Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Carr is as average as they come.

I will take a healthy Baker over him all day.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by EveDawg
jc

You people are delusional if you think we will somehow aquire a QB better than Baker.

I think there are more QBs that are better than Baker Mayfield than you do.

And you believe we can realistically aquire how many of them?

Most of them aren’t available to get. Someone like Derek Carr? We can get him.

Mayock just got his pink slip as well.

The two most realistic options would be Carr and Cousin given the current circumstance of each franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised to the Steelers go after either one of those QBs.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Hammer

Carr has (24) 4th quarter comebacks and (30) game winning drives. Carr had 6 game winning drives just this year and led his team to the playoffs even with all the franchise issues this year.

I'd take Carr over Baker.

To each his own though.

It'd be interesting to see what the cost would be and the new regime may just want to keep him in the end.

1st String
1st String
I hope that Baker can be the QB there for the Browns. Just needs someone to believe in him!

April Showers and Easter 2024!
R
Legend
Legend
R
Im a little surprised that people still blindly support Baker. Baker is the reason your team is back to the cellar. He's the reason the championship window closed faster than it opened. He either doesn't work hard enough, isn't good enough, or both. He failed the fans and the organization. He rubbed your faces in his incompetence, and there is still a contingent talking about playing good on drives before drives or how no receivers are open. If he's gone, good riddance.

OBJ is currently rubbing his face in it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Im a little surprised that people still blindly support Baker. Baker is the reason your team is back to the cellar. He's the reason the championship window closed faster than it opened. He either doesn't work hard enough, isn't good enough, or both. He failed the fans and the organization. He rubbed your faces in his incompetence, and there is still a contingent talking about playing good on drives before drives or how no receivers are open. If he's gone, good riddance.

^Toxic reason why QBs dont want to come here.

No Craps Given
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker wanted to come here after the Browns went 1-31 and look what that got us.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I noticed your use of the word "your" in this post. Nothing but crap spews from your piehole.

Last edited by Hammer; 01/17/22 10:12 PM.
1 member likes this: FATE
E
Legend
Legend
E
He was drafted. It wasnt like one day he woke up and said "Gee, I really want to go play for this 1-31 team"

You really should go root for another team instead of wallowing in misery. Because guess what, Baker will be back next year. And your giant tears will be on full display.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
Really I hate this.

It is gut wrenching. My expectations this year where very high and now I feel like crap.

Football games are like 8 months away.

Between now and games I don't really don't want to hear a thing.

I was hoping to be playing now. I thought we could be good for years to come.

Now I don't know what we will be.

I guess I have moved on and while the season was frustrating and a wasted year because of injury and what the expectations were, life happens and you got to take the punches and move on.

There are several QB's that I would be happy to roll with next year other than Baker. None of them - other than JG because the 49rs drafted Trey Lance - that I think are realistic. Even a guy like Jimmy G who I like - if you talk to a 49ers fan, they will tell you they are winning because of the team and the run game, not because of JG. They are looking forward to having Trey next year ... that might tell us something.

There are a bunch of guys that might be possible - I keep hearing Carr mentioned. I think Baker might have more upside than Carr - and more downside. So I could be okay with a guy like Carr. There isn't (that I can think of now off the top of my head) another realistic candidate that I think is a better option than Baker. That's based on the assumption BM can run the Stefanski offense like he did at the back end of last year.

We have some needs - but the team is in good shape and can be 'fixed' pretty easily in one offseason. It should be an interesting off season.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
He lobbied for the Browns to draft him. Said he could turn the organization around.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well good for him. It doesnt really change things though.

No Craps Given
R
Legend
Legend
R
It doesn't change that he's awful.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
To.all the Baker supporters
How msny.playoff teams could he start for right now?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Right now, none. Because he has a busted shoulder and fractured arm. DUH

No Craps Given
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
How dare you use that as an excuse, Eve. Shame on you.

Last edited by Hammer; 01/17/22 10:51 PM.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz

I can’t believe you are so blind you can’t see you were played by OBJ.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Blame all of Baker's issues on his injury. He may be about the same level of QB as Derek Carr. What if he gets hurt again? We have to worry about him being one of the worst QBs in the league again? Other QBs play through injuries and their play doesn't suffer nearly as much as Baker's did this year (with worse injuries).

I'd take Carr and Cousins over Baker in a second if the price is reasonable (the price probably won't be reasonable). I think at the very least we need to bring in a backup that has the chance to raise our floor. Someone like Marcus Mariota or Teddy Bridgewater (who was with Stefanski in Minnesota). A guy who I'd love to have a shot at, but is probably unavailable, is Gardner Minshew.

M
Legend
Legend
M
A guy who I'd love to have a shot at, but is probably unavailable, is Gardner Minshew.

Great Value Baker Mayfield. Not a bad thing.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Milk Man
A guy who I'd love to have a shot at, but is probably unavailable, is Gardner Minshew.

Great Value Baker Mayfield. Not a bad thing.

He’s due to make $900K in 2022.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let’s just say that Browns fans will spend the next 9 months agonizing over Baker because they can’t accept the fact that he was hurt in 2021…

Me, I won’t spend a minute thinking about the past. It can’t be changed.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Let’s just say that Browns fans will spend the next 9 months agonizing over Baker because they can’t accept the fact that he was hurt in 2021…

Me, I won’t spend a minute thinking about the past. It can’t be changed.

I can accept the fact that he was hurt. I cannot accept the fact that his injury caused him to lose enough confidence to pass up open receivers. And if it did affect his confidence that much then I think that is a huge red flag and probably something that should be taken into consideration when planning for the future.

O
Legend
Legend
O
OBJ is a punk.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
We have a Colin Cowherd board poster who knows more than John Dorsey and Andrew Berry.

So the best course of action is to pay attention. Then forward on to Andrew Berry so Berry knows to cut Mayfield.

Or, I guess he could contact Mayfield and tell it would be best to retire from the NFL.

That league where unathletic guys make a meager living.

I said I agree. I don't buy all the negative stuff about Baker. My only contention is that I don't think Baker is as athletic as some others at the position.

My only negatives are I question his willingness to be coached and maybe his mental processing ability.

I know AVP made a big deal about his footwork. Last season that didn't look all that great. Maybe the shoulder had much to do with that...time will tell, but baker end up throwing off the back foot much of the time. Again, maybe that was a 1 time thing.

As for processing...he just doesn't. I am not saying the guy is stupid. Maybe the team needs to slow it down for him a little bit. He double clutches a lot. Sometimes he looks to not trust what he is seeing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Say what you will. Josh Allen was very raw coming into the NFL. It took a lot of time and work before he came close to what he is now. That was the worry in drafting him. That's why he was actually the third QB drafted in 2018. Trying to predict how or if he would develop into a good NFL QB was quite a gamble. The Bills won that roll of the dice. But let's not try and play 20/20 hind sight and pretend it was a logical conclusion at the time.

I agree, but there is a but...part of the deal when drafting players, especially QB's is projectability. You see it in baseball all the time. The problem with football is you draft a kid and they are on the big league team where is baseball they draft a kid and work him up through the minor league system over several years.

I have said I don't think Baker is open to coaching. That doesn't mean he doesn't listen, but I think he picks and chooses a bit too much.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted by Swish
jc

so now its the receivers.

aye chubb get ready next season. cause you, hunt, and d'ernest are definitely gonna be the fall guys. its always someone elses fault.

You're right, we are running out of scapegoats.

It was the OL, but it turns out they were #6 in the NFL this year. And with pass protection had a 67% win rate. Only 2 teams better, both with 68%. Someone pointed out that when Mullens played, he was not sacked at all even though we used both Hance and Hudson that game.

It was also the play calling, but it turns out we had more plays with open receivers than any other team in the NFL.

It was also the defense, though they were #5 in yardage allowed, and #1 in pass coverage. And gave up 16 or fewer points in 9 games, 5 of those divisional games.

I think right now it is analytics. And after that, I think you're right. It will be the run game. It's all that is left to throw under the bus.

I made the same point some time back. Now it is the coach and offensive system when last year the coach and O were the talk of the town.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just so people don't misunderstand, I don't want to get rid of Baker. It would be foolish to do so at this point, but Baker does need to pick it up.

I think Baker thrives on competition, but he is also thinned skinned. I wouldn't bring in a vet QB to provide that competition. I would draft a QB this year....fairly early...before round 4 as a wake-up call and to provide a back-up in the event we don't, or baker doesn't want to sign with us after next season.

So while I think it foolish to give up on Baker now, I think it equally foolish to think everything is going to be OK and go with the status quo. I don't think Berry can afford another season to play out like this past season, especially if he sits on his thumb this off season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Do.you have proof that the Browns would go through another 20 QBs if they moved on.from Mayfield.
If you believe in Berry like you have the last 6 GMs then he should have no issues finding
A replacement for Baker.
You act like Baker has took.this team to multiple AFC Championship games.
Baker is a good QB if everything is in.working order.
But the Browns need greatness from.the QB position. Good aint good enough anymore.
Because the AFC North has 2-QBs ahead of him.

Do I have proof - what kind of dumb statement is that - That is what we had prior to Mayfield an the "ASSUMPTION" would be that it would continue that way cause the franchise is just lost with no direction if they go and get rid of our FRANCHISE QB cause of an injury laden season. What I act like is Baker took us to our first Playoff WIN - Took us to beat the Steelers twice at their house in doing so...took us to the first 11win season since 1999. We have a good OL and great RBs but lack in playmakers and have one of the worst WR groups in the NFL.

What I act like is Baker after two weeks had the 3rd best ever completion % in the NFL over 80% then I saw the injury and instantaneously I saw his play go down - all wanted to blame it on Baker then they found out about the injury...then they found out how severe the injury was. But he kept on playing injured and throwing like crap. That plus the fact unlike all these great QBs mentioned he didn't have a Devonte Adams, Andre Hopkins, Wilson had several weapons he could throw the ball up to and have it caught, So does Mahomes, Herbert has Williams, Lamar and Andrews what does Baker have a posession WR in Landry

Do I have proof what kind of stupid question is that. Why has there been 20+ QBs before Baker who couldn't get a winning season or a playoff win. That is my proof cause its not as easy as you think. Its the rarest position in THE NFL QB, You enjoy Weeden as our QB go right ahead and release Baker. All this talk about getting Wilson, Aaron Rodgers unless its a fan growing up as a Browns fan THEY AIN'T COMING HERE!!!! Don't you get it. Soo unless Luck decides on a comeback that is the only guy I would think would come here no matter how much money you with to spend... hey lets get Carr...lol yeah ok after a couple weeks you all would be screaming for his head...lol

But hey lets run Baker out of Cleveland and then you ask hmmm why don't anyone want to play for the Browns. All these good kids will be leaving here if we get rid of Baker they will end up not wanting to play for the Browns...just do my job then when I can get out of here - like Alex Mack - and how many Browns do you see playing for other teams and doing well.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Would you consider Russell Wilson a upgrade over Baker Mayfield
Wilson did allude to he wants to explore his options
And look at other teams to play for

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
3 other teams - NO, NYG, and CHI.

Guess what - CLE is not on his list and never will be on his list and I can't imagine why.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Damanshot
To me it is about Bakers floor. It can go pretty low.

I doubt there is a QB in the league that doesn't have a damn low floor,,, if injured, as Baker was this past season..

This isn't the season to judge him.

All seasons are open to judging just like every day on the job for any of us is subject to judging. I am not saying we should fire him, but we might not want to run out and give him a raise.

No doubt,, But still, if he was not injured, would he have been able to duplicate the previous year... I like his odds of doing so...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Guess what - CLE is not on his list and never will be on his list and I can't imagine why.

That list of teams was from last off-season. I don’t think that means he would accept a trade to Cleveland now, just clarifying.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Does anyone here read? Its been posted at least twice by me, and several more times by others, that Russell Wilson has a no-trade clause, and there are only 3 teams he would waive it for - NY Giants, New Orleans Saints, Denver Broncos. For the geographically challenged out there, NONE of those teams are located in Northeast Ohio.

2 members like this: AZBrown, FATE
D
Legend
Legend
D

There's 18 inches of "why" outside my back door.

1 member likes this: Hammer
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dave
Does anyone here read? Its been posted at least twice by me, and several more times by others, that Russell Wilson has a no-trade clause, and there are only 3 teams he would waive it for - NY Giants, New Orleans Saints, Denver Broncos. For the geographically challenged out there, NONE of those teams are located in Northeast Ohio.

FWIW (not much) I have a high degree of skepticism for that list... and to a lesser degree, the stuff about Wilson wanting to go/stay has been all over the place.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not to jump on a dying horse with this get rid of Baker BS but if you're going to compare a guy like Carr to Mayfield then you're comparing apples to oranges. Carr has played for coaches that not only play to the QB's skill set but the offense is set up to make him successful with a skilled possession slot receiver in Renfrow, a top-flight TE in Waller, and most of the year a speedy field stretcher in Ruggs. Add into that fact that Carr had 208 more attempts for 1,800 plus yards clearly shows a significant difference in the scheme being played. Game winning drives and/or 2-minute drills don't happen for QB's just because they have the talent. They occur because the team constantly works on it developing not only the QB skills in the drills but also the receiver's skills in the drill. You can't expect your QB/line/receiver group to suddenly turn it on once every 5th or 6th game when you are not working on the drill and it not being a focus of your offensive game plan every week. Taking away 200-300 attempts a year from your QB and receiver's damages their chemistry. Without a good chemistry, positive results on the field are hard to come by and eliminating 200-300 attempts between them is counterproductive.

I will say it again, Carr or for that fact any top tier QB, is not going to come to Cleveland to throw 200-300 less attempts per year. Not going to happen, no way no how.

On another point, did anyone see the interview with the "GOAT" Tom Brady? I found it extremely interesting that he said he knows who he's going to throw the ball to before the snap. That going through the progressions that you hear about only creates issues with young QB's. He said that the defensive set and defensive adjustments from the offensive motion tells him where to throw before the snap. The chemistry he has with his receivers gives him that confidence to just throw it knowing they will be there. Interesting that the "Goat" doesn't even use the one weakness that many on this forum says Baker must improve at doing. Hmmmm.......

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
For you to believe what you're saying, it would mean that PFF has a different standard for other teams than it does the Browns. That somehow what an open WR means for us is different than what an open WR means for other teams. And no, you can not possibly watch "all Wr's and their routes" while at a game. And no, it's rare when the TV coverage EVER shows the routes of all WR's on a given play. Those are simply falsehoods.

What an open WR is in the NFL is not the same as it is in college. The windows are smaller and when you are a starting QB in the NFL you are expected to be able to hit WR's in those small windows. You're simply coming up with excuses to accept the facts you like and dismiss the facts you don't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg
I can’t believe you are so blind you can’t see you were played by OBJ.

Typical response from you. When Baker does well you never give anyone else any credit for it and talk only about how "Baker id great!" When Baker does poorly you point the finger at everyone but Baker.

It's that heads I win tails you lose game you've been playing ever since you followed Baker here.

All on has to do is look at how well an actual top level QB knows how to use OBJ. No wonder he wanted out of town. Staying here would have been a career killer for OBJ. It almost was. He just got out in the nick of time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet to this point there is nothing, and I mean nothing consistent about Baker that screams franchise QB.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
And last year Baker played in a system here that led to 11 wins and a playoff spot.

#gmstrong
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard