Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1908060 12/03/21 02:16 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

First time I've seen the parents of a teen mass shooter charged… hmm.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Some states require that guns at home are locked up. Not sure if Michigan is one of those states.

No Craps Given
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's new. I wonder what the exact statute subsection was that was cited in the charges, and I'd like to be able to read that section.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

T
Legend
Legend
T
NO! Gun law doesn't need reformed there is enough maybe too much already. They need to follow it and apply the law fairly without bias.

I don't know any facts about the shooting you referenced.
I'm trying to remember. Probably the 15 year old kid from last week.
I can't see any of your (blank box of youtube) posted stories anyway.
1st time parents were charged?
I bet they were white. This country would never charge parents for kids crimes unless they were white, they could never let white people live free from racial interference by harassment. Not in 2021.

In other news, Notre Dame hired a new coach.
Unbelieveable

He's inexperienced therefore unqualified, but, he's not white! Pass up his white boss for an appointed job because,
well what would we allow if
If Notre Dame hired the White defensive coordinator out of Cincinnati, when the Cincinnati Head coach, who happens to be Black, was sitting right there with, As an Actual Head Coach, along with hundreds/dozens of other black Qualified head coaches across the College Football spectrum
but! we see Notre Dame hired a White inexperienced coordinator from the same team? Because of the color of his skin.
Must be.

Oh! Its ok, its ok, the colors are reversed. Reversed! The white guy got passed up, the black guy got the better job. (I suppose black people can keep telling themselves they have to work 10 times harder because of the color of their skin, when they get free rides to the top.) because it feeds their selfishness? That's been front and center. As long as the right people get held down, the racism is acceptable. As long as it's the white guy who gets passed up, people should, celebrate? <that's a terrible way of thinking, but it seems the message sent by society.

The Oprah Winfrey model. Oprah Winfrey got a talk show because she was a victim of abuse? And any other known reasons or qualifications? (But that was way back in 1987.)
Whites need not apply. Who needs to put it on a sign its loud and clear.

Legend
Legend
I happened to be in the company of three Canadians this morning when it was announced on the radio that the parents were charged. Of course, like anyone they were appalled by the actions of the shooter....

One of them made a comment about how we have a lot of school shootings in America. Which caused me to ask, don't you have them in Canada? The all said, in unison,, NO... Now keep in mind, I haven't checked or researched it.. Not even a little. ( But if Had to guess, I bet they did have shootings). I asked if they gave strict gun laws in canada and they all said that they do....

What does that mean? No idea,, but Strict Gun Laws and no school shootings sure sounds good to me...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That might be the worst post I have ever read on this board.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
5 members like this: mgh888, PortlandDawg, 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
It means that many Americans have accepted the death count that we endure every year just to block common sense gun control. Minors walking around the street with a loaded AR-15? Legal. Up until this mass school shooting I can remember parents being charged for not responsibly taking common sense measures to keep guns and ammo out of the hands of minors unless supervised. Why? Because many places it's not illegal. They want all the rights without any of the responsibility. Somehow they think the body count is worth it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by dawglover05
That might be the worst post I have ever read on this board.

Stay tuned.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
3 members like this: 3rd_and_20, dawglover05, oobernoober
Legend
Legend
[video:youtube]
[/video]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I happened to be in the company of three Canadians this morning when it was announced on the radio that the parents were charged. Of course, like anyone they were appalled by the actions of the shooter....

One of them made a comment about how we have a lot of school shootings in America. Which caused me to ask, don't you have them in Canada? The all said, in unison,, NO... Now keep in mind, I haven't checked or researched it.. Not even a little. ( But if Had to guess, I bet they did have shootings). I asked if they gave strict gun laws in canada and they all said that they do....

What does that mean? No idea,, but Strict Gun Laws and no school shootings sure sounds good to me...

Canada
Canada has had a total of 19 school shootings between 1884 and 2016. The deadliest of these shooting was the Ecole Polytechnique massacre in Montreal, which resulted in 15 deaths including the perpetrator. Several of the Canadian school shootings have resulted in zero or one death, including the 1884 shooting where only the perpetrator died.

ARTICLE REFERENCED

A school shooting is an attack at an educational institution, such as a primary school, secondary school, or university, involving the use of firearms. Many school shootings are categorized as mass shootings because of the number of casualties. The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines a mass murder (can be used for mass shooting) as “four or more murdered during an event with no ‘cooling-off period’ between murders.”

Factors being school shootings include lack of family supervision, family dysfunction, mental illness, or psychological problems. The top motives of attackers were bullying/persecution/threatened and revenge. Other motives include suicide and depression and seeking attention or recognition.

The United States is no stranger to school shootings and the country has a long history of school shootings, both small and mass shootings. On April 20, 1999, two students opened fire at Columbine High School, killing 12 students and one teacher. In the two decades following the Columbine shooting, there have been 11 mass school shootings and many other smaller ones. John Cohen, a former Department of Homeland Security official, stated that Columbine has “absolutely” influenced subsequent shootings. Among the mass shootings since Columbine are Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, and Parkland. Virginia Tech is the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

While school shootings are considered to be a “uniquely American crisis,” this isn’t exactly true. Countries all over the world experience school shootings.

Countries may have incorrect or inaccurate information or reporting of school shootings. Below are the recorded school shootings in different countries around the world. Information may be missing and does not include non-school mass shootings.

Australia
Since 1991, Australia has experienced six school shootings. Two of these shootings, La Trobe University and Monash University, had one and two deaths respectively. The other four shootings did not have any deaths. The most recent school shooting in Australia was at Modbury High School in Adelaide on May 7, 2012, which resulted in no deaths and no injuries.

Brazil
Brazil has had five school shootings since 2001, resulting in a total of 30 deaths. The deadliest of these shootings was the Realengo massacre when a former student killed 12 students inside the school before killing himself. One of the five shooting, the Medaneira School shooting, did not have any deaths.

Canada
Canada has had a total of 19 school shootings between 1884 and 2016. The deadliest of these shooting was the Ecole Polytechnique massacre in Montreal, which resulted in 15 deaths including the perpetrator. Several of the Canadian school shootings have resulted in zero or one death, including the 1884 shooting where only the perpetrator died.

China
Between 1999 and 2011, China had four school shootings resulting in four deaths, two of which were the perpetrators.

Europe
European countries have had their share of school shootings, although not as frequently as in the United States or Canada.

Germany: eight shootings since 1913
Lithuania: one in 1925
Sweden: one in 1961
United Kingdom: three since 1967 and none after the 1996 massacre
Finland: three since 1989
The Netherlands: two, in 1999 and 2004
Denmark: one in 1994
Greece: one in 2009
Norway: one in 2009 (no deaths)
Hungary: one in 2009
France: two, one in 2012 and one in 2017
Estonia: one in 2014
Spain: one in 2015
Russia: three since 2014
Crimea: one in 2018
Poland: one in 2019 (no deaths)
Honduras
Gun violence in Central American countries is extremely common. In Honduras, the homicide rate is 10 times the global average. Because of heavily armed gangs in Honduras, school shootings “are so common, they are subsumed quickly into the country's news cycle and barely register outside its borders.”.

Mexico
Mexico has had 17 reported school shootings since 2004. All of these incidents have resulted in zero to two deaths each. In each of the three shootings that had two deaths, one was the perpetrator.

South Africa
South Africa has experienced five school shootings since 1994, resulting in eight deaths in total.

Asian Countries
Excluding China, several Asian nations have experienced school shootings.

Taiwan: one in 1962
Israel: two, one in 1974 and one in 2008
Yemen: one in 1997
Philippines: one in 1999
Thailand: one in 2003
Lebanon: one n 2007
India: one in 2007
Azerbaijan: one in 2009
Pakistan: one in 2014 that killed 145 - the deadliest school shooting in Asia
Other Countries
Argentina: one in 2004
New Zealand: one in 1923
Nigeria: one in 2013
Kenya: one in 2015

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/school-shootings-by-country

A
Legend
Legend
A
I appreciate the stats.

I also realize, while of little help, I know - "school shootings" in the u.s. also include drug/gang shootings, at any time of the night. They are classified as "school shootings". I don't say that to minimize the actual shootings of students.

Legend
Legend
I can see that the Canadians I met were pretty close to spot on by the data you showed...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I appreciate the stats.

I also realize, while of little help, I know - "school shootings" in the u.s. also include drug/gang shootings, at any time of the night. They are classified as "school shootings". I don't say that to minimize the actual shootings of students.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Here is a list of what is supposed to be all the mass shootings in Schools (includes college) in the USA since 2000. (I haven't checked to see if it's accurate,,, if you see something that isn't, please point it out)

Can you please point out the ones that were "Drug/Gang Shootings" that took place at night and were classified as school shootings?

Data and facts are the NRA's nightmare,,, , facts and statistics don't lie.

I'm not a gun hater at all.. I'm a guy that thinks we need tougher gun laws. We need to keep some folks as far away from guns as possible. Not at all sure why the NRA seems to think that's a bad Idea.....

I can't wait to see how the case against this punks parents turns out.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
Here. https://everytownresearch.org/maps/gunfire-on-school-grounds/

Or here: https://www.edweek.org/leadership/school-shootings-in-2019-how-many-and-where/2019/02

Here: https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/map-of-school-shootings-since-2000/

You'll have to click on the links, then click on the spots.https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/map-of-school-shootings-since-2000/

On a side note, punk, yes. I'm guessing your hope is the parents get found guilty, and sentenced to long terms.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Parents on the run from Johnny Law...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Find them and crush them under the weight of the law. Set an example for the next trashy family with more weapons than combined brain cells.

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: Milk Man, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

I strongly feel that children and teenagers should not be given access to guns. Not for hunting. Not for range time. Not for any reason. When they are legal adults they can shoot.

I realize this wont sit well with some on this forum. But young people arent mentally mature enough to handle guns. I have been at the range in the lane next to a father and young son and it made me extremely uncomfortable.

I learned to shoot from my father and it wasnt until I was older.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
One would think that by now we as a people and the government could insure the safety of our schools.

How many kids need to die and families suffer?

If we can spend all this money on guns how is it we can not secure a building?

I can not understand why there are not metal detectors and more security?

It seems that we have become complacent because it has become common. How can we accept this?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Here. https://everytownresearch.org/maps/gunfire-on-school-grounds/

Or here: https://www.edweek.org/leadership/school-shootings-in-2019-how-many-and-where/2019/02

Here: https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/map-of-school-shootings-since-2000/

You'll have to click on the links, then click on the spots.https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/map-of-school-shootings-since-2000/

On a side note, punk, yes. I'm guessing your hope is the parents get found guilty, and sentenced to long terms.

I did what you said and I noticed no specific examples of shootings caused by gangs and or Drugs

The first article made a statement drawing a conclusion that some may have been caused by drugs,, Other comments were made about Bullying which I suppose could be about gang related activities.

I honestly don't see a big correlation Drugs and gangs and school shootings.. But my guess is that there is some truth to it.

Regarding this punk and his parents.. You love to put words in my mouth.. NEVER did I ever say or indicate what I want for his parents.. You just decided what I wanted for me...

I will say this however, Maybe, just maybe if these parents get convicted, it will cause parents to take a more active role in their kids lives. Not sure of that of course, but in the higher profile cases like Sandy Hook and Columbine, the shooters seemed to be disconnected from parents and family (totally a guess here)

Your "Gotcha Moment" went down in flames....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
jc

I strongly feel that children and teenagers should not be given access to guns. Not for hunting. Not for range time. Not for any reason. When they are legal adults they can shoot.

I realize this wont sit well with some on this forum. But young people arent mentally mature enough to handle guns. I have been at the range in the lane next to a father and young son and it made me extremely uncomfortable.

I learned to shoot from my father and it wasnt until I was older.

I have to disagree with you on this one. When I was 12 years old I walked from one end of our town to the other carrying a gun and ammo, on my way to the shooting range. I had a 22 rifle and a shotgun in my room along with ammo. A lot of us went hunting with our Dad's or with family members.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I grew up target shooting with my stepfather from a young age. He taught me and my siblings respect for the weapons he put in our hands. He also instilled respect, with a touch of fear, for him. We knew not to treat the weapons around the house as toys. We knew not to mess with them when he wasn’t around, or without his permission. I’ve been handling high powered rifles, muzzle loaders, and various hand guns since I was a teen. Some lower caliber weapons I got trained on prior to that. Hell my summer camp I attended as a kid had a .22 rifle range. I always earned high marks/rewards there because of my home environment and training.
I wasn’t allowed to take my weapons off our property until I was in my late teens. Even then I needed permission.
Parents need to parent.
This kid’s parents sucked. I hope they get hammered by the legal system.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
agreed... I have no problem with parents who are responsibly training/teaching their kids how to handle a gun... and the kids only have access to them with adult supervision...

if what's coming out about these parents are true, I have no issue with them being charged... free access to guns after the red flags that kid gave off... and to text him telling him he needs to be better about googling about ammo? just un real...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
How times have changed. As teenagers. we'd race home from school during hunting season to grab our guns and head out to the fields. Sometimes on our bikes. One kid brought his shotgun to school to demonstrate how to clean it in a hs sports lit class.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
GMdawg #1908169 12/04/21 12:11 PM
Legend
Legend
When you were 12 were there kids shot at school?

Was there an internet and social media? Was there video games glorifying violence?

I don't know your age?

When I was 12. I had a twenty-two and a bear bow. It never entered my mind that a kid could could get killed at school.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
One would think that by now we as a people and the government could insure the safety of our schools.

It seems that we have become complacent because it has become common. How can we accept this?
Originally Posted by bonefish

It's been a few years ago, maybe the Sandyhook time frame, I commented about some doable fixes to help schools improve their security as it relates to the threat of guns getting into our schools.

My suggestion was to improve the security of schools AT THE DOOR, to ensure that students have a safe environment while at school. Schools need trained guards at each entry point and those guards should have access to the latest technology available to check each individual that enters a school. Each individual entering...students, teachers, workers and staff...all should be required to pass through a highly secured entrance point, to ensure that our schools are safe and free of all weapons.

Paying for this level of security could be passed on to every gun manufacturer who sell their product in the USA. A additional charge could be added to price of each weapon and those funds could be used to help pay for the needed security of our schools. Manufactures want to sell and profit off the sale of their guns...no problem...but the responsibility to insure that our students are safe while at school should be an additional requirement for selling their products in our country, IMO. Helping to defray the expense of additional security at our schools would help to save lives, IMO.

HOW MUCH IS A STUDENTS LIFE WORTH...? Additional security in our schools would save lives...!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
GMdawg #1908171 12/04/21 12:31 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I have to disagree with you on this one. When I was 12 years old I walked from one end of our town to the other carrying a gun and ammo, on my way to the shooting range. I had a 22 rifle and a shotgun in my room along with ammo. A lot of us went hunting with our Dad's or with family members.

While I certainly was not allowed to walk around on my own with a firearm at the age of 12, I get what you're saying. By the time I was 14 I could come home and go hunting on my own. Of course my back yard bordered the ground that I hunted when I was by myself so there was no need for me to be walking around any other houses or populated areas. But as others have said I had been trained in handling firearms for a couple of years before that was allowed. For the entire hunting season when I was 11 my dad made me carry a BB Gun just to spend that hunting season learning the proper procedures for carrying and handling a weapon. After that year he purchased me a singly barrel 20 gauge shotgun. By the time I was 14 I was allowed to carry a 12 gauge semi auto. We mainly hunted quail and pheasant except for during deer season.

And while it certainly worked for us and nothing went wrong, I would have to say looking around my classroom growing up, I'm certainly glad not all students were afforded that same opportunity. I'm pretty sure you knew kids when you were growing up who you were glad didn't have access to firearms.

See, I think there is a great middle ground. Something usually neither extreme of an issue like to hear. That's that minors should only have access to firearms with and during adult supervision. And the way I arrived at that conclusion is this. We're talking about minors who we don't trust to have good enough judgement to vote, decide to partake in tobacco, join the military or buy alcohol. If we don't trust them with those decisions, why would it seem logical to trust them with a loaded firearm that can kill multiple people in a matter of seconds? It also begs to question can we as a society expect all parents to be as responsible as ours were in the proper training of their children when it comes to firearms?

I'm certainly not expecting everyone to agree but I think the thought process makes sense.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

mac #1908220 12/04/21 07:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Those are good points.

We have technology. There is money. I like your ideas on funding.

You could tax gun and ammo sales. Money can be raised.

I don't understand this. Why should any parent or student have fear in school? Long ago flying was safe.

There were no threats of hijacking or terrorists. When it started happening security ramped up.
Why are we hear today with nothing after all these shootings?

I don't expect much from government. Protection from attacks. Safe roads and bridges. Good schools.
Safety at school should be a given.

So, high school kids march and protest to be protected at school. And we do nothing about it.

Repulsive.

Legend
Legend
It seems like stupid doesn't ever end..

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...udent-arrested-in-school-shooting-threat

And the parents say, "to him, it was just a joke"! I don't know, maybe it is time to hold parents accountable....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Well, if you're really unlucky, maybe someday this wish will be granted. I mean, if I were going to die from doing something stupid, it damn sure wouldn't be chest thumping over the 2nd Amendment right to have a gun, while I already have a closet full of guns.

Stupid IS as stupid does.

~ Forest Gump

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/05/21 03:35 PM.

Legend
Legend
What does that mean?

Kids carry guns to school?

Legend
Legend

Imagine posting this after a recent school shooting.

This photo really scares. I’m sorry but I would never step foot inside a house with a family who takes photos like this, especially after recent events.

It’s funny how after a bombing, when Muslims pose with photos and guns, it’s terrorism.

But after a school schooling, this is considered patriotism.

Strange.

That’s a sitting US congressman. And ya know what? I don’t blame him. I blame the people that voted for him.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It’s crazy too cause the weapon Massie is holding is a weapon gunners used down range in Iraq.

That’s what Americans are cool with the masses owning. Weapons of war.

I just….I’m sorry this photo plus the recent shootings everywhere in every community…I don’t know how to process this.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
bone...I believe the idea is not only doable, it is politically neutral...neither democrats or republicans should oppose the idea based their political preferences. The sole purpose of this additional security is to protect all who attend school to get their education. No student, teacher or employee of the school should have to worry about their safety while attempting to further they education. That should be a common sense idea that everyone should support.

This concept is already in use and has been for years. Here in Ohio, in our county, NO ONE goes into our courthouse without emptying their pockets , removing their belt and walking through a metal detector...to ensure the safety of everyone taking care of their business at our courthouse.

All of us should be able to agree that school kids should not have to go to school worrying about their safety while trying to get an education.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1908386 12/05/21 09:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Political preference is not relative. You are right.

It has to stop.

mac #1908440 12/06/21 10:22 AM
Legend
Legend
neither democrats or republicans should oppose the idea based their political preferences.

I agree with you Mac.. And I agree with this statement. But the problem is (sorry don't mean to be debbie downer here) is that neither party wants the other party to get a "WIN".

SO if this happens on a Democrat watch, they will, without a doubt, get credit. If it happens on a republican watch, they will get the credit.

I see this as more about party over citizen.

I want to be wrong, I just don't think I am.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Gun Law Reform?

Link Copied to Clipboard