesome game out of the whole team.

I thought the most important part of the game was the offense's first drive. It was a 7-7 game but the defense had been on the field for some 8 minutes striaght because of two long drives with a pick-six in the middle. The offense was able to carry the possession over to the second quarter, get another 7 points, and give the defense good rest. I felt really good about the game after that, because Cincinnati answering the pick six with another long TD drive could have been trouble for the Browns.

Baker looked better, i think there were still throws he'd like back, but overall it was the best he's looked in weeks.

Chubb had an amazing game

The defense played really well. I don't think Cincinnati has arrived like maybe they thought they have, but they are by no means a bad team. I'll take a divisional road win any way I can get it, and when you are able to win huge, that's awesome.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Nothing to see here. Move along. #ShaqGarrett

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

not holding?

There were two holds. They offset.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
5 members like this: WSU Willie, FORTBROWNFAN, GratefulDawg
Legend
Legend
rofl
Sadly, that is about the only feasible explanation!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted by Spergon FTWynn
Awesome game out of the whole team.

I thought the most important part of the game was the offense's first drive. It was a 7-7 game but the defense had been on the field for some 8 minutes striaght because of two long drives with a pick-six in the middle. The offense was able to carry the possession over to the second quarter, get another 7 points, and give the defense good rest. I felt really good about the game after that, because Cincinnati answering the pick six with another long TD drive could have been trouble for the Browns.

Baker looked better, i think there were still throws he'd like back, but overall it was the best he's looked in weeks.

Chubb had an amazing game

The defense played really well. I don't think Cincinnati has arrived like maybe they thought they have, but they are by no means a bad team. I'll take a divisional road win any way I can get it, and when you are able to win huge, that's awesome.

One other item i forgot to mention. Man, Greg Newsome II can BALL. What a great pick by the front office. He was all over the field yesterday. Ward is good, and had arguably the biggest play of the game, but Newsome has been so good all year.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
Legend
Legend
It happens so much it is disgusting.

You would think by now that offcials would be at the least paying attention???

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Milk posted that Walker like 12 tackles .. I must have fell asleep a part of the game.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
These DPJ numbers suggest that he’s gotta be a big part of the offense moving forward.

DPJ, Chubb, and Njoku are the playmakers right now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Ofeadi Odenigbo had a pretty impactful game. (number 57) I noticed him in a lot of replays.
Now!
I hope the coaches work with him, on how to annihilate quarterbacks, but do it nicely enough to never get a 15 yard penalty, similar to how Myles Garrett does.

Of course there is only one Myles Garrett.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

3 members like this: TrooperDawg, FORTBROWNFAN, Dave
J
Legend
Legend
J
Great game all the way around. I don’t remember enjoying a game that much in a long time. So much fun! I just hope we can maintain consistency going forward, duplicating this kind of performance. New England will be tough. We need to pull out a win.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Fun vid.

Rich Eisen describing Baker Mayfield is describing the epitome of what Browns players have always been about:

Underdawg.
Underappreciated.
Undervalued.
Underestimated.
Blue-collar.
Moxie.
Take no s#.
"Screw you- I'm doing this no matter what you say or think."

Any CLE fans who still hate on him because of the flag-plant need to go root for tOSU.
Or Buffalo.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: EveDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Any CLE fans who still hate on him because of the flag-plant need to go root for tOSU.

I think anyone who hates on him because of the flag-plant already roots for tOSU.

I said this then, and multiple times since. I am a big OSU fan, but that flag-plant did not bother me. He won a big game on the road, go ahead and celebrate. What did bother me is that he was surprised when he couldn't actually plant the flag in a turf field.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
3 members like this: Clemdawg, PitDAWG, oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Loved that Rich Eisen video

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Given the history of the Browns in finding a quarterback "the list".

Then add what the Browns record was for the two previous years before Baker arrived.

You would think that he would be wildly popular? I mean a Baker cult.

Not that he is an MVP. Or, no matter how he is ranked.

That he represents just what Eisen described and that he is Cleveland. He does have a chip on his shoulder.

And maybe more than anything he is a tough, hard nosed player who is a great teammate and a team leader.

Of course you have to win. But when was the last time we went to the playoffs before last year? And who made that happen?

Hell I wanted Sam Darnold. How has that turned out? He plays like his brain is unattached.

I have come to be a Baker guy. I see him just like Eisen and just as you stated:

Underdawg.
Underappreciated.
Undervalued.
Underestimated.
Blue-collar.
Moxie.
Take no s#.
"Screw you- I'm doing this no matter what you say or think."

Go Baker!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
What did bother me is that he was surprised when he couldn't actually plant the flag in a turf field.

This guy gets it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
I have yet to see a DB catch Chubb in the open field. He is as fast as anyone with pads on the field.

Wow,, now that you mention it, neither have I....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I have yet to see a DB catch Chubb in the open field. He is as fast as anyone with pads on the field.

Schwartz had a tweet about that 70 yard run. Something like "I could have caught him .... maybe"

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My wife and I have a joke that he runs like our old yorkie-poo after she got the zoomies.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Loved that Rich Eisen video

Am I the only one who thinks the Eisen videos are contrived and hard to watch?

O
Legend
Legend
O
His world is dominated by the likes of Colin Cowherd and Stephen A Smith. So no, I do not.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
ATTA BOY!!!!!!!

F all of you - love it. Go Baker, Go Browns...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the answer here is a simple one. There was nothing to brag about when he "tried" to plant that flag. There were other such incidents that gave a clear sign that he was immature. But is that unusual for young athletes? Hell, is it unusual in terms of young people at all? I don't think so. There was certainly a concern of whether he would outgrow that immaturity or not. Some people do and some people carry some arrogant chip on their shoulder their entire life.

So I'm a huge OSU fan. But once we draft a player he is a Brown. At that point none of the "OSU stuff" per say thing made any difference to me. The fact he acted that way anywhere at all did. Some of his other antics did. But it's clear to me and I think most anyone else who has watched his progression sees that he's outgrown that immaturity. That such things are no longer an issue. IMO there's always been a difference between moxy and arrogance. When Baker was younger he was arrogant and immature. What we've been left with is the moxy of Baker without the immaturity.

I couldn't have asked for more.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

21.07 MPH.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The sickest part is the "clutch". Dude slams it into fourth faster than any back I've ever seen at his size.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
The Cinci OL were wrapping there arms around MG neck on back to back to back plays. It's beyond ridiculous.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...56eb260e66d26dc3f84be0f1&oe=61B1489D

no flag for holding.
I think that was Stevie Wonder wearing stripes.
still ended in a 6.5 yard sack.

1 member likes this: archbolddawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
At 5'11" and around 230# his speed is amazing. A combination of speed, power and agility that's hardly ever heard of.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
At 5'11" and around 230# his speed is amazing. A combination of speed, power and agility that's hardly ever heard of.

Hence, my new sig.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
A
Legend
Legend
A

Not only does he not get caught from behind, he pulls away in the open field.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Bengals 16 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard