#1915415 12/31/21 03:32 PM
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If you know anything about throwing a baseball or a football; the mechanics of throwing are critical.

I coached baseball and in particular pitching. I studied it. I went to clinics for coaching at Ga. Tech.

I watched tape. I read books by Tom Seaver. I talked about pitching mechanics with people like John Smoltz and others.

I took it very seriously. My son was a very good pitcher.

It has been obvious to me that it has been a problem with Baker. It has to be.

You can try to adjust. Inconsistency is to be expected.

How much has it bothered Baker? I don't think you can attach a percentage.

On some throws it will be a lot. On others maybe not so much.

I am not going to make excuses for bad decisions or missing some throws.

But to think it has had no impact is incorrect.

I will leave at that.

IMO Baker will with Browns next year. We shall see how it goes.

2 members like this: Dave, Jester
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe that the mechanics of throwing are critical. Now if we could only explain the footwork issue we've seen so much of or the throwing into double coverage and not seeing the safety.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Van Pelt addressed footwork in the presser, although not to the degree he did with throwing mechanics re: the shoulder harness. He said Mayfield regressed a bit in the GB game, and fell back into bad habits a couple times. He said not practicing for 2 weeks could be a factor because those footwork mechanics need regular work. I know some will say it was excuse-making, but I think its reasonable in the absence of any other reason for Baker throwing off his heels on the airmailed int to Landry and on the int to the left where it looked like his cleats got stuck in the turf before he could get square to the throw.

I did think there was a disconnect between Van Pelt's comment and Stefanski's answers to the same questions.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Legend
Legend
Over Baker's career in Cleveland there has been "good Baker" and "bad Baker."

He has to become consistent. The date is there.

But from a pure visual perspective, it is important to me that I have seen him play well. So, I know it is there.

He has things to clean up. I am sure he is well aware of it.

My biggest hope is he starts to play great ball. And, continues to play at a high level.

We have two big games. Start Monday. Go out and play well.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think back to a PC either him or Berry had where they talked about instilling culture. I sometimes wonder if KS's answers are more driven by establishing ruthless accountability vs giving reporters snippets of info. Just a thought of mine that predates the recent harness comment.

Regarding the harness itself, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that a harness isnt going to help technique of an already technique-challenged person like Mayfield. His improved technique probably isn't dialed in which allows him to fall back to old habits.

As we've said, this off-season is going to be crucial to set up his final audition for a second contract.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I've been saying this for a bit. Baker isn't Josh Allen when we has so much arm strength that an injury like Baker's would impact him as much. But Baker doesn't have a cannon like Allen. He needs all his mechanics to get torque on his throw.

I'm positive this injury is impacting him greatly. I hope he gets a healthy shot at leading this team. I'm afraid he won't, however.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
If you know anything about throwing a baseball or a football; the mechanics of throwing are critical.

I coached baseball and in particular pitching. I studied it. I went to clinics for coaching at Ga. Tech.

I watched tape. I read books by Tom Seaver. I talked about pitching mechanics with people like John Smoltz and others.

I took it very seriously. My son was a very good pitcher.

It has been obvious to me that it has been a problem with Baker. It has to be.

You can try to adjust. Inconsistency is to be expected.

How much has it bothered Baker? I don't think you can attach a percentage.

On some throws it will be a lot. On others maybe not so much.

I am not going to make excuses for bad decisions or missing some throws.

But to think it has had no impact is incorrect.

I will leave at that.

IMO Baker will with Browns next year. We shall see how it goes.

I agree, but playing devil's advocate, what will we be if he does go?

Legend
Legend
If you mean after this season?

I find that difficult to see because they have a longer rope.

Meaning they don't have to make that decision for next year so why do anything?

Waiting till the end of 2022 gives them more time to plan and maybe have better options.

The only way I could see something happen is a trade with Seattle. But that seems highly unlikely.

Wilson from my understanding would have to agree. Seattle would have to get a lot in return. Meaning two number ones Mayfield and maybe more.

I don't see it.

In the end Berry and company IMO still believe they can win with Baker.

I could wrong but today that is how I see it.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good post Bone and I agree. We don't have to do anything now and besides, what are our options right now? none that make any sense. Our best move right now is sticking with Baker for another year. Let him get healthy and see if there is improvement. AB and the FO has the next 15 months until the 2023 draft to decide depending on what they see with Baker. Hopefully Baker will play better and well enough to make us serious contenders. Lord knows I'm pulling for him. It's a wait and see approach. We have time at this point and more and better options may surface in this time frame if things don't work out. JMO

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Question..?..

Is Baker most likely looking at surgery after the season to correct his shoulder injury?....anyone know?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by mac
Question..?..

Is Baker most likely looking at surgery after the season to correct his shoulder injury?....anyone know?

According to Jason LaCanfora he is.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ess-undergo-labrum-surgery-in-offseason/

Legend
Legend
We all would like answers "now."

But sometimes patience works out. I am a Braves fan as well as the Guardians. Going into this season the Braves third baseman Austin Riley was in a make or break year. He was 24 years old and it looked like he would be a 30 home run guy that would probably hit 250 with a lot of strikeouts. That was how he was trending. There was talk of trading him. He came up with the Braves as a top prospect. It looked like he would be ok but not great.

This season he hit 303 avg, 33 home runs, with 107 rbi's. Plus he played third at a gold glove pace. He played a huge part in the Braves winning the World Series.

Sometimes the trade you don't make pays off huge.

If all I had ever seen from Baker was average . I would feel differently. But the "good Baker" was good. And that gives me hope. Because it shows that the ability is there. It is not a fluke. You don't play the way he did in the second half of last season and forget how.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. It's not like he never played well. There was a stretch where he was very good. The only facet of Bakers game that I was starting to agree with his critics on was Bakers inability to lead us down the field in crunch time. He still may get better at this but right now I can understand his detractors.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We've seen the good and we've seen the bad. What I'm hoping we'll begin to see is the good with some consistency. Entering next season healthy should give us a clear picture of which Baker we will get. I'm certainly hoping for the best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Me also. I want to see Baker succeed here in the worst way.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
With regard to the footwork, the injury definitely impacted it. He went back to his flawed, but previously successful comfort zone, knowing he had to compensate for the shoulder.

Legend
Legend
I said it before, and I'll say it again. I am sure that his left foot/right knee injuries have his footwork completely screwed up. He was dropping back, and getting up on his toes. I haven't paid super close attention, but it seems like he is not doing that every time I look.

I think that these injuries, along with the shoulder, are just throwing his whole body off kilter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I am with you and I think most of us are as well.

But I have to agree that how you play at crunch time matters a lot.

How do you play when the game is there to be won? For some games it could have been drops or bad plays called.

But at some point you have to deliver at that time. He has done it on occasion. It is time to make it the rule and not the exception.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Looking at the recovery and rehab time needed for a surgery dealing with a torn labrum, it varies greatly depending upon the seriousness of the injury. Four to six months seems to be an average time frame for recovery and rehab.

It could take until the end of June 2022 before Mayfield is ready to return. If I'm the Browns and looking to be prepared for a worse case scenario, the Browns would need to decide if Keenham is capable filling the team's needs in the event that Mayfield's recovery from surgery requires more time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Me also. I want to see Baker succeed here in the worst way.

I would prefer he succeeds in the best way. But as long as he succeeds it ok with me wink

Joe Thomas #73
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
it is his non-throwing shoulder. he should be in 100% recovered no more than 4 months after surgery.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, Baker is an overachieving little guy. So was Manziel, who got hurt running, Baker got hurt tackling and getting pounded on. Size matters, couple inches taller you see the safety, bigger you don't get hurt as easily. Question for all Browns fans, would you rather have Baker or Bills Allen....my choice is Allen- bigger, stronger, has better arm. I don't want old Wilson, he's small and will get hurt eventually. I want our draft experts to find a bigger QB who is smart enough not to tackle and execute a run first offense. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Hammer
it is his non-throwing shoulder. he should be in 100% recovered no more than 4 months after surgery.

Ham...just 4 months... fingerscrossed

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd rather have Allen. I also agree with you about Wilson. Wilson is still good but past his prime and because of his size he will only get more fragile with age. Baker is what we have for now. We can hope he heals up well and improves.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
as long as he did not tear the rotator cuff tendons. 6 months, at least, if the rotators are torn and have to be repaired (if possible).

By all accounts, it appears it was just the labrum. Fortunately, it is his non-throwing shoulder. If it were his throwing shoulder, career would be in jeopardy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence… but we've been over a ton of fences in the last twenty years and a truly green pasture is very rare. So those rooting against Baker or wanting him gone should damn well watch what they wish for, or we will end up back on the endless hunt.

1 member likes this: Hammer
P
Legend
Legend
P
Who is it that's "rooting against Baker"?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nobody is just saying it, obviously, but scroll through the Mayfield threads. If you can't see it, I can't help you.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Certainly there are a few posters who have decided Baker is a bum and would happily move on and not have Baker. I think some of those posters come across as gleeful when posting when he plays badly. It feels very much like they wound rather be right than have Baker play well. I'm sure They wo9uld all rush to tell you otherwise, but I'm sure I'm not alone in interpreting their posts that way.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Reading something as "gleeful" is a matter of your interpretation of the printed word. I can't speak for others but it pains me to see the performance we've witnessed on the field from Baker. It's why almost every poster on this board fully supports Baker be the starter again next year in hopes that his injury explains what we've all been a witness to. Sometimes people see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe. That doesn't make it so.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Communication is a two way process. It matters what the receiver interprets and "hears" as much as what the speaker (typer) thinks his intention/message was. Maybe if I was the only person with that take I explained, your point would be irrefutable. As it is I think there are probably a few posters that get the same message from some of the overtly negative posters. Not only is it about what's said, it's the volume and quantity of what's said and it's also about what's not said when Baker has played well. Jmo

Last edited by mgh888; 01/02/22 03:43 PM.

1 member likes this: archbolddawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
So those rooting against Baker or wanting him gone should damn well watch what they wish for, or we will end up back on the endless hunt.

I don't know anybody rooting AGAINST Baker. Some of us recognize his flaws and deficiencies as well as his talent and production. The problem is, when you add it all up, he's a significant upgrade over the trash we've had for 20+ years (not saying much) but he's also not good enough to take us where we ultimately want to go unless we have a magical year with a light schedule, no injuries, and surround him with all-pro players and coaches at every position (a combination that basically never happens).

I want him back next year. Let him heal. Hope he improves. He's the best of a lot of bad options. But go into the season knowing full well he's likely to be better than this year (healthy) but still not at the level we ultimately want/need.

To that end are we "back on the endless hunt" or are we still in the middle of it - present tense?

I believe it's the latter.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nobody is just saying it, obviously, but scroll through the Mayfield threads. If you can't see it, I can't help you.

That's not true, just like it's not true that there's a legion of people pulling out every excuse because Baker is playing well and blameless for our current record.

Nobody is saying that Baker isn't playing poorly, just as it's NOT true that if you plug in another QB we're guaranteed SB-bound. The issue is much more complicated.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by oobernoober

That's not true, just like it's not true that there's a legion of people pulling out every excuse because Baker is playing well and blameless for our current record.

Nobody is saying that Baker isn't playing poorly, just as it's NOT true that if you plug in another QB we're guaranteed SB-bound. The issue is much more complicated.

It's really not. The Browns were 3-6 in games decided by 6 points or less. Baker was 0-5 in game winning drive opportunities. Would it be nice if he had a Jamar Chase he can hail marys too like Burrow? Yeah, for sure it would. But he is not and has never been clutch. In four years, he's never been clutch. The NFL is about the QB. If you have good ones that win games, you've got a shot. If you don't, you don't. We don't have one of those guys. It's really that simple.

Everyone can be better. Stefanski, Woods, scheme, talent, etc. But if Baker were a better QB, the Browns would be preparing for the playoffs. It's that simple.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You can literally swap out Baker for "the defense" in your last post and it would make sense and be completely true.

A lot went wrong this year. Hanging it on one name shows bias/agenda and nothing more.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
You can literally swap out Baker for "the defense" in your last post and it would make sense and be completely true.

A lot went wrong this year. Hanging it on one name shows bias/agenda and nothing more.

It doesn't show either. I keep asking this question - do people on this board even watch other games or understand at all how wins and losses are determined in the NFL?

Your QB is bottom 10 or maybe 5 in every meaningful statistic there is.

Yes, the coaching could have been better. Yes, the talent could be better. Yes, injuries factored in. But better QB play and we are in the playoffs. It's that simple.

For all of you diehard Baker supporters, do you know that not one single ex-player that has a microphone thinks he's good. Does that count at all?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rish, I'm not the biggest Baker fan, trust me ! Columbus and I sit together and I many times yell Baker over rated !.. Emotions in play of course..

Maybe this year it might not be the best time to judge .. I can't throw a football that well or far, I'm no QB either. But seriously having a harness around the injured shoulder can't be a good thing at all.

No excuses, but a little understanding and sympathy. There were hurt Defensive players who didn't play well with injuries and lots sat out.. Didn't hear much disgust toward them as in Baker.

This team can finish 9-8 under a really hurt QB.. It shows some heart toughness and integrity..

Would the over paid Keenum done any better ? if so why wasn't he playing ?

The QB situation really frustrated me as most of us.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz

It doesn't show either. I keep asking this question - do people on this board even watch other games or understand at all how wins and losses are determined in the NFL?

Your QB is bottom 10 or maybe 5 in every meaningful statistic there is.

Yes, the coaching could have been better. Yes, the talent could be better. Yes, injuries factored in. But better QB play and we are in the playoffs. It's that simple.

For all of you diehard Baker supporters, do you know that not one single ex-player that has a microphone thinks he's good. Does that count at all?

I agree 100% that better QB play and we would have been in the playoffs - or most definitely playing for the Div Title next week, because bad QB play cost us a minimum of 1 game.

Does it count that no ex-player thinks he's good? Not really. Most definitely not to me. He's not been good this year since week 3. So "they" are being accurate.

The question that has any meaning at all is - can he be good. And you don't think he can and many agree with you. I think he can be more than 'good enough' and think he might be very good ... and we'll probably get to see next year. Hope he gets and stays healthy and has a 100% recovery.

R
Legend
Legend
R
He might not be here next year. Making it's way through twitter earlier today was that Baker's camp can be as vocal as OBJ's and he would welcome a change of scenery.

I know you don't want to believe it. It is speculation. But this smoke exists and the fire is real. Baker started planting these stories with MKC several weeks ago. Now that the Browns are eliminated from the playoffs expect those stories to intensify. Baker will be here next year if Berry and Stefanski want him here, and that is the only way he will be here. Stay tuned. We'll know over the next few months.

And no, I won't be happy if Baker is gone next year. There will be a part of me that is very sad that it didn't work out. My commentary on his play does not mean I want him to fail. It's just what I see, feel, and observe of his play.

The Browns are once again a clown show with question marks at QB.

What a disaster.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield continued

Link Copied to Clipboard