#1908185 12/04/21 01:52 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Anyone on here collect trading cards?

My brother has been doing it for a long time and I started more recently. It is a combination of connecting with him and my nephew more, a fun hobby (and expensive one), and time killer (too much free time during covid). I'm pretty much just soccer (NWSL) and NFL, but the trading card industry is well beyond that (all sports, Poke Mon, other games, military, entertainment, etc...) and seems to be growing like crazy and becoming almost to the point where it is outpricing itself. It'll be interesting to see what happens as covid reduces to see if the industry slows down and prices reduce a bit.

I was selling some cards, but that'll stop in 2022, as tax laws will change (eBay, etc... will start sending 1099s for anyone selling over $600 total for the year (and will be considered short term capital gains from what I understand) - it is $20k now - and will be up to individuals to prove to government "profit" or not). Without starting a business and documenting literally every purchase, inventory, etc... it just isn't worth it any more (starting in January). I do have some interest in trading and selling/buying offline but haven't spent the time yet looking into this.

Would love to hear who else collects, trades, who you break with, where you buy from, collectibles insurance, etc... and what people have in their collection.

My new favorite card is a 2021 Panini XR Nick Chubb patch auto 1/1 (for those of you not into this - Panini XR is the brand. It has a jersey patch in the card and Nick Chubb autographed the card The 1/1 means it is 1 of 1, the only one made) I got it as part of a break this week and am stoked to receive it.

edit: refs I wasn't sure if this is Tailgate or Everything Else. I only collect sports cards, but this could easily turn into a more generic thread. If you prefer this be in Everything else, please either move, or delete and I can recreate in Everything Else.

Last edited by clwb419; 12/04/21 01:55 PM.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I had a Mike Phipps card (turns out it was a '71 Topps) when I was a kid. Lost it somewhere along the way.

Just looked it up after reading your post, found that I didn't miss out on much value.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I buy Pokémon cards for my grandkids, if that counts.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I collected some as a kid. Turned out they were some of the worst years for collecting, 1987-88.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I collect them. Collect a lot of the PSA graded cards when I find the cards I want to collect.

The one thing that is a bummer is that prices have soared so high it's keeping kids from entering the hobby. Just several years back I could buy my kids each a NFL Panini Prizm hobby box for around $125/box. Now, Panini Prizm hobby boxes are selling for over $1k. A 2020 Panini Prizm hobby box is currently selling for ~$1,700.

Used to be able to walk into a Walmart or Target and be able to buy a retail blaster box for $19.99 and that has now been ruined. A few places even stopped selling them temporarily because of the lunatics that would harass the store employees to get all the cards they could when putting them out on the shelves.

I wasn't aware of the new tax law for 2022. Interesting. That'll charge the market or people will find a workaround.

Anyway, it is a fun hobby and it's been crazy to see the value in cards absolutely skyrocket.

Congrats on the Nick Chubb! Are you going to send it in to have it graded?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I became a fan at age 5 or 6, and my guys were Rocky Colavito, Tito Francona, and a 1B named Vic Power. I bought this card about 20 years ago:

[Linked Image from superior.gletech.com]

I have mini collections of Indians teams I liked from 1975, 1986, and 1995.

My wife bought me a 1989 Topps complete box set that may or may not have some valuable cards in it (depending on quality of print): Ken Griffey Jr rookie, Randy Johnson rookie, Rickey Henderson, Roger Clemens, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, others.

The cards I really like are 1950's Bowman issues of Cleveland Browns like Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Groza, Lavelli, Gatski, McCormick, etc. They had this "portraitized" finish that I really liked.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Anyway, its more about something I value, rather than something I'd consider an investment.

Legend
Legend
Not a collector of these though I have done Magic and other cards. Also comics. Want to share a neat deal I just got back from my dad after he passed.
I gave him a plaque (which he ruined) that had cards of HOF Browns trading cards. The cards for Frank Gatski, Mike McCormick, are signed Pro Football HOF by ENOR. Also Otto Graham "Thanks for your help" signed, and Dante "Gluefingers" Lavelli (written by him as part of his sig), same company set.
Also a HOF printing called Football Immortals cards signed by Bill Willis, Jim Brown, and my favorite, a signed card for Paul Brown! The last is a SWELL card for Football Greats, HOF 25th Anniversary set for none other than Lou Groza signed as "The Toe." Plan to mount them. Are you familiar with any HOF cards? Good luck!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
You mentioned collecting comics ... I have dabbled in collecting Classics Illustrated comics from the 50's (Silver Age). I have 8-10 of them now, but only pursue it every now and then. I loved these when I was a kid, and I credit them more than anything or anyone for my love of reading. My dad was friends with a local wholesaler of magazines and comics, and he was always bringing home these big piles of "strips" (wholesalers only had to return front covers for non-selling comics to get credit, discarding the rest of the comic), so we had a huge cache of Classics Illustrated and DC comics.

[Linked Image from d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net]

Last edited by Dave; 12/05/21 10:25 AM.
Legend
Legend
I sold off some old comics somewhat recently. I had a so-so copy of Hulk #181, (had the value stamp cut out) and a pretty bad copy of Giant Size X-Men #1 .... and made about $1500 for both.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Are basketball cards worth anything. I knew someone who had a Michael Jordan card way back in about 1990, I think it might have been his first year rookie card. I remember he was in a red jersey. I don't know what happened to it. Let me see what mon rpenner says on an internet search.
edit: :Internet search, It was probably the 1991 year card I'm remembering, 1 dollar to 350 dollars, but, I saw it on more than one occasion, just in a group, I'm pretty sure he was solo dribbiling, definitely not dunking and in a red jersey.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 12/05/21 12:53 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Not sure if I'll get it graded or not. I'll see when I receive it what it looks like. Thick cards often have soft corners, etc...

I do have a Brees 1/1 autograph that by my untrained eye is pretty perfect I'm thinking about. I also have a Mac Jones autograph 5/10 that is perfect. Part of me says sell the Mac Jones now because his prices are bonkers. While a good grade will add massive value to the card - what if he gets injured or has a poor season 2 - I lose out. The only other ones I'd consider are a Kaboom Elway and an Absolute Explosive Stafford out of 10. Not sure I want to drop $100+ and wait 6-12 months though.

I agree on prices - they're crazy. I've had good luck on StockX finding boxes, but you have to keep looking. I've purchased a couple boxes at 60-70% of what they're going for on eBay. Still ridiculous. I do breaks rather than boxes any more. Though some of those are crazy as well - especially this year for Jax, Jets, 49ers, Bears, and Pats.

Legend
Legend
I love sports cards! Always have. it’s been a hobby of mine for years. As someone mentioned, the prices now are so high that it makes it a bummer.

I have thousands and thousands of them organized by team/year. I think my prized possessions are the Mickey Mantle collection

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Thoughts of old cards like that and the pics Dave posted above are kind of crazy. And the Brady rookie that just sold for millions.

I have a ton of base cards that are essentially worthless and just taking up space. I've reached out to donate and most places aren't even taking them. There's a local buyer here that seems to only want valuable cards and won't take base cards as well. Outside of throwing them away or putting them in the recycling bin - what the heck do I do with them?

Any players you specifically collect? I'll be more than happy to send some (base and/or mem/auto/etc...) or trade.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m in a similar situation. I have Topps and Donruss sets from 1988. Nothing of value except a Tom Glavin rookie card.
The rest of the cards aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. I may give them to a nephew… to give to his yet to be born son… to give to his son… to give to his son. By then having something to easily start fires will be valuable. Especially after all the books have been burned in our post apocalyptic hellscape.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: clwb419
D
Legend
Legend
D
Either that or they could use clothespins to attach the cards to their bike wheels to make it sound like a motor bike.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Back in the day m uncle bought me a card for $5, it was the Billy Ripken F*^k Face card. After giving it to me within a matter of days that card was worth over $1,000, of course I never sold it, ended up giving it to a buddy years later, at that time it was worth $10.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by clwb419
The only other ones I'd consider are a Kaboom Elway and an Absolute Explosive Stafford out of 10. Not sure I want to drop $100+ and wait 6-12 months though.

Just an FYI, PSA has changed up how they charge for grading options, which is another high risk/reward decision to your point. You've always had to declare a card value on the submittal forms, but now, depending on the value of the card, you must choose he corresponding level of service. If you try and declare below market, they have the option to keep the fees charge and return ungraded. When I send mine into to get graded (all have been new cards in the past year or two) I always check the box to only grade and case it if it is a 10, anything lower, return as is. Like you mentioned, new cards that come back a 9 or 8 are not worth even having graded. You could sell them for as much ungraded.

However, it can backfire. For example, my youngest son has a Patrick Mahomes Panini Prizm silver refractor and he had been asking me for months to get it graded. Declared value exceeded $5k so it cost me $250 for them to grade it plus shipping. The card came back with a PSA sticker on the sleeve reading graded, but did not meet customer grade requirements. Money down the tubes!

Just an FYI, if you do decide to send any in of value hoping for to get a 10, at the higher service levels, you'll have the card back much sooner. I had the Mahomes back in about 10 days.

PSA has figured out one hell of a business. They are making money hand over fist.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Back in the day m uncle bought me a card for $5, it was the Billy Ripken F*^k Face card. After giving it to me within a matter of days that card was worth over $1,000, of course I never sold it, ended up giving it to a buddy years later, at that time it was worth $10.

A great card. I was 8 or 9 at the time when that card came out and every kid wanted to get their hands on that card. A PSA 10 of that card is still selling for over $500.

Error cards were fun back in the late 80s.

Legend
Legend
I still have that card somewhere. Paid 10 bucks for it back in the day... after chasing news trucks around to hobby shops and convenient stores for a couple weeks trying to buy wax boxes. By the time we caught a truck and bought a few boxes we were on variation #3, with the black box over the profanity. I think there are over ten variations. What a scam!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
I still have that card somewhere. Paid 10 bucks for it back in the day... after chasing news trucks around to hobby shops and convenient stores for a couple weeks trying to buy wax boxes. By the time we caught a truck and bought a few boxes we were on variation #3, with the black box over the profanity. I think there are over ten variations. What a scam!

Nothing worse than getting the one with black box covering it up, thinking you've found an error for the error card, scrolling the latest issue of the Beckett, only to see it worth $.60 and going down.

On a side note, the Billy Ripken with the white out over the FF is the most rare and valuable.

Another great error card was the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds card that was actually Johnny Ray pictured. Also, the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas (no name on the front) rookie card. Current BGS grade 8 is selling for $10k.

E
Legend
Legend
E
For Christmas I bought my Dearest a Justin Herbert signed rookie card. 2020 Panini Absolute #167. Its not graded. (yet). He is a hardcore Chargers fan, so he loved it.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
The other cool part is that the card was actually signed by him and Beckett witnessed. Not a sticker autograph.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Nice - I'm sure he was happy with that.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Back in the late '80's, card popularity exploded. From what I remember, the '86 Canseco Rated Rookie, the '89 Ripken FF Error, and the '89 Griffy Upper Deck rookie were the most sought after cards. - It was an amazing time for a kid. I could go to any convenience store and get a few packs of tops for .45 cents each. The hobby got so popular that there were card shops in almost every suburb that I can think of around Cleveland. - Solon coin and collectibles, Collectors Warehouse in Parma, SportsCards in Mayfield, and so forth. Heck, I remember my buddies collecting and trading previous issues of the Beckett price guides. It was fun. Upper Deck changed everything when they debuted in '89. - Cards were glossier and the picture quality was better. However, it was bad because not only did they charge 1.00 a pack but it was the beginning of the "flooding of the market". Pretty soon Topps, Donruss, etc. all had offshoots such as "Stadium Club" etc. to compete with Upper Deck. - Too much cardboard and not enough value. - That's why any cards post 1985 (without autos and/or patches, or refractors) are worthless.

I left the hobby around 1990 as I became a teenager and took an interest in playing sports to get girls. lol. They loved letterman jackets.

A few years ago, with some money to spend, I started going to the box breaking sites. I won a few decent cards/collectibles. - A Barry Sanders auto jersey for a 10.00 buy in and stuff like that. I remember it was a healthy market until Covid hit. - Just for kicks, I could buy boxes of 2013 prestige football for around 60.00 each just to see what was inside. - Hit on a few Tannehill rookies. Also hit on a couple Devonte Adams rookies from a different Panini set. It was cool but covid changed a lot. Prices soared and my interest waned.

My advice is to target the cards you want and buy those specifically rather than buying boxes. You'll get exactly what you're looking for rather than run the risk of getting a useless box of cards with 4 random autographs from 7th round draft picks.

Group breaks have gotten more expensive but are still fun if you can stomach the price.

Also, eventually the market will get back into balance, so sell your stuff now if you can make a few bucks.

Send me a pm if you want to talk more. I could go on forever.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anybody have a good site they use to see what their cards are worth? I started collecting back in the mid 70's and have 1,000s of football, baseball, and basketball cards, some are complete sets but I need to go thru them and see what they are all worth.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M
eBay. You can see what recent listings of the same card have sold for and current asking prices and bids. Basically, real-time market prices.

Beckett Marketplace is another option.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks!

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Back in the late '80's, card popularity exploded. From what I remember, the '86 Canseco Rated Rookie, the '89 Ripken FF Error, and the '89 Griffy Upper Deck rookie were the most sought after cards. - It was an amazing time for a kid. I could go to any convenience store and get a few packs of tops for .45 cents each. The hobby got so popular that there were card shops in almost every suburb that I can think of around Cleveland. - Solon coin and collectibles, Collectors Warehouse in Parma, SportsCards in Mayfield, and so forth. Heck, I remember my buddies collecting and trading previous issues of the Beckett price guides. It was fun. Upper Deck changed everything when they debuted in '89. - Cards were glossier and the picture quality was better. However, it was bad because not only did they charge 1.00 a pack but it was the beginning of the "flooding of the market". Pretty soon Topps, Donruss, etc. all had offshoots such as "Stadium Club" etc. to compete with Upper Deck. - Too much cardboard and not enough value. - That's why any cards post 1985 (without autos and/or patches, or refractors) are worthless.

I left the hobby around 1990 as I became a teenager and took an interest in playing sports to get girls. lol. They loved letterman jackets.

A few years ago, with some money to spend, I started going to the box breaking sites. I won a few decent cards/collectibles. - A Barry Sanders auto jersey for a 10.00 buy in and stuff like that. I remember it was a healthy market until Covid hit. - Just for kicks, I could buy boxes of 2013 prestige football for around 60.00 each just to see what was inside. - Hit on a few Tannehill rookies. Also hit on a couple Devonte Adams rookies from a different Panini set. It was cool but covid changed a lot. Prices soared and my interest waned.

My advice is to target the cards you want and buy those specifically rather than buying boxes. You'll get exactly what you're looking for rather than run the risk of getting a useless box of cards with 4 random autographs from 7th round draft picks.

Group breaks have gotten more expensive but are still fun if you can stomach the price.

Also, eventually the market will get back into balance, so sell your stuff now if you can make a few bucks.

Send me a pm if you want to talk more. I could go on forever.

I do breaks way too often. I'll still buy boxes, but the middle of the road (still ridiculous) boxes. Not the $20-40 hangers of $50-100 blasters because they're essentially all base cards unless you get lucky. I got a Classics for $125 from Panini (now going for $325), though I had terrible cards. I just purchased an Illusions Hobby which is above my top end but it is one of my favorite products. For breaks, I've been in a couple Spectra and XR lately. I've noticed that the first couple weeks after a release, the prices for breaks are crazy. I download the checklist and have a couple formulas I use in Excel to give me a range that is acceptable to me to bid on breaks (or buy if not on eBay) and don't go above it. Had a great break yesterday with Illusions - 3 numbered cards, a Greg Newsome auto /60, Brian Sipe auto /50, Baker auto /4, and a JOK auto redemption that was out of 2 for $77. Unfortunately, Panini's quality control is terrible and the redemption didn't have the scratch off - they emailed me immediately the code, but someone had already put the code into Panini's site so I lost out on a great card. The breaker said they'd file a claim with Panini. I will as well. I hope I get something in return - and they do something to penalize the theif.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sorry to hear about the scratch off. I hit on a Vikings Booklet years ago and the Stefon Diggs sticker auto was missing. - Panini is pretty good about making it right. For any outstanding redemptions, keep up on them though. I was waiting for a Davante Adams (before he was a star) RPA and decided to follow up maybe 6 months later on their website. When I checked my account it stated something like "completed" but not "redemption sent". So I had to email them a few times to let them know that the redemption wasn't completed and that I was still waiting for the card. - This is just when his career started to take off. They investigated and sent me the card though.

I will never buy Upper Deck again though. They don't honor expired redemptions. However - good story here. One time I purchased an older box of UD from a shop online. One of the redemptions was near expiration but I was able to get it in. It was some random player that I had never heard of, but an auto is an auto. I totally forgot about it and about a year later I get some random package in the mail from upper deck with a Marques Colston auto and some other random player. I was excited to get the Colston and called upper deck to see why they were sending it to me. - They had to remind me about the redemption. It was cool of them. However, you pretty much have to take them to court to get them to honor an expired redemption.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I’ve got a baseball signed by the Reds mid 70’s, where could I send it to get it verified? There was a show last year in Cincy that was cancelled that did baseballs.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I’ve got a baseball signed by the Reds mid 70’s, where could I send it to get it verified? There was a show last year in Cincy that was cancelled that did baseballs.

https://www.psacard.com/

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Thanks

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum the Trading Card thread

Link Copied to Clipboard