M
Originally Posted by Milk Man

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish
A win is a win.

But we beat the lions. Barely, because our QB tried to give this game away.

Baker plays like this against the ravens. Yes or no, are winning?

No one is saying Baker played well. You've written a couple posts like posters highlighting how hurt Baker is means he didn't play like monkey poop. He did. And I agree with the poster that sai it's selfish of Baker to go out there at this level of hurt and perform like that. I'd want KS to rest him and let him heal. But Bone's point was about whether what we're seeing is 'the real Baker' or not. And that's entirely valid. And I thought you would have understand a vent when you see one, and let it be a simple stand alone statement .

And - you keep going on about Baker nearly losing the the Lions and how woeful again, but you love Lamar and seem to not want to recognize the struggles and miracle win the Ravens pulled out when they played the Lions. You are ignoring the tie last week with Pittsburgh. Lions are 0-fer ... but they are a miles better team than the Browns were during their 0-fer year and the Lions have played a few good teams well. . . . none of which takes away from the fact that Baker was terrible. But it's all relevant to the general discussion.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/22/21 02:05 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent
I remember a point twd the end of the game where it was second down and Arrington said "Cleveland has a back that can close out a game". Right after he said that, the camera goes to Chubb leaving the field.

I think they were easing Chubb back in. If Johnson didn't do his usual excellent job with the ball in his hands, I might have stronger feelings about what we did. Chubb spent a LOT of time off the field until the very end.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O

IMO, this is concerning.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober

IMO, this is concerning.

He's lying.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Hammer
2. Answer the question - what week long illness keeps you out. Stomach flue, chicken pox, measles, regular flue???

I don't know. Are you saying the league/team is lying about testing Lamar or that they are testing him and he is testing positive and they aren't doing anything about it?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I remember a point twd the end of the game where it was second down and Arrington said "Cleveland has a back that can close out a game". Right after he said that, the camera goes to Chubb leaving the field.

I think they were easing Chubb back in. If Johnson didn't do his usual excellent job with the ball in his hands, I might have stronger feelings about what we did. Chubb spent a LOT of time off the field until the very end.

There were two points in yesterday's game when I was doubting Stefanski, and by "doubting" I mean curse words. One was the bomb to Bradley on a 3rd & 1, and the other was the 5-6 snaps when Felton replaced Chubb, and not Johnson. I think Johnson has clearly earned the right to any snaps when Chubb isn't on the field, at least as long as Hunt is out. Felton is a 3rd down situational RB, but never a featured RB.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Dave

There were two points in yesterday's game when I was doubting Stefanski, and by "doubting" I mean curse words. One was the bomb to Bradley on a 3rd & 1, and the other was the 5-6 snaps when Felton replaced Chubb, and not Johnson. I think Johnson has clearly earned the right to any snaps when Chbb isn't on the field, at least as long as Hunt is out. Felton is a 3rd down situational RB, but never a featured RB.

The third and one bomb was obviously a shot at a big play and then we were going to go for it on fourth down. We got a penalty and it killed us. Running Felton instead of Chubb and Johnson is an attempt to get the defense in passing down personnel and then hit them with the run. It didn't work because Felton weighs 120 pounds.

Legend
Legend
I agree with this.

Why in gods name is Felton getting those snaps instead of Johnson?

This is really annoying me. I get Felton flashes talent but he hasn’t come close to earning those touches over Johnson.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
"our QB tried to give this game away."

Really?

What a bs statement. Playing with a torn labrum, a broken bone tip, bone bruise on his heel, and a banged up knee.

Wanting to play a game in 40 degree weather with with rain and wind conditions. Knowing that DPJ, Schwartz, not playing, and having Jarvis playing hurt coming in and out of the game.

Stefanski makes the decisions on who starts and when they should be replaced.

And Baker tried to give the game away?

What utter nonsense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Speaking about " O " only ; made a list of what really bothered me about the game yesterday . One name kept jumping out " SKI " . I have no idea what happened to this O machine we had running last season ( mostly the same players ) but it came off the rails his year . I ubderstand the injury situation , but there is more to it .

Legend
Legend
The third and one bomb was obviously a shot at a big play and then we were going to go for it on fourth down. We got a penalty and it killed us.
And we do stuff like this all the time.

Like our first possession of the 4th quarter, we got the ball on our own 15, up by 6... had a chance to put the game away. We gained 40 yards on our first 3 plays but were still on our own 15 because of stupid penalties.. then ultimately Baker threw the tipped ball interception.

Our penalties are up 1.5 penalties and 15 more yards per game than last year...

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by cfrs15

There were two points in yesterday's game when I was doubting Stefanski, and by "doubting" I mean curse words. One was the bomb to Bradley on a 3rd & 1, and the other was the 5-6 snaps when Felton replaced Chubb, and not Johnson. I think Johnson has clearly earned the right to any snaps when Chbb isn't on the field, at least as long as Hunt is out. Felton is a 3rd down situational RB, but never a featured RB.

The third and one bomb was obviously a shot at a big play and then we were going to go for it on fourth down. We got a penalty and it killed us. Running Felton instead of Chubb and Johnson is an attempt to get the defense in passing down personnel and then hit them with the run. It didn't work because Felton weighs 120 pounds.

In the first case (3rd & 1 bomb), you were moving the chains, consistently owning the LOS - there was no need for the low percentage attempt. Get the 1st down and try it on 1st or 2nd down, if you want. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I say if something's working, keep doing it until they stop it.

With Felton, Stefanski's attempt to fool the Lions effectively (and needlessly) turned a strength into a weakness, IMO.

1 member likes this: Hammer
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
yes

Legend
Legend
In the first case (3rd & 1 bomb), you were moving the chains, consistently owning the LOS - there was no need for the low percentage attempt. Get the 1st down and try it on 1st or 2nd down, if you want. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I say if something's working, keep doing it until they stop it.
I get both sides of this... on 3rd and 1, if you know you are going for it and have confidence you can easily get 1 yard, taking a shot is a smart thing to do. You don't count on a false start, though maybe we should, it seems to happen a lot.

If you try it on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 6, and it doesn't work, then you are creating must-pass downs, which also goes against the game plan of grinding it out on the ground. Like our first drive after they scored a TD and we threw it all 3 downs... we had an illegal shift on 3rd down just for good measure but we hadn't gotten the first down so it didn't matter. I found it ironic that people complain that Stefanski abandons the run at the first sign of adversity. We were winning 13-0 based mostly on running the ball, the Lions scored to make it 13-7 and we had our first 3 pass series of the game..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
If you’re gonna be out there, perform.

Other teams are also hurt. You think those fans give a damn we’re hurt? You think the other teams care were hurt?

If you are out on the field, you are sending the message that you’re healthy enough to play at a high level.

So it’s you pulling the BS. If you wanna give baker a participation trophy for playing hurt, go ahead.

Our o line, starting RB, and receivers are out their blocking and running while hurt too. I give them credit cause they actually helped this team win.

You sound like bakers wife right now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by cfrs15

I don't doubt you, but I think that's an example of Stefanski overthinking. It's 3rd and 1. Just pick up the first down using a RB who happens to be really darn good at picking up yards...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
I get both sides of this... on 3rd and 1, if you know you are going for it and have confidence you can easily get 1 yard, taking a shot is a smart thing to do. You don't count on a false start, though maybe we should, it seems to happen a lot.

If you try it on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 6, and it doesn't work, then you are creating must-pass downs, which also goes against the game plan of grinding it out on the ground. Like our first drive after they scored a TD and we threw it all 3 downs... we had an illegal shift on 3rd down just for good measure but we hadn't gotten the first down so it didn't matter. I found it ironic that people complain that Stefanski abandons the run at the first sign of adversity. We were winning 13-0 based mostly on running the ball, the Lions scored to make it 13-7 and we had our first 3 pass series of the game..

Keep in mind, we are not talking about throwing a bomb to DPJ or a healthy OBJ or even Jarvis. We are talking about Jamarcus Bradley. As far as the shortcomings of trying it on 1st or 2nd down, you could always not try it at all. The Lions had no answer to Chubb or Johnson. The pass game is neutered right now because your QB is hurting and his receiver corps is decimated. You can't throw consistently when your wideouts are Higgins and Bradley, and you have 3 average-to-below average TE's.

O
Legend
Legend
O
It's not Baker's decision, though. It's Stefanski's. If you're problem is with all the bravado of playing while hurt, that's a bigger issue than just Baker.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Stefanski said he was healthy enough to play. Baker said he’s healthy enough to play.

So guess what I’m basing my criticism on? A healthy enough QB who was missing wide open receivers and throwing the ugly interceptions imaginable.

And then on top of that, being a complete baby by not shaking any hands. I actually thought yesterday he went straight to the medial room to get looked at. Nope, his ass went to the locker room, got his stuff and rolled out.

If you’re cool with trash performance followed by unsportsmanlike behavior, cool.

I am not.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not cool with any of it (the sportsmanship especially since that's 100% within his control and something we all thought was dealt with already).

Stefanski and the coaches, with the help of the docs, set the depth charts. Baker might have a say in that, but it's ultimately Stefanski's decision. So if the narrative is that Baker isn't healthy enough to start and be effective (and I think that's a PORTION of what's going on), that part falls on KS.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In general I think penalties were a bigger problem than Baker.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Which why I’m not rolling with the injury excuses.

Didn’t he have those same injuries in the bengals game? And I praised him all game long because he played great.

Same injuries against the patriots. Same injuries yesterday.

Posters are picking and choosing when they wanna blame injuries and when not. I keep the same standard across the board. If you’re on the field, what was your performance?

Just like when we lost a few weeks ago. I praised baker cause he was dropping dimes. The balls weren’t getting caught, and I dogged Landry that game, EVEN THOUGH HES INJURED.

The standard is the standard.

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
I think there were some new dings in the fenders from the New England game, but moreso, I think people are really underestimating the impact of the weather.

Very cold and wet all day. Both QBs were sailing balls high early; balls likely coming out early. Toward the end of the game, we say Boyle, and even Baker a couple of times, throw a few in the dirt. My immediate take was over-compensation for the slick grip and aiming a bit lower in case they sail. In the dirt is better than going high and ending in an INT. That's just the cold and wet.... but, there was wind, too. We saw how much on the missed FG. If you think he just hit a curve ball, you're wrong. His first kick for the XP damn near missed because of the same winds. I have no idea what it felt like down at the stadium, but even 35 miles south of there the winds weren't idle. People in the gameday thread tried telling that this weather shouldn't affect him because of where he was drafted, but that's utterly foolish so I just ignored that thread after that; there was nothing of value in there.

Now, combine all of that with the injuries and STILL getting the snot beat out of him more because Hance should NOT be the RT, and we saw about what I'd expect.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

3 members like this: WSU Willie, mgh888, FATE
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ssshhhh - you are making too much sense.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I hope we shut down Baker for this weekend - let him get 2 weeks rest - his body needs it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Speaking of Hance playing RT, I guess there's a chance that Conklin (and Hunt) return to practice this week, which would be very good news.

Legend
Legend
Getting this squad healthy again would end one of the roughest, most difficult stretches I've ever seen this team go through.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
That’s fine for the first two quarters. But our QB has to adjust to account for that.

Bakers second INT had nothing to do with the elements. I’m not sure he even saw that LB sitting underneath.

And there were a couple of sideline throws he straight up missed. The elements….like come on Purp. I understand you point. But if I agree, then guess what’s also true?

We better hope we’re always on the road in the playoffs against an afc south or west team, because our QB can’t play in the elements. Just like last year in the raiders and Texans game.

The weather is only gonna get worse.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's part of my issue. He has at times played well with this same injury. Then at times he has stunk it up. Yet when he plays poorly all we hear about is the injuries. Here's the thing. I've never questioned Bakers physical ability. I've never questioned his toughness. But it does seem odd how people applaud his play when he does well with these injuries and then use them as an excuse when he plays badly. I mean if Baker and the doctors say he's healthy enough to play, are some saying the Doctors and Baker have no clue what they're talking about? Because it sure seems like it.

Baker was missing wide open throws. Had bad decision making. Those aren't "piling on". Those are just the facts.

So one must conclude one of two things. Either Baker and the team doctors are lying through their teeth or Baker is just playing terribly. Everyone will have their own take on that but let's not pretend that is the choice we're making depending on which stance we take on the matter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Swish
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Hammer
yes

Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams.

Legend
Legend
Ok sure he went out there and tried to give the game away.
A bit overboard for an implication. Would you not agree?

Every game and every circumstance always remains the same. I don't think so.

So everyone is hurt but is Baker who wants to give the game away?

If you actually think his play yesterday is indicative of who he is then so be it.

I see things differently. But never expect everyone to see it the same way.

I see a team that is one dimensional on offense that is inconsistent because of many factors.
The quarterback is injured. The receivers are below average as a group. There have been injuries that resulted in key starters missing games.
The coaching game plans have been lacking. In game adjustments have been poor. There have been way to many penalty's. As a team they have not played consistent complimentary football.

Their record reflects precisely who they are as a team.

Finally, Baker is capable of playing well. He also is far from perfect. He makes mistakes not unlike others. He has had great games and poor games.

No matter the quarterback. I have seen much the same from many. I know he is no Aaron Rodgers.

However, there have been quarterbacks that are not as good as Baker who have won Super Bowls. I believe with a good team around him he could also.

This team is not good enough.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Everyone said we were better without OBJ. Now that OBJ is gone they say our WR's stink? That seems pretty odd to me. I see Higgins got plenty of reps. People must think he sucks now too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Speaking of Hance playing RT, I guess there's a chance that Conklin (and Hunt) return to practice this week, which would be very good news.

I dont see how Conklin returns. It's a 8 to 10 week injury from what I understand

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Using Felton as a RB gives me fond memories of "Metcalf up the middle"

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by slick

I dont see how Conklin returns. It's a 8 to 10 week injury from what I understand

Legend
Legend
I am not everyone. I never said much about our receivers.

Besides missing games injured. When he did play what did Odell do?

Do you consider Higgins a number one receiver?

Is he getting paid like one?

How about Schwartz?

Has Jarvis missed games this year? Is he really healthy? Has he had drops when he did play?

Did DPJ play? How long as the sixth round pick last year has he played as a starter?

So what are you saying? Do we run a spread offense with dynamic star recievers in an air attack offense?

How would you grade the receivers as a group?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Could someone who was at the game fill me in on the number of boos Mayfield was getting in the 4th quarter? Just heard Daryl Ruiter saying it was a "significant amount". If so, that might also be a reason for the walk off after the game.

I couldn't count them all, but it was loud. At that point there were probably 40,000+ in the seats, so I would say 25,000?

I am not sure if they were all so much aimed at Baker as much as frustration with the entire offense and offensive game plan. Most of the time it looked like we were all wearing middle shoes yesterday.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Dave
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Lions 10 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard