Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1917596 01/05/22 10:59 AM
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I haven't been an active poster in a while, just signed back in this week.

If this thread should go somewhere else, or is already being discussed, please delete or move it.

Since this weekends game against Cincinnati is pretty much meaningless I figured we could go ahead and start discussing the off-season wish list.

Because why not?

Our list of team free agents can be found here:

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1914809/2022-browns-fa-roster#Post1914809

(Though I don't see Ronnie Harrison on the list and I'm pretty sure he's set to become a free agent).

Here is mine:

Starting with our own players:

Re-sign Clowney
Re-sign Takk
Re-sign MD Stewart
Re-sign Hubbard (only at a discounted rate).
Re-sign McDowell
Re-sign D'Ernest Johnson
Restructure Jarvis Landry (assuming he'll accept a restructure).

I'm on the fence with Ronnie Harrison and Anthony Walker.

If they'll agree to team friendly deals to stay, then I'd love to keep them, but I don't think either warrant huge contracts.

I'm okay with everyone else walking, even Njoku and Higgins.

IMHO neither have been consistent enough to warrant extensions.

Release or trade:

Austin Hooper
JC Tretter
Jarvis Landry (if he doesn't accept a restructured deal)
Case Keenum

I like Tretter and I like Keenum but the cap space they're taking up is going to be way more valuable.

I love Jarvis but at his age and in this offense he isn't worth $14 million a season.

IMHO we're better off using the cap to try and keep Takk and Clowney around.

I'm okay with Nick Harris becoming the starter at center.

Free agency:

DJ Chark WR (Jacksonville) - He got hurt early in the season against the Bengals, so we might be able to get him at a very fair price.
Mike Williams WR (Los Angeles) - We'll have to overpay for him, but that's okay, we desperately need WR help.
Evan Engram TE (NY Giants) - IDC if we have to overpay a little for him, we desperately need some speed and athleticism at the TE position.
Charles Leno OT (Washington) - Here is our new backup swing tackle. We absolutely HAVE to address backup tackle in free agency.
Solomon Thomas DT (Vegas) - Depth defensive tackle signing. Helps replace Malik Jackson.
Jayon Brown LB (Tennessee) - Another depth signing here - we'll need an LB if we lose both Anthony Walker and Malcolm Smith.
Jacoby Brissett QB (Miami) - Replaces Keenum as the backup on a cheaper deal.

Draft:

1st Round - Garrett Wilson WR Ohio State
2nd Round - Devin Lloyd LB Utah
3rd Round - Ali Gaye DE LSU
4th Round - BPA at offensive line
4th Round - BPA at linebacker
5th Round - BPA at punter/kicker
6th Round - BPA at punter/kicker

I don't know the draft prospects well enough to do a full mock.

I do know that I want a WR and an LB early in the draft.

If we have to move up a little bit to get Lloyd then I would be thrilled to do so.

If Sam Howell is available to draft in the 2nd round, then I would not be opposed to that as well.

Final thoughts:

I think our biggest needs going into the offseason are addressing receiver and tight end, especially if the plan is to bring Mayfield back for one last extended audition next season. I think our WR's were awful, and I think Hooper was awful, and Njoku was wicked inconsistent. We also need to address backup tackle, and then we need to continue to add depth on defense. Even if we lose Ronnie Harrison, I'm perfectly good with Grant Delpit, John Johnson and hopefully MD Stewart (he needs re-signed). Our roster isn't THAT far away if we can make a few key additions. Ideally we would sign one of the top free agent DT's and WR's, but I think we'll have to go bargain hunting again like last season, I'm not holding my breath for a Chris Godwin or Devanta Adams type signing.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
3 members like this: mgh888, GratefulDawg, DeisleDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Takk and Hubbard are both coming off of pretty devastating injuries. Takk's was later on in the year (no hope he's going to be ready for TC) and Hubbard's is his second in 2 years. I like both of those guys but I don't think it makes sense to keep them because we rely too heavily on those 2 depth spots.

I'm curious about how they handle Tretter. That dude has been a warrior for us and is right up there with Teller and Bitonio as the premier interior OL. He's always banged up but he always plays. That said, I think Harris is ready. I like Hance as an heir to Hubbard. He is what he is, but he played admirably when he started at tackle.

I think you look to keep Njoku, but only if you can do something with Hooper. Many aren't happy with the production from Njoku, but Hooper has been just as disappointing, really doesn't give you anything from a matchup perspective, and is massively overpaid.

I'm not really sure what we're going to do with the WR room, but I hope letting Landry go isn't part of the plan. We no longer have a viable #1 to take attention away from the other, and DPJ wasn't able to really fill that role. Assuming Landry can get fully healthy and actually put in a full season next year, replacing him will be equally tough. I say this under the assumption that Higgins is pretty much already gone. They opted to dress guys further down the depth chart instead of him, and now Baker rarely goes to him. I think we need to get at least 3 legit potential options to battle out for open spots, and 1 should be a flashier signing, while the other can be draft picks or a later signing.

We really need to draft a legit DE. Takk is gone AND we need to sign Clowney but we need a young guy behind him.

Overall, I like our kicker.

We are probably going to need a new punter. Not sure what happened to Gillan, but he was solid and then he wasn't.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
The one to watch on our Oline is Conklin. I believe I heard the rehab for his knee is really long.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Clowney is a must. Njoku is a must too IMO. I know it’s a lot of dead money, but we gotta rid ourselves of Hooper.

Give us a top WR in the draft and a WR in free agency (I’d also explore trading for Jerry Jeudy)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
(I’d also explore trading for Jerry Jeudy)

I could get on board with that.

He hasn't done much in Denver, and with them so invested in Patrick and Sutton they could be looking to move him.

Good call.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Off-season wish list...

A competent QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Off-season wish list...

A competent QB.

Yeah, that guy we had last year looked pretty good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: TrooperDawg
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
My list (in no particular order):

1. At least 1 big, fast receiver who can catch.
2. A big time inside linebacker
3. Consistent QB play - from either Baker or someone else
4. Commitment to running the ball and not being worried about "saving" Chubb

Not suggesting we draft a QB, but if there's one the team likes (IF they decide Mayfield isn't the one), you could do worse for a rookie QB than to plug him into this offense with it's potential to run the ball and play-action. It could be that rare situation where a rookie QB can learn on the job without taking the beating that some have taken due to being on a really bad team. Think of Kosar with Mack and Byner as somewhat of an analogy. It might require trading up, or one (Pickett?) might be sitting there when the Browns draft.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by CBFAN19

Not suggesting we draft a QB, but if there's one the team likes (IF they decide Mayfield isn't the one), you could do worse for a rookie QB than to plug him into this offense with it's potential to run the ball and play-action. It could be that rare situation where a rookie QB can learn on the job without taking the beating that some have taken due to being on a really bad team. Think of Kosar with Mack and Byner as somewhat of an analogy. It might require trading up, or one (Pickett?) might be sitting there when the Browns draft.

Nice post CB...I agree 100%. Pickett would be my choice, but I think we would have to trade up to get him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice thread !

My wish would be that everyone on the team could sit down and talk things out...

I wish Baker will grow 3 inches...

I wish Baker Luck ! at least he's not swimming around on a Swan like......Not going to say it.

I wish all the fans can calm down ! although the rights to not be !! I support..

I wish Baker could calm down and be a little more calm or cool as some say that Rodgers and other QB's do..could be a line thing...or just happy feet !

I wish all the injuries from the start of this season ends here and the start of 22 is injury free...

I wish ticket prices , food and drink prices go down..

Most of all I wish all of you the best year and hope to keep seeing you posting on here because you love the same team we all do on here !!!!

One more wish ! most important ! Wish we all can see a SB win !!!

Legend
Legend
I wish health for Baker... When healthy and protected, he wins.. That's a fact.

I wish for the continuation of Defense as it's currently constructed. Add another LB, Safety and DB

I wish for a HUGE improvement on Special Teams... Consistent kicker.. Natson (or find someone better) returning... Someone that can put it through the uprights beyond 50.

Find the Number one receiver.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
for the crowd that wants a QB:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...und-pick-and-jared-goff-to-lions-for-qb/

the Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for
the Rams' first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff
the lions also inherited Goff will count for $22.2 million on LA's books in 2021 while he is playing for Detroit

is anyone willing to give up more than 2 first-round picks, a 3rd, the reaming 2 years of Wilson's contract, and Baker's 19 million dollar contract in 2022?

I would rather see how Baker does in 2022. I think he has a ton of reasons to play with a big ole chip on his shoulder

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
3 members like this: THROW LONG, FATE, Baker_Dawg
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Baker
As a Baker fan, I hope Baker gets traded to the Saints. A stable legitimate organization lead by a great football coach and a great offensive mind. Healthy with the Saints I am confident he will be close to an all-pro.

As a Browns fan.

The Browns should roll with a healthy Baker....he is dirt cheap and will allow them to load up elsewhere.

That will require cutting loose (Berry) or pulling in line the anti-Baker part of the team (Stefanski).

Stefanski needs to give up play calling, not just because he sucks at it, but also it is causing him to fail as a head coach. The team has been falling apart and has had infighting all season. That definitely is the head coach's fault. No one respects him, including Baker. I think Baker and Stefanski are oil and water. Stefanski needs to step away from Baker and let Van Pelt take over, I think they are a match. Open the offense up and get Baker back confident, like he played at Oklahoma and as a rookie, no double clutches, and not this uptight Stefanski crap.

If they cut loose Baker, get ready for a journeyman (Jimmy G, Cousins, or a rookie) none of which will be an upgrade and all of which will net a loss of money. I guarantee Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson aren't coming to Cleveland, period.

WR

Cut Jarvis, Higgins.
Draft in the first and second rounds WR's from Alabama and Ohio State. No veteran number 1 is coming to Cleveland.
Sign a veteran slot, possession receiver that just gets open

TE
Cut Hooper
Sign Njoku, have Berry and Stefanski apologize and smooth things over with him. He CAN be dominant.
Sign a TE late in the draft

LB
Draft a LB in the 2nd or 3rd round
Sign a vet LB

Oline
Cut Tretter
Sign tackle depth at all costs.

Bring in several vet kickers to compete

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/c

My view
Last year I thought the resigning Baker talk was silly. He had two years left, let it play out under the cheap contract. Simple as that. Use that extra money on players while you can. If he played great after that time, it’s going to cost us anyways to re-sign a top QB.

Once this year started and through it, same mind set. We don’t get to see what goes on behind the scenes, which is good but this is my view. Forget all the Rogers, Wilson talk. That’s too much collateral for some great getting to the end of their career guys. Within a couple years we would be back at square one, looking for a QB. I would be interested in Watson, but that all depends on price and his situation. I know it’s going to take a few first rounders, depends on Watson’s preference and etc.

This upcoming draft on paper doesn’t look that great for QB’s. We could be drafting around 10 if we lose next week. We could be drafting around 18 if we win. I don’t see how we are going to trade up high enough to get Pickett from Pittsburgh. Also would you dump enough 1st rounders for him or for Watson who is a known? The less top QBs in the draft the more you are going to have to pay for them.

What I would do, if everything is good with Baker and the coaching staff then I would ride out next season with Baker. Use that money on extensions and holes. Draft the BPA or trade back and try to pick up a first rounder for next years draft. If Baker balls out, great, extend him or franchise him. I know most players don’t like the tag, but I would work something out or get a bunch of picks for him (if that scenario played out this board would go crazy, haha). If Baker plays like crap, fine, we should be in a position to get a top QB in the 2023 draft.

Reasons for playing it out:
Baker’s contract is cheap, I don’t trust his vision, but he does have a live arm and has shown a good to great side at times in the past. I would still like to see a (hopefully) full year of a healthy Baker.
Next years draft should have a bunch of talented QBs: Bryce Young, CJ Stoud, DJ Uiagalele (if he bounces back) the QB from Boston College, and whoever else comes out of nowhere.
If we have to move on, then I would focus my QB pick to next years draft and then get a bridge QB if needed.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
#1 - Healthy Baker Mayfield on a contract year
#2 - Cut Jarvis Landry for salary cap savings and draft 1st round WR Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, or Garret Wilson to be the teams #1 WR.
#3 - Use Landy's cap space to Sign Christian Kirk WR Arizona in Free Agency
#4 - Re-Sign Clowney, Njoku, and Harrison.
#5 - Extend Denzil Ward contract

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
I agree with drafting 2 WRs and trying to find a vet slot type guy who gets open underneath. Landry’s days are numbered and that would allow DPJ to be that 3rd/4th WR where he fits.

Cutting Hooper is costly and I’m not sure how we could swing it, but it’s apparent that Njoku is better than him by a mile.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC....There's a couple FA signings I'd be looking into...All signings are rather cheap and realistic

QB Mariota- Obviously we need some competition and insurance at QB, He's a FA and won't us our future, and isn't a pipe dream (Aaron Rodgers...oh how we could wish) I actually think he fits the scheme rather well on roll-outs and PA...He'd replace Keenun, and if Baker has issues with rehabbing his injury or struggles.

WR Braxton Berrios- I'm not saying because I'm a U guy, wanted this guy when the Pats dumped him. This guy would def. improve our speed and ability, as he's instantly quick and gritty...Won't cost a ton, adds an element to this offense oh and he's the #1 kick returner in the NFL (which you all know we are always backed up every drive) I really would love Kirk, but Arizona is going to find ways to pay him...someone mentioned DJ Chark (and I do expect him to leave Jacksonville) he wouldn't be bad, espcially rehabbing injury he'll be affordable.

RT Morgan Moses- Another guy whom I wanted once he was dumped by Washington...More of a power guy though, did very on the Jets...With Conklin recovering from a severe injury, and how OT depth has killed is this year.

DT BJ Hill- We need someone whom plays their gap stoutly, Hill is that guy...Plus why not pluck talent off Cincy's roster.

DE Derek Barnett- I have a feeling Clowney is out, he'll just cost too much, and he smartly improved his stock...Barnett will do wonders opposite Myles, and be more affordable.

Hoop and Landry contracts need to be restructured, especially Hoop...I'd look to bring back Njoku as he is our only TE that can stretch the seam, however he may not want to come back here. I have zero doubt we will be extending Denzel Ward. Takk, Harrison, Higgins, Hubbard, Malik Jackson are all gone imo...Though I can see Malik coming back cheaper, as he's a good locker room guy and rotation piece at this point in his career. I think Tretter may be on the way out as well.

Draft.

1. Garrett Wilson WR

2. Cameron Thomas DE

3. Jordan Battle S

4. Jarrett Patterson C

4. DaVonte Watt DT

5. Zay Flowers WR

6. Best QB prospect

7. Best K prospect

Legend
Legend
My wish list:

Return to the drawing board and figure out a path forward.

For the last two years, we have had one of the most talent-laden rosters in the league and we have completely squandered it, and now that window is closed. Half of this defensive roster was on a 1-year deal. Keeping all of the parts that made it start to hum in the second half of the year is going to be difficult. On offense, despite returning the entire roster that performed so well last year, they were completely incapable of performing at last year's level after week two; mostly due to injuries. This team got the snot beat out of it in those first four weeks and never recovered. Conklin & Hubbard were far more a linchpin than most folks realize, and the cascading effect their loss caused was massive in its impact. Wills... he wasn't good, but I think he is better than what he was this year. I have to think his ankle never really healed, it was just good enough to not land him on the injury report. Either way, when you have no tackles and your formations/protections refuse to give any help to either spot, you're going to have issues.

My wish list starts with the coaches and GM and a BIG, HEALTHY dose of HONEST self-reflection on everything they screwed up this year, and a large enough dose of humility to make the changes necessary to ACTUALLY be better, and not just keep talking about being better like an automaton stuck in a loop.

Landry: extend him, rework that cap hit and keep him. He's the best we have and it isn't even close. He may want out and be more accepting of a release, however.
WR: we need a LOT of help here. We need guys that can run the routes they are supposed to run, hit their windows on-time, and CATCH the damn ball when it comes their way. We need #1, Slot, and a backup to Landry (or replacement for him if he goes). This is probably all moot, however, since we're never coming out of the 3-TE set and we're going to continue to telegraph everything with our personnel packages.
TE: this group is an ineffective mess, and an expensive one. We need to keep Njoku, but I don't think he is worth the money it will take. We should definitely be drafting some former basketball player. I think we save $2 million if we release Hooper, but I wouldn't do that without a solid plan for replacing him.
OLine: Our 1st round pick NEEDS to be a Right Tackle. Conklin is gone and we have a massive hole there. Hudson, with some growth, could be our Swing Tackle, but he needs to get a LOT better & stronger to be as good as Hubbard was. He & Wills both need to be a LOT quicker in their sets, but still not give up the inside when doing it. Re-sign Hance.

DLine: Re-sign Clowney. Give him a deal that keeps him here until he retires. Period. Give McDowell a new contract. Find a replacement for Takk. Keep Odenigbo. Draft a big-ole penetrating, block eating DT. Keep Malcolm Smith.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by CBFAN19

I'm intrigued by Pickett - though we probably would need to trade up and get him.

I liked watching him this year. His size and mobility makes him very intriguing.

My first choice though is to smooth things over with Baker and get him back here healthy next season though.

If that ends up being the plan then going WR in the 1st, and probably 2nd round will be a must.

As some have mentioned, it's not likely we'll be able to attract any #1 type WR's via free agency without drastically overpaying for one.

(As I mentioned, I wouldn't mind overpaying a little for Mike Williams and Evan Engram).

T
Legend
Legend
T
Steve Martin, many years ago, once, went on Saturday night live, and said.
"If I had one wish, it would be for all the children of the world, to join hands, and sing, in the spirit of the holiday season."

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I mostly agree with what you said here but I'd like to add some color.

Your list start of "Coaches and GM getting a BIG, HEALTHY dose of HONEST self-reflection on everything they screwed up this year, and a large enough dose of humility to make the changes necessary to ACTUALLY be better, and not just keep talking about being better like an automaton stuck in a loop" needs to start with with hiring an Offensive Coordinator that will run an offense that highlights the skill sets of your players especially your QB. In today's game of specialization, you cannot expect your players to conform to your style of play if you expect to be successful. You have to build it to the skill set your specialists possess. You do not have to reinvent the wheel but build upon what you have by playing to your players strengths. Finally, and 100% without waiver, Stefanski must give up the play calling and manage the TEAM as he's supposed too!

Landry: I certainly don't expect him to rework his final year. I also wouldn't think he wants to stay after what they did to OBJ and the huge reduction over the last 2-years in the passing game. There's no upside for taking the cut and/or staying here if the Browns do not correct the scheme and start playing not only to Baker's skill set but the WR's as a whole. Landry might be the best the Browns currently have but the alienation of the WR group as a whole and lack of targets (25%-30% less than other teams) gives the Browns very little wiggle room with Landry or any FA without the immediate changes from the start list.

The 3 TE set needs to disappear except for special situations because it telegraphs your playset. Has proved unsuccessful and does more to hurt Chubb and Hunt than it helps. Plus, only 1 WR on the field the number of times they run that set is just plain BS.

I agree the TE group is an ineffective set. First let's talk about Hooper. The Browns clearly overpaid for Hooper but not unlike Baker, the Browns haven't come close to playing to his skill set. Look, like it or not, the Browns went out and signed a TE that averaged 93 targets a season the two previous seasons. The Browns then proceeded to cut his targets by 25% last year and and 34% this year from what he averaged in Atlanta. Call me stupid but I have a real hard time understanding why the Browns would go out and give a guy one of the highest contracts ever in the NFL for a TE and then cut his targets. This is the type of Head Coach the Browns have and it's just plain stupid to not play to your players skill set. Is Hooper a bust? I don't know but I do know that the Browns paid a whole hell of a lot of money for a receiving TE only to cut his targets dramatically. How smart was that move?

You and I will have to disagree on Njoku. Njoku got his 5th year option after catching 112 passes in 4-years. More importantly though, his reception production the last 2-years was 24 total catches. Think about that a moment, the Browns exercised the 5th year option on a guy that only caught 24 passes in 2-years to a 6-million dollar option after they already spent 40 million on Hooper. In return, the Browns got 34 receptions from Njoku or over $175,000 per catch. Njoku isn't worth a rookie 5th round pay at this point.

O-line, I agree with everything you said except I think they need to start looking for a replacement for Wills who should move inside. Wills graded out at 62nd out of 64 starting tackles this year. I know he was having ankle issues that contributed to his low rating but he wasn't in the top half last year either. The experiment isn't working and Baker's got the scars to prove it.

Clowney is a maybe because I'm not so sure he'll be asking for a respectable contract. I think he might price himself out of Cleveland.

FA:
WR Berrios NYJ - I know he's small but he has great speed and would be a slot receiver just like Edelman was for the Pats. I also think he'd add a little spark to the WR group and would be very affordable.
WR Williams LAC - He'll be expensive but he can take to top off defenses and at 6'4" he gives Baker a big target. I also think he would bite on being the #1 WR instead of playing under Keenan Allen. There's no way he comes here with the current scheme though so that has to be announced and changed right after the season ends if we hope to attract any quality WR.
OLB Riddick CAR - He would be a nice add the the LB corp and can rush from the edge.

Draft:
I'll only talk about our top pick and I think that should be WR J. Williams from Alabama. The retooling of the WR corp has to be a top priority and any 1st round pick has to be ready to go on day one. J. Williams is the fastest receiver in college football and would bring uncanny speed to the Browns WR group if they can add Berrios and Mike Williams. Adding J. Williams to a group including M. Williams and Berrios would ease the pressure of having to be the guy but all of this is mute if the Browns don't address the 30% less passing attempts we had compared to other top teams. Chubb will still get his yards but the Browns won't be predictable like they are now and have speed second to none in the NFL at WR.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
O
Legend
Legend
O
Regarding the TEs.

Hooper is a pass-catching TE. He's NOT good at blocking (never was), and his method of racking up the stats he did in Atlanta was being really really in sync with Matt Ryan by spending a ton of practice time catching passes from him (plus the garbage time stat padding). I know I'm very much against him, but these two points came from an article that was posted on here when he signed with the Browns. IMO, what this offense needs from its 1st TE is one of those jack-of-all-trades TEs (run blocks well, can run simple routes well, and has good-great hands). Hooper blocks poorly, and has questionable hands. Bryant has a MUCH better chance of being that guy for us (his hands issues seem to be a thing from last year, and he was originally an offensive tackle in college which should mean he can block well). I thought Bryant's role for us shrunk this year, but he looked pretty good. Hooper's role was large and revealed a LOT of negative plays.

Njoku is an enigma to me (tbh, this is an upgrade on how I thought of him at this time last year). A guy like him (matchup nightmare at TE) should feast in this offense. I don't understand why he has pretty much never gone off this season. I think we've reached the end of the time period where we can talk about his potential, and have to just look at him for what he is, a really inconsistent player. Despite that, I have him above Hooper on my TE list.

My pie-in-the-sky wish for this offseason is to get Hooper off the roster, and retain Njoku. Neither of those things seem likely, though.

-PrplPplEater
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Steve0255 I would be tickled if we could land the three WR's you mentioned ....

T
Legend
Legend
T
Might be Drunk, not a Browns fan, or don't know what they are talking about.
On anybody who wants to get rid of all of Hooper, Njoku, Tretter, and Higgins.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I would wish for Strength and Conditioning to figure out a magic bullet for preventing all of our injury issues.

1 member likes this: CBFAN19
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the Browns carry the NFL normal of 5-6 WR's and the Browns are seriously looking to upgrade the WR corp, there's not really a spot for Higgins. If Landry gets cut because he won't renegotiate (highly likely) then the FA market must be used to rebuild the group. Like I said in my wish list, over-paying for a guy like M. Williams from the LAC is a possibility with a new offensive coordinator and adjusted scheme. He'd walk in as the Browns #1 WR and would be a huge upgrade with speed and size. Then you go after the affordable Berrios to play in the slot. I know he's small but his over-achieving ability plus always on go mentality and speed would be like having a slot WR comparable to Eldeman when he played for the NEP except faster. Use the top draft pick on J. Williams from Alabama who's rated the fastest player in college this year and you're getting a new young receiving group with speed to burn.

That makes Peoples-Jones the #4 WR and Schwartz #5 (another player with speed to burn) going into his second year. Then it becomes a case of the Browns carrying 5 or 6 WR's and what they have to offer. Does that open the door for Higgins, Bradley, or a late round draft pick that fits the new WR mold? Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama is an option that provides size at the position and drafting a player with Tolbert's skill set and production profile in the late 3rd or early 4th at that point would be a steal. Given his size 6'3" and explosive ability, in college, Tolbert was moved all over the formation, lining up outside, inside, and often being sent motion. That versatility translates into comfortability with a wide variety of routes. Tolbert's positional flexibility should be attractive to many teams. Tolbert continually finds ways to get open, whether facing press, man, or zone coverage. His ability to make contested catches will help as he transitions to playing against NFL defensive backs. He was able to take the top off of defenses at the college level but will likely use that explosiveness to dominate the middle of the field at the NFL level making himself a big target for his QB.

After 6-years and only 137 receptions, you have to ask yourself if the investment in Higgins is warranted going forward. Bradley could also be questioned on his growth these first 2-years so do we start over or continue down the same path hoping for improvement from players that haven't taken that step yet?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Back up tackles, who actually played tackle at a high level. No more project lineman. WRs that are big and fast. No more of these short 160 lb ones. A stud TE to replace slow as molasses Hooper and his questionable hands. Another BIG fast LB to play with JOK and Phillips. An offensive scheme that actually spreads the defense out, instead of bunching them all around the LOS. A frigging kicker who is dependable.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Apparently we need to wish for team chemistry...

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Add yoga instructor to the wish list....

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd love to know more about "relationship with the training staff could be a lot better". That's a red flag, to me.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
IMO given the "current state of the team."

I believe our best chance to win the North next year is to focus on the defense. That of course does not mean forget the offense.

Unless something happens Baker is our quarterback and that will play out however it does. There is no magic wand there.

We have good talent on defense now. Myles, Ward, Newsome, JOK, Greedy, Delpit, McDowell, JJ, Hill, Phillips.

We have others like Walker, Stewart, Taki that are good enough.

We need to bring Clowney back for sure. If Takk is healthy I would bring him back as well.

I would look to improve at any position on defense because you need depth for injury. Pass rush is king. A dominate defense is based upon pressure.

McDowell flashes ability at tackle. But we need to bring pressure in waves of people.

I love our corners. Ward, Newsome, and Greedy are all really good. Hill is ok. Are safety's are good. Delpit started to play better. Harrison is inconsistent.
JJ is a good player.

In the games that Phillips played he looked good. IMO JOK will be one of the best players in football.

We have talent on defense. They need to play better as unit. I think they are getting close. But if we can add more pass rushers from inside or outside we should do it.

When you can consistently play good defense and hold teams to 17 points or less. You can win many games. You are not as dependent upon great offensive play.

Right now I will not say who to sign as free agents because that is not all within our control. FA can do as they please.

To early in the draft for me to have an opinion on players I like.

Obviously we have great RB's. Also obviously we have to upgrade the receiver unit as a whole. And we need tackle depth. I sure hope that Conklin can return fully healthy. We need him big time.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man

That might get Deshaun Watson here.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: FATE, oobernoober, CBFAN19
O
Legend
Legend
O

We've got to be missing some context here....

The thought that my Brownies don't have access to yoga is almost infuriating. A bunch of old-farts on here have been suggesting yoga and it's not fully available to them?

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

We've got to be missing some context here....

The thought that my Brownies don't have access to yoga is almost infuriating. A bunch of old-farts on here have been suggesting yoga and it's not fully available to them?
So we have 5 strength and conditioning people and 6 research and analytics people on payroll but we draw the line at a yoga instructor?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'm a old guy.

I don't attend any yoga classes. But I have been doing 5 yoga back poses for over forty years.

At 74 I can be sitting, legs flat stretched out in front of me. I can hold my ankles with my forehead touching my knees and hold that pose for one minute.

Bring my legs straight over my head to the floor behind me, legs straight, and touch the floor with my toes. Hold that pose for one minute.

You will not pull muscles so easily if you are flexible.

Lifting bunches your muscles it does not stretch them.

I hear all these hamstrings pulls, etc. I would think yoga would help.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
That's a weak answer from Stefanski. You simply put an instructor on payroll and add them to the same testing that the rest of the coaching staff undergoes. Done.

Also, it's the year 2022.... they could have a virtual instructor run classes if it was REALLY that big of a deal (it's not, they could make it happen without a hitch).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
They could also take it upon themselves and do it alone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

A
Legend
Legend
A
They all say that unil a better offer comes.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season wish list.

Link Copied to Clipboard