Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted by boofers20
I don't know about you all, but I'd rather have d'earnest as our 3rd RB than Felton
Felton is a receiver, (not in name), and the one thing he can't do well is run the ball from a standard hand off.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Just a question: Did anyone feel Landry played a little harder today? i.e. not going down immediately after making a catch?

Injuries are something us fans don't know the whole extent about, he might of been going down early due to his injury.. Landry is a class act !

Agreed.

Why didn't/doesn't Baker get that same leeway?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Just a question: Did anyone feel Landry played a little harder today? i.e. not going down immediately after making a catch?

Injuries are something us fans don't know the whole extent about, he might of been going down early due to his injury.. Landry is a class act !

Agreed.

Why didn't/doesn't Baker get that same leeway?

Maybe because his play being injured didn't seem to help the team.. Landry and others sat, I feel Baker should of.

Baker is a fighter and loves the city, as we all saw, but when you see a QB fighting a shoulder brace and not playing up to his game, then it's time to sit and heal..

It's the whole idea of having back ups in all positions.. jmo Arch

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Got a win for the fans at home. Swept the division winner. The season is over, and the Steelers snuck in the playoffs again. Wasn't it the Colts who kept us out of the playoffs a few years back? Well this year they let the Steelers in. I now officially hate the Colts. I hope Burrow and the Bengals go all the way.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
The Browns did not get to WR Anthony Schwartz 170 yards of passes 10 yards through the air, in any 3 game window of the year.
Schwartz was only given 135 yards receiving in all 17.
(So I won't leave the board for a week and change my signature to include "A. Schwartz made a monkee outta me" until next draft.)
Good Luck! and Go Browns!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I saw some report that MKC reported that Baker has hinted at a trade. I don't know how credible that might be....but I'd say the odds are good that Baker won't be here next year.

You must’ve been in a coma the past week.

Browns coma possibly.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
- Hope D'Ernest Johnson gets paid by someone this offseason. Great story.

Agreed. Very little chance it will be us. Nor should it be.....no point paying significant $$ for a 3rd RB on the depth chart.

Is he a restricted FA? I forget all these rules....can we get something from him based on a qualifying offer?

If I was in charge I'd keep Johnson and trade Hunt. I expect we will.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know about you all, but I'd rather have d'earnest as our 3rd RB than Felton

Is it really bad to say that I’d trade Hunt to be able to keep Johnson?

No, I just said it.....obviously I am just reading and commenting as I go..so we think alike...like it or not.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

Is it really bad to say that I’d trade Hunt to be able to keep Johnson?

I'll put in an argument, then. Yes, IMO. Hunt is the better all-around back, has been a monster for us on 3rd down, and (until 2nd half of this season) has been really good on the availability side. Plus, we already have him this coming season.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
people wanting to trade Hunt and keep johnson are silly.. People seem to forget how good hunt is, he's the best overall back on this team. Also the only one with a rushing title, they won't pick Johnson over hunt unless someone comes waving some good compensation and noone is trading for a running back. I think Chubb/hunt are going to be together as long as salary allows. I do however believe that they would part with Felton before Johnson. That is who I believe is competition is. Felton has been a bust after all the hype. Johnson def. deserves a spot before Felton regardless of draft status

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by leadtheway
people wanting to trade Hunt and keep johnson are silly.. People seem to forget how good hunt is, he's the best overall back on this team. Also the only one with a rushing title, they won't pick Johnson over hunt unless someone comes waving some good compensation and noone is trading for a running back. I think Chubb/hunt are going to be together as long as salary allows. I do however believe that they would part with Felton before Johnson. That is who I believe is competition is. Felton has been a bust after all the hype. Johnson def. deserves a spot before Felton regardless of draft status

I don't think silly at all.

I am pretty sure we can sign Johnson and doubt we can sign Hunt again.

I admit I have broadened the horizon of my thinking past just next year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Which means we'll trade Hunt and lose Johnson, then still go all 3-TE, leaving Chubb off the field when we just need a yard or two.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Which means we'll trade Hunt and lose Johnson, then still go all 3-TE, leaving Chubb off the field when we just need a yard or two.

I feel you ! But at what point does your bitterness end? If I'm willing to look to the future with Baker - I also have to do the same with KS and hope he learns.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

I feel you ! But at what point does your bitterness end? If I'm willing to look to the future with Baker - I also have to do the same with KS and hope he learns.

There is no end to my bitterness. It ends when they demonstrate change and actually BEING BETTER instead of talking about it.
I don't care what the coach says, I care about what he shows. Actions, not words.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c…

Did they sit half their DLine against us???

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by slick
FIRE STEFANSKI NOW!!!!!! JUST LET THAT RAPIST INTO PLAYOFFS

As of now we don't have a temper tantrum forum. You may wish to talk to PPE about opening one up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
I was just being light hearted - what you say is true but you don't tend to post quite so negatively is all.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

There is no end to my bitterness. It ends when they demonstrate change and actually BEING BETTER instead of talking about it.
I don't care what the coach says, I care about what he shows. Actions, not words.
Over the last 3 years, we won 25 regular season games and won a playoff game. We haven't had a 3 year span with 25 or more wins since 1992, 93, and 94. So we are actually BEING BETTER...

As much as this year was a huge disappointment, a lot of that is based on preseason expectations and the talking heads making us one of the sexy picks to compete for the super bowl. Which, I think if we had stayed healthy, we could have easily made it into the playoffs and potentially made some noise. So while I share your frustration, there is no need to talk about blowing things up yet where the risk of going backwards is far greater than finding the holy grail.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I share your thinking. We wasted talent this year with coaching decisions and philosophy that were proved wrong and cost us games. The stubborn and stupid refusal to change approach and make adjustments and abandon losing choices persisted and showed up the next game. Way conservative and much too predictable. Addressing this is a priority.
But your post points up an awful truth. We were all hat and no cattle. Whoever took the field, regardless of the talent, and its disappointing underachievement, they were lousier and less than needed to win when we run them through our game plan and our coaching. Ski basically dictated the bar being lowered with his offense, packages, and game judgments. And it bled into BM's play as the year went on. And it showed in the Woods defense as called until it improved somewhat in the last few games.
Regardless of the talent we retain, draft, trade for, or sign, they pass through the prism of HC here that I feel is a demonstrated weakness and liability. We are not controlling everything we can; we are not placing our best people in the best possible situations to win best outcomes, but That is the official line. What we see on paper is not translated to the game plan as seen on the field. A frank discussion needs to be had about our play-calling on both sides of the ball. "We" were allowed to ignore losses without accountability. Our packages and formations choices cost us games, or at least failed to win the closest ones.
I am optimistic we can be better and am confident that it is inexcusable for this group to have this record. Any number of excuses can be made, their validity proven, but that just begs for more of the same. What negative outcomes would you keep and build on and expand next year? This season was upsetting to me because of less than candid and honest judgments of performance in which I include our coaching and fitness. I didn't see much improvement during the season
Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: chet the jet
O
Legend
Legend
O
j/c...

Remember 2020 when Ski had them introduce themselves and tell a story. That BS really seemed to bond them. This year nada, could be what was missing?

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/10/22 02:49 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
j/c…

I know their entire secondary were backups.

Pretty sure their starting OL and DL were also all backups.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So an injured QB with a messed up shoulder shouldn't change the game plan and how much of the playbook a HC can use? Those two things are not related to one another?

Interesting concept.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oddly, I think they were, and I think Ski didn't much change. If you relate them, so be it. Don't suggest explaining it away out of hand. The interesting concept is that a QB's injury would monopolize the game plan that didn't work more than once. Many factors I admit. I still feel HC needs to learn from mistakes and adjust. Silly to argue otherwise.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm certainly not trying to argue otherwise. Sorry if that was your impression. I'm just saying that a second year HC who had a QB and team healthy enough to pretty much stick to his playbook in his first season had to adjust on the fly during his second season. I don't think that's something an NFL HC is experiencing for the first time is going to find easy or do smoothly. I certainly do hope he learns from the experience.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Interesting to see the PFF grades.

While watching the game I noticed Hudson really holding his own at RT.

I was thinking Callahan must have really worked with him after the beat down he had against Watt.

So that is a good sign that he learned a few things.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So an injured QB with a messed up shoulder shouldn't change the game plan and how much of the playbook a HC can use? Those two things are not related to one another?

Interesting concept.

I didn't see a ton of difference in playcalling between that Keenum game and the previous Baker games (that could be my eye for football, though). I saw Baker execute QB sneaks until his last game in there (as did Keenum late in this game). I couldn't see any sort of significantly different approach by KS between Baker's last game, and Keenum's.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by LexDawg
j/c…

I know their entire secondary were backups.

Pretty sure their starting OL and DL were also all backups.

This is true, Hendrickson, Hill, Reader, Hubbard, Pratt, Gaither, Logan Wilson were all absent in addition to the secondary players...Thus why our Oline shined, especially OT

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"Interesting to see the PFF grades.

While watching the game I noticed Hudson really holding his own at RT.

I was thinking Callahan must have really worked with him after the beat down he had against Watt.

So that is a good sign that he learned a few things."

Could also be that he was going against a 2nd string DL vs the DPOY.

1 member likes this: tru_dawgs
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
j/c...

Remember 2020 when Ski had them introduce themselves and tell a story. That BS really seemed to bond them. This year nada, could be what was missing?
In a lot of ways we seemed to stray from what was working last season. Obviously we aren’t in the locker room, but there was a real sense that we had no cohesion

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I dunno. I think the way the D kept playing in spite of everything going on on the offensive side is a testament to the coaching staff (or at least some).

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don' think the difference in play calls when Keenum plays and an injured Baker are playing is the issue. Keenum doesn't have the arm strength that a healthy Baker does. Keenum doesn't even have the escapability that a healthy Baker does. Whether Baker is injured or whether Keenum is playing, I think in both cases it limits the playbook.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T

How many games in the past 2 years, have they been without at least one of Hunt and Chubb, I mean, it's almost all of the games right?
I mean Chubb and Hunt only played together in the same game about how many times? (swag) scientific wild as guess) 4 games last year and 4 games this year??? So about 24, or 25 games out of 33, D'Ernest was the 2nd of 3-4 Rbs on the team. (and (1) or 2 games the starter?)
I'd sure like to see them all back at Running back, sure would, like all 3. (and add that, player from (U. of South Carolina, in the draft but thats' just a dream)

Legend
Legend
How many games in the past 2 years, have they been without at least one of Hunt and Chubb, I mean, it's almost all of the games right?
I mean Chubb and Hunt only played together in the same game about how many times? (swag) scientific wild as guess) 4 games last year and 4 games this year???
They played together in 12 games last year and 7 games this year.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'm curious to know what CLE's w/l record was for those 19 games.

I just got home from work, I'm nursing a nice bourbon, and am too lazy to look it up myself.

any Bloodhounds out there who get off on this type of sniffing around?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
F
Legend
Legend
F
Nick Chubb has 449 carries for 2,356 yards and has scored 18 touchdowns in 27 games with Kareem Hunt in his career.
Kareem Hunt has 240 carries for 1,086 yards and has scored 17 touchdowns in 27 games with Nick Chubb in his career.
They are 17/10 in those games

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I'm curious to know what CLE's w/l record was for those 19 games.

I just got home from work, I'm nursing a nice bourbon, and am too lazy to look it up myself.

any Bloodhounds out there who get off on this type of sniffing around?
Well, let's cut straight to the important part... Watcha drinkin', boss?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Woodford Reserve

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Nice. I was half-way down the Rabbit Hole.

[Linked Image from cdn.flaviar.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Gameday vs Cincinnati Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard