Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by steve0255
This loss was entirely on Stefanski. You have your QB getting rushed by 6 people while sending out 3 TE's being defended by DB's they can't get separation from. Who in the hell ever heard of an offense playing 1 WR? Until Stefanski gets fired or we get an offensive coordinator to call the game we can expect the same every game. There's no QB in the NFL that can have 6 people rushing him every play and expect success with only 1 WR and 3 TE's all dropping passes. Book on the Browns - rush 6 and stack the box because the receivers can't beat you and the coach cannot or won't adjust.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't make your QB a game control QB and then expect him to suddenly throw 35 times to receivers who are only used to being targeted 3 times a game. When the play action is dead, the Browns receivers are incapable of getting separation. Hell the Ravens didn't even need safeties against the Browns - Baker only had enough time to throw 5-10 yard passes and his receivers either didn't have separation or dropped the ball. This loss is all on Stefanski again!

Look, having a dominate running game is awesome until you can't run. Then you have to adjust - something the Browns have failed to do this entire season and that's on Stefanski - PERIOD!

A final thought - for all you people who have the day dream that Wilson, Rodgers, or Watson needs to come to the Browns - there is no way in hell any of those guys are going to come to Cleveland to play in a game controlled run only offense to throw only 20 times a game. You're out of your mind if you believe any of those players would even consider Cleveland for a fleeting moment - NOT IF STEFANSKI IS THE HEAD COACH - no way no how!

DING DING.. we have a winner!!!.. and BTW, other teams see this and will be loading the box for the rest of the season!!.. they will dare cleveland the throw.

1st String
1st String
This has to be a joke, right?

Legend
Legend
Is baker allowed to audible at all? Does he have any say so in the game plan? So many times this season it appears Stefanski has taken any sort of control out of mayfield on the field.

I rather have 2019 baker than this version.

And I told y’all weeks ago to start checking Stefanski. He either wants his QB to play this freaking conservative, or he just doesn’t trust baker.

I don’t know what it is but man…like how did we get so pass happy in a defensive game? No commitment to running the ball whatsoever, ok.

But if you don’t commit, atleast cut baker loose. Dude doesn’t want to run the rock OR throw it down field. Good lord man

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: mgh888
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
Our last possession was somewhat analogous of entire passing game..

Play 1 - Baker is under pressure immediately because Wills got beat right off the snap. He somehow manages to get the ball out of bounds.
Play 2 - Has a little time, back shoulder throw to Jarvis, either the throw was too far behind him or... Jarvis waited too long to turn back.... either way, he was well covered but it was a makeable play if Baker and Jarvis had been on the same page.
Play 3 - Hits Hooper in the hands, well covered but could have been caught and would have given us 3rd and 1, didn't catch it.
Play 4 - Hits the underneath route but tackled before the first down..

Our offensive passing game in 4 plays.

BTW DCDAWGFAN, if you think about it, this is a recurring theme when the Browns offense gets the ball and needs to pass. That last series sums it up.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted by steve0255
This loss was entirely on Stefanski. You have your QB getting rushed by 6 people while sending out 3 TE's being defended by DB's they can't get separation from. Who in the hell ever heard of an offense playing 1 WR? Until Stefanski gets fired or we get an offensive coordinator to call the game we can expect the same every game. There's no QB in the NFL that can have 6 people rushing him every play and expect success with only 1 WR and 3 TE's all dropping passes. Book on the Browns - rush 6 and stack the box because the receivers can't beat you and the coach cannot or won't adjust.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't make your QB a game control QB and then expect him to suddenly throw 35 times to receivers who are only used to being targeted 3 times a game. When the play action is dead, the Browns receivers are incapable of getting separation. Hell the Ravens didn't even need safeties against the Browns - Baker only had enough time to throw 5-10 yard passes and his receivers either didn't have separation or dropped the ball. This loss is all on Stefanski again!

Look, having a dominate running game is awesome until you can't run. Then you have to adjust - something the Browns have failed to do this entire season and that's on Stefanski - PERIOD!

A final thought - for all you people who have the day dream that Wilson, Rodgers, or Watson needs to come to the Browns - there is no way in hell any of those guys are going to come to Cleveland to play in a game controlled run only offense to throw only 20 times a game. You're out of your mind if you believe any of those players would even consider Cleveland for a fleeting moment - NOT IF STEFANSKI IS THE HEAD COACH - no way no how!

Wilson has played in a offense like that. In fact, he thrived when he had a solid running game: 257/407 63.1% 3,357 yds 8.2 ypa 26 TD 9 INT That's from one year. Sometimes you need a QB to go off script and make plays for your team when things aren't going right - that's what the Browns are missing compared to the other 3 QB's in their division.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
The bad

Incredibly predictable play calling on O
stupidity and/or mistakes
+ 5 drops
+ Jarvis fumble
+ Baker fumble
+ Personal fouls (2)
+ Leaving Mark Andrews wide open multiple times
+ missed FG

The good

Close game despite the above
4 INT
At times we looked like we were defending them like Miami did when they beat Baltimore.
Jarvis looked pretty much back to normal
JOK was a beast
Myles got #14
a week break will help us heal, and hopefully draw up some new plays on O

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

- The DPJ drop on the first drive was huge. McLaughlin missing the FG was foreshadowing at its finest.

- The Browns scored 3 points off of 4 defensive turnovers. Unacceptable.

- Stefanski was completely overwhelmed. The early 4th and 2 where the Ravens were going to punt and then ran Lamar back on the field, followed by the Browns with 12 men on the field only to be called for 12 men on the field after a timeout said it all. Just embarrassing.

- Steafanski has zero feel for the game or situational awareness as evidenced by his decision making after the Delpit INT. Run the ball, eat clock, kick the FG and be thankful to tie it up at the half after a mess of a first half. This reminds me of him going deep to Bradley the previous week on 3rd and 1 against the garbage Lions. Zero situational awareness. He's a robot. This cost the team points and possibly the game.

- Stefanski is really bad off script and seems to be searching for answers.

- Baker limped around with some pride injuries.

- Hats off to the defense. They showed up. Hat tip for you as well Joe Woods.

- Austin Hooper is stealing money. That's on Berry. Probably going to lose Njoku because Browns are stuck with bloated Hooper contract.

- Ravens went for several 4th downs early knowing that if they failed there was zero chance Baker would make them pay.

- Baker in the last two possessions could not muster a single first down. 3 plays for 5 yards and 4 plays for 7 yards. Not a winner.

- Baker is the ultimate overachiever. He's the guy on your high school team still slapping the gym floor after running the 78th straight suicide while everyone else is on the verge of puking. Charlie Hustle, but lacks true talent and is all heart. Not good enough at the professional level, definite hometown hero though.

- Season over. It was actually over after the Patriots drubbing if we're being honest with ourselves.

Cue up the tradition...

2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted by Swish
Is baker allowed to audible at all? Does he have any say so in the game plan? So many times this season it appears Stefanski has taken any sort of control out of mayfield on the field.

And I told y’all weeks ago to start checking Stefanski. He either wants his QB to play this freaking conservative, or he just doesn’t trust baker.

I don’t know what it is but man…like how did we get so pass happy in a defensive game? No commitment to running the ball whatsoever, ok.

But if you don’t commit, atleast cut baker loose. Dude doesn’t want to run the rock OR throw it down field. Good lord man

I don't think he trusts Mayfield. I really don't. I think he wants his own guy at QB. I would hope that you guys don't do something crazy like trade for Jimmy G. If you're going to go for a QB, either go big or go home.

Legend
Legend

You also noticed that there were a number of plays where the Ravens defense had loaded up one side of the field against the run and rather than check out of it, we ran right into it anyway? Like either Baker didn't see it or wasn't allowed to change it.. either way, that's a problem.

Collinsworth said, at one point, that Lamar just looks like he's always having fun out there... Baker used to look like that. Now, he celebrates big plays but other than that, he looks tight, looks like he's pressing, looks like he's trying to be too perfect, looks like he's scared to death to make a mistake.... rather than just playing the game....

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's what you get when you have a game control QB. Stefanski wants Baker to not make a mistake and let the RB's win the game with good defense. Early in the year the defense wasn't performing up to par. Now the defense is playing ball but teams are stacking to stop the run and Stefanski cannot or won't adjust. I don't believe Baker has the option to audible and with playing 3 TE's it almost eliminates any downfield plays to open up the run. The Browns are losing because of scheme and a QB that has been changed from a gunslinger into a game manager. It certainly appears that Stefanski has zero intention of changing up the offense so the rest of the season is going to be much like what we watched tonight.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: Tackman
M
Legend
Legend
M
I know the exact play you're both talking about. Mayfield has become a robot much like Stefanski. Zero feel or awareness for the game. Lots of self reflection examining in the off season.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Legend
Legend
I don't wish ill on anybody... but if something were to happen and Stefanski had to be sidelined and AVP got to call the plays in 2 weeks when we play the Ravens again, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Just general curiosity, I would like to see how that goes.

yebat' Putin
1st String
1st String
JOK played a great game. He made some nice plays and his quickness was on display

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Stefanski says he needs to get better....again..it's week 12.

Followed by...

M
Legend
Legend
M
When it rains it pours. From the always controversial Dr. David Chao...

E
Legend
Legend
E
At least Stefanski realizes he needs to improve.

I dont know if coaches have a sophmore slump, but sure seems like it.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns is the Browns...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Long December....

R
Legend
Legend
R
Stefanski always says he needs to get better. He says it every week.

Meanwhile Hunts dad is now eviscerating Mayfield on Facebook. Oy vey.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

I never thought we'd be here again this season, but here we are. Oy vey, indeed.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Man, if ever a team could write a book on caving under expectations, the Browns are it.

It extends all the way to players families. Everyone is losing their minds.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I never thought we'd be here again this season, but here we are. Oy vey, indeed.

Unfortunately there were a ton of signs with Mayfield. The fact that he could never beat anyone good or put a team on his back were huge red flags. But that's not very popular around here.

I always said the team will go.as far as he could take them. Never thought his own coach would also be a detriment. Not after last year. Thought that had been solved. Now, everything is muddy again.

Have to chalk it up to an off year. Stefanski and Mayfield should be back next year. Hopefully it gets better.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
The Browns is the Browns...

I wonder if the Browns were involved in the tie game.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
R
Legend
Legend
R
One other final thought. There's no way Kareems dad isn't getting info from his son. Baker is afraid to throw the ball. He's been afraid since Schwartz screwed him in week 2. Many people, fans and film guys, have been saying it.

The team sees it too.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I am so disgusted with this team. Especially the coaching staff .. We have wasted so much salary cap money these last 3 seasons which was supposed to be part of a 3 to 5 year plan to make and win superbowl. Pretty soon we will be in salary cap hell. I. Also disgusted with myself for actually believing we would win it all this year.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Some positives from my perspective:

- JOK can really, really play. He was made for the Baltimore matchup. And he’s gonna be a star if he stays healthy.

- Props to the defense for a great performance. We did all we could on that side of the ball.

- Safety play was good as well. The one miscommunication cost us (and yes, Andrews bailed them out against us again)

Some bad vibes:

- Were we not prepared for the 8 man box and cover one stuff? I mean, that’s what Wink Martindale was gonna do.

- Our WRs aren’t good. Can’t separate. No YAC. That’s a painful group to watch against teams who challenge us on the line.

- Wills has really struggled when I’ve seen him this year. Cost us last night.

- Feel bad for Conklin. Sensing it’s gonna be a career-threatening injury.

- Drops and penalties killed us. DPJ was the #1 culprit in both categories. He cost us.

- Missing a FG cost us. As did our STs (12 men on the field, poor coverage, etc)

- We are most likely done for the year.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Pssst.....Mayfield ain't the problem.

2 members like this: Hammer, WSU Willie
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B

Unfortunately there were a ton of signs with Mayfield. The fact that he could never beat anyone good or put a team on his back were huge red flags. But that's not very popular around here.

I always said the team will go.as far as he could take them. Never thought his own coach would also be a detriment. Not after last year. Thought that had been solved. Now, everything is muddy again.

Have to chalk it up to an off year. Stefanski and Mayfield should be back next year. Hopefully it gets better.
I was not a fan of drafting Baker. That being said his first year and last year gave me hope. Unfortunately, this year has not been what he, the team or the fans wanted. Beyond that there has never been a QB in the history of the NFL that could carry a team on his back BY HIMSELF. If the team is lacking talent or has too many injuries or has coaching issues then it does not matter how good the QB is. The QB cannot make a wide receiver get separation. He cannot make the line block to open holes for the running game. The failure this year lies much more on the coaching staff, particularly offensively. This does not mean that Baker does not share in the blame, he does. But this is a total team failure.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From a pregame post of mine below
Originally Posted by BADdog
I do not want to hear "we must do a better job " from coaching after the game.
j/c...

Stefanski says he needs to get better....again..it's week 12.

Followed by...

KS is the problem has been all season.

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
where was Higgins yesterday?

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

This is the NFL openly mocking the Browns. Using a jester, a clown basically, to depict them. Even the announcers were acting as if it was in bad taste.

This league has become a joke on the media side. It used to be respect was given to even the worst teams, now the shows are filled with ex players and shock jocks trash talking and giving over the top opinions.

If I'm the Haslams, I am not happy with this graphic.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
2 members like this: FATE, Hammer
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
YES. If he had receivers, the team would have wins.
You mean when Collinsworth says (twice) that our biggest deep threat is a TE, Njoku, that's not normal?

I thought that comment and some others about the Browns and what we do and how we run our offense were pretty spot on.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sometimes I think if Stefanski had Brett Favre he'd want to turn him into Alex Smith. Note, I'm not saying Baker is Brett Favre, but he's also not Colt McCoy. He had a special something when he came on the scene in that Thursday night game vs the Jets in 2018 that I believe Stefanski is coaching out of him. I also get that analytics play an important part in pro personnel decisions and draft picks, but I don't like it having such a large role on game day because it ignores the emotions of a game where emotion is required. Anyone who ever played tackle football in the mud at the park with their HS buddies should know that. The game is supposed to be fun, not some joyless exercise.

JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just don't know... I was so excited for this season ! Now I just wish this season was over... Honestly just dealing with one disappointing game after another. D plays really good and the O just sucks.. Why can't the Browns field a team that plays well on both sides of the field, that can win games that they lose.

Chubb seemed off, but Hunt played well.. so where was he ?

You have receivers dropping the ball...so keep passing and again give up on the run game..

Ravens load the box with 8-9 guys and are daring Baker to beat them... Baker can't be blamed for all the drops, Baker can be blamed for his faults..

This team is not smart..not tough and not accountable !!

If Baker isn't getting it done, then why not try Keenum just to try and win the game..winning the game was and is the most important objective !

Getting into the play offs is the main goal !!

Offense failure all the way around including play calling...

I ask myself... How much more can you watch ? It's so disappointing !

M
Legend
Legend
M
Our last possession was somewhat analogous of entire passing game..

Play 1 - Baker is under pressure immediately because Wills got beat right off the snap. He somehow manages to get the ball out of bounds.
Play 2 - Has a little time, back shoulder throw to Jarvis, either the throw was too far behind him or... Jarvis waited too long to turn back.... either way, he was well covered but it was a makeable play if Baker and Jarvis had been on the same page.
Play 3 - Hits Hooper in the hands, well covered but could have been caught and would have given us 3rd and 1, didn't catch it.
Play 4 - Hits the underneath route but tackled before the first down..

Our offensive passing game in 4 plays.

It was a drive when I thought to myself I finally agreed with some of the Baker detractors on here - it was a drive where Baker had to come up and make plays and find a way to win. And then this series happens exactly as you wrote. Without a running QB who is either going to run around for 6 seconds in the backfield or run for the 1st down himself - there isn't a QB that would make a difference. Not sure if this was the same series where the throw to Hooper was on the sidelines and Baker has to throw the ball before Hoop has turned around to look for it? The defender was literally draped all over him.

Baker had one or two errant throws but other than that - he played well enough. Putting any of the loss on him is more agenda or contrived posting than reality. I mean he's out there and he owns the same amount of ownership for lack of execution as every single player on the offense - receivers, RB and OL included. But the real issue is injuries, scheme and play calling. Njoku as your deep threat is not going to be a viable offense.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/29/21 10:24 AM.

1 member likes this: Hammer
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The dropped passes hurt. Conklins injury didn't help either although Hance didn't play badly. Feel bad for Jack. First game back gets hurt again. Hope he's OK. Baker didn't play badly but man our O couldn't score 17 points? Tough game to watch if you are a Browns fan.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't care if they had 8 in the box, you have to run Chubb and Hunt - both premier RBs - more than 15 times. The running game often doesn't work early, but still takes a toll on the defense that doesn't become apparent until later in the game, when one of your premier RBs breaks one. You gotta stay with it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed all round ... the Bryant injury also hurt. I mean an offense built around a receiving core of 3 TE's is going to be largely unimpressive but when one of those pieces goes down and there is no other realistic option to turn to, I think that made a big difference too. Conklin's injury is the worst of it for sure though.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Ravens 16 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard