Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by DaveyD
At this point, who puts us in a better position to win a game. A banged up, inconsistent/inaccurate Baker or a healthy Case Keenum?

The guy who played against the Broncos was much better than what Baker was today.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At this point, who puts us in a better position to win a game. A banged up, inconsistent/inaccurate Baker or a healthy Case Keenum?

a healthy Nick Mullens.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What a crapshow.
Does the water in Lake Erie cause putrid football? A study should be done.
Did that JOKe play today? If he did,he's not much of a difference maker.
Chubb is outstanding,Garrett is good,the oline is good.The rest of this team are just guys,nothing special.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

I say play Keenum next week, then see where Baker is after the bye. At this point, Baker is not playing any better than Keenum would be. Get healthy for the late run.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Thank you for reminding me about that actually.

Man the weather sucked. I’m not saying baker gets that excuse for a lot of this horrible throws, but that was like those two games against the raiders and Houston last year where it was just a defensive game and who ran the ball the best.

There’s a lot we can talk about but we should be happy with a win and our playoff hopes alive.

We didn’t lose. We didn’t tie the game like the Steelers. We won.

We got Baltimore next. Maybe this teams surprises us and gets up for this game knowing we got the bye. Even with lamar, we have a shot to beat these guys. They have some truly lucky wins this year, including against this very Detroit team.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: Dave
Legend
Legend
From the eye test Keenum looked better than Baker today

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Only after the Browns defense gave up that embarrassing 57 yd TD run by the Lions Swift, did the Browns defense decide to begin playing as if the game was on the line. This defense is capable of playing damn good defense, WHEN THEY WANT TO!

The fact that some on our defense pick and choose when they want to put forth their maximum effort singles some serious issues for the Browns chances of making the playoffs. This defense is capable of playing playoff caliber defense, but only if they are willing to do so on every play. If they are not willing to give their max effort it is going to be a major problem for the Browns chances of making the playoffs.

Defense can win championships...but only if the Browns decide to give their best effort.

jmo, mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: Steubenvillian
1st String
1st String
It was a win that kept us in the playoff race. I'll take it!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns were lucky to win today. Nick Chubb is the man. Baker Mayfield should not be playing right now as he missed WIDE open throws today. This season is pretty much over considering the remaining schedule. Finishing 9-8 would be a miracle considering how inconsistent the play has been and how banged up the roster is. The defense needs a new coordinator, some talent at linebacker and a more aggressive attitude. The offense needs a new coordinator and probably a QB in the draft. NO chance Baker gets a long term contract the way he has performed and the Browns need to have someone ready to take over if next year goes to hell. Hate Baltimore but they will throttle the Browns with Jackson at QB these next two games unless something substantial improves. Such high hopes for this season too. Oh well.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A

(Imo) There's no way Baker doesn't start next week. Unless the arm actually falls off, I don't see the doctors or coach making that decision. I suspect Keenum will be taking 1st team reps this week in practice, and the pull chain will be much shorter on Baker for game day.

As far as who gives us the better chance, of the two possibilities, I still think Baker. But he should be pulled sooner rather than later if he looks like he did today and we are down by a couple scores.

I don't really like the idea of resting him in a game before the bye simply because we hope to go on a run after that. It's a divisional game, it's Baltimore and the run should start next week. Besides, I doubt the injury will be any better in terms of his guide arm or play after the bye.

Stick with your starter until you truly feel Keenum can take us on that "run".

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Play d
Run Chubb sounds like a equation for the playoffs.
Injuries everybody is in bad shape.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
You type really well.
lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was at the game. Luckily was a guest in a corporate box, so weather not an issue.

We're ... bad. The way we started, with the token drop by Hooper and a God-awful throw for a pick by Baker, I thought we were going to lose. Actually I am afraid we still might lose this one.

Props to Chubb. And at the end when the runs up the gut were getting stuffed, started going to the outside. Almost looked like an in-game adjustment.

Baker had a couple of really nice, perfect, throws. But he was missing guys everywhere. Missing them high, low, out front. Two yards away from a 6'5" Njoku on a screen and lobs it over his head.

Too many penalties - encroachment, neutral zone, offsides, offensive holding. Lucky the Detroit DBs were grabby.

Dying to hear about how bad the defense was. Gave up 10 points, and outside of a couple of plays pretty much shut down the Lions. But when its the defense's fault then Baker is off the hook.

With this latest trend, looking at 6-11.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
As always, glad we won the game. First win against Detroit since 2001. We improved our lifetime record with them to 6-19!!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

The Browns have scored 7 total points in the 4th quarter over their last 6 games.

Oy vey.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Congrats on the win.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I don’t see how Baker can start next week.

That kids got guts.. No question. Not sure how he was able to start today...

Ugly game.. A win is a win

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
Mayfield is done as our QB!

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Y’all sure do like to bitch about a win.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not a great game to watch. The play was sloppy and the teams seemed to lack energy.

The temps were around 45, but trust me, it felt colder than that. It was a pretty miserable day to sit and watch a football game.

A win is a win, is a win, but it didn't leave a good feeling in the stadium.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
A win is a win, is a win, but it didn't leave a good feeling in the stadium.

I wasn't excited about the win ..it made the Browns 6-5 and a chance to stay in a play-off birth...

I wasn't at the game today, thankfully my granddaughter had her birthday party today !

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Happy birthday to her!

Win and survive. Not much more for me to say about it.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
The play was sloppy and the teams seemed to lack energy.

I noticed that as well. Which is troubling that a team fighting for their playoff lives gave off the vibe that they'd rather be anywhere else but playing a game today. Saw this same thing in the Steelers game.

When you can't get up for these games, you haven't changed the culture yet, as much as everyone in the organization keeps saying it has changed. Everyone just going through the motions.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Same ol' same ol' Browns. Overly conservative coach allowing teams to come back on us. QB that can't be trusted (at least this time it's cuz he's injured not bad), Misusing personel to fit a scheme instead of making the scheme fit personel, and terrible refs robbing us, thank goodness later on they robbed the Lions even more so we could still win.

I don't understand why everyone except the Browns can see this same pattern for 30 years. 6-5 is so good compared to what we're used to, I'm just thrilled to be late November and still have a chance to make the playoffs, but that won't last more than this year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
A win is a win. I have never seen a team need a bye week as bad as this team. Hopefully, they can put it together next week and get a win before a much needed break.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
All Pro
All Pro
Meh...That is all.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did anyone else notice Detroit Oline jumping repeatedly and not getting flagged? Specifically the left tackle

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
A
Legend
Legend
A
It appeared that way, but I also remember Joe Thomas doing the same thing.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
"Baker Mayfield has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break."

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BADdog
Did anyone else notice Detroit Oline jumping repeatedly and not getting flagged? Specifically the left tackle

He kicked his leg back before he moved forward

Legend
Legend
It was a game that both teams probably just wanted to get over. Detroit has their showcase on Thanksgiving coming up and the browns have SNF in Baltimore coming up. Both teams assumed the outcome … there was zero energy from the start

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Man, I sure hope that's all it was, and that this team will look better in 7 days.
I was walking my dog after the game and a good bud txtd me. I wrote, "What a frustrating, lackluster game.:
It felt all too (1-31) familiar.

I really did spend 3 hours of my Sunday in a perpetual state of annoyance.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Baker avoiding the interview is going to be the scuttlebutt all week. The Tim Couch interview came to mind as well. The beginning of the end. The thought of this not working out is nauseating.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, the vibe is not good in Browns land right now

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Yeah, the vibe is not good in Browns land right now

Why do you always state the obvious?

Trying to keep your 20 post count a day going?

1 member likes this: jfanent
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It is much better to win ugly vs the Lions than playing well and lose vs the Chiefs and Chargers. Every year and every team that make the playoffs have to win a game or 2 win they play ugly. I remember in 1986 the Browns beat the Oilers who had a back up QB Oliver Luck 13 to 10 in Overtime. That was a 12-4 team. It happens.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
After looking around the NFL at the ups and downs of every team this season and watching teams we think are good getting beat by teams we don't think are any good, watching the best teams in the NFL get blown out by "average" teams... I am, more this year than most, happy for any W..

yebat' Putin
3 members like this: jfanent, DeisleDawg, Pdawg
Legend
Legend
I thought 2020 was the weirdest season ever: empty stadiums, players sidelined because of a virus instead of injury, a HC watching his team's playoff game from his basement family room...

This year looks more traditional/normal, but every week has been just as weird as last year. The standings are a dream for the league- a record number of teams are still in the playoff hunt, because of the parity they've hoped for. Any team can win any game.

As a Browns fan, it's been exhilarating at times, frustrating at others. As football fan, it's been crazy entertaining.

#keepnflweird

"too many notes, not enough music-"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Over/under of 50 percent of baker being here next year id take the under. As bad as Baker has been, stefanski has been 10x worse. His playcalling and game plans suck. Not turning to keenum and giving baker a fighting chance to heal is just asinine. If anyone would pick a game to play keenum, Anyone with half a brain would say the game playing a team without a win and playing a qb that’s thrown 4 passes as a pro. Stefanski was fools gold last year. Any goodwill or benefit of the doubt from last year is gone. He hasn’t proved to be any better than anything else we’ve had. His ego and refusal to concede playcalling has hurt this team. Baker will ultimately pay the price and the circle of suck will continue.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker is not going anywhere. His 5th year will decide what we do with him.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
1 member likes this: FrankZ
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Lions 10 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard