Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Dave
It would be nice if national media, politicians, and local community leaders would issue a statement lauding the officers for showing admirable restraint while subduing a large, agitated, and threatening man without using their firearms.

So the national media should give them special attention because they did their job properly?

Given the lack of trust in the black community towards LEO's, I think it should be acknowledged, yes. It might be viewed as a fart in a blizzard, but reporting on a positive development might help - even if only a little bit - to heal the rift.

Legend
Legend
Right now all we really know is the report.

Drugs provided by doctors prescriptions can be a major problems. You can take a pill for say high blood pressure. Yes it is important to read possible side effects.

Depression is a very common mental health problem. However, prescription drugs issued by doctors are more trial and error than accurate.

They experiment on you trying to dial in the proper dose. My brother has delt with depression for years. It is a difficult problem to deal with.

I am sure Malik is on some kind of meds. I can not say that it was the cause of this incident.

I am sure that over time more information will come out. He didn't just decide I am going to run around naked and then punch out an officer.

This man needs help. And he needs to be monitored to make sure he is ok.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The lawyer was suggesting he was slipped something.

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
It would be nice if national media, politicians, and local community leaders would issue a statement lauding the officers for showing admirable restraint while subduing a large, agitated, and threatening man without using their firearms.

So the national media should give them special attention because they did their job properly?

Assuming the officer isn't a 300'ish lb professional athlete... yep, pretty much.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro

I'm a cop. Guys like McDowell are a nightmare scenario when they start running around naked and threatening to fight. Tasers don't always work. He's charging at you. What's next? How fast can he run twenty or thirty feet? That's all the time you have left. And if he gets you he gets your gun. Ever fight someone that big, who probably isn't feeling pain like a mere mortal, and is not by any measure in their right mind? I have and he was in nowhere near NFL shape and I can tell you it is about as close to dying as it gets for most cops. He was alternating between ripping at my holster and pounding me in the face. I went all Pepe Le Pew on him with my OC spray, blinding us both in the process, but it winded him enough that I could get him into cuffs mostly because I sprayed it in his mouth. Against a pro athlete like McDowel I would not have been able to do that.

It's always a good day when someone obviously in some form of distress doesn't wind up getting shot in the process. Never hurts to slip an officer a donut and a pat on the back for doing things right.

I hope McDowell gets whatever is happening with him sorted out. He needs some professional help. Fortunately he has the resources to get it which is more than I can say for most folks who wind up in that situation.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
3 members like this: jaybird, Dave, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
Any time a perp goes after your gun I don't think an officer is wrong in shooting someone. This officer was not alone. I admire any cop who does the right thing. But doing the right things is what he or she is getting paid to do. It's their job. The sad part is dealing with the mentally ill isn't something they're actually equipped to deal with and for that part of it, I'm sad and feel sorry for you and every cop who is now saddled with having to deal with that while having not been given the training to do so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

I would argue that getting your eye beat in isn't doing your job properly.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, killing someone is better than taking a shot to the eye. Your post is what it looks like when life no longer has meaning. Depending on whose life it is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

TMZ released the video of McDowell.

There is video of him in a gym talking with people and acting completely normal just an hour before the incident. The next video he's lying in the middle of a busy road naked before following the police into the parking lot.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

There is video of him in a gym talking with people and acting completely normal just an hour before the incident. The next video he's lying in the middle of a busy road naked before following the police into the parking lot.

I hope they did blood work on him at the ER. It's completely out of character, even considering his previous arrest where he was drunker than William Holden on a ten day bender. I'm betting the charges on this one get dropped.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
You have to apply logic to all this.

Malik has serious mental health issues. We are not doctors.

The police did what they could do. This is beyond speculation.

When you have a history like he does and one minute you are fine and the next you go off the edge.

I hope he gets the help he needs. This is no picnic for this guy.

Legend
Legend
My prayers go out to Malik. From what I hear he is a good guy when his mind is right. BUt his mind is not right all the time. Not sure if he has mental problems, or CTE but his mind is not right. I will continue to pray for him and his family, but I think his NFL career is over.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: jfanent
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by jeepnstein
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I hope they did blood work on him at the ER. It's completely out of character, even considering his previous arrest where he was drunker than William Holden on a ten day bender. I'm betting the charges on this one get dropped.

Wow. A William Holden reference? That’s old school, man.

On a serious note, I hope Malik gets the help he needs. If he is thinking clearly right now, he must feel miserable.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
j/c:

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Legend
Legend
NFL career = toast.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, killing someone is better than taking a shot to the eye. Your post is what it looks like when life no longer has meaning. Depending on whose life it is.
The post he responded to could be taken the same way.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
NFL career = toast.

Just like Deshaun Watson's.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Right...I suppose you are going to be standing there with open arm when a large, naked man starts to charge you.

Your post verifies you don't have a clue.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: RememberMuni, 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Right...I suppose you are going to be standing there with open arm when a large, naked man starts to charge you.

Yet both the officer as well as Malik are alive today. And I'm the one who doesn't have a clue? Under your scenario one of them would have been dead. It's sad you do not support the actions of this officer when he actually did the right thing.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
The post he responded to could be taken the same way.

rofl

That would be a reach of epic proportions. The officer and suspect both lived. That's not about anyone dying.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Officer subdues someone (his job) who's orders of magnitude more in terms of size, strength, and crazy... without using his gun (his primary advantage in the situation), while picking up potentially permanent eye injuring from the beating he took. And your response is "big deal, he just did his job". Not a reach, IMO. It's either the officer's life has no meaning to you, or you're just a keyboard warrior.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: jfanent, Ballpeen
P
Legend
Legend
P
Words like "potential" play quite a role in spreading hyperbole. Getting hit in the eye. Can you tell me the odds of dying from that? And once again your hyperbole of me saying "big deal" and even putting it in quotes. Something I never said. Once again, you keep reaching. Who is it trying to play keyboard commando again?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I am glad it worked out the way it did, in that nobody died, but I would not have blamed the officer if he used a, shall we say, “tougher, more deadly approach”.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I understand that common sense sometimes isn't enough sometimes, but you have actual police officers commenting above in regards to handling these types of situations. You have a professional athlete pushing 400 lbs charging you that's clearly not right in the head... and using the accurate term of "potential eye injury" is hyperbole? You bring up hyperbole, and then say "Getting hit in the eye. Can you tell me the odds of dying from that?" If you tell me you're just trolling me to get a rise out of people, then I'll take the 'L'.

I paraphrased what you said, which should be pretty clear, but alright.... Tell me what you meant when you said "So the national media should give them special attention because they did their job properly?", and how it was so different from how I paraphrased it?

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's very different but of course you know that already. The reality of the situation is that tens of thousands of cops do the right thing on a daily basis. If we gave everyone of them national attention there would be no room for any other stories. We would have thousands upon thousands of stories like that. I think you knew that already too. Cops perform heroic deeds and act in heroic ways every day.

This cop handled it the right way. As such both are alive to talk about this very day. That's the exact same thing cops do across our nation every day. They do deserve recognition for that. That is the job they signed up for and I'm glad they did.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Yet both the officer as well as Malik are alive today. And I'm the one who doesn't have a clue? Under your scenario one of them would have been dead. It's sad you do not support the actions of this officer when he actually did the right thing.

I never said anything about anyone dying. I just find if clueless that you think the cop just did his job by getting punched in the face. I don't see it that way at all. But, now we are getting off football.

McDowell needs to be cut....or not signed again. The guy has problems and we need to walk away from that.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/20/22 05:49 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Words like "potential" play quite a role in spreading hyperbole. Getting hit in the eye. Can you tell me the odds of dying from that? And once again your hyperbole of me saying "big deal" and even putting it in quotes. Something I never said. Once again, you keep reaching. Who is it trying to play keyboard commando again?

You're the one using hyperbole. Threat of "great bodily injury" is justification for use of deadly force. This case most certainly met the definition. The officer should be recognized for exercising restraint.

“great bodily injury” is defined as a significant or substantial physical injury, and would include serious bruising or wounds, concussion, broken bones, and other serious injuries."

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
A
Legend
Legend
A
Again, keep in mind who you are discussing with. There's not a thread that doesn't have him posting in it, and there's not a single thread where he won't change the goalposts to suit him.

2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, RememberMuni
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Back on the topic. It's possible that Malik was either slipped something or has some mental issues, or (obviously) both. If he had never done anything like this before, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably smoked something or drank something that had something in it that he didn't know about. - For that, I'm sympathetic. However, He's very, very, lucky that the police officer showed restraint - the officer would have had every right to use force against him and in a well-run state like Florida, would have been fully exonerated. I'm sure Malik is looking at some time not only for being naked in public, but also for assaulting a police officer. As for his NFL career, agreed, it's over with. I'm sympathetic because if he was indeed slipped something, I can't imagine what it's like waking up to a nightmare like this.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I wish we knew the exact time of day this happened.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I wonder if he took bath salts. That ish will make you flip out.

No Craps Given
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Back on the topic. It's possible that Malik was either slipped something or has some mental issues, or (obviously) both. If he had never done anything like this before, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably smoked something or drank something that had something in it that he didn't know about. - For that, I'm sympathetic. However, He's very, very, lucky that the police officer showed restraint - the officer would have had every right to use force against him and in a well-run state like Florida, would have been fully exonerated. I'm sure Malik is looking at some time not only for being naked in public, but also for assaulting a police officer. As for his NFL career, agreed, it's over with. I'm sympathetic because if he was indeed slipped something, I can't imagine what it's like waking up to a nightmare like this.

Maybe he was slipped something. Maybe he wasn't. As for actions, he does have a history of bizarre behavior and attacking police officers. Obviously, he does have some sort of mental problem. What that might be, I am not qualified to make a guess. What is known is the guy doesn't need to be out in public until someone determines what it is and if it can be controlled.

As is, the guy is a menace to society.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
My guess on McDowell is he will be evaluated by doctors.

Hopefully when he was arrested blood samples were taken. I doubt that he was slipped something. But they may be able to determine that there are other causes.

Obviously, you do not go through what Malik has and suddenly run naked and assualt an officer. Something is wrong.

If it is determined that he can be treated, monitored and live a normal life perhaps he could resume his football career.

All that needs to be determined by professionals.

I wish him well and hope he can at least get the help he needs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
My guess on McDowell is he will be evaluated by doctors.

Hopefully when he was arrested blood samples were taken. I doubt that he was slipped something. But they may be able to determine that there are other causes.

Obviously, you do not go through what Malik has and suddenly run naked and assualt an officer. Something is wrong.

If it is determined that he can be treated, monitored and live a normal life perhaps he could resume his football career.

All that needs to be determined by professionals.

I wish him well and hope he can at least get the help he needs.

I agree though the thought of him playing football looks pretty slim to me. Determining what might be wrong is a process that will take more than a few months. He has already missed time, but as you said, the guy needs help.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Here is the thing.

No matter what he does for work in the future be it football or any other profession.

His mental health will need to be monitored. Most likely this will be apart of his life going forward.

I don't know from that standpoint if football is any more of a problem than doing any job.

If he can be treated effectively. He should not be denied the opportunity to play football and earn a living.

He had a serious ATV accident. He could be suffering from the results of that. I don't know. He was cleared to play football.

Takk had issues as well. The NFLPA will be involved as well as a medical prefessionals.

I wish him well.

D
Legend
Legend
D
There is the matter of the injured - possibly permanently disabled - policeman. McDowell will most likely spend time behind bars in the near term.

Legend
Legend
Possible not.

It all would depend upon if there were causes outside of his control for that caused his behavior.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm not an attorney, but I don't think "they slipped me a mickey" is going to work as a defense.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I don't think there is any way someone is getting away with charging, attacking and beating an officer.

Who knows though, there may be certain places in this country where you get a gift basket and some free meals.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Like i said i don't believe that anyone slipped him something.

Blood test may show other reasons. We don't know what meds he is taking?

What side effects those meds may cause? What the doctors reports were on his medical condition? I am sure he was evaluated by the Browns.

So maybe over time more information will come out?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Malik McDowell Arrested

Link Copied to Clipboard