DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MrKelso Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 02:59 PM
I haven't been an active poster in a while, just signed back in this week.

If this thread should go somewhere else, or is already being discussed, please delete or move it.

Since this weekends game against Cincinnati is pretty much meaningless I figured we could go ahead and start discussing the off-season wish list.

Because why not?

Our list of team free agents can be found here:

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1914809/2022-browns-fa-roster#Post1914809

(Though I don't see Ronnie Harrison on the list and I'm pretty sure he's set to become a free agent).

Here is mine:

Starting with our own players:

Re-sign Clowney
Re-sign Takk
Re-sign MD Stewart
Re-sign Hubbard (only at a discounted rate).
Re-sign McDowell
Re-sign D'Ernest Johnson
Restructure Jarvis Landry (assuming he'll accept a restructure).

I'm on the fence with Ronnie Harrison and Anthony Walker.

If they'll agree to team friendly deals to stay, then I'd love to keep them, but I don't think either warrant huge contracts.

I'm okay with everyone else walking, even Njoku and Higgins.

IMHO neither have been consistent enough to warrant extensions.

Release or trade:

Austin Hooper
JC Tretter
Jarvis Landry (if he doesn't accept a restructured deal)
Case Keenum

I like Tretter and I like Keenum but the cap space they're taking up is going to be way more valuable.

I love Jarvis but at his age and in this offense he isn't worth $14 million a season.

IMHO we're better off using the cap to try and keep Takk and Clowney around.

I'm okay with Nick Harris becoming the starter at center.

Free agency:

DJ Chark WR (Jacksonville) - He got hurt early in the season against the Bengals, so we might be able to get him at a very fair price.
Mike Williams WR (Los Angeles) - We'll have to overpay for him, but that's okay, we desperately need WR help.
Evan Engram TE (NY Giants) - IDC if we have to overpay a little for him, we desperately need some speed and athleticism at the TE position.
Charles Leno OT (Washington) - Here is our new backup swing tackle. We absolutely HAVE to address backup tackle in free agency.
Solomon Thomas DT (Vegas) - Depth defensive tackle signing. Helps replace Malik Jackson.
Jayon Brown LB (Tennessee) - Another depth signing here - we'll need an LB if we lose both Anthony Walker and Malcolm Smith.
Jacoby Brissett QB (Miami) - Replaces Keenum as the backup on a cheaper deal.

Draft:

1st Round - Garrett Wilson WR Ohio State
2nd Round - Devin Lloyd LB Utah
3rd Round - Ali Gaye DE LSU
4th Round - BPA at offensive line
4th Round - BPA at linebacker
5th Round - BPA at punter/kicker
6th Round - BPA at punter/kicker

I don't know the draft prospects well enough to do a full mock.

I do know that I want a WR and an LB early in the draft.

If we have to move up a little bit to get Lloyd then I would be thrilled to do so.

If Sam Howell is available to draft in the 2nd round, then I would not be opposed to that as well.

Final thoughts:

I think our biggest needs going into the offseason are addressing receiver and tight end, especially if the plan is to bring Mayfield back for one last extended audition next season. I think our WR's were awful, and I think Hooper was awful, and Njoku was wicked inconsistent. We also need to address backup tackle, and then we need to continue to add depth on defense. Even if we lose Ronnie Harrison, I'm perfectly good with Grant Delpit, John Johnson and hopefully MD Stewart (he needs re-signed). Our roster isn't THAT far away if we can make a few key additions. Ideally we would sign one of the top free agent DT's and WR's, but I think we'll have to go bargain hunting again like last season, I'm not holding my breath for a Chris Godwin or Devanta Adams type signing.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 03:15 PM
Takk and Hubbard are both coming off of pretty devastating injuries. Takk's was later on in the year (no hope he's going to be ready for TC) and Hubbard's is his second in 2 years. I like both of those guys but I don't think it makes sense to keep them because we rely too heavily on those 2 depth spots.

I'm curious about how they handle Tretter. That dude has been a warrior for us and is right up there with Teller and Bitonio as the premier interior OL. He's always banged up but he always plays. That said, I think Harris is ready. I like Hance as an heir to Hubbard. He is what he is, but he played admirably when he started at tackle.

I think you look to keep Njoku, but only if you can do something with Hooper. Many aren't happy with the production from Njoku, but Hooper has been just as disappointing, really doesn't give you anything from a matchup perspective, and is massively overpaid.

I'm not really sure what we're going to do with the WR room, but I hope letting Landry go isn't part of the plan. We no longer have a viable #1 to take attention away from the other, and DPJ wasn't able to really fill that role. Assuming Landry can get fully healthy and actually put in a full season next year, replacing him will be equally tough. I say this under the assumption that Higgins is pretty much already gone. They opted to dress guys further down the depth chart instead of him, and now Baker rarely goes to him. I think we need to get at least 3 legit potential options to battle out for open spots, and 1 should be a flashier signing, while the other can be draft picks or a later signing.

We really need to draft a legit DE. Takk is gone AND we need to sign Clowney but we need a young guy behind him.

Overall, I like our kicker.

We are probably going to need a new punter. Not sure what happened to Gillan, but he was solid and then he wasn't.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 03:16 PM
The one to watch on our Oline is Conklin. I believe I heard the rehab for his knee is really long.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 06:35 PM
Clowney is a must. Njoku is a must too IMO. I know it’s a lot of dead money, but we gotta rid ourselves of Hooper.

Give us a top WR in the draft and a WR in free agency (I’d also explore trading for Jerry Jeudy)
Posted By: MrKelso Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
(I’d also explore trading for Jerry Jeudy)

I could get on board with that.

He hasn't done much in Denver, and with them so invested in Patrick and Sutton they could be looking to move him.

Good call.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 07:03 PM
Off-season wish list...

A competent QB.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Off-season wish list...

A competent QB.

Yeah, that guy we had last year looked pretty good.
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 07:24 PM
My list (in no particular order):

1. At least 1 big, fast receiver who can catch.
2. A big time inside linebacker
3. Consistent QB play - from either Baker or someone else
4. Commitment to running the ball and not being worried about "saving" Chubb

Not suggesting we draft a QB, but if there's one the team likes (IF they decide Mayfield isn't the one), you could do worse for a rookie QB than to plug him into this offense with it's potential to run the ball and play-action. It could be that rare situation where a rookie QB can learn on the job without taking the beating that some have taken due to being on a really bad team. Think of Kosar with Mack and Byner as somewhat of an analogy. It might require trading up, or one (Pickett?) might be sitting there when the Browns draft.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by CBFAN19

Not suggesting we draft a QB, but if there's one the team likes (IF they decide Mayfield isn't the one), you could do worse for a rookie QB than to plug him into this offense with it's potential to run the ball and play-action. It could be that rare situation where a rookie QB can learn on the job without taking the beating that some have taken due to being on a really bad team. Think of Kosar with Mack and Byner as somewhat of an analogy. It might require trading up, or one (Pickett?) might be sitting there when the Browns draft.

Nice post CB...I agree 100%. Pickett would be my choice, but I think we would have to trade up to get him.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/05/22 11:48 PM
Nice thread !

My wish would be that everyone on the team could sit down and talk things out...

I wish Baker will grow 3 inches...

I wish Baker Luck ! at least he's not swimming around on a Swan like......Not going to say it.

I wish all the fans can calm down ! although the rights to not be !! I support..

I wish Baker could calm down and be a little more calm or cool as some say that Rodgers and other QB's do..could be a line thing...or just happy feet !

I wish all the injuries from the start of this season ends here and the start of 22 is injury free...

I wish ticket prices , food and drink prices go down..

Most of all I wish all of you the best year and hope to keep seeing you posting on here because you love the same team we all do on here !!!!

One more wish ! most important ! Wish we all can see a SB win !!!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 12:43 AM
I wish health for Baker... When healthy and protected, he wins.. That's a fact.

I wish for the continuation of Defense as it's currently constructed. Add another LB, Safety and DB

I wish for a HUGE improvement on Special Teams... Consistent kicker.. Natson (or find someone better) returning... Someone that can put it through the uprights beyond 50.

Find the Number one receiver.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 03:59 AM
for the crowd that wants a QB:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...und-pick-and-jared-goff-to-lions-for-qb/

the Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for
the Rams' first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff
the lions also inherited Goff will count for $22.2 million on LA's books in 2021 while he is playing for Detroit

is anyone willing to give up more than 2 first-round picks, a 3rd, the reaming 2 years of Wilson's contract, and Baker's 19 million dollar contract in 2022?

I would rather see how Baker does in 2022. I think he has a ton of reasons to play with a big ole chip on his shoulder
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 04:51 AM
Baker
As a Baker fan, I hope Baker gets traded to the Saints. A stable legitimate organization lead by a great football coach and a great offensive mind. Healthy with the Saints I am confident he will be close to an all-pro.

As a Browns fan.

The Browns should roll with a healthy Baker....he is dirt cheap and will allow them to load up elsewhere.

That will require cutting loose (Berry) or pulling in line the anti-Baker part of the team (Stefanski).

Stefanski needs to give up play calling, not just because he sucks at it, but also it is causing him to fail as a head coach. The team has been falling apart and has had infighting all season. That definitely is the head coach's fault. No one respects him, including Baker. I think Baker and Stefanski are oil and water. Stefanski needs to step away from Baker and let Van Pelt take over, I think they are a match. Open the offense up and get Baker back confident, like he played at Oklahoma and as a rookie, no double clutches, and not this uptight Stefanski crap.

If they cut loose Baker, get ready for a journeyman (Jimmy G, Cousins, or a rookie) none of which will be an upgrade and all of which will net a loss of money. I guarantee Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson aren't coming to Cleveland, period.

WR

Cut Jarvis, Higgins.
Draft in the first and second rounds WR's from Alabama and Ohio State. No veteran number 1 is coming to Cleveland.
Sign a veteran slot, possession receiver that just gets open

TE
Cut Hooper
Sign Njoku, have Berry and Stefanski apologize and smooth things over with him. He CAN be dominant.
Sign a TE late in the draft

LB
Draft a LB in the 2nd or 3rd round
Sign a vet LB

Oline
Cut Tretter
Sign tackle depth at all costs.

Bring in several vet kickers to compete
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 06:25 AM
J/c

My view
Last year I thought the resigning Baker talk was silly. He had two years left, let it play out under the cheap contract. Simple as that. Use that extra money on players while you can. If he played great after that time, it’s going to cost us anyways to re-sign a top QB.

Once this year started and through it, same mind set. We don’t get to see what goes on behind the scenes, which is good but this is my view. Forget all the Rogers, Wilson talk. That’s too much collateral for some great getting to the end of their career guys. Within a couple years we would be back at square one, looking for a QB. I would be interested in Watson, but that all depends on price and his situation. I know it’s going to take a few first rounders, depends on Watson’s preference and etc.

This upcoming draft on paper doesn’t look that great for QB’s. We could be drafting around 10 if we lose next week. We could be drafting around 18 if we win. I don’t see how we are going to trade up high enough to get Pickett from Pittsburgh. Also would you dump enough 1st rounders for him or for Watson who is a known? The less top QBs in the draft the more you are going to have to pay for them.

What I would do, if everything is good with Baker and the coaching staff then I would ride out next season with Baker. Use that money on extensions and holes. Draft the BPA or trade back and try to pick up a first rounder for next years draft. If Baker balls out, great, extend him or franchise him. I know most players don’t like the tag, but I would work something out or get a bunch of picks for him (if that scenario played out this board would go crazy, haha). If Baker plays like crap, fine, we should be in a position to get a top QB in the 2023 draft.

Reasons for playing it out:
Baker’s contract is cheap, I don’t trust his vision, but he does have a live arm and has shown a good to great side at times in the past. I would still like to see a (hopefully) full year of a healthy Baker.
Next years draft should have a bunch of talented QBs: Bryce Young, CJ Stoud, DJ Uiagalele (if he bounces back) the QB from Boston College, and whoever else comes out of nowhere.
If we have to move on, then I would focus my QB pick to next years draft and then get a bridge QB if needed.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 01:18 PM
#1 - Healthy Baker Mayfield on a contract year
#2 - Cut Jarvis Landry for salary cap savings and draft 1st round WR Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, or Garret Wilson to be the teams #1 WR.
#3 - Use Landy's cap space to Sign Christian Kirk WR Arizona in Free Agency
#4 - Re-Sign Clowney, Njoku, and Harrison.
#5 - Extend Denzil Ward contract
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 01:26 PM
I agree with drafting 2 WRs and trying to find a vet slot type guy who gets open underneath. Landry’s days are numbered and that would allow DPJ to be that 3rd/4th WR where he fits.

Cutting Hooper is costly and I’m not sure how we could swing it, but it’s apparent that Njoku is better than him by a mile.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 02:29 PM
JC....There's a couple FA signings I'd be looking into...All signings are rather cheap and realistic

QB Mariota- Obviously we need some competition and insurance at QB, He's a FA and won't us our future, and isn't a pipe dream (Aaron Rodgers...oh how we could wish) I actually think he fits the scheme rather well on roll-outs and PA...He'd replace Keenun, and if Baker has issues with rehabbing his injury or struggles.

WR Braxton Berrios- I'm not saying because I'm a U guy, wanted this guy when the Pats dumped him. This guy would def. improve our speed and ability, as he's instantly quick and gritty...Won't cost a ton, adds an element to this offense oh and he's the #1 kick returner in the NFL (which you all know we are always backed up every drive) I really would love Kirk, but Arizona is going to find ways to pay him...someone mentioned DJ Chark (and I do expect him to leave Jacksonville) he wouldn't be bad, espcially rehabbing injury he'll be affordable.

RT Morgan Moses- Another guy whom I wanted once he was dumped by Washington...More of a power guy though, did very on the Jets...With Conklin recovering from a severe injury, and how OT depth has killed is this year.

DT BJ Hill- We need someone whom plays their gap stoutly, Hill is that guy...Plus why not pluck talent off Cincy's roster.

DE Derek Barnett- I have a feeling Clowney is out, he'll just cost too much, and he smartly improved his stock...Barnett will do wonders opposite Myles, and be more affordable.

Hoop and Landry contracts need to be restructured, especially Hoop...I'd look to bring back Njoku as he is our only TE that can stretch the seam, however he may not want to come back here. I have zero doubt we will be extending Denzel Ward. Takk, Harrison, Higgins, Hubbard, Malik Jackson are all gone imo...Though I can see Malik coming back cheaper, as he's a good locker room guy and rotation piece at this point in his career. I think Tretter may be on the way out as well.

Draft.

1. Garrett Wilson WR

2. Cameron Thomas DE

3. Jordan Battle S

4. Jarrett Patterson C

4. DaVonte Watt DT

5. Zay Flowers WR

6. Best QB prospect

7. Best K prospect
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 03:05 PM
My wish list:

Return to the drawing board and figure out a path forward.

For the last two years, we have had one of the most talent-laden rosters in the league and we have completely squandered it, and now that window is closed. Half of this defensive roster was on a 1-year deal. Keeping all of the parts that made it start to hum in the second half of the year is going to be difficult. On offense, despite returning the entire roster that performed so well last year, they were completely incapable of performing at last year's level after week two; mostly due to injuries. This team got the snot beat out of it in those first four weeks and never recovered. Conklin & Hubbard were far more a linchpin than most folks realize, and the cascading effect their loss caused was massive in its impact. Wills... he wasn't good, but I think he is better than what he was this year. I have to think his ankle never really healed, it was just good enough to not land him on the injury report. Either way, when you have no tackles and your formations/protections refuse to give any help to either spot, you're going to have issues.

My wish list starts with the coaches and GM and a BIG, HEALTHY dose of HONEST self-reflection on everything they screwed up this year, and a large enough dose of humility to make the changes necessary to ACTUALLY be better, and not just keep talking about being better like an automaton stuck in a loop.

Landry: extend him, rework that cap hit and keep him. He's the best we have and it isn't even close. He may want out and be more accepting of a release, however.
WR: we need a LOT of help here. We need guys that can run the routes they are supposed to run, hit their windows on-time, and CATCH the damn ball when it comes their way. We need #1, Slot, and a backup to Landry (or replacement for him if he goes). This is probably all moot, however, since we're never coming out of the 3-TE set and we're going to continue to telegraph everything with our personnel packages.
TE: this group is an ineffective mess, and an expensive one. We need to keep Njoku, but I don't think he is worth the money it will take. We should definitely be drafting some former basketball player. I think we save $2 million if we release Hooper, but I wouldn't do that without a solid plan for replacing him.
OLine: Our 1st round pick NEEDS to be a Right Tackle. Conklin is gone and we have a massive hole there. Hudson, with some growth, could be our Swing Tackle, but he needs to get a LOT better & stronger to be as good as Hubbard was. He & Wills both need to be a LOT quicker in their sets, but still not give up the inside when doing it. Re-sign Hance.

DLine: Re-sign Clowney. Give him a deal that keeps him here until he retires. Period. Give McDowell a new contract. Find a replacement for Takk. Keep Odenigbo. Draft a big-ole penetrating, block eating DT. Keep Malcolm Smith.
Posted By: MrKelso Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by CBFAN19

I'm intrigued by Pickett - though we probably would need to trade up and get him.

I liked watching him this year. His size and mobility makes him very intriguing.

My first choice though is to smooth things over with Baker and get him back here healthy next season though.

If that ends up being the plan then going WR in the 1st, and probably 2nd round will be a must.

As some have mentioned, it's not likely we'll be able to attract any #1 type WR's via free agency without drastically overpaying for one.

(As I mentioned, I wouldn't mind overpaying a little for Mike Williams and Evan Engram).
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 10:22 PM
Steve Martin, many years ago, once, went on Saturday night live, and said.
"If I had one wish, it would be for all the children of the world, to join hands, and sing, in the spirit of the holiday season."
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/06/22 10:35 PM
I mostly agree with what you said here but I'd like to add some color.

Your list start of "Coaches and GM getting a BIG, HEALTHY dose of HONEST self-reflection on everything they screwed up this year, and a large enough dose of humility to make the changes necessary to ACTUALLY be better, and not just keep talking about being better like an automaton stuck in a loop" needs to start with with hiring an Offensive Coordinator that will run an offense that highlights the skill sets of your players especially your QB. In today's game of specialization, you cannot expect your players to conform to your style of play if you expect to be successful. You have to build it to the skill set your specialists possess. You do not have to reinvent the wheel but build upon what you have by playing to your players strengths. Finally, and 100% without waiver, Stefanski must give up the play calling and manage the TEAM as he's supposed too!

Landry: I certainly don't expect him to rework his final year. I also wouldn't think he wants to stay after what they did to OBJ and the huge reduction over the last 2-years in the passing game. There's no upside for taking the cut and/or staying here if the Browns do not correct the scheme and start playing not only to Baker's skill set but the WR's as a whole. Landry might be the best the Browns currently have but the alienation of the WR group as a whole and lack of targets (25%-30% less than other teams) gives the Browns very little wiggle room with Landry or any FA without the immediate changes from the start list.

The 3 TE set needs to disappear except for special situations because it telegraphs your playset. Has proved unsuccessful and does more to hurt Chubb and Hunt than it helps. Plus, only 1 WR on the field the number of times they run that set is just plain BS.

I agree the TE group is an ineffective set. First let's talk about Hooper. The Browns clearly overpaid for Hooper but not unlike Baker, the Browns haven't come close to playing to his skill set. Look, like it or not, the Browns went out and signed a TE that averaged 93 targets a season the two previous seasons. The Browns then proceeded to cut his targets by 25% last year and and 34% this year from what he averaged in Atlanta. Call me stupid but I have a real hard time understanding why the Browns would go out and give a guy one of the highest contracts ever in the NFL for a TE and then cut his targets. This is the type of Head Coach the Browns have and it's just plain stupid to not play to your players skill set. Is Hooper a bust? I don't know but I do know that the Browns paid a whole hell of a lot of money for a receiving TE only to cut his targets dramatically. How smart was that move?

You and I will have to disagree on Njoku. Njoku got his 5th year option after catching 112 passes in 4-years. More importantly though, his reception production the last 2-years was 24 total catches. Think about that a moment, the Browns exercised the 5th year option on a guy that only caught 24 passes in 2-years to a 6-million dollar option after they already spent 40 million on Hooper. In return, the Browns got 34 receptions from Njoku or over $175,000 per catch. Njoku isn't worth a rookie 5th round pay at this point.

O-line, I agree with everything you said except I think they need to start looking for a replacement for Wills who should move inside. Wills graded out at 62nd out of 64 starting tackles this year. I know he was having ankle issues that contributed to his low rating but he wasn't in the top half last year either. The experiment isn't working and Baker's got the scars to prove it.

Clowney is a maybe because I'm not so sure he'll be asking for a respectable contract. I think he might price himself out of Cleveland.

FA:
WR Berrios NYJ - I know he's small but he has great speed and would be a slot receiver just like Edelman was for the Pats. I also think he'd add a little spark to the WR group and would be very affordable.
WR Williams LAC - He'll be expensive but he can take to top off defenses and at 6'4" he gives Baker a big target. I also think he would bite on being the #1 WR instead of playing under Keenan Allen. There's no way he comes here with the current scheme though so that has to be announced and changed right after the season ends if we hope to attract any quality WR.
OLB Riddick CAR - He would be a nice add the the LB corp and can rush from the edge.

Draft:
I'll only talk about our top pick and I think that should be WR J. Williams from Alabama. The retooling of the WR corp has to be a top priority and any 1st round pick has to be ready to go on day one. J. Williams is the fastest receiver in college football and would bring uncanny speed to the Browns WR group if they can add Berrios and Mike Williams. Adding J. Williams to a group including M. Williams and Berrios would ease the pressure of having to be the guy but all of this is mute if the Browns don't address the 30% less passing attempts we had compared to other top teams. Chubb will still get his yards but the Browns won't be predictable like they are now and have speed second to none in the NFL at WR.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/07/22 02:29 PM
Regarding the TEs.

Hooper is a pass-catching TE. He's NOT good at blocking (never was), and his method of racking up the stats he did in Atlanta was being really really in sync with Matt Ryan by spending a ton of practice time catching passes from him (plus the garbage time stat padding). I know I'm very much against him, but these two points came from an article that was posted on here when he signed with the Browns. IMO, what this offense needs from its 1st TE is one of those jack-of-all-trades TEs (run blocks well, can run simple routes well, and has good-great hands). Hooper blocks poorly, and has questionable hands. Bryant has a MUCH better chance of being that guy for us (his hands issues seem to be a thing from last year, and he was originally an offensive tackle in college which should mean he can block well). I thought Bryant's role for us shrunk this year, but he looked pretty good. Hooper's role was large and revealed a LOT of negative plays.

Njoku is an enigma to me (tbh, this is an upgrade on how I thought of him at this time last year). A guy like him (matchup nightmare at TE) should feast in this offense. I don't understand why he has pretty much never gone off this season. I think we've reached the end of the time period where we can talk about his potential, and have to just look at him for what he is, a really inconsistent player. Despite that, I have him above Hooper on my TE list.

My pie-in-the-sky wish for this offseason is to get Hooper off the roster, and retain Njoku. Neither of those things seem likely, though.
Posted By: MrKelso Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/07/22 03:25 PM
Steve0255 I would be tickled if we could land the three WR's you mentioned ....
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/07/22 10:59 PM
Might be Drunk, not a Browns fan, or don't know what they are talking about.
On anybody who wants to get rid of all of Hooper, Njoku, Tretter, and Higgins.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/08/22 01:43 PM
I would wish for Strength and Conditioning to figure out a magic bullet for preventing all of our injury issues.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/08/22 03:54 PM
If the Browns carry the NFL normal of 5-6 WR's and the Browns are seriously looking to upgrade the WR corp, there's not really a spot for Higgins. If Landry gets cut because he won't renegotiate (highly likely) then the FA market must be used to rebuild the group. Like I said in my wish list, over-paying for a guy like M. Williams from the LAC is a possibility with a new offensive coordinator and adjusted scheme. He'd walk in as the Browns #1 WR and would be a huge upgrade with speed and size. Then you go after the affordable Berrios to play in the slot. I know he's small but his over-achieving ability plus always on go mentality and speed would be like having a slot WR comparable to Eldeman when he played for the NEP except faster. Use the top draft pick on J. Williams from Alabama who's rated the fastest player in college this year and you're getting a new young receiving group with speed to burn.

That makes Peoples-Jones the #4 WR and Schwartz #5 (another player with speed to burn) going into his second year. Then it becomes a case of the Browns carrying 5 or 6 WR's and what they have to offer. Does that open the door for Higgins, Bradley, or a late round draft pick that fits the new WR mold? Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama is an option that provides size at the position and drafting a player with Tolbert's skill set and production profile in the late 3rd or early 4th at that point would be a steal. Given his size 6'3" and explosive ability, in college, Tolbert was moved all over the formation, lining up outside, inside, and often being sent motion. That versatility translates into comfortability with a wide variety of routes. Tolbert's positional flexibility should be attractive to many teams. Tolbert continually finds ways to get open, whether facing press, man, or zone coverage. His ability to make contested catches will help as he transitions to playing against NFL defensive backs. He was able to take the top off of defenses at the college level but will likely use that explosiveness to dominate the middle of the field at the NFL level making himself a big target for his QB.

After 6-years and only 137 receptions, you have to ask yourself if the investment in Higgins is warranted going forward. Bradley could also be questioned on his growth these first 2-years so do we start over or continue down the same path hoping for improvement from players that haven't taken that step yet?
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/09/22 03:26 AM
Back up tackles, who actually played tackle at a high level. No more project lineman. WRs that are big and fast. No more of these short 160 lb ones. A stud TE to replace slow as molasses Hooper and his questionable hands. Another BIG fast LB to play with JOK and Phillips. An offensive scheme that actually spreads the defense out, instead of bunching them all around the LOS. A frigging kicker who is dependable.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 04:32 PM
j/c...

Apparently we need to wish for team chemistry...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 04:39 PM
Add yoga instructor to the wish list....

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 05:34 PM
I'd love to know more about "relationship with the training staff could be a lot better". That's a red flag, to me.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 06:27 PM
IMO given the "current state of the team."

I believe our best chance to win the North next year is to focus on the defense. That of course does not mean forget the offense.

Unless something happens Baker is our quarterback and that will play out however it does. There is no magic wand there.

We have good talent on defense now. Myles, Ward, Newsome, JOK, Greedy, Delpit, McDowell, JJ, Hill, Phillips.

We have others like Walker, Stewart, Taki that are good enough.

We need to bring Clowney back for sure. If Takk is healthy I would bring him back as well.

I would look to improve at any position on defense because you need depth for injury. Pass rush is king. A dominate defense is based upon pressure.

McDowell flashes ability at tackle. But we need to bring pressure in waves of people.

I love our corners. Ward, Newsome, and Greedy are all really good. Hill is ok. Are safety's are good. Delpit started to play better. Harrison is inconsistent.
JJ is a good player.

In the games that Phillips played he looked good. IMO JOK will be one of the best players in football.

We have talent on defense. They need to play better as unit. I think they are getting close. But if we can add more pass rushers from inside or outside we should do it.

When you can consistently play good defense and hold teams to 17 points or less. You can win many games. You are not as dependent upon great offensive play.

Right now I will not say who to sign as free agents because that is not all within our control. FA can do as they please.

To early in the draft for me to have an opinion on players I like.

Obviously we have great RB's. Also obviously we have to upgrade the receiver unit as a whole. And we need tackle depth. I sure hope that Conklin can return fully healthy. We need him big time.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

That might get Deshaun Watson here.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 07:43 PM

We've got to be missing some context here....

The thought that my Brownies don't have access to yoga is almost infuriating. A bunch of old-farts on here have been suggesting yoga and it's not fully available to them?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober

We've got to be missing some context here....

The thought that my Brownies don't have access to yoga is almost infuriating. A bunch of old-farts on here have been suggesting yoga and it's not fully available to them?
So we have 5 strength and conditioning people and 6 research and analytics people on payroll but we draw the line at a yoga instructor?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 08:47 PM
I'm a old guy.

I don't attend any yoga classes. But I have been doing 5 yoga back poses for over forty years.

At 74 I can be sitting, legs flat stretched out in front of me. I can hold my ankles with my forehead touching my knees and hold that pose for one minute.

Bring my legs straight over my head to the floor behind me, legs straight, and touch the floor with my toes. Hold that pose for one minute.

You will not pull muscles so easily if you are flexible.

Lifting bunches your muscles it does not stretch them.

I hear all these hamstrings pulls, etc. I would think yoga would help.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 08:53 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 11:21 PM
That's a weak answer from Stefanski. You simply put an instructor on payroll and add them to the same testing that the rest of the coaching staff undergoes. Done.

Also, it's the year 2022.... they could have a virtual instructor run classes if it was REALLY that big of a deal (it's not, they could make it happen without a hitch).
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 11:28 PM
They could also take it upon themselves and do it alone.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/10/22 11:50 PM
j/c...

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:11 AM
They all say that unil a better offer comes.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:17 AM
j/c...

I hope he stays. Is it realistic? I have a feeling he might light it up elsewhere.

What about the Hooper money?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:34 AM
Offseason wish list. Interview Dolphins former HC Brian Flores on 3 things,
1. new ideas on how to play defense
2. new ideas on how to beat the ravens
3. how to add him to the Browns coaching staff as an add on that doesn't displace anything or anybody already in place.

exec. VP of game day adjustment consultation.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:48 AM
Yes Njoku makes some of those great catches, but at the same time he drops the easiest ones. It's almost like the first thought when he sees the ball coming it, "Will this catch make the highlight reel?", and if it won't then effort drops to 40%.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:54 AM
I agree with 100% of your post.

The man is a physical beast. He's improved. But he still has 'WTF' moments - good and bad.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 11:57 AM
I have been on/off with Njoku since he was drafted.

At first he was all sizzle no steak. Athletic freak could not catch.

Then he could not block to save his life.

He has worked hard to become a good all around player and he is still young. I would sign him for sure.

Hooper i would try and trade asap.

Harrison Bryant is a guy who can catch and is developing. Hooper is holding the TE production back.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:37 PM
In 2022, Hooper will earn a base salary of $9,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,250,000 and a dead cap value of $11,250,000. With these numbers, parting with Hooper would be cause for a major cap hit. Njoku was paid 6 million on his 5th year option. Though possible, I don't expect that Njoku is going to take a team discount to remain with the Browns considering the Browns are currently taking a $13,250,000 cap hit for Hooper. If you believe that Hooper's contract is bad and he's not living up to that fee (even though the Browns are not playing to his skill set and he came to the Browns with a history that warranted a big deal), it would hard to explain the thought process on giving Njoku a raise and long-term deal for his history of poor production, 148 catches and 1,754 yards over the last 5-years. I am pretty certain the Browns cannot and will not pay over 20 million per season for the TE position that's used mainly for blocking in Stefanski's scheme not withstanding the failure to play to their skill sets.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 12:59 PM
I agree.

If we want production out of Hooper, or anyone else for that matter, we have to feed them the ball.

I think we have to understand that TE numbers on this team are going to be diluted because we play 3 of them a high percentage of the time while other teams play 1 a high percentage of the time.

If you took any 1 of our TE's and "gave" them, say 85% of the other TE's production numbers, we would probably have 1 decent TE.

I just don't feel like going through the numbers.
Posted By: eotab Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 01:23 PM
I would like to see the Browns acquire a beast of a TE we want to use multiple TEs in our schemes - lets get a beast in there. So far we got 3 OK to Good TEs but I see no beasts and tiny hands Bryant having the sure hands in the group...to many drops by Hooper and Njoku. Make it a nightmare for D's to stop the run with our 3 TE 1 WR Offense - run Chubb, Hunt or Dernest then UNLEASH THE BEAST.

I would like also a legit RT to be on the team. Conklin is good when Healthy problem is he has not been Healthy much - Get a Yute in there to match Wills

On D - resign Clowney and get a beast at DT - I see many Mocks having us take Leal at DT but quite frankly I prefer Jordan Davis. That kid could be something special with Garrett and Clowney on the DL

we seem to be OK at LB and our DBs - JOK is a good Leader and wed got Ward, Newsome at CB with Hill, Greedy, Green and our safties all seem to be the makings of an amazing D when Healthy.
Shore up the depth on the DL - time for Elliiot to step up.

We can use a young booming punter there are many in college this year. Lets make punting a weapon!

jmho outside of good health we don't "NEED" much but I'm telling you all, in this O that Ski runs a stud TE is a must no just OK....2 out of the 3 OK is acceptable but that 3rd must be a BEAST!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 01:32 PM
What do we think the market for Njoku is actually going to be? If we let him go, it's not like he's going to go unsigned... but the dude has never 'lit it up' like he was supposed to since day 1. What's his competition on the TE market this off-season?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 01:35 PM
I find it interesting how honest JJ3 seems to be about our shortcomings. That’s probably a good thing granted he is correct and the constructive criticism is taken to heart.

I don’t see how a yoga person would be a big deal, even with covid.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 02:05 PM
For all I know, they have someone available, but not available enough for JJ3. I'm trying not to pull a mac here, but it's hard when people on here have been saying "they should really implement yoga", and I myself have, as I've gotten older, very easily added yoga to my routine to help stay healthy playing beer league hockey, and then you have one of your starters saying that it'd be great to have a yoga person (on top of saying they needed to have a better relationship with the strength staff).

add:
https://sportsnaut.com/xx-pro-athletes-teams-that-practice-yoga/

The Seattle Seahawks have a mandatory yoga practice. This article was written April 2021.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 02:12 PM
The Hooper deal is poison financially so he has to be traded.

That is the only way out. If they could get a swing tackle for him. That would be a good thing.

Jarvis is the guy I struggle with. I really like him. But you can not justify his money. He has to take less or be gone.

He will be thirty. He is limited in what he can do. He is not a number one receiver. He could have a role but I am not sure how that will play out.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 02:22 PM
don't forget that the Cap really blooms upward this year with the new TV deal kicking in. Under it, those bigger contracts aren't so big any longer. Landry's money is suddenly a much smaller piece of the pie, and when you view how much is available to the WR group when you keep ratios/percentages equal, there is a ton of room to keep him and bring in more talent.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 04:07 PM
The Browns can get some WR's but they will not attract top talent if they continue using the same predictable scheme with Stefanski calling the plays. If you're going to scheme a run first offense with 3-TE sets and have a pass attack throwing 200 times fewer than the top 10 teams then you absolutely will have serious trouble drawing quality WR's through FA. Add to that fact Hooper will be a very hard trade because of his contract and the lack of use the last two years and you have a disgruntled weak receiving group with no true #1 WR.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 04:15 PM
The receiver room is big question mark to me.

I think we have seen what DPJ is. At best a number two receiver.

Schwartz is a disappointment. His speed is usleless. He avoids contact. He does not win 50/50 balls. He has a rookie deal so he is cheap. If he does not show a significant improvement in camp. I would cut him.

Jarvis is a pro. He knows how to play. If we can make a deal that makes sense I would keep him. If not I would release him.

Higgins is gone.

The cupboard is bare. We need help. At least two free agents. And most likely two in the draft to develop. If there is a total stud at 13 that you are sure about. I might draft one there. But I more interested in a pass rusher at 13; no matter if Clowney signs or not.

Clowney will have to be offered a fair market deal or he will leave. I think he wants to play in warm weather.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 04:40 PM
I don't know about giving Hooper more targets. Even though his targets are down from before he was in CLE, and not near the number of targets that top-tier TEs get, since we signed him he has more drops than any other NFL TE. And despite having more targets than Njoku this year, Njoku has 130 yards more than Hooper, and one more touchdown. If Hooper was all that, IMO he would make more of the targets he does get. He needs to do more with the opportunities he does get. This season the only thing he has in common with top-tier TEs is salary. He catches like his hand are encased in concrete, and he runs like his feet are encased in concrete. He is one of the worst FA signings we've had since the return. I read where cutting him saves us 9.5M on the cap. I think it would be worth it. It's not hard to replace what little production he gives us.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 04:50 PM
IMO Hooper takes targets away from Njoku.

Njoku will be worth signing. He will not get a huge deal. So he will be affordable.

He wants to be here and he has played hard.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 04:56 PM
Berry in.GM speak said basically Landry isnt coming back
His friend OBJ was released mid season. I think at that point
You can close the book on Landry coming back.
Landry doesnt want to be any longer. Dont be surprised if he is
OBJs team mate somewhere on friendly deals.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 06:16 PM
Dead cap money is 11.25 million if Hooper is cut. As far as Njoku goes, whether you like him or not, he played on a 6.0 million dollar deal in 2021 and to think that he would sign for less at age 26 with what may be his final contract is very wishful thinking. He will test the market for sure unless the Browns offer more than 6 million and if they do it would a very bad deal for what he's produced.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 06:24 PM
I don't know about that. Landry came here with out "his friend" being on the team. I have no clue what you are talking about that Berry said in "GM speak" that would cause you to think Landry isn't coming back.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Dead cap money is 11.25 million if Hooper is cut.

The Browns can spread the dead cap space a bit with Hooper. A post 6-1 release or trade and Hooper would have a dead cap of $3.75M in 2022 and dead cap of $7.5M in 2023. The new TV deals begin in 2023 and that's when the salary cap will skyrocket so there is that option should the Browns really want to move on.

Having said that, the Browns will likely stick with Hooper one more season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/austin-hooper-19035/
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't know about that. Landry came here with out "his friend" being on the team. I have no clue what you are talking about that Berry said in "GM speak" that would cause you to think Landry isn't coming back.

Berry had another press conference where he says next to nothing. Landry may or may not be back.

Here is what Berry said about Landry...

Posted By: jfanent Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/11/22 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Berry in.GM speak said basically Landry isnt coming back
His friend OBJ was released mid season. I think at that point
You can close the book on Landry coming back.
Landry doesnt want to be any longer. Dont be surprised if he is
OBJs team mate somewhere on friendly deals.

They might be friends, but I don't think being on the same team was such a positive experience for either of them. Berry gave no hint as to whether Jarvis would be back or not, unless you're deciphering some code that most others aren't picking up on.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 04:49 AM
j/c...

Sure players say these things before exit interviews... He knows no other team will pay him or want him...

He's okay, playing better then his first 4 years..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 11:22 AM
Folks, we won't miss a dag gum thing if Njoku leaves. Harrison Bryant is out best TE.

If we want a star TE, feed Bryant the way the Ravens feed Andrews and we will get similar numbers. Andrews had 107 receptions on 157 targets. Bryant had 28 targets and 21 receptions...1 drop.

Going back to something I mentioned earlier....the Browns TE's had 95 receptions on 140 targets. I am just counting the top 3 guys who play the position.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 12:02 PM
Andrews excels in catching balls in traffic, contested throws, etc. Bryant does not. Bryant shows reliable hands (other than onside kicks) when he is wide open, and this season that is about the only time we threw to him. He does not have the physicality to a primary tight end. I cannot see him being anything more than a situational TE.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 12:15 PM
I am not sure how you arrive at that conclusion? My feeling is 21 catches on 28 targets, 1 drop supports my thinking at least a bit more.

But, it is all speculation.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 01:38 PM
I'm a big Bryant fan myself. I think his head was swimming his first season, and he came back this season and did a lot of good things. I think he's the type of TE we need more of (solid if unspectacular but overall effective). He's not Njoku, though. Njoku is a matchup nightmare and a physical monster. Njoku (especially with his upgraded blocking) should be a yards monster and a headache for DCs, but he's not for whatever reason (separate conversation). I'd love for Bryant to step into Hooper's spot of running those easy short routes with precision and getting easy yards when the chunk plays aren't there.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
He knows no other team will pay him or want him...

To say another team won't "pay him what he wants" may be true. Otherwise you are wrong.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 03:28 PM
Take a look at Bryant's blocking ability.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I am not sure how you arrive at that conclusion? My feeling is 21 catches on 28 targets, 1 drop supports my thinking at least a bit more.

But, it is all speculation.

I am not saying he doesn't deserve more opportunities. I just don't see him filling the role of a 100-target player. His rookie season he was unable to catch a contested ball. This year, I don't remember us even trying to throw one to him. He was pretty reliable with the opportunities he got, but those were all with him pretty open. Props to catching most of them. But he is not going to get Andrews-level targets if he cannot catch in traffic.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 06:51 PM
I tried to do a quick look, and I'm not seeing consistency in his rankings (one article has him at or near abysmal, and the other has him as best of the bunch).

For myself, I didn't see his blocking jump off the screen either way while I saw a few whiffs by Hooper (translation: my eyes didn't see anything to complain about, but take it for what it's worth).
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 07:39 PM
Don't know that my OLD eye's are any better than yours , but he needs a lot of work in that department .
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 08:11 PM
Dead cap money is 11.25 million if Hooper is cut. As far as Njoku goes, whether you like him or not, he played on a 6.0 million dollar deal in 2021 and to think that he would sign for less at age 26 with what may be his final contract is very wishful thinking. He will test the market for sure unless the Browns offer more than 6 million and if they do it would a very bad deal for what he's produced.

A pre-June 1st release still nets a $2 million cap savings for 2022, despite having the $11 million in dead money. A post-June 1st release allows that to increase to over $9 million.
Moving on from Hooper and that contract is very feasible.
Posted By: Dave Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 08:54 PM
I know none of our TEs are named Andrews, Kelce, or Kittle but outside of one 71 yard catch-and-run by Njoku, our TEs all act like they've been tased once they catch the ball. Hooper especially goes all jelly-legged after a catch. I do like Njoku as a target in the red zone, and he's young enough with enough upside to warrant keeping around, IMO.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/12/22 09:03 PM
Just say noooo. Sign a FA from 49'ers, Vikings, etc. (Tyler Conklin, Ross Dwelley)

Draft Brock Bowers from GA in 2023.
Posted By: bugs Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 01:03 AM
Bryant and Hooper are used between the 20s. Njoku is your red zone guy. In my opinion, you play 12-personnel (1-RB; 2-TE) with two speed-receivers.

With that said, I was hoping Schwartz showed more this season. I still think all Cleveland needs is another Schwartz-like receiver to complement. Get one in FA and one in the draft. Once Cleveland lost OBJ they lost their deep threat. DPJ wasn't enough to demand attention.

Use the TEs as the possession receivers. DPJ is enough speed but Berry needs to keep adding more.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh have run average-type receivers with a strong TE for decades usually a speed-receiver with a possession receiver.

As fans, I think we overcomplicate things. When in reality, Cleveland simply needs to have enough playmakers to overwhelm the defense and overcome injuries.
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 01:20 AM
going to be interesting
If karlatis drops to us we could have a dl that has Clowney,Myles,McDowell ,and karlatis this would give you the runaway sack champion of the nfl.
You bring up excellent points but I would prefer to take chances on some injured 1 receiver like Godwin and Gallup.
there is a excellent chance that Justyn Ross,Mechi,or or Williams drops to us then take them.
this guaranteees are offensive line gets attention plus defensive line plus when they are healthy a top 15 WR set.
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 02:20 AM
to be honest if they cut Landry so Haslem leads in money not spent this team is headed to last place no matter who they draft.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 02:59 AM
For one Stefanski needs to dissolve the 13-personel 3 TE offense. But I think he favors
That kind of offense to.hide Mayfields shortcomings as a QB .
That particular offense is low risk high completion type offense.
It's not designed to stretch the field vertically by any means
It's more for horizontal routes like drags, whip routes , sit down routes.
And some are saying they want the Browns to take a playmaking matchup nightmare
For a TE in the draft.
Well if you run 3-TEs as your base offense then that TE that some are desiring will have
His targets diluted due to the nature of the offense
The Ravens dont run 13- as a base offense. Neither do the Chiefs or 49ers

Its funny how some say they are disappointed in the WRs.
Well look.at their resumes.
Peoples Jones was average at Michigan. Guess what he is average at the NFL level
Takes him forever to reach top end speed
Anthony Schwartz was a reach. He sucked at Auburn
He knows one route. The smoke route.
How many great WRs has Auburn ever produced?
Maybe Andrew Berry should draft a WR from a school that has a track record of
Producing top flight NFL WRs.
Let Landry walk. Good downfield blocker but a meh WR. Not exactly a end zone threat ever.

The Browns need a serious difference maker at WR. Ask the Chiefs or Bengals or Cowboys
What having stud WRs equates too.

RT is spot that has to be addressed. Conklin is slowly falling apart
Move Willis to RT and find a LT long term
Posted By: bugs Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
going to be interesting
If karlatis drops to us we could have a dl that has Clowney,Myles,McDowell ,and karlatis this would give you the runaway sack champion of the nfl.
You bring up excellent points but I would prefer to take chances on some injured 1 receiver like Godwin and Gallup.
there is a excellent chance that Justyn Ross,Mechi,or or Williams drops to us then take them.
this guaranteees are offensive line gets attention plus defensive line plus when they are healthy a top 15 WR set.

My thought is Kyle Hamilton falls to us. Otherwise, I agree Karlaftis would be a nice grab. Nakobe Dean is another I like to see. Can the Browns get lucky again having another JOK fall to the second round?

Cleveland's defense needs run-stopping DTs. Hopefully, we can get one in the middle rounds. Our DTs were a little light in the pants. Teams had success running up the middle.

Many will say WR with the 13th pick, but in my opinion, the receivers in this draft are nothing close to Chase. Wide receivers are hit and miss. It is rare a receiver with Chase-like qualities becomes available. I think they are better off taking a chance in the second or third round. I am not saying these receivers are bad just simply skeptical. I agree with you does Jameson Wilson fall to the second round as Chubb did?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 02:36 PM
I was expecting McDowell to lose steam as the season went on. Dude came in (arguably) even worse off than most rookies in terms of being able to handle the rigors of an NFL season. He showed he can hang with the big boys; and based on that alone last season was a huge success for him. Now he's gotta start rounding out his conditioning and improving his body.

Jackson is an aging vet. Solid if unspectacular. These unheralded signings don't get the love they deserve.

Our Dline started the year as run-stopping beasts and slowly weakened in that area. I think we'll be fine so long as we can mostly keep the gang together.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 04:09 PM
Both McDowell and Jackson ranked as practice squad players for the season for PFF.. I would be surprised if either is back.. DT is our weakest area by far, next is LB. I'd love to upgrade both in offseason

Sheldon Day (64.7): Graded 59.1 against the run over 233 snaps and seven games.

Malik McDowell (47.0): Was fifth with 24 pressures and graded 43.1 against the run.

Malik Jackson (44.4): Was third with 26 pressures and graded 43.6 against the run

Jordan Elliott (42.2): Was third among interior defenders in snaps and graded 45.9 against the run.

Tommy Togiai (40.8): Had 125 snaps and the lowest defensive grade among those with at least 10 snaps.

100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 04:38 PM
I agree with others that McDowell shows promise even if the grade isn't great. I agree that all of the others could or should go. None of them show much promise.

That is why I would be good with a DT as our 1st selection. Leal should be a stud that we probably shouldn't pass if given the chance. All good D lines have at least 1 good DT.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/13/22 04:43 PM
Mcdowell made alot of bone-head plays.. I think he could stay as a rotation guy, but def. shouldnt be a starter yet. He's def. got physical tools
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 01:10 AM
He's been out of football for what... four years or something?
He did pretty damn alright, I think.

Malik Jackson was a larger end signing. Malik McDowell performed almost exactly the same for a whole lot less.
He definitely needs to stay. Whether he starts or not gets decided next summer.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 05:49 AM
problem is, neither one of them played well.. just because he played just as good as the expensive guy doesn't mean he's good.. sorry but those scores are really bad...and thats not marginal at all, its convincingly bad. I don't believe for a second either one will start next year.. if they do, something totally went wrong this offseason. I knew both Jackson and Walker were going to be bad, we can't afford bad FA signing this year, Richardson should have remained on the team. I bet Clowney and Garrett would each have had a couple more sacks
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by bugs
going to be interesting

My thought is Kyle Hamilton falls to us. Otherwise, I agree Karlaftis would be a nice grab. Nakobe Dean is another I like to see. Can the Browns get lucky again having another JOK fall to the second round?

Cleveland's defense needs run-stopping DTs. Hopefully, we can get one in the middle rounds. Our DTs were a little light in the pants. Teams had success running up the middle.

Many will say WR with the 13th pick, but in my opinion, the receivers in this draft are nothing close to Chase. Wide receivers are hit and miss. It is rare a receiver with Chase-like qualities becomes available. I think they are better off taking a chance in the second or third round. I am not saying these receivers are bad just simply skeptical. I agree with you does Jameson Wilson fall to the second round as Chubb did?

Have you checked out USC receiver Drake London? I am not saying he is Jamar Chase but he could be a better version of Chase Claypool. Drake is an inch taller and will see at the combine but is suppose to be faster. Not much is hyped about him because he broke his ankle early in 2021 season. He was USC offense and when he went down so did they. Had he played I believe he would be the top WR in this years draft without question.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 01:51 PM
Those rankings are an average over the year. McDowell was making splash plays early in the year. He's essentially a rookie and should be treated at least as such (if not more leniently). There's plenty there to not only retain but also be optimistic for his future. Malik Jackson was simply plugging a hole. I'm not going to go into the Richardson situation. We're coming up on a full year from when he left and it's been beat to death. Nobody bats 1.000
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 02:03 PM
j/c

A Robinson or M Williams

Berrios

Perriman (yes...Perriman)

1st Rd WR
------------------------
@ TE

Ertz (I wish)
Gesicki
C.J Uzomah (I wish)
Hayden Hurst/OJ Howard/Tyler Kroft/Jared Cook
-------------------------------------------------
LT - Eric Fisher (move Wills to RT) Dreaming
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 02:08 PM
I agree about McDowell. I think he has a high ceiling. Just saying he's not ready to be a starter on a team that has playoff/championship aspirations. Lets see how he does next year with a new position coach. Jackson was plugging a hole yes, one that was created unnecessarily. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze there. But yeah its been beat to death. Same with Walker, wasn't a good signing, and noone bats 1.000 but Berry missed quite a bit with FA. But he's def. done good things and I think he'll fix the middle of the defense this offseason. Both the starting DT's this year are FA now. So that will be interesting to see what we do
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 02:22 PM
I think the Gustin fail was the real root of the issue here. He was brought in with the sole purpose of helping run defense and he failed miserably. I think we were counting on him when he was coming back from COVID opt-out.

I'm not saying Jackson was this world-beater. I'm just saying you're going to have guys like that come in and play significant volumes always. We could've done better, sure... but we also could've done worse.

I'm a little more inclined to agree with you on Walker. My feeling (emphasis on 'feeling') is that Walker was a bit more of a targeted signing.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/14/22 02:27 PM
I really like McDowell...and not just for the comeback story. If he works on his conditioning this off-season and shakes off the rest of the rust, I think he will be a beast. NFL weight training and conditioning this off-season after years out of the game? Look out.

I think what he accomplished this year was remarkable.

Walker? My goodness. Malcom Smith was better. Rely on Philips and bring back Smith.
Posted By: bugs Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/15/22 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
Originally Posted by bugs
going to be interesting

Have you checked out USC receiver Drake London? I am not saying he is Jamar Chase but he could be a better version of Chase Claypool. Drake is an inch taller and will see at the combine but is suppose to be faster. Not much is hyped about him because he broke his ankle early in 2021 season. He was USC offense and when he went down so did they. Had he played I believe he would be the top WR in this years draft without question.

Understand. But, adding Kyle Hamilton gives Cleveland the best chance at having the best defensive backfield in the league having three first-rounders.

People will want to understand safeties and tight-ends are not nearly as expensive as corners and receivers. Having a plethora of top-of-the-league safties allows you to reduce your cost at corners. That means you specialize more in outside corners. It's the same as having top-end-tight-ends. You specialize in having receivers being great at either go-route or possession.

I think a lot of fans chase the big money players and do not look at all options. Having the best receiver, quarterback, pass rusher, and shut-down corner is all good. Paying for all that talent weighs heavily against the cap.

I can go on, but you can build a team in several different ways. Following the herd means you are just as good. Thinking outside the box makes you unique.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/15/22 05:27 AM
hillarously sad
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/15/22 12:59 PM
Much depends on your starting point.

For the Browns as the team stands today.

The quickest way to the end goal is defense.

If we can field a defense that can consistently hold teams to 17 points and under. We can win many games.

On offense we can add free agent receivers that with our run game will be good enough.

We have good players on defense a few more and we could be really good.

Pass rushers are a premium.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/15/22 01:18 PM
I would think we're going to take BPA at #13 at either WR, DL or LB. Of course, that would depend on whom we'll sign in FA and who we may lose. If we can sign a couple of good WR's in FA then we may look to the D. Alot of speculation between now and then.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/15/22 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
Much depends on your starting point.

For the Browns as the team stands today.

The quickest way to the end goal is defense.

If we can field a defense that can consistently hold teams to 17 points and under. We can win many games.

On offense we can add free agent receivers that with our run game will be good enough.

We have good players on defense a few more and we could be really good.

Pass rushers are a premium.

I agree. I think that will continue to be the focus.

We had problems on O this year, but didn't have nearly the problems the previous year. My guess is Berry and crew will be betting that the O will be able to return to a good level. Yes, we need receivers, but I think we will probably go the FA route. Give baker some veteran receivers who can help now over someone to develop. I am also not convinced a stud reciver like Chase will have a major turn around impact on this team for many reason that have been mentioned.

IMO we need to stud out the D as much as we can and hope the O returns to 2020 form. Nothing much has changed on the O, so it seems to me there is a good chance that can happen.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 01:08 PM
Hard to say how Berry will handle this.

This is not so much a wish list but a necessity list.

Conklin was seriously injured. He signed a three year deal and would be in his third year. He may not fully recover and he has been injured a lot.

RT is super important for the Browns. Wills has talent but he struggled. He played RT in college. I am just saying.
Berry could draft a LT or RT. He may consider moving Wills to RT and drafting a LT or draft a RT.

Clowney. He is a very disruptive player. We need him. He will go where he gets the best deal and or where he likes the weather. To retain him Berry may have to offer the best deal. We will get no hometown discount. However, pass rusher is a premium need position. It will be addressed in some way.

Receiver. An obvious need. Assumption is Higgins is gone. Landry would have to accept less or he will be gone. In fact he may be gone period.

Free agency is an option but some of the top guys listed will be coming off injury. Allen Robinson might be the best option. Also, maybe a lesser name like Christian Kirk could play slot depending on what happens with Landry.
I suspect we will draft a receiver. The question is what round?

Those three positions will have to be addressed.

Of course the quarterback position will have to be looked at. Berry has stated he expects Baker to return. I assume he plans for Baker to be the starter. If that is so and they do not draft a quarterback. What will Berry do with the backup? I don't know. He may be fine with Keenum. He may want to bring in a guy like Trubisky or Mariota.

He may swing for the fence with Watson or Wilson. I doubt that but it is possible.

Those are the bigest questions regarding the most serious needs. There are others positions like DT or LB but the Browns place less emphasis on those positions.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 04:40 PM
I 100% agree with the elimination of the 13-personel 3 TE offense. I can't say a agree with why it's been used because I think it's Stefanski's way to enhance his run scheme but that's another discussion. The main problem with the 3-TE set is you allow the defense to adjust their defense to a run defense scheme because you've just shortened the field due to no deep threat. It also frees up LB responsibility because the corners and safety can match up with the TE's man-to-man due to the shortened field. That puts 6-8 in the box to stop the run and simplifies blitz packages for the defense. Unfortunately, and clearly magnified, Stefanski is one of the worst Head Coaches I've ever witnessed in making real game adjustments.

Like I've stated before, upgrade at WR is a necessity but unless the scheme changes, no WR worth consideration of being a #1 WR is ever going to consider coming to Cleveland with a scheme that has the Browns throwing 200 plus less passes than the top tier teams and to be sidelined at nearly 50% of the snaps while Stefanski is running his 2 and 3 TE sets. In addition, whether people want to hear it or not, the Browns went out and signed an All-Pro TE in Hooper that came to the Browns with 2-years of almost a 100 targets each after 3-years of sub-par play by Njoku. In his 1st year the Browns cut his targets by 28% and 37% his second year and the fans are bitching that he was a poor FA sign? What the hell do you think is going to happen if the Browns somehow sign a Chris Godwin who's averaged 107 targets over the last 4-years with a 77-catch average and 1,030 yards by 37%? Do you really believe that a Godwin is going to consider the Cleveland Browns to go from 107 targets to 67 targets (a 37% reduction). In pass attempts alone for the team, Brady made 719 attempts compared to Mayfield's 418. That's freaking 301 more opportunities for Godwin to be targeted in Tampa rather than Cleveland. Think about that - even if the Browns pay 1.5 times the going rate - how dedicated will Godwin be to the team and what level of effort would the Browns get with a 37% reduction in targets to it's over payed WR?

If you're going to go out and get these type of players then you need to play to their skill set. That goes for any FA WR under consideration, Hooper, and most certainly Mayfield. If you're hell bent on not doing that then save your money because it will never work out. We're seeing it first-hand with Mayfield and Hooper, seen it with OBJ and Stefanski had the same issue with Diggs and Rudolph (Rudolph had his targets cut by 41% from the previous year when Stefanski took over OC duties in MIN) by cutting their targets. This is not a one off, it's a trend and a very poor trend if you're a head coach looking for playmakers.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 05:19 PM
I would like to add that Hooper has to go.

No way I keep him. His contract is bad and it will hurt. I would try hard to trade him.

I would resign Njoku. He wants to stay and I think he will ask for a fair deal.

I give Njoku credit. He has matured as a player and person. He has worked hard to become a good blocker. Dude has added big time to his frame.

He is still young and his best years as a complete player are in front of him.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 05:36 PM
Was it all Stefanski in Minnesota and not him running the type of offense Zinmmer wanted? Did OBJ want out because of Stefanski or because Baker couldn't get him the ball?

The Browns averaged 5.8 yards per carry out of 1-3 personnel on 105 rush attempts and rushed for 4 touchdowns. The Browns had at least two WRs on the field 76.6% of their plays. The Browns also ran the fewest total amount of offensive plays of any team in the league.

The scheme will not keep a WR from the signing in FA, money offered will and possibly the QB play. Players want to get paid. We'll see what happens in FA.

A snippet from The Athletic on Zimmer's tenure as Vikings coach...

The interview process that led to DeFilippo was one Zimmer grew to regret. He didn’t fully realize, despite the interview, that DeFilippo was going to run a shotgun, pass-heavy offense that was so contrary to what had led to Cousins’ previous success in Washington. Zimmer grew furious with the game plan and fumed after a loss in New England about how frequently they threw against light boxes, telling one coach they could’ve rushed for 200 yards that night. Instead, they finished with 95 rushing yards and only 10 points.

He fired DeFilippo a week later and hired Stefanski to overhaul the offense and transform it into a zone-rushing scheme relying on Cousins under center and using play action. The change flummoxed some on offense who didn’t understand why Zimmer maintained so much say in the scheme despite being frequently absent from offensive meetings. Zimmer dictated how the Vikings offense would look, seeking balance and an emphasis on the run game, but didn’t help with the offensive game planning. His desire for balance between the run and the pass left some players confused in a league that’s shifting more toward passing. It ultimately contributed to wide receiver Stefon Diggs demanding a trade.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 05:53 PM
I just have a question about Hooper. Who on God's green earth do you think would take on Hooper's contract in a trade? A team has to agree to take on the contract he's signed to in order to have him on their team. Now maybe he would be willing to renegotiate his contract in order to facilitate a trade. But if he would renegotiate his contract somewhere else, he may be willing to renegotiate it here.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 06:01 PM
The Browns also ran the fewest total amount of offensive plays of any team in the league.

Where did you get this from? I'm not saying you're wrong but that's certainly not what I found.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html

This source says there were 12 other teams with fewer offensive plays than us.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 06:03 PM
And this is whyI've stated that my hope that we move on from Hooper is just that. In order to trade him we'd have to sweeten the deal with draft capital, which I wouldn't want us to do. And as much as I loathed his play out there, it does make more sense to keep him and hope he bounces back vs cutting him. I think we should pay Njoku and give him Hooper's snaps/looks.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 06:04 PM
I would like to add that Hooper has to go.

No way I keep him. His contract is bad and it will hurt. I would try hard to trade him.

I would resign Njoku. He wants to stay and I think he will ask for a fair deal.

I give Njoku credit. He has matured as a player and person. He has worked hard to become a good blocker. Dude has added big time to his frame.

He is still young and his best years as a complete player are in front of him.

I agree. But I suspect we go into next season with:

1-Hooper
2-Bryant
3-Draft Pick
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 06:13 PM
That would be extremely disappointing, and that's coming from someone that still has high hopes for Bryant.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 06:54 PM
The Browns also ran the fewest total amount of offensive plays of any team in the league.

Where did you get this from? I'm not saying you're wrong but that's certainly not what I found.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html

This source says there were 12 other teams with fewer offensive plays than us.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.c...nsive-personnel-grouping-frequency-2021/

Interesting.

Maybe the data is off?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 07:16 PM
Nobody.

It is a problem and the Browns would have to swallow some of his salary.

But he has to go. He is actually holding back Harrison and Njoku.

They can not keep him.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 07:16 PM
Certainly one of the two has to be.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 09:12 PM
Andrew Berry this off season will be earning his keep.

There are numerous tough decisions to be made.

The 2022 roster will have close to 17 new players. That is about average for every team.

Clowney, McKinley, Walker, Hubbard, M. Jackson, Njoku, Higgins, MJ Stewart, M Smith, Colquitt, Harrison are all UFA's.

Nine RFA's.

We have are own picks in rounds 1-6.
We swapped 7th round picks with Detroit, and we have the Lions 4th round pick.

That is 28 guys in total. Of course some we will keep.

Plus the return of Conklin is a question mark.

There are other players under contract like Hooper, Keenum, Landry that some decision willl need to be made.

Add a kicker as well. Who knows about the coaching staff?

No matter how you look at our roster there are tough decisions to be made.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 09:35 PM
On the surface according to your post it appears to be Zimmer. However, if you look deeper, Stefanski brought an enhanced version of what he implemented in Minnesota to Cleveland so he shoulders equal or more of the blame. Second and more importantly, Zimmer just got his walking papers and I suspect the same for Stefanski next season if he doesn''t make some drastic adjustments. In 2020, Stefanski caught the league off guard with his run first scheme. In 2021, teams planned to stop the scheme and they did and did it well. Stefanski is horrible at making adjustments and passing 200 plus less times a season is a problem. Don't misunderstand me, the Browns have a great running game and it should be a focus. However, when your scheme doesn't play to the skill set of your personnel you are planning to fail because you become one dimensional. Mayfield needs a dedicated QB coach to work on mechanics and decision making but more importantly Baker needs to be the Baker the Browns drafted. Hooper is a proven commodity that the Browns have basically shelfed due to their scheme. Come on, the guy was a 2-time pro bowler getting almost 100 targets a season. Question, do you really think he was always bad even though his stats proved different or maybe it's the scheme and lack of use of his skill set? Zimmer got fired because of not only his record but the inability to beat Green Bay. His run first scheme doesn't work when you're trailing all the time. You're watching Zimmer 2.0 in Cleveland with Stefanski. You are not going to win regularly with a passing offense mired in the bottom 25% of the league or trotting out a QB that is going to throw 200 plus fewer passes than the elite teams.

You can be the top running team in the league (aka PHI) but if you can't score quick through the air, run a feared 2-minute drill, or adjust to what the defense is offering you then you're doomed. Currently, the Browns passing offense has none of those attributes!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 09:37 PM
I love that your argument is that we should be passing more. It is the only real criticism of Stefanski that makes sense.
Posted By: bugs Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 09:38 PM
Bone, yep, that looks about right! Gosh, we are doing what winning teams are doing in the offseason and not looking for a new GM and or HC.
Posted By: bugs Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I love that your argument is that we should be passing more. It is the only real criticism of Stefanski that makes sense.

Actually, the root of the problem is we become predictable. At the beginning of the year and on paper the Browns can run a myriad of schemes. In the end, Cleveland was mainly good at running 12 and 13 personnel schemes. Teams learned they must stop the run and take their chances defending the pass. Once we lost a few key receivers, the Browns made it easy for teams.

Cleveland doesn't need to have the weapons Cincinnati has to be successful. They simply need to have the personnel to keep the defenses honest. When we lost OBJ and Landry got hurt, we lost the edge. Otherwise, I still believe Stefanski can build this offense around the run game. It is simple and cost-effective. Build the defense through the draft and the offense using FA and development.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 10:10 PM
Wow. So, does Nobody get it?

What do you think the Browns defensive roster in 2021 was, it was studded out, studded out to the max! Player by player, pound for pound. Any thought that they would get some benefit from another addition, on defense,
Could have already been answered, when they already did!! like 7 times, like everyone from A.Walker, to McKinley, to Clowney, to Newsome, to Koramoah, to Phillips being healthy, to 22 Delpit returning, to John Johnson, to Troy Hill.
That's 9!
So, your post is, the answer is, that, After 9 times doubling down on the Same Medicine
that what they need to do,

is a 10th time dose of the same medicine that, (well despite all the new tools they just can't seem to play better chess on game days, or, well, they Do, 8 wins, but 4th place at the end of the division,)

I'm not saying I have the answer, what I'm saying is, we've seen what you are advocating for, and seen it 9 holes deep. (Golf)
This is it. 8-9. 8 wins 9 losses,
Cole Beasley and Stephon Diggs, and others all over can grab these drop down, over the shoulder passes 35 yards down field on the way to and through the playoffs to the super bowl,
But one more defender to add on the roster is the answer? I think, it's not quite an insane idea but it's dang near as insane as thinking Hue Jackson would be a good bring back.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/17/22 10:36 PM
25 years of putting Offense 3rd has netted the Browns soo many championships. frown
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 01:42 AM
I have to agree that the Browns defense is good - well, most of the time. I don't believe that the defense is the biggest need at this time but getting a stud DT and an upgrade at LB should absolutely be on the table for discussion as how to address those needs this off season. If I was Berry putting together a "to do" list, it might look something like this:

1. Head-to-head discussion with Stefanski about a) giving up play calling, b) adjusting (not totally changing) the scheme to our personnel's skill set's, c) determining if AVP as OC is in the team's best interest d) hiring a QB Coach totally dedicated to fixing the mechanics and decision making of our QB's.
2. Hiring a QB Coach and if necessary, an Offensive Coordinator
3. Addressing our FA's and which one's meet the needs going forward - are we releasing or cutting anyone?
4. FA and the Draft - order of biggest needs
a) WR - combination of FA and the draft (3-4 players)
b) OT - Health of Conkin?, Wills still at LT?, depth
c) DT - FA or Draft?
d) LB - FA or Draft?
e) TE - Best options going forward with adjusted scheme
f) QB2 - what's our best option
g) Kicking game - stability
h) Team - improving the team depth
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Both McDowell and Jackson ranked as practice squad players for the season for PFF.. I would be surprised if either is back.. DT is our weakest area by far, next is LB. I'd love to upgrade both in offseason

Sheldon Day (64.7): Graded 59.1 against the run over 233 snaps and seven games.

Malik McDowell (47.0): Was fifth with 24 pressures and graded 43.1 against the run.

Malik Jackson (44.4): Was third with 26 pressures and graded 43.6 against the run

Jordan Elliott (42.2): Was third among interior defenders in snaps and graded 45.9 against the run.

Tommy Togiai (40.8): Had 125 snaps and the lowest defensive grade among those with at least 10 snaps.

100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable.

DeMarvin Leal could be a possibility at 13 depending on what happens in FA and as the draft unfolds.

Posted By: Hammer Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 02:24 AM
Jordan Davis, perhaps. I believe they will go BPA and that could be one of DE, DT, WR, or OT.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 01:05 PM
PFF is a respected analysis.

However, I would sign McDowell no question. He was a rookie and he played very well at times. He will get better.

He has size, strength, and quickness. As he learns better technique he will improve greatly.

I respect Berry. He brings a blend of scounting background and analytics. As a GM you will never bat 1000 so expectations have to be realistic.

Looking at the Browns roster today if I were Berry I would continue to improve the defense. Of course that does not mean ignore an offense that came apart last year.

I believe the defense has a chance to be really good. We must always look to improve the pass rush. As you watch the playoff games and see the better quarterbacks pressure is a must. You can not allow good quarterbacks time.

We have a large investment in analytics and scouting this is the time when it must pay off.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 01:32 PM

And there is also the argument that we should run more. So, we should pass more and run more. If that is the case, then WTF have we been doing? Sacks, interceptions, 3-and-outs, 4-and-outs I guess?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

And there is also the argument that we should run more. So, we should pass more and run more. If that is the case, then WTF have we been doing? Sacks, interceptions, 3-and-outs, 4-and-outs I guess?

My thought is that we should adjust more - my main gripe with the offense when things were not working in games, we got predictable, we were too conservative, or we went 100% the opposite direction and we tried to be too cute. I think there is a balance that is more aggressive play calling to win and close out games, that doesn't mean gadget plays. Sean Payton, Sean McVay and Andy Reid would be guys I think of that do that well - McVay even with Jared Goff was plenty aggressive when he was closing out games.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 02:51 PM
This now becomes the time of Andrew Berry.

He is the focus. His decisions this off season will shape the roster for 2022.

First comes free agency. Who do we want to remain on the team? Who do we let walk?

When that decided it is all about who do we go after? And will they sign with us?

Clowney will get an offer from us. I am not sure if he will sign. IMO we will sign Ward to a large extension.

I think we will sign Njoku, MJ Stewart, Walker, McKinley if he is cleared medically.

I don't think we will sign Colquitt, Malcolm Smith, Higgins, Malik Jackson, Hubbard, or Harrison.

RFA:
Yes to d'earnest Johnson, Stephan Carlson, and Odenigbo. No to McLLaughlin.

ERFA:
All yes to McDowell, Dunn, Hance is borderline.
================================================================================

What free agents or trades that we may pursue?

Calvin Ridley stepped away from football to deal with mental health. The Browns have supported and gave opportunities to McKinley and McDowell.
Ridley is really good. I am sure Berry will contact the Falcons.

I believe we will make offers to Allen Robinson, and Christian Kirk (if Jarvis leaves), Chris Godwin. Can not say who will sign.

We may go after Terron Armstead depending upon the prognosis for Conklin.

Clowney signing with another team would force Berry to go after another pass rusher. Berry may have to come with the best offer. I think he will do it.

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 03:06 PM
That's a really solid list and very realistic for the internal dealings and contract negotiations. I think Malcom Smith might be worth retaining for the right price. Harrison too - he's likely as good as the depth we replace him.

The WR you list are all interesting - Ridley is tier 1 across the whole NFL, that's an interesting angle you put out there and if we could embrace Ridley and he came here, that would be enormous.

As you said - Conklin is the single biggest unknown and area of uncertainty. Hoping he returns 100% - but that injury used to be a career ender.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 03:25 PM

However, I would sign McDowell no question. He was a rookie and he played very well at times. He will get better.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 03:28 PM
Well, that was fun while it lasted....
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 03:37 PM
These decisions are very important.

Then comes the draft.

Obviously how free agency goes impacts the draft.

The draft is almost three months away. So, I have barely looked at it.

Because of all the controversy surrounding Baker I have peeked at the quarterback class.

I have no idea if Berry will even consider a quarterback in the first round. But he will have to look because it is part of his job to be aware of BPA.

Malik Willis played for Roswell high school which is ten minutes from my home. I watched his highlight tape which I take with a grain of salt.

His physical abilities are off the charts. That is all I can say at this point. I know little else other than he played at Liberty which is way down the food chain.

He is 6' 1" 225 lbs. with 4.4 speed and a cannon arm.

In many ways he looks like part of the new wave quarterbacks Lamar, Lance, Fields, Murray, Tua, Allen. Quarterbacks who are a running threat. They make teams have to plan for their ability to run.

More than likely Berry will not darft a qb with pick 13. However, if you scout a player just to be aware and you are blown away? Then he is there when you pick. You do not want to be a GM and years later think "I should have."
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/18/22 03:39 PM
Wow!

He just threw away a life.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/19/22 07:13 PM
My wish is that the Browns go all out to try and win the SB next season. Get Rodgers from GB. Get game breaking WR and play making LB in the draft or FA.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/19/22 07:29 PM
Sure A-a-ron is just dying to come to Cleveland.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/19/22 09:17 PM
I'd argue it wouldn't be the most questionable move he's made this year.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/19/22 09:43 PM
No qb will want to come to cle after the way we acted towards baker
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/19/22 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

This is laughable. If we trade for Carr or Cousins or Garoppolo or whoever and sign them to an extension worth $35 million a year they’ll come.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer
Sure A-a-ron is just dying to come to Cleveland.
That's why it's a wish list. Seriously, why are you selling Cleveland short? If the Browns ever want to play in and win a SB it's going to take a dramatic move like getting Rodgers. Like Tampa Bay did when they got Brady!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 01:56 AM
Why would any elite qb want to come here with the toxic fanbase and hateful dramatic media?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 02:49 AM
Today the wish is, someone would fix the mechanics, posture, throwing motion, and in pocket decision making of Baker Mayfield, and throwing off a correct foot, and looking off safeties, pump fakes, all that stuff.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 03:41 AM

This is laughable. If we trade for Carr or Cousins or Garoppolo or whoever and sign them to an extension worth $35 million a year they’ll come.

You would trade for an average qb with a 35 million dollar salary? I'm guessing, in your opinion, we would need to trade draft picks too?

But Baker at 18 million is too much?

Smh
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Why would any elite qb want to come here with the toxic fanbase and hateful dramatic media?

Cleveland is not unique in this regard.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 04:00 AM

You would trade for an average qb with a 35 million dollar salary? I'm guessing, in your opinion, we would need to trade draft picks too?

Smh

Average is a huge upgrade over what we had in 2021. Depending on the cost I would definitely try to upgrade to average. My guess is that the cost would be too much for me.

Any starting level QB is a bargain at $18 million.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 05:22 AM
Average is a huge upgrade over what we had in 2021. Depending on the cost I would definitely try to upgrade to average. My guess is that the cost would be too much for me.

So you really are Dee Haslam??
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 12:02 PM
Average is a huge upgrade over what we had in 2021.

You continue to harp on along this accurate but short sighted perspective. A perspective that you yourself have suggested Berry is not going to use. It is not about what Baker did in 2021 - injured shoulder, ankle, foot .... it's about his reasonable expectations for how he can perform Stefanski's offense next year when healthy. It's either you or Pit that constantly remind anyone who questions Stefanski's offense how well Baker performed in Stefanski's offense last year. And while you both embrace a single article by PFF showing the Browns had 3 WR open the second most in the NFL this year - neither of you have embraced PFF grading Baker the 5th best QB in the NFL last year over the final 9 games of the season. . . . ey ey ey.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 12:42 PM

Cleveland is not unique in this regard.

I agree. I was going to say much the same.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 12:48 PM
Do you guys listen to yourselves? You don't want to pay Baker because he had a bad year (while injured) but you're ok trading for a guy that some other team wants to move on from because he doesn't meet their (the teams) expectations and/or needs and give him 35 million per year extension without playing a down for Cleveland after being rejected by their previous team. Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson all have no-trade clauses and I guarantee you the Browns are nowhere near any of their lists with the Browns WR group and Stefanski's offensive scheme. Carr (age 31) is due 19.8 million in 2022 then a FA, Jimmy G (age 31) is due 27 million in 2022 then a FA, and Cousins (age 34) is due 45 million in 2022 then a FA who all expect to be moved into the top tiers of pay most likely at 40-50 million per year level after next year. You're willing to dump all your eggs into a 1-year drive to a SB with an unknown at QB that will either cost you big bucks prior to stepping on the field or after a year you don't pay and have no QB. If it doesn't work - the Browns don't even have the draft picks to start over with - good plan guys.

Getting rid of Baker brings even bigger cap issues during the off season of 2023 due to the new TV contract. In your minds, bouncing a guy that grew in years 1 and 2 - met expectations in year 3 and played injured in year 4 must happen and you're willing to pay a huge extension to guys that have never played a down in Cleveland and were just rejected by their previous team. F__ing A, let me be the GM of Las Vegas, MIN or SFO. I'll take Baker, your 1st round pick for this year and next for Carr, Cousins or Jimmy G because you're needy. Then I'll extend Baker for 3-4 years for about 28 million backend loaded or use a franchise tag on him and set my offense to his skill set and have 2 first round picks the next 2 years to use on a QB if needed.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Berry is that stupid and it would be certain career suicide.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 01:57 PM

Smh

Any starting level QB is a bargain at $18 million.

Carr and Garrapolo are pretty average and would cost a pretty penny to get here, but I can understand the angle for those 2 given they've had some success in a similar system, and have shown they can do the things required of the QB in this offense.

The Carr thing makes absolutely no sense to me (other than his potentially being available). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carr is more of a gunslinger-style throwing the ball (in a mediocre fashion) all over the yard. Granted, I haven't watched much of him the past couple years, but back when he was red-hot, that's the offense he was operating.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 01:58 PM
My biggest off season wish is for Baker to come back and torch the league.

I mean have a MVP season. That would suit me just fine.

There are a bunch of people I would love to see eating a large dish of crow.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 01:59 PM
I think the Browns will keep Baker next year and bring in some competition to light a fire in him. I could see the Browns signing Mitchell Trubiski to a 1 year deal as a back up and an experienced interim replacement if Baker's struggles continue. Then maybe draft a Sam Howell in the 2nd round if he is available to develop as a possible replacement.

If Baker works out he is extended and Howell develops as his back up. Trubiski is not resigned.

If Baker struggles the Browns insert Trubiski. Kick the tires on him. Then if that does not work later in the season see what you have in Howell. Let Baker and Trubiski's contracts expire either move forward with Howell or then make a play for the Browns next QB.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 02:13 PM
I don't think my psyche could take wasting the careers of both Joe Thomas AND Chubb. I'm done kicking tires, and I suspect that that approach doesn't line up with the analytics (correct me if I'm wrong, but "kicking the tires" is akin to a guess based on nothing but hope... which is how I would characterize bringing in someone like Trubisky).

If he's not on the roster, get someone you know that will work for the offense (ex. Cousins). If not, go for broke on a bonafide star that ends up being available (even someone like Watson, assuming his stuff is sorted out). I cheered for Hunt when he got here, so I should be able to cheer for Watson. Not sure the Texans will get those 3 firsts, but the cost will be steep.
Posted By: eotab Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 03:01 PM
There is a feel for the game there is a time to throw and a time to run. Some of it is determined via tendencies of the D. Please note I'm typing on feel as eye had my monthly eyeball procedure as I received shots in the eyeball it slowly will cleare up. Anyways when you are running the ball at 7 yds per clip that is a good time to RUN more than pass but also usually it is because teams are over playing the pass. What I hate is when you need 8 yds for a 1st and you throw a 2 yard pass by design...I alsways go WHY? WHY? do we do that you modify the play to the line to gain! make that 2 yard pass into a 7 yd pass and let him fall forward for that 1st down!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 04:52 PM

While it's not just you, this is an example of what laughable looks like. You obviously haven't seen or followed sports media in places like New York, Chicago, Philly and other major NFL markets. If you had of you would know that the fan base and media here is a cake walk compared to many NFL cities.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 04:58 PM
Do you guys listen to yourselves?

I think what you're doing is refusing to listen to the Browns FO. It was they who chose to pick up Baker's fifth year option rather than sign him to a contract extension. And that was back in April before this season even began. Can you think of a single thing during the 2021 season that would change their minds? The fact that some of us understand why seems more upsetting to you than the actual people who made the decision. Because it wasn't us. It sounds as if you should be contacting the Browns FO with your concerns.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 06:16 PM
I don't disagree with you, but there's a portion of Browns fans that are unable to get over the OSU flag-plant. Overall, though, I agree with you.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 06:29 PM
I’d like to see the team add an impactful DT, since McDowell is gone. An addition of a high-level WR would be nice. Mostly, I would like to see all the wounded players get back to their best levels in health and ability. I try to be as realistic in my dreams as possible. I think all three are possible with the cap space soon to be available.

I’d like to see KS call plays to the teams strengths, and adjust better to the other teams.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 06:45 PM
I think we agree here. Sure, there's a few in every crowd. It's just not the ground swell some try to make it out be in order to blame the fan base for questioning Baker.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 07:23 PM
I've mentioned a few times that I think Cleveland has the worst sports media in the US, but I don't think it's the toughest. So with those two things together, I think if Baker Mayfield can't handle media/fanbase here, he's probably not cut out to be a pro QB. I don't think this is the case, despite some of his outbursts in the media. I think he's fiery, but not thin-skinned (just my take/opinion).
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 07:37 PM
When he was first drafted I saw signs of immaturity I thought were obvious. But from my perspective he has matured a lot since then. And if by "worst sports media" you mean the most uninformed and speculative I might agree with you. But then that's something I haven't looked into deeply on a national level..
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/20/22 08:32 PM
Yes and yes.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/21/22 04:49 PM
And if by "worst sports media" you mean the most uninformed and speculative I might agree with you.

Muckrakers.
It's literally a significant segment of Cleveland media in general. It's not just limited to sports, but sports certainly isn't skipped over.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 12:01 AM
Is there something I am not aware of that is preventing us from franchising Clowney?
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 01:03 AM
Cost? $17.5M projected cost. Is that going to be too much? I don't know.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 02:53 AM
Today this.
For 27+ years, the Browns have looked every offseason for players and coaches from outside to come in and improve the Browns.
I'd wish this offseason the Browns would look inside their own situation and further a commitment to the Gems they already have!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 02:54 AM
Garoppolo is not good.
Tannehill is not good.
Roethlisberger is not good.
Carr is not good.
Hurts is not good.

All of these QB's were in the playoffs this year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I would do it every time.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 04:59 AM
We need a kicker we can feel good about. I think chase could be the guy. Idk
Posted By: Hammer Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 02:15 PM
I know - he sucks.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 02:44 PM
Garoppolo is not good.
Tannehill is not good.
Carr is not good.
Hurts is not good.

Jimmy G has his team in the NFC Championship game, playing for a Super Bowl. Just a few weeks ago, posters were debating and saying Baker was Jimmy G. I'd take that.

And Like I said in the game day predictions thread, I think Cincy has enough to go all the way this year. They just made the AFC championship game. What an embarrassment for Browns fans… we beat them twice but couldn't seal the deal.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 03:12 PM

To be honest I think I would like to see a 2 year deal for him. I've never been very good at worrying about the money though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 03:57 PM

To be honest I think I would like to see a 2 year deal for him. I've never been very good at worrying about the money though.

With Clowney’s injury history I would much rather have him for only one year even if it was a little bit more expensive.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 04:20 PM
While that sounds great in theory, after his performance this season we will be competing for his services. His value has shot up. I don't think under those circumstances we can get away with a one year deal this time around.
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 04:23 PM
I believe they're talking about placing the franchise tag on him...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Garoppolo is not good.
Tannehill is not good.
Carr is not good.
Hurts is not good.

Jimmy G has his team in the NFC Championship game, playing for a Super Bowl. Just a few weeks ago, posters were debating and saying Baker was Jimmy G. I'd take that.

And Like I said in the game day predictions thread, I think Cincy has enough to go all the way this year. They just made the AFC championship game. What an embarrassment for Browns fans… we beat them twice but couldn't seal the deal.

I wouldn't say an embarrassment to the fans, but we probably have a few players on the team who feel like punks.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

As of 2021 the franchise tag for DE was $16,069,000.

DE Leonard Williams, NYG, $19,351,200 (2nd tag) was his offer in 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/spots/2021-nfl-franchise-transition-tags-1182/

I expect the cost will be much higher than that for the 2022 season. Not saying the Browns won't do it, but that's a lot of money.

Myles contract is a 5 year $125 million deal and his salary for 2021 the way the details of the contract are written, Clowney would be making a LOT more money in 2022 than Myles if they tag him.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 04:55 PM

I expect the cost will be much higher than that for the 2022 season. Not saying the Browns won't do it, but that's a lot of money.

Myles contract is a 5 year $125 million deal and his salary for 2021 the way the details of the contract are written, Clowney would be making a LOT more money in 2022 than Myles if they tag him.

Yeah I think they (FrankZ and cfrs) were guessing about 17.5M...

Not sure where that number will land. I really like Clowney, but that is a truckload of cash! When do tags have to be placed?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:02 PM
The franchise tag for ends is going to be about $20 million.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

I would franchise Clowney with no worries.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:06 PM
Yeah, that's almost 4 million over 2021. A 20 mil. cap hit is something I think the FO may worry about.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:08 PM
He should get a 3-year deal. I hope we can manage it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:09 PM
When do tags have to be placed?

Not until July 15th at 4:00 P.M. That's the final deadline but if a team isn't going to use the franchise tag they often announce it before then.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:23 PM
When do tags have to be placed?

Not until July 15th at 4:00 P.M. That's the final deadline but if a team isn't going to use the franchise tag they often announce it before then.

We his is incorrect.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-and-other-key-offseason-dates-revealed/

Teams have until March 8th.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:35 PM
Sorry about that. You are correct. The deadline for players who have received a franchise tag to sign a multi-year extension is 4 p.m. ET on July 15.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 05:56 PM

It will be interesting. In the end I doubt we tag him. Not so much because it is a 1 year total more than Myles. Myles is still making more money. Being more money over 1 year shouldn't make any difference.

In the end, it will just be too much money for the yearly cap. I hope a 2-3 year deal that fits our cap situation is good enough money for him. It might be less than cap money for one year, but over 2-3 years it would work out much better in guarantees. I might be wrong, but I think Clowney is still young enough in a volatile sport that 2-3 years of security means something.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 06:03 PM
I hope you're right. But nobody seemed to trust signing him when we picked him up on the cheap. That's not the case and we will have competition signing him.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 06:20 PM
I used a different site but cost may still be an issue for the front office.

Even given his injury history I am happy to try to get him for 2 years based on what we saw this year. I wonder if would give us an edge (snicker) over other teams that want him for on a year try out deal.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 06:32 PM
After this season do you really think he won't get a mutil year offer from other teams as well?
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 07:12 PM
After this season do you really think he won't get a mutil year offer from other teams as well?

Not exactly what I said.

Move along.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/23/22 07:25 PM
Not exactly but it would be easy to take it that way.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/24/22 12:41 AM
My off-season wish is for a strength and conditioning program that minimizes the ridiculous number of lower body injuries we're plagued with. Here's an interesting season conditioning idea:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/super-bowl-contending-buffalo-bills-150000611.html

Super Bowl-contending Buffalo Bills cut squats from their workouts during the season — and trainers say that may explain why they're the least-injured team in the playoffs
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/24/22 01:22 AM
Wish we would have kept Jordan Poyer. Turned into an All Pro
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/24/22 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by TrooperDawg
My off-season wish is for a strength and conditioning program that minimizes the ridiculous number of lower body injuries we're plagued with. Here's an interesting season conditioning idea:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/super-bowl-contending-buffalo-bills-150000611.html

Super Bowl-contending Buffalo Bills cut squats from their workouts during the season — and trainers say that may explain why they're the least-injured team in the playoffs

It's just the way we are. In all seriousness, I have been talking about the Browns hiring a yoga coach on and off for maybe 15 or more years. I recently saw john johnso talk about it....I hope it works and we begin to do something about stretching these guys out rather than simply build them up in the weight room until their muscles are a taught as piano string.

I expect we won't and this problem will continue. It's about time a starter or two tears a bicep muscle that needs season ending surgery, we haven't had one of those in a year or so.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/24/22 04:28 PM
Is there something I am not aware of that is preventing us from franchising Clowney?

Technically, no, but you save that for a last resort if you cannot negotiate something before the date to designate tags rolls around and you just absolutely do not want to lose that specific player.
I don't think $17.5 million for a single year would be outrageously too much for him, but I'd be much happier if we got it down to like $10-12 million per year for three or four years.

In either case, I think we need him, and I think we need to draft a guy to start trying to backfill with as Clowney isn't a spring chicken.
There's an out in Myles' contract for after 2024, too. If he isn't playing like Superman at that point then we will likely not continue to pay him at the level he's getting paid.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 01:20 PM
This is just another example of why the 2-TE and 3-TE sets have been disastrous for the Browns passing game and has a direct reflection on the QB play when the Browns don't have a single TE rated in the top 17 of getting a "Step or More Separation vs. Single-Man"" when almost 50% of your plays are run from this scheme set. Is Stefanski building an offense to the skill set of his QB or running a scheme with pieces outside the QB's control that cannot execute the scheme? Like I've been saying, there's a lot more wrong with the scheme than just the things Baker needs to work on - as Aaron Rodgers so elegantly stated: "The Browns are not putting Baker into good situations."

Post by Dwain McFarland
Step or more separation vs. single-man for tight ends (excludes pick plays and off coverage inviting underneath throws):
(min 40 routes)

67% Andrews
66% Waller
58% Kelce
58% Hunter Henry
57% George Kittle
53% Rob Gronkowski, Tyler Higbee
52% Dawson Knox
49% Cole Kmet

48% NFL average

46% T.J. Hockenson
45% Kyle Pitts (played outside more)
43% Mike Gesicki
41% Evan Engram
40% Noah Fant
38% Pat Freiermuth
33% C.J. Uzomah
31% Tyler Conklin
Posted By: eotab Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 02:02 PM
This is just another example of why the 2-TE and 3-TE sets have been disastrous for the Browns passing game and has a direct reflection on the QB play when the Browns don't have a single TE rated in the top 17 of getting a "Step or More Separation vs. Single-Man"" when almost 50% of your plays are run from this scheme set. Is Stefanski building an offense to the skill set of his QB or running a scheme with pieces outside the QB's control that cannot execute the scheme? Like I've been saying, there's a lot more wrong with the scheme than just the things Baker needs to work on - as Aaron Rodgers so elegantly stated: "The Browns are not putting Baker into good situations."

Post by Dwain McFarland
Step or more separation vs. single-man for tight ends (excludes pick plays and off coverage inviting underneath throws):
(min 40 routes)

67% Andrews
66% Waller
58% Kelce
58% Hunter Henry
57% George Kittle
53% Rob Gronkowski, Tyler Higbee
52% Dawson Knox
49% Cole Kmet

48% NFL average

46% T.J. Hockenson
45% Kyle Pitts (played outside more)
43% Mike Gesicki
41% Evan Engram
40% Noah Fant
38% Pat Freiermuth
33% C.J. Uzomah
31% Tyler Conklin

This is why my wish list has the need for us to get a STUD TE - the draft seems to be the place to get that talent. I mean we utilize it as a strength and then we have below average talent. From what I see the best weapon we got is Harrison Bryant. I know most would think Njoku or Hooper but this kid Bryant seems to catch all his passes and gets open - after a couple of fumbles his YAC aggression went down but he started to pick that up at the end of the season still we need that stud
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 03:12 PM
It won't matter if the Browns get a stud or not. The Browns are weak at WR and refuse to use the skill set of the TE (Hooper). In a different stat, Hooper was rated #3 in the league is getting separation in zone defenses going into the 2020 season. If Stefanski won't build to the players skill sets, going out and getting a different stud TE is fruitless if he's not going to build the offense to the players skill set.

As I previously posted: he chased Diggs out of MIN, he chased OBJ out of CLE, he's out and out refused to use the talent of Hopper, he cut Cousins pass attempts by almost 30% when he was the OC in MIN, and he's done the exact same thing to Baker. The Browns don't have a PFF rated WR in the top 70 league wide, Stefanski's play-calling is suspect at best, Stefanski had no answer when teams stacked the box, he doesn't have a single TE that can beat man coverage even 30% of the time, and he played a franchise QB 12-games after it was known he had an injury that not only required surgery but effected his motion and accuracy.

Now these are all coach's decisions that Stefanski failed at.

All of these documented facts are going to have a serious effect on free agency. Stefanski has shown a stubborn stance to not adjusting his scheme. As of today, any future aspirations for the AFC playoffs and a SB appearance goes through KCC, Buffalo, Cincinnati and Tennessee, Stefanski's current offensive scheme does not allow the Browns to compete with these teams in the near term. Getting the missing pieces is certainly the goal - using those pieces to their fullest extent is the haunting question. Stefanski currently, DOES NOT DO THAT!
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 04:26 PM
It won't matter if the Browns get a stud or not. The Browns are weak at WR and refuse to use the skill set of the TE (Hooper). In a different stat, Hooper was rated #3 in the league is getting separation in zone defenses going into the 2020 season. If Stefanski won't build to the players skill sets, going out and getting a different stud TE is fruitless if he's not going to build the offense to the players skill set.

As I previously posted: he chased Diggs out of MIN, he chased OBJ out of CLE, he's out and out refused to use the talent of Hopper, he cut Cousins pass attempts by almost 30% when he was the OC in MIN, and he's done the exact same thing to Baker. The Browns don't have a PFF rated WR in the top 70 league wide, Stefanski's play-calling is suspect at best, Stefanski had no answer when teams stacked the box, he doesn't have a single TE that can beat man coverage even 30% of the time, and he played a franchise QB 12-games after it was known he had an injury that not only required surgery but effected his motion and accuracy.

Now these are all coach's decisions that Stefanski failed at.

All of these documented facts are going to have a serious effect on free agency. Stefanski has shown a stubborn stance to not adjusting his scheme. As of today, any future aspirations for the AFC playoffs and a SB appearance goes through KCC, Buffalo, Cincinnati and Tennessee, Stefanski's current offensive scheme does not allow the Browns to compete with these teams in the near term. Getting the missing pieces is certainly the goal - using those pieces to their fullest extent is the haunting question. Stefanski currently, DOES NOT DO THAT!

Come on. That post is full of hyperbole. The Browns cannot complete against the following teams although, they beat the Bengals twice this year and last year under this head coach once this year on their field by over 20 points. They beat Tennessee in 2020 and gave KC everything they wanted last year and this year. This team is close they just need better QB play. 60% completion % will not cut it. I think a not injured Baker can get there but it is not up to me it is up to Stefanski.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 05:20 PM
Come on, beating the Bengals twice when the last time they sat all their starters is nothing to brag about. The game against KCC was a good game but a loss just the same. Blaming it all on Baker is just BS since he completed 75% of his passes against KCC (uninjured) and (injured) 71.88% against the LAC, and 67.86 against ARI and still lost all 3 games. All that without a #1 WR, no TE that could get separation above 30% in man coverage, and a WR group with the highest rated PFF receiver at 73rd. Even so, did Stefanski put Baker in a position where he could be successful and win the Arizona game? Of course not, in a game where the Browns were down 20-0 with 9:29 left in the second qtr and 23-14 at the half, Stefanski proceeded to have Mayfield throw only 9 passes the entire 2nd half. Arizona ran 75 offensive plays to the Browns 59 and beat the Browns 37-14. Now I'm sure that there's an excuse for this game too and that it was Baker's fault. However, no QB is going to develop any consistency or build a rhythm or have chemistry with their receivers throwing 9 passes in a half. You can continue to blame an injured Baker all you want but ignoring the fact that there's issues much bigger than an injured QB's performance that's holding the Browns back. You just don't want to admit that fact.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 06:24 PM
When I look at the 3 TE, and think, ?? what is going on, and it's like, I think, well I don't know but I think,
maybe it's analytics, that says, umm, well if the Defense is going to get interceptions then you analyze youll lose the game and if the defense is going to get interceptions then usually they come from the Dbs, so maybe,
maybe, they'll say, umm, if we only throw at linebackers then we won't get ints. and then we'll analyze a % to win a freaking game, because they didn't throw an int. So playing scared.

and to put it in a basketball analogy, they'll analyze a fear of playing offense, to the point they'd never try a 3 point shot, and never drive the lane but, BUT, just think how great the offense would be if they take every time they have the ball and try a 10 foot jumper from an odd angle, well they'd never score very many points, but they would (analyze) to barely have any shots blocked, or barely have any fast breaks and turnovers or even have their players foul out. Ah who cares, I don't know anything,
it just feels like, the rest of the league plays Football, and the Browns play analytics, and analytics sucks, at football, unless you are happy with 7-8 and 2 games a flip of the coin. frown Hey why sign a plethora of players so the offense can be orchestrated through the 3rd tight end?
Tell us why the 3rd TE, and the Fullback are So much more a part of the offense than the top 2 WR's on an NFL team?
Unless it were an expansion team, or some such overly untalented group.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 06:27 PM
The "Backups Game" was more competitive for the Bengals than the previous one. If you don't want to count the second Bengals game because of the situation, fine, but then we're only looking at 1 game where the Bengals got boat-raced.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 07:07 PM
The "Backups Game" was more competitive for the Bengals than the previous one. If you don't want to count the second Bengals game because of the situation, fine, but then we're only looking at 1 game where the Bengals got boat-raced.

In their house!
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 08:25 PM
Yet one game does not make a season and the Browns are sitting at home and the Bengals are in the Conference Championship game. The Bucs lost twice to the Saints last season (2020) but when it came to the playoffs the Bucs ripped the Saints. Does that make the Saints a better team than the Bucs last year because they beat them twice or are the Bucs better because they won the Super Bowl? Yes, the Browns beat Cincinnati but the Bengals won the division and the Browns finished tied for last. I don't put much credence in a singular win here or there as much as I do about the totality of the season. The Bengals lost less games than the Browns and that's why they are still playing and the Browns are not. I certainly don't believe a victory in week 9 of 2021 would give the Browns any kind of an edge in 2022 especially considering the change in makeup that all teams go through on a yearly basis.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 08:38 PM
I think it says that we really aren't that far from switching places with the Bengals as it seems.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 08:41 PM
Yet one game does not make a season and the Browns are sitting at home and the Bengals are in the Conference Championship game. The Bucs lost twice to the Saints last season (2020) but when it came to the playoffs the Bucs ripped the Saints. Does that make the Saints a better team than the Bucs last year because they beat them twice or are the Bucs better because they won the Super Bowl? Yes, the Browns beat Cincinnati but the Bengals won the division and the Browns finished tied for last. I don't put much credence in a singular win here or there as much as I do about the totality of the season. The Bengals lost less games than the Browns and that's why they are still playing and the Browns are not. I certainly don't believe a victory in week 9 of 2021 would give the Browns any kind of an edge in 2022 especially considering the change in makeup that all teams go through on a yearly basis.

Their is 1 differenc4e between the Browns and the Bengals and that is Joe Borrow. They found their franchise QB. The Browns Offensive line is better than the Bengals. I would take Chubb, Hunt, and Johnson over their stable of backs although they have a very good RB. Tight End is about the same. They have better receivers no doubt but biggest difference is they found their franchise QB. Heck, they gave up the most sacks in the NFL during the season and won the division, Burrow got sacked 9 times last Saturday and they still won. Now, if he continues to take abuse like that he won't be around long. Your franchise QB needs to be protected and if they don't fix that their will be on crutches soon. The Bengals have a decent set of DE's but I would take Garret and Clowney (if he resigns) over their DE's. They probably have better Defensive tackles although we let Oginjobi walk and thought we up graded that position. We match up with them pretty good at linebacker and the strength of their defense the secondary pretty well. I think the Browns defensive strength is the pass rush when healthy and the secondary just like the Bengals. Bottom line is Burrow is just better than Baker and their receivers are better than ours.

I think the Browns will close the gap some at receiver this off season. I see Berry making fixing that position a priority and he does pretty well when he focuses in on a position of need.
Posted By: Jester Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/27/22 10:13 PM
I think it says that we really aren't that far from switching places with the Bengals as it seems.

We are a 26-14 week 17 loss to the steelers from switching places with the Bengals.
Though Day of the Dawg has a major point about Burrow and the prospects of the 2 teams going forward.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 12:07 AM
Baker is still undefeated against Burrow...We have that... rofl
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 12:18 AM
Didn't Clowney sign a one year deal?

So, are you able to franchise a free agent?

This is a quote from Myles:

"You know I have tried, but you never know,” Garrett said. “Guys have their own agendas and want to be in certain places. I can’t help it if a guy wants to be in Miami, he likes the weather there more or he likes to be by the water. At the end of the day, I want this team to stay together, and I want the defense to stay together. I think we have a good future ahead of us. I am going to do my best when I speak to them about it after the season.”

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 01:42 AM
I am in total agreement with Burrow and the WR's. Consideration should be given to the fact that Cincinnati lets Burrow throw thus getting a rhythm and building chemistry with his receivers. I'm pretty certain that Burrow's numbers would be significantly lower if his best WR had a PFF rating grade of 73 like the Browns put on the field and if he threw 250 less passes like Baker. The first 2 games of the year before his injury, Mayfield completed 75.0 against KCC and 90.48 against Houston even with his poor WR group. Baker was also the 5th rated passer the last 9 games of 2020. I'm not so sure that Cincinnati has such an advantage at QB with a healthy Mayfield but it's going to take a monster effort to get WR's half as good as the Cincy group this off season. The one thing I do see though is that Cincinnati was able to have a 1,200 yard rusher with an explosive passing game. Contrary to what the Browns do, for them the run is a weapon that compliments the pass. Amazing that you can still run a spread offense with 1 TE and still have a 1,000 yd plus runner and 2 WR's with over 1,000 yds and a 3rd with 828. All that and it was done with a line that was weaker than the Browns? Unfortunately, seeing that in Cleveland will probably never happen with Stefanski as coach because he hasn't shown he can do it MIN or CLE yet.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 04:36 AM
I've been agreeing with a lot of your posts lately.

In a recent post, I mentioned that this year's Browns team was only about half-2/3 of the team that bounced PIT from the post season. Injuries impacted everything, including O scheme and play calling. The Browns team that narrowly lost to KC in Game One looked very much like the team that finished 2020. Then, the injury/Covid dump truck backed up to 76 Groza, and emptied its entire load on us.

KS was still calling early 2021 games like 2020 until he couldn't. Lots of folks seem to miss this point.

As to your comments on Joe Burrow being the difference: agreed there, as well. Still, I have to wonder how large the gap between him and #6 would have been had BM remained healthy. I still think that a healthy Baker Mayfield this year would have gotten us into the post season along with CIN. How different would the two teams' records have looked, week-to-week? All #6 had to do was play like he did in 2020, and we'd likely still be in the tournament conversation. He was damaged, all year- and it showed on Sundays. I see no reason why we can't expect a 2020 Baker in 2022. And I'll take that prospect over any other present option.

_______

This team is closer than last year looked. It's prob. pretty hard for some fans to see, when you consider how many seasons of really bad Browns play have conditioned all of us. "Battered Dawg Syndrome" is real, bro. Some of these 2021 games felt very familiar to all of us- for good reason.

I'm with you about where we are, and what we need to do going forward. I see the same strengths and weaknesses as you do.
And, I've been mostly positive about the way Berry handles our off seasons. He directly addresses needs, and hits more than he misses. Very few head-scratchers.

Bottom line: At 8-9, this team was still more complete and ready for its next step than any we've had since The Return.

nice posts.
thumbsup
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jester

We are a 26-14 week 17 loss to the steelers from switching places with the Bengals.
Though Day of the Dawg has a major point about Burrow and the prospects of the 2 teams going forward.
Incorrect. Prior to the kickoff off the week 17 game against the steelers, the Browns were already knocked out of the playoffs. If the Browns, had manned up and took the initiative against the Raiders the week before,
instead of punting on 4th and 1 with a lead and less than 2 minutes, (2 minutes exactly), and the Raiders not having any time outs,
so literally a 1 yard first down on 4th and 1 from being able to take knees to get the win,
then, maybe, the Browns would have been a loss to the steelers away from switching places with the Bengals.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I've been agreeing with a lot of your posts lately.

In a recent post, I mentioned that this year's Browns team was only about half-2/3 of the team that bounced PIT from the post season. Injuries impacted everything, including O scheme and play calling. The Browns team that narrowly lost to KC in Game One looked very much like the team that finished 2020. Then, the injury/Covid dump truck backed up to 76 Groza, and emptied its entire load on us.

KS was still calling early 2021 games like 2020 until he couldn't. Lots of folks seem to miss this point.

As to your comments on Joe Burrow being the difference: agreed there, as well. Still, I have to wonder how large the gap between him and #6 would have been had BM remained healthy. I still think that a healthy Baker Mayfield this year would have gotten us into the post season along with CIN. How different would the two teams' records have looked, week-to-week? All #6 had to do was play like he did in 2020, and we'd likely still be in the tournament conversation. He was damaged, all year- and it showed on Sundays. I see no reason why we can't expect a 2020 Baker in 2022. And I'll take that prospect over any other present option.

_______

This team is closer than last year looked. It's prob. pretty hard for some fans to see, when you consider how many seasons of really bad Browns play have conditioned all of us. "Battered Dawg Syndrome" is real, bro. Some of these 2021 games felt very familiar to all of us- for good reason.

I'm with you about where we are, and what we need to do going forward. I see the same strengths and weaknesses as you do.
And, I've been mostly positive about the way Berry handles our off seasons. He directly addresses needs, and hits more than he misses. Very few head-scratchers.

Bottom line: At 8-9, this team was still more complete and ready for its next step than any we've had since The Return.

nice posts.
thumbsup

Thank You!! I appreciate that. I don't think this team is all that far off. Injuries played a major roll in 2021 and so did the schedule. The Browns still went 8-9 and had quite a few things go wrong. The Bengals won 2 more games and had a 4th place teams schedule. They won't have that luxury next year. While the Browns get the Chargers, the Texans, and Washington the Bengals will play Kansas City, Dallas, and Tennessee. The Ravens get the luxury of that last place schedule next year Playing Denver, Jax, and the Giants. They will be bouncing back. The Steelers get Colts, Eagles, and Raiders.

I have full confidence that Andrew Berry will fix the receivers group. He has a proven track record of when focused on a unit he improves them. Look at Safety last year and Offensive line the year before. I think the Browns will have an improved Baker Mayfield under center. That injury hurt him quite a bit more than people want to admit. I still do not see him as a top 10 QB in the NFL but he is just as capable of QB'ing this team to the Super Bowl if he just does what he does best and spread the ball around and let the play makers make plays. Use his feet to extend some drives and hand off. His best games are always when 8 to 9 different receivers touch the ball. He does that and this team will be fine. Only scenerio I see where the Browns go in a different scenario at QB is if the Vikings out right cut Cousins. Stefanski knows he will manage the team and not take risks. Baker is a game manager that thinks he is a gun slinger. He needs to watch film and understand who he is and he will be fine.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 05:08 PM
Burrows numbers would also be lower if he couldn't find open WR's and had a torn labrum since week 3. I mean yeah, if we had only let the guy with the torn labrum throw more that would have fixed it.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 05:12 PM
And Burrows' numbers would be lower still if he didn't have one Ja'Marr Chase. Quite often, Burrows just heaves one out there and lets Chase just go get it, and if he can't get it he draws the DPI. That's a pretty good woobie blanket to keep a QB comfy and keep things rolling.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 01/28/22 05:31 PM
True. There are multiple reasons and that's another one of them.
Posted By: Jester Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/21/22 10:12 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this though and tjhis was the best existing thread I could find, even though it isn't a great fit.

A lot of people are fans of Drake London in the draft. They love his size and how it creates mismatches with the smaller Cb's. And I agree. So here is my question. With as depleted as were were/are at Wr. Why don't we consider converting Njoku to Wr? Cb's can't handle his size. Lb's and safeties can't handle his speed out wide. It isn't as if we have a ton of Wr's that we need to get on the field because they are so talented. It isn't as if moving him significantly depletes our TE position.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/21/22 11:05 PM
Only within the opponent's 15 or closer do I want him lined up as WR. A decent decoy there as well maybe. Hands issues need to stop. Also he's the best TE we have. Blocking getting better.

Jmho.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/22/22 04:43 PM
This has been suggested several times by different media outlets. I don't know that I would advocate totally changing his position to WR. When Jimmy Graham was with the Saints he actually fought to get paid wide receiver money because they lined him up at WR so much. So to at least some extent this isn't a novel idea.

Saints' Graham gets receiver money in $40 million deal

https://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-saints-graham-contract-0715-20140715-story.html

I don't think the hybrid role the way Graham played the position is such a far fetched idea.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/22/22 05:15 PM
I don't particularly like the idea, nor do I like that it means that we'd likely have to shift WR money toward him because he has not produced well enough in the passing game to warrant that. I don't care where you line up, if you don't fill the role well, you don't deserve that pay that goes with it.

I think we're far better suited with starting off with getting some real WRs in here, seeing what they can do, then seeing how we can blend Njoku in with that. Let's face it, he's pretty good, but he isn't "we need to build around him"-good. He isn't Graham, or Kelce, or Andrews, etc.... heck, he probably isn't even Top 10 for TEs.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/22/22 05:23 PM
I hope we can bring in a good, fast WR .... a guy like Perriman, who we had back in 2018. Man, he could take the top off the defense like nobody's business. He didn't have a ton of catches, but he a big, fast WR, who could catch the ball, and who helped open things up for others as well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/22/22 05:23 PM
I obviously didn't make myself clear. I'm not an advocate for giving Njoku a huge role as a WR. That was the issue with Graham. I was simply using Graham as an example that NFL teams do line TE's up at the WR position. I would however advocate sliding Njoku out as a WR on plays that have multiple WR sets from time to time. Even if we get two or three WR's signed/drafted I think Njoku would be a good fourth option on plays that called for four WR's. Those don't happen that often but I think that would be a good wrinkle.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 06:28 PM
j/c

An interesting article in the Athletic. I doubt I can post it here as I think it is paid content. However - the bullet points to a successful offseason:

1. Prioritize offensive efficiency above all else
of the last 20 championship teams - 90% had a top 1/4 offense. Only 40% had a top 1/4 Defense.

2. Do not — under any circumstances — fall in love
Teams are never truly just one player away. (see point 6 maybe?)

3. Don’t confuse possible for probable
Multi faceted - but injuries was a big focus. Andrew Whitworth just played 15 games ... he is one of 3 OL since the merger to play 10 games or more in his 40's. He is the outlier.

4. Use free agency — not the draft — to fill needs
Sort of fill needs before the draft so you can draft BPA

5. Don’t use significant resources for competency at QB
Don't overpay for average.

6. Don’t mistake the Rams’ model for your model
nuff Said?

7. Target coaches and GMs who might be desperate
Panthers and Cardinals might be desperate - might be others. Use to your advantage if you can

8. Employ the two-minute rule
44% of games settled by 7 pints or less. If thinking about significant investment in a player - can he make a difference with the game on the line with 2 mins to go? (duh).

9. Honestly assess the abilities of your coaching staff
Don't over estimate what your coaches can get out of players.

10. Don’t overrate your ability to evaluate talent
Building teams is hard work, can be hit or miss, build in flexibility if you can.

Some parts of the article are a little obvious - others were interesting.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 06:34 PM
I like "The Plan" model. I think cfrs or Milk has that laying around somewhere.
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 06:52 PM
Do you mean "the guardrails"?

[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 07:33 PM
That's the one!
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 09:41 PM
There's a lot of good stuff there.

I did nearly bust out laughing when I saw that the only thing in CAPITAL LETTERS was Hue Jackson's epitaph.

rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 09:48 PM
My favorite is they wouldn't seem to have any issues green-lighting "coordinated leaks." Keeps things fresh and edgy!
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 09:53 PM
rofl
Posted By: jfanent Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/23/22 10:02 PM
It's nice that "analytics" is right on top where it belongs! angel
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 01:05 AM
Yeah, but people read from left to right.

#epicfail
#deposucks
#whereisthismaskedmanandwhyisheneverincleveland
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 03:51 PM
One thing that hasn't been discussed enough, IMO, is Ward. We have more pressing issues this year in terms of locking down DE opposite Garrett, but Ward is a UFA after next off-season. Dude has had some injury issues, and seems to have bouts of poor play, but always seems to bring it around by end of each year. Guy can ball. I'm curious to see how this FO handles high-priced talent retention.

For example, CB is a critical position for them, but do they continue to pour high picks into the CB room, or do they also pay talent to stay here?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 04:01 PM
Good topic and important player to highlight.

Given Greedy's issues I'd say keeping Ward should be considered a priority. Where he falls in the ability/contract discussion... I am not sure. Maybe top 10? Based on how salaries escalate - that might me $15-18M per.

https://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/
Posted By: bonefish Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 04:50 PM
IMO I would extend Ward now.

We may need franchise tags with Baker and Njoku as some point.

Ward is a proven player who is as good as any corner in football. And as the saying goes; "you can't have enough good corners."

Our secondary with the rise of Delpit and the depth that Greedy brings can be one of the best in football.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 05:47 PM
I’d be shocked if Ward is not extended this off-season.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 07:21 PM
I’d be shocked if Ward is not extended this off-season.

Agreed. Ward will be extended this off-season.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 07:26 PM
I hope so, but I think Ward is going to want, at a minimum Top 5 Cornerback money, if not highest paid, ever.

I suppose a lot might depend on what the Cornerback market will look like in the coming year and whether or not he and his agent feel he will be in high demand "at any price".
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
I hope so, but I think Ward is going to want, at a minimum Top 5 Cornerback money, if not highest paid, ever.

I suppose a lot might depend on what the Cornerback market will look like in the coming year and whether or not he and his agent feel he will be in high demand "at any price".

Ward is a top five corner so he should be pay as such.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 09:06 PM
While he has shown that talent - he has also missed a lot of games. As per the Athletic Article - don't confuse possible with probable. He's started 12 games in each the last 3 seasons. Is it probable he's going to play 17 games in each of his next 4 or 5 years? Or is it probable he will miss a similar number of games - which is about 25% of the season. While I totally get that injuries are can be totally random. There are also players who get nicked up more than others. It is a factor when you are talking about paying a guy $20 m per year with $60-70million in guaranteed money.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 09:44 PM
The question is whether you can you let him walk. The answer is pretty clearly no (especially with the emphasis this front office puts in secondary play). That means he’s getting paid.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/24/22 10:27 PM
Just a general comment.

In the end, long term you can't extend everybody. Somebody is going to end up a shocking release.

It is what it is. I am not saying it will be Ward, but given his injury history, I wouldn't be surprised, especially if he is thinking he should get top 5 money.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/26/22 06:41 PM
j/c:

Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 02/26/22 08:05 PM
I hate that the Browns FO keeps intersecting analytics with pure common sense.

Pick a side! Bunch of stooges...
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/01/22 10:34 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...lls-rb-saquon-barkley-says-gm-joe-schoen

New York Giants willing to entertain calls for RB Saquon Barkley, says GM Joe Schoen
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/02/22 05:29 AM

New York Giants willing to entertain calls for RB Saquon Barkley, says GM Joe Schoen

Chubb is a far more reliable back. I did not see that coming.
Posted By: bugs Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/03/22 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg

Chubb is a far more reliable back. I did not see that coming.

Is he better than Hunt? Can Barkley be had for less than Hunt? There lies the question.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/03/22 09:46 AM
Barkley is about 2-years younger but is already guaranteed to make more than Hunt in 2022. Both are in the final year of their contracts with Hunt scheduled to make 6.25M and Barkley, who's playing under his 5th year option rookie deal, 7.217M. I don't think the Browns can afford to continue paying two players #1 salaries for a single position. Chubb already is receiving #1 RB money (5.2M in 2022, 14.85M in 2023 and 16.2M in 2024) - surely Barkley and Hunt will be searching for the same next off season.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/04/22 08:28 PM
j/c:

I think Godwin will cost too much. Allen Robinson too...although I really, REALLY like Robinson. Cooper obviously will be expensive.

I'm happy to see, if there is truth to this, that Mike Williams is on the list. He most likely is the cheapest on this list and I feel has potential to be a legit #1 WR.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/04/22 08:36 PM
If there was ever a year to completely reshape your WR room, the 2022 FA class and draft is the year to do it.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/04/22 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
If there was ever a year to completely reshape your WR room, the 2022 FA class and draft is the year to do it.
You nailed it.
Opportunity meets need. A glorious match (hopefully).
Posted By: FATE Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/04/22 09:25 PM
I looked at the field yesterday to try to see which one of these names would get us off drafting a WR at #13.

I love Mike Williams because he provides the cheapest way to pass at 13, if that's the right move.

Options, depending on how the early part of the draft falls vs the pressure of trying to make another uber-expensive WR "fit". It just makes more sense because we will obviously double-dip and grab another WR relatively high anyway.

That insurance policy could unlock us at #13 and allow us to explore the wealth of talent at WR later. As a philosophy of "fixing" the WR room, this approach seems to have the most upside.
One of them, both of them or neither of them could end up being a true #1 right away. Doesn't really matter as long as we have enough talent to make a decision on Baker Mayfield next year.

Imma sidebar with Mac though, just to make sure the analytics work.
Posted By: Dave Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/04/22 09:37 PM
Someone on the radio said Mike Williams and Chris Godwin will get franchise tagged.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/04/22 09:47 PM
It comes down to how the FO values the WR position group compared to other position groups in FA. IMO, I'm not sure it is that high compared to QB, OL, DL, CB, and S. Luckily, we have many of those boxes checked minus DL and, arguably, QB but I don't see us drafting a QB in the first round or being in a position to trade for an QB upgrade.

The defensive line might affect where they want to commit guaranteed money, both in FA and the draft. And that is why a guy like Mike Williams could be a likely target compared to other WRs on that list.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/05/22 02:29 AM
Allen Robinson in free agency and small trade down picking up an extra pick for 2023 and drafting Traylon Burks.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/05/22 04:10 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/05/22 06:50 PM
The last time the Browns double dipped at WR in the draft was Corey Coleman, Ricardo Lewis, Jordan Peyton and Rashard Higgins, iirc.
Unless you count Harrison Bryant and David Njoku as Wrs.
Or Wait, they double dipped just last year in Schwartz and Felton if you count Felton as a WR. Don't forget Donovon Peoples-Jones.

Maybe they should draft a Quarterback and a Coach that wants to use him.
Posted By: Dave Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/05/22 07:29 PM
Massaquoi and Robiskie, about 10 years ago.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/05/22 07:53 PM
While the draft may be deep in WRs. in all the mocks I have seen, a lot of WRs are going very early. We may be able to trade back a little and still get a good pick, but I do not think we can count on getting a game changer in the second or third round.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/05/22 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Dave
Massaquoi and Robiskie, about 10 years ago.

Did you have to? Just painful.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/07/22 10:54 PM
I think we can write this guy off our wish-list:

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-wr-calvin-ridley-suspended-204700457.html

The NFL announced Monday the Atlanta Falcons wide receiver has been suspended indefinitely -- at least for the 2022 NFL season -- for gambling on NFL games during the 2021 campaign.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/08/22 12:18 AM
WGGTG!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/08/22 07:37 PM
Another one bites the dust. I wonder if he'll get the Pete Rose treatment? I highly doubt it.
Posted By: Swish Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/08/22 08:07 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ning-trade-offers-rb-christian-mccaffrey

If we don’t keep hunt, I’d take CMAC for sure
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/08/22 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Swish

We still have Nick Chubb.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/11/22 02:30 PM
Where are the Browns spending their money compared to other teams in the league as of today 3/11/2021? With approx 18M left in cap space and about 8M-9M needed for the draft, the Browns need to free up some cap space. So where is the money being spent:

LB (6 players) 8.217M Cap Dollars - 3.27% of the cap - NFL Rank 28th
Special Teams (3 players) 2.85M Cap Dollars - 1.31% of the cap - NFL Rank 27th
DL (5 players) 19.493M Cap Dollars - 8.95% of the cap - NFL Rank 25th
WR (5 players) 20.187M Cap Dollars - 9.27% of the cap - NFL Rank 20th (includes Landry's 16.379M Cap hit)
Secondary (10 players) 34.852M Cap Dollars - 16.01% of the cap - NFL Rank 12th
Quarterback (2 players) 27.291M Cap Dollars - 12.54% of the cap - NFL Rank 10th (includes Keenum's highest paid backup 8.433M Cap hit)
Running Back (4 players) 13.133M Cap Dollars - 6.03% of the cap - NFL Rank 7th
Offensive Line (14 players) 45.623M Cap Dollars - 20.96% of the cap - NFL Rank 5th (Includes Conkin's restructure)
Tight End (5 players) 26.798M Cap Dollars - 12.31% of the cap - NFL Rank 2nd (only the NEP have more cap dollars invested in the TE position than CLE - includes Njoku's franchise tag cost)

AFC North investment ranking by position:
Linebacker: Pittsburgh 3rd, Baltimore 23rd, Cincinnati 26th, Cleveland 28th
Special Teams: Baltimore 2nd, Pittsburgh 3rd, Cleveland 27th, Cincinnati 29th
Defensive Line: Pittsburgh 8th, Cincinnati 12th, Cleveland 25th, Baltimore 32nd
Wide Receiver: Cincinnati 15th, Cleveland 20th, Baltimore 24th, Pittsburgh 28th
Secondary: Cincinnati 3rd, Baltimore 6th, Cleveland 12th, Pittsburgh 22nd
Quarterback: Cleveland 10th, Baltimore 12th, Cincinnati 23rd, Pittsburgh 30th
Running Back: Cincinnati 4th, Cleveland 7th, Baltimore 13th, Pittsburgh 19th
Offensive Line: Cleveland 5th, Baltimore 8th, Cincinnati 28th, Pittsburgh 31st
Tight End: Cleveland 2nd, Baltimore 3rd, Pittsburgh 21st, Cincinnati 29th

Top Team Investment by position:
Linebacker: Los Angeles Chargers 57.412M
Special Teams: Seattle 10.543M
Defensive Line: Kansas City 64.480M
Wide Receiver: Tampa Bay 45.077M
Secondary: New Orleans 55.269M
Quarterback: Green Bay 51.451M
Running Back: Dallas 22.795M
Offensive Line: Arizona 55.429M
Tight End: New England 31.094M
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/11/22 05:42 PM
So they're not going to cut Landry to get increased cap space? Thanks.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/11/22 08:33 PM
Nobody said the Browns were not going to cut Landry. The post is saying what the Browns have invested as of today Friday March 11, 2022. Unless you have some kind of inside information that no one else in the world has - Landry is still a Cleveland Brown at this moment.

the Browns have somewhere around 17M to 18M left in available cap at this moment. 8M-9M or so will be needed for the draft so that leaves 9M to 10M give or take with no #1 or #2 WR, no Tech1 or Tech 3 DT, no DE, weak azz LB group, poor special teams and needed depth across the team. The post shows where the money is invested at this time and where they should invest due to ranking. Surely the Browns are going to free up some cap but spending that money wisely will dictate the direction the team is going and if they are actually going to be competitive. How much cap they create will also have a huge bearing on their success. Three defensive line starting positions are open and 2-3 WR positions as well. That's 5-6 positions that cannot all be filled through the draft so FA or trades is a must. 10M is not going to fill those spots so Berry needs to find, my questimation is an additional 25M-30M, the funds to field a playoff bound team. Where he gets that money is the key.

You might notice that none of the above included giving new deals to players due or coming due - like Ward for example. That throws another wrench into the pot that's going to require additional cap if it's going to be done this year. This is exactly why spending 10.9M on Njoku was a bad move. The Browns do not and absolutely should not be the 2nd highest team with investment in the TE position for bottom 25% production. Not with all the other holes that require even more urgent attention.

Anyway, in the simplest terms, the Browns need more cap space and the post shows where the money is currently invested. Take it for what it's worth.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/12/22 04:40 PM
So how will and have all these NFL teams that have little to no cap space sign their rookie draft picks then? You see, it seems you feel you're the one who has the crystal ball here. If Landry is cut, which most indications are, he will, then we have a lot more cap space. You just have all your feather ruffled over one signing, Njoku. But then as much as you go around complaining about this team and think you would make such a better GM, I completely understand "what it's worth".
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Off-season wish list. - 03/12/22 07:07 PM
I was writing a long couple paragraphs and said forget it, no one wants to read all of that. i'll get straight to the point.

They have end of season and off-season meetings for this time period.
These decisions on who to cut, who to re-sign, who to target in Free agency, who to trade/draft are all projected and laid out before hand. Franchising Njoku wasn't made on a whim. They know how much they can spend and who may/will restructure to stay under the cap and be able to field a team.
© DawgTalkers.net