Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I hope he stays. Is it realistic? I have a feeling he might light it up elsewhere.

What about the Hooper money?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Offseason wish list. Interview Dolphins former HC Brian Flores on 3 things,
1. new ideas on how to play defense
2. new ideas on how to beat the ravens
3. how to add him to the Browns coaching staff as an add on that doesn't displace anything or anybody already in place.

exec. VP of game day adjustment consultation.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Yes Njoku makes some of those great catches, but at the same time he drops the easiest ones. It's almost like the first thought when he sees the ball coming it, "Will this catch make the highlight reel?", and if it won't then effort drops to 40%.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I agree with 100% of your post.

The man is a physical beast. He's improved. But he still has 'WTF' moments - good and bad.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I have been on/off with Njoku since he was drafted.

At first he was all sizzle no steak. Athletic freak could not catch.

Then he could not block to save his life.

He has worked hard to become a good all around player and he is still young. I would sign him for sure.

Hooper i would try and trade asap.

Harrison Bryant is a guy who can catch and is developing. Hooper is holding the TE production back.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In 2022, Hooper will earn a base salary of $9,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,250,000 and a dead cap value of $11,250,000. With these numbers, parting with Hooper would be cause for a major cap hit. Njoku was paid 6 million on his 5th year option. Though possible, I don't expect that Njoku is going to take a team discount to remain with the Browns considering the Browns are currently taking a $13,250,000 cap hit for Hooper. If you believe that Hooper's contract is bad and he's not living up to that fee (even though the Browns are not playing to his skill set and he came to the Browns with a history that warranted a big deal), it would hard to explain the thought process on giving Njoku a raise and long-term deal for his history of poor production, 148 catches and 1,754 yards over the last 5-years. I am pretty certain the Browns cannot and will not pay over 20 million per season for the TE position that's used mainly for blocking in Stefanski's scheme not withstanding the failure to play to their skill sets.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

If we want production out of Hooper, or anyone else for that matter, we have to feed them the ball.

I think we have to understand that TE numbers on this team are going to be diluted because we play 3 of them a high percentage of the time while other teams play 1 a high percentage of the time.

If you took any 1 of our TE's and "gave" them, say 85% of the other TE's production numbers, we would probably have 1 decent TE.

I just don't feel like going through the numbers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
I would like to see the Browns acquire a beast of a TE we want to use multiple TEs in our schemes - lets get a beast in there. So far we got 3 OK to Good TEs but I see no beasts and tiny hands Bryant having the sure hands in the group...to many drops by Hooper and Njoku. Make it a nightmare for D's to stop the run with our 3 TE 1 WR Offense - run Chubb, Hunt or Dernest then UNLEASH THE BEAST.

I would like also a legit RT to be on the team. Conklin is good when Healthy problem is he has not been Healthy much - Get a Yute in there to match Wills

On D - resign Clowney and get a beast at DT - I see many Mocks having us take Leal at DT but quite frankly I prefer Jordan Davis. That kid could be something special with Garrett and Clowney on the DL

we seem to be OK at LB and our DBs - JOK is a good Leader and wed got Ward, Newsome at CB with Hill, Greedy, Green and our safties all seem to be the makings of an amazing D when Healthy.
Shore up the depth on the DL - time for Elliiot to step up.

We can use a young booming punter there are many in college this year. Lets make punting a weapon!

jmho outside of good health we don't "NEED" much but I'm telling you all, in this O that Ski runs a stud TE is a must no just OK....2 out of the 3 OK is acceptable but that 3rd must be a BEAST!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
What do we think the market for Njoku is actually going to be? If we let him go, it's not like he's going to go unsigned... but the dude has never 'lit it up' like he was supposed to since day 1. What's his competition on the TE market this off-season?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I find it interesting how honest JJ3 seems to be about our shortcomings. That’s probably a good thing granted he is correct and the constructive criticism is taken to heart.

I don’t see how a yoga person would be a big deal, even with covid.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
For all I know, they have someone available, but not available enough for JJ3. I'm trying not to pull a mac here, but it's hard when people on here have been saying "they should really implement yoga", and I myself have, as I've gotten older, very easily added yoga to my routine to help stay healthy playing beer league hockey, and then you have one of your starters saying that it'd be great to have a yoga person (on top of saying they needed to have a better relationship with the strength staff).

add:
https://sportsnaut.com/xx-pro-athletes-teams-that-practice-yoga/

The Seattle Seahawks have a mandatory yoga practice. This article was written April 2021.

Last edited by oobernoober; 01/11/22 10:08 AM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
The Hooper deal is poison financially so he has to be traded.

That is the only way out. If they could get a swing tackle for him. That would be a good thing.

Jarvis is the guy I struggle with. I really like him. But you can not justify his money. He has to take less or be gone.

He will be thirty. He is limited in what he can do. He is not a number one receiver. He could have a role but I am not sure how that will play out.

Legend
Legend
don't forget that the Cap really blooms upward this year with the new TV deal kicking in. Under it, those bigger contracts aren't so big any longer. Landry's money is suddenly a much smaller piece of the pie, and when you view how much is available to the WR group when you keep ratios/percentages equal, there is a ton of room to keep him and bring in more talent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns can get some WR's but they will not attract top talent if they continue using the same predictable scheme with Stefanski calling the plays. If you're going to scheme a run first offense with 3-TE sets and have a pass attack throwing 200 times fewer than the top 10 teams then you absolutely will have serious trouble drawing quality WR's through FA. Add to that fact Hooper will be a very hard trade because of his contract and the lack of use the last two years and you have a disgruntled weak receiving group with no true #1 WR.

Legend
Legend
The receiver room is big question mark to me.

I think we have seen what DPJ is. At best a number two receiver.

Schwartz is a disappointment. His speed is usleless. He avoids contact. He does not win 50/50 balls. He has a rookie deal so he is cheap. If he does not show a significant improvement in camp. I would cut him.

Jarvis is a pro. He knows how to play. If we can make a deal that makes sense I would keep him. If not I would release him.

Higgins is gone.

The cupboard is bare. We need help. At least two free agents. And most likely two in the draft to develop. If there is a total stud at 13 that you are sure about. I might draft one there. But I more interested in a pass rusher at 13; no matter if Clowney signs or not.

Clowney will have to be offered a fair market deal or he will leave. I think he wants to play in warm weather.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know about giving Hooper more targets. Even though his targets are down from before he was in CLE, and not near the number of targets that top-tier TEs get, since we signed him he has more drops than any other NFL TE. And despite having more targets than Njoku this year, Njoku has 130 yards more than Hooper, and one more touchdown. If Hooper was all that, IMO he would make more of the targets he does get. He needs to do more with the opportunities he does get. This season the only thing he has in common with top-tier TEs is salary. He catches like his hand are encased in concrete, and he runs like his feet are encased in concrete. He is one of the worst FA signings we've had since the return. I read where cutting him saves us 9.5M on the cap. I think it would be worth it. It's not hard to replace what little production he gives us.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IMO Hooper takes targets away from Njoku.

Njoku will be worth signing. He will not get a huge deal. So he will be affordable.

He wants to be here and he has played hard.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Berry in.GM speak said basically Landry isnt coming back
His friend OBJ was released mid season. I think at that point
You can close the book on Landry coming back.
Landry doesnt want to be any longer. Dont be surprised if he is
OBJs team mate somewhere on friendly deals.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Dead cap money is 11.25 million if Hooper is cut. As far as Njoku goes, whether you like him or not, he played on a 6.0 million dollar deal in 2021 and to think that he would sign for less at age 26 with what may be his final contract is very wishful thinking. He will test the market for sure unless the Browns offer more than 6 million and if they do it would a very bad deal for what he's produced.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know about that. Landry came here with out "his friend" being on the team. I have no clue what you are talking about that Berry said in "GM speak" that would cause you to think Landry isn't coming back.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
Dead cap money is 11.25 million if Hooper is cut.

The Browns can spread the dead cap space a bit with Hooper. A post 6-1 release or trade and Hooper would have a dead cap of $3.75M in 2022 and dead cap of $7.5M in 2023. The new TV deals begin in 2023 and that's when the salary cap will skyrocket so there is that option should the Browns really want to move on.

Having said that, the Browns will likely stick with Hooper one more season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/austin-hooper-19035/

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't know about that. Landry came here with out "his friend" being on the team. I have no clue what you are talking about that Berry said in "GM speak" that would cause you to think Landry isn't coming back.

Berry had another press conference where he says next to nothing. Landry may or may not be back.

Here is what Berry said about Landry...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Berry in.GM speak said basically Landry isnt coming back
His friend OBJ was released mid season. I think at that point
You can close the book on Landry coming back.
Landry doesnt want to be any longer. Dont be surprised if he is
OBJs team mate somewhere on friendly deals.

They might be friends, but I don't think being on the same team was such a positive experience for either of them. Berry gave no hint as to whether Jarvis would be back or not, unless you're deciphering some code that most others aren't picking up on.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Sure players say these things before exit interviews... He knows no other team will pay him or want him...

He's okay, playing better then his first 4 years..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Folks, we won't miss a dag gum thing if Njoku leaves. Harrison Bryant is out best TE.

If we want a star TE, feed Bryant the way the Ravens feed Andrews and we will get similar numbers. Andrews had 107 receptions on 157 targets. Bryant had 28 targets and 21 receptions...1 drop.

Going back to something I mentioned earlier....the Browns TE's had 95 receptions on 140 targets. I am just counting the top 3 guys who play the position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Andrews excels in catching balls in traffic, contested throws, etc. Bryant does not. Bryant shows reliable hands (other than onside kicks) when he is wide open, and this season that is about the only time we threw to him. He does not have the physicality to a primary tight end. I cannot see him being anything more than a situational TE.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not sure how you arrive at that conclusion? My feeling is 21 catches on 28 targets, 1 drop supports my thinking at least a bit more.

But, it is all speculation.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm a big Bryant fan myself. I think his head was swimming his first season, and he came back this season and did a lot of good things. I think he's the type of TE we need more of (solid if unspectacular but overall effective). He's not Njoku, though. Njoku is a matchup nightmare and a physical monster. Njoku (especially with his upgraded blocking) should be a yards monster and a headache for DCs, but he's not for whatever reason (separate conversation). I'd love for Bryant to step into Hooper's spot of running those easy short routes with precision and getting easy yards when the chunk plays aren't there.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
He knows no other team will pay him or want him...

To say another team won't "pay him what he wants" may be true. Otherwise you are wrong.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Take a look at Bryant's blocking ability.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I am not sure how you arrive at that conclusion? My feeling is 21 catches on 28 targets, 1 drop supports my thinking at least a bit more.

But, it is all speculation.

I am not saying he doesn't deserve more opportunities. I just don't see him filling the role of a 100-target player. His rookie season he was unable to catch a contested ball. This year, I don't remember us even trying to throw one to him. He was pretty reliable with the opportunities he got, but those were all with him pretty open. Props to catching most of them. But he is not going to get Andrews-level targets if he cannot catch in traffic.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I tried to do a quick look, and I'm not seeing consistency in his rankings (one article has him at or near abysmal, and the other has him as best of the bunch).

For myself, I didn't see his blocking jump off the screen either way while I saw a few whiffs by Hooper (translation: my eyes didn't see anything to complain about, but take it for what it's worth).

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't know that my OLD eye's are any better than yours , but he needs a lot of work in that department .

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
Dead cap money is 11.25 million if Hooper is cut. As far as Njoku goes, whether you like him or not, he played on a 6.0 million dollar deal in 2021 and to think that he would sign for less at age 26 with what may be his final contract is very wishful thinking. He will test the market for sure unless the Browns offer more than 6 million and if they do it would a very bad deal for what he's produced.

A pre-June 1st release still nets a $2 million cap savings for 2022, despite having the $11 million in dead money. A post-June 1st release allows that to increase to over $9 million.
Moving on from Hooper and that contract is very feasible.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I know none of our TEs are named Andrews, Kelce, or Kittle but outside of one 71 yard catch-and-run by Njoku, our TEs all act like they've been tased once they catch the ball. Hooper especially goes all jelly-legged after a catch. I do like Njoku as a target in the red zone, and he's young enough with enough upside to warrant keeping around, IMO.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Just say noooo. Sign a FA from 49'ers, Vikings, etc. (Tyler Conklin, Ross Dwelley)

Draft Brock Bowers from GA in 2023.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Bryant and Hooper are used between the 20s. Njoku is your red zone guy. In my opinion, you play 12-personnel (1-RB; 2-TE) with two speed-receivers.

With that said, I was hoping Schwartz showed more this season. I still think all Cleveland needs is another Schwartz-like receiver to complement. Get one in FA and one in the draft. Once Cleveland lost OBJ they lost their deep threat. DPJ wasn't enough to demand attention.

Use the TEs as the possession receivers. DPJ is enough speed but Berry needs to keep adding more.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh have run average-type receivers with a strong TE for decades usually a speed-receiver with a possession receiver.

As fans, I think we overcomplicate things. When in reality, Cleveland simply needs to have enough playmakers to overwhelm the defense and overcome injuries.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
going to be interesting
If karlatis drops to us we could have a dl that has Clowney,Myles,McDowell ,and karlatis this would give you the runaway sack champion of the nfl.
You bring up excellent points but I would prefer to take chances on some injured 1 receiver like Godwin and Gallup.
there is a excellent chance that Justyn Ross,Mechi,or or Williams drops to us then take them.
this guaranteees are offensive line gets attention plus defensive line plus when they are healthy a top 15 WR set.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
to be honest if they cut Landry so Haslem leads in money not spent this team is headed to last place no matter who they draft.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
For one Stefanski needs to dissolve the 13-personel 3 TE offense. But I think he favors
That kind of offense to.hide Mayfields shortcomings as a QB .
That particular offense is low risk high completion type offense.
It's not designed to stretch the field vertically by any means
It's more for horizontal routes like drags, whip routes , sit down routes.
And some are saying they want the Browns to take a playmaking matchup nightmare
For a TE in the draft.
Well if you run 3-TEs as your base offense then that TE that some are desiring will have
His targets diluted due to the nature of the offense
The Ravens dont run 13- as a base offense. Neither do the Chiefs or 49ers

Its funny how some say they are disappointed in the WRs.
Well look.at their resumes.
Peoples Jones was average at Michigan. Guess what he is average at the NFL level
Takes him forever to reach top end speed
Anthony Schwartz was a reach. He sucked at Auburn
He knows one route. The smoke route.
How many great WRs has Auburn ever produced?
Maybe Andrew Berry should draft a WR from a school that has a track record of
Producing top flight NFL WRs.
Let Landry walk. Good downfield blocker but a meh WR. Not exactly a end zone threat ever.

The Browns need a serious difference maker at WR. Ask the Chiefs or Bengals or Cowboys
What having stud WRs equates too.

RT is spot that has to be addressed. Conklin is slowly falling apart
Move Willis to RT and find a LT long term

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season wish list.

Link Copied to Clipboard