Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
I will take the heat about Baker.

He played a bad game. I think he owns that.

However, I disagree with a lot about what is said about Baker.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I am so glad Baker plays in an outdoor stadium in Cleveland

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
It maybe useful to play his press interview instead of a phrase out of context.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Hammer
yes

Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams.

it can if it is on fire

Joe Thomas #73
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by BADdog
yes

it can if it is on fire

Whoa

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
No swish, being out on the field does not mean you are capable of “performing at a high level”. Baker being out there means that in the opinion of our coaches he gives us a better chance to win than his backup does. These are the coaches who watch both practice every week. If they think baker at 70% gives us a better chance to win than case k does , then he should be out there trying his best to win. Our coaches want to win even more than we fans do.

Most of us have seen how baker performs when healthy. the people on here who are judging a wounded baker are foolish and I do not think team leadership will do that. He will be our qb next year IMO.

2 members like this: mac, Dave
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Everyone said we were better without OBJ. Now that OBJ is gone they say our WR's stink? That seems pretty odd to me. I see Higgins got plenty of reps. People must think he sucks now too.
I think we are better off without obj. Clearly dude did not want to be here.

I think our wr core is way below nfl average.

What is it you are confused about? Both these things can be true and many probably share my opinion.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yes

it can if it is on fire

Whoa

Srsly?

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I am Sick and Tired!!
After 26 years, since the announcement.

That , the state of this team, going into this week!

The confidence we should all put into what kind of team is going to take the field on game day.
Does any thing they project appear that this team is even going to be fielding a team that consists of all of it's parts, working together as a well oiled machine.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Did Baker stink it up on Sunday? Yes

Does Baker stink? No

Will Baker be our QB next year? Yes

Will Baker be our QB after next year? Maybe.

Did the coaches make a mistake in playing Baker last week? No

Did the coaches make a mistake in playing him the whole game? Yes

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: CBFAN19
Legend
Legend

I disagree. They should have sat him thru the bye week once the Pats game got out of hand. The shoulder's not going to heal, but the rest of those aches and pains....as well as his psyche.... would've had a month to recover.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
I will take the heat about Baker.

He played a bad game. I think he owns that.

However, I disagree with a lot about what is said about Baker.

Me too. I ride with 6. Injuries, maybe, but something is TOO wrong here. We've seen 'damn good Baker' too many times for it to be a complete fluke. Given time, maybe into next season, but I think they will fix the issues once and for all soon. You can't fix injuries.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think our WR corps is beat up. DPJ not being out there is suddenly a big hole. I can't wrap my head around Higgins not being effective, but then again I've never really understand what our deal has been with him. Jarvis hobbled also really hurts as he's a stick-mover and a momentum guy. Njoku's suspect hands have returned somewhat.

I still like our WR corps, I just don't like their status at this point. DPJ having hammy issues that spring up midweek points to a nagging injury that he's going to be hobbled with all season. Jarvis is going to be hobbled with all the things he's dealing with all season. Njoku needs a refocus (again, but not so major this time).

I do think, based on what we know at this point, the offense is better off without OBJ. That doesn't mean we don't still have issues to work through (in the WR room AND with Baker).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Did Baker stink it up on Sunday? Yes

Does Baker stink? No

Will Baker be our QB next year? Yes

Will Baker be our QB after next year? Maybe.

Did the coaches make a mistake in playing him the whole game? Yes

tsktsk I am not sure that common sense is allowed around here.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I guess in the end you are either on board with Baker or are not.

All that surrounds him. This is who he is. Baker has not changed as a person. He is the same guy who was a walk on.

He has had to battle adversity and doubt his whole career. It is what made him who he is. He has a fire inside that he goes to when people trash him.

As a player on the field in college he was shooter. 300 and 400 yard games were common.

Since being drafted to the Browns. He has been coached and asked to play in the scheme provided. Count the ways.

Is the scheme we currently run a fit? I don't know. The Browns personnel and the scheme leans on the run game. Why not when you have the OL and backs we have.

It is the strength of the talent on the roster. Currently our receiver group is below average. IMO that is pure fact.

Baker runs the plays called. AVP and Stefanski put heavy emphasis on ball protection and turnovers. That is understandable.
When you go back and look at the balance between run and pass. It is almost always 50/50.

Odell was supposed to be our number receiver. That never worked out. We don't have a number one receiver.
Jarvis is a slot guy. He is not a deep vertical threat. Schwartz is far from a being a complete receiver. Higgins is limited. He is a guy who can settle into zones but struggles to get separation in man coverage. DPJ is a young guy who is getting better. However, he is not number one receiver.

So, Stefanski and AVP try to be efficient with who they have on the roster. We use 3 TE sets. But none of the TE are in the same class as Kelce or Kittle.

We are not a passing offense like the Bucs, KC, Chargers, Packers, or the Cardinals.

My guess is this off season the offense will try to become more dynamic in the passing game. Jarvis, and Higgins, will most likely be gone. We may add free agents and draft picks to upgrade.

I do not see a realistic plan B at quarterback. IMO Berry will roll with Baker. In fact I believe he will get a new contract if he will accept their price. If not he will be on a year to year till a decision is made.

1 member likes this: Hammer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jarvis, and Higgins, will most likely be gone

I dont think so Jarvis is too big of a motivator and producer to let go, and that would only leave us with Peoples. Who I like.

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M

Jarvis, and Higgins, will most likely be gone

I dont think so Jarvis is too big of a motivator and producer to let go, and that would only leave us with Peoples. Who I like.

Jarvis is set to make $16.5M next season. The Browns can save $15M by releasing him next season.Unless he agrees to a significant pay cut he will not be on the roster next season. He knows this as well and in all likelihood his lack of opportunities and production this season is probably weighing on him in the back of his mind knowing he's going to hit the market after putting up a career low in numbers.

I say this as a Landry fan, but reality is reality.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
Legend
Legend
I am a huge Jarvis fan. You may be right.

At the same time he will be 30 next year and is due $14.3 mil.

His cap hit goes from $15.5 mil this year to $1.5 next year and he becomes UFA in 2023.

That will be a Berry decision. I am far from a manage the cap guy.

Thirty is kind of a magic number in football.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think this offseason will tell us more about our FO and coaching staff than either of the previous ones. Lots and lots of important decisions to make.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
What I'm saying is that fans often times have a skewed view of what they are seeing. If we were better off without OBJ, and people were using the actual performances to make that point, we should be producing better now that he's gone. We're not. People's claim was this WR group and Baker produced much better without OBJ. Not that they sucked. My point was never that we were better with OBJ. My point is based on the results it seems like it really doesn't make any difference.

I'll go the same route yet in the opposite direction with Higgins. This board has gone crazy about Higgins. Saying what a chemistry he and Baker have together. How he should be getting far more playing time. Well he got it and the results are exactly what we saw.

Pre season most posters were talking about the wealth of talent we had at WR. Now they're saying they suck.

So my point is reading this board it's easy to see that the opinions have changed, and change regularly for the most part depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IMO I think the receiver group is below average.

I have stated why I believe that.

I am not letting Baker off the hook for poor performances. He has been inconsistent in his play in a number of areas.

I will take him and his faults because I don't see a good plan B.

At the same time it is clear the receiver group needs to be upgraded. Odell was fools gold. Schwatz has shown little. Jarvis is hurt and is limited in vertical routes. DPJ is a six round pick playing in his second year.

We need more. We need a real number one receiver. DPJ has promise as a number two. Felton could play slot.

Then we can get a number of guys as backups. Just my take.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jfanent

I disagree. They should have sat him thru the bye week once the Pats game got out of hand. The shoulder's not going to heal, but the rest of those aches and pains....as well as his psyche.... would've had a month to recover.

I think that is a hindsight comment. Only the coach knows how he played in any practice. Obviously he didn't play well, thus the reason why I said to pull him at the half.

If it was to be a move for him to get healthy, I don't think he is getting healthy anytime soon. One also has to consider the situation. The Lions game was pretty much the season. To me, you go in with your top guns. I don't think it would have gone over well had we not played Baker and lost.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm with jfan on sitting 6 after the NEP game was out of reach.
I would still have played him v. DET.

Re the rest of your post: spot on.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think you "are either on board with Baker or you're not". That's what's wrong with things now. People feel lines in the sand must be drawn one way or the other. That's simply not so. I'm neither for signing him to a long term, big money extension right now nor am I ready to run him out of town. We've seen both good Baker and bad Baker. I think anyone using every excuse possible to explain why we've seen bad Baker have drawn a line in the sand. I think all of those who claim Baker is solely responsible for everything we are seeing has drawn a line in the sand. There are things we know and things we don't know. Everything else is pure guesswork.

The team doctors have been clearing Baker to play. Baker says he's ready to play. The coaches all watch him throw during the week. They watch him move around and run. We all saw him running to celebrate the TD Sunday. These are things we all know. I feel it would be hard to believe that what the coaches are seeing during the week is what we are seeing on Sundays. Surely they wouldn't continue starting a QB hobbled with injuries to the point he wasn't performing at practice during the week.

For the past two weeks we've seen Baker pass for exactly one pass over 50%. Had he completed one less pass in either of those games he would have completed less that 50% of his passes. Yet the previous week against Cincy he competed 66.7% of his passes and two TD's. And anyone who watched can blame the WR's all they want, but clearly Baker's accuracy has been way off and it isn't the WR's throwing the ball.

People blamed the fact we weren't using play action enough which is Bakers bread and butter. But the stats were posted on the board show we are using play action on exactly the same percentage of plays we were last year when we were so successful.

Now even with saying all of this, I've seen the talent Baker possess. So something is certainly going on here. I've seen what Baker can do, how he can be extremely accurate. How he can motivate the team when he has the it factor going. So there's certainly no determination on my part on which Baker is the real Baker.

I actually feel my take is the best for everyone concerned in terms of Bakers future here for everyone involved. My take is let's let Baker play out at least a majority of his fifth year option before anyone signs a contract. And I think that's not only smart from the teams perspective but from Bakers as well. Here's why.....

If you were Baker, would you want to be negotiating a deal where you were performing as you are now? Would you want this season to be the last mark on your record going into contract negotiations? To me that would only serve to diminish your value and have you negotiating from a position of weakness.

If you were the team, would you want to be signing a long term deal with a QB who has performed the way he has this season?

To me it seems it would be smart on the part of both parties to take a further look. To allow Baker to heal. If in fact an off season can bring back good Baker is all is well on the part of both parties. Bakers value would increase in terms of a contract. The team would be confident in extending him. I don't see how that opinion favors either side.

You see, I'm not one who doesn't think Baker isn't a very talented and capable QB. We're just not seeing that right now and I have my reasons for not buying into some of the excuses being given. I have spelled out my reasoning for that. But I'm also not one who is trying to claim that what we've seen lately is the entire book on Baker, but it's simply a chapter in the book. I want to see what next season brings before I make any determination on Baker.

Now maybe you see that as "not being on board with Baker". I don't. I see it as a "wait and see" on Baker that wants to see how it plays out. But as I said earlier, we now live in a time where a lot of people feel that some line in the sand must be drawn.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If it was to be a move for him to get healthy, I don't think he is getting healthy anytime soon. One also has to consider the situation. The Lions game was pretty much the season. To me, you go in with your top guns. I don't think it would have gone over well had we not played Baker and lost.
Oh dear Lord... if the medical staff cleared Baker to play and Baker said, "Nah, I don't think I'm good enough to go, give the ball to Case."

There is a large contingent of Browns fans who would be out there storming the cowards house and screaming about how soft he is and how he is letting his team down and citing every other player who has ever played with even the most modest of injuries and stating that he just doesn't understand what it means to be a Brown and to play in the AFCN.... and some of them are on this MB... they will say in hindsight that's what should have happened, but had it happened in the moment, they would have had a completely different perspective.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you think the coaching staff is starting a QB who performs the same in practice all week as the way he is performing on Sunday? I would find it hard to believe that if he looked that poorly in practice from an accuracy standpoint all week they would be trotting him out there on Sundays.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think it would have gone over well had we not played Baker and lost.

How would it have gone over, had they played A Healthy QB, (Keenum), and won by a comfortable, dominating margin!
As it is now. DYSFUNCTION!!!
The coaches decision has me flamingmad

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by jfanent

I think that is a hindsight comment. Only the coach knows how he played in any practice. Obviously he didn't play well, thus the reason why I said to pull him at the half.

The Lions game was the season??? The Ravens game is 'not the season???
I re-read, you admit Baker is not healthy, so he may be "injured"

Do you Honestly think, injured Baker, is a better option than Healthy Keenum, Today! I don't.

and given that shoulder, the shoulder alone, from two weeks ago, if he were out two weeks ago, he probably couldn't be ready to play until the Cincy game week 18 from that time.
History has shown, that playing injured players leads to compensating movements and compensating movements which cause more different injuries.

Does anybody honestly think, injured Baker is a better option than healthy Keenum, or even a healthy player like Kyle Lauletta was, when it comes to what it will take to beat the Ravens.

The Current Coaches flamingmad have a History, flamingmad of doing this same kind of stuff.

P
Legend
Legend
P
At this point since making the playoffs is the immediate goal, every game is the season. Which by Peens logic means no matter what, unless Baker goes out on a stretcher, we should never start Keenum.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At this point since making the playoffs is the immediate goal, every game is the season. Which by Peens logic means no matter what, unless Baker goes out on a stretcher, we should never start Keenum.
Regardless of whatever Peen said, or whatever you think he said, or anything I've said or anybody else has said.... if, at any point, the coaching staff thinks Keenum gives us a better chance to win, none of us would be opposed to starting him. If that doesn't happen, then we all have to assume the coaching staff still believes Baker gives us the better chance.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
True. Whether they're right or wrong. But I guess that sort of shoots the theory of Baker being somehow the walking wounded full of holes if the coaching staff is right.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
OK post game thoughts. Congrats to Hank Fraley for his work with the Lions offensive line. He has done wonders with the talent they have, and deserves some credit.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
3 members like this: PitDAWG, Pdawg, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Hank is coaching? Cool!
Somehow, I feel like I knew that, but also like I didn't know. Weird. Either way, very happy for him and hope he keeps kicking butt whenever his team isn't playing against us.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
True. Whether they're right or wrong. But I guess that sort of shoots the theory of Baker being somehow the walking wounded full of holes if the coaching staff is right.

No...it means an injured Baker gives us a better chance to win than a healthy Keenum. Baker can be severely injured and still be better than Keenum.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It must seem terrible to you for our FO to spend so many millions of dollars for a back up QB that can't perform better than our "walking wounded" starter. Which is an odd thing to say because Keenums stats are much better than what we've seen the past couple of weeks at the QB position.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
At this point the Browns control their own destiny, if they win every game, no team can catch them for the division.
Worst could happen is tied 12-5 with either Baltimore or Cincy while having swept them in the head to heads. Or having a 1/2 game lead on the Steelers.

If the Browns win all their games, 6-0 they win the division, no matter what anybody else in the division does, because they'd have to lose to the Browns, twice in the Ravens case, once in the steelers case, and once more in the Bengals case.

If the Browns lose or tie, even once from here on out, they won't control their destiny. But today they still do \0/

10 games ahead, win them all and they would be Super Bowl Champions. The Cleveland Browns.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
As much as I would love to see that happen I wouldn't bet on it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Lions 10 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard