Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
[quote][/quote]j/c

Hey all- I just found this, and thought it was interesting.
Check this out:

Covid loses '90pc of its infectiousness within five minutes of being airborne'

Coronavirus loses 90 per cent of its infectiousness within five minutes of becoming airborne, a new study has suggested.
Preliminary data from the University of Bristol reveals that in a real world situation the conditions of the air dry out the viral particles.
The team measured how stable SARS-CoV-2 droplets – the virus which causes Covid – are over time, ranging from five seconds to 20 minutes.

“A decrease in infectivity to approximately 10 per cent of the starting value was observable for SARS-CoV-2 over 20 minutes, with a large proportion of the loss occurring within the first 5 minutes after aerosolisation,” the scientists write in the paper.

The findings indicate that the virus does not survive for long outside the warm and damp environment of a host's respiratory system, and loses its potency rapidly in the wild.

'Near instant loss of infectivity in 50 to 60pc of the virus'

The study, which has not yet been published in full or peer-reviewed, shows that in air with 50 per cent humidity, akin to that circulated in large buildings, there is a “near-instant loss of infectivity in 50 to 60 per cent of the virus”.

At much higher humidity, the droplet does not dry out instantly and remains fluid for longer, which means the virus remains stable and infectious for two minutes.

However, even under these favourable conditions the virus loses 90 per cent of its infectiousness after ten minutes.

“It means that if I’m meeting friends for lunch in a pub today, the primary [risk] is likely to be me transmitting it to my friends, or my friends transmitting it to me, rather than it being transmitted from someone on the other side of the room,” Prof Jonathan Reid, the study’s lead author from the University of Bristol, told The Guardian.

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said that the study suggests airborne spread “may not be as important as some have thought”.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-loses-90pc-infectiousness-within-192738828.html

Like the article said, these are preliminary findings, with no substantiation yet from peer review. However, if these results can be verified, it will potentially change (yet again) the ways in which we deal with this virus. We keep learning more about this novel virus a wee keep researching/fighting it. That is good. Ordinary folks' best practice: stay up on the (real) news, trust your doctors, and stay open to new approaches, as new information comes in.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I don't quite understand the conclusion of this study (or at least, the comment by Paul Hunter at the end, which may be an outside comment and not the result of the study)?

5 minutes is a really long time for air circulation. The standard requirement for air circulation in offices and stores is 4 changes/hour (so more or less all the air in the room is replaced every 15 minutes).

Air within a room circulates much faster than that (compared to how fast it is being pushed in and pulled out by the small fans at the corners). For comparison - think about standing in one side of a room when somebody sprays perfume on the other side - you will notice in way less than 5 minutes.

~Lyuokdea
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
I hate reading an eye catching headline and finding that the story doesn't quite live up to the hype.

First we have the bold, eye catching statement: "Covid loses '90pc of its infectiousness within five minutes of being airborne"

Then 4 lines down we have: "“A decrease in infectivity to approximately 10 per cent of the starting value was observable for SARS-CoV-2 over 20 minutes", (meaning 90% over 20 minutes, not 5 minutes).
This statement was followed by: "with a large proportion of the loss occurring within the first 5 minutes after aerosolisation,” with no specific number
given for this "large proportion". They tested from 5 seconds to 20 minutes and printed specific numbers for all other situations they bring up, just not where they need it most to support the headline.

To make things confusing, later when it talks of a higher humidity envronment, it says the conditions are more favorable to the virus but "it loses 90 per cent of its infectiousness after ten minutes", which seems more supportive of the headline.

There's no link to the actual study in the article.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
My conclusion/translation: drier air to go with that social distancing means higher success rate in this cat-and-mouse game we're all playing.

I heard a story on NPR on how money is being made available to schools and such to upgrade HVAC systems. This article might be helpful in making those types of decisions.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I'm sure that's what the message is, but resorting to clickbait and not backing up your statement will make people take it with a grain of salt. There was no need for that at all in this case.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I do hear what you're saying.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With all due respect, please stop posting things from a Sandy Hook denier.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but I was wondering if anyone has had any side effects from the Pfizer booster? I had zero reaction to the first two shots (also Pfizer), but after getting the booster yesterday I feel like [bleep]. Injection arm is very sore, chills, a little feverish, and a good deal of fatigue. Nothing I can't put up with, but a little concerning.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I had a sore arm after 2 and the booster. After 2, I just felt very tired and fell asleep. No other side effects after the booster besides the sore arm. A coworker of mine had everything you mentioned though. Crazy how things hit people differently.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Dave
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dave
Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but I was wondering if anyone has had any side effects from the Pfizer booster? I had zero reaction to the first two shots (also Pfizer), but after getting the booster yesterday I feel like [bleep]. Injection arm is very sore, chills, a little feverish, and a good deal of fatigue. Nothing I can't put up with, but a little concerning.

Yes, I did. It hit me with a fever and fatigue the next day. Not so much for a sore arm.

I was fine a day later

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Dave
Legend
Legend
Dave I had zero side effects with the first two shots. On the Booster I got the sore arm, and the next day felt like crap, but it cleared up within 24 hours.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks guys - feeling better this morning. Slept over 9 hours last night, which never happens.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Have they come out with any guidance as far as how long the original vaccine is 'good' for? I'm waiting for actual results/assessment as to when your original vaccination is no longer considered 'enough'. I read that they know that your 'protected-ness' begins to erode only a couple months after your second shot.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I can only speak to my personal situation. I got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine in February of last year. In my regular testing for work I’ve shown a strong antibody response up until a couple weeks back. I’m now scheduled for my booster next week. About 11 months in between.
My girlfriend got the Pfizer vaccine around the same time. Her antibodies waned months ago. She got boosted a couple months back.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Have they come out with any guidance as far as how long the original vaccine is 'good' for? I'm waiting for actual results/assessment as to when your original vaccination is no longer considered 'enough'. I read that they know that your 'protected-ness' begins to erode only a couple months after your second shot.
I think omicron has been a game changer. It doesn't seem to care about the vaccine or booster. "Protected-ness" is now nothing more than a guess for all intents and purposes. In all fairness, the same seems to be true with natural immunity.

Anecdotal, yes, but here's a tale of my two sisters... One sister, scared to death of Covid but got it in late '20, before the vax. Was vaccinated and got a booster in early November, '21... got covid again just before Christmas.

Other sister, unvaccinated... Covid in late '20. Got the vaccine around August of '21... covid again around Thanksgiving '21... covid AGAIN five weeks later.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think Omicron certainly breaks through the vaccine but has still been proven to happen less per capita in the vaccinated than the unvaccinated. However the death count has gone up from over 1300 a day a few weeks ago to over 1700 daily average over the past week. Serious cases requiring hospitalization, that result in long haul Covid and death are still much higher in those who have not been vaccinated.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not arguing any of that, just speaking to "protected-ness" as it relates to oober's question. Will the vaccine or booster prevent you from getting covid? Not anywhere near as much as social distancing, washing your hands and wearing a mask. Guess which approach most Americans threw out the window months ago?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with what you're saying either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
Not arguing any of that, just speaking to "protected-ness" as it relates to oober's question. Will the vaccine or booster prevent you from getting covid? Not anywhere near as much as social distancing, washing your hands and wearing a mask. Guess which approach most Americans threw out the window months ago?

I agree. The inoculation lessens the sickness, at least to this point. It doesn't do much to prevent spread or keeping a person from being positive and being a spreader.

Sooner or later most of us are going to get it if we already haven't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
All I know is I got covid 2 years ago, before it was 'covid'. 2 to 2 1/2 weeks of exhaustion, sore throat a few days, night sweats a couple of days, congestion, cough, etc. I didn't feel TERRIBLE. Just bad.

Got the J and J Good Friday of last year. Got covid this past December - Christmas day was when I tested. And I only did that because I had a bit of nasal congestion and we had a family Christmas that evening. I didn't go. I was a good boy. Avoided my wife. Slept upstairs, didn't feel bad, at all, other than tired. I cancelled MOST of my jobs, and didn't schedule others until after my 10 days. Did a couple of jobs, but those were in empty buildings with me being the only 1 there.

Daughter got it. She tested twice before she went up north for vacation with 10 others. She only found out she had it because they took her to the e.r. for chest pain. EKG was fine, but the test was positive for covid.

So, I've had it twice. Got vaxxed, just got a booster last week.

It's just a crazy thing, this covid. Some get it and have no idea, some get it and die.

What irks me is I know of 3 people that had 'symptoms' just as I did, but they kept on doing their thing. It's like, "great, you feel fine. So did I. But you can still spread it!"

Wife has not had it. She got the J and J when I did last year. My daughter also works in a hospital where there are many covid patients, so we don't even know if she got it from me or not.

Legend
Legend
There's no rhyme of reason to a lot of this, particularly in my personal experience. I got it this time on NYE. I had just kissed my wife mere hours before experiencing symptoms. We just assumed she would test positive as well. Hell, we drove back to Fort Wayne in the same car for four hours. The next day, she returned to work and stopped in "the tent" to inform them that her husband tested positive. "No biggie, if you're not experiencing symptoms; come on in and do your job!" They said to go to the testing site the following day before her shift... she tested negative.

Meanwhile, my son tested positive. He had spent a grand total of one hour in the same house, with all of us masked... just stopped by to say goodbye before we returned to Indiana. He was around no other humans the previous two days as we had him stay in our rental, empty since the in-laws returned to Florida five days prior.

Legend
Legend
Not anywhere near as much as social distancing, washing your hands and wearing a mask. Guess which approach most Americans threw out the window months ago?

Not us.
The instant we heard about Omicron, we went back to masks. Handwashing has been a regular habit. Distancing is a little difficult, as no one near us seems to care. We're essentially homebodies anyway, and those few friends we see are pretty much like us, too. No eating out; we bring it home.

At work, I'm at least 50 ft away from the nearest audience members, and all my mates (like me) are regularly tested and fully vaxed. We use a separate entrance, and never interact with the crowd. Intermissions have been scrapped for now, and folks are distanced in the house.

We've done what we can, and will continue to do so. It's called citizenship.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Yep. Aside from all the "bickering" we've done as humans over what's fair, what works, who the bad guys are, etc... there is a lot to be said for simple common sense. I avoided all brick and mortar over Christmas, except for that one last-minute trip to WallyWorld... I was astounded, and basically pissed off at humanity. Hundreds of people in the store and about a dozen wearing masks. I get it, most people aren't worried, but at the time (and still) we have hospitals turning people away. Citizenship, civic duty, it's not that hard. On one hand, I don't begrudge anyone their right to live on their own terms; on the other, we all sit around arguing about "science" and become walking, breathing laboratory rats... and pretty dumb ones at that.

Happy to say, at least here in Indiana, it seems people are starting to "wise up". Had to do some shopping today and probably half the population had a mask on their face. It was a pleasant surprise.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
Yep. Aside from all the "bickering" we've done as humans over what's fair, what works, who the bad guys are, etc... there is a lot to be said for simple common sense. I avoided all brick and mortar over Christmas, except for that one last-minute trip to WallyWorld... I was astounded, and basically pissed off at humanity. Hundreds of people in the store and about a dozen wearing masks. I get it, most people aren't worried, but at the time (and still) we have hospitals turning people away. Citizenship, civic duty, it's not that hard. On one hand, I don't begrudge anyone their right to live on their own terms; on the other, we all sit around arguing about "science" and become walking, breathing laboratory rats... and pretty dumb ones at that.

Happy to say, at least here in Indiana, it seems people are starting to "wise up". Had to do some shopping today and probably half the population had a mask on their face. It was a pleasant surprise.

In my neck of the woods, you don't have to go far to experience the entire range of the spectrum. Walmart deep in Hamilton... there's always a good chance you're bringing something home, and that was true before COVID.

With vaccines, and the first batch of specialized treatments nearly here, I'm excited for people's decisions about their health only affecting themselves.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The same actually goes for the Kroger on Tylersville oddly enough.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well my son has COVID again. The first time hit him hard with a fever wheezing and aching. This time, just a slight fever and cold symptoms. He's been vaccinated and had his booster just last week. He works for the post office and their COVID pay stopped on 12/31, so he's going without pay until his boss figures out what the quarantine restrictions are. (He doesn't qualify for sick pay yet). My brother is still recovering a month later, still on oxygen but able to get around the house without gasping for breath. My other brother, his wife and 2 of his adult children were all positive with minor to no symptoms. They were vaccinated.

My wife and I have been lucky, we're careful and minding our p's and q's. We both had some bad cold symptoms a while back but tested negative. I think it's just a matter of time, everyone will be infected before it's all said and done.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hope everyone recovers quickly, my friend. People have been going down left and right on my son’s basketball team. The season is being rescheduled and postponed everywhere. It’s crazy.

Also glad to hear your son didn’t get hit hard this time around. Perhaps a testament to vax vs non-vax?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Dave

My first Pfyzer shot was nothing, the second was just a tired feeling, my booster though kicked my butt for a couple days. Saying that, after my second shot and booster i noticed I was out of breath walking up hill from about 2 weeks after each shot to about 4 months on the earlier one, and still after the booster. I have walked about an hour a day 5-7 days a week for 8-10 years in hot weather or cold (down to zero) and never experienced it before. My PCP and my heart doctor just shrugged when I mentioned it. They said they had not heard anything. Seems liek more than a coincidence.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
My first Pfyzer shot was nothing, the second was just a tired feeling, my booster though kicked my butt for a couple days. Saying that, after my second shot and booster i noticed I was out of breath walking up hill from about 2 weeks after each shot to about 4 months on the earlier one, and still after the booster. I have walked about an hour a day 5-7 days a week for 8-10 years in hot weather or cold (down to zero) and never experienced it before. My PCP and my heart doctor just shrugged when I mentioned it. They said they had not heard anything. Seems liek more than a coincidence.

No coincidence.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by dawglover05

You think so? I go there every once in a while and never thought it was that bad. The new Kroger near 4 and 747, on the other hand.

-PrplPplEater
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Well my wife and I are both vaccinated, we both have had symptoms since Saturday, coughing, sneezing, runny noses, slight fevers, diarrhea, her work said she can come back to work after no symptoms for 72 hours. Still waiting for my work ro get to me. Daughter has no symptoms and her work said she can go to work today.

Legend
Legend
Sorry to hear - my wife just recently got over her covid infection... our house has had it at least twice... my son has had it twice and wife once.... thankfully I haven't had it either time... did work from home a bit to be safe

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by dawglover05

You think so? I go there every once in a while and never thought it was that bad. The new Kroger near 4 and 747, on the other hand.

Maybe I’m just jaded from going there for the last 12 years, but I always come out with a story every couple of months. The latest one - about a month ago, right before Christmas, some little boy asked a lady, who I presumed was his grandma, if he could buy candy. She goes off and yells “NOT THIS S*** AGAIN!!!” Zero concern for the crowd around her.

Funny stories happen there too though. Around the same time, I was doing self checkout. The employee there was helping another customer check and out and then says “Okay, now just let it know you’re ready to pay” and the dude shouts at the machine: “I’M READY TO PAY.” The employee had to keep helping him, but I’m glad I had a mask on because I was laughing pretty hard.

For me it’s always a stark contrast going there vs the market place up at Liberty.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
LOL... well I consider seeing stuff like that as perks of going there.

My usual Kroger is the Marketplace on 747. If you go at certain times, there's a good chance you're going to see something weird. Like that dude that was loudly LOSING IT when he couldn't find Octoberfest in the beer aisle the Friday night before Halloween (because they had stocked up on Christmas Ale). It's really annoying when people play music loud when they're shopping, but the one guy that was dancing to it in the aisles with his horrified SO trailing behind him was hilarious.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
On a hunch, I ran across this next article, and imo, it appears some things never change. Big Businesses chase profit.
This was found searching, were cigarettes good for you in the 1940s, (hint, They Were NOT). but, see, what were people saying.
https://theconversation.com/smoking...but-how-did-they-ever-get-so-high-107185

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

No coincidence.

I agree.

Also your doctor should know what it could very well be from.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes they should. And they never heard of it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c...

CDC says 2/3 of you who felt any effects from vaccine or booster are just wrapped up in your own feelings... it's the "nocebo effect"...

https://nypost.com/2022/01/20/nocebo-effect-blamed-for-some-covid-vaccine-symptoms-study/

Legend
Legend
Well, it was bound to happen. The wife and I tested positive today. Just moderate cough and cold symptoms for both of us, and she has a headache that she can't shake. We're both fully vaccinated and boostered. My wife and MIL went to babysit for my niece on Saturday, and her 4yo son started coughing and had a fever while they were there. The niece, her husband and son all tested positive on Sunday. My MIL who lives with us started coughing on Tuesday and tested positive on Thursday. Then it hit us. Nobody involved has severe symptoms so far, and hopefully this is as bad as it gets.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Covid Booster Vax #3 Booster Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard